[Drama 2019-2020] Woman of 9.9 Billion, 99억의 여자

larus

What i don't get is what is all the fuss with moving the money around to hide it just dig a hole pour petrol and burn it. gosh! 

@lebeaucouple , @imgreatgal that what I understand 

5e0f664932e77217435270.gif?download

That was his the plan from the start , he want to celebrate his war crime success ,   by making party and burn the money he make cash  but his position  was leaked to the police and he have to leave country fast & leaving the money that was only link to his crime because money 

5e0f65bd407df423150629.gif?download

** I think he couldn’t trust anyone to burn the money , because the greed money bring to his men , he want to burn it himself when he comeback but would he :joy:

@lebeaucouple I watch on ..... :relaxed:

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.. am as confused wth this money.. buried, moved around, stolen and returned and to be destroyed???

Suspected HJ must be deeply involved as Ms Jang clearly showed intense hatred towards HJ.

HJ potrays herself as someone out to seek justice for all the victims of this money scam and going all out to uncover this Leon fella.

Was her being close to SY  (even letting SY have an affairvwth her husband) is one of her means to track SY's brother who is known to be close wuth Leon?

Its so confusing.

The accident happened close to HJ's  holiday retreat, was the van driver following HJ's orders.. (she must already know the driver works for SY's brother ). HJ is quite brutal even had the man who murdered Mira killed off.

So is HJ "the person" TW is looking for (responsible for death of his brother).

Neway no news of MsJang aft being sent to the hospital. Wondering if Leon is her son, took her out fm the hispital and later bith team-up to go after HJ - also making use SY.

4 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

the actor who plays Seo Yeon's psycho hubby kept mentioning how he wished the actress who plays his tortured wife - Cho Yeo Jeong's luck to rub off on him. As she's been in the acclaimed Parasite. So I guess he's sick of bein' typecasted into these abusive, villain type roles too.

I really like his speech at KBS Drama Awards. I smiled even when I did not know what he said.

He joked that people around him fear when he doesn`t laugh and when he laughs, when he speaks formally or he speaks informally. He can feel the popularity. :w00t: He finished saying that he likes to play next in a nice drama like When the Camellia Blooms.

Last year he received a similar award at SBS Drama awards for his role in Ms Ma, Nemessis  and he did not play the villian. Finally. :w00t:

This year (last year more exactly. I forgot that we are in 2020 nowB)) I saw him in Chief of Staff also. He was cast in not so nice guy again. He is a good actor. I enjoy seeing him as a bad guy but I wish they won`t typecast him always in villain roles.

6 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Yes, about the leak up whereabout Leon position 3 years ago, who is the culprit ? HJ, or Kim or Seo or Baek. So far we know Kim, Baek and Park are all worked under Leon which received order from him directly to clean money

We don`t know for sure now. I put on the list the young man who died that day. He said to Tae Woo that they are there because of his lead/pont.

2 hours ago, larus said:

I really like his speech at KBS Drama Awards. I smiled even when I did not know what he said.

He joked that people around him fear when he doesn`t laugh and when he laughs, when he speaks formally or he speaks informally. He can feel the popularity. :w00t: He finished saying that he likes to play next in a nice drama like When the Camellia Blooms.

Last year he received a similar award at SBS Drama awards for his role in Ms Ma, Nemessis  and he did not play the villian. Finally. :w00t:

This year I saw him in Chief of Staff also. He was cast in not so nice guy again. He is a good actor. I enjoy seeing him as a bad guy but I wish they won`t typecast him always in villain roles.

We don`t know for sure now. I put on the list the young man who died that day. He said to Tae Woo that they are there because of his lead/pont.

His speech when he got the award was really funny. For the record, he played a nice guy in Prison Playbook. At first the character seemed like he would be mean, but it turned out he was a prison guard with a gruff exterior and a heart of gold. Ha ha.

He is so good in this show. Really menacing and creepy. Definitely award-worthy.

