[Drama 2020] Tell Me What You Saw, 본대로 말하라

Prettysup

When Hyukkie drops the tone in his voice, my heart does flip flops. Even with that dishevelled, unkempt hairstyle, he exudes a vulnerability that makes him the acting powerhouse that he is.

Undoubtedly there are many sides to OHJ and we're catching glimpses of all of them in various contexts. When I look at him I wonder what it is like being him: perceiving the world from the point of view of criminal minds and being so good at it. How does he cope with having to deal with that level of evil routinely? It isn't just the serial nutjobs or the homicidal maniacs but also having to navigate the heady world of corrupt police politics. It must be painful to be this intelligent, to be able to skillfully see through people's actions... which could be more of a curse than a blessing. (Like the female protagonist from last year's Black)

Judging from that flashback with I-Su it occurred to me that she acted as OHJ's connection with his own humanity, an intermediary between his incredible mind and his emotions. Yes, she and her music was his refuge from the demands of a job that is beyond the comprehension of us mere mortals. But more than that she gave him "permission" to process and to feel. She was obviously special in that she was able to accept his idiosyncrasies as a matter of fact and loved him for it. When he lost her, he lost the lamp that would lead him out of the shroud of darkness that enveloped him while working on the horrors that humans manage to inflict on each other.

It is wise for the show not to overuse SY's picturing ability to the point where she single-handedly solves cases. She is still part of a team and her ability enhances the deductive process, rather than overwhelms it. She is still very much a member of a team and a novice in investigative work. I do like where the show is headed in terms of stories and there's generally a decent delegation of tasks across the board.

I suppose we don't really need to comment much more about Chief Choi or Park Sun Eun. They're up to their necks in doggy doodoo. Even to the point of having questionable relationships with gangs. Honestly I find these two as much of a problem or if not more of a problem than the criminals that we're looking at here. I hate to think about what those two got up to to get where they are now.

The big lesson from the kidnapped boy case is that we need to care for those who are vulnerable a lot better than we do. OHJ's question to SY was a provocative one. Why is she especially concerned for this child? Is it because of his impairment? Would she have noticed him if not for her family background? I think there's something to the implications of his comment. There are many people in our society that at the fringes. Depending on where we live or how cocooned we are, they tend to escape our notice. Unless they are part of our reality they are not normally in our frame of reference. Would we care if we didn't have blind friend or have a relative that has Down's syndrome? To balance that of course is that we can't individually help every single person... which is what OHJ might be hinting at. Can we? If we can't... how responsible are we for the lives of others?

The past is a perpetual conundrum for us humans. On the one hand, there is much to be gained from learning the lessons the past has to offer us... history... on the other hand, handled badly, the past becomes a prison or a place or torment that I think is often (not always) self-inflicted. We saw an extreme example of what happens when people can't let go of loved ones who have gone to the other side. The delusion can be dangerous to others. On the up side the past can be a motivating force for good. It can give us a passion for doing good and for seeking the truth. I think it's valid that OHJ wants answers about that fateful night 5 years ago when in his mind there are so many questions still. He lost someone dear to him. For an intelligent, driven man it's hard when answers aren't forthcoming. The same for SY. She needs closure for her mother's accident and that drive has given her the passion for public service. Needless to say we wouldn't be the people that we are (or have the myriad K dramas that we have) if it weren't for the past.

There's definitely a fair bit more to the murder of the gang members. Is Hwa Tae Sik just trying to get his hands on the witness? That may only be part of it. Because from where I'm standing it looks like he's trying to protect the culprit. I'm also wondering if he's trying to create confusion and manipulate OHJ in the Epilogue by doing this. It seems to me that the culprit with the motorcycle helmet is acting on his/her own and HTS is trying to clean up after him/her. A family member perhaps or someone who is considered family exacting vengeance on traitors. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 7

5 hours ago, Prettysup said:

One question, when the witness was hiding from his pursuers inside a room, there was a scene which he was wiping the paints on a painting. Why did he do that?

