[Drama 2019-2020] Stove League, 스토브리그

larus

I liked the first episode. I dont think you really have to know anything about baseball (i don't).

And i really liked and was surprised by that dinner date scene with Kim Junghwa. I thought it was cool that he is already in a relationship even though he didnt seem that into it. But i thought it would be cool to have that as a sideplot and not go for a romance between the leads. They can have a mentorship relationship. Maybe she finds someone as well. I like some romance in my dramas. But it doesnt have to be nessecarily between the leads. Well i did some reading and it turns out she is his ex wife and apparently she has a pretty minor role. I am a bit disappointed.

And it also seems like the plot with the top athlete is going to turn into some soap opera feud. He even gets beaten up in the preview..

I'd prefer the plot to be a bit more grounded.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I like Eun Bin's looks in this drama, but her character so far is lacking for me, i expect a different kind of attitude, my reaction is i always seen her like this, nothing new. But i like Goong Min's character so far,  calm, talk when you need to and act when its needed. I want to see what's his story in this drama. Looking forward to seeing him next week.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Premiere Watch: Stove League

by stroopwafel

Stove League

premwatch_stovel2.jpg

Time slot: Friday & Saturday
Broadcaster: SBS
Genre: Sports
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: Fresh off his success with Doctor Prisoner, Namgoong Min’s jumped back into the thick of things in this baseball drama Stove League. The premise of the show revolves around a baseball team that’s been languishing at the bottom of the league for years. In an attempt to turn things around, Namgoong Min is brought on board to manage the team. He’s the hotshot new boss, and though he wants the best for the team, his interpersonal skills (or lack thereof) make work a bit awkward for his colleagues and subordinates, Park Eun-bin and Jo Byung-kyu. It seems that everyone’s working towards the same goal of pulling the team up higher in the rankings, but Oh Jung-se, the grandson of the team’s original manager, has a different agenda in mind. Will a new manager be enough to save the team? It looks as though this will be a classic underdog story with a baseball twist, so even non-sporty people will be able to follow and enjoy the scheming and striving of all the players.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/12/premiere-watch-stove-league-crash-landing-on-you/

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Well... Just watched yesterday's eps & I am really enjoying this series so far! As always, Namgoong Min's straight-forward & calm talk is my favorite! He will really set the table right! And I also like Park Eun Bin's looks here! She looks feminine with short hair! Hope to see more of her talents here as we proceed! 

And we've got ratings as 5.5% & 7.8% for 3rd & 4th eps respectively! :) I am really looking forward to see more of this series! It's really refreshing!!!! And don't mind if these two have a low key love line!! :wub: Both are looking good together!

EL0A_YzWsAAGyn1.jpg

ELzZoa0UcAIV4AB.jpg

14 hours ago, Fabbo said:

I liked the first episode. I dont think you really have to know anything about baseball (i don't).

Yes, same here! I don't know a thing about baseball!!! This is my very first time watching one...! :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Yes, same here! I don't know a thing about baseball!!! This is my very first time watching one...! 

I am a little confuse with all the technical terms but I understand the basics. It is not an inconvenient to like the drama. My favorite moment was when Baek Seung Soo explained to the management team why it is good to trade Im Dong-Kyu.

I needed an explanation about his decision and the team also. I was in favor to get rid of Im Dong Kyu because not even a good player can compensate as lack of good character. I don`t care if he would have been the best player in the league, he is toxic.  But I like when we know the characters are thinking. It seems that Baek`s decission was not an emotional one. He had a good reason to come up with this plan. He has to reorganize the team.

Baek Seung Soo is a mystery so far. I noticed that he is distant even in the relationship with his girlfriend. He doesn`t talk much.

I don`t know why he doesn`t have any phone numbers saved in his phone. Something happended to his family? His brother is in a wheelchair. I want to know more about Baek Seung soo`s  life a.long with the solving problems to the Dreams team. 

