[Drama 2020] Tell Me What You Saw, 본대로 말하라

Prettysup

@Biology Lesson I think it’s a good jump but hopefully it gets to 5! I think 5 would be considered good. Besides having less competition on Sundays I think the ep was better. I think the strength of this drama are the leads and their interactions but it would be helpful it the strengthen the killer storyline and made him more scary. I’m so not caring about that aspect and I definitely don’t want that to be the focus but for this genre, it’s important to keep the suspense. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I think it’s a good jump but hopefully it gets to 5! I think 5 would be considered good. Besides having less competition on Sundays I think the ep was better. I think the strength of this drama are the leads and their interactions but it would be helpful it the strengthen the killer storyline and made him more scary. I’m so not caring about that aspect and I definitely don’t want that to be the focus but for this genre, it’s important to keep the suspense. 

OK, hopefully the ratings will continue to increase next week.

I personally don't care about the killer. For me what is interesting in the development of the characters, and most specifically JH's character. I want to see a great psychological look into him and all the rest. For me, the killer and the plot are just engines to drive the characters development. All I want is for the killer to be sophisticated enough to justify him avoiding being caught until the end so that the characters won't behave like idiots while chasing him, like was the case in Voice :) 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@Biology Lesson I agree with @dramafan33 that hopefully it gets to 5 but considering how many OCN dramas stay in the 1-2% range, 3 isn’t bad. 

I said this in JH’s thread, but as much as I like this genre, I rarely care about the killers. I guess I’m just glad they didn’t hire an actor with such a distinctive jawline like in Voice lol. 

I enjoyed Episode 2. I’m liking SooYoung, the actress, and Soo Young the character. 

• Like 5

Extracted out the relevant portion from the news below :

“Tell Me What You Saw” Enjoys Significant Jump For 2nd Episode

OCN’s new mystery thriller “Tell Me What You Saw,” which stars Girls’ Generation’s Choi Sooyoung and Jang Hyuk, saw a significant boost in its viewership ratings for its second episode. The drama scored an average nationwide rating of 3.3 percent and a peak of 3.5 percent, marking a considerable increase from its premiere ratings of 2.0 percent from the night before.

“Tell Me What You Saw” also took first place in its time slot among viewers ages 25 to 49, with whom it scored an average rating of 2.8 percent and a peak of 3.0 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1380774wpp/crash-landing-on-you-queen-love-and-war-achieve-their-highest-ratings-yet-tell-me-what-you-saw-enjoys-significant-jump-for-2nd-episode

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Somehow Knetz are commenting very little on this drama. And no4 below is so funny haha..

Knetz comments on Ep2 :

1.    Jang Hyuk! Every scene of Jang Hyuk's appearance, my sense of immersion has skyrocketed. I'm appalled. 

2.    Jang Hyuk, the most unique character I've ever seen in Kdramas before, has the best digestion. Oh Hyun Jae's profiling methods are different. 

3.    I think Jang Hyuk is the best character. 

4.    I felt sorry for Jang Hyuk. He lost everything in an accident five years ago. But I am so glad you managed to retain your perfect beauty and honey voice. 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/076/0003526337

5.    The unique character and acting is the best in all of Jang Hyuk's characters. Oh Hyun Jae's situational ability charm is very interesting.

6.    Oh, I feel so sorry that Hyun-jae lost everything. Please tell me he can walk and see again. It is so sad.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/468/0000622070

2020020301000121600006221_20200203100707

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I transferred myself here from JH thread. @PrettysupI am a good girl, I listen to you. Lol. After I commented at JH thread than I remembered what you said. So I copy my post from there to here.

Ok, just watched ep 2.

Is it just me or do you also feel the same? Isn't it the 1st instinct is to quickly go to the injured first (ISU) instead of asking the killer to handcuff himself? Would any killer would diligently do that? Shouldn't it be quickly go to ISU first?? She might still be alive if his 1st instinct was to go get her out of the car first....This to me is a silly writing. :oBecause when he first reached her, I thought I could see that petrol is leaking already. (scratch my head in disbelieve). 

As to whether he is crippled, paralysed from legs down - could be real, could be fake. Scissoring (involuntary crossing of the legs) is 1 of the symptoms of Spasticity. 

(I don't work in the police force so I don't know). Is there a SY in every investigation board? Without people like SY, nobody can crack a case? Like she has to supply every information/leads via her memory? Lol.

