Quantcast
Lmangla

I recommend this drama

Another must-watch Turkish series. If koreans are obsessed with Joseon, turkish people are then obsessed with the Ottoman Empire. 

Name Muhteşem Yüzyıl / The magnificent century 

Summary : It tells the life of the Ottoman sultan, Suleiman who has the strong ambition to establish an empire more powerful than the Alexander the Great ever did. With the help of his friend, during his 46-year reign he conquered the West and East and consolided his power. The series focuses on the tension between Christian Europe and Ottoman Empire. But the events take a turn when Aleksandra, an ukranian priest, was caught during one of his conquests and becomes a slave. The sultan falls in love with her....

Watch when you are in the mood for : Intrique, political and palace issues, a lot of battles. 

Visual factor : Costumes, art, decoration, actors 

Emotional moments : The moment Aleksandra is chosen as the Sultan's favourite and becomes his concubine

Annoying bits  you might ignore : no annoying bits

Overall grade : A+

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

Name: The remains of the day

Summary: a butler falls in love silently with the housekeeper 

Watch when you are in the mood for: Ishiguro novels adapted to movies, sad romance, deep meaning, serious drama

Visual factor: Anthony Hopkins' wonderful acting

Emotional moments that you liked: when his father died and he repressed his tears to continue his duty while serving important guests

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: when the Butler,  Mr Stevens never confessed his love to Miss Kenton

Overall grade: 10

• Awesome 2

Name: Secret Window

Summary: a novelist suffers from double personality,  is cheated by his wife and decides to kill her and her lover, he invents an imaginary character called John Shooter (played by another actor). We believe that there is a second character committing all the crimes, only to discover it was only Mort Rainey all along 

Watch when you are in the mood for: Johnny Depp crazy yet amazing acting and Stephen King horror novels

Visual factor: Depp's good looks :D. Also the focus is on him, he is thinking too much, it is a psychological movie, from his twisted point of view 

Emotional moments that you liked: no emotions but there is a scene I like": when he discovers he has double personality (he  and the viewers didn't know at first,) we see two Johnnys speaking to each other :D

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: the blood scenes  (not clear but disturbing all the same)

Overall grade: 10

Best scene 

Ending

I like it when he said " the only thing that matters is the ending. That's the most important part of the story, the ending. And this one... this one's very good. This one's perfect". He also says "Her death will be a mystery even to me", signifying that he will no longer recognize that he was the one who committed the crimes, because of double personality disorder 

@sushilicious this one is for you :D Johnny Depp is a real psychopath here :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Found this thread by clicking on links shared by Lmangla lols...

@Berou Omg! Hurem Sultan!!! Yes!!! I finish this 100+ episode in a matter of 2 weeks.. I kid you not this show is intense... lols.... with all its ups and down... My fav character is Hurem for sure! She's the dragon that breathes fire to the show..... she was good and bad at the same time.

The show made me read all those long article about Sultana of Woman.. women, princess, concubines that rules the country from behind the walls of the harem. Yes I would definitely join you to recommend it :) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

hahahha i know this is a movie however its not out of topic right? @Lmangla

Name: LOTR: The Whole 3 Series :D hahahahahah

Summary:  It all started with the ring and for the greed for power :D u guys know the summary i dont have to say much however as far as I can see it is for the survival of weaker races and also how one fight to overcome your very own fear and also greed :) 

this is from Wikipedia so i take no credit for it :D 

Set in the fictional world of Middle-earth, the films follow the hobbit Frodo Baggins as he and the Fellowship embark on a quest to destroy the One Ring, to ensure the destruction of its maker, the Dark Lord Sauron. The Fellowship eventually splits up and Frodo continues the quest with his loyal companion Sam and the treacherous Gollum. Meanwhile, Aragorn, heir in exile to the throne of Gondor, along with Legolas, Gimli, Merry, Pippin and the wizard Gandalf, unite to rally the Free Peoples of Middle-earth in the War of the Ring in order to aid Frodo by weakening Sauron's forces.

Watch when you are in the mood for:  Actions, friendship and cool and smooth moves :D 

Visual factor: Fantasy and cool being.