@larus and @chickfactor 

Thanks for sharing and your comment on the supporting actor, Jung Woong-In. This is the first time I watched this actor in this drama, i found him so hilarious whenever i see his face, although he was creepy and insane at first, i think i must give credit to the writer to make such character so versatile and comical in the middle part, and also credit to @Ameera Ali to make him so entertaining in the gif image....:w00t::lol::D

7 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

1. Where was the 100k trap began by HJ? Was it hide inside the building set up by HJ ? The building where TW and Leon met?

2. Who is the one holding 100k now? The police or kim (thug)? I am also confused on this part...:D

3. Was 100k out from this 10 billion stolen money by SY? or from previous 300mil investment fraud? Drama did not explain clearly. I am also confused on all these...:unsure:

1. I believe this could be when Leon turned the 10mil from the 300mil into cash

2.The 100k is in the 10mil/10bil (I'm always confused with this part) like I said only the one who set the trap knows this. I think HJ found that out when she received the money from SY for the foundation.

3.i think no.2 already made it clear. That explains why KDH is willing to kill for it.

Why do I feel that Leon is MsJang's son? She seems to be really pissed off with HJ and her father and I don't believe HJ is all that noble wanting to catch Leon for sake of the other victims of Leon's fraud.

Really good episodes. We got some more insight about their relationships. How it started with Seo Yeon and her husband. And especially with Hee-ju and Jae-hoon. It was always kind of a mystery to me why she chose him.

But this puts it pretty well. Great quote :D

Do you want to make me into an ordinary woman?

You're a gift sent to me from the deity.

Just in case I'm too perfect, you're a gift that he sent... as a handicap.

I really liked their scene. And i am glad that the murder isn't completely shrugged off like in so many dramas. 

I asked a friend who works in a bank if one can secretly mark a banknote and she laughed and told me it's on YouTube lol. Yes! It just take a highlighting liquid and a glow light. In other words it doesn't have to be the serial numbers. But then again to it will only raise suspicion if huge sum was spent at once.

@larus

Yea I understood that part where the actor wanted to be in a project like When the Camellia Blooms. I think all actors did ha-ha! It did make a clean sweep at the awards ceremony after all. Most deservedly - Son Dam Bi, Kang Ha Neul & of course Gong Hyo Jin. 

The only relief I got out of Seo Yeon's psycho hubby is despite his violent, abusive tendencies, he is just weak physically LoL. I mean he gets overpowered by Jae Hun even. And he's like a skinny guy.:lol: And yes he's a good actor, I remembered his menacing role in I Can Hear Your Voice & just hated him so much.:P He just has that kind of face unfortunately LoL.

It's like Jackie Chan too. He often mentions how much he liked to be cast for a more dramatic role instead he gets all these action, stunt roles.  

Just caught up. This drama is really good and the plot is unpredictable. The character that continues to surprise me the most is Hee Ju, with new revelations every week. Last week, we already had an inkling that she was well aware of the affair that SY and JH had but I did not expect her to have been linked to that stolen money . Another interesting plot twist was that Baek is SY's half brother...now I understand why they wished to protect each other. 

@Ameera Ali  @imgreatgal @lebeaucouple So from what I understand , HJ planted that cash there to get Leon to reveal himself. Leon is this big time  scammer / gangster who had committed some investment fraud that cost many companies to lose money. Let's not forget that HJ runs the Um An foundation which i believe is a front that she and her father uses to help other firms with money laundering activities . What Leon did probably affected her business and she (or the firms they manage )may have lost money thanks to Leon. Unfortunately, Leon's identity is unknown to most and what HJ is trying to do by planting those notes there is to find who he is. All he needs is to spend the money , and they can follow the money trail.  What happened 3 years ago was that Leon had to leave SK when his whereabouts were being tipped off to the cops ( HJ , I believe was the one that gave the tip) . Coincidentally, the cops on the chase was Tae Woo and his colleague who died. ( there is your k drama link there) . Leon gets runners like Kim Do Hak to help him hide and shift his money around. So why can't he just burn the money?Because  in that pile of money , only a small % of the cash is likely secretly marked...he won't be able to know which notes...burying it is the best option for now.  That's what I understand so far. 

