[Weekend Event] Earn 2x Soompi Points
Update #9 is being installed. Service disruptions are expected. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The final got the highest ratings the show ever got. 

“Tell Me What You Saw” Finale Achieves Its Highest Ratings Yet; “Beautiful Love Wonderful Life” Ends Strong

Mar 23, 2020
by E. Cha

OCN’s “Tell Me What You Saw” and KBS 2TV’s “Beautiful Love Wonderful Life” both ended on a high note last night!

On March 22, “Tell Me What You Saw” soared to a new all-time ratings high for its final episode. According to Nielsen Korea, the series finale of the mystery thriller scored an average nationwide rating of 4.4 percent and a peak of 5.0 percent, marking a personal best for the drama.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1389805wpp/tell-me-what-you-saw-finale-achieves-its-highest-ratings-yet-beautiful-love-wonderful-life-ends-strong

• Like 9

wow so connection is the story of frog & scorpion :joy:

15849240521584924049.gif

I need to stop assuming connection is all children favourite villain :D

Spoiler

ezgif-2-a694d184554c.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

@nona88 My understanding of the terms psychopath Vs sociopath is very different but, since not even experts agree entirely on this, I won’t dwell on that :P

I do agree that KYH was “born like that” and was raised the wrong way, therefore, at this point has no redemption (imo) 

OHJ might lack empathy but he can still make “good” choices. We don’t know why he is like this but I guess at the end of the day what matters are his choices and not his condition

• Like 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

:joy: Oppa is so cheeky 

Hihi just happy to be in isolation because like you said OHJ hates people.  Model citizen for social distancing.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Oh please give me season 2 with more OHJ backstory and CSY interaction/development.  OHJ reminded me of JH's character in Beautiful Mind.  JH is amazing as usual, easily my fav K-actor.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

let see if any of the major questions was answered or not  and  i will answer each one as much as we get or understand 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:22 AM, nona88 said:

1. When , how and why the oppa killer  meet CSY and what was his plan from the start for her, and did he send her to OHJ on purpose

Spoiler

okay he did meet her in the work but he was already know who she is , we didn't get that answer in direct way but  i think they already assumed that we understand that ( he maybe find out later too about her, he has major control problem so sure try to know everything about people around him so he get close to hear after finding out  ) but if he send her to OHJ on purpose  i guess we can assume that he did 

but what she mean to him is still mystery to me you see in his talk with OHJ he said  conflicting things in the same  Sentence he was admiring her  so proudly and but in the same time he said he will kill her next !!!!!!!!!!!

so what was that ?????? he did send her to OHJ to make him grow her ability and maybe cause he want her to find about her mother and  his father and how it all start  but did  he was planing to kill her from the start or just cause now everything out and  he can't keep her beside him so killing her is the right choice ( i can't enjoy you so you like others has no value )

did KYH was raising CSY as his next main enemy from the start to take over OHJ place in his game or he did enjoy the acting of being part of her family and having someone like CSY who different in his life but now  he has to kill her since it all destroyed ???

that will be unanswered and more left to our different views of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

that what it was not clear what he said in the same Sentence  ( i will take all your different views of it my friends no answer is the only right one since the drama made it not clear by choice  )

3. How the accident  happened  5 years ago and how OHJ and team leader know where he and isu  were ?? 

Spoiler

okay that not answered in direct way  too we know how ISU was holding on not giving a name as the guy said since she was so sure OHJ will save her  ( that mean he held her and try with her too ) so the accident happen not in the same day he took her but  later

so we can assume from the hints of ep 15-16  that the accident  was planned and there was a bomb he didn't get a name out of ISU but he want to test OHJ in other way or what more he want to make ISU say with her eyes that she shouldn't trust OHJ just how he did to team leader when she refuse to give name he want to teach her a lesson so he stage her running and being betrayed by the other woman 

KYH  has problem and always want to prove that there no trust and people will betrayed in the end 

so i think the accident 5 years ago was to prove that to ISU who refused giving a name was wrong  

he just test it or ISU betrayed OHJ or him betrayed her and in the guy mind OHJ did that so  he win the game he didn't need to kill or hunt him anymore he win over him and destroy him and show him that he no different   

that the only logic answers i can go with with the little information they was giving to us and from understanding each characters

