[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

@serenilmauve

I see that JTBC has set up a MakeStar campaign for the drama to produce a physical album for the show which is neat. It's jammed pack with alot of goodies. I would love to see what's in that photobook. Must be images from the show. I believe the entry for preorder is opened from March 10 to the 31st, although it seems it's also a limited run/print. I hope the ost includes the bgm as well. It cool that theyre actually doing this which isnt suprising given the fact its immensely popular in SKorea. 

I see the ratings dipped slightly for ep 11-12 which isnt bad btw. Those episodes were fun although I think alot really enjoyed the revenge/arrest arc from ep 9-10. I'm excited for the timeskip arc. Hopefully the ratings spikes up because the yt video for ep 13 teaser reached over 2mill views already. Everyone must be excited for it lol. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

@serenilmauve

I see that JTBC has set up a MakeStar campaign for the drama to produce a physical album for the show which is neat. It's jammed pack with alot of goodies. I would love to see what's in that photobook. Must be images from the show. I believe the entry for preorder is opened from March 10 to the 31st, although it seems it's also a limited run/print. I hope the ost includes the bgm as well. It cool that theyre actually doing this which isnt suprising given the fact its immensely popular in SKorea. 

I see the ratings dipped slightly for ep 11-12 which isnt bad btw. Those episodes were fun although I think alot really enjoyed the revenge/arrest arc from ep 9-10. I'm excited for the timeskip arc. Hopefully the ratings spikes up because the yt video for ep 13 teaser reached over 2mill views already. Everyone must be excited for it lol. 

I saw some physical drama OST albums for dramas in SK. They look nice, tbh;) 

It looks like they will be filming almost until the end of the run. Initial reports were early-March, but considering fan photos from the set and that SKH joined to film his scenes just recently (was it March 8th?) it looks like filming and broadcasting almost catch up. 

Also Sae Roy was born in 1987 and Yi Seo 1997 as we know. So, yeah, exactly 10 years.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kimsungrin said:

I always wonder about this scene too and the one with PSRY telling her: "if its that annoying/hard just die." Will we even see it? I dont recall re-reading it after the first scene in the webtoon

I was wondering the same. 

I just started this drama, I just finished episode 8 and I loved the ending. Jo Yi Seo’s entrance in Jang Dae Hee’s office was DAEBAK!!  She has such presence, that you can’t deny that she is cute. I watch this drama because of Jo Yi Seo. I love her character because with somber faults, she is learning to be a bit more caring. Sure it is hard for her to understand at times and I kinda blame the mom. The mom let her do as she chooses. I sometimes wonder if she is that way because she is only living her. When JSY’s thought are vocalize, I feel for her because she is lonely and hasn’t found her purpose in life but with PS, she is learning about sympathy and trying to understand because of him. This character is what I hope to mature the most from the drama. That one sentence about how hard it is to live. There are other thoughts of hers that makes me wish she finds happiness.  Where can I read this web toon please DM me with the title. 

I love the way she looks at him. :wub::wub:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f291abb599b2448d8708c

• Like 4

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3074818

‘Itaewon Class’ finds wide appeal on TV: Loyal fans of the hit web comic praise the JTBC show for being spot-on

Mar 12,2020

11195827.jpg

From left, actors Park Seo-jun, Kim Da-mi, Kwon Na-ra, and Yu Je-myeong play characters Park Saeroyi, Jo Yi-seo, Oh Soo-ah and Jang Dae-hee. [JTBC]

“The victim of a big company’s abuse of power overcame a hardship and managed to open his own business,” Jo Yi-seo says at the beginning of episode 11 of the hit drama series “Itaewon Class” currently airing on JTBC. “It’s an inspiring story. And everyone loves success stories like this.” 

What the character says has proven to be true. Based on the popular web comic of the same name, the story is a simply structured revenge story of a young man and his start-up pub fighting against his powerful opponent Jang Dae-hee, the perpetrator of his father’s death who is also a CEO of Jangga, the largest food conglomerate in Korea.  

But a successful novel or web comic with a devoted following doesn’t always translate into a hit on television or in theaters. Dedicated fans can be picky about how their favorite characters are portrayed on screen and sensitive to changes in the plot.  

