[Drama 2020] Tell Me What You Saw, 본대로 말하라

Prettysup

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

@The Reel Life(You read chinese right?) I just re watched episode 2 with chinese subtitle. I just wanted to see if the subtitles matches.

At almost the end, when OHJ wanted to end the conversation with SY, SY asked why he helped her. The english subtitle said " I felt bad for you & for myself " Frankly, at that time I still feel OHJ is very arrogant the way he says that he felt bad. Like didn't feel bad at all....

But the chinese subtitle said "觉得可怜,我也可怜". Somehow makes me want to give OHJ a hug. :DFeel sorry for him. He must be in so much remorse/sadness when he said 我也可怜。

And I didn't feel goosebumps when Isu boarded the taxi & the taxi driver asked her (english subtitle) "are you on your way to meet someone". It sounded alright to me but I felt goosebumps when (chinese subtitle) 要去见谁吗?:blink:Sounds creepy to me. I can just imagine Isu fear. 

I heard someone opine before that mandarin is a language that can convey a lot of emotions and is very nuanced. The words used can evoke feelings, and one has many expressions to choose from whether it’s a softer language or a harsher language. whereas with English it’s quite straightforward and flatter in expression. It’s more vocab driven. Haha. 

55 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

But now you are killing me with curiosity! What is the difference with the chinese subtitles? 

When asked by SooYoung why he helped her, the mandarin translation says. “I felt pity (for you), and I’m pitiful too”. Pity is the closest translation to the mandarin subtitle. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

30 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Wow I just gotta say how observant you are! Esp the fingers, never noticed it. Is it really the journalist at the conference? Or is the person someone else totally different also hired assassin by The Guy to cover his tracks? 

First, thanks a lot for the compliment!

To me, it looks like the young journalist. But the question is now: is he an accomplice of KSH or is he The Guy, the serial killer? 

Then I would like to add that since The Guy survived the explosion, it looks like the serial killer is not working on his own. The prosecutor mentioned "conspiracy" and due to other insinuations, I am inclined to believe that The Guy did receive help among the police forces. Let us not forget that he knew where KSH was detained, which locker he had to use in order to dress as police officer... His behavior showed that he knew where the CCTV were. Furthermore, the detective from RUI 1 had stomachache and this is not a coincidence. It was as if someone had put something in his coffee or water in order to force him to leave the surveillance room.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

15 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

First, thanks a lot for the compliment!

To me, it looks like the young journalist. But the question is now: is he an accomplice of KSH or is he The Guy, the serial killer? 

@bebebisous33 you really did a cool job of freeze framing even the nails to lay out a theory! Cool!

I feel the leash guy and this journo/cop impersonator - are just copy-cats obsessed with the mythology of The Guy/ candy killer and his nemesis Jang Hyuk, the world-famous profiler. They may or may not even know each other! I think this copy-cat thinks he is just as great as the candy killer and is obsessed with the idea of coming face to face with the legendary profiler and his team, while 'hiding in plain sight'. His voice is also softer and boyish than the voice of the guy in the taxi with fiancee' who I believe is the actual candy killer.

I think that 'chameleon' that Hyuk has as a pet in his floor dungeon is also a clue as to characters in this drama: their ability to change colors / not appearing as they really are or can be: just like Hyuk's abilities or lack of them have not been revealed (his injuries are a guess work, burns, eye sight, physical strength, walking ability etc.) he is hiding like Sherlock Holmes was hiding for Moriarty to show his face / give a clue that he too is alive / back in action. He is waiting (and recuperating while feeling helpless). The Guy/ candy killer is also waiting to see whether Hyuk survived the fiery explosion and where he is. Maybe he got injured too or thinks killing women is no fun if Hyuk is not alive to play with? This is almost like a game of chess between two people who probably think alike / can guess what the other's move will be. The copy-cat is also chameleon-like as in he has found a way into press conference and investigation department just by changing his appearance (wearing press tag, uniform.) SY is also chameleon-like, at first glance appearing as a newbie who lacks confidence and out of her depth, but she transforms into a USP for the RIU when they literally are looking for a needle in a haystack (any clue) and time is running out, the weakest link in the team becoming its strength.

I believe The Guy/ candy killer will not be revealed before Ep.12 and he will be probably the same age as Jang Hyuk, not some baby-faced with justin bieber hair style. Let's just hope he's not the CEO from season 1 of The Voice!!! ;) 

Enjoying all the comments (who knew Jang Hyuk's bad luck / helplessness / non-quick thinking could rile up so much debate!) 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 5

@noor1 I love your comparison to Sherlock-Moriarty! I also hope the real candy killer is not so young! I find your theories very interesting

Do we know much about “The Guy’s” actual M.O? I don’t think the drama has addressed this yet right? All we know is he leaves mints? Does he always kill by strangulation? (Guess not since he also caused a huge explosion) But does he exclusively kill women? Are they all within a certain age range?. 