By the way it is not so easy to move money to offshore accounts...many countries have very strict laws about how much money you can transfer abroad or even physically move the  money. You actually have to declare when you're taking money with you above a certain sum. 

@imgreatgal the translators like to use millions as opposed to billions because they convert it to dollars. At this point 10 billion won = US$10 million. ( though present exchange rate is actually closer to US8.5 million) ...hence the confusion for us. Basically 1% of the money inside the original has been planted with notes that can be tracked by HJ. 

While I did not like the fact that SY had to go back to her abusive husband, I thought it was probably the most strategic thing for her to do right now.  It is easy for the others to tell her to just walk away and let the money go but I understand why she is adamant to get it back. SY has nothing to lose anymore. Her life before this had already lost meaning and purpose. Finding the money will give her the second chance. So she knows that going back to psycho hubs will be the best way for her to find that money

Although the romance here is slow,  it so good...the wistful looks ,  the hand /arm grabbing...you can tell how much they have  both fallen for each other. Especially in TW's case, it was clear to Baek and the gangster friend that SY means something deeper to him. He was so relieved to find out Baek wasn't an ex lover , then only to feel conflicted that he was the brother because Baek could have been responsible for Tae Hyun's death. ....darn it ...I know we will be lucky if they both stay alive at the end of this but I really want them now to escape to Tahiti together..:lol:

Kim Kang Woo and his action dramas! He really excels in them just like in his other drama with our heroine JYJ. In that drama there was lots of actions too although it isn't as DARK as this.B)

Although there aren't any skinship yet between them, you can feel their chemistry just like in HL. I felt that KKW also deserves an acting award for his rivetting acting just like JYJ at the recent KBS Drama Awards.  :wub:

This is a drama that you need to really focus and pay full attention every second as the plotline gets more intensified! :relaxed:

Just tentatively coming on board.

I'm here almost entirely for Kim Kang Woo ;) although I think the cast as a whole is terrific, the titular character in particular is a complex character. She's a walking ball of sunshine and exudes love everywhere she goes. ;) Jokes aside, apparently her life has hit rock bottom (so she thinks) and she's ready to end it all when a whole lot of cash falls into her lap. Clearly there must be something about the water in this universe because everyone seems to act like they are perpetually on steroids.

To some degree I find the show hard to watch because of the idiocy that results when the key players are blinded by desperation and greed. However, I imagine that's the point. The need for money is legitimate to some degree and there can be freedom in having a lot of it. But when it moves beyond self-interest and into greed... other horrors typically accompany it. Take the adulterous husband as a case in point. His lust and greed go hand in hand. A man who has no self-control over his sexual appetites or demonstrates fidelity to his spouse probably can't be trusted with a whole lot. Now he's presumably added murder to his ever expanding list of sins.

Overall I like the approach of the drama. I like it enough to have completed 4 episodes already at least. ;) It's very Hitchcock-like in its use of suspense whereby the audience is privy to the crimes committed and what ensues is a cat and mouse game between the protagonists and the antagonists to gain the upperhand in what I expect will be a battle royale. Speaking of KKW, so far his character TW is probably the least morally, legally culpable of them all and yet he is the only one accused and convicted a crime... which he did not commit. Of course the show is riddled with fascinating ironies in this bleak and insane universe.

It's a relief that SY got away from the psychopathic husband but her newfound freedom I expect will be short-lived. But I won't deny experiencing some glee while watching her smash his beloved model ships.

5 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

He just has that kind of face unfortunately LoL.

It's like Jackie Chan too. He often mentions how much he liked to be cast for a more dramatic role instead he gets all these action, stunt roles.  

I heard a lots of times when actors/actresses complain that they receive similar roles after a succesful role. I understand (in a way) that the producers/ PDs/ cast directors want a sure success and they want an actor for a similar role but I wish they will take a risk sometimes. Who says that Jackie Chan can`t do dramatic roles? Give him a chance. Maybe he will be very good at it. I remember that I was happy to see Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean) playing in a serious role and he was credible. Just like I was glad that Shin Sun rok had a lead role in a romantic comedy last year. How about Lee Jung Ki who always get roles in action dramas? No mnay exemples.

