[Drama 2020] The Cursed/ Method, 방법

larus

2 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

Watching now! Hopefully not spooked! Lol

Hahaha! Enjoy! Actually nothing much spooky about first 2 episodes (at least, for me). More of...emmmm.. gory and gruesome? Hehehe

3 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

Gosh.. THAT drama huh...

Cried a river and the ending.. I want a refund!

Yeah! I want my emotional investment be refunded! :triumph:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeong Ji So Talks About Starring In “The Cursed,” Shares Reaction To “Parasite” Winning At The Oscars

Feb 14, 2020
by R. Jun
b0a3955a07c84a49abf325ab986eddf3.jpeg?s=

Actress Jeong Ji So from tvN’s new supernatural thriller “The Cursed” talked about the new drama as well as her reaction to “Parasite” receiving four awards at the 92nd Academy Awards.

Jeong Ji So, who appeared as Jo Yeo Jeong‘s daughter Park Da Hye in “Parasite,” wasn’t able to attend the Academy Awards due to a conflicting schedule for the premiere of “The Cursed.” She said, “We cheered each other on and congratulated each other from afar. I watched the award show live, and I was so happy I cried. It made me think I should carry through the remaining filming for ‘The Cursed’ with even more energy.”

In “The Cursed,” Jeong Ji So plays So Jin, a girl who has the ability to curse someone with death using the characters of their name, a picture, and a personal belonging. She, alongside Im Jin Hee (played by Uhm Ji Won), a reporter with a strong drive for justice, stands to fight against an immense evil hidden behind a major IT company.

Jeong Ji So said, “After the broadcast for the first episode ended, my friends sent me a lot of messages of support, saying they were tense and holding their breath throughout the first episode.” She added, “The character is different from any I’ve played before, and receiving so much unexpected love for the role, I’m determined to work even harder.”

Thanking her senior actors, she said, “I prepared for a long time, and I had a lot of concern and nerves before the premiere, but seeing it alongside senior actors like Uhm Ji Won and Jo Min Soo as well as the staff, who cheered and kept the atmosphere bright, I had a lot of fun.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1382906wpp/jeong-ji-so-talks-about-starring-in-the-cursed-shares-reaction-to-parasite-winning-at-the-oscars

On 2/11/2020 at 9:31 PM, Ellander88 said:

BTW, this thread is so quiet. I feel so lonely :tears:

Annyeong @Ellander88 chingu

I have just finished Ep1 and its so good...immediately I put this drama into my fave list. Will continue with Ep2 and 3 later. Actually I have not been active in Soompi for quite some time now. Once in a blue moon, i will come in to read some stuffs regarding the current drama I'm watching. Will try to be more active now, in here for you :D

On 2/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, mrsj3n said:

@Ellander88 I couldn't bring myself to watch it after a few minutes. It wasn't intriguing. Maybe I got distracted. Will give it a try again tomorrow when it's day time  :sweatingbullets:

It's alright chingu. It may not everyone's cup of tea. This time it does not cover priest exorcism but rather shamanism which closer to Korean culture. So no HOT priest :phew:

But so far episode 2 was quite engaging and interesting. I haven't watch episode 3 yet because I just came back from out of town, and going to watch it in awhile. 

2 hours ago, alekaonu said:

Annyeong @Ellander88 chingu

I have just finished Ep1 and its so good...immediately I put this drama into my fave list. Will continue with Ep2 and 3 later. Actually I have not been active in Soompi for quite some time now. Once in a blue moon, i will come in to read some stuffs regarding the current drama I'm watching. Will try to be more active now, in here for you :D

Hello chingu! Welcome on board!

