Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cybertron

[OFFICIAL] Hyun Bin ❤️ Son Ye Jin (BinJin Couple)

2 hours ago, cloyfan said:

IMO marriage is not a death stamp

for acting in romantic dramas or movies. But regardless of where their relationship takes them, HB and SYJ are first and foremost professionals with almost 2 decades of experience. If I were them, I would be a little offended if I were told that I should not take on romantic roles anymore just because the public can’t disassociate me from a previous role enough to embrace a new one. They’ve immersed themselves into all their previous characters and developed chemistry with previous co-stars and I am sure they will continue to do so. I actually think the limiting factor for them in finding romantic genre projects in the future is age and they both seem to recognize this (as they have both mentioned in different interviews how important taking on age appropriate roles is to them). Anyway, I guess my point is CLOY will always have a special place in my heart (and will likely be my favorite project of theirs forever) but its massive popularity should not prevent them from taking on whatever roles they want in the future.

Very well said. I agree! Marriage is not a death stamp. They are already a-list actors who actually in my opinion doesn't need to prove anything anymore when it comes to their craft. They already proved a lot, enjoyed their single life to the fullest i guess, well established, and at their right age. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, boonieyo said:

1. I don't think you have any idea how big some other Kdramas are. CLOY are little in comparison to Kdramas such as MLFTS, Goblin, DOTS and older ones such as Dae Jang Gum, Winter Sonata, BOF, Full House. These Kdramas are definition of cultural phenoms, which CLOY cannot be due to the conflicting state between SK and NK and it's okay. Because of the conflict, SK cannot ride on CLOY at all for tourist sites and etc. Someone also said that CLOY was in top 3 in all streaming platforms in the US. I'd like to clarify that it is not true. Streaming platforms are available all around the world, and one of the list that someone brought up should include all countries around the world.

2. HB and SYJ are already Hallyu stars before CLOY. They are already A-list actors before CLOY. CLOY is not what defines them at all. HB had MLKSS and Secret Garden which was bigger than CLOY both domestically and internationally. SYJ had A Moment to Remember, The Classic which achieved Pan-Asia popularity. CLOY may be what brought them the international attention again after years of focusing on movies, but certainly not the work that define them.

Probably I shouldn’t post this becaus it is not literally binjin related but I don’t know if  you are speaking from the korean point of view or internationally. And I don’t want ppl to get the wrong idea. I don’t know much about how popular CLOY is in korea, but being currently 2nd highest rated drama in cable tv it must be a huge achievement. Speaking internationally, with Netflix nowadays the amount of viewers you can reach out it is incomparable to any other steaming service and being 3rd on this platform is crazy !! CLOY has been on top 5 for weeks consecutively!! Will see if any other drama will have the same inpact in the future, now that more and more dramas are streamed on Netflix. Maybe the above mentioned dramas are more popular in the kdrama world/kdrama watchers but CLOY was a korean Netflix series that reached “random” Netflix users all around the world. It is very popular in Europe too. Our binjin couple did that, their off charts chemistry made everyone fall in love with this foreign language lovestory. We are not trying to compare it to all these previous popular dramas, even because they were popular in different time periods and deserve their recognition.But I believe hb and syj should be praised for their (current) exeptional international success with CLOY. I wish more attention was given to this fact so we could have more post CLOY contents.

• Like 13
  • Love 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kari said:

HB and SYJ are smart actors who have made more right choices in selecting roles than wrong ones. So I trust them in whatever roles they'll choose next, so let's not get too worked up on if or when they should be in another rom com or love story etc. As commenters have mentioned, they both have said they want to play character that are suitable to their age. "Suitable to their age" doesn't mean it can't necessarily be a love story or rom com. It's just the characters need to at least have the level of maturity that matches their current age. Like I can't imagine SYJ doing something like Spellbound or HB doing SeGA again.