And I have a feeling that Chief Choi is a bad guy.

How come when she is inside the sewage the rest of the people outside can't communicate with her but OHJ can??

And the killing at the interrogation room. Shouldn't this room be more guarded? As in no one guards outside the door of the interrogation room? The security is so laxed.

In general, ep 2 is alot more entertaining than ep 1 & I'm liking SY. Her acting may be ok ok only but it does portray her role as a newbie cop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, she said:

I have a theory about jin seo-yeon , so Jang hyuk lost his fiancee , and there's a pic of jang hyuk with his finance and jin seo yeun together . When JH asked JSY why is she going after the serial killer she said she had a reason so I think that she was in love with his fiancee too !!

I loved the 1st ep , everybody did a great job . the story is very exciting too . I found Cha sooyoung very likable , can't wait to see more of her .

That's an interesting theory. I thought Ha Young loved OHJ too, because of the way she yelled out his name and not his fiancee when the car was about to explode. But maybe she was unaware that she was inside the car as well. 

@dramafan33 @budgerie I am quite puzzled by what OHJ had done before the incident.  Shouldn't he as the best criminal profiler have known that provoking the killer on TV will invite retaliation? Or is it his plan? Was he too arrogant and overconfident that he could handle the repercussions?  And he was also so confident that he went to get the criminal to handcuff himself first before proceeding to save his loved one.. my goodness. Too calm and level headed..  

Spoiler

But I felt so sorry for him when he realised he was too late and he couldn't save his fiancee in time. He even refused to leave the car seeing the impending explosion .  I think when he knew he made a terrible mistake, he wanted to die together with her, hence the scene where their hands meet at the car window. I'm sure he had ample time to jump away from the explosion. 

Maybe the fact that he still survived torments him every night. Like what @dramafan33said, it hurts him physically and emotionally so badly that he became numb to feelings.. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

That's an interesting theory. I thought Ha Young loved OHJ too, because of the way she yelled out his name and not his fiancee when the car was about to explode. But maybe she was unaware that she was inside the car as well. 

She's too far to be able to see OHJ fiancee. But I think she knew even though she can't see else why would OHJ be there at the car & refused to leave.

@budgerie I am quite puzzled by what OHJ had done before the incident.  Shouldn't he as the best criminal profiler have known that provoking the killer on TV will invite retaliation? Or is it his plan? Was he too arrogant and overconfident that he could handle the repercussions?  And he was also so confident that he went to get the criminal to handcuff himself first before proceeding to save his loved one.. my goodness. Too calm and level headed..  

Either he is too confident and arrogant or it could just be bad writing. Ok don't say there's any explosion. Even if there's no explosion, his fiancee could have died of suffocation inside the car or any other injuries.

Hide contents

But I felt so sorry for him when he realised he was too late and he couldn't save his fiancee in time. He even refused to leave the car seeing the impending explosion .  I think when he knew he made a terrible mistake, he wanted to die together with her, hence the scene where their hands meet at the car window. I'm sure he had ample time to jump away from the explosion. 

(Don't strangle me) but I didn't feel sorry for OHJ. A genius profiler or whatever he is that is skilled in his job should have more sense than this. But yes, he felt guilt because he (indirectly) caused her death by his delay in reaching out to her.

And I wished we had some moments of happy sweet lovey dovey interaction between OHJ and ISU so that we could (or I could) feel his loss.

• Like 4

@azureblue7 Yes, I think in one of the synopsis they mentioned that OHJ was extremely arrogant (he seems to always have had a sort of “God complex”) and that arrogance is what provoked the killer. Given that OHJ is so good at analysis he probably already knows this (or like you said, he did it to lure him, which in itself is a daring “arrogant” stunt) and he totally miscalculated the consequences. This probably brings him a great deal of guilt and pain (so strong that it made him numb) I’m also very interested to know how exactly did this incident change him, so far we see that he was and still is arrogant, but this incident must have shaken him. We still haven’t learned enough about his internal process but I think we will. Looking forward to that. 