Kwon Kyung-Min (the CEO or the nephew of the owner?) is another character that instrigues me. What exactly is his interest? Why he decided to get Baek Seung Soo? The scene of the end of the second episode make me confused. He hired Baek because after the winning championship all the team disbandment. What is his real interest? He wants the winning or the disbandment of Dreams?

I have a feeling that Kwon and Baek`s interest will collide at one point. But I hope they have the ultimate the same goal (to improve Dreams as a team).  I hope Baek`s new team will last after reorganizing the team. Who knows what other problem he will find at Dreams? Baek seems to be cleaning the dirt/corruption in those sport teams as well not only improving the game of its players.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Just saw this pic on the net & he is looking so bright! :wub: (I like him a lot as an older K-actor since Handsome guy & Jung Eum) And his strong personality fits so well with his character in Stove League! And things are getting really hot in the next week! Really interested in the unique plot... Looking forward! :)

EL0Tl5kVUAEMCqU.jpg

57 minutes ago, larus said:

Baek Seung Soo is a mystery so far. I noticed that he is distant even in the relationship with his girlfriend. He doesn`t talk much.

I don`t know why he doesn`t have any phone numbers saved in his phone. Something happended to his family? His brother is in a wheelchair. I want to know more about Baek Seung soo`s  life a.long with the solving problems to the Dreams team. 

Yes!!! I also noticed that Seung Soo is a restricted man.! He is keeping his girlfriend away & doesn't even have any contact numbers in his call log! And did you see that he takes photos of every meal he gets & I find it a weird habit for a grown man like him! :o I think something happened with his family so that's why he is gluing to a lousy baseball team... Just like his father's wish or something??! Can't wait for more... :wub:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, larus said:

Kwon Kyung-Min (the CEO or the nephew of the owner?) is another character that instrigues me. What exactly is his interest? Why he decided to get Baek Seung Soo? The scene of the end of the second episode make me confused. He hired Baek because after the winning championship all the team disbandment. What is his real interest? He wants the winning or the disbandment of Dreams?

I have a feeling that Kwon and Baek`s interest will collide at one point. But I hope they have the ultimate the same goal (to improve Dreams as a team).  I hope Baek`s new team will last after reorganizing the team. Who knows what other problem he will find at Dreams? Baek seems to be cleaning the dirt/corruption in those sport teams as well not only improving the game of its players.

My first impression of Kyung-min is that he wants a winning team(championship team) that he can sell later.

The first two epsiodes were intresting. this drama peaked my intrest only bc of namgoong min but the start was good. And every other that I watch ended so I had to start watch something. :wub:

I`m really intrested about Baek personal life and how he got this kind of professional job. Did he like sports whe he was young or did something happen to him to choose this line of job.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

And did you see that he takes photos of every meal he gets & I find it a weird habit for a grown man like him! :o I think something happened with his family so that's why he is gluing to a lousy baseball team... Just like his father's wish or something??! Can't wait for more... 

Him taking pictures of his food before eating is the brightest side of his character so far. :D He is taking care of his brother. He reminds me of Lee Dong-Wook`s character in drama Life. I wonder if Seung Soo feels responsable for his brother`s accident.

He came to the baseball game to see the Dreams team from the audience side. I think he already had an offer from  Kwon Kyung-Min. He saw some of the team weaknesses form outside but in the same time he noticed the audience, especially the children. You could be right, maybe his father was related with sports, or maybe he went with his father to see the games.

He said to his brother that he is not the person who lets someone beat him up but he let himself beaten just like he did with the other team. It was a prize he was willing to pay for scraping up the nest.  He is like a fixer. He needs a job but why he always gets the teams with the problem? It is a patern. He always gets the underdog or lousy teams and reorganizes them. He brought the teams to win the championship and they were anable to resist the changes and all disbanded?  Is important to have good players but the team behind them (the management team) is important as well. As we see, lots of people are working there. I hope they overcome all the changes and become a strong team. 

