[Drama 2020] A Piece of Your Mind, 반의 반

0ly40

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/03/a-piece-of-your-mind-episodes-1-2-open-thread/

I think Dramabeans recap/commentary sums up the first two episodes pretty well. It also gives a great perspective about the drama.

I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Rather than it being confusing, I think it's just that there are so many unanswered questions, not just for the characters but for the viewers as well. The episodes are interwoven with current events and flashbacks so it can be a bit confusing. I think as the drama progresses, we'll get a better understanding of each of the characters as well as answers to what we may be confused about now. I am quite excited to learn more about Seowoo and Hawon. It's going to be so bittersweet watching Seowoo fall in love with Hawon and the journey they take a they gradually grow closer. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful, the vibes are just so sad and would fit wonderfully if we watched on a gloomy, rainy day. The blurry effects can get a bit old though. Nonetheless, I'm very excited to watch Jung Haein and Chae Soobin, I was extremely excited to see them paired up. My friend, whom I forced to watch the drama with me, told me that the drama was going to make me cry lol but I'm so ready!

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys! Just want to drop by to share I’m done with Episode 2, and I’m enjoying it. There’s so much I wanna see and questions I want to be answered. I’m curious about each characters’ background. Like there seems a lot to know about them especially Jisoo’s husband. I’m curious too as how Ha Won and Seo Woo’s relationship is going to develop. Jisoo’s been part of their lives, even it was only a short time for Seo Woo. I am curious about how are they gonna deal with their feelings once it blooms and they come to realize it.

I just hope it won’t get too long before these things to unfold though. But so far, it’s been good. And I love the dialogues and can we just appreciate the cinematography. Super aesthetic.

I’m a fan of Jung Hae In and Chae Soo Bin individually and have watched most of their works so I hope the best for this drama. :blush:

First Impressions: “A Piece Of Your Mind” Is Well Worth Your Time

First Impressions: “A Piece Of Your Mind” Is Well Worth Your Time

Mar 28, 2020
tvN’s “A Piece of Your Mind” premiered this week, and the first two episodes were definitely not what we were expecting — but in a very good way. The drama, led by the talented pair of Jung Hae In and Chae Soo Bin, is perhaps best described by the word “unconventional.” From the unusual way its plot unfolds to the breathtaking narrative that is starting to take shape, it’s clear that “A Piece of Your Mind” is different, and that the story it will eventually lay out for us is going to be a really special one.

Warning: slight spoilers for Episodes 1 and 2 ahead.

Moon Ha Won (Jung Hae In) is an artificial intelligence programmer, and his latest project is a little handheld device that seems to be an extension of his memory and emotions, although we don’t know specifics. Ha Won is supposedly Korea’s premier genius in the AI field, but the first two episodes focus mainly on the aspect of his life that is most central to Ha Won’s identity: his one-sided feelings for the love of his life, Kim Ji Soo (Park Ju Hyun)… whom he hasn’t spoken to in years.

Park-Ju-Hyun-Jung-Hae-In-e1585148677650.

Ha Won meets musical recording engineer Han Seo Woo (Chae Soo Bin) accidentally, but after they cross paths a few more times (rather less accidentally), he decides to set her up to meet Ji Soo — with the goal of eventually having Seo Woo extract a recording of his beloved’s voice for him. It’s an unusual request, but it has something to do with the AI device he’s working on. And also his feelings.

Jung-Hae-In21-e1585156110853.jpg

Somehow, Ha Won intuitively knows that the two girls will feel a special pull towards each other. And he’s right; Seo Woo is immediately drawn to Ji Soo, in a first meeting scene that resembles one you’d typically see between main leads in most K-dramas.

Spoiler

Park-Ju-Hyun-e1585157626468.jpgChae-Soo-Bin1-e1585157606387.jpg

And as Seo Woo spends more time with Ji Soo, Ha Won (although she doesn’t know his real identity yet), and Ha Won’s relative Soon Ho (Lee Ha Na), she gets pulled deeper into their story….

Spoiler

A-Piece-of-Your-Mind-1-e1585157649728.jpA-Piece-of-Your-Mind-2-e1585157676934.jpNam-Da-Reum-e1585147997487.jpg

Ha Won and Ji Soo were childhood friends who, it’s hinted at, were romantically involved at some point before something broke them up. Even their friendship eventually fell off (although not Ha Won’s feelings). Now, Ji Soo is clearly depressed, and Ha Won has endured his lonely one-sided love for 10 years. Given the fact that both parties are somewhat miserable, Seo Woo decides to see if she can spur the pair to reconcile… although it quickly becomes apparent that there is a lot more to the story that is keeping the two apart.

Spoiler

Jung-Hae-In-Park-Ju-Hyun2.gif

trendingkdrama

If this all sounds a little vague, it’s because it is: plot-wise, Episode 1 in particular was hard to follow at some points, especially in regards to Ha Won’s device. It’s a hand-held machine that speaks — with his voice — and knows all about his life, but we’re not told how or why, although the goal seems to be to somehow recreate his emotions within it. It’s mentioned that he might be testing it for use in a hospital, so perhaps it will be used to help patients deal with trauma.