I also would like to know if OHJ got to see enough of him to narrow things down a bit, like, the guy’s height, age, etc 

I’m also now inclined to believe that none of the guys we have seen are  “The Guy” . Since the case, the killer and the profiler were well known enough that more than one copy cat might get obsessed with it. 

The guy who was talking on TV about the case, is a well known supporting actor (is this the Voice CEO?) so I guess that won’t be his last scene here. 

• Like 5

@noor1 I can return the compliment too!! :) The comparison between Sherlock/Moriarty and OHJ/ The Guy was really point on. This leads me to think that OHJ is aware that the real serial killer is working among the police forces therefore he is hiding from the police as well. This would explain why the team leader is the only one who is in touch with the profiler. 

Furthermore, your observation about the chameleon made me think that The guy must be like a chameleon as well. No one is suspecting him as he has been able to hide his true nature. Besides, his name "The Guy" is also a clue about his own needs and perception. On the one hand, the name underlines his "anonymity" (he is not different from other guys), yet his "normality" makes him look dangerous as he can appear at every corner. The name as such seems to instill fear too.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@noor1 I can return the compliment too!! :) The comparison between Sherlock/Moriarty and OHJ/ The Guy was really point on. This leads me to think that OHJ is aware that the real serial killer is working among the police forces therefore he is hiding from the police as well. This would explain why the team leader is the only one who is in touch with the profiler. 

Furthermore, your observation about the chameleon made me think that The guy must be like a chameleon as well. No one is suspecting him as he has been able to hide his true nature. Besides, his name "The Guy" is also a clue about his own needs and perception. On the one hand, the name underlines his "anonymity" (he is not different from other guys), yet his "normality" makes him look dangerous as he can appear at every corner. The name as such seems to instill fear too.

I agree he aware that the killer has helping in the police force 

The killer sure is danger one , remember  they said before he kidnapped the fiancee  and the accident  he killed many and without leaving a trace , they had nothing about him beside the candy he put inside the victim's mouths as signature   so being a like chameleon is  fit him so much ( i like to see what story they make for him) 

That take me to another point the interview  that OHJ  did and caused all that, he did that in propose I think it was the only way to find more about the killer or stop him since they have nothing about him, he sure didnt think far to understand  that his fiancee  was going to pay the price,

remember  OHJ  character  descriptions " he though that all the criminals in  his hands so he enjoyed playing minds games with them " he was so arrogant  to think he can know the killer way of  thinking and know his next steps that why he  play that game going in the interview  to make him angry 

Or  that what I think happened at least! No matter how far OHJ made mistakes or didnt or did see the killer next move we will know later  .

But after the accident  I think OHJ  realized  that the killer more strong and have  connected to the police  then he thought that why he did  isolated hisself for a while ( okay he needed a time to be cure too ) 

Okay talking about the characters  descriptions  I have wild thoughts  now , the team leader character  said she the one who make scheme and she the one who made one to catch the killer , what they mean scheme  ??? Dont tell me she and OHJ  playing a big show for the killer , that they trying to lure  him out now using another bait ??? Another   but more  well made plan?? Dont tell me that OHJ  condition is all a big show and they using CSY as a new player  to bring the killer out .???? 

Okay sorry I go out of my way with theories when I find a story that make me so interested 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

I heard someone opine before that mandarin is a language that can convey a lot of emotions and is very nuanced. The words used can evoke feelings, and one has many expressions to choose from whether it’s a softer language or a harsher language. whereas with English it’s quite straightforward and flatter in expression. It’s more vocab driven. Haha.

Maybe I should watch the drama with chinese subtitle (that will take me forever to read) but I'm warming up to OHJ after he said he is pitiful. :cry:

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I am inclined to believe that The Guy did receive help among the police forces. Let us not forget that he knew where KSH was detained, which locker he had to use in order to dress as police officer... His behavior showed that he knew where the CCTV were. Furthermore, the detective from RUI 1 had stomachache and this is not a coincidence. It was as if someone had put something in his coffee or water in order to force him to leave the surveillance room.

I have a feeling the help came from among the police force would be Chief Choy. I'm guessing it has to be a top position person to be able to know where's the detainee & all the other details.

