[Drama 2019-2020] Stove League, 스토브리그

larus

Episodes 10 & 11 didn't disappoint. Our hero manages to turn what should have been a spring training fiasco into a fantastic opportunity for the less experienced players to improve their skills. He also allows himself to feel more comfortable and to occasionally smile as he observes his brother confidently perform in his new position. Larus' observations about Kwon are right on target.  As for Im Dong Kyu, the throwaway remark in ep. 11 that he looked much bigger made me think that he will be the one outed for steriod use.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Finally. We get to see some action. Dong Gyu faces off with his former team - the Dreams. This is war & I can't wait! 

Yes show down!! :lol:

I am really enjoying all aspects of this show.  It’s a real eye opener into Pro baseball for me.  I never knew it was such an involved process.  I always assumed you had the one coach but then to discover there’s a pitching coach, batting coach, overall head coach, bench coach (?). And then there’s the recovery/injury team (physios).  The stats team, operations and of course marketing.  :blink:.  And then you have to work with all the different egos and needs of the different players.  Bringing all these moving parts together so it functions like a well oiled machine is no mean feat.  The stats and acronyms sort of fly over my head but it’s fascinating.

I have hope the Kwon will come around.  His dad seems to be a grounded well loved (in the past) previous owner of Dreams.  Hands on.  Probably hopeless with the business side of baseball but good with the people side of things.  Hopefully Kwon will come around in time and reconciles with his folks and soften in his approach to the team 

• Like 3

4 Things We Loved & 2 Things We Hated About The First Half of “Stove League”

Jan 22, 2020
by EvaCh10
ad46b5dc51d04c3cb6cfd516d3101c8c.jpeg?s=

You don’t have to know baseball to fall in love with “Stove League.”

SBS’s new drama is making home runs in South Korea for a reason: it’s heartfelt and addicting. In the first nine episodes, Dreams — consistently the worst professional baseball team in South Korea — is forced to undergo drastic changes, starting with a new general manager. Not only does GM Baek Seung Soo (Namgoong Min) turn everything upside down during the off-season, he shocks the management staff and players with his wit, cold personality, and kindness. Here are four things we loved and two things we hated about “Stove League” so far.

Warning: minor spoilers below!

LOVED: Baek Seung Soo’s witty comebacks

Stuck with corrupt staff and aggressive players, GM Baek Seung Soo copes in tight situations by dishing out witty comebacks with his dry sense of humor. You can’t help but feel frustrated (and happy) with Baek Seung Soo. It’s no wonder why “Stove League” feels nothing like the American baseball film “Moneyball.” Baek Seung Soo is fleshed out, much more than a smart GM who uses stats to make wise decisions. We can’t wait to know more about why Baek Seung Soo is cold and guarded with his feelings and hilariously sarcastic the next.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1377406wpp/4-things-we-loved-2-things-we-hated-about-the-first-half-of-stove-league

The only thing that I hate about Stove League is that I have to wait another week to see a new episode.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Unique Characters And Match-Ups In “Stove League” That Bring The Office To Life

Jan 24, 2020
by C. Hong

7d11325a1e9c48a6af63581386cc656f.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Stove League” may be taking a break this week due to the Lunar New Year holiday, but the story will be kicking into a higher gear when it returns!

“Stove League” tells the story of Dreams, a professional baseball team that has come last in its league for several years. Namgoong Min stars as Baek Seung Soo, an unconventional new general manager who shakes up the team during the off-season.

The drama is also populated with a varied cast of unique and interesting characters, from the baseball players on Dreams, to the office workers who strive to manage the team, to the rival baseball players and managers across the league.

Head Manager Baek’s Left and Right Hands

park-eun-bin1.jpgjo-byeong-gyu.jpg

Park Eun Bin co-stars as Lee Se Young, the team leader of the management team and the youngest female manager of a professional baseball team in South Korea. Jo Byeong Gyu has been charming viewers as Han Jae Hee, the youngest member of the management team. Although Lee Se Young initially disliked Baek Seung Soo, the two have built a close working relationship and she is now his right-hand man, trusting in his decisions even when she doesn’t agree with them. Han Jae Hee is Baek Seung Soo’s loyal left hand and fulfills multiple roles such as treating potential players to meals and seeking out old players in unconventional places.

The two of them also have a cat-and-dog relationship with each other. Lee Se Young and Han Jae Hee initially got off on the wrong foot, but she was slowly won over by his determination to succeed on his own terms. She scolds him a lot, but has come to depend on him as well.

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1379105wpp/unique-characters-and-match-ups-in-stove-league-that-bring-the-office-to-life

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Jo Byeong Gyu Talks About Working On “Stove League,” Keeping In Touch With “SKY Castle” Co-Stars, And More

Jan 25, 2020
by L. Kim
88332e7c70f04f959f5ef59ee92d9eab.jpeg?s=

Jo Byeong Gyu recently participated in an interview for the Lunar New Year!