That exactly  what make me see that he more then innocent  witness  and think that wild thoughts 

That scene made me think he a psycho who in the run of his life do some thing like this 

No in my book it so odd to be normal  he dont give me the normal vibe  too 

@40somethingahjumma

I liked your long post ( really:heart:

You see I am with you about thinking maybe they trying to protect  the witness  not harming him even if I think of different  reason 

More importantly I like your talk about OHJ  emotional  holding , people may think that cause he clam that he not affect like other but you  right seeing all that affect him, understand  all the darkness and the mind of evil people  is hard on him 

I am totally  with you about how his fiancee  was important  balance and light in his life to allow  him to understand  even his own feeling 

I even while watching it live said her correction him about how he talking about victims  was the best, I like her and  I understand how much losing her made him lose everything 

That why I even hoped for romance  to him he so lonely  in a world that only he understand  and no one even understanding him and his suffering, he need to have someone  he can understand and accept him and give him the chance to breath  and rest 

This episode  was important  as you said to understand how much living in the past and not letting  go can destroy you, I think OHJ  give time to talk to that woman  even when he could just arrest  her cause he understand cause he want to set her free and cause he did need to say those words  for himself  too 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

@budgerie mentioned she has problem posting in this thread so I am testing it out, seems to be ok for me?

Btw I am still noticing the amount of layers OHJ wears as compared to the other characters hahaha.. Even the Knetz are commenting maybe he is endorsing winter wear hence he can't take it off?

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor

Oh and we got a new BTS video !!

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

@budgerie mentioned she has problem posting in this thread so I am testing it out, seems to be ok for me?

Btw I am still noticing the amount of layers OHJ wears as compared to the other characters hahaha.. Even the Knetz are commenting maybe he is endorsing winter wear hence he can't take it off?

I think it's a JH thing. Even in interviews you'd see him sitting with his coat on. He was actually asked about it, and he said that due to filming in constantly changing environments, he got used to wearing his coat no matter what. Kinda like his constant sun glasses wearing... I don't know how he does that- I would be dripping with sweat...:sweatingbullets:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, nona88 said:

That why I even hoped for romance  to him he so lonely  in a world that only he understand  and no one even understanding him and his suffering, he need to have someone  he can understand and accept him and give him the chance to breath  and rest 

This episode  was important  as you said to understand how much living in the past and not letting  go can destroy you, I think OHJ  give time to talk to that woman  even when he could just arrest  her cause he understand cause he want to set her free and cause he did need to say those words  for himself  too 

Thank you dear for your kind words. I don't even know how they become as long as they do. :D

Although I don't object to romance for OHJ, I don't think it has to happen for him to heal. If there is someone in his life that can help him connect with his emotional life in the way that I-Su did, without romantic attachments, he can still be helped. His loneliness doesn't have to resolved through romantic love. Sincerity can also be a conduit to a friendship. OHJ doesn't have to be lonely. It was a choice for him to isolate himself. There were practical reasons for doing so at the time. Now, he's back in the force, he can still be lonely despite being surrounded by people unless he decides to turn that into an opportunity for his inner life.

I imagine that it's why SY is so fascinating to him on some level because she is so driven by emotions in a way that he isn't. She practically wears her heart on her sleeve. I also think that coming in contact with the people involved in the various cases can help expedite the process of dealing with the pain that he's been carrying around for 5 years. I can't see romance on the cards at present but I can see her, her dad and OHJ going out on a boat fishing once they get all the answers they are looking for.

I believe the mirror motif in Episode 7 was symbolic of the fact that he saw himself in these hurting individuals. The mirrors showed reflections of deep deep pain/fear.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

I don't think the killings has anything to do with the gangs wars. We clearly saw what the helmet guy did with the bald guy and the other guy whom OHJ saw was also killed in the same manner. The helmet guy is either working on his own or on someone's orders. He also planted the poison in the fish tank in HTS's office.