I feel he is a bit “psycho” himself though (reminds me of Sherlock, the Benedict Cumberbatch version) who was a “functional sociopath” (not saying OHJ is exactly that but...) the way he is using Soo young as a sort of avatar or puppet at this point, indicates a great level of detachment. He is exposed to all these dramatic moments, tragedies, all this stuff he hears on that police radio and it is probably so overwhelming right?, but he feels nothing. Its all facts, clues, cold analysis, no feelings or emotions (he thinks Sooyoung's emotions are a weakness, did he feel this way in the past? Were his own emotions a hindrance at some point? Eh I guess this is a bit of a cliche but Im enjoying the idea of her helping him find his humanity) Also I felt excitement in him when Sooyoung found the bodies, she was terrified but he was excited. That is...chilling. But was he always this way or did the incident make him worse? I hope we get to find out. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

3 hours ago, budgerie said:

Don't strangle me) but I didn't feel sorry for OHJ. A genius profiler or whatever he is that is skilled in his job should have more sense than this. But yes, he felt guilt because he (indirectly) caused her death by his delay in reaching out to her.

And I wished we had some moments of happy sweet lovey dovey interaction between OHJ and ISU so that we could (or I could) feel his loss.

I hope so too... 

I feel sorry for OHJ because of JH..he's too good at depicting a tortured soul... 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The lure of Hyukkie in another OCN drama is too much to resist but yes... Tell Me What You Saw... got off to a good start. At least I find the dynamic of the 3 leads to be the most promising aspect of the story. The story itself is standard fare from the cable network so it's the primary investigators that has our attention. We're meant to think of course while the daily grind of criminal investigation functions, it is only when the paths of the 3 intersect that the magic of what is about to happen can take place. I suppose SY's gift was wasted in the backwaters regional policing but it couldn't have come to life without the Team Leader Hwang's progressive perceptiveness and OHJ's investigative savvy. The start of the drama signals a new era... it was the right time and the right place for it. Talent needs to be recognized and nurtured by the right people.

While I liked the idea of OJH mentoring SY through ear buds, it did leave me wondering for a few moments if it was a lead up to Voice 4. :lol: Not that it's necessarily a bad thing.  A blind, immobile ace detective guiding a rookie barely wet behind the ears. One that has the gift of some kind of eidetic memory. She becomes his eyes, his ears and his legs. Why does he jump into the role at the moment of greatest urgency? Because he feels her lostness? A reason to keep going in his dreary existence? Or something dangerous like hope? Perhaps underneath the bravado is a man who is equally lost, trapped in the past who needs to move on. In SY he finds a willing vessel that helps him connect to the outside world which he has left behind.

This brings me to something that struck me immediately and that is the recurrence of disability as a theme. SY's parents both profoundly hearing impaired and then OJH now wheelchair bound, and blind, badly scarred due to the 3 way junction incident that involved his fiancee. For them SY is a conduit for the disabled existing within the fringes. She interprets the outside world on their behalf using her eyes, her ears and her memory.

OJH's bleak abode seems sterile... augmented by machines which help him exist but barely.

What role will the iguana play than the purely decorative? ;) It seems like something out of a classic James Bond film. Even Hyukkie's laugh sounds painfully over dramatic.  But then OHJ is a man carrying around a tonne of baggage.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

21 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

Did the hit and run case of So Young's mom get solved since she remembered the carplate details? Or did it remain unsolved?

Who is the other woman in the picture with Hwang and Oh?

No it did not get solved. The other woman is OHY's fiancee, who is also Hwang's friend. It was Hwang who introduced them 

17 hours ago, she said:

I have a theory about jin seo-yeon , so Jang hyuk lost his fiancee , and there's a pic of jang hyuk with his finance and jin seo yeun together . When JH asked JSY why is she going after the serial killer she said she had a reason so I think that she was in love with his fiancee too !!

Haha I had to read 3x to get what you mean lol

7 hours ago, budgerie said:

Is it just me or do you also feel the same? Isn't it the 1st instinct is to quickly go to the injured first (ISU) instead of asking the killer to handcuff himself? Would any killer would diligently do that? Shouldn't it be quickly go to ISU first?? She might still be alive if his 1st instinct was to go get her out of the car first....This to me is a silly writing. :oBecause when he first reached her, I thought I could see that petrol is leaking already. (scratch my head in disbelieve). 

I think this was to show that he puts his work over his love.

7 hours ago, budgerie said:

How come when she is inside the sewage the rest of the people outside can't communicate with her but OHJ can??