4. Why the oppa killer was targeting  OHJ from the start even before the interview ( I am more with the theory  that he meet him at one of crime scenes I wrote long post about what may made him interesting in him ) but I need the drama answer  not my imagination theories  

that was the only direct  answer we get from the drama :joy:

Spoiler

OHJ meeting the little KYH before he even killed the little girl  as OHJ was giving a speech in school what the  profiler is his early day as police officer  ( they do that in Korean sending a  police officer to make good view of police work  in schools and citizen  eyes)

he speech about understanding the killers mind and think like them and KYH who properly was  already struggling with his natural and different get OHJ answer in the wrong way , okay OHJ speech was not fitting so much even with the story he told to make the children's understand he still talked so much  honestly  and wrong then he should in front of kids  but it OHJ he wasn't normal too

and that show that OHJ really was thinking from  the past that people is who really are and he couldn't understand killer motive just  know and  figuring it out  ( he did learn in hard way that people can change and i like how CSY talk in  that scene was a teaching lesson to him and was a direct disagree for what he said to kyh in that day, she was right and he and KYH was wrong she made him understand that  )

okay back to main point  OHJ saying that it the killer natural  to kill or harm as answer and that you don't have to try to understand their reason to kill  made KYH think that it  has no point to fight his natural or try to understand why he want to kill so he take OHJ as the reason to make him get where he is 

his  game all  was about what OHJ said back then about people acting as their natural instinct he want to prove  that  all people have  natural instinct to kill when time come 

5.why team leader  Choice  isu name ? Even if she know that what killer  want how she understand  that?? Even OHJ back then didn't know that they had to choice  the death  of someone close to them not anyone 

okay that don't need spoiler she just understand what KYH want and give him to survive  :unamused: that the answer they give to us

and side note the story that OHJ said to the young KYH  it was read to me  as kid too ( it known story to people around me too  )  it  not bad one but it have different meaning i think and connect to   who hear it  and how he understand it, when i asked my parent about what it mean and  if t the frog shouldn't help him from the start, they told me that some people are bad and all i need to learn from this story to be careful not to full trust people since some can hide their bad when they need you and show it when they don't , i should never lose faith in people but i should be smart and careful , the frog wasn't wrong he did good thing  but even good doing sometime don't  bring good result and that what i should learn  

OHJ and kyh both misunderstand that story from my view and as i  said it different since different people view it but

i grow up still believing in good in people and that there always a chance to choice to be good but i learn to understand that life isn't just good and bad  results  from that story and from so many others stories i was told or read by myself  ( i even read dark ones most of the time ) the story not at fault it how you understand and view what make the different 

• Like 4

‘Tell Me What You Saw’ Jang Hyuk's closing remarks, "Hard Work, there are many regrets remaining"

202003231041107365_img_00.jpg

Actor Jang Hyuk delivered his final greeting to viewers along with the end of OCN's original drama ‘Tell Me What You Saw’

In OCN's original drama ‘Tell Me What You Saw’ which ended on  22nd March, Jang plays "Oh Hyun-jae," a genius profiler chasing after the culprit in the incident in which he lost his fiancee five years ago. Playing a character with a twist, he was praised for his delicate acting skills that portrayed the inner conflict between hidden truths, punishment and revenge.

Along with the ending of the drama, Jang Hyuk delivered his thoughts on the drama.

Regarding the use of detailed props such as gloves and sunglasses, he said, "They were all props used to hide the character Oh Hyun-jae," adding that sunglasses and wheelchairs were used as tools to hide Oh's physical condition in the beginning.

He also said, "Afterwards, I continue to wear sunglasses because as Oh Hyun-jae was analyzing and profiling other people's psychology, there were things that he wanted to hide from others. The gloves were used in order not to leave a trace of him meeting The Guy," he said, explaining why he used the props.