Currently, the actor, who rose in fame after his acting in JTBC’s “SKY Castle,” is starring in the SBS drama “Stove League” that tells the story of Dreams, a professional baseball team that has come last in its league for several years.

In regards to “SKY Castle,” Jo Byeong Gyu commented, “[The drama] ended in early February [last year]. It is a work that I will never forget, but at first, I was reluctant to be recognized as a student by viewers. I was wary of the limitations of the way people will see me when I appear as a student. But now that I’ve done it, I think it was a double-edged sword. There have been some unexpected problems, but there have been many good events. I know it’s a grateful and precious piece, but I think I’ll get arrogant if I focus on those aspects too much. I am only concentrating on my work.”

When asked if he stills keeps in touch with his “SKY Castle” co-stars, he answered, “[Kim] Dong Hee moved near my house. He’s actually my high school junior, so I see him very often. These days, he’s very busy filming ‘Itaewon Class’. I contact the other actors often, too. [Kim] Hye Yoon also worked hard to film a drama last year, and I’m happy everyone is doing well.”

Concerning his “Stove League” co-stars, the actor shared, “[Park] Eun Bin is the nicest actor I have ever met. Acting can make you sensitive, but I’ve never found such a side in her. During JTBC’s ‘Age of Youth 2,’ she appeared as my older junior classmate. I have good memories from then, too. I love how she didn’t change. She’s been acting for 24 years, but she’s really nice and humble.”

Then he added, “Namgoong Min is a perfectionist. He’s really detailed when he acts. He must have went through a lot to get to his current position, so I am impressed by how he always practices without losing his original resolution. I’m acting by learning from him. The two of them have more than 20 years of acting experience. Despite the long time, they have full passion for acting.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1379247wpp/jo-byeong-gyu-talks-about-working-on-stove-league-keeping-in-touch-with-sky-castle-co-stars-and-more

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Stove League, I have missed youuuuu!!!!

I tend to watch Kdramas without subtitles, just cos I can, but I never can with Stove League. I try, but the terminologies just fly over my head and I'm like... nope! Gotta give this drama the respect it deserves and watch with subs! 

• Like 3

The  Vikings manager is a hoot.:w00t: Ha-ha it's funny how Seung Soo repeated what Dong Gyu said word for word, even if he was cussing! And he has such a straight face sayin' it too.:lol:

The Dreams team did well for their training. I like how they tried to build Min Ho's confidence back up. I think he looks like Nam Joo Hyuk a lil. Jae Hee was really loud during the commentary, no wonder his gf irl said he's annoying LoL.:P 

It was cute how  Se Young got protective by running over with a rock during Seung Soo's confrontation with Dong Gyu eheheh. I think she's better off with Jae Hee~ WhoA Seung Soo finally lost his cool at the end of ep.12. I hope the doping scandal won't hurt the Dreams, same with the audit etc. Geez give Seung Soo a break drama LoL. Cut him some slack.    

• Like 6

It was so funny how Jae-Hee was so loud commenting the game (very passionate about Dreams and baseball) and Young-Soo keeping so cool, subtle in baseball understanding. They made a good team of commentors. I would like to hear them commenting Dreams` games this season.

A funny scene was when Vikings manager was so happy that his team won and he saw the Dreams staff smilling. I was like him. What`s with that smile on your faces? :w00t: I am glad that Min Ho took a step forward in the right direction.

I felt sorry for Kwon Kyung-Min because he has a thankless mission but I was glad that Seung Soo confronted him. I never saw Seung soo lose his tamper like he did in the end of the episode 12. Let see what is happening next.  The dopping is another hot issue of sport world. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

I think JH has a feeling for SY no? When she asked him to take SS for a dinner and he said no but when she said she would he said yes...sort of didn't want them to be together lol.

KM lost his ground because of his dad's past is awful. He didn't want to be looked down upon and thus being such a pain for the team.

Why did SS look so cool while losing his temper??? Why??? :wub:

Dopping issue was on! What was with LDG and KDK???

Huh, I think they might trade Kang DuGi for Im DongGyu.

Dreams already has great pitchers in Robert Gil ChangJu and Jang JinWoo, though of course Kang DuGi is currently unrivalled, but they don't have any noteworthy heavy hitters like Im DongGyu. Meanwhile, Vikings has NO pitcher now. Their top 2 got banned for doping. 

I gotta say, Vikings is like Dreams' training centre, LOL. Both Kang DuGi and Im DongGyu grew so much over there, haha.

But it's no wonder Im DongGyu is Dreams' best batter - he trained against Kang DuGi, the best pitcher. If only there were a day they reconcile and get back together again. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, babyolala said:

I think JH has a feeling for SY no? When she asked him to take SS for a dinner and he said no but when she said she would he said yes...sort of didn't want them to be together lol.

