[Drama 2019-2020] Civil War of Prosecutors, 검사내전

0ly40

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was surprised Seung Woong had a kid firstly but to find out that he's married WoW. That definitely burst my bubble of shipping him with Myung Joo (sigh) oh well~

Ep. 06-07 showed a lil more into Seong Woong & Myung Joo's backstories. In ep. 06 we find out Myung Joo grew up in an abusive home & that explains why she's so cold etc. I like how they told it in the perspective of the abuser's kids, not just the victim/spouse. And at the end Myung Joo made the effort to heal & reconnect with her mother.

That's quite a twist in ep.07 that Seong Woong's son was the bully LoL. I've experienced bullying, still do. People just suck is all (shrug) so I felt for the other bully victim when she wished her aggressors would die.        

Although is a prosecutor a just cause to be embarrassed LoL?! Kids I tell ya. Just be thankful your dad holds a respectable job & puts all your needs first ok lil kid?:P:rolleyes: At least he's not in some shady deal like a drug lord or something.:P

3 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

I like LSW word that nobody can be perfect in every roles in their life. And how he accept the punishment for his son, especially after seeing the high school girl case. His boy also definitely good talker and quite something :lol:

But of course I'm on the salty tandeem with my fellow @triplem :tears: sobbing... No romance is fine, but should they just kill my hope like that ? 

Haha omg I feel kinda bummed out too but Voice series lol that was the one of most anticipated couples but the main guy ended up dying and made the FL miserable so the bright side is that both of our leads are alive and still bickering. Lol

9 hours ago, Fabbo said:

Their marriage clearly isn't in a good place. Who knows maybe he is going to be the one cheating in a kdrama for once. Be careful what you wish for haha ;)

(I hope they can improve things)

Now this is a plot twist I don't actually mind seeing. It is reality that when men are transplanted for an extended period of time away from their families, affairs are not uncommon. Since this drama tries to be realistic, showing LSW having a weak moment is not actually too far-fetched. But do Korean leading men dare take this kind of risk in their dramas? 

I loved how episode 7 dealt with bullying and the way SW dealt with his son's case at the end. In the beginning, SW was like "But every child curses and does it. So what the issue?". Not to mention, his son wasn't even sorry for what he has done. And don't get me started on his attitude:crazy:. But SW never thought it from the other's perspective until MJ pointed out and saw himself what the bullied girl felt in the interrogation room. Bullying in any form is wrong and everyone has to be treated just the way you want to be. His son didn't even know what he did until he saw his mom crying at his school and then after he was taken to the police station. I'm glad he received his punishment  with his parents being with him until the end. 

EP 8 spoilers....

Episode 8 belonged to prosecutor YJ. The way she was juggling work, home and mostly the twins. It's really hard and if that was me, I would go crazy:unsure:. I'm glad her mother in law helps her with childcare and is not witch lol:lol:. At least she is looking after her grandsons though I was shocked they left the twins in the car. I wanted to throw something on the husband's face when he said he left his babies in the CAR:crazy:. Unbelievable:expressionless::triumph:.

I was wondering how she could come and go from SW apartment and we know why. They all live in the same floor even CMJ. I'm glad she has at least sometime to herself because she really needs it (My friend is going through the same thing and it's really hard to watch). 

Though I have to say, I'm disappointed with CMJ. MJ was really harsh on her but I'm glad she realized that she shouldn't have judged her just because she is a working mom or that she is bringing a bad reputation to being a female prosecutor. And who else was laughing when SW left her to look after the twins. The look of horror on her face when the babies started crying was priceless:mrgreen::joy:. I can relate to her when it comes to looking after kids lol:sweatingbullets::joy:.

As for the case of the week, I thought the woman was also lying in the beginning:unsure:. Majority of the time, I'm used to seeing women avoiding men's touch when it comes to sexual cases. This is why you shouldn't judge a book based on its cover. Just because some people look calm and collected, doesn't mean that something didn't happen. I hope SW charged the scumbag:crazy:.

And speaking of SW, he just picked up the Carpenter Ruler ROFL:mrgreen::joy:. He didn't even know WTH it was lol:lol:. I'm looking forward to MJ reaction Imao:lol:. And that ending, WTH have you done SW lol? JW is gonna kill him:joy::mrgreen:...