Spoiler

Jung-Hae-In3-e1585147362761.jpg

It’s a little frustrating to not fully understand something that is pretty pervasive and drives the plot, but I’m assuming we’ll learn more about the device when we’re supposed to. Since it’s clearly related to his love for Ji Soo, it will likely have some emotional impact that will be more meaningful if given time to build up to. So, yes, while “A Piece of Your Mind” is perhaps more confusing than most dramas from the get-go, I think that in a few more episodes, the uncertainty will ultimately have a payoff: it’s the sense of mystical ambiguity that made some of the emotional moments in Episode 2 have such a big impact, like when Seo Woo doesn’t even know what’s bothering Ji Soo but doesn’t hesitate to warmly comfort her. The fact that these moments landed so well made me trust that the drama knows what it’s doing.

Spoiler

Chae-Soo-Bin6-e1585188578256.jpgPark-Ju-Hyun4-e1585188592322.jpg

It will, however, be interesting to see how the drama incorporates the artificial intelligence narrative, because Ha Won is all about emotions, which is very different from what most people expect from an AI guy. There’s definitely room for “A Piece of Your Mind” to create something meaningful by bringing together themes of machine intelligence and what it has been so heavily about so far: the emotional rawness that makes us most human. Speaking of which, while “A Piece of Your Mind” has been labeled a rom-com, the premiere was definitely not. It’s possible the comedic aspects will develop later, but week one was a slice-of-life/melodrama hybrid.

The most compelling part of the drama by far is Ha Won, and it’s a credit to Jung Hae In that this character resonates so strongly that just two episodes in, there are already moments so poignant that they’ll bring tears to your eyes. His devotion to Ji Soo makes him both admirable and tragic — the guy literally sits around living in his childhood memories and watching old VCR tapes of her — and we’ve only just begun to learn about their complicated past. It’s clear that coming to understand Ha Won’s one-sided love, and how he’s managed to hold onto it for so many years, is going to tug at our heartstrings — and that’s only one of the questions the drama has posed so far. In fact, “A Piece of Your Mind” will make you reflect a lot more than most K-dramas do. Could you maintain a one-sided love just having a “half of a half” (the show’s Korean title; essentially a small piece) of the person you love? For how many people who are important in your life do you remember the very first moment you met, and what was your impression? What words could keep you going for years, and from whom?

I’m intrigued, and although it’s unsettling at times to not understand some aspects of the story, my intuition is that “A Piece of Your Mind” is one of those dramas that requires some investment and initial confusion, but that when things come into focus, the emotional payout will be worth it. It’s subtle, but it’s totally spellbinding.

The music in this drama is just so pleasant. I liked HW & SW's interaction about unrequited love/romantic relationship. SW believes even a piece of that important person is enough to love them forever while SW doesnt see fit to be in relationships because of competitiveness lol. HW wants to belong in someone's heart while SW wants to belong somewhere, thus saying she wants to hear those words 'stay with me'. Love the way those two speak. Like her realization when she finds out that Dawn is HW & how the words 'stay' from him struck her. The dialogues exchanged between the the two has been meaningful.

I like how SW just minds her business & continues to do her work/enjoy her love for music. She so thoughtful in her actions & the way she speaks to people is very warm/comforting. I like her interactions with JS too. I'm just sad about what happen to her. Didnt know the writer was going to do that. I love how everything is implied instead of outright told to the viewers. Everything is based on viewers interpretation, which is fun.

Btw, Chae Soo Bin is the cutest lil' bean. Ugh, how can one be sooo cute. 

Spoiler

kYOzjf.jpg

@Alice Wonderland

It's nice to see you here too lol.B)

• 0ly40 changed the title to [Current Drama 2020] A Piece of Your Mind - 반의 반 - Mon & Tue @ 21:00 KST

Oh. Now it becomes much more fun! I'm still adjusting to how they narrate the story until now. But once they've revealed the answers I feel good for being patient. Lol. 

It's pretty cute seeing SW trying so hard not to get caught with her feelings in front of HW. She's falling for him. Aww.. I like the preview. But the preview seems misleading somehow. I mean, last week I guess I saw her yelling to HW. But the episode turned out that she was yelling her frustration to the lady manager instead. 

As SW and JS's twin is getting closer, it's just a matter of time that Mr. Before Dawn will find out her feeling. Because of why, because I thought that he's slowly falling for her as well. Lol. 

This therapy talking device, if it really exists, I would like to have one. The idea of having your beloved one with you even they're gone. That's pretty sad but it's so comforting in the same time.Then SW can have her mom talking to her instead of repeating the same talks every night. And if that device launches, it can help more depressed people with pyscological counselling. Knowing that there's 'someone' who always listens to their worries and problems.

I like the way SW was unaware that what she was feeling towards HW was love. And how she fell for him while he had someone else preoccupying his thoughts. As they spend more time with each other, a certain moment will become a point of reaction and things will be different from that point onward. Just like the AI device.

And I like that they really true to their title. And yes I can't wait to see how the talking buddy will eventually help both of them to get much closer to each other, healing their pain together. 