KM lost his ground because of his dad's past is awful. He didn't want to be looked down upon and thus being such a pain for the team.

Why did SS look so cool while losing his temper??? Why??? :wub:

Dopping issue was on! What was with LDG and KDK???

I don't think that's the main reason JH agreed to dinner with them. It kinda like he want to ask BSS about what he heard before.

And so we have LDY’s redemption arc.  Although I still can’t forget his bad attitude. <_<.  SS is really a master strategist.  You have to respect his mind and his “sarcasm” :D. I have to say that I like watching the growing closeness of the brothers.  His brother is also becoming a core part of the analysis team.

• Like 1

I just finished episode 13.

I was not really surprized that Lim Dong-Gyu did not take drugs (I supected that others from Vikings were on that list) but I did not imagine that the gambling was his dark issue. I was sure that Baek Seung Soo will want him back to the Dreams. I was the first to be glad that he was out of the team because of his distructive behavior but now he is another Lim Dong Gyu and I was happy that Seung Soo  offered him to go back. I almost teared at the scene. It moved me to see how seung Soo gave him another chance. I was glad that Kang Du-Ki talked with Lim Dong Gyu to clear misunderstandings. This talk even help Dong Gyu to confess. This issue was pulling him behind.

Kudos to Ms Kwon who help the team even without wanting. :w00t: I really like how Seung Soo, sarcastically , thank him to want to do the right thing.  Yeah, they have chemistry. :lol:

I saw the preview and I see that they have problems again.

5 hours ago, Banana said:

Huh, I think they might trade Kang DuGi for Im DongGyu.

Dreams already has great pitchers in Robert Gil ChangJu and Jang JinWoo, though of course Kang DuGi is currently unrivalled, but they don't have any noteworthy heavy hitters like Im DongGyu. Meanwhile, Vikings has NO pitcher now. Their top 2 got banned for doping. 

I thought that Se-Young wanted to ask if he will get along with Lim Dong-Gyu and inform him that Dreams want him back. But I think what you said makes sense. As much as I hate to see someone so good from the Dreams go (not only very good player but a wise man as well), I understand why Seung soo will agree to trade Kang Du Ki with Im Dong Gyu. The Dreams have a good pitcher in Robert Kil (like the manager of Vikings said, the Dreams have another Kang Du Ki) but they need a better hitter. Seung Soo is strengthening the team. To be a better team they have to have good players in all positions. We`ll see. 

• Like 1

I knew it! Im Dong Gyu will be back. Lol. The poster kinda spoiled it. I kinda afraid if they want to trade KDK with IDG coz he really want to retired with Dream. Right now they mend their friendship, I hope both will stay with Dreams.

22 minutes ago, larus said:

I just finished episode 13.

Kudos to Ms Kwon who help the team even without wanting. :w00t: I really like how Seung Soo, sarcastically , thank him to want to do the right thing.  Yeah, they have chemistry. :lol:

I saw the preview and I see that they have problems again.

i loled at that scene. BSS with sarcastically straight face. We don't know if him being sincere or not.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, yoeda said:

i loled at that scene. BSS with sarcastically straight face. We don't know if him being sincere or not.

It was a silent power struggle between them. Seung Soo could not laugh in his face (it is not his style anyway to prove someone wrong just for his ego) but he told him what he wanted to say . Kwon knew very well that his plan did not work and he played along with Seung Soo. It was a hilarious scene because they had Jang Woo-Seok as an inocent audience. He did not know what is going on with those two men. It was too subtle for him to understand. :lol:

44 minutes ago, yoeda said:

I knew it! Im Dong Gyu will be back. Lol. The poster kinda spoiled it. I kinda afraid if they want to trade KDK with IDG coz he really want to retired with Dream. Right now they mend their friendship, I hope both will stay with Dreams.

I wish both will stay with the Dreams as well but, realistically, they could not stay both. No profesional team will trade a good player for someone less worthing. Vikings had a hit and they want desperatly a good pitcher. Dong Gyu is not playing half of season, but he could still help the team. If right now Vikings have no more good pitchers but they still have a good hitter, they need to trade for a pitcher. Same with Dreams. Let see. The teams want to have the best players but let see how they will do on the field. I wonder if we`ll ever see something from the championship.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yoeda said:

I don't think that's the main reason JH agreed to dinner with them. It kinda like he want to ask BSS about what he heard before.

Also when BSS asked HJH if he wanted to keep his post because of someone and he glanced at LSY, I was like "awww...." haha. Maybe I was too attached of their cute banter that I wanted something happened to them lol.

KDK and LDG love Dreams so much that I don't want any of them to go. But BSS is BSS, loving Dreams isn't enough reason if they weren't actually needed by the team huft. Let's just see.

On the preview, there's someone walking out of the field in Dreams uniform. I wondered who is it. He looked somewhat dejected.

• Like 1