• Like 4

K-Drama Premiere: “Tell Me What You Saw” Coaxes Crime Series Fans To Anticipate More Thrilling Episodes  

OCN LAUNCHED TELL ME WHAT YOU SAW – ITS FIRST OFFERING FOR THE YEAR 2020 – AND IT REFUSES TO FALL SHORT OF EXPECTATIONS

Tell_Me_What_You_Saw-723x1024.jpg

Top-billed by Jang Hyuk, Choi Soo Young and Jin Seo Yun, Tell Me What You Saw officially signals the beginning of enthralling series for the channel known to house unconventional, riveting and cryptic stories.

Tapping formidable actor Jang Hyuk, who is known for having crime dramas as his turf, his new character challenges his range to deliver, given the recluse living setup of his role.

Thus, actresses Choi Soo Young and Jin Seo Yun suiting up as detectives – inevitably make the flavor of Tell Me What You Saw a cut different from the previous OCN series. This time, the women do the action while the lead man orchestrates the plan in solving the crime cases.

PREMIERE WEEK RECAP

THE WOMAN WITH PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY

Born to deaf-mute parents, Cha Soo Young (Choi Soo Young) has inclination to be aversive of her connection to her family. Unfortunately, that caused her mother’s death when she denies her relationship after being asked by her classmate if she knows the woman trying to get her attention amidst the pouring rain.

In trying to reach her daughter, Soo Young’s mother gets hit by a car which ran away from the scene. Pleading the police officer to search for the car details captured by her memory, the investigation reaches dead end because the vehicle involved is not registered.

Years later, Soo Young gets a chance to work in the police force thanks to her uncanny ability to picture events and storing it in her memory. When a murder case happened in their quiet town, she inadvertently destroys the crime scene. Luckily, she was able to take pictures before the scene got messy owing to her sliding accident and rain downpour.

PEPPERMINT CANDY

The regional investigation unit of Mucheon intervenes in the case after a peppermint candy is found in the crime scene. A trademark popular to a notorious psychopath believed to have been perished in an accident.

While drafting her report of not being able to protect the crime scene, Soo Young finds herself trapped in the middle of the briefing about the case when her seniors came in tow for a meeting. Piqued on how she has described the scene exactly the same way as she captured the photo, Team Leader Hwang Ha Young (Jin Seo Yun) requests for her transfer to the regional office to help out in the case.

THE GENIUS PROFILER

Team Leader Ha Young also introduces her to a mysterious man who lives a solitary life. His name is Oh Hyun Jae (Jang Hyuk), a once genius profiler who was also affected in the car explosion accident which caused his wife’s death.

Blinded and immobile, he sits on a high-tech wheel chair with only Team Leader Ha Young as his confidante – as she too is close to his dead wife.

Although Soo Young piques his interest, he does not show it. After realizing the identity of the person she met, Soo Young revisits the crime scene and fragments of her memory returns. She goes back to Hyun Jae’s hideout and discloses it. Still, the hermit former detective did not budge in acknowledging her effort.

Unlocking the culprit’s identity, the police team rushes to his dwelling unaware that he actually turned himself in. Aware that the psychopath in custody is a copycat, Hyun Jae and Ha Young work together to solve the case. Upon learning that the criminal has another victim who is possibly alive, the team move to save her.

THE VOICE THAT SAVED SOO YOUNG

Soo Young’s memory again cracks a clue that would save the missing woman. Arriving at the culprit’s hideout, the team faces another obstacle as the almost collapsing warehouse can’t be opened.

A tiny opening can only fit a small framed person and Soo Young bravely volunteers to go in. Finding a secret passage, Soo Young crawls but the passage breaks down and she loses connection to the standby team.

Trying to survive, Hyun Jae comes to her rescue and leads her to grope her way safely in an unfamiliar surrounding. Finally, she finds a door and follows Hyun Jae’s instruction to switch on the light, but to close her eyes first.

When she opens her eyes, she screams out of fear as corpses hang inside the room of rotten stench. In the brink of the room collapsing, Hyun Jae orders her to get out. But determined to save the victim, she stubbornly searches the place and successfully finds her.

The next day, as they prep up to continue questioning the psychopath in their custody, they find him soaked in his blood and brutally killed.

PREMIERE WEEK AFTERTHOUGHTS

Tell Me What You Saw takes the familiar elements present to former OCN series that viewers love. The somber tone, the ruthless villains, the brave protagonists and the psychopath chase – are all present in the initial showing of the drama.

Whether bringing in female detectives at the forefront of the crime busting activities yields a blessing is something to anticipate for. Especially since OCN drama fans are used to male leads taking in the bulk of the action and dramatic elements.