6 hours ago, nona88 said:

You see I am with you about thinking maybe they trying to protect  the witness  not harming him even if I think of different  reason 

HTS was probably protecting him so he will not spill the beans. This may have to do with the secret of five years ago.

• Like 5

What the secret that gangster  know about 5 years  ago if it was before OHJ fight with the killer and still there no evidence  that the  killer survived  the accident  I was going to say that the secret  how he helped  the police to make the guy is death like giving them some burning body parts

But that useless  now to know, so it not the big secret, so is it about how the accident  wasn't accident??? As I write before maybe two week ago that I dont think the way it ending  in accident was just careless  mistakes from a well planning  killer  so is all that was staged  to end the search of the killer??? 

Did the killer was working for police  taking care of dirty  work and hide it as random killed?? 

Just One thing that I will not accept in logic  side to be the secret 

If they will show us that OHJ  fiancee did survived the accident  and she was a live 

Not cause the romance ship of CSY  and OHJ( let that out I dont care ) 
  but cause the logic  reasons I mean she was trapped in the burning  car that bomb out  even OHJ  who was outside  get throwing  out so strong and get so much damage

Then how about the one that was in the car and no way they could hide and frame  that with all mess that happened in front of team leader and all the police officers  

They could frame the reminds  of body to say it the guy but couldn't  get her out seeing she death when she a life 

And if OHJ  was so suspect that the police  did hide the fact that the killer  maybe still a life and didn't  investigate  the body parts well he will would make sure that his fiancee  die as he dont trust the police  

• Like 4

So, was the case of Hyun Soo wrapped up? Was the sequence of events exactly how OHJ described them? (Kinda love it when he says “It’s just my theory”) In that case, who carried the kid in the yellow bag? Was it always the child molester? Why did the camera not show his face? (apparently he wasn’t limping) I feel like I need to rewatch that ep cause I got confused. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

So, was the case of Hyun Soo wrapped up? Was the sequence of events exactly how OHJ described them? (Kinda love it when he says “It’s just my theory”) In that case, who carried the kid in the yellow bag? Was it always the child molester? Why did the camera not show his face? (apparently he wasn’t limping) I feel like I need to rewatch that ep cause I got confused. 

I can help you with this 

Okay first the one in yellow  bag in the forest wasn't hyun  soo it was the molester  

Let make the event  in the order 

1. Last Time  the molester  was with hyun soo was in the car and then the accident  happen 

2. She saw the kid and thought  he her child and killed the molester 

3. She call the man from feather  factory  to come and help her 

3. While she hide  hyun soo in some place first, the guy who helped  her take the car and the molester  body to the mountain 

4. He warp the molester body in the yellow  bad and go in the mountain  to bury him ( that why they didn't  show his  face they wanted  us to think it the kid in the   bag and the molester who holding him but he was walking fine in that scene we should know the molester  has problem with his leg)

5. The woman also  take the kid after that in yellow  bag ( I guess they get the same bag from the same place) and took him to the toy house 

I hope it help  you 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just watched both episodes with subs.

1. I must say I was surprised by the twist - The sex offender became a ‘victim’ and the abductor was actually the lady lawyer. 

2. And very smart of OHJ to think of finding out more about the lawyer because he thought that the guy from the blanket factory wouldn’t be able to afford a lawyer therefore something is fishy about not just him but the lawyer too. 

3. I love the scene where OHJ confronted the lady lawyer by telling her that her son is already gone, she has to let go. It’s the same as his situation , as if he is speaking to himself to let go of his fiance and I hope he did!

