[Drama 2019] Leverage, 레버리지

0ly40

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0eb040a5a1da4ba7b7914d7ecffb2b3d.jpeg?s=

Leverage” Cast Talks About Ratings Goal And How The Remake Is Different From The Original US Series

Oct 10, 2019
by U. Kim

On October 10, a press conference was held for TV Chosun’s new drama “Leverage.”

“Leverage” will tell the story of Lee Tae Joon (played by Lee Dong Gun) who transforms from Korea’s former top insurance investigator to its top con man. He teams up with the best con artists to get revenge on the wealthy and corrupt. It is a Korean remake of the U.S. series of the same name, which aired over five seasons on TNT. Lee Dong Gun, Jeon Hye Bin, Kim Sae Ron, Kim Kwon, and Yeo Hoe Hyun are the main cast members.

Director Nam Ki Hoon explained the difference between the Korean version and the original version, saying, “The original drama has American elements. That can be a positive thing, but [in the remake], we added Korean elements and touched up the colors and visual aspects a bit more.

The actors also shared their excitement for the drama’s premiere. Jeon Hye Bin, who originally had other plans after her previous project KBS’s “Liver or Die,” said, “I actually rejected [‘Leverage’] once because I already had other plans. Then I once picked up the script without much thought, and it was so interesting. I felt like I would regret my choice, so I decided to postpone my other plans and choose [‘Leverage’]. There are days when I get a gut feeling. It’s not something that comes often in life, but I had the gut feeling that this production would hit the jackpot.”

Lee Dong Gun added, “The original drama has lots of American elements, and we deviated from that. This is a drama that [Korean] viewers will watch, so we tried to portray it in a different and captivating way.”

Adding to this, Yeo Hoe Hyun said, “At the same time, we tried not to harm the original drama. I think an American ethos is different from a Korean ethos, but it wasn’t too hard to portray our characters in the Korean way. I also think that the casting was done well because [the actors] each have strong characteristics that were depicted well [in the drama]. You can look forward to it.”

leverage-xpn-2.jpg

Kim Kwon explained how he prepared for his role as Roy Ryu, who is described as a “human weapon.” He said, “I don’t normally have a ‘macho’ image like the original character, so I thought a lot about how I should build my own Roy. I had to focus and bulk up, so I naturally received a lot of help.” Kim Sae Ron shared, “I tried to portray [my character] by focusing on her free-spirited, bright, lovable, and quirky personality.”

“Leverage” will air two episodes back-to-back every Sunday. Regarding the unique broadcasting schedule, director Nam Ki Hoon shared, “There haven’t been any precedents of this so there’s some pressure, but I’m feeling confident because viewers will watch the drama if it’s entertaining.” He added, “I hope we hit TV Chosun’s highest viewership ratings.”

Jeon Hye Bin shared, “I once said that we should aim for 10 percent ratings for the first time in TV Chosun’s history, and if that happens, I’ll be really happy.” The director promised that he would reveal his self-composed “Leverage” theme song on YouTube if the drama reaches 10 percent in ratings.

“Leverage” premieres on October 13 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

Soompi

d1832c307d4144fdbb1944cb1c2d8ddf.jpeg?s=

Lee Dong Gun Talks About Difficulties Of Balancing Work And Child CareLink

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

2) In the US version, Parker doesn't fancy any of the guys initially, but in this version, it seems that Parker comments that RR is just her style of guy. So, perhaps this signals a change in the flirtation dynamics?

Haven’t watched the US version so I will take your word for it.  It does seem like there’s going to be a competition for her affections (implied in the pics at Press Con - see below)?  But then again the boys could just be clowning around with KSR. :lol:

2019101001000659400056941.jpg

3 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Btw, KSR has grown up to be such a tall woman! I think she looks amazing. I hope that she gets a good feel for the character, and doesn't try to overdo the spunkiness or the quirkiness.