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Now this is a plot twist I don't actually mind seeing. It is reality that when men are transplanted for an extended period of time away from their families, affairs are not uncommon. Since this drama tries to be realistic, showing LSW having a weak moment is not actually too far-fetched. But do Korean leading men dare take this kind of risk in their dramas? 

Lee Sang Yoon tried this in the drama VIP.

His character had an affair while married with the female lead played by Jang Na Ra.

First of all, who would want to cheat on Jang Na Ra?!

His character, and probably himself, received a lot of hate from the viewers.

I guess he was saved because in his previous projects he is known for playing sympathetic roles (even when his character was having an affair with a married woman in On the Way to the Airport).

And, in his variety show Jibsabu, we get to see his nerdy side, how cute when he got awkward and shy :lol:.

But, I don't know if this drama, and LSK, is ready to take the risk....

Another winner episode!

Ep8 made me laughed and cried...

So many relatable moments, especially as a woman.

Finally, we got to Oh Pro story.

On previous episodes, they only shows us when Oh Pro has "easy" days, where she could have her "me time", drinking at the Fog or gambling with her friends.

Also now, we know that they all live in the same building, so it's easy for her to get to other's home.

I was tearing up when the pediatrician gave Oh Pro energy drink/multivitamin with "we're rooting for you" writing on it. 

Her struggle is not unfamiliar amongst working mom. To receive even a simple gesture of support really mean something.

On the other side, a criticism from fellow women could hurt more than receiving it from men.

I'm glad CMJ finally coming to understand Oh Pro's struggle. And I think she's beginning to thaw and slowly becoming a part of Jinyoung Prosecutors :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, lu09 said:

And speaking of SW, he just picked up the Carpenter Ruler ROFL:mrgreen::joy:. He didn't even know WTH it was lol:lol:. I'm looking forward to MJ reaction Imao:lol:. And that ending, WTH have you done SW lol? JW is gonna kill him:joy::mrgreen:...

:sweat_smile: We've been treating the carpenter's ruler as something important, when in fact it's just a thing LSW picked up.

And it had caused so many misunderstandings too...

This drama... I can't :joy:

Omo! So the carpenters ruler isn't LSW's? No wonder he was too casual about it and here we are going about how he's worthy of it more then CMJ. Lol Chief Jo must have bragged to the branch chief that one of his underlings has it and it was funny how he then had to lie about it.

Once again this drama lives up to its title. Civil War of Prosecutors/Diary of a Prosecutor. I like how the stories corresponds with their daily lifes and I think the average person can truly relate to it. 

I thought CMJ was being a little too condescending when she told OYJ to take a leave of absence if she can't cope with the workload. Understandably she was angry at OYJ for losing an abuse case. Wasn't the lawyer for that case the same with the unpaid wage's case. Haha he so annoying.  

I guess only a working mom with kids will truly understand how hard it is to juggle work and home. Its just typical for the woman to handle the kids, household chores and such. I assume OYJ's husband must be working in Seoul, but he doesn't look like the type to be changing diapers. OYJ is lucky to have her mom in law to mind the twins while she's at work. Incidents like the kids coming up with fever and all is bound to happen, it's part of the struggle to  being a working mom. The part where she voiced her thoughts but not really saying it out loud was good. I guessed she really needed to let it out of her system. 

The ending was funny. Those collection must be priceless that is why YW installed the passcode lock. Can't wait to see YW reaction hahaha

I just got caught up to ep 6 after falling so behind. This show is such a surprise, and to think I was laughing so hard till tears came out in ep 3, but wow, ep 4 and ep 6 were such gut-punchers. I didn't expect that. This show doesn't shy away from difficult topics, but it also doesn't "milk it" (not sure if this is the right description, but my mind is fried atm) for max drama effect. There's more that I want to say, but I'm still reeling from the emotional roller coaster that is ep 6. The poor granny, the way she portrayed her character throughout the episode, where she remained quiet until the end when she started to cry with her son after he apologizes to her, omg, that scene hit me really hard. I could just feel her anguish and everything that she kept pent up all these years, and then seeing her release all that pain, as if she could finally really breathe for the first time. CMJ's scene with her mom at the end got me too, I'm just glad she came to terms with her past and made up with her mom. 