Establishing a skilled and cunning villain that would be pitted against Hyun Jae and RIU crime team sets an underdog theme. The unveiling of the outsmarting games is undoubtedly in motion in the succeeding episodes.

Choi Soo Young has blossomed to a picture of an actress who is ready to immerse on a role that the audience might find hard to believe she can be capable of absorbing.

Portraying a detective with a thirst to prove herself albeit unsure if she really can make it interestingly hooks for the viewers to root for her development. Looking forward to how her character will evolve given how OCN narrative throws in peculiar and unexpected story twists is natural. Aside from that, her character’s story of avenging her mother’s unfortunate death adds to the plot inclusions to expect for.

Returning to the small screen after five years, Jin Seo Yun exuded alpha female presence. Her role as the person who has a rationality that would bridge the gap between the emotional young detective she scouted and the intellectual friend with secretive nature marks how important her character is.

Jang Hyuk as always overwhelms with overbearing charisma that strangely attracts the audience. It would be boring though if all his upcoming scenes will be in his gloomy looking hub with his iguana pet.

Having a sound control room whilst being a backup to the crime solving detectives looks cool. However, it would not open a variety of movements for the plot to explore on.

Tell Me What You Saw airs on OCN every Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.hellokpop.com/featured/k-drama-premiere-tell-me-what-you-saw-ocn/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

This is soooo sad...:tears: He kept replaying that moment every night in his sleep. The scene where their hands meet, so close and yet he couldn't save her at all.  

Exactly! That must have haunt him and has become his nightmare too.  But I must say, despite his inner and physical turmoil, this guy sure still keep his cool and confidence.  I find this quite seductive, haha...

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AgnesO said:

Exactly! That must have haunt him and has become his nightmare too.  But I must say, despite his inner and physical turmoil, this guy sure still keep his cool and confidence.  I find this quite seductive, haha...

it was 5 years ago and i know it still same pain and horrible  moment still fresh in his mind 

but it was 5 years ago i think he had  a worsen time then now , a time he couldn't be cool or confidence and time that he hated himself and lose any faith of his ability it took him  5 years to set there now still in pain , guilt feeling and still hate himself but can act cool and decide that he should keep himself up to be able to catch that guy

i would like to see what happen in this 5 years or at least hear him talking about it 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, monalisa said:

Actress Jin seo-yeon is not a familiar face to me. Don't recall having seen any of her dramas before. Not that I don't like her or her acting. Like her role in this drama. An absolute must-watch for a crime drama buff like me.

She acted with Jang Hyuk in 'Shine or go Crazy' in 2015. Recently she is more well known in the movie 'Believer' which she won a Best supporting actress and Popularity award in 2018.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have been wondering how the serial killer Kang Seung Hwa could kill so many people without getting noticed before. The police didn't suspect the existence of another serial killer. Now, he has been killed and the question is about the reason of this murder. Was he killed

1. because he wanted to take the credit for a murder he didn't commit?
  2. because he could endanger other serial killers? The man looked mentally unstable. Maybe The Guy chose to form his own students as serial killers during these 5 years. Notice that the profiler Oh has started educating our FL.  
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2

I've just picked up this drama and came here to quick read all the post here, interesting analysis. Not a bad start for the first two episodes. Reminds me of the 'Bone Collector' movie.

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have been wondering how the serial killer Kang Seung Hwa could kill so many people without getting noticed before. The police didn't suspect the existence of another serial killer.

Did KSH really killed those girls? Its likely that the real killer used him to lure OHJ out from hiding seeing that he was killed after he confessed to the murders. The RIU was called in after they found the peppermint with the body in the suitcase. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

48 minutes ago, imgreatgal said:

I've just picked up this drama and came here to quick read all the post here, interesting analysis. Not a bad start for the first two episodes. Reminds me of the 'Bone Collector' movie.

Did KSH really kill those girls? It's likely that the real killer used him to lure OHJ out from hiding seeing that he was killed after he confessed to the murders. The RIU was called in after they found the peppermint with the body in the suitcase. 

That's another possibility but this theory will be verified very soon because the last victim survived. However, I have some doubt because of the way the corpses were disposed of in the mausoleum which was different from the body in the suitcase. If the real culprit is interested in challenging OHJ, then this means that he has known OHJ for a long time, since the profiler disappeared 5 years ago. Only someone linked to the incident from 5 years ago can come to the idea to lure OHJ. 

But notice that KSH never mentioned OHJ therefore I can not imagine that KSH was entirely innocent and has been manipulated, when he came to police station to confess. For me, it is clear that KSH killed people but the question is: did he kill the woman in the suitcase of not? 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2