[OFFICIAL] Hyun Bin ❤️ Son Ye Jin (BinJin Couple)

cybertron

Thursday

September 29, 2022

Musical adaptation of 'Crash Landing On You' will have fans hearkening back to series

Actors Lee Kyu-hyung, left, and Kim Ryeo-won as Ri Jeong-hyuk and Yoon Se-ri during a scene of the musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

Actors Lee Kyu-hyung, left, and Kim Ryeo-won as Ri Jeong-hyuk and Yoon Se-ri during a scene of the musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

For every screen-to-stage adaptation, a question follows: Is it just an aspiring profitable venture hoping to reap off the benefits of the original or is there real value in the remake?  

The musical adaptation of smash hit tvN K-drama “Crash Landing On You” (2019-20) is the former, but to its credit, confidently so.  

The three-hour show manages to pack the entire 16-part series, almost exactly following the narrative of the drama series which is about a South Korean chaebol heiress Yoon Se-ri, played by actor Son Ye-jin, and a North Korean military officer Ri Jeong-hyuk, portrayed by Hyun Bin, who fall in love after the heiress accidentally lands in North Korea while paragliding.  

• rep_superstar.png.4df01425fbaf42a80f5366

Thursday

September 29, 2022

Musical adaptation of 'Crash Landing On You' will have fans hearkening back to series

For every screen-to-stage adaptation, a question follows: Is it just an aspiring profitable venture hoping to reap off the benefits of the original or is there real value in the remake?  

The musical adaptation of smash hit tvN K-drama “Crash Landing On You” (2019-20) is the former, but to its credit, confidently so.  

The three-hour show manages to pack the entire 16-part series, almost exactly following the narrative of the drama series which is about a South Korean chaebol heiress Yoon Se-ri, played by actor Son Ye-jin, and a North Korean military officer Ri Jeong-hyuk, portrayed by Hyun Bin, who fall in love after the heiress accidentally lands in North Korea while paragliding.  

Actor Son Ye-jin, left, and Hyun Bin as their characters Yoon Se-ri and Ri Jeong-hyuk in the tvN drama series ″Crash Landing On You″ [TVN]

Actor Son Ye-jin, left, and Hyun Bin as their characters Yoon Se-ri and Ri Jeong-hyuk in the tvN drama series ″Crash Landing On You″ [TVN]

Actors Lee Kyu-hyung, right, and Kim Ryeo-won as Ri Jeong-hyuk and Yoon Se-ri during a scene of the musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

Actors Lee Kyu-hyung, right, and Kim Ryeo-won as Ri Jeong-hyuk and Yoon Se-ri during a scene of the musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

The musical is so eager to get to its romantic duets and elaborate fight scenes that everything else building up to these moments is decidedly fast forwarded.  

Also, much of the background of the characters and their intricate relationships aren’t explained enough and audiences are left to trace their memories back to two years ago when they watched the drama to figure out what is going on in the musical.  

It is a show for those who have watched the drama “Crash Landing On You,” which, to the credit of producers and creatives, is probably the majority of the people who chose to watch the musical anyway.

Spoiler

A scene from a performance of the ongoing musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

A scene from a performance of the ongoing musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

The musical has an ambitious and visually-appealing cast, many of whom have proved their talent on screen as well, such as actor Lee Jang-woo from drama series “Glory Jane, I Do, I Do” (2011), “My Only One” (2018) and “Homemade Love Story” (2020), and Lee Yi-kyung from dramas “Descendants of the Sun” (2016) and “Welcome to Waikiki” (2018).

The show contains 22 tuneful, pop-inflected numbers. All but one was newly written for the show.

Female duo Davichi’s “Sunset” which was part of the drama series’ soundtrack is sung in the second act by Seo Dan, a North Korean heiress, and Gu Seung-joon, a conman who falls in love with Seo Dan.  

Spoiler

Actors Song Ju-hee, left, and Lee Yi-kyung as Seo Dan and Gu Seung-joon during a scene of the ongoing musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

Actors Song Ju-hee, left, and Lee Yi-kyung as Seo Dan and Gu Seung-joon during a scene of the ongoing musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

According to Popmusic and T2N Media, which holds the copyright for the musical “Crash Landing On You” the show is set to open in more countries.  

Earlier this month, the companies signed a contract with Japanese television station Fuji TV which gave the channel the exclusive right to the musical version of “Crash Landing on You.”  

The producer of the Korean show Kim Tae-hyung said in a press release last week that there are also plans to open a version of the musical with the original Korean cast as well as one with a Japanese cast.  

“Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia have also shown interest in obtaining the license,” he added.  