Beware of the beginning at episode 2. It was gruesome! :skull:

It's nice to have other people to discuss the plot with here :D

1 hour ago, Ellander88 said:

Then the beginning of episode 2 will detailed it for you further... :skull:

so I saw it..omgahh:joy:TVn is letting lose tonight! I never knew they could do these kind haha

It took me quite awhile to arrange my thought into words on this episode, even taking few detours – streaming episode 4, watching variety shows and even ordering my groceries online while writing it. Oh gosh, I sound like such a distracted person. LOL! :lol: Plus it’s already late at night here. All the ideas and thought were so scattered in my head after I finished this episode, even worst, I continued right away with episode 4. :sweat_smile:

So, at the beginning of the episode, we were shown the back story of how did the evil spirit possessed the Chairman, which we saw glimpse of So-Jin’s mother performed the ritual to him when So-Jin telling her story to Jin Hee in the past episode. Some may blame the Chairman’s mother for initiating such ritual to take place in the name of washing away the bad luck that keeps following her son (it was worded as “to get rid of the unlucky spirit” in the episode, because in many of East Asians culture, having continuous streak of bad luck is regarded as having an unlucky spirit attaching to you). However, the mother’s intention was only to ask for the ritual to get rid of such bad luck and call out for stronger spirit that brings luck to her son, as in many East Asians cultures. This was where it was messed up by So-Jin’s mother who was actually clueless on the effect of the type of ritual she performed will bring upon.:skull: So-Jin’s mother may not be properly trained by her mother on the meaning of each ritual execution, wrongly calling out a monstrous evil spirit, and that she may have “marked” the Chairman wrongly during the ritual that causing the evil spirit to respond to the “marker” and pushed its way right into the Chairman body. I am curious as to what kind of spirit that possessed the Chairman though, it must have a name. 

At the same time, I found the very scene in the beginning that looks like portraying the Chairman as initially a good person, who was very thoughtful of his children and even talk softly on the phone to his then wife about the signed divorce paper, rather superficial but brilliant way to render the subsequent contradiction to his behaviour. Yeah, on the surface, we saw him as a good person showing positive and good behaviour. Nonetheless, if we take a more careful second look, with his life that quite messed up with failed business, debt piling up, divorce and children are taken away from him, it is impossible that he is all fine and positive in the inside. Anger and discontentment must have been piled up over the period, he just kept it inside. In the subject of possession by evil spirit or demon, people with great anger and instable emotions is most vulnerable to possession, even more so when it was facilitated by a ritual that accidentally “calling out” a monstrous evil spirit to him. At the rest area, the scene where he threw the dog down the cliff showing abrupt change of behaviour after being possessed, is figuratively describing how he had been suppressing his anger and discontentment, the evil spirit just fed on the ember of his anger and discontentment inside him and flame it up channeling it to the innocent being. :dissapointed:

I am rather impressed with how indulged Jin Kyung with her shamanism practice, that she is not just learn the execution on the spiritual aspect, but quite a scholar herself in the subject area and has extensive networks with other scholars all over the world to obtain additional knowledge, resources and help. She is taking shamanism to another level, expanding her view on the world of spirits and supernatural being globally, doing serious and proper research on the being that she is facing and strongly emphasize on the precise way that effectively repel the opponent. I really like it when she was adamant to not give just any talisman as requested by Director Lee, as it may cause adverse effect and wasting time. As a researcher myself, I am most fascinated by her character in this drama, which is so well-defined, professional and rational despite dealing with spiritual world that unfathomable and ridiculous to ordinary people (well, shaman has always been portrayed as a fraud as comedic relief in many dramas). Of course, thanks to effortlessly acted by Jo Min Soo. Now I am curious as to how did they met each other and what made them so tightly allied.     

The statement from the ex-Forest programmer is very interesting, which I think many may misunderstood that he created his business model using Forest of Curses since the beginning. His company was initially established as social network company, named Forest just as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. However, in the beginning, his app / platform might not be well-received and struggle competing with foreign social network. And this is when he came up with the hashtag, initially posted by fake accounts and the programmer team manipulate the tag to make it more visible to the users, creating the hype. He is literally manipulating the dark side of human nature to feel superior at least in the virtual world and be able to curse other people that they hated in the hope of other people’s doom, as well as a way to relief their frustration and anger. Since then his app is getting popular with more people installing Forest to join in the #forestofcurses and his business gaining its traction. It’s not like he specifically put a feature as Forest of Curse on the app, but the hashtag was amassing by the users themselves. Hence, there’s not solid reason for the government to take action to the company since it’s just viewed as a tag play among the users, except maybe lawsuit between the users themselves. I have a feeling that the Chairman might be “collecting” evil energy through these curses, empowering himself spiritually. Hmmm

