[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

On 3/8/2020 at 3:41 AM, greenwatch08 said:

Btw, I thoroughly enjoyed this ep. Highlight is definitely MHY and SRY & JYS's relationship. Theres so much to say about SRY & JYS but I love that this ep focus on MHY. Shes so lucky to have SRY as a boss who's understanding & patient. Also, GS just went bonkers or? What he did to MHY is disgusting. She had almost a panic attack being blind sided by the ordeal & people were so nasty. Those ladies in the bathroom are straight up trash. I was fuming for MHY. She was the kindest to him & this is what he does. His decisions baffles me lol. I love that everyone showed out in support for MHY. Loved that the ep. started with MHY supporting JYS & ends with JYS supporting MHY.

@greenwatch08  Thank you for your thoughts.  I have a transgender sibling and so my sibling and I have experienced so many issues for the past several years.  I think what many folks forget is that transgenderism is the result of gender dysphoria, which is a health issue.  What MHY did for gender reassignment surgery is one of the medical treatments available to a person with gender dysphoria.   Many people who I have dealt with have expressed to me that transgenderism is something sexual or an alternative lifestyle.  Hence why the episode demonstrated so many negative comments and stereotypes by the various characters on the cooking contest set.  Obviously everyone has a right to their own opinion, but we should never forget the circumstances under which someone is a transgender and what they suffer.  I agree with you that what GS did was reprehensible.  What GS, did was not only a very wrong thing to do to someone he claims to be a friend, it also violated her rights to privacy relating to a medical condition.  One of the things I have really liked about Itaewon Class is that it is not afraid to bring up controversial issues.

• Love 1
  • Insightful 2

@larrysouth

If i can physically drop kick everytime they say senseless sh^t, I would lol. I detest transphobes. Everyone has a right to say whatever they want but it doesnt make it right especially when it is degrading/belittling. I'm glad for MHY that she has a strong support system, especially from SRY whose been so kind to her through & through. I love that he called her brave & a pretty girl because she really is. Shes a diamond. Wished I got to see a glimpse of their history together when he was still doing manual labor. MHY's food must really had an impact on SRY.

@reddragon 

SRY & SA relationship up to this point is head-scratching eyerolling. Terrible people tends to gravitate towards SRY like a magnet & I don't think hes aware of it lol. He needs a month-paid vacation on a private island by himself.

@serenilmauve

I see what you're saying that the show is depicting toxic relationship but it should illustrate that it's okay to cut ties/not associate yourself with people from the past at this point in the story. Their relationship is the one of thing that's hindering both of these character's development, especially SRY since hes the main character. IC is all about second chances & moving forward but it's been 12 ep. The writing should show his gradual intolerance and shift in attitude towards her but its the same everytime. I love SRY to bits but his undaunting & unconditional support for SA is mind baffling. He doesnt seem remotely disappointed at her at all? Even when she told him to give up everything for her when she couldn't do the bare minimum? He even apologises to her immediately when she should be one to. I noticed he coddles her feelings alot, tiptoeing around not to make her feel bad. SA is a pretty much a plant. I dont even dislike her character, but when she told SRY to drop everything(his entire life plan which includes his revenge & Danbam) to come to her so they can be happy is the most condescending bullsh^t thing <_<. The nonsensical audacity she has. Shes fortunate SRY is a good hearted person & understanding. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

@greenwatch08 Like a lot of others, I, too, am frustrated with SRY and OSA's "relationship."  I like your point about IC being about second chances and yet these two cannot move on because they refuse to cut ties with each other.  My take on this (and I have not read the webtoon so I'm just going off the drama) is that SRY cannot cut his tie to OSA because she's one of his last remaining connections to his father.  I think that at this point, his "feelings" for her are more a habit than real, genuine feelings.  However, his life and growth has been stunted in that his father was killed and then he went off to prison.  He didn't get the normal experiences with a safety net that most teenagers have as they transition to adulthood.  Even before his life fell apart, he was pretty stubborn and probably had his own psychological issues.  I don't think it's normal for someone to be as stubborn and disassociated from others as he is.  Actually, that part of his character somewhat confuses me because he has this incredibly strong sense of a black/white wrong vs right that makes him intercede on behalf of others when he sees a "wrong" happening.  However, he's not completely empathetic towards others.  It's more like it's the right vs wrong that bothers him rather than what people feel.

I did not like OSA and have a hard time understanding her.  In Episode 12, I thought I saw some redeeming signs in her, like her anger towards GS on behalf of the Danbam team.  However, her behavior still frustrates me to no end.  I think she is scared to let go of her security (which is Jangga), and I'm not sure if she really actually likes SRY, or if she is also afraid to cut ties with him because of who he is in relation to his father.  And, I think she also feels like she can't cut ties with him because of the guilt that she feels towards him.  It's like the detective--his guilt made him work with SRY and supply goods to SRY, but he couldn't (until recently) do the one thing that SRY actually needed him to do.  OSA feels guilt towards SRY and SRY's father so she stays near him.  However, her fear of being a helpless orphan keeps her firmly controlled by Jangga.

I AM SO LOVING THIS DRAMA.  And I'm dying to know what will happen next.