On top of that, I love the moment HW stares at SW attentively. He watches her secretly and unknowingly gets curious of her. And she does the same to him. They listen each other well. Something that they didn't really get from someone that supposed to be the closest one with them. Loved the part when he insisted her to tell him what are the things she talked with the device to have the natural reaction that he expected. He confirmed it must be about him. Ha! SW is flustered and blabbered that complicated reason to him. I thought HW would just stop there. No, he even suggested her to have a back-neck massage to help her remembering. Lol . They have good chemistry. SW warned him that he should forget if she tells him the reason of JS's device begin to talk like a real human. But he said why he should do so. Aww.. I saw a cupid shots love arrow to the heart of these two. 

It's so soothing :tears:

One thing I really love about this show is how it made me invest in a relationship between HW and his first love JS without it being a hindrance to the upcoming romance between him and SW. I genuinely love his relationship with SW - that mutual understanding of their affection and grieving for JS makes it more realistic that SW is falling for him.

OMG guys she confessed; I can't believe it happened so quickly!

Seowoo: Jisooshi!

Jisoo: Seowooshi, something good must have happened. It is obvious from your voice.

Seowoo: Something good? Nothing really...

Jisoo: Where are you?
Seowoo: Home. My home.

Jisoo: You must have put in your earphones.

Seowoo: You are right. Is it different again?
Jisoo: Mmm. It sounds like we are talking on the phone. How is Won? Do you see him sometimes?

Seowoo: Well.. sometimes in passing...

Jisoo: Does Won know?

Seowoo: What?

Jisoo: When you called me out in the recording studio, we talked about Won.

Seowoo: Back then we talked about Misiryeong.

Jisoo: No. Won doesn't know right? That you like Won.

Seowoo: I mean... You shouldn't talk about that type of thing so easily right? Stop...

Jisoo: You said that you liked seeing him. An unrequited love to be exact.

Seowoo: That's because... I was a little bit sentimental(?) that day.

Jisoo: It isn't like that anymore?

Seowoo: Well... I like him. I like looking at that person. The way he cherishes you, misses you. I like the way someone shows sincerity towards someone else. I like it all.

Jisoo: Won doesn't know about your feelings right?

Seowoo: Yes. I would like him not to know. You didn't know how much Hawon cherishes you. I also wish he would not know. 

I like how the story is somewhat different from what I expected from the teasers. I did not know that Seowoo's parents were dead and I had know idea that Jisoo would die as well. I also did not expect that the line you hear in the teasers where she says that she wishes Hawon wouldn't know about her feelings towards him would be said right in front of him. In some ways this drama has lots of twists, but like this drama, it is kind of subtle and calm. Something I really appreciate about this drama, which is something that would have made me watch it even if my fave Soobin wasn't in it, is that calm theme. I really appreciate dramas where the main characters aren't dramatic and are chill (which might be the reason I also like Find Me In Your Memory). I get really bad second hand embarrassment so I always hate the jealousy scenes in dramas where the characters are acting all immature (it takes me forever to get through those scenes and I often have to stop and start them many times or even skip them altogether lol) so I'm glad that we probably won't get scenes like that in this drama. I'm really enjoying this drama and I can't wait till next week. Soobin looks pretty as always so that is a plus. :lol:

19 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

As SW and JS's twin is getting closer, it's just a matter of time that Mr. Before Dawn will find out her feeling. Because of why, because I thought that he's slowly falling for her as well. Lol. 

I also think that Ha won is already falling for Seo woo. I feel like he is making up reasons to meet with her with all the "i need you to converse with her" moments. He is genuinely curious about Seo woo and her life and likes her company. He stares at her a lot (and that since the beginning) i think he is interested in her since the beginning, not necessarily as a love interest but like someone intriguing that is picking his interest.

I cant wait to see whats next

OMG. Things are about to get interesting!! :wub: Didn't expect that a lot would happen in this episode. I thought they were going to drag out the confession until next week, but it happened so fast. I hope more people would watch this show, a lot could be unpacked if there were more discussions!! 

Speaking of Soo Ji, I don't understand why she felt so betrayed about Eun Joo dating Chang Sub. I found it immature of her to get mad over something that her friend/landlord chose to hide because she didn't feel comfortable. 

Did anyone notice the 2 ahjummas from Parasite? Seo Woo's mom and the patient/new tenant. :lol:

Well, I was debating whether I should post here after such a long time just for this drama... and, yeah, here I am. I hope people will watch this drama too ~! Can't wait for Monday now after that ending ~~ ... this drama just makes my heart go ...

giphy.gif 

And this gif is just everything...

ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif credit:https://twitter.com/_dee501/status/1245146923134324738

I see that you're here too @rocher22 :))

8 minutes ago, penforella said:

I have a question so based on the epilogue, Ha Won knew about the overpass location but still he ask Seo Woo where it is? 

I think he noticed the overpass while he was on the bus and then realized it could be the one they were looking for. In the middle of the episode, you'd see him in his office looking at a shot/street view of the overpass in a maps application. We could infer at that point that he was able to confirm the location. 

Archived