[Drama 2020] Tell Me What You Saw, 본대로 말하라

Prettysup

Damn, I still didn't get to watch it yet:pensive::bawling:. I wanna join in the discussion and read the comments:tired:. I miss the days where I had too much time on my hands lol:sweat::sweat_smile:. Hopefully, by this weekend I'll get to watch it, hopefully.......

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, noor1 said:

it's not her fault her mother crossed the road without looking (but of course she must be guilty, hence her 'healing /forgiving herself' relationship with the profiler later in series)

This exactly.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, noor1 said:

I don't know why her acting or job-handling gets trolled but she was trying to do her job, by preserving the crime scene when she took photos which could've been altered by rain, and I think that was useful. In K-drama, they have to include some over-the-top, blame-game, shout-express aimed against the woman (FL usually), where everyone is screaming and insulting the woman, and the first episode was no exception to this rule. I hope it is not done / shown moving forward.

And this. 

I gave that a bit of a pass because i understood that they kinda needed it to showcase her photographic memory abilities and introduce her into the group. But now that i think about it that's a bit of an excuse. If she was the male lead they would have come up with something else. It woud have been some genious display of his abilities and he certainly wouldn't have gotten yelled at.

But it's cool to see more female roles for those calm and introvert characters who are smart/ observant and maybe even have some kind of unusual ability. That is usually the kdrama cliche for the male lead and the you'd have the bubbly and courageous female rookie detective on the other side. There has been a few of those dramas recently who change it up.

I guess Cha Soo-Young doesn't quite fit into either.

Certainly not the know all and can do all character even though she has her special ability. 

But honestly i am not quite sure why everyone thinks she is a bad cop. She doesn't just rely on her memory. She also makes all the connections herself. I think she is pretty smart. 

She is very much introverted. But you have those moments of a brighter personality. Usually when she is alone or when she talks to her father. In part because she needs to be more expressionate when she talks to him. 

I think she is very courageous deep down but that doesn't come easy to her. She is still very much afraid and gets freaked out. So she has gather all her courage to continue like we saw in that great scene. I think that's more interesting than the overenergized rookie detective with that kind of naive courage who just jumps into it.

Is supposed to be seen as clumsy? I am not really sure. There is the scene where she slips but that's also the setup. 

I think what we can say that she isn't super calm and collected in dangerous situations. You have her leaping back when she sees the rat, at noises etc. I think they could have tones that a bit down but more than anything i am looking forward to her growth when she teams up with Oh Hyun-Jae and they learn to trust each other, overcome their fears etc.

I personally liked her rather understated performance which is also shown in her appearance. And i liked her physicality in it. I think SY was talking about that she was anticipating a cool physical scene? I could do without show off fighting scenes (that includes the male leads). If it is a scrappy fight scene that feels painful and isn't just for display i am all for it.

To make some comparisons to the OCN drama Watcher (love that drama). The scene with Kim Hyun-Joo was great. And it was way more of a character driven scene than a action scene. But please no 1v20 male lead fighting scenes. And it didn't fit into the tone of the drama at all. Not sure why they do that. Yeah i guess the actor did a good job but that's really not the point. Always feels like the actors have some extra term in their contracts. I only sign when i get at least one scene where i look really cool and beat up some people.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:45 PM, budgerie said:

Bad writing - the writers forgot oxygen meter. 

And I am still puzzled how could OHJ have the network to communicate with her inside the sewerage when those outside had no network. 

And bring some water. They even talk about how they are running out of time because the woman can only survive that long without any water.

The thing with the reception took me out as well. But it made for the best scenes afterwards so what gives.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Someone said that Oh Hyun-Jae has a prosthetic arm, is it true ? 

Oh poor fellow, he really paid heavy for his misjudgement if this is true.

@dramafan33I'm in the same situation as you.  I find myself thinking of OHJ in my free time today after watching ep 2 yesterday, trying to understand this guy and what he went through.  I think in his own silent way, he has captivated me. 

He was obviously a high achiever which results in a very confident and somewhat arrogant man.  Everything changed after that fateful accident and he literally lost everything, but not his ingenuity. The guilt and turmoil he's suffering, not to mention physical suffering too.  I'm quite shock to see he's still dependent on machines and pills, which means he's still not recovered physically.  

And the killer, it seems he still doesn't know OHJ is still alive?  Cos in the press conf someone asked if OHJ is still alive, and I'm inclined to believe he's the killer.  If he found out that OHJ is still alive...hmm that'll be exciting.  

Though some parts of this drama may not meet the logic section, I'll allow my imagination to take over and enjoy the ride as long the storyline doesn't disappoint.  The strength of this drama to me are in the cast, the interaction between OHJ and SY and the team leader.  And there's a lot the writer can expand on in regards to OHJ's character and circumstances to make the show intriging and exciting.  

I'm looking forward... and oh btw how many episodes are there? 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

Spasticity is a side effect of paralysis. Symptoms of spasticity includes scissoring - which is the involuntary crossing of the legs even for people who are paralysed from waist down.