That was bothering me too, he has such sophisticated equipment that the police cannot afford? And also the fact that SY went into a confined space without carrying an oxygen meter. It will be terrible for Hwang if she allows a police to die in that tunnel. Poor workplace safety for the Korean police force.

4 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 Yes, I think in one of the synopsis they mentioned that OHJ was extremely arrogant (he seems to always have had a sort of “God complex”) and that arrogance is what provoked the killer. Given that OHJ is so good at analysis he probably already knows this (or like you said, he did it to lure him, which in itself is a daring “arrogant” stunt) and he totally miscalculated the consequences. This probably brings him a great deal of guilt and pain (so strong that it made him numb) I’m also very interested to know how exactly did this incident change him, so far we see that he was and still is arrogant, but this incident must have shaken him. We still haven’t learned enough about his internal process but I think we will. Looking forward to that. 

Yes it was supposedly his arrogance that makes 'The Guy' want to destroy his life.

• Like 6

@azureblue7 Yes, I think in one of the synopsis they mentioned that OHJ was extremely arrogant (he seems to always have had a sort of “God complex”) and that arrogance is what provoked the killer. Given that OHJ is so good at analysis he probably already knows this (or like you said, he did it to lure him, which in itself is a daring “arrogant” stunt) and he totally miscalculated the consequences. This probably brings him a great deal of guilt and pain (so strong that it made him numb) I’m also very interested to know how exactly did this incident change him, so far we see that he was and still is arrogant, but this incident must have shaken him. We still haven’t learned enough about his internal process but I think we will. Looking forward to that

I agree on that he arrogant  5 years ago not just the interview but the fact he couldnt lose to the killer was more strong then his love for his fiancee I know that he now regrets that decision so much that it killing him, he only living to catch that guy's as  only way to be able to forgive himself  a little .

it like how CSY with her mother only a moments  of selfish destroy her forever  that why he helped  her in the end he could connect  to that pain and the fear of being too weak to not bring justice  to the lost love one more fearing anything also in the world 

He not innocent , he will not be that good at catching monster's  if he cant  get into their head, he arrogant, stupid and yes had a God complex  he so good at everything so he really was thinking he untouchable and no one can win against  him 

But he know his mistake now, not that he a better  person now but he at least knows it his fault 

I feel he is a bit “psycho” himself though (reminds me of Sherlock, the Benedict Cumberbatch version) who was a “functional sociopath” (not saying OHJ is exactly that but...) the way he is using Soo young as a sort of avatar or puppet at this point, indicates a great level of detachment. He is exposed to all these dramatic moments, tragedies, all this stuff he hears on that police radio and it is probably so overwhelming right?, but he feels nothing. Its all facts, clues, cold analysis, no feelings or emotions (he thinks Sooyoung's emotions are a weakness, did he feel this way in the past? Were his own emotions a hindrance at some point? Eh I guess this is a bit of a cliche but Im enjoying the idea of her helping him find his humanity) Also I felt excitement in him when Sooyoung found the bodies, she was terrified but he was excited. That is...chilling. But was he always this way or did the incident make him worse? I hope we get to find out. 

He not the normal tybe for sure but I dont think he a psychopath  too , he really misses  the  excited of being in crime scene , the excited  of being right, the excited that he know things before others, he missed  the way he can read the crazy people  minds.  it obsession more then  he like them, it  was his all life before and with mind like him he will missing  using it again 

But it was creepy too he want to know, he want to be there, want her with her talking making him feel like walking there himself  but he show that not more important  than CYS life when the roof  was about to crash he order her to get out not caring about the crime scene or the victim  it was just a rational decision without feeling nor for the victim  nor for the crime itself  so he not so obsess to that much 

And his tear hearing the victim  voice and the fact  that CSY could save her tell more about him,  ah  he missed  something also beside  the crime he missed the joy when you save someone, he missed  the feeling of being able to help and save someone 

So he not totally  a  psychopath 

Cant wait to see him transfer more with CSY as his partner  I like this two feelings connection 

33 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

hope so too... 

I feel sorry for OHJ because of JH..he's too good at depicting a tortured soul... 