As for the part where he sat in a wheelchair in the beginning of the drama, he said "There were many parts that I could show better in a static shot, such as eyes and facial expressions, and I think it helped. He continued, "Since I started moving from episode 6,  I think the beginning part had been much more comfortable” showing a humorous look. 

What is the most memorable scene in Jang Hyuk's ‘Tell Me What You Saw’?

He chose the 'Kim Na-hee case' and said, “A woman who was eroded because of the pain and hurt caused by her child’s death, kidnapped another child, and she pretended to be unaware of her child’s death even though she knew it. The scene seems to show the pain of Oh Hyun, and it is the most memorable."

On the death of detective Yang (Ryu Seung-soo), which had the biggest impact on the characters in the drama, he said, "It was a situation that Oh didn't expect. The two didn't have many interactions, but I think he was sad when he saw the flowers on Yang's desk," he said. "I also saw from the viewers’ point and felt sorry to see the pictures of Yang's family and collegues.” 

As for the ending of the drama, Oh expressed his willingness to come out of the world with the will to live, and I think I would have thought the same way," he said, showing empathy for the choice of the character in the drama.

Lastly, Jang said, "I think it was a difficult piece of work. On one hand it had been refreshing, but on the other hand, I feel a bit regretful that I could have done better," he said. "I will be grateful if you can remember this as a hard work put in by many actors and production staff. I will study harder for my next work and greet you with a more improved and better look," he said, not forgetting to thank viewers.

https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/0117_202003231041107365

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ahhhh it's over~~! I'm very satisfied with the finale. :) Spoilery comments below:

The trick Hyun Jae pulled on Dong Sik mirrored his trick to Su Young when she made her assumption about his condition. It was not appropriate during the serious & violent scene, but I was laughing out loud when he did it. It was fantastic. 

Most of the time, the 'good guy' in a drama makes threats against the bad guys as part of their revenge mission, but they never actually follow through. So it was riveting and believable to see Hyun Jae act on his words. It was a brutal scene. However, it wasn't out of character.

It cracked me up that Su Young acted like Team Leader Hwang in one moment and then right after she acted like Hyun Jae when she was climbing up the wall. :lol:

The will to fight against the wickedness that Su Young spoke about applied to Ha Young as well as Hyun Jae. She survived and will strive to live a good life. I was honestly relieved that she resigned. I'm glad the writer did not make her character die as if her death was some sort of payment for Man Su's death.

I can't believe they ended the show with one of my favorite scenes.

It was a notable moment where Hyun Jae acknowledged Su Young.

It made me chuckle to see Tae Sung's frizzy hair all smooth and slick ~1 year later. :P 

It was great to see the BTS clips in the end too. The cast looked like they had a lot of fun. ^^

• Like 9
  • Love 1

@Prettysup I love Jang Hyuk’s favorite scene. It’s one of my favorites too. 

And waiiiittttt! Now that I watched with subs I have the same question @nona88 had 

Spoiler

Was he faking blindness again? But really? Did they give us the flashbacks of him being hit in the head and Dr Ahn telling him not to overexert himself just to deceive the audience too? Argghh see? That bothers me! Why the need to risk so much? He missed his shot various times and got cut, and it was all pretend? 

Also, in his closing remarks JH said that OHJ chose to live but

Spoiler

when he said “There is someone I need to meet” and put his ring back, I thought he was on his way to commit suicide :( (I know a year later we see Sooyoung seeing the mic light up and smile so I choose to believe he didn’t) 

• Like 6

Question about the last 2 episodes. Why did Dong Shik want to take Sa Gang the split personality guy?  That part did not make sense to me.

And did Sa Gang die? It seemed that team leader Hwang killed him, but i wasnt sure since everything was happening so fast.

And did Hwang resign from the police? Who is the new team leader?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Prettysup I love Jang Hyuk’s favorite scene. It’s one of my favorites too. 

And waiiiittttt! Now that I watched with subs I have the same question @nona88 had 

Hide contents

Was he faking blindness again? But really? Did they give us the flashbacks of him being hit in the head and Dr Ahn telling him not to overexert himself just to deceive the audience too? Argghh see? That bothers me! Why the need to risk so much? He missed his shot various times and got cut, and it was all pretend? 