But the potential success of “Itaewon Class” may have been previewed when fans rejoiced at the news that the web comic’s cartoonist, Gwang Jin, would be participating as a scriptwriter for the drama series. 

After the first episode aired at the end of January, fans took to the web to say that they were blown away by the story and the characters. What fans were most amazed by was how well the actors portrayed their characters. 

The latest episode drew a 13.4 percent viewership rating, an impressive rating for a show on cable television. The channel has not had such high ratings since the finale of the hit drama “SKY Castle” last year. 

Bringing the comic to life

11195845.jpg
The original characters in the webtoon “Itaewon Class.” Fans of the web comic have complimented the cast’s striking resemblance to the two-dimensional characters. [SCREEN CAPTURE]

The physical similarities of actors Park Seo-jun and Kim Da-mi to the main characters Park Saeroyi and Jo Yi-seo were among the first details that fans of the web comic praised about the show - especially their hairstyles.

Park uploaded a video on his YouTube channel showing how he cut his hair to resemble the iconic cropped hair of Saeroyi. To maintain the hairstyle, which remains unchanged until the end of the web comic, Park says that he has had to cut his hair every four days for the past six months. During a press conference, the actor advised viewers not to copy his hairstyle because of all of the work it requires. 

Despite his warnings, social media has flooded with pictures of people showcasing their versions of Saeroyi’s hairstyle. 

Yi-seo’s iconic bobbed haircut with bleached ends also earned approval from fans of the original web comic. Although the character in the comic starts with a blonde bob hair, fans say that the character’s look in the show suits the actor better while still retaining the character’s image. 

“I think the actors pull off the character’s looks around 80 to 90 percent of the way,” said 26-year-old Pyo Soo-jin, an avid web comic fan. “Kim is absolutely perfect as Yi-seo - she’s so adorable. I also love how other characters such as Jang Geun-soo and Jang Geun-won also match how they look in the comic series. Park Seo-jun is also okay as Saeroyi, but I think he still lacks the solidness that the character possesses. ”

Another 26-year-old fan of the web comic, Son Mi-ri, said that she immediately latched onto the drama once its started airing.

“I had such fun reading the web comic that I immediately started watching the drama even though I don’t really watch much television. I think the biggest attraction of the series is its perfect cast - each character’s charisma comes through the screen,” Son said. 

Culture critic Jeong Deok-hyun classified the protagonist Saeroyi as “an exception from the usual representation of youth nowadays.” 

“In most stories, young people are portrayed as either frustrated or discouraged characters,” he said. “But Saeroyi is different. He is determined - he has a 15-year plan. Although he has to start from the bottom, he doesn’t give up, and works to achieve his goal, no matter how difficult it is to get there. [Comparing that to] Jang Geu-rae from [the hit 2014 drama series] ‘Misaeng’ - he struggles to adapt to the traditional system and eventually submits to it, whereas Saeroyi breaks free from the system, steered by only his own principles on his way to his goals.”

Cross-generational appeal 

But fans of the web comic aren’t the only ones tuning in to “Itaewon Class.” As it turns out, Saeroyi is apparently a star among older viewers as well. 

“My mom and I are watching the show together, and she tells me that I could learn a thing or two from Saeroyi,” reads a comment on clip of the show uploaded on YouTube. 

“I like to see how Saeroyi overcomes his hardships and steadfastly moves forward,” a viewer in her fifties who wished to remain anonymous said. “I can also see that he is a good leader. He cares for his staff, who are considered social minorities - such as a transgender woman and an ex-convict - and guides them wisely.”

According to culture critic Kim Sung-soo, Saeroyi’s principles - justice, his strict standard of right and wrong, and revenge - are very familiar and appealing to older viewers. 

“These beliefs were very popular in the patriarchal society ruled by men,” Kim said. “But the older generation lived through some of the most turbulent eras in Korean history. They went through the June [1987] Democratic Uprising, and after that, everything changed so quickly. Would they have been able to stand by their values? It would have been hard for them. They might have made other choices, and may be living vicariously through Saeroyi.” 

Another viewer in her fifties, Song Ye-rim, says she was hooked by the gripping story. 