Emotional moments that you liked: When the dead came amass from the ship to the land to overcome the orcs trying to breach the two towers, they didnt do it because of their loyalty to the king, however they did it to win freedom & atone the sin they had committed previously so that they can now be released from their curse from the only one bloodlines that could do it and no one else

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: sometimes they talks alot :x

Overall grade: one of the best movie i seen and i could still watch it so hehehhe it a 9.0 in my eyes :D 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

Name: what's eating Gilbert Grape 

Summary: a brother taking care of his family including his mentally challenged brother, sisters and obese mother

Watch when you are in the mood for: melodrama 

Visual factor: the interaction between young Johnny Depp and younger Leonardo DiCaprio

Emotional moments that you liked: when the two brothers made up after a big fight

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: the lustful married woman's affair with Gilbert Grape

Overall grade: 9

Summary 

https://thisistheissue.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/31/

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

9 hours ago, lynne22 said:

Found this thread by clicking on links shared by Lmangla lols...

@Berou Omg! Hurem Sultan!!! Yes!!! I finish this 100+ episode in a matter of 2 weeks.. I kid you not this show is intense... lols.... with all its ups and down... My fav character is Hurem for sure! She's the dragon that breathes fire to the show..... she was good and bad at the same time.

The show made me read all those long article about Sultana of Woman.. women, princess, concubines that rules the country from behind the walls of the harem. Yes I would definitely join you to recommend it :) 

omo another one who has watched a turkish series , welcome to the club ! :lol:

Yeah it's very intense, that's how I like dramas or movies. The fact Hurem is a grey character makes the series magnificent . That's something kdramas lack as the korean characters are either black or white most of the time. Her condition, being an ukranian slave and having her family killed, makes her to seek any mean for survival. She knows that if she doesn't become a concubine for the sultan Suleiman, she will live miserably. That's why she entices some empathy.  She is a very intelligent woman and very ambitious too. Once she found out how to survive she put all her efforts into seducing the sultan and eliminating any bareer in her way, i.e the other concubine. She tried throughout the series to make her fall from the Sultan's grace, Her ambition was immeasurable as she was behind most of the events occurring in the country and the Palace. 

Name : Ezel 

Summary : Ömer, a young man returning from military service, is set up by his friends and fiancé and ends up in prison for ten years. He fakes his own death and manages to escape. He re-creates himself as ‘Ezel’, a high-end gambler who is outwardly a successful man, but inwardly driven by one thing - his determination to understand why the people he loved betrayed him, and take his revenge. Retrieved from ecchorights

Watch when you are in the mood for : Action, thriller, Revenge, mystery, poetry

Visual factor : great acting and camera work

Emotional moments :  When the main lead revealed to his fiance his identity

Annoying bits : no annoying bits 

• Awesome 2

The Turkish series Forbidden Love was very popular back then @Berou :)

I watched 4 Turkish drama series only

Gumus (name of female heroine ) 

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA95-JLlQR7gt8ieQolp4

Öyle Bir Geçer Zaman Ki (As time goes by), 

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlxHjt32tXu-KT7pLsBN_

Binbir Gece (English: One Thousand and One Nights)

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrU4Q_PuaiXNojHTjFSoZ

Asi (name of female heroine )

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStnKNYOgPfDPblDdpJiSlimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH50vQv5R8vDKWDKddLrD

that was about 7 or 8 years ago

. After that it was bollywood movies from 2013 till 2018

starting from 2018, kdrama strong addiction :D

• Like 3

Name: Baker king, Kim Tak Goo (also known as: bread love and dreams)

Summary: A dysfunctional family who bakes. Set in 60s-80s Korea when bread was not that easy to get

Watch when you are in the mood for: Intense family makjang which is all sorts of crazy but very sticky (final ep rating was 50%!!!!). all the grey characters really stand out because they are so over the top and actually interesting because they are very unpredictable. when you are not in the mood for a goody-two-shoes female lead and want someone who is itching to give back emotional slaps.

Visual factor: The bread! hahahah... it will make you hungry because they shoot bread making like a great culinary art. there are even baking competitions for best bread!

Emotional moments that you liked: ma joon and yu kyung were such a crazy pairing but the OTP moments were tinged with a dark shadow which made their dynamic very interesting to watch. the OTP is also unusual because he is actually the second lead!