Hide contents

when he said “There is someone I need to meet” and put his ring back, I thought he was on his way to commit suicide :( (I know a year later we see Sooyoung seeing the mic light up and smile so I choose to believe he didn’t) 

Okay maybe my decision  answer help you ( what I decided  to see and understand) 

Spoiler

Okay I will think he did feel a litte  dizziness and couldnt see well in the start and remember the doctor  saying and his eyes go a little cloudy  ( and it normal affect after getting that big hit in the head) that wasnt act but it was passes  and not really going blinding 

I will believe  that he didnt act at start but what he said to kyh  that he assumed  he going blind but he didn't ( I will believe  in that explanation to rest my mind of thinking what happen and why they need to trick us too with flashback )  but he continues to act as he couldnt see  cause OHJ want kyh  to taste his own killing methods  when he give the victims hope to run or survive  and then destroy  it 

That what I choice to believe  

And I didnt think he was going commit  a suicide when he said that it was the moment  he decide  to live he said  that there someone  he need to go visit now as sign  that he going to visit  his fiancee  grave he wasnt planning  to do that ever but now that he decided  to live he has to do it , for me it was sign that he really free now he has the courage to face her death and face her  and let her know his decision  since I think he didn't  want her to see him what he was before  but now it change 

It was for me   like "ah and now I have to visit  and  tell her that she can be free  now that I am letting  her go" just like he did said to the woman in kid kidnapping case it time to let him be free 

And jh  interview  make you sure that he decided  to live in that moment  not to die 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

237-C8343-8-F83-44-C6-AEA0-7863-BF7-A7-B
Writing this post-watching the finale. :) 

Ps..This is my ending letter too~

Inner Meaning of this series

Spoiler

Post watching made me realised the true meaning of this series which have been implemented throughout the series and that is the word ‘Instinct’. Everything is about human nature and their instinct, it made them who they are. That’s why some people would blame or hide things from others. That is instinct. They do things to make sure they are save. The title ‘Tell Me What You Saw’  the idea of this title which I believe, what it means...It’s that being honest can lead to greater things and sometimes you shouldn’t use your own instinct to figure things out. You should ask someone to help and share the burden together rather than just putting it on yourself. As like what the OST Part 2. This game, states, tell me now I will get you out. 

Round up: Don’t act upon your instinct. Ask people for help :D

Story

Spoiler

Personally, it had a very interesting start, in which it heavily emphasise on CSY and her photogenic ability, with the help of OHJ they managed to find and save people who are in need. Gradually, it shifts it’s pacing to the bigger case for this series, this is when I start to feel that CSY’s ability have sort of shifted to the back and no longer I feel the importance of her and her ability..pretty much forgetting about her ability from time to time. Had they use it more and not just hype it at the beginning and leave it in the dust after, I feel that it would work very well and the title can be more meaningful as it is.

There is a timeline wardrobe mishap that sort of stuck with me throughout...We understand that years ago, OHJ went to the elementary school to teach students on profiling, his wardrobe looks the same as of what he is wearing currently. Meanwhile, we look at the timeline, 5 years ago, his hairstyle have changed. So..shouldn’t his hairstyle when he was in the elementary change? Or at least be a bit younger looking? It bugged me a lot when I was watching it...but let’s close one eye..

I don’t really have loads of disagreeing opinions...I understand that this series is all about instinct and human nature..I forgive the idea of KYH as a child hearing from OHJ as being the main reason for KYH’s obsession to kill. If you were to ask me, with this being the main motive, to me is relatively weak, I would want a stronger bond because this being the motive doesn’t feel fulfilling...it doesn’t feel justified for KYH’s character to just kill because OHJ state that it’s all about instinct...it’s not that good of a payout. 