I don’t want to comment on the death of Detective Yang. Sigh. That was so sad. He was loyal till the end of his life not giving up the Captain as the one who handed him the cap. I didn’t expect he would be a short-lived character. But, I do felt quite appalled by how disconnected it is the way the Captain (Jin Hee’s husband) thought that the fountain pen cap is related to the possible drug injection into Kim Ju Hwan body, and thus, turning his suspicion to his wife. I mean, everyone at the office heard their quarrel, and if Jin Hee injected something to him at the spur moment during the quarrel, Kim Ju Hwan must have been flipped out though. Jin Hee has also testified that she was at home, which they could’ve confirmed through the office cctv that she never came to the office at all after the quarrel. LOL. The Captain is using his detective intuition for the wrong reason at the wrong time.

Okay, it seems like I ramble too much at this episode. IMO, this episode is quite enrichment to the story line. It makes me anticipate more what the writer had in store for future episodes. So far, I must praise him for presenting solid and well-organized story-telling which is easy to comprehend and making the connection. *clap clap*

Now gotta move on to episode 4. Wowww.. that episode was so exciting and thrilling.  I will come back after I finished watching the subbed episode. 

6 hours ago, loversbridge said:

What's the goal of Jin Jong Hyun with his Forest of Curses app. Is it to feed himself with evil energy or is it for something else ? 

Oh wow... I have been suspecting the same (my thought as above). 

I do think the curses may serve as "a tank" for him to collect the evil energy from the curses. This may be just the small purpose.

But the bigger purpose might something unimaginable at a massive scale. Well, in the religious aspect of viewing evil spirit or demons, their main purpose is to incite chaos in the world and conquering the human being. What exactly he's been planning to do, we need to watch more episodes to come. With the IPO listing coming, he got all the resources on his site - Spiritually, Virtually and Power of Money :grin:

6 hours ago, loversbridge said:

And what did the shaman Jin Kyung gain from her partnership with him ?

I think she gain a lot. We can see so far that she is very dedicated to her shamanism work, even have extensive resources and collecting things all over the place, even outside of Korea. That need money and the Chairman can supply her that. Well, just to deduce one of the simplest gain that she would get out of this symbiotic partnership with the Chairman.  :grimace:

Since episode 4 is not subbed yet, I guess I will just comment on how impressed I was with the intense spiritual battle at the end of the episode. Just wow! :thumbsup::scream:
I was more impressed at the solution obtained by Jin Kyung through her research and asking around her network of scholars. Indeed a strong spirit such as Inugami could not be face off with just mere talisman but by sending off another spiritual being to fight it. :skull: And the answer given was to use Tsukumogami, spirit of household object. I read the information on Tsukumogami that, the Japanese believed that everything has spirit, and  a household object or tools or instrument will become alive, acquiring its own spirit, particularly for object or instrument that has served the household 100 or more years. I guess, the older it is the more powerful the spirit is. And the Tsukumogami that the professor helped Jin Kyung to find is an ancient drum. It could be a drum from Edo period and that's an equally or maybe more powerful drum spirit. :skull:

Mannnn, it was thrilling to see how freaked out the Chairman was when he realized the lighter was new lighter, and his body froze and in great pain caused by the curse So-Jin put on him. But, his human self was not conscious of what happening to him though. The evil spirit must've taken over his subconscious during the battle.
Whew, the intense drum performance is quite an exciting sight..that was a great battle, though I wish it would be a bit longer. Kekeke.:ph34r:

I will come back later after watching the sub. I can't figure out what exactly did the Chairman talked about in the car to his driver, as I heard it as if murmuring during live stream.. couldn't comprehend the words. LOL. I only can guess the context was about how he will become richer in a week (the IPO listing) and his despise with the 3rd generation Chaebol he met (woohooo!!! It's Kwon Yul cameo!)