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: all the older generation are a bunch of mad hats and you feel like slapping them but wouldn't their ridiculous actions, you wouldn't have the drama that happens with the younger generation

Overall grade: B

king-of-baking-kim-tak-goo

• Like 3

Name: Sood Sanae Ha

Summary: vain actress who is no longer popular decides to join a cooking show as host except she can't cook! LOL. so she hires a cooking teacher to show her the ropes.

Watch when you are in the mood for: lots of laughs and a romantic comedy between 2 leads who are not the usual types. he is soft spoken but stern, almost reserved except when it comes to cooking, has a bit of complex as his family reminds him constantly that he is the illegitimate son of the servant/mistress. she is overconfident, petty and can handle any situation with a hilarious attitude. her reactions on aging, beauty, acting, dating scandals are really funny.

Visual factor: male lead! it is a bit of running joke but her food delicious on the screen but actually tastes awful. leads to some really funny scenes where she has to stop people from actually tasting the food.

Emotional moments that you liked: OTP moments! as he starts to fall in love, his gaze softens and he is charmed by her even as she exasperates him.

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: the second lead guy is such a wimp and his mother is so annoying but both of them get their due from the female lead in very hilarious scenes eventually.

Overall grade: A+ because it is LOL hilarious even with a re-watch

333927237a06f0a9342c937fb8e05946.jpg

• Like 3

Name: Kleun Chewit

Summary: if it is possible to have a crazier version of the kdrama secret, then this one? hahahahah.. she is an actress who runs over his fiancee in an accident and he basically decides on a form of revenge as she refuses to admit that she was involved

Watch when you are in the mood for: impossible love revenge stories that make no sense in real life but are so intensely dramatic that you can't help but be swept away. slap-kiss drama! themes: the difficulty of forgiveness, the process of grief (especially working through the anger),  the burden of guilt, the hurt when people you love change and become crazy, walking away from a relationship that is choking you

Visual factor: the fiery looks the OTP give each other as they are torn between attraction and wanting to kill each other

Emotional moments that you liked: OTP has a mad push-pull that really crackles. also liked the journey of the second leads and found it interesting to see a breakdown of a marriage due to doubt and how hurtful that can be for the spouse who actually hasn't done anything at all.

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: the second female lead is so over the top that you want to slap her. however,  she does eventually matures and changes as she finds herself alone and realizes that she will be okay even if she is forever single.

Overall grade: B+ because it is really sticky

vQ7q8m.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Name: secret love affair.

Summary: the story of a forbidden relationship between a 20-year-old piano genius and his married teacher in her 40s.

Watch when you are in the mood for: intense scenes, a drama that makes you feel the characters. if you like music or want to listen to it, go for it. i binge watched it because i wanted to see more and more of it.

Visual factor: the atmosphere is filled with warm colors and the relaxing and real feeling it gives is uncomparable to other dramas. the scenes are put together beautifully.

Emotional moments that you liked: towards the end, when in court, the female lead gives a wonderful and tearjerking confession about her deeds and her guilt.

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: none, at least for me.

Overall grade: 10/10. one of my favourite kdramas! and i am really picky when it comes to really like one.Secret_Love_Affair-tp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Name: verdades secretas / hidden truths 

Summary : The plot mainly features the story of a lass, Angel (Camila Queiroz) who is lured by a famous modeling agency that secretly recruits young women to prostitution and the life of the models behind the curtains, a dangerous obsession of a man that put mother and daughter on a crazy love triangle and drug addiction. ( source : wikipedia) 

Watch when you are in the mood for :  the drama has some intense scenes and doesn't shy away from the scenes where girls prostitute. To watch it if you 're interested to know about the ugly side of modelling.  

Emotional moments that you liked : the confrontational scene in the hotel suite between the rich man and his daughter who went to meet him as her client unknowingly 

Annoying bits you might need to ignore : the greedy CEO of the modelling agency who preys on poor young girls and lures them into prostitution 

On 8/19/2019 at 2:44 PM, nohamahamoud2002 said:

The Turkish series Forbidden Love was very popular back then @Berou :)

I watched it while it was airing and every week there was a scene that made buzz and Turkey went crazy over it lol. 

Wow those are some old series.  I've watched only Gumus ( some episodes here and there). 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

58 minutes ago, Berou said:

Name: verdades secretas / hidden truths 

so what happens in the end? is it like an ugly ending? ...