Okay..Now..OHJ blindness..I think this was how it works. ( @dramafan33 you said this once. You are right.) I would like to believe now that in the beginning, the 5 years gab, he is indeed blind and he gradually recovered. That 5 years was his healing time, he is just saying that he lied to Hwang because he doesn’t want the the guy or the rest to know that he was indeed hurt. With the hit of the extinguisher, his injuries appear again. He is going blind again.  As to him saying that he needs to meet someone..it’s either he is going to meet Isu’s grave or the doctor once again. Of cause..Tmwys...that word Saw..that’s why he lost his sight.

Characters 

OHJ

Spoiler

AD4-BC38-A-1247-4712-A6-EE-491-D8503620-
OHJ is a very interesting character for me, it brings new life even though it doesn’t feel like it. In between the idea of pain and loneliness brings out OHJ’s character. This man helps to provide the vide for this series, his heaviness can be felt throughout the series. What I enjoy about him is that he is someone that allows me to take my time to try to figure out..Just what is he thinking..He is a good example of an unpredictable person. Which is a nice and new feeling that we don’t get to see in tv series...it’s calming. I don’t feel like I should be angry at him for his actions...I only feel like I should pity him for how he seclude himself..Had he show too much of emotions, I think this character will not be as impactful as he is now.

CSY

Spoiler

7-A3-D589-C-91-F7-46-DB-93-D2-0-D442-DAB
From the beginning, I know she is the perfect representation of growth. This character understands and learns, like what OHJ said. CSY is a great character to be a cop. She has what it takes, but of cause there is always a dependency with OHJ. It is great to see that CSY have changed in a way whereby she believes in herself and that she can finally work without OHJ helping her much. The way she ordered the people of her team, shows the significant changes she had made and how OHJ have taught her well on how to be a cop. She might even be a profiler in the future.

HHY

Spoiler

8-E192-CE0-06-A0-4848-AE64-89-A865-B5-CC
HHY to me...She is also sort of a pitiful woman who cries and drown in her own sorrow and she is trying to hide it from the rest and even herself. It is only when the harsh truth strikes that is when she learns. I was relatively happy that she finally learnt how to rely on people. Her actions at the end proves to me that she is finally freed from her demons. A great change to a pitiful woman.

Sigh..This series had ended and as I was watching this I thought of a nice ending and I want to share it to everyone..almost like a fanfic. Haha

Spoiler

Years after, as CSY got done chasing the murderer and successfully arrested them. She exits the place and walks down the open road..as she mindlessly walks..she sees a man about the same size as OHJ. Though OHJ have been missing for years, she thought that she finally found him! She looks at the guy and realised that, it’s not him...she apologise and watch as the guy leaves. She sighs... “Hey” a voice broke her setback. She turns around and sees OHJ, wearing much more brighter clothing and a change of his hairstyle. (Shorter) he looks at CSY. They smile...

-end-:wub:

Anyways..Thank you to all who are here throughout the viewing journey. I love y’all ~ Thank you for making my journey a good one~ Cheers~

• Like 2
  • Love 6

@Sushimi Thank you! I loved all your conclusions. Especially what you said about OHJ not showing feelings. How that was in a way, the “strength” of the character. I think I’ve slowly come to accept that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I saw this gif:

%EB%B6%88%EC%AC%90%EC%96%B4%EC%A3%BC%EA%B8%B0.gif?type=w1200

And then I remember that JH did the same 10 years before in Chuno- 

3to4cu.gif

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Hide contents

I thought so initially too, but he looked too happy for that haha. And I don't think the writers will write a protagonist kill himself in a story. I got the impression he was going to visit team leader Hwang in the hospital.

3 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

Question about the last 2 episodes. Why did Dong Shik want to take Sa Gang the split personality guy?  That part did not make sense to me.

And did Sa Gang die? It seemed that team leader Hwang killed him, but i wasnt sure since everything was happening so fast.

And did Hwang resign from the police? Who is the new team leader?

He likes to manipulate vulnerable people I guess. And I dont think Sa Gang died, team leader just held him in a chokehold, not enough to kill him, u need 4 mins for that remember ?

And I am also not sure whether Hwang resigned? But we saw Detective Jang leading the team one year later (in a new hairdo).

Tell_Me_What_You_Saw-Shin_Soo-Ho.jpg

• Like 5