I finished ep.3. So far so good. Some thoughts below

- Great to see Sung Dong Il in this kind of role. I think he nailed the evilness very well. 

- Surprised to see a protagonist ordering “kill” on someone she is upset with, and then followed by accepting “killing” of yet another person. So at times I mixed up that Jin Hee is a reporter, not a police officer. I guess she won’t feel that it’s wrong “killing” a person. I wonder how the dynamics between the couple will be when one is supposed to catch the “killer” while the other is the one assisting in the “killing”

- Why did the Chairman need to kill So-Jin’s mother? On the advice of Shaman Jin Kyung?

- I am impressed by the actress playing So-Jin. First time watching her since I have not watched Parasite yet. A pity she cannot join the cast at the various awards due to filming this drama, but she just added more reason for me to check out the movie (when I can find the time, haha)

- Detective Yang, cries... I didn’t think he would be alive but hope came when he was able to escape and run out, only to be bound by the dark power of Chairman...

- I knew the little dog will not make it, sobs...

Edit:

Finished ep.4 ~ hmm going forward, I cannot figure out how So Jin is able to fight against Chairman and Shaman duo. She is just a young girl against two seniors. Honestly, I don't know how to root for her as well because she doesn't really hesitate to use her power to "teach" other people some lessons for being less than righteous. Even for Jin Hee as well. She is so quick to use the Method to deal with Chairman... so, I think I am on the fence about continuing the show. I need to see some compelling reason to root for our protagonist, assuming they are So Jin and Jin Hee...?

I find this drama quite interesting it's like a crime thriller only black magic or shamanism is involved. Sadly this thread is pretty quiet.

59 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Why did the Chairman need to kill So-Jin’s mother? On the advice of Shaman Jin Kyung?

Good question. We have yet to know when shaman JinKyung got involved with the Chairman, was it before or after the ritual by SoJin's mom? Coz I feel she has an ulterior motive other then just protecting the chairman.

I hope SoJin won't go around cursing people just because she felt they should be taught a lesson.

My thought on Episode 4:

1) The best shaman character I ever seen in my 20 years of watching kdrama! I have never been so excited and expectant to watch a shaman's character and anticipating to the ritual performance in any drama before. LOL! Big applause for Jo Min Soo! This drama definitely redeemed the prospective of a shaman being one of the lead role greatly in my perspective after it was destroyed by OCN's Possessed. The thorough research she conducted with her assistant definitely fruitful and highly effective, and she takes no richard simmons in dealing with the spirits and assertive to her solution. It was brilliant of the writer whom intricately woven the knowledge on best method to face off the opponent spirit obtained through scientific research and articles of the folklore study into the execution of shamanic ritual with the drum. Damn, that was so satisfying to watch although I know she is on the bad side. LOL!

2) That being said, I am worried that So-Jin is the opposite of what Jin Kyung made of. She has no reliable knowledge on how exactly the supernatural works, how to manipulate it, no resources, and clueless to what are the causes and effects of performing something using the spirit. Neither taught, learnt, nor passed down to her. She always do the method on impulse and that's worrying. Now we see the curse boomerang back to her, and she's just lucky that the Inugami which also acts as her guardian is very strong to protect her from further physical damage. Else, she would have been dead on the spot due to the evil curse energy bounced back to her. And now from the preview, it seems she may have to resort to touching him directly to do the method on him as using the lighter may not work anymore. Sigh. That can't be achieved easily, unless they knock him unconscious and kidnap him away from shaman Jin Kyung. I bet someone will be sacrificed in the process to provoke the Chairman to use his energy to kill someone, and they take advantage of his vulnerable state for So-Jin to perform the method --- seeing Jin Kyung's wrath when she realizes the Chairman used up his energy again kinda foretelling me that might be the cause of his own demise later.