EDIT: just googled and the full plot synopsis sounds so extreme! hahahaha... guess it is one of those twist and turns where you are like OMO!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

so what happens in the end? is it like an ugly ending? ...

EDIT: just googled and the full plot synopsis sounds so extreme! hahahaha... guess it is one of those twist and turns where you are like OMO!

I havent finished it yet. There are indeed many twists . I quackle when something happens :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Name: Eternal Love or Ten Miles Of Peach Blossoms ( Chinese ) 58 Episodes OTP: Actors Yang Mi & Mark Chao

Summary: A mixture of fantasy, romance and endurance in what it means to experience, fight for and strive to achieve eternal love.  Two Characters whom meet and simply fall in love without having to know whom and what they truly are. For what they see and feel is enough and the only thing they need is each other.  Yet they endure outside forces and like a fairy tale face things they cannot always control.  An enchanting story that through each episode and struggle continues to bloom while capturing your heart and the chemistry you will see is beyond even art...

Watch When You Are In The Mood For:  LOVE!!!  A Drama that allows your heart to soak up every emotion and to soar above the stars and carry you to beyond being entertained.

Visual Factor: It's like watching art come to life before your very eyes for it's warmth, beauty and cinematography create a world even Disney would be proud of.

Emotional Moments That You LIked: This drama is full of them and picking would be like having to chose between ones children, trust me.  Impossible.

Annoying Bits You Might Need To Ignore: None and no fast forward needed while watching this drama only replay and pause LOL

Overall grade: Perfection and a top 10 for me.  Let love be your own guide.  I hope after you have watched it, you too will agree in wanting to share it with others so they too can see...

ca3776fec51b7df6643a52dd48c792d62b4c4c92

A love story that lingers within you beyond it's end...:heart:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

I like this thread as most of recommended dramas are doramas which I always enjoy and watched already most of the recommendations.  Good to see other drama fans enjoy not just kdramas.

I want to recommend a college drama. I rarely see one as it's always high school setting.  I'll recommend one that I like that's excellent (for me anyway). It's only 8 episodes though but well written ( writer is the one who did Romance is not a Bonus Book)

L-R:   Li Yi Kyung. Jo Hye Jung. Kim Min Jae. Park So Dam. Choi  Minho.  Jung Yoo Jin.

Because-It%E2%80%99s-the-First-Time6.jpg

Name: First Time/ Because It's the First Time

Summary:  Everyday lives of six 20 something year old college friends

Watch when you are in the mood for: something excellent to fill time while you wait for premiere of main 16 Ep drama

Visual factor:  the cast: Park So Dam (her first drama), Minho ( I only know him from ShiNee?), Lee Yi Kyung(first time I watch him, he's funny), Kim Min Jae (breakout star),  the background music for the scenes. (Hey it's Elsa Kopf) And btw, Jung Kyung Ho made cameo here.

Emotional moments that you liked: When Park so Dam was walking on that famous bridge ( you see them in most kdramas whenever one attempts suicide scene) pensive and sad with "Song for you" as bgm.

Annoying bits you might need to ignore:  Not sure. I like it a lot

Overall grade:  A

Spoiler

Posted November 25, 2015

The joy, the pain, the loneliness, the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the hero, the savior, the one sided crush, the responsibility as youth growing into the society at the same time never missing out what exactly it is to be young and be with friends and slacking.. because in reality, in real life. we slack but we always persevere and in the end, we deserve whatever consequence we choose. Decision will affect whatever choices we make  and it could be the other way around. For the youths of this drama, it thought us friendship is a powerful tool that no matter how fragile a situation is... that even if your family is not there, your friends will always shadow you. This is first and foremost story of love and friendship and for me...I want it to end how it all began. 5 friends together different situations and social class bonded together no matter what the circumstances present them. This drama's friendship shows us what real friendship is all about.