4. Great acting by the child actor :)

5. JH makes me want to become a Profiler too! 

6. How come the gang was able to know how the witness look like? No one saw him isn’t?

7. This case is going to reveal quite a big piece of the puzzle. Can’t wait to find what the link among the commissioner general, HTS, Isu and the chief. 

and now, let me go back and read some of your theories :) 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

okay i did my rational  thinking enough 

now i have the right to back to the romantic view of scene:heart: don't worry not over romantic it still has some objective in it :blush:

• okay the scene when CSY was with kid talking to him and they smiling together and she keep putting the blanket on him in warm and sweet way and OHJ was standing watching it, his face was like a kid, a sad  and lonely kid that watching warm family in front of him and he give the sad and longing feeling of that view. and it maybe amazed him how it ended looking like this he was talking about the chances that the child will be a live and even so he will not making it without big trauma and here he seeing him and CSY smiling in so much warm way ( me was thinking he was wishing to be in the place of that kid in that scene - but it just me :smirk:)

• the scene when he really said that the lover one suffering cause you so lonely and you so suffering and that you can't keep them like this you have to let them go ( free them ) and say you can start over now, it was so important he still suffering from the lost of his fiancee but he aware that he can't live in the past:bawling:, he did understand the different between remembering and longing and taking time to move on and  between to be living on that past all your life

• people saying  he not ready for romance and he not ready to forget his fiancee and i am here saying he will never be ready to forget her, why ??? it the same with CSY  did she was ready to forget her mother?? did  she could be ready to live normal even after 15 years and not make all her  life goal about finding who killed her mother  ??? do we thing OHJ pain and past different from CSY pain ???????? just cause it was a lover in his case and it was her mother in her case ?? just cause she found her dad with her to raise her with love  and warm and OHJ did have anyone???just cause they showing different way to show it ??

it the same CSY can't move in her life without solving that case too , when her friend oppa talk about life , finding goal , finding soul mate ... she said she  doesn't ask or dream for all that she just want one thing, she a young girl and  for the past 15 years she didn't dream or have any life goal beside working hard to be detective and someday finding her mother killer,  no lover not even future wish to have any of all that,  just that one wish to find justice and answer -

• so here what i am saying it not just when OHJ and CSY ready to  forget about their lost one and forget the pain  it when they can move on, it not just cause they can't let go of their pain and thinking about them that mean they not ready yet, it just it suffering not knowing , it not fair to lose someone you love without a proper ending , OHJ know he can''t live in his fiancee shadow all his life but known that doesn't make it less painful remembering her or longing for her it the same with CSY and her mother specially when this two holding guilt too over their love one death 

what i am trying to say beside that CSY have from outside more life and people around her, she  from the inside just like OHJ , she living in the pain , guilt , regret , longing for one moment of her life , one choice that change everything, from the inside she has no life just like him just living trying to find answer , they both the same lost in one moment of their life and feel they cant move one before finding the true, that why it not about being ready since even after they find the true they can be at more peace but they will never forget the lost lover, they will live with them forever 

it not about ready it about finding someone who could be there for you even when it not okay yet, finding someone who can understand you even when you can't , it about finding someone who can let you feel you can start over in life again even with all the pain - is OHJ can start over without finding the missing warm and feeling he had with his lover, no matter how much friend and people around he still the same person who not easy show his feeling  ( he was like this all his life not just cause the accident ), who need someone when he back to home that he  make him show all that and be at easy not back to lonely home 

me here with the romance since i understand it not about when it okay it about it here when  it not okay

since it her mother and it his lover , since she act normal and have life on the outsider and he don't and she has people around her and he don't people think it different , but here i think it the same and having her mother pain and love in her heart for ever is the same like having his lover in his too forever but they both still can find life , love and start over 

okay that was supposed to be light and romantic post :weary: i am sorry i couldn't stop myself after starting written it not like i think about what to write before i do , i get carry away forgive the long and not  light post ( i still respect and understand everyone saying there no room for romance it just my own view of human don't take to the heart please :heart:)

Edited by nona88
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I just think he wanna hide how skinny he is without those coat. lol. We always tend to worried if he lost weight. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2