For me, one of the many elements why CLOY was so successful is because both Bin and Jin are very seasoned and mature actors. If I remember correctly, Seri and Jung Hyuk are in their early 30s (both born in 1988?). They were literally playing someone 6 years younger than their actual selves. I personally feel that if Seri and JH were played by younger, less-experienced actors, the drama would've came off a bit childish. In my opinion, some of the plots in CLOY were a bit cheesy from time to time. But at the hands of SYJ and HB, they added this level of depth and sincerity to their characters that makes you love the cheesiness. (Same for Seo Ji Hye, I like her too and she' was wonderful) 

As for CLOY's popularity in comparison to other dramas, I won't beat a dead horse here since it's been debated over and over. We can go on and on about the productions, the storylines, the mediums they were released on (Netflix vs local channels internationally). I do think an important component of CLOY's success is due to it being on Netflix. I'm in the US and it certainly made my viewing a lot more accessible. In the past, I waited at least a year after the dramas were over to watch MLFTS and DOTS on Viki. I only recently started Goblin. But I will say this: CLOY is a cultural phenomenon. I feel like it's a bit dishonest to say it isn't. The only reason I decided to watch CLOY is because of the NK-SK story line. SK has produced so many projects on NKoreans in SK, but CLOY is probably the first (?) where a SKorean ends up in the NK. And in entirely new fashion from other SK productions, NK not only wasn't portrayed as a land of evil, the show gave this "secretive" country and its people a human side. I think it even got more people interested in (visiting) NK. lol I've always had this desire to visit NK and this show just made me really put NK on my list of places to visit should circumstances allow. 

The theme of separation/reunification was present throughout all 16 episodes. Every time Seri had to say goodbye to the NK ahjummas, the puppy soldiers and of course JH, my heart broke a little, because as the audience I know it is impossible for them to see each other again. Not to mention ep 16 their "final" goodbye at the demarcation line. Remember one of Seri's lines to JH was something like "I can go to Antarctica but I can't come here (NK)." And Seri was the only one who constantly mentioned or expressed desire for reunification. None of the NKorean characters ever really mentioned it. Even though Seri said those lines for love, as an audience we know it's deeper than that. It's through Seri, the SKorean, we as the audience are inspired to really ponder more seriously about the Korean peninsula. We've all seen on the news how some Korean elders were allowed to reunite with families (siblings, parents!) from the other side because they were abruptly separated. However, they reunion was only for an hour! If we think about it, Seri and JH's ending mirrors that. And this is why CLOY also got politicians watching it. Even the current First Lady of Korea watched it. On the surface CLOY isn't political, but I'm sure it has struck a nerve and started a conversation. And personally, if we want to talk about timeline of dramas, I REALLY don't think CLOY could've been made a few years ago under the previous Korean president (who was more conservative and censored the K-ent industry). But I'm not Korean, so feel free to correct me.

If you ask me, CLOY doesn't have the same sophistication in writing as some other dramas. The story line is pretty simple and predictable. But the storytelling is superb and the  production is definitely out of this world. I'm in the US so there's a lot of ugliness in politics right now, especially in how Americans view Asia. For me, CLOY is the medicine that came out at the right now, providing a dose of love and understanding in a time where hatred is more acceptable. 

Edit: If relations between the two countries take a positive turn in the future, I hope HB and SYJ (and the cast and crew) can take comfort in playing a small role in shaping opinions. 

Just wanna shout out that this is a very very well articulated post. :) I agree wholeheartedly to everything you said.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Lurker here☺️. Anyway, been reading everyones opinions and I must say there are a lot of interesting and intellectual conversations. I am Trying to stay out, but can’t help putting my own thoughts. I’m no expert, but I feel like there is a lot of stigma surrounding famous people dating. I just don’t get it so, pardon me.

I understand we are all entitled to one’s opinions, but I think it all comes down to how our perception and reality plays into this and that is why it is important to differentiate between principle and opinion. Principle is up for discovery. It is the essence of reality. Opinions are conclusions not necessarily based on facts, they are our so called “assumptions”. We have to remember that Binnie and Ye-jin perceptions and reality is different from ours. Being an A listers actors already put them in a lot of pressure. Accepting CLOY knowing it would create a stir and put them in an unprecedented territory, but the love for the craft is unquestionable and we all can agree that both are principled hence, the acceptance to work together despite of all the rumors surrounding their personal life. Principle is the essence of reality and can only be discovered, with that being said, you can practically observed it on both of them and that principle lead them to act accordingly, because in it’s total essence they are discovering and is still discovering one another and knowing what they have is a very special kind. We’ve seen it point blank, heck we can even feel it ourselves. The connection between them is just too strong to deny. That is why We all have been very intrusive of that relationship and have been creating our own reality for them. Being famous comes with a hefty price to pay and they know it. They realize it and that is why I think they have given us an insider look of that special closeness with just a little bit enough to let us in on that very personal and private space they have created for themselves, even allowing us to see snippets of how each other sentiments echos one another, but also with Enough room for themselves to preserve the privacy they also deserve.