I have to admit that i had to read what Spasticity before answering  your post :joy:

and i should confess that i didn't understand it well but i get the idea  after reading it of what you mean about it be possible in this case  and that what important :tounge_wink: thanks for answering my question 

p.s. i keep thinking how much hell someone like OHJ lived for 5 years for being unable to do anything not even help other 

he was like all over the place in the past solving crime , hero of the police and more i keep re-watching his scene with tears when CSY find the victim and i keep see throught that one scene how much he may suffered all this years beside all the loss and body pain, the guilty and the life changing what make him suffer more the unable to do anything or help anyone the disability in his mind more than his body 

i guess the team leader know how he suffering i think she choice CSY not just for her memory  ability but cause she felt that someone with her persointly may force OHJ to go out to the world again , and she was right when she said ""i bet in you" CSY , CSY maybe the first in 5 years that force OHJ to move and help again  

i think she also seeing that CSY has mute parent was one of the reason she also choice her , she not someone who would give the pity, sick , holding back and weak treatment to OHJ for his condition 

i think more than catching the killer , team leader caring for saving OHJ from his lost life 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

@Fabbo I love Sooyoung. I love a hero who has fears but pushes through in spite of them. It’s so relatable. She is my favorite kind of underdog. 

@nona88 Ok I love this idea that Team leader Hwang might care for OHJ. I get that vibe more in the flashbacks than in the present but I’ll go with this. She seems so hurt by everything as well. I can’t wait to get to know her side of the story. And I want someone, anyone to at least touch OHJ in the hand with any excuse. I feel suffocated thinking this man is living so isolated with no one to receive or give affection to! I wish he at least had a cat! I’m making myself cry now. 

Team leader Hwang kills me every time she leaves him abruptly with a cold “I’ll get going”. Are you guys only professional partners? Not one interaction that suggests a former actual friendship? IT HURTS! This coldness hurts! Compare that to the sweetness of Sooyoung and her dad and now even the warmth of Sooyoung and her co-workers 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I think the explosion should’ve happened much faster so OHJ wouldn’t have seem slow (bad directing?), he looked like he was taking too long, not even trying to break the glass with his gun. If he was a floridian cop, this would be very believable though :D (we have the most bizarre law enforcement here, funny but not funny) 

When I rewatched the scene, there was actually a first explosion after he reached his fiancee and that impact flung his gun off. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

43 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

When I rewatched the scene, there was actually a first explosion after he reached his fiancee and that impact flung his gun off. 

Ohhhhh good catch! Most people missed this detail tho! Director should help us out a little with a zoom or something :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

10 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

But wouldn’t it be easier to just walk and use a stick? I dunno, I think they really need to just explain his condition and why he has that machine next to his bed or I’m going to go crazy! Don’t they understand how obsessive I get with pointless details? :crazy: 

Are we together on this? I don't mean to be picky but for genre like this, got to have some logic. Scientifically proven facts. Even if not throughout the drama but at least some. So far what we've seen, no logic.

But perhaps k audience/k drama is like this. As long as the cast is good, never mind the bad writing.

I think the explosion should’ve happened much faster so OHJ wouldn’t have seem slow (bad directing?), he looked like he was taking too long, not even trying to break the glass with his gun. If he was a floridian cop, this would be very believable though :D (we have the most bizarre law enforcement here, funny but not funny) 

Agree. The timing was bad. If it had happened much sooner, audience will know he didn't have time to save his fiancee. But from what we have seen, he got ample time to shoot 2 gun shots into the air, he got time to throw the handcuff to the criminal.

They could also explain it as “genius profiler wasn’t too genius on the field” hey, he is only human and maybe nerves took over, didn’t want to put her more at risk by breaking the glass? Didn’t really know what to do? But hey am I holding my breath thinking the drama will ever address this properly? No! Lol (it would be an awesome welcomed surprise tho, if they did) 

I wish they will let us know what happened between Isu and the taxi driver in the taxi. How on earth did the taxi turned upside down & the taxi driver looked fine. He wasn't badly injured (was he) considering he's the one behind the wheels & the taxi overturned.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nona88 said:

I have to admit that i had to read what Spasticity before answering  your post :joy:

Heeheehee! I googled it. Like you, I was also wondering how come if he is paralysed, he can still cross his legs. Unless he is not paralysed. So I casually googled and it said the symptoms of spasticity includes......quite a number of things and involuntary crossing of legs is 1 of it.

6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Team leader Hwang kills me every time she leaves him abruptly with a cold “I’ll get going”. Are you guys only professional partners? Not one interaction that suggests a former actual friendship? IT HURTS! This coldness hurts! Compare that to the sweetness of Sooyoung and her dad and now even the warmth of Sooyoung and her co-workers 

Perhaps she had love him before & he didn't reciprocrate? So let's just be professional partners...maybe?

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

But he had the gun to shoot 2 shots into the sky. Did I miss something? Did it show him pick up his gun? All the more he should have gone for Isu first since there was already a 1st explosion!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Did you guys notice that OHJ doesn’t change his clothes? I’m distressed! 