This drama is light yet entertaining deep yet fun and it's about youth. Life, Love and Friendship

A review/ reviewer/blog doesn't influence and has never influence the type of dramas I watch. But I agree with the reviewer below

It's fitting that "Because It's the First Time" was, itself, a first time for the OnStyle network. And like the misadventures of Tae-oh and his friend, its imperfections are easily forgivable as growing pains for the network to find its own groove for future dramas. "Because It's the First Time" is a high quality production that exceedingly well captures the ups and downs of being twenty. At only eight full length episodes, it's well worth a watch for anyone.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-because-it-s-the-first-time-episode-8-88882.html

Edit to add:

@USAFarmgirl  omg I've watch that! :thumbsup::heart:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

On 8/19/2019 at 7:55 AM, angelangie said:

hahahha i know this is a movie however its not out of topic right? @Lmangla

Name: LOTR: The Whole 3 Series :D hahahahahah

Summary:  It all started with the ring and for the greed for power :D u guys know the summary i dont have to say much however as far as I can see it is for the survival of weaker races and also how one fight to overcome your very own fear and also greed :) 

this is from Wikipedia so i take no credit for it :D 

Set in the fictional world of Middle-earth, the films follow the hobbit Frodo Baggins as he and the Fellowship embark on a quest to destroy the One Ring, to ensure the destruction of its maker, the Dark Lord Sauron. The Fellowship eventually splits up and Frodo continues the quest with his loyal companion Sam and the treacherous Gollum. Meanwhile, Aragorn, heir in exile to the throne of Gondor, along with Legolas, Gimli, Merry, Pippin and the wizard Gandalf, unite to rally the Free Peoples of Middle-earth in the War of the Ring in order to aid Frodo by weakening Sauron's forces.

Watch when you are in the mood for:  Actions, friendship and cool and smooth moves :D 

Visual factor: Fantasy and cool being.

Emotional moments that you liked: When the dead came amass from the ship to the land to overcome the orcs trying to breach the two towers, they didnt do it because of their loyalty to the king, however they did it to win freedom & atone the sin they had committed previously so that they can now be released from their curse from the only one bloodlines that could do it and no one else

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: sometimes they talks alot :x

Overall grade: one of the best movie i seen and i could still watch it so hehehhe it a 9.0 in my eyes :D 

Bwhahahahahaha what is this @angelangie????Do you really think there are still people out there who haven't watched LOTR till this day??? Nahhh I don't think so. LOL. 

You people already know what drama I will recommend.....

Name: Heavy sweetness Ash like frost/Ashes of love

Summary:  It's about a naive little girl who can't feel love because of some "unfeeling pill" her mother gave her to protect her from any heartbreak in the future. I know.....her mother is stupid. But anyways love, as we all know is so strong that it can't be restricted like that. She falls in love with this handsome hot fire God despite having the unfeeling pill in her. I mean he is just soooo HAWWWWT, he is literally the fire God, for godsakes,  it's hard not to feel anything when he is around. LOL. But the fire God has this douchebag half brother who wants to marry his brother's girl. Sighhh.

Watch when you are in the mood for:  Can be watched in any mood. LOL. 

Visual factor: XUUUUU FENNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG. Deng lun is gorgeous, enough said. 

Emotional moments that you liked:   when Xufeng says to Jinmi "Our tree has died" after he comes back from dying. It gets me all the time. It is just so sad. 

Annoying bits you might need to ignore: The half brother had a lot more screen time in certain eps than the main leads. That was so annoying. And the demon princess love story was also not that captivating. *yawns*

Overall grade: 11/10 Hahahaha. No other drama has made me feel such rollercoaster of emotions. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm not a fan of high school dramas but this one caught my eyes.  It has many remakes because the original became a hit in Norway. I've watched the german and italian remakes, I like more the italian version, the leads are so beautiful together :lol:.  Yes, I am this shallow

Name : Skam

Summary : a teen web drama series about the daily life of teenagers. Each season has its own theme and follows a new main character .

Watch when you are in mood for : high school life. The series received critical acclaims for its portrayal of societal  issues such as homophobia, sexual abuse, racism.

Visual factor : Edoardo Icanti :wub:

Emotional moments you like : when Edoardo and Eleonora finally make up and date again or their first kiss 

Annoying bits : Eleonora's/ Mia's friend who almost ruined the relationship between Eleonora/ Mia and her beau because of her obsession. The friend in the german version was more annoying.

Overall grade: 9/10

Skam Italia 

German Skam : Druck 

4 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

the last telenovela I watched was this. I liked the villain :D

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2874494/

I actually  don't watch telenovas,  I watch this one for its plot.  The poster of your telenova makes me think it is a fantasy genre, it reminds me of twilight lol 

• Like 3