As human beings we gravitate towards less pain and more pleasure, we don’t worry about the consequences we are making base on all the assumptions we are having about them and I think they worry because their personal and professional life is at stake here. They want this relationship to work and in order for that relationship to work they are willing to experience all the discomfort that comes within being in the public eye even if it means denying everything And playing coy just to achieve that long term positive result. We just have to let them be and enjoy what they allow us to see. We should give them the privacy they desire and wait for their reality because when they are ready and that time is right they will give it to us and we all can be happy. It is already hard being in the public eye, where every move is being criticized. Let us give them some normalcy by not hounding them. Let us not burden them with our own reality. Let them have their own reality. They might be famous, but they are also humans just like the rest of us.

In the words of Bishop Butler, “Things and actions are what they are, and the consequences of them will be what they will be; why then should we desire to be deceived.

• Like 15
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

About fans, I guess the reason why you see mostly SEA fans in the comment sections of Insta and Twitter is cuz they are still one of the biggest group of Kdrama fans. But we are also missing out another big group which are the China fans - we are not as aware about them unless we can read chinese and are active on China social media. But don't be surprised that western fans eg. US can just be as massive in terms of online banters/ cmments/ trolling etc. I notice that in Kpop due to the recent big growth of kpop in US and other European countries.:D

THIS! :thumbsup: I'm originally from SEA but I'm in the US. Ethnicity-wise, fans that make up BinJin's fans here are either from Asia or from the Americas (Caucasian, black American, Latinos)  -  so that's mostly, everyone. :lol: I, myself, was surprised to have found on YouTube and on Facebook a huge chunk of non-Asian fans scrutinizing and analyzing CLOY who have crossed over to shipping the two. :heart: Not to beat a dead horse, but this was the reason why I mentioned in the past that culture plays a huge role as to why new shippers (like me!) may not understand right away certain grey areas of the rules where shipping them is concerned. I believe, some shippers here are more blunt than others and thus, could be interpreted as disrespectful but do not really mean any harm in reality. So yeah, love and peace to all of our fellow shippers, here. :wub::kiss_wink:

Moving on, going back to SYJ crying (and being comforted by HB) during their last day for the CLOY shoot, I think it mostly had to do with her coming to love the entire cast and crew of whom she'd seen nearly everyday for six (?) months. I think it doesn't have anything to do with her not seeing her, ehem, boyfriend (fiancé? :relaxed:), anymore, as they both knew that they'd always see each other, anyway.

Also, yeah. What's up with the CLOY cake design at the after-party? It was mentioned here, before, that cakes are not uncommon in wrap-up/viewing/after parties but just how often is it that cakes for events like this take up several layers, is in pastel colors and has tons of flowers normally seen in, well, engagements and weddings? :lol:

And man. The thought that HB might be a lurker here is definitely not an impossibility!

All I know right now is how I'd love to be that fly on the wall wherever those two may be! This drought is driving me insane! lol

• Like 12
  • Love 4

@Sukma Anggraini  @nightskye Hi. That’s right. That post said that KTP (initials of HB’s real name Kim Tae Pyung) is here/reading soompi. I noticed the post because the person posting it is a senior shipper who is very careful about the content of postings. Another senior shipper replied to that post too as if knowing about it. If it was a shared joke, it wasn’t worded that way. Sorry I’m not mentioning names here out of respect for that shipper, whom I guess wouldn’t want to be queried again because she would have had good reasons to decline (after I asked) elaborating on how she knew HB was in this thread. As I said, I think it possible that HB finds ways to check on the pulse of fans, including via this forum but would do so only occasionally and randomly. Main thing is, if indeed HB came in, how wonderful because he’ll see there is much love & support for BinJin here.:wub: True, there’s lots of naughty, spicy stuff too but thunderous, well-meaning support!:D

It’s hard during a drought. When half of BinJin is visible and the other half not, the mind can go bonkers with speculation and irritability is easily aroused! But I’d like to think that while it is a drought for us, it spells the return to normalcy for BinJin – with HB filming and as for SYJ, it crossed my mind that she may be occupied with either plain old rest or even something mundane like renovating/redecorating her villa!:) The best decisions are made in periods of calm:wub:, so I am keeping my fingers, eyes and toes crossed.