9 hours ago, widala said:

First of all, who would want to cheat on Jang Na Ra?!

That's an argument that never works.

10 hours ago, widala said:

His character, and probably himself, received a lot of hate from the viewers.

Much of the criticsm was about his acting performance though. And i agree with that.

I think there an observation to be made that the female korean actresses take way more risks in their roles. Probably also due to the lack of complex roles. Well and it also has to do with how the male roles are written. You can probably count the cheating male lead characters one one hand.

For the female affairs side characters those roles actually often go to pretty big names who had some kind of "scandal" in the past like being divorced...  Some weird kind of type casting and they take that chance to get a foot back into the acting world.

But there are also a lot more other well known actresses who take those chances and that include leading characters as well. Kim Hee Ae, Jeon Do Yeon, Kim Nam Joo, Song Ji-hyo, Kim Ha-neul... to name a few.

Gee all that fuss over some carpenter's ruler - what the heck is that btw LoL!?:P

Seong Woong's in deep, deep, D E E P trouble for damaging those anime figurines ha-ha. Those are real expensive & for most part a collector's item oh boy.:sweatingbullets: What Myung Joo said to Ms. Oh was tactless to say the least.<_< I feel like the drama is geared more toward a slice-of-life mode now with the earlier laughs kept to a minimum.

With so many harassment & abuse in South Korea with the victims mainly women it's no wonder there's such a low birth rate. What's worse is the stigma attached to the women who come forward that just worsens the whole ordeal..     

5 hours ago, Fabbo said:

Much of the criticsm was about his acting performance though. And i agree with that.

I think there an observation to be made that the female korean actresses take way more risks in their roles. Probably also due to the lack of complex roles. Well and it also has to do with how the male roles are written. You can probably count the cheating male lead characters one one hand.

For the female affairs side characters those roles actually often go to pretty big names who had some kind of "scandal" in the past like being divorced...  Some weird kind of type casting and they take that chance to get a foot back into the acting world.

But there are also a lot more other well known actresses who take those chances and that include leading characters as well. Kim Hee Ae, Jeon Do Yeon, Kim Nam Joo, Song Ji-hyo, Kim Ha-neul... to name a few.

Looks like Lee Sang Yoon has been willing to take the risk, first with On the Way to the Airport and now VIP. Didn't look like his decision hurt his career. Wow, I never realized there were more big names on the actress side taking risks playing the "cheaters."  I really want to see this plot twist happening now. 

Is it just me or does Prosecutor Lee always wear his tie very sloppily? I am mesmerized by Lee Sang Hee's beautiful face.

Lol at the ending of episode 8. I wish we get to see Pro Kim's reaction, but I don't think we will. How do you even fix that mess of a situation? :lol:

Ok , I hv accepted the no romance bit :lol: . What else can I do ?

But fortunately the show is really good . The last two episodes resonated very much with me . Being a woman & working mum , eps 8 in particular brought up all the struggles & prejudices we face . 

My favourite bits :

6 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Gee all that fuss over some carpenter's ruler - what the heck is that btw LoL!?:P

Seong Woong's in deep, deep, D E E P trouble for damaging those anime figurines ha-ha. Those are real expensive & for most part a collector's item oh boy.:sweatingbullets: What Myung Joo said to Ms. Oh was tactless to say the least.<_< I feel like the drama is geared more toward a slice-of-life mode now with the earlier laughs kept to a minimum.

With so many harassment & abuse in South Korea with the victims mainly women it's no wonder there's such a low birth rate. What's worse is the stigma attached to the women who come forward that just worsens the whole ordeal..     

The "carpenter's ruler" - my quick google search is telling me it's also called a "vernier" - 유척 - it's one of the devices carried by Joseon era inspectors.

I guess those are like ancient prosecutors in Korean history?

I really loved how Prosecutor Lee did not even know what the heck it was. HAHAHA. It probably belonged to that guy who was at Jinyeong and went on to become Attorney General or something?