34 minutes ago, joccu said:

My first impression of Kyung-min is that he wants a winning team(championship team) that he can sell later.

That makes sense.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hi everyone! I watched ep 1 and 2 and I liked it. It has this vibe that just...I don't know how to explain it. It feels realistic. I have no clue about baseball, but that didn't deter me from enjoying the show so far. Ep 1 got a bit draggy in the middle but the ending made me want to watch ep 2. And ep 2 ending made me want to watch ep 3. Hahahaha :lol:

What do you guys think Seungsoo whispered to Dongyu, the bad baseball player? Dongyu was so shocked and he froze as Seungsoo walked away.

Seungsoo is an enigma. I rooted for him in ep 1, but ep 2 ending made me rethink that. Why did he choose Dreams? I thought he wanted to break his cycle of sports team disbandment, but from ep 2 it seems like a calculated move~ 

Seungsoo is savage.

YWY2R2.gif

1Wp2Dm.gif

And I really like this poster. Me thinks SL will be a heartwarming journey.

fullsizephoto1131183.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Dong Gyu's a thug & a bully.:unamused: I loved how Seung Soo got the entire management team to shut up during the meeting by providing valid points LoL. When cornered by Dong Gyu's minions, Seung Soo had his own backup too ahahah. Though why do all the teams he worked for ended up disbanding after winning championships??!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Stove League: Episode 1

by Sunny

StoveLeague01-00001.jpg

“Hot stove league” refers to the off-season of baseball when teams get ready for the next season. I wasn’t sure what to expect going in as this baseball drama isn’t exactly about baseball, but rather the politics that take place around a failing team in the time between seasons. However, I think this premiere was perfectly balanced and whether you love baseball or not, it was an enjoyable jaunt into the inner mechanics of professional baseball with a lot of fun characters at the helm.

NOTE: This is just a first episode recap.

EPISODE 1: “Dreams the Loser”

StoveLeague01-00008.jpg

A man we’ll come to know as BAEK SEUNG-SOO (Namgoong Min) flips through radio stations, landing on coverage of a baseball game. It’s the final game of the season for baseball team Dreams and it’s quickly made apparent from the sportscasters that they’re the worst team in the league — and have been for some years. One player still manages to shine, though, and the crowd cheers as IM DONG-GYU (Jo Han-seon) steps up to the plate.

Seung-soo arrives at the stadium as Dong-gyu hits a home run and the crowd erupts. When Dreams takes the outfield, however, pitcher Jang Jin-woo struggles to throw a decent pitch and the outfielders repeatedly fail to catch the ball. The team continues to flounder as the game progresses, causing fans to leave in disappointment. When even the mascot slumps onto the ground, it’s the final straw for management team member LEE SE-YOUNG (Park Eun-bin) and she storms out into the stands to reprimand him.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/12/stove-league-episode-1/

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Namgoong Min Gets Cornered In Upcoming Episode Of “Stove League”

Dec 20, 2019
by R. Jun

83e63c44d4104f008e96825dfbf4759a.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Stove League” has released new stills of Namgoong Min being accosted in a dark neighborhood street.

“Stove League” tells the story of a pitiful baseball team called Dreams that has lost the sympathy of even its fans. Namgoong Min plays Baek Seung Su, the team’s new general manager who comes in to switch things up. Park Eun Bin stars as Lee Se Young, the only female baseball team manager in Korea who has been in charge of Dreams for 10 years.

In the new stills, as Baek Seung Su gets cornered, he shows surprise and alarm, a large deviation from his usual stoic and cold demeanor.

A source from the drama said, “Namgoong Min always impresses the staff with how he puts the drama before himself. Watch episode three to find out how the fate of Dreams changes after this scene, which is like a red warning light for [Baek Seung Su].”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1372580wpp/namgoong-min-gets-cornered-in-upcoming-episode-of-stove-league

• Like 3
  • Love 1

“Stove League” Going Strong As Ratings Increase With Each Episode

Dec 21, 2019
by R. Jun
f1fca690ec7b4ecda61468c813807530.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Stove League” is going strong as the No. 1 Friday-Saturday drama with steadily increasing ratings!

