[Drama 2019-2020] Civil War of Prosecutors, 검사내전

0ly40

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.soompi.com/article/1375127wpp/reasons-why-war-of-prosecutors-makes-viewers-look-forward-to-mondays

Reasons Why “War Of Prosecutors” Makes Viewers Look Forward To Mondays

Jan 4, 2020
by L. Kim

War of Prosecutors” is the cure for the Monday blues!

The JTBC series follow the lives of ordinary prosecutors and centers on the story of a prosecutor named Lee Sun Woong (played by Lee Sun Gyun), who works at his local district’s Public Prosecutors’ Office, and a prosecutor named Cha Myung Joo (played by Jung Ryeo Won), who was a rising star at the Central District Office before suddenly getting transferred to a branch office.

Here are three reasons why the drama is being loved by viewers:

Lovable characters you can empathize with

The biggest reason why “War of Prosecutors” is so loved is because of the diverse charms of the relatable characters. The prosecutors in this drama are not superheroes who face evil with a sense of justice or people who boast of power, but normal human beings who work for the second criminal division of the Jinyoung branch.

First off, there is Lee Sun Woong whose hobby is “begging investigations” and goes back and forth between being a pathetic loser and sharp prosecutor. Then there is Jo Min Ho (Lee Sung Jae), a “tsundere” (cold on the outside, warm on the inside) chief prosecutor who tries hard to be youthful, and Hong Jong Hak (Kim Kwang Gyu), who doesn’t have a single bad bone in his body. Oh Yoon Jin (Lee Sang Hee) is the working mother struggling between career and family who we all have seen at some point in our lives and Kim Jung Woo (Jeon Sung Woo) is a rookie prosecutor whose priority is capturing photos for his social media and meeting the right girl via blind dates. Then there is Cha Myung Joo, a star prosecutor who was demoted and relocated.

Each character has a distinct personality and a sympathetic story. Added to this are the amazing acting skills of the actors.

war-of-prosecutors.jpg

Refreshing stories that are believable

Instead of a massive conspiracy or bloody revenge, “War of Prosecutors” features events that can be fully encountered in everyday life. The past four episodes revolved around realistic cases, like ones involving cow dung, fraud, and recurring payments. They are all everyday events that can happen to ordinary people, but on the other hand, they were not very much covered in legal dramas, so it was a refreshing experience to see them on screen now. The drama broke away from the usual prosecutor dramas and evoked sympathy with believable stories.

Charming CG (computer graphics) and ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response)

Viewers can’t take their eyes off the drama because of the CG and ASMR. There are also interesting eating scenes that captivate your attention all the time. The cute CG captions evoke laughter from the viewers, and the variety of food, including eel soup, pasta, oysters, and black bean noodles, stimulate the desire to eat late night snacks.

48 minutes ago, icemaid said:

When fanboy Brad Pitt met Song Kang Ho, guess who was there too?

Our Prosecutor LSW! No wonder he's got the carpenter ruler! ;):lol:

Here are more pictures from the event in LA. He probably got a break from shooting because of the show being canceled last week. What a great timing!

A new blog translating Korean netizens' comments on certain dramas:

https://koreanewstranslated.com/tag/war-of-prosecutors/

Translating Korean Content
Primary Navigation Menu

An article on Forbes here. Wish she hadn't misspelled his name.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2020/01/04/lee-sun-kyung-follows-parasite-with-comic-role-in-war-of-prosecutors/#7654be304f9b

Lee Sun-Kyung Follows ‘Parasite’ With Comic Role In ‘War of Prosecutors’

Joan MacDonaldContributor 
Hollywood & Entertainment
I'm a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film.

War of Prosecutors

The prosecutors in 'War of Prosecutors' do their best while facing often overwhelming odds.

JTBC

For a follow-up to his turn as the privileged head of the Park family in Bong Joon-ho’s film Parasite, Lee Sun-kyun has chosen a TV comedy about prosecutors. 

In the JTBC series War Of Prosecutors aka Diary of a Prosecutor, Lee plays Lee Sun-woong, who works at the prosecutor’s office in Jinhyeong, a small city in southern Korea. The city has its share of crimes but none that gathers enough nationwide attention to place them on the map. The prosecutors are so overburdened with mountainous piles of legal paperwork, each day pretty much blends into the next and the highlight of their morning meeting is where to eat lunch. Food is one thing the prosecutors, also played by Lee Sung-jae, Kim Kwang-gyu, Lee Sang-hee and Jeon Sung-woo, have to look forward to in the relentless onslaught. They indulge so frequently and heartily during the first few episodes that the drama might as well be a mukbang, an online broadcast focused on a host happily devouring food.

The most exciting thing about the office is the possibility of a ghost haunting Room 309 but the woman who winds up working in that room turns out to be even scarier. She is the famous prosecutor Cha Myung-Joo, played by Ryeo Jung-won, who for her audacity in challenging power gets downsized to the small city’s prosecutor’s office. It quickly becomes obvious that Cha has her own way of doing things, which particularly irks Lee, who feels she is not taking the time to understand the background of some of the cases they are working on. 

Complicating the situation is the fact that Lee and Cha attended the same university, which she does not acknowledge. Whether or not she remembers him as a student she rejects any current overtures of camaraderie. Some of her dislike of her former fellow student and colleague seem to relate to his wealthy background. The two prosecutors quickly find themselves at war over how to handle different cases.