I adore her.  She’s tiny (frame) but she’s always had these fierce eyes which make me feel like she’s a pocket rocket and a force to be reckoned with.  It’s a hard act to follow when I read that there are a lot of “Parker” fans so she will be judged against the original.  Although from the teasers, it appears the Korean version seems to be giving the different characters a distinct alter ego?  Eg she’s spunky and Lara Croft like but she’s also afraid of mice?  And RR is a “human weapon” but at the same time turns to mush when it comes to his dog?  :lol:.  I am looking forward to these sudden shifts from danger to comedy to lighten the drama but I hope it’s not too slapstick.  I need it to be grounded in reality and not totally ridiculous, otherwise I will quickly lose interest.

I am heartened by the previews. It feels like they are trying with this. It gives me hope that this will be a decent adaptation. Stylistically it looks top-notch although I have a niggly complaint that the three youngsters look like they are fresh out of high school. :P I always liked the fact that Elliot (at least) was older and had a variety of military experiences.

Hahaha... There's even an elevator scene between the Parker and squeamish Hardison characters here! The biggest surprise is that Lee Dong Gun's son is still alive even after the formation of the team.

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The biggest surprise is that Lee Dong Gun's son is still alive even after the formation of the team.

Yeah that also surprised me. I mean how he is supposed to turn bad if his kid is still alive.  So there has to be a reason for the first heist. 

1 hour ago, joccu said:

Yeah that also surprised me. I mean how he is supposed to turn bad if his kid is still alive.  So there has to be a reason for the first heist. 

I think in preview we see that his son was killed some evil man, no? difference in K version is that team will have one bad guy and they will be fight with him... I think so. 

Well I like Parker and Hardison here too it seems that they still so fun like in original I like it so much.

What else .. I cant wait to see it

Oh forget to say, my my!!! Seron!!!! WOW!!! my little girl is so grow up!!!:love: And become so sexy and beautiful lady! Poor guys, she will break all of your hearts!  Cant wait to see her in action! She is so super cool in teasers.

7 hours ago, joccu said:

I don't think Nate Ford was ever "bad"... It's more the case that he was a man who really wanted to get results working within the system but got let down. It is true, however, that he constantly struggled with the ethics of what he did with the team which contributed in no small part to his dysfunctional relationship with alcohol for a time. I think in his own mind, at least in the early period, he always saw himself as the good guy who was "forced "to work with thieves out of necessity. It broke his heart a little, especially when he was trying so hard to be different from his father. I always saw him as a champion for the underdog who were victims of larger forces... and the legal system was inadequate to the task in terms of redressing those injustices.

As for the role of the son in this, I'm okay with these sorts of small changes. It is a K drama after all and I expect some melodrama. ;) But I can see why Koreans would take to the premise of Leverage. Five thieves with hearts of gold up against Big Business, Big Government and corrupt politicians.

On another note, I also enjoyed the inclusion of the FBI in the original series now and again... especially the one, Agent Sweeney, I think... who was crushing on Parker. I thought he was cute.

I think I am secretly glad I haven’t watched the US Version (although I have been trying to track it down online and can’t seem to find anywhere to watch it).  My previous experience from having watched a US version which was subsequently adapted to a Korean one was not great.  I kept comparing the pair which meant my experience with the adapted version was vastly diminished as a result.  That was Suits.  I couldn’t get past Ep 1.  There could only be one Harvey Specter :lol:.

I enjoyed Designated Survivor 60Days probably more so because I hadn’t watched the US Version.  I can only imagine adapting a well loved cast from the US Version would be tough for the writer here.  Everyone had their favorites so comparisons would be inevitable.  It would be interesting to see how the writer pens it to suit the Korean audience.  The comedic elements already hint at a departure and into the more familiar KDrama territory.  Like @stroppyse I hope it’s balanced and not overdone.

4 hours ago, nrllee said:

I think I am secretly glad I haven’t watched the US Version (although I have been trying to track it down online and can’t seem to find anywhere to watch it).  My previous experience from having watched a US version which was subsequently adapted to a Korean one was not great.  I kept comparing the pair which meant my experience with the adapted version was vastly diminished as a result.  That was Suits.  I couldn’t get past Ep 1.  There could only be one Harvey Specter :lol:.