@Restless  I smiled reading your analysis that "HB has stamped TAKEN onto SYJ with his protective wall" of love and affection. He does give off that kind of vibe, doesn't he? I think of how SYJ has had to fend for herself and rely on herself all her working life thus far and now to have someone like attentive and caring HB around, wow. It seems like HB is comfortable with macro, grand gestures of affection to SYJ, whereas she appears more into the micro, finer moves. Like this one, as just one example.

hbsyj-Touch.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 20

I'm a kdrama fan a long time ago and have stopped watching for the past 7 years. I know that doesn't make me reliable for I have only watched the classic old kdrama like FULL HOUSE, MNIKSS, ENDLESS LOVE but I would say that even with a simple storyline, CRASH LANDING ON YOU really satisfied me that I told myself that I don't need to watch any kdrama anymore because I've seen one the best. What made me watch it? I don't have a netflix account. I also did not watch it because of people's recommendation. I watched it because of HYUN BIN and SON YE JIN, two A-list actors in Korea. I have to say that I have prejudice against young korean actors, I prefer watching mature A-list actors. I can't imagine CLOY being played by young actors under 35 years old. BinJin's chemistry is the main flavor of this kdrama, a more mature and sincere love.

• Like 9
  • Love 11
  • Insightful 1

10 minutes ago, BJHope said:

@Restless  I smiled reading your analysis that "HB has stamped TAKEN onto SYJ with his protective wall" of love and affection. He does give off that kind of vibe, doesn't he? I think of how SYJ has had to fend for herself and rely on herself all her working life thus far and now to have someone like attentive and caring HB around, wow. It seems like HB is comfortable with macro, grand gestures of affection to SYJ, whereas she appears more into the micro, finer moves.

I smiled at what @Restless said, too! I definitely could not agree more! :wub:

In addition, what you said re SYJ having to fend for and rely on herself all her working life couldn't ring more true! I'm imagining how they could have already had that conversation where HB assured her that more than anything, all he wants is to be that man who wants to take care of her for the rest of her life.

• Love 10

11 hours ago, cloyfan said:

IMO marriage is not a death stamp

for acting in romantic dramas or movies. But regardless of where their relationship takes them, HB and SYJ are first and foremost professionals with almost 2 decades of experience. If I were them, I would be a little offended if I were told that I should not take on romantic roles anymore just because the public can’t disassociate me from a previous role enough to embrace a new one. They’ve immersed themselves into all their previous characters and developed chemistry with previous co-stars and I am sure they will continue to do so. I actually think the limiting factor for them in finding romantic genre projects in the future is age and they both seem to recognize this (as they have both mentioned in different interviews how important taking on age appropriate roles is to them). 

Yep, I agree with you on this. Marriage should not prevent SYJ and HB from doing any romantic-related works in the future. As a fan of both of them, I myself would be offended too if I hear directors/screenwriters no longer want to consider these two for romantic or any kind of roles just because they have a ring on their left hand or fans are too obsessed with their CLOY chemistry that they refuse to see other men/women pairing with SYJ and HB in the future. Though I understand there are fans who are worried, I'm personally and secretly (well, not so secret anymore as I'm saying this) wishing that they would stop fretting about that.

I personally believe they still have time and opportunities ahead of them to explore many more things with acting, directing, producing....so I'd see the discussion of doing romantic roles or not will only take up a small part of their future acting plans. I'd be more than happy to see them take on other genres that they haven't done so, like SYJ saying she wants to try taking on horror.

Plus, if HB and SYJ get married, they'd be busy creating and maintaining their own romantic real life anyway :))

• Like 6
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, boonieyo said:

I guess I have to say it again, your opinion, my opinion, whoever's opinion, on what is the "best K-drama ever" are all just opinions, NOT facts. So, saying that "CLOY are bigger than some of those dramas is just simply wrong..." is simply an opinion too. We all have opinions, if those websites, articles, magazines, etc. say that CLOY is the biggest K-drama, that is their opinion too but they have higher/wider platforms to share it with. But to ME, CLOY is soooo successful for this K-drama generation that it not just showed its "superbness" but also re-introduced some new international viewers to other K-dramas. Netflix is a big factor and all the right things that CLOY did. (no need to expound on this one)

It is also wrong to say that other OSTs are much more popular than CLOY. Is there are a world chart for K-drama OSTs? Because as I know, CLOY OST is known to the world now, not just SK. We have fans/shippers here from Europe, America & other parts of the world. We don't know their music charts there or if they ever knew the OST of those other K-dramas.