“I can concentrate on the story regardless of its development,” Song said. “Although it may be a revenge story, the protagonist still does everything while standing by his principles. And I liked that the story isn’t too centered around romance.”

“All in all, it’s a revenge story, and that’s a very conventional and familiar genre that everyone likes,” Jeong said. “But what’s fresh about this one is that it’s a new style where the protagonist doesn’t perish along with their opponent. He doesn’t do whatever it takes for him to get his revenge. Instead, he plans it thoroughly and realizes his plan step by step, while still being righteous and taking control of his goals.”

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

————————

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 03. 10. 8:07 PM

"Itaewon Class" OSTs create a sensation on digital music charts

0311_%EB%93%9C%EB%9D%BC%EB%A7%88%EC%99%8

The "Itaewon Class" OSTs not only make the drama more attractive but they also eye at high positions on digital music charts. 

The Fri-Sat drama "Itaewon Class" (JTBC) has succeeded regarding both its sensational level and viewership ratings. The film also received a lot of attention from music fans by continuously releasing OSTs that perfectly matched the storyline's content.

The OST with the most remarkable achievement is the song "Start" by Gaho when it was ranked at No. 5 (by March 7) on the weekly chart. Matching every scene thanks to the lyrics covering the drama's story, the track contributes to portraying the main characters's confidence in winning all challenges with the positive energy no matter what happens. In addition, the song "Someday, The Boy" performed by Kim Feel is also firmly holding high rankings on the digital music charts shortly after its release.

OST Part 3 "Diamond" performed by Ha Hyun Woo of Guckkasten is also showing a formidable table-turning strength. Featuring the distinctively deep yet explosive vocal of Ha Hyun Woo on a subtle rock sound background, the song has been used as the main background music for Park Seo Joon (as Park Sae Ro Yi) at the beginning of the drama, thereby bringing strong influence when representing the image of an increasingly mature Sae Ro Yi not losing faith despite facing Jangga.

On the March 7 episode, the song created an impressive ending as it was inserted into the scene recording the poem Kim Da Mi (as Jo Yi Seo) recited to cheer Lee Joo Young (as Ma Hyun Yi) and her confident look when she overcame Lee Joo Hyun's challenge. In particular, Ha Hyun Woo's powerful vocal and high pitch made the drama's atmosphere more dramatic and intense. Soon after the episode was broadcast, "Diamond" entered the top of real-time most searched keywords and also claimed No. 1 on major digital music charts.

"Say" by Yoon Mi Rae is a track that accentuates a heartbreaking loveline in the drama "Itaewon Class". Right after its release, the song made it to various music charts and is showing an upward trend. With her delicate and soulful vocal living up to the title "first-generation OST queen", Yoon Mi Rae gently yet passionately expressed Kim Da Mi's deep feelings for Park Seo Joon and is constantly touching the hearts of listeners.

"Nothing I Say" by "digital music dinosaur" Crush made an entry on charts right after the release. With the consecutive appearance of talented singers, the OST set of "Itaewon Class" is getting high expectations.

"Itaewon Class" is broadcast on JTBC channel at 10:50 pm (KST) every Friday and Saturday.

Reporter Hwang So Young hwang.soyoung@jtbc.co.kr

Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Hello

I just started watching IC, i am now at ep. 5.

It is surprising good. I find it a lot better than WWWSK. Although i am more interested in the scenes  with PSJ and KDM i want to see how their story will evolved. :)

• Like 2

Hai... i get SA is not a bad person.  I just feel she lost her timing and opportunity with SRY.  She and SRY is like some of the relationship we may know... too long and already lost the spark feelings but still cling onto it without any goal.

I understand people feel the pain if SRY did not end up with her.  But they both at fault.  One is too engrossed with revenge and the other too scared to let go her successful career to help the only person she loves. ((Shrug))  It is good to be young.  You can be reckless.

About SY?  She let go all her opportunites to support SRY because she love him.  Can SA ever do that?  Give up her everything to support SRY?