That scene was behind  words it just tell how much feeling and suffer that man  having,  as I wrote above show that he not just enjoys crime and killer mind it also has feeling about saving other 

But let me add that scene shows how much he suffered all this 5 years of guilt and disability to be what he want the most , the moment of saving a life mean so much to him like a light in his darkness , guilty  and suffering life 

I can talk about OHJ scenes  all day what a great actor and a great complex feeling he shown without words :heart:

My favorite  scene to when she was going in the factor how he was listening and talking to himself about her and hearing her talking about her mother how he couldnt stop his hand to open the microphone it was a moment that she connected to his feeling and get through his layers  of coldness and stones  

" what I fear the most "

"To be so weak to give up "  

That what connected this two 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Wow, what a song that was when SY saved the girl, with OHJ tearing up at the good news. And what a line: "I helped you because I felt bad for you and myself" - I guess that's the healing part for both of them, that they help save lives given their limitations (disability and inexperience). I think it also is a way to show that handicap is just a state of mind, mental blocks that people have hinder them more in life than physical incapacity.

And because SY grew up with mute parents, she doesn't think of OJH as a freak, but rather plain arrogant, former great profiler, now presumed dead/ in hiding, badly injured, tortured soul, who commands respect because he does know what he is talking about.

Love the father-daughter relationship.

@40somethingahjumma yes, if this series is a success, I am sure it will go on with seasons  just like Voice has. 

Someone at kissasian and asianwiki sites commented that the hooded killer is actor Seo Kang Joon (based on the lips/ smirk) but it could easily be Yoo Hee-Je (who is playing the snitch detective.) - but one thing's for sure: the hooded guy is the journalist in press con. who asked whether OHJ is dead. And this person does not have the heavy voice that the taxi driver (of OHJ's fiancee') had, so this is not the candy killer either. 

Anyways, good start. I hope this Jang-Hyuk-voice-in-SY-head continues - as he said so himself, 'this is when the real showtime starts' (!)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

I am just wondering  if OHJ really blind ??  There a few scene when he look like not blind as he looked at his ring in ep 2 and more 

I have my doubts about that , maybe he was blind and recover but still acting as blind to be looked so weak to the killer he maybe suspected  that one of the police  or close one has connected  to the killer ??  

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Somehow Knetz are commenting very little on this drama. And no4 below is so funny haha..

Knetz comments on Ep2 :

1.    Jang Hyuk! Every scene of Jang Hyuk's appearance, my sense of immersion has skyrocketed. I'm appalled. 

2.    Jang Hyuk, the most unique character I've ever seen in Kdramas before, has the best digestion. Oh Hyun Jae's profiling methods are different. 

3.    I think Jang Hyuk is the best character. 

4.    I felt sorry for Jang Hyuk. He lost everything in an accident five years ago. But I am so glad you managed to retain your perfect beauty and honey voice. 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/076/0003526337

5.    The unique character and acting is the best in all of Jang Hyuk's characters. Oh Hyun Jae's situational ability charm is very interesting.

6.    Oh, I feel so sorry that Hyun-jae lost everything. Please tell me he can walk and see again. It is so sad.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/468/0000622070

Perfect beauty and honey voice lol 

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t quote images. Thanks
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

And also the fact that SY went into a confined space without carrying an oxygen meter. It will be terrible for Hwang if she allows a police to die in that tunnel. Poor workplace safety for the Korean police force.

Bad writing - the writers forgot oxygen meter. 

And I am still puzzled how could OHJ have the network to communicate with her inside the sewerage when those outside had no network. 

1 hour ago, nona88 said:

I agree on that he arrogant  5 years ago not just the interview but the fact he couldnt lose to the killer was more strong then his love for his fiancee I know that he now regrets that decision so much that it killing him, he only living to catch that guy's as  only way to be able to forgive himself  a little .

Ok I accept it now that his love for his work is stronger than his love for his fiancee. If he had rescued his love first, we will not have this drama to watch. I guess he didn't calculate that there would be an explosion because he was too arrogant and over confident of nabbing the criminal. He overlooked the petrol leaking from the car.

1 hour ago, nona88 said:

And his tear hearing the victim  voice and the fact  that CSY could save her tell more about him,  ah  he missed  something also beside  the crime he missed the joy when you save someone, he missed  the feeling of being able to help and save someone 

The feeling of when he could have saved his fiancee but he didn't still haunts him. I'm curious how is he going to come out (actively) and nab the killer and be healed of his guilt and pain. I sure don't want him to be what he is now for the entire drama. In that room....

25 minutes ago, nona88 said:

I am just wondering  if OHJ really blind ?? 

I always have the feeling he's blind 1 eye only.

• Like 3