CLOY has very little fashion?! Oh gosh, from head to foot, they're dressed to the nines esp.  Yoon Se-ri, RJH & Seo Dan (this girl is love!)

Lastly, this is a shippers thread as reminded by our other group members. I just can't help myself not to respond when you're downplaying the success of CLOY and analyzing our opinions bit by bit. If you are a fan of other K-dramas, we are actually not allowed to mention them here because of this exact scenario, we tend to compare with our opinions.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

i don't know, but i just hope that they take a break despite all these yeara working and make time for some life happiness like marriage, having kids, dating and so on that they couldnt do during earlier days..they deserve happiness like everyone else..i really hope they could live their life to the fullest just like rain and taehee

• Like 3
  • Love 3

My dear Chingu-deul, since I have been tagged, I feel compelled to come in here to state my position on this matter. My apologies in advance if what I am going to say may hurt your feelings.

Those of you who have interacted with me over here when I was participating in the discussion would know that I have left this thread midway through CLOY’s airing. This was after Hyunbin’s agency issued a denial statement and even a warning of legal action against rumor mongering midway through the drama’s airing. In my last post here, I did state this clearly. Thereafter, after CLOY ended and after the wrap up party (one or two days after if I remember correctly), because of an edited BTS photo being circulated, another round of rumors was generated. This time, his agency issued another statement with a categorical denial. A close aide of his also stated this to reporters: “Since morning he’s been hounded by dating rumors. He’s frustrated that these rumors keep popping  up. It is understandable that many people want them to date after seeing their great chemistry in the drama, but the fact is that they are not in a romantic relationship. They were never in a romantic relationship in the past and neither are they in the present.”

As a fan of Hyun Bin, I care about his feelings. I want to take what he has stated in his response about this matter at face value and trust and believe in what he has said.

I have chosen not to post about my position or my translation of these denial news (especially over here) because of my regard for your feelings. A number of you have also DMed me and to those whom I have not responded to, this post explains why I don’t want to discuss this matter any further.

If you have read all my previous posts, you would also know that I was very supportive of Binjin shipping. And I am not against Binjin shipping at all.

However as I am only a Hyunbin fan, I care about what he has stated as his official position and I respect his position and privacy. I also don’t want to engage in speculations. As such, I no longer want to be involved in Binjin shipping. Because of that, I request that you don’t circulate my tweets about Hyunbin in here. I do not want anything I do to contribute to further speculations and the possibility of more rumors; all resulting in more trouble for Hyunbin. In any event, the tweet thread of my translation of his interview article that was shared here by @cloyfan is, as far as I am concerned, not relevant to Binjin at all.

If you are interested to find out more about Hyunbin, you may follow my Twitter account :) Please note that that is not a fan account and I use it to tweet about other stuffs too. In fact, my fangirling of Hyunbin has been kept strictly to interactions with his Chinese fans (that was where I started anyway) and though I have had my Twitter account for more than 4 years alr, I have only started to use it to tweet about him recently. For your info, as a matter of culture, Chinese fans of actors are strongly against shipping of drama couples and I have had first hand negative experiences from my Binjin supporting :sweatingbullets:

Thank you for reading! And thank you in advance for respecting my wishes. And please DO NOT LIKE/RESPOND to or QUOTE my past posts anymore haha - coz the notifications keep reminding me of my regretful actions in the past.  

I wish you all more happiness in your Binjin shipping (please do so respectfully). Thank you and I’ll see some of you in other Soompi threads again sometime! Goodbye!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome 1

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I believe that the people here are fans of HB/SYJ/CLOY in a way. I humbly request everyone to maintain respect on differing opinions. It is just sometimes reading arguments are draining and it takes out the fun. At some point we have to agree to disagree and then move on.

As I've said before, this is a happy place for most of us and would want to stay that way.

Peace :heart:

• Like 10

12 hours ago, boonieyo said:

I would like to clarify some things. It's good to hype things up but not good if you are saying too many untrue things.

1. I don't think you have any idea how big some other Kdramas are. CLOY are little in comparison to Kdramas such as MLFTS, Goblin, DOTS and older ones such as Dae Jang Gum, Winter Sonata, BOF, Full House. These Kdramas are definition of cultural phenoms, which CLOY cannot be due to the conflicting state between SK and NK and it's okay. Because of the conflict, SK cannot ride on CLOY at all for tourist sites and etc. Someone also said that CLOY was in top 3 in all streaming platforms in the US. I'd like to clarify that it is not true. Streaming platforms are available all around the world, and one of the list that someone brought up should include all countries around the world.