Spoiler

Actors Na Ha-na, left, and Lee Jang-woo as Yoon Se-ri and Ri Jeong-hyuk during a scene of the musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

Actors Na Ha-na, left, and Lee Jang-woo as Yoon Se-ri and Ri Jeong-hyuk during a scene of the musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

“Crash Landing On You” will run through Nov. 13 at the COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul.

Actors Lee Kyu-hyung, Min Woo-hyuk and Lee Jang-woo alternate the role of Ri Jeong-hyuk, and Lim Hye-young, Kim Ryeo-won and Na Ha-na alternate the role of Yoon Se-ri.  

Spoiler

Actor Na Ha-na as Yoon Se-ri during a scene from the ongoing musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [ATOZ ENTERTAINMENT, T2N MEDIA]

Actor Na Ha-na as Yoon Se-ri during a scene from the ongoing musical "Crash Landing On You" at COEX Shinhan Card Artium in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. [ATOZ ENTERTAINMENT, T2N MEDIA]

BY LEE JIAN [lee.jian@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 1

my lovely samsoon thumbnail

Home » The cast of “My Lovely Sam Soon” are all returning with projects in 2022: is Hyun Bin doing the best

The cast of “My Lovely Sam Soon” are all returning with projects in 2022: is Hyun Bin doing the best

phuongminhdo September 29, 2022

From Hyun Bin to Daniel Henney, the cast of “My Lovely Sam Soon” will greet the screen after 17 years with their respective works. 

When it comes to the most legendary K-drama during the 2000s, then the MBC series “My Lovely Sam Soon” is the unrivaled champion. The drama enjoyed great popularity with viewership rating surpassing 49.1%, eventually winning the Grand Prize Daesang at the 2006 Baeksang Arts Awards. 

my lovely sam soon

Now, 17 years after the 1st episode of “My Lovely Sam Soon”, four major cast members have all made their return to the Korean screen. In fact, all of these actors and actresses have since become well-recognized names that have their own leading roles. 

Kim Sun Ah 

Spoiler

kim sun ah

“My Lovely Sam Soon” is Kim Sun Ah’s breakthrough role, seeing that after this series, everyone has heard of the actress’ name.  Across her acting career, the actress earned 2 Grand Prize Daesang, and one of them is thanks to this insanely successful work. Now, in 2022, Kim Sun Ah has returned with the JTBC’s female-centric series “The Empire”. 

Spoiler

kim sun ah

“The Empire” will be aired during the weekends, and is considered a major project of broadcast station JTBC. In this series, Kim Sun Ah transforms into a talented, powerful, and ambitious prosecutor, and promises a stunning performance. While the series did not start with high viewership ratings compared to other competitors, it is held in high regard by viewers, raising expectations for future performance. 

Spoiler

kim sun ah

Hopefully, Kim Sun Ah will be able to repeat the glory she once brought to JTBC via the 2017 drama “The Lady in Dignity”. 

Hyun Bin & Daniel Henney 

hyun bin daniel henney

Hyun Bin, who played the male lead in “My Lovely Sam Soon”, and Daniel Henney, who played the second male lead, have recently reunited in the cinematic project “Confidential Assignment 2: International”. Unlike in “My Lovely Sam Soon”, however, they are partners who collaborate to catch a highly wanted criminal. While Daniel Henney has less screen time than Hyun Bin in “Confidential Assignment 2: International”, the two’s chemistry is still impressive, and both boasts strong images with their masculine and alluring visuals. 

confidential assignment 2

17 years ago, “My Lovely Samsoon” was a hit on the small screen, and 17 years later, Hyun Bin and Daniel Henney once again teamed up in a successful work. This time, it is “Confidential Assignment 2: International” on the big screen. Currently, “Confidential Assignment 2: International” has earned more than 40,558 million USD in ticket sales with about 5.61 million admissions. It has become the 3rd best-selling movie this year in Korean cinemas.

Spoiler

confidential assignment 2

Jung Ryeo Won

Spoiler

jung ryeo won

Joining the trend of legal K-dramas in 2022, Jung Ryeo Won, who played the second female lead in “My Lovely Samsoon”, is appearing in Disney+ new series “May It Please The Court” as the main character. Jung Ryeo Won plays an attorney with a high rate of winning at a top law firm. She is set to make partner, but due to an issue that arose in one of her cases, she ends up working as a public defender. 

Spoiler

jung ryeo won

jung ryeo won

In addition to “May It Please The Court”, this year, Jung Ryeo Won also starred in the movie “Woman In A White Car” which premiered at the 2022 Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival. It has been a productive year so far for the 41-year-old actress. 

Source: dienanh

• Like 1