3) I still think the forest of curses may serve as "a tank" for the Chairman to collect the evil energy from the curses. This may be just the small purpose the tag play serves. But the bigger purpose might be something unimaginable at a massive scale. Well, in the religious aspect of viewing evil spirit or demons, their main purpose is to incite chaos in the world and conquering the human being. What exactly he's been planning to do, we need to watch more episodes to come. With the IPO listing coming, he got all the resources on his side at disposal - Spiritually, Virtually and Power of Money. That explains how he was so excited and anticipating the IPO listing so much, great amount of money can be amassing in short time from the public offering.

4) Jin Hee's scheme in getting the name in Chinese characters and belonging was brilliant, the plan concocted well-suit with her image as an experienced journalist. The Captain kind of redeem himself for me in this episode, using his intuition properly to assess the abduction site and eventually found the phone.

5) I wonder how did Jin Kyung and the Chairman came into the partnership though. I think there will be back story on this. Plus, I think Jin Kyung will also further research on So-Jin's family, and maybe we will get to know how did the Inugami came into the family's possession in future episodes. And I also guessing that the kind of spirit possessing the Chairman will also be told or narrated by Jin Kyung in the future. I can't wait to watch how will these details being laid out in future episodes.

54 minutes ago, imgreatgal said:

Good question. We have yet to know when shaman JinKyung got involved with the Chairman, was it before or after the ritual by SoJin's mom? Coz I feel she has an ulterior motive other then just protecting the chairman.

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

- Why did the Chairman need to kill So-Jin’s mother? On the advice of Shaman Jin Kyung?

No, it was the Chairman own order to eliminate So-Jin's mom as per phone conversation in episode 4 when Jin Kyung asks the Chairman about the village Asin-dong. In my opinion, he (or the evil spirit inside him) probably afraid that the only person that could obstruct him from doing everything that he planned to do was So-Jin's mom. It was her mom that "call out" the monstrous evil spirit anyway and facilitating the possession --- though she actually clueless what had she done. 

hi chingus! i just finished ep4.. i must say that all the shaman dances (soo jin’s mom and jin kyung) are really being amazingly choreographed! :open_mouth: the creepy energy.. the vibes.. every dance move!! i was like.. would the ghosts accidentally spook out of my tv screen while i was concentrating on it?!

soo jin is like a young performer without an adult guidance in dark magic which is very dangerous to her own being.. she might not know the consequences she might need to bear later on, how to control the dark powers of the inugami.. but who knows, the inugami itself could have been a young puppy spirit as well. :sweat:

as for jin hee, i’m slightly appalled and disgusted with her.. being an adult, she does not try to lead soo jin from turning everything to dark magic as a solution.. in fact, she herself relents to the easy quick fix and use soo jin’s power to solve her problems.. :unamused: when joo hwan died in such a terrible state, she doesn’t show much guilt which is a major turn off to me for such a flawed female lead :rage:

Spoiler

haha jiso is so cute!

On 2/22/2020 at 1:47 PM, sadthe1st said:

as for jin hee, i’m slightly appalled and disgusted with her.. being an adult, she does not try to lead soo jin from turning everything to dark magic as a solution.. in fact, she herself relents to the easy quick fix and use soo jin’s power to solve her problems.. :unamused: when joo hwan died in such a terrible state, she doesn’t show much guilt which is a major turn off to me for such a flawed female lead

I don't see that she has any options in this situation knowing that she is not fighting against a mere human but an evil spirit. 

SoJin was ready to do the procedure on the private eye but I'm glad JinHee didn't allow her to do it. I can understand SoJin's behaviour, she has been doing it since she was a child at her mom's insistence for money.

But I wonder if LeeHwan will let the private eye go after he has given the information.

@Ellander88 my friend...

Just watched episode 1 and 2 at 1 go!

It is definitely intriguing now.

Seeing what happened to that guy... 

I like it a lot:naughty:

That bones crunching sound... it's pretty satisfying. Lol

But I'm confused with the character played by Sung Dong-Il.

Is he really bad?

Geez.  It's almost night fall now.

Should I continue to watch episode 3 or just read everyone's comments to get by first?

Decision decision.....

Archived