2. HB and SYJ are already Hallyu stars before CLOY. They are already A-list actors before CLOY. CLOY is not what defines them at all. HB had MLKSS and Secret Garden which was bigger than CLOY both domestically and internationally. SYJ had A Moment to Remember, The Classic which achieved Pan-Asia popularity. CLOY may be what brought them the international attention again after years of focusing on movies, but certainly not the work that define them.

3. Both HB and SYJ are great actors. I don't think just because of the phenomenal chemistry they have in CLOY and TN, it would be hard for them to create chemistry and act well with other actors in other movies/dramas. They have done it in the past and they will do it once again. Moreover, it's not like there are no movies/dramas out there that are not in the romance genre. 

Fans need to stop to push them to be outed publicly. You all should know that's why they don't release the DVD because there are too much to be edited. Just imagine how hard it was for the editing team to edit out the BTS for CLOY. Please just let them date privately in peace. Marriage is something that should not be rushed and I'm sure we all would want them to think about it thoroughly before taking another step.

Hey everyone,

I am an avid CLOY fan here and honestly CLOY reignited my love for K-Stuffs. However, as much as I love CLOY, I think I personally agree (just my personal opinion) with the statements highlighted in red above.

Based on my observation, it seems like DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata have truly reached an iconic status of Korean dramas and their hallyu effects were phenomenal. I actually remember DOTS being really famous, like really famous even in China (I'm not from there but I remember its soaring popularity everywhere). The thing is I am not even a fan of DOTS, I tried watching it given that it's so famous but I gave up after the first episode and this has always made me curious as to why it's so popular.

On the other hand, I really really love CLOY and you have no idea how excited I get whenever someone watches CLOY.  But I personally think that it's popularity is not as huge as DOTS? Which really made me wonder why and why is it not as popular in China given its huge population? Anyone mind enlightening me as to why CLOY's wave is not as huge as DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata?

I would of course be more than happy when CLOY's popularity soars to the extent where it reaches an iconic status. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, blessedchild said:

Based on my observation, it seems like DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata have truly reached an iconic status of Korean dramas and their hallyu effects were phenomenal. I actually remember DOTS being really famous, like really famous even in China (I'm not from there but I remember its soaring popularity everywhere). The thing is I am not even a fan of DOTS, I tried watching it given that it's so famous but I gave up after the first episode and this has always made me curious as to why it's so popular.

On the other hand, I really really love CLOY and you have no idea how excited I get whenever someone watches CLOY.  But I personally think that it's popularity is not as huge as DOTS? Which really made me wonder why and why is it not as popular in China given its huge population? Anyone mind enlightening me as to why CLOY's wave is not as huge as DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata?

I would of course be more than happy when CLOY's popularity soars to the extent where it reaches an iconic status. 

I know right? That's what I'm trying to say but I think people here probably think I'm an anti or something when I'm just stating my observations based on my experiences first-hand. I'm aware that many people in this thread are new that's why they think that CLOY is bigger than those K-dramas when it's not. I don't even like other K-dramas mentioned above that much beside DJG and MLFTS. I actually find DOTS and BOF really lame and I couldn't even finish those dramas. I actually like CLOY the most out of these K-dramas but people here seem unwilling to listen to observations from people who experienced and witnessed how big those K-dramas were first-hand. 

About why DOTS were bigger than CLOY, I think it's because DOTS had a lot of cheese which was why it attracted a wider audience than CLOY. Both DOTS and MLFTS attracted a huge young audience which CLOY can't reach as much because CLOY is simply a much more mature drama in comparison. DJG and Winter Sonata are another level. Dramas today still fail to catch up to these two and I don't really know how to capture them in words why they were that huge. Also, I think it should be noted that the SK-NK premise is a huge hindrance for CLOY to become bigger. Other popular k-dramas don't have this premise which is why we could see their effects on SK economy. Moreover, CLOY is unlucky to have a lot of odds against it such as coronavirus and with dramas like TWOTM that is already bigger in SK than CLOY just two months later, which minimizes CLOY's effect.