• Like 4

@jechoi1

That's another thing. SRY definitely have some psychological thing happening, especially in the way he perceives his relationship with people but the writing barely touches upon that/builds on it but its already late into the show, plus theres a timeskip. I know hes stubborn but sometimes as a person you can only tolerate so much lol. Like @serenilmauve said, it reads toxic. The shows has illustrate his disappointment in SA before but the way its handle makes SRY & SA relationship to eachother head scratching. It's like hes disappointed in her somewhat, but then he apologizes to her immediately, then he goes to her to make sure shes okay and has nice small talks/dinner with her when she wouldnt do the same/put forth that energy. With the nonsense SA said to him, she has not remotely apologise, atleast from what I recall. Like I said, she is fortunate that SRY even allows her in his space. I want to SRY to be happy, but not with SA by his side. Im just glad he has Danbam crew who cares about his wellbeing. Seems like SA still working for J Co. at the timeskip so my point still stands that she didnt have guts to quit which is rich/ironic coming from her when she said Danbam crew can work anywhere & not with SRY if they're having a hard time.

• Like 4

@AsveriaPSJ

Love that scene. Wished it was the longer cut/full scene. Really like the way KDM cried & how she looked at PSJ. It's sooo precious. Both of their ears were super red lol. JYS's love for SRY is either endearing or heartbreaking lol. The fact that she confessed to

him, got rejected, but didnt run away & continue to like/love him unconditionally & stayed by his side even after the timeskip(5-7yrs later?). I dont think I can handle another rejection lol. Im just happy he has someone he can depend on/work with even during the tough times who can carry his burdens & success. It seems SRY still has lingering feelings for SA at the timeskip.

I wonder if SA will confess? Would SRY accept her? There still 4 episodes so anything can happen lol. *heavy sweating*

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

I see what you're saying that the show is depicting toxic relationship but it should illustrate that it's okay to cut ties/not associate yourself with people from the past at this point in the story. Their relationship is the one of thing that's hindering both of these character's development, especially SRY since hes the main character. IC is all about second chances & moving forward but it's been 12 ep. The writing should show his gradual intolerance and shift in attitude towards her but its the same everytime. I love SRY to bits but his undaunting & unconditional support for SA is mind baffling. He doesnt seem remotely disappointed at her at all? Even when she told him to give up everything for her when she couldn't do the bare minimum? He even apologises to her immediately when she should be one to. I noticed he coddles her feelings alot, tiptoeing around not to make her feel bad. SA is a complete nuisance at this point. Shes nothing but a plant. I dont even dislike her character, but when she told SRY to drop everything(his entire life plan which includes his revenge & Danbam) to come to her so they can be happy is the most condescending bullsh^t thing <_<. The nonsensical audacity she has. Shes fortunate SRY is a good hearted person & understanding. 

He would’ve shown resentment if he saw something wrong with her actions. But the thing is Sae Roy thinks he is the one, who is selfish in their relationship. Like she is telling him “let’s be happy” and he is saying “sorry, I can’t be”. Plus, he knows all very well, that Soo Ah is not on his side. If Yi Seo tried to say to him something like that, you think his reaction would’ve been as mild? Should I say, that liking Oh Soo Ah it’s like a habit for him at this point, but because of his innocence and inability to process his own feelings and happiness (due to how he spend his last 10 years) he can’t even tell what’s going on? 
I’m actually very curious how writer will end things between them and on what kind of note. After all he added a lot of stuff between them. So it should be only natural for him to also end it  on bigger note, than in webtoon. At least I hope he understands it...

• Like 4

@serenilmauve

When SA said that to him, I grinded my teeth lol. If JYS had said that, I think he'd be even moreso angry because he puts all his trust in her but then again JYS wouldnt ever say those things so bless her loyal heart lol. The things SA say isnt wrong in his eye but it sure irks me. I want to see his growth more in his experiences after the timeskip.

I just cant see him cutting ties with SA. After the timeskip, it seems he still has contact with SA, which is understandable since theyre friends. I'm curious to see how it ends too. Like you say, it might just be out of habit of liking SA at this point but it sure is a long time lol (15-17yrs with timeskip?). I know that revenge is his top priority/doesnt want to open up to anyone emotionally, heck even to SA lol. I think the closest he'd ever open up emotionally to anyone was JYS lol. But I'm glad he does have Danbam by his side. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, tok-soompi said:

So i guess the 1st episode of consultation will be seen before we have a skip to long hair YS?

Cool Sweet Night OST.  Cant wait to find out what scene this song will be playing.

I always wonder about this scene too and the one with PSRY telling her: "if its that annoying/hard just die." Will we even see it? I dont recall re-reading it after the first scene in the webtoon

• Like 4

@NaYouSabi? don't worry about me. I am 4 episodes behind. I have read the spoilers. So just watching.

Real life is too time consuming at present with the coronovirus everywhere. Depending on which part of the world. But when I am perpetually seeing potential coronovirus patients at work daily don't care what YiSeo does. So she can do whatever. Or be whoever. 

I have other issues and other priorities. I am catching Itaewon class in 10 min bursts or even 5 and can't sit down for a whole episode since I also have work tests; no matter how crazy YS or GS are real life people are worse. 

Have a good week. I think I will still be behind by the time the Sat episode ends.

• Like 2