“Stove League” tells the story of a pitiful baseball team called Dreams that has lost the sympathy of even its fans. Namgoong Min plays Baek Seung Su, the team’s new general manager who comes in to change things up. Park Eun Bin stars as Lee Se Young, the only female baseball team manager in Korea who has been in charge of Dreams for 10 years.

According to Nielsen Korea, the December 20 broadcast of the drama recorded 9.6 percent viewership nationwide, peaking at 11.3 percent in its most-watched minute. This is a 1.8 point increase from the previous episode, which recorded an average of 7.8 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1372775wpp/stove-league-going-strong-as-ratings-increase-with-each-episode

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Haven't watched yesterday's eps yet! But so glad that the series is having steady ratings! Let's hit double digits soon! :)

EMNyvu6UUAAMFqB.jpg

And just saw these pics on the net! Are they from yesterday or what? I am so excited to watch already!! :) Love Namgoong Min & Park Eun Bin! They look so good together! :wub:

EMSmStrU8AI3hG-.jpg

EMSmStuU0AAzuRE.jpg

• Like 4

Namgoong Min, Park Eun Bin, And Jo Byeong Gyu Meet At The Airport With Contrasting Feelings In “Stove League”

Dec 21, 2019
by L. Kim

ddaee7ba0a8c4f778e664485ab1b0e7f.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Stove League” has released new stills of Namgoong Min, Park Eun Bin, and Jo Byeong Gyu at the airport.

“Stove League” tells the story of a pitiful baseball team called Dreams that has lost the sympathy of even its fans. Namgoong Min plays Baek Seung Su, the team’s new general manager who comes in to switch things up. Park Eun Bin stars as Lee Se Young, the only female baseball team manager in Korea who has been in charge of Dreams for 10 years. Jo Byeong Gyu takes the role of Han Jae Hee, Lee Se Young’s co-worker at the operations team who got the job through connections.

On December 21, the drama released stills of Baek Seung Su, Lee Se Young, and Han Jae Hee meeting up at the airport. Baek Seung Soo and Lee Se Young are on a business trip to the United States. Baek Seung Su comes out of the gate with his signature placid expression while Lee Se Young is staring at something with a look of astonishment. Han Jae Hee is standing with a big grin on his face while holding up a poster that reads, “You’re late! Manager Baek Seung Su and Manager Lee Se Young. I came first in a parachute.”

SBS’s “Stove League” has released new stills of Namgoong Min, Park Eun Bin, and Jo Byeong Gyu at the airport.

“Stove League” tells the story of a pitiful baseball team called Dreams that has lost the sympathy of even its fans. Namgoong Min plays Baek Seung Su, the team’s new general manager who comes in to switch things up. Park Eun Bin stars as Lee Se Young, the only female baseball team manager in Korea who has been in charge of Dreams for 10 years. Jo Byeong Gyu takes the role of Han Jae Hee, Lee Se Young’s co-worker at the operations team who got the job through connections.

On December 21, the drama released stills of Baek Seung Su, Lee Se Young, and Han Jae Hee meeting up at the airport. Baek Seung Soo and Lee Se Young are on a business trip to the United States. Baek Seung Su comes out of the gate with his signature placid expression while Lee Se Young is staring at something with a look of astonishment. Han Jae Hee is standing with a big grin on his face while holding up a poster that reads, “You’re late! Manager Baek Seung Su and Manager Lee Se Young. I came first in a parachute.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1372802wpp/namgoong-min-park-eun-bin-and-jo-byeong-gyu-meet-at-the-airport-with-contrasting-feelings-in-stove-league

• Like 3
  • Love 1