That picture in your Twitter, I actually thought it was right after the explosion and he was recuperating. It’s not? Haha. Cos he still had straight hair then. Now he has curly hair. In the scene that he was lying down sleeping, his hair was straight right? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

That picture in your Twitter, I actually thought it was right after the explosion and he was recuperating. It’s not? Haha. Cos he still had straight hair then. Now he has curly hair. In the scene that he was lying down sleeping, his hair was straight right? 

I’d think after the explosion he would be in much worse state and in a hospital and not wearing the coat he wears now but a hospital gown. I think that scene is in the present and that’s how he sleeps in his bedroom. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Agree. The timing was bad. If it had happened much sooner, audience will know he didn't have time to save his fiancee. But from what we have seen, he got ample time to shoot 2 gun shots into the air, he got time to throw the handcuff to the criminal.

No no, the whole point is to show he deliberately made a decision to go after the killer instead of saving his fiancée. He had ample time to do the latter first but he did not. He is too arrogant and thought that he had everything within his control. We don’t have to find justification for him acting as a jerk. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

No no, the whole point is to show he deliberately made a decision to go after the killer instead of saving his fiancée. He had ample time to do the latter first but he did not. He is too arrogant and thought that he had everything within his control. We don’t have to find justification for him acting as a jerk. 

I agree that showing his decision to go after the killer first was intentional (so he can later feel guilty about that) What I found unnecessarily slow was the sequence right after he decided to help her. The two explosions and him trying to open the door, banging on it, that part felt like an eternity and it made him look inept. I feel that could’ve been done “faster” and maybe if they had shown more clearly that he lost his gun we wouldn’t question why he didn’t use it to try to break the window, etc

• Like 6

I like two of our mains three. OHJ and CSY. OHJ is definitely interesting character abit unrealistic. CSY is inexperienced but has potential. They go well together. These characters were made in a way that makes sense for them to work together. 

I actually like that OHJ first tried to stop the killer, but decided to spend more time on trying to save his fiancée. He's a member of police force. And this killer is serial killer who would likely to kill others if escapes. But instead of making sure to capture him, OHJ couldn't help but to go back to save his fiancée. So he ends up doing medium for both, which results in him losing both. I wonder if he regrets not choosing one. Maybe this is why OHJ told CSY to just get out without even looking for the victim. But still heartwarmed when CSY found the victim (he had tears in his eyes).

CSY is somewhat our Watson. But she has her reasons like she didn't go to police school, not especially smart, and has no serious crime solving experience. But has somewhat common sense, still smart enough, and has exceptional memory that will help solving the crime case. I also like that she's somewhat introvert. Usually, the young main lead of the group is fiery one, especially in the crime drama. 

Two females in trio leads in non-romance drama. That's rare. Not only that, the male lead has disabilities in crime drama which results in him being restricted from getting spotlight. (In Voice, they needed female lead [who is usually stuck in one area] to do some action scenes to get more spotlight.)

I hope OHJ is actually blind. It would be even more great if he actually can't walk as well. At least if he's going to walk, let him use prosthesis. I mean I think he's already using that for at least one of his hand. His disabilities are big part of story. The title itself "tell me what you saw" comes from the fact that he cannot see or walk, so somebody else has to go there and see for him. Unless it's sci fi, I'm tired of somehow cured the disability or the disability was fake ending. I feel so betrayed. For example, Beauty Inside kdrama. I was so disappointed that they had to give reason for male lead to risk his life to cure his disability and despite it having extremely low chance, he magically got cured because yay happy ending with perfectly healthy body! Sigh.. 

The cops are nice. Even though they didn't like CSY at first, it's somewhat understandable since CSY has no rights except for the team leader just giving her the spot in the team. She literally failed to enter the team when trying to enter it properly. And her ability to remember extremely well sounds doubtful, also she's extremely inexperienced in crime case solving. But when CSY shows her ability and proven correct, they quickly acknowledged the fact that she's right. Even when CSY tried to enter the sewer, the cops were against it because it's dangerous. They didn't even have backup yet. It was HHY, team leader, who allowed CSH to go in. When the connection got bad, the cops kept telling HHY to let CSH come back. They searched earnestly for her when backup came. Then later they truly welcomed her as a part of team.

Anyway, the drama is definitely interesting. I can't wait for the next episodes!

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

A jerk he is. :confused: Now that it was mentioned he dropped his gun, I have to go rewatch the episode again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

A jerk he is. :confused: Now that it was mentioned he dropped his gun, I have to go rewatch the episode again.

Here's the scene.

I think after firing, he went back to his fiancee , held the gun in his left hand (my assumption) and knocked on the car window with his right hand. The impact from the blast then made him drop his gun somehow because after that, he didn't have the gun on both hands. But still, he could have use his gun to smash the window straight away. ..:unsure:

Anyway, I think the writer wants us to hate OHJ for his arrogance ..haha!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1