3 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I really loved how Prosecutor Lee did not even know what the heck it was. HAHAHA. It probably belonged to that guy who was at Jinyeong and went on to become Attorney General or something?

Which could only mean in school he did not belong to the super ambitious group of students who did everything to out outdo themselves and each other. As smart as he had to be to get admission into Seoul University, he must have been considered only average there. Cha Myung Joo on the other hand ... 

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Which could only mean in school he did not belong to the super ambitious group of students who did everything to out outdo themselves and each other. As smart as he had to be to get admission into Seoul University, he must have been considered only average there. Cha Myung Joo on the other hand ... 

Yes, I love that they show how compassionate and intelligent he is, but not some super-human perfect person.

While they're not meant to be romantic, there is still some reason why Myung Joo decided to come to Jinyoung after seeing Lee Seon Woong's profile on the website. Mystery yet unsolved!

Mystery of the yoo-chuk (carpenter's ruler) is finally solved. Myung Joo will have a good long laugh when she finds out.

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Looks like Lee Sang Yoon has been willing to take the risk, first with On the Way to the Airport and now VIP. Didn't look like his decision hurt his career. Wow, I never realized there were more big names on the actress side taking risks playing the "cheaters."  I really want to see this plot twist happening now. 

Yep. There is  Lee Sang-Yeob in Love Affairs in the Afternoon as well. But i'd say they are hardly in the same league as let's say Jeon Do Yeon. I can think of Yoo Ji-tae and Yoo Ah-in from the bigger names.

The episode was great. And those scenes with Oh Yoon-Jin commenting in her mind on her own behavior were real fun. 

I have to admit i got a bit frustrated at her step mom at first. Which is a bit sad on my part because of course i know that she also tries her best and she isn't at her best health either. But how he treats his son was really frustrating. 

That scene at the hospital where she acknowledges her kind of saved it. Sometimes everyone tries their best and it's all richard simmons anyway because the system is trash.

That said my furstrations shifted more to the husband. He seems really useless when is not working. I doubt he ever changed a diaper. If they left the twins with him for too long they would probably die somewhere in the car because of heat or cold because he forgot them.

Part of it are larger societal and cultural problems but his mother has to carry some blame as well. I think for it is pretty clear how the distribution of roles should be her despite her saying she respects Oh Yoon-Jin's career and stuff. Joking about how it would be useless anyway if her son took parental leave. But implying that that's just natural.

Well respecting each other and seeing each others perspective is a first important. Especially Oh Yoon-Jin and her mother in law. Her mother in law might also think that they take her for granted. I just hope her husband does the same thing. He seemed frustratingly clueless. Even if he can't help them raising their childs (which is just... ok i stop) he can still help out in other ways. And well acknowledgement would be a very important step.

Episode 7 recap from Dramabeans

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/01/diary-of-a-prosecutor-episode-7/

DoP07-00986.jpg

This hour explores the brutal world of tweens and teens. The casual cruelty they inflict on their peers can have life-changing ramifications. Some kids truly don’t realize how their actions can affect the lives of others, but what about those who simply don’t care? That’s the question our parents and prosecutors grapple with as they’re faced with the unpleasant reality that kids can be vicious. Our lead’s family life and work life collide as he’s forced to stand on opposite sides of the same issue, caught between his love for his child and what he thinks is right.

I really "liked" the way the show handled the bullying in episode 7, they showed the different perspectives of the parents of both the abuser and the abused, and also one that's removed and shown facts ala the prosecutors. I really strongly felt what CMJ commented throughout the episode, like her telling the victim that it's not her fault, she doesn't have to forgive anyone if she doesn't want to, and that the person who is the recipient of all the abuse is the one to decide what and how they feel. It's really easy to fall into how LSW's reaction, how it's just yelling and that the words don't mean anything. However, we see through the parents conference that those words Jae-Hoon uttered meant a whole lot to the person he said them to; for some people, these mean nothing, but for others, those words will cut deep and leave behind devastating scars. It's good that he took and accepted responsibility at the end and faced the situation with his son together with his wife, and also how he's spending time with his son. 

Archived