2 hours ago, binniejinniecultivator said:

I guess I have to say it again, your opinion, my opinion, whoever's opinion, on what is the "best K-drama ever" are all just opinions, NOT facts. So, saying that "CLOY are bigger than some of those dramas is just simply wrong..." is simply an opinion too. We all have opinions, if those websites, articles, magazines, etc. say that CLOY is the biggest K-drama, that is their opinion too but they have higher/wider platforms to share it with. But to ME, CLOY is soooo successful for this K-drama generation that it not just showed its "superbness" but also re-introduced some new international viewers to other K-dramas. Netflix is a big factor and all the right things that CLOY did. (no need to expound on this one)

Ma'am I'm just arguing against the point that the other user made about how CLOY is bigger than those K-dramas. I didn't mean any harm. Why would you go off-topic by saying that xx like CLOY better than another K-drama. That has nothing to do with how big some other K-dramas are. People have to be aware that just because a drama surpassed another drama in terms of VOD streaming, it doesn't mean it's bigger. Streaming is becoming mainstream, of course the numbers are going to be bigger as time goes by because more people using the platform. Goblin surpassed DOTS in terms of streaming too, but do you dare to say that Goblin was bigger than DOTS? You can go ask anyone who witnessed these first-hand and they would say no. DOTS still remains more iconic than both Goblin and CLOY until today. As someone who witnessed the hype of all these dramas first-hand, I just find it ridiculous to see someone saying that CLOY is biggest K-drama. If you guys can't handle this cold hard truth then ok. I know that many of you are new so I'm trying to at least tell you some history but if you are all so against me saying that, then I'm going to stop.

I do apologize again to everyone for discussing this topic in BinJin shipping thread. I'm aware that it's quite off-topic. @mods if you find my posts to be off-topic and rude in any way, please feel free to delete them :) This is my last post here in this thread. Happy shipping everyone. Please do so responsibly while you're at it as well because I can tell you that I've seen obsessive behaviors have led to most celebrity couples break ups in the past. I'm just going to ship them quietly on my own. Peace. 

• Like 4

Hello darlings!

I have been away, assimilated with real life (in a way), got back to my daily routine (albeit different given the restrictions), and watched other series as well. Went to read other drama threads today and thought I should say hi here, too!

What I learnt after watching other series and all are that one: Koreans love family drama / makjang / adultery drama (just look at how big The World of the Married is right now - as angsty as I am over the storyline but I ended up watching it anyway) and romcom is not everyone’s cuppa tea; and two: there are more variety of roles for senior actors nowadays (eg again, Married and also Hospital Playlist - 5 main characters are supposedly 40 years old and two of the leads are actually 40). So as much as chances for either HB or YJ to get as much roles to be played which suits their age now are low compared to say, when they were younger but with better writing from the writers nowadays I would say that there may be chances for them to get good roles next. I would want to see YJ playing something else which is not her usual forte ie melodrama, and HB more on action. Heck, if he plays a spy like James Bond I will watch too lol.

I would not get into the awards discussion because it’s getting old and it’s in the past - and as much as even I wonder why YJ is so quiet nowadays, realistically speaking, there may be few factors. As simple as she might have planned to travel at this juncture since it is spring time (even I do plan my travels in spring) but it all got halted due to Covid. Also, she might have to consider the roles she will play next: would it differ than those she usually takes on? Will those be challenging enough for her as an actress? And movie schedules are also halted due to Covid so it might not be materialized, if at all there are offers. Realistically speaking, that’s how I see it. Now is a good time for her to actually assess where her career is going now, and to chart what would her plan be next. Be it career or personal. There may be other factors as well, but I would rather not speculate anything because well, I’ll save that thoughts for fan fictions Hahahaha (I don’t even write one!). It’s her life after all, and she’s approaching 40 soon. It’ll be a different ballgame for actresses by that time.

I’m not worried too much for HB career-wise as the CFs and movie is still ongoing, and I have a feel he might consider more roles in action / drama genre in movies, with different set of characters. I like his thought process on the roles he take and how he will do it differently each time. 

To me, CLOY benefited from having it streamed on Netflix and it is seen all around the world :) Awards or not, being recognized for the drama is a big achievement, and to have their names and characters being loved so much across the world is oh-so-rewarding already as actors. Am just thankful that it’s a good drama for them both to wrap up their 30s. I agree in a way that it’s not completely Hallyu level somewhat but it certainly is buzzing very loudly!!!