I'm sure you are. ;) But it's just one of those realities of life that we all have to deal with. I don't abhor adaptations or remakes like I used to. Despite my whinging and whining I still take peeks, out of curiosity. There's a place for them... if done properly. (Although I'm still wondering about the wisdom of remaking The Princess Bride) I didn't know I needed a K version of Life of Mars until I saw it. However, that one was unusually good and it dealt with the world building properly.

The Chinese drama Vigilantes in Masks is also a remake of Leverage but done extremely cleverly by being placed in a anachronistic Ming dynasty based on a famous Chinese Robin Hood legend. I realised some time around the second episode... "Oh wow, that's just like Leverage... but with martial arts" 

It's one of the best IMO.

Let me know if you're still interested in watching the US version of Leverage. PM me. 

6 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Let me know if you're still interested in watching the US version of Leverage. PM me. 

Maybe after this one is done?  I don’t want to ruin my fun :lol:.  Thanks for the offer. 

So the first theft happens when the son is still alive well maybe he doesn't die at all(person can be hopeful). the kid look like he's in a hospital so maybe he's sick. to save his kid he turns to the wrong side of law. 

Nowadays i don't compare the original with the remake. Most time remake just doesn't hold if the original was so good. But there has also been good remakes .  

I'm totally waiting to see how the chem works with RR & GNB & LTJ( the original spencer, parker and hardison). I loved the those three.

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Leverage, 레버리지 - 2 Episodes every Sun @ 22:50 KST - Lee Dong Gun & Jeon Hye Bin - Premieres TONIGHT
3 hours ago, triplem said:

Viu is subbing . At least we know subs will be available 

Wonderful news!   Thank you @triplem.

Thank you to @0ly40 for starting the thread.

And hello to everyone here.panda-wave-smiley-emoticon.gif.   I have not watched the U.S. version, but I look forward to this drama because I love the cast.

Excited for it. Tomorrow's the day!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2234417d3e1644b29e83b403d1af6c15.jpeg?s=

“Leverage” Cast Is Ready To Bring Bad Guys To Justice

The five main characters of TV Chosun’s upcoming drama “Leverage” are looking like professional con-artists!

“Leverage” will follow the story of Lee Tae Joon (Lee Dong Gun), a former insurance investigator turned con man who gets together a team of con artists to target the wealthy and corrupt. It is a Korean remake of the U.S. TNT television series of the same name.

The stills released on October 13 show each of the con-artist team members gathered by Lee Dong Gun carrying out their individual missions. First, Lee Dong Gun shows off his charisma while watching the operation from behind the screen, giving orders to the members to make the mission a success.

Spoiler

Lee-Dong-Gun-1.jpg

Lee-Dong-Gun-Jeon-Hye-Bin.jpg

Kim Kwon, taking on the role of the human weapon Roy Ryu, is in a place that looks like a science lab, but his outfit is far from that of a scientist. On the other hand, Kim Sae Ron, playing the reckless and feisty thief Go Na Byul, is wearing a blue jumper, gloves, and a mask, ready to carry out whatever scientific experiment is needed to pull off a successful mission.

Spoiler

Kim-Kwon.jpg

Kim-Sae-Ron1.jpg

Yeo Hoe Hyun, who will play the tech genius Jung Ui Sung who usually spends time behind the scenes, has left the headquarters and is put into work on the field. Jeon Hye Bin, the failed actress Hwang Soo Kyung, looks ready to take on whatever roles are given to her by their boss Lee Dong Gun.

Spoiler

Yeo-Hoe-Hyun.jpg

Jeon-Hye-Bin.jpg

The production team stated, “Adrenaline-kicking and heart-thumping fraud plans will be played out for two hours straight. You will be able to witness great humor, lively action, and thrilling excitement even from the first episode as it shows the process of unique players gathering together to officially begin their project. Please look forward to it.”

“Leverage” will premiere on October 13 and air two episodes back-to-back every Sunday at 9:30 p.m. KST.

source

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Leverage, 레버리지 - 2 Episodes every Sun @ 22:50 KST

Archived