About Jung Woong In, I did not watch I Can Hear Your Voice, but I heard about his role there. :D I watched him in some dramas (I don`t know exactly how many) but my favorite was to see him as real dad in a variety show. I did not watch many variety shows (not a fan) but I saw some scenes with his three adorable daughters and I liked him. :P

But it is fun to watch him as phycho husband in this drama. I was anticipating  to watch a scene where the two phychos, Hong In-Pyo and Mr Kim, will meet. It was too short. I hope there will be a chance to see how they will collide again. Maybe they will kill each other? :lol:

11 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

I don't believe HJ is all that noble wanting to catch Leon for sake of the other victims of Leon's fraud.

I hope so. Because It was a let down when the writer implided that`s why she set up the trap. I want to know more about her. I like that there is a woman who is capable to fight the "sharks" and she is one of them.

@40somethingahjumma, @triplem Welcome on board! It is nice to have more people joining and hope you both stay until  the end. :)

Thanks @larus I  have been following since the beginning but have been not as active or up to date due to time. I will stay till the end

@40somethingahjumma Yay! Happy to see you here. I too love KKW ......this one is good.....every character here is flawed in some way and there are one or two  I personally want to strangle - the lover and psycho husband for instance. But the plot is quite fast and unusual. 

Hello guys! I just got to look for this thread since i just started watching a few days ago! woah this drama is so intense and i'm sure you guys hate that husband more than anybody else! he's a psychopath and i ask myself why did she stay with him and put up with his torture! i'm only on epis 11/12 so am sure you guys are almost uptodate with this but i just had the urge to say something about this drama!

it's quite good but the other guy she's having an affair with is also mean & all that! i like tae woo he's the hero!

well i'll be back if i have some stuff to share later :) meanwhile, hello to you 99.9 viewers here!

@triplemnice to see you here too

5 hours ago, hibiscus23 said:

i'm sure you guys hate that husband more than anybody else! he's a psychopath and i ask myself why did she stay with him and put up with his torture!

I actually think they did a pretty good job portraying those dynamics for once in a kdrama. Of course the plot and pacing is pretty crazy which puts it a bit over the top.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, triplem said:

the translators like to use millions as opposed to billions because they convert it to dollars. At this point 10 billion won = US$10 million.

I happened to watch this drama on KBS World today and they use 10billion/10million in the translation. And it made s lot of sense for people like me lol.  I don't know why they need to convert it to USD since this is a Korean drama.

On 1/5/2020 at 2:18 PM, imgreatgal said:

I happened to watch this drama on KBS World today and they use 10billion/10million in the translation. And it made s lot of sense for people like me lol.  I don't know why they need to convert it to USD since this is a Korean drama.

Actually, when translating written text, we always convert miles into km, pounds into kg, but for money we only do it once, when we first encounter the amount in the foreign currency. Nevertheless, we never convert it in audio video translations. Honestly, converting it into USD is US-centered, especially when the translation is not limited to the US public. If you add to that the fact that the conversion is not accurate and that the official English title of the drama is 'Woman of 9.9 Billion' one gets more than one reason not to convert it, but maybe it's the company's policy (I don't know who is in charge of this drama, so...).

I remember that back in 2000+ most subtitles used USD.   :grimace:

3 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

I don't know why they need to convert it to USD since this is a Korean drama.

There are some possible reasons why they used USD in English translations  :

1. The drama is also cater to international fans market,  not just domestic market ;

2. The drama story is involving money laundering topic and also linked to international trade. The US dollar by far continues to dominate world markets. As long as the USD plays a central role in international trade, financial crimes, especially money laundering (ML) and terrorism financing (TF) continue to be the primary concerns for most countries regulators, ever since September 11, (after the terrorist attacks on New York Twin Tower and Washington DC). I think using USD dollars in translation is to make audience (outside the region) understand better since it involved cryptocurrency to do money laundering through  unregulated exchanges, although I personally prefer not to translate into USD dollar in English sub. The Chinese sub did not translate into USD dollar, it translated based on K.won currency - means same as title 9.9 billion

Archived