As for ahem, personal things... I just wish them all the best. Being away makes me see things better and in the end, it takes two to tango, two to fall in love and two to take the next steps. Can’t be only one (and we don’t even know who what where how why lol hahahahaha). They have been blessed so much in this life thus far, and if there are more in store for them both together, may God and other deities bless them. At least I have to give it to them - both are naturally good looking, and if at all they got married and have a child, he/she will be gorgeous (her eyes and his dimples? Wow).

Will be away (again!) but some parting words (for now), ship them responsibly ok. Don’t hit the fourth wall, don’t impose whatever timeline in the minds on these two, and just let things happen naturally and organically somehow. Pray for them if that’s your thing - like saying 10 good things to a plant kinda thing (ok I can’t plant anything but you’ll get the drift ok?).

To all of you, happy shopping!

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I am new to this forum but may I take a chance to remind other users what shipping is about: 

Shipping, initially derived from the word relationship, is the desire by fans for two or more people, either real-life people or fictional characters (in film, literature, television etc.) to be in a romantic relationship.

to ship, to support or have a particular interest in a romantic pairing between two characters in a fictional series.

and this is a shipping forum!!!!!

It is our place to cheer for them, to share little moments of joy during their interactions and our insights about why they make the perfect couple. Even if our ship was groundless, it is in our right to still ship them. But we have prove of how close their are in real life we have prove of how much they appreciate and admire each other and most importantly how they have been responsible of the oposite person’s smiles and laughs. What  we mostly want is for them to be happy. 

With that said, I would appreciate if non shippers keep their opinions to themselves and rather not post in here. In this times of uncertainties ( regarding our health and safety with this pandemic going on) this forum has been our little escape paradise. And I don’t expect to find negativity even here. I do go against those fans who tag syj or v*st on social media but I don’t see why our forum should be a concern to some of you. 

We in here have whiteness their strong chemistry and if their love comes true to me it would be a proof that love and soulmates do exist.

Please do not post negative thoughts in here or unrelated post for other dramas or actors.  Ps. I would appreciate if these unrelated posts were deleted.

We are here to cheer for our binjin couple and for their success only!!!

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, blessedchild said:

But I personally think that it's popularity is not as huge as DOTS? Which really made me wonder why and why is it not as popular in China given its huge population? Anyone mind enlightening me as to why CLOY's wave is not as huge as DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata?

Lol I also agree with OP about CLOY's status among actually iconic dramas. I think people are being a little blinded by either how much they love HB, SYJ, or elements of the drama. The other dramas were mentioned in korean media for MONTHS, no, YEARS, after they finished airing. Keep in mind the world is in a lockdown right now  and sites like Netflix and news sources are leaping at the chance to promote shows and other things to help you pass the time. While CLOY is one of my favorite dramas, even more so than these iconic dramas, it did not have the same "phenomenon" they did.

1. Unfortunately because the issues South Korea and the rest of the world have with North Korea, likely prevented the show from being more popular. (Political issues, SK is immediately affected by anything NK does)

2. Unlikely to be recreated by other countries because they arent sharing a border with a communist country. DOTS had a huge impact because the plot was easy to relate to or imagine as nearly every country has a military.

3. Its almost May and while ratings wise the show did very well, it is getting close to being upstaged or already surpassed (by that show about marriage and spouses cheating? I dont remember the name because the genre doesn't interest me; IC was on its way to passing it if the plot didnt derail halfway).

4. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, disagree with calling CLOY a cultural phenomenon. I actually think this label is borderline insulting. North Korea is NOT South Korea and could you imagine telling a SK that a show about the love between a NK soldier and a SK chaebol is a cultural phenomenon? Youd either get laughed or sneered at. SK has different views regarding NK than the rest of the world.

5. To be a cultural phenomenon, the show would need to have some impact on the korean public, for example after DOTS there was a surge in enlistment 

6. It was aired on a cable network. Not everyone has Netflix either. Not everyone cares enough to put in the effort in finding pirated versions.  (I only know that DOTS was on a public network)

Honestly this discussion probably belongs in the CLOY thread and while I do love CLOY and am still having a hard time moving on from the romantic plot, theres no way the impact is on the same level as other dramas. That would be like thinking wwwsk is the best office romance ever made.  

Heres a cute photo thats been shared before but it makes me happy so Im posting it again.

[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착 - Page 405 - k-dramas & movies - Soompi Forums