The dryly humorous drama is based on novel Geomsawejeon, which was written by real-life prosecutor Kim Woong. The screenplay was written by Park Yeon-seon, who wrote the 2016 drama Hello My Twenties aka Age of Youth. It’s a reunion for Park and director Lee Tae-gon, who also worked on Hello My Twenties and its 2017 sequel. Although the series was inspired by the novel, in an interview with The Korea Times, the director said that he also interviewed real-life prosecutors to create a story that was even more dramatic.

Much of what Jinhyeong’s prosecutors deal with is pretty humdrum, vandalism over a love quarrel or petty fraud, but the prosecutors will soon be called on to handle a more dramatic case. Will Lee Sun-woong and Cha Myung-Joo call a truce or will their ongoing battle damage future cases? It’s also likely that these two dedicated prosecutors fight so passionately that they will fall in love, but first he’ll have to solve the mystery of why she dislikes him so much.

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

An article on Forbes here. Wish she hadn't misspelled his name.

The writer also wrote JRW's name in the wrong order : Ryeo Jung Won

It I'm not mistaken, the family name is Jung, so you either wrote it Jung Ryeo Won or Ryeo Won Jung, not put Jung in the middle :sweatingbullets:

But anyway, it's a nice article. And it seems like the writer is LSW and CMJ shipper too :lol:

I'm so excited for tomorrow!

Can't wait for that gambling lesson :D

Although, tbh I'm a bit worried about the ratings.

Personally, I don't really care about ratings. Some of enjoyable dramas for me have low ratings.

But I understand that ratings is one of the indicators the drama was a success, has a lot of viewers (thus gain a lot of sponsors) and can reflect positively towards the production team.

Some reading about ratings, in case anyone interested

https://www.google.com/amp/s/aminoapps.com/c/k-drama/amp/blog/understanding-viewership-ratings/g01h_6u4blLnz8WZNlB3WNRed7eBg7

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kdramapal.com/kdrama-tv-ratings-why-bother-looking-at-them/amp/

Since this is my faves's drama, I want it to do well...

Let's hope for the best :thumbsup:

I feel like it's kind of sharing the same audience with Black Dog. At least i would have a hard time deciding what to watch. And there was also VIP on the time spot. With it gone it might change up things a bit. That being said Dr. Romantic 2 is coming next and Season 1 was very popular for reasons i don't understand.

4 hours ago, widala said:

Yes, the competition in Mon-Tues slot is fierce.

I don't know... Do you guys think this drama needs more promotion?

That would certainly help. I can't believe in these past 14 days there was not a single promo material coming out of this drama production. Way to get forgotten by the fickle viewers for sure. <_< That aside, I personally think this show needs to pick up its pace a bit and give us more hints at the direction it's going. I think many people, myself included, are getting a bit impatient. 

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

That would certainly help. I can't believe in these past 14 days there was not a single promo material coming out of this drama production. Way to get forgotten by the fickle viewers for sure. <_< That aside, I personally think this show needs to pick up its pace a bit and give us more hints at the direction it's going. I think many people, myself included, are getting a bit impatient. 

Right?

Black dog release still cuts and short clips like everyday on IG and Twitter which have broader reach. They also release bts and OST.

While this drama only release some still cuts on the weekends, mostly on YouTube and as articles. I don't know how effective those media for Korean audience.

You're right that viewers are fickle and there are so many dramas. They need to keep the viewers interested or they will lose them...

I hope from this episode the relationship between the leads will take a more fresh direction, with less antagonism :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Fabbo said:

The premiere ratings were pretty good though right? But it had declined after that.

This worries me even more. It meant viewers were actually excited and willing to give this drama a chance, but the decline in ratings meant they didn't find it compelling enough. 

8 hours ago, Fabbo said:

The premiere ratings were pretty good though right? But it had declined after that.

Btw how big are those services like Tving in korea? Or is it really mostly about live ratings?

Yes, the first episode ratings is one of JTBC dramas highest premiere ratings. But it keeps declining... episode 5 ratings is 3,6%...

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

This worries me even more. It meant viewers were actually excited and willing to give this drama a chance, but the decline in ratings meant they didn't find it compelling enough. 

Agreed.

It's just too bad when this drama had a very good start, but somehow couldn't keep the viewers engaged.

Now that they probably already filming the last episodes, there's nothing they can do story wise, so I guess it depends on the promotion to try to increase the ratings.

But personally, I like this drama.

And not just because the leads are my faves :D

I like the lively narration, gives the "diary" feels.

The characters are relatable and flawed. Also the easy camaraderie between them.

I haven't watched ep5, but it seems like we get to know more about LSW and CMJ past.

And the gambling lesson is so funny :lol:

I really enjoyed last night's episode... who knew LSW and gang enjoy gambling in private...from illegal fishing to house gambling ..they are clearly not very law abiding are they :joy:.   I laughed my head off at how the Dept Chief decided to bring the whole jing bang to raid the gambling den. And CMJ took her undercover role quite seriously . She was so proud and happy when she kept winning. Lol!

I really wanted to  know if she was going to win :lol:

Okay so LSW thinks that CMJ comes from a rich family , but it doesn't seem that way. Was her dad abusive ? That new case seemed rather personal and she lost control of her emotions in the preview...can't wait to find out more.

Preview

Spoiler

So since ratings etc was brought up,  I just want to say that it doesn't reflect the quality of this drama . I know it is important to cast and crew , but I like the direction the story is taking . It is somewhat slice of life , not quite plot driven . This is a rather refreshing legal drama - quite different from others I have seen. You've got a solid cast and  sharp witty conversations with a lot of heart. I have watched many really good dramas that don't always garner high ratings and many highly rated ones are actually quite disappointing.  So don't worry too much about those numbers . :)

Archived