I guess if we can here the thoughts of SRY then we will know when his heart has shifted subconciously.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

As I am waiting excitedly to watch Episodes 13 & 14, I decided to rewatch all the previous episodes.  One thing I noticed in this most recent viewing is something that I have missed up until now.  Throwing this out as a theory, not promoting any particular ship.  It seems to me that both JYS and OSA are two sides of the same coin.  They are both self absorbed individuals focused on obtaining their own interests above anyone else's.  The only real difference is what brought about their personality.  In the case of JYS, it is brought about by Nature.  Because of her sociopathy, her brain thinks physically in this way.  While in the case of OSA, it is brought about by Nurture.  Based upon her being placed in and orphanage and having to look out for herself, she developed the skills and personality necessary to survive with her disadvantages.

What I have noticed is that both of them are trying in their own ways to make a connection with PSR.  They are both trying to overcome their Nature/Nurture disadvantage in order to establish that special loving relationship.  More than anything I feel compassion for them both.  It's just too bad that PSR is not actually a pair fo twins.  It would have been nice if both JYS and OSA were able to find their special person.   Obviously my theory could go down the tubes, depending on how JYS and OSA act in the remaining 4 episodes.  However, looking forward to the time jump and the progression of our characters.

• Like 7

@larrysouth I actually think, that all characters kinda like “same coin, different sides”. You can pair almost all of them and see, that in a lot of things they’re similar or have similar goals, but what at the end distinguishes them it’s their actions. I think writer is trying to say, that everything is about our choices. 

Maybe that’s the reason why Jang Dang Hee so obsessed with idea to make Park Sae Roy kneel.  He wants proof, that he lived right (as he said before “all my decisions were right”), but Sae Roy so far only proving, that he went south in his life and was wrong in his principles. That you can build something big out of something small without compromising your beliefs. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

@larrysouth

The difference between JYS & SA is the 'effort'.

To me, SA understands him to a certain degree but doesnt necessarily connect with him. The thing is SA has the chance/opportunity to be with SRY but she keeps backing out. Like with the phone call to the

police, which she didnt do, but wants SRY to hate her instead of self-pity. SA likes the idea of occupying SRY heart/mind, hence she always ask if SRY likes her & hearing 'I like you' from him. If a good honest man like SRY likes her then she thinks she mustn't be so bad. She doesnt confess that she likes him either. But with JYS, she knows what she wants. She's trying to change even if its self-serving & wants to connect with SRY the only way she knows how. Even after the rejection, JYS immediately went back to work, asked for a break, but immediately came back to help SRY during the turmoil. She understands the depth of his struggles. SA hasnt quite figured what she wants to do. Like at the dinner date when she said 'what if' she quits her job & worked with SRY at Danbam instead. Then episodes later, she has a resignation letter to quit, but she doesnt enact on it. SA even asked SRY to drop everything. Unlike JYS, SA has all these 'what if' scenarios. She's passive in her chase while JYS is active. Like @serenilmauve said, it's about the action/choices the characters make. At this point of the story, SA is all talk but JYS is both the talk & walk. 

Btw, I like that JYS tells SRY that she likes him & loves him alot lol. SRY is someone who probably isnt used to hearing that(besides from his dad) specifically in an openly romantic manner & hopefully he realizes that hes deserving of love/to be loved. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@serenilmauve

I looked at the bts and thought the same lol. I think it has to do with the cuts & editing. One thing I noticed  in the bts shot, the viewers can see the full scope of the scene from that angle with JYS walking out of the restaurant as she looks behind then proceeds to run as SRY yells her name. In the actual scene, its cut abruptly to a close-up shot to where we only see SRY yelling her name from the door & runs out lol.

KDM is such a good crier. She reacts so well to dialogue & cries effortlessly. I love when she wipes her tears. She so cuuute. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

@AsveriaPSJ

It's bcs ILL always do the same moves :lol:

@serenilmauve

Agree. I like the confession making. PSJ gives advice on how they should do it (as expected from Park Idea and Park Detail :lol:). Also KDM plans in detail for their gestures. Like she would look down when saying a certain line, and then look up to PSJ and so on. They have a serious and detail discussion about it. As a result, we could see an outstanding performance from them, even without BGM, just their raw emotions, it's still heartbreaking to see :tears:

• Like 7