[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

Today's episode excited me again. I always admire Park Saeroy, but especially today, he impressed me once again. I just love it when he calmed down Mahyuni. He is the best boss ever! I know that in fact he is also in the learning process not to become a selfish boss, so he doesn't force his will even though he knew Danbam's future was in Mahyuni's hands at that time. I like when he said to Mahyuni "it's okay to run away" but then clarified it right away "ah run away? but you don't do anything wrong". He might be full of anger to get his revenge and always being so serious about it but at the same time he's full of affection and gentle. I like how he always talks softly to his people. I like his calm voice just like Yiseo said. Where in this cruel world can I find a boss like him? :wub:

And the moment when Mahyuni entered the competition room, walked with his head held high, grabbed the mic and started her annoucement to everyone that she is a transgender, she's like she just kicked people who pouted her and also Geunsoo who tried to knocked her down right in their @$$! She was so cool!

And i love how yiseo supported her from far with poem yet it gave her even more strength. And Toni is the grandson of the crazy rich granny! Every single Danbam's people is just cool just the way they are. They got each other's back. I know Seungkwon will have his own moment too.

It was a fun episode ^_^

I'd like to thank Gwangjin for such inspiring story and also director and actors who made what i watched even more amazing than what i read. 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2

I must say, SRY and MYI (or PSJ and LYJ if you prefer) are very shippable :wub:. Not that I ship them - because YS is my all time favorite - but their pair looks good :DThat scene where he comforted her was so beautiful. Both actors are great!

• Like 3

I have to say after episode 12, Sae Ro Yi, Yi Seo and especially Ma Hyun Hyi have reached a level of bada$$ery that other mere mortals like Soo Ah and Geun Soo can’t even hope to reach...

The trailer of Itaewon Class really showed true about Soo Ah’s character, Sae Ro Yi really shines too much for her, she thought this latest move of Jang Dae Hee is enough to destroy Sae Ro Yi but yeah she was wrong... Sae Ro Yi really embodies the saying “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”... 

And Yi Seo, I love how she was able to bounce back from her hurt and I love that the reason that she was able to do that was because she really does love Sae Ro Yi (take that people who said she has an unhealthy obsession lol) and she does want to support him in his goal. I loved that Hyun Hyi comforted her.  I love how Yi Seo understood that feelings are not give and take, I love that even with his outright rejection of her feelings she still retains that hopefulness that she first experience when she realizes she loves him, I try to think if it were me, would I still feel the way she does and I think it all depends on who is the man, Sae Ro Yi is indeed worth loving and protecting I have to say, if it were any other man, I would just find one who would reciprocate my feelings lol, 

I love how there is a running theme since episode 11 and now in 12 of Sae Ro Yi not liking hearing insults or slurs about Yi Seo even when it was Yi Seo who said them lol, like when Yi Seo said I’m a heartless b***h, he reacted and start to try to stop her and then said you are not mean and coldhearted... then in ep 12, when he shut everyone down and said it was his decision and it wasn’t Yi Seo’s fault, I like that about him...

I love how Yi Seo comforted Hyun Hyi by giving her the fighting words she needed to finally be in the light and stare everyone in the face and say bring it to anyone who tries to shame her, lol Geun Soo’s face was just the icing on the cake, I guess he can never truly understand what true strength is even if it stares him in the face, I thought he gets it when he saw Sae Ro Yi’s strength and Yi Seo’s but I guess not, I’m glad that Hyun Hyi finally found out that she is brave and strong all along...I love Hyun Hyi and Yi Seo’s love for each other and how they are now truest friends... Both Hyun Hyi and Yi Seo really need this kind of friendship as both are strong and prickly but with each other they don’t have to tiptoe because they know that each of them can take it...

As for the loveline, I have to say Sae Ro Yi really doesn’t stand a chance in not falling in love with Yi Seo, Yi Seo is fast becoming or is already someone he truly relies on the most, and then to be bombarded with a love freely given like that? Yi Seo is like a juggernaut of love and sweetness to someone who has since just been full of bitterness and revenge, he doesn’t know it fully but Yi Seo truly gives him hope... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wisely1300 said:

I never said he shouldn’t revenge, but right now he is completely consumed by that revenge. You do not find happiness in revenge. It’s a cliche because it is true. If you do find “happiness”, it will be a twisted kind of happiness. There’s a reason that thought has been repeated ad nauseum all over the world.

I agree, and I think SRY will realize this at the end. It was already foreshadowed with his drink still tasting bitter even after the evil son went to prison. I think he will defeat Dae Hee but that won't be enough he will have to forgive and let it go to find peace. 

43 minutes ago, ari_bian said:

As for the loveline, I have to say Sae Ro Yi really doesn’t stand a chance in not falling in love with Yi Seo, Yi Seo is fast becoming or is already someone he truly relies on the most, and then to be bombarded with a love freely given like that? Yi Seo is like a juggernaut of love and sweetness to someone who has since just been full of bitterness and revenge, he doesn’t know it fully but Yi Seo truly gives him hope... 

If that’s how feelings work, then so many  second male leads wouldn’t have had to face heartbreak. If that’s how feelings work, then simply doing everything for someone and staying by their side will make them love you. However, love is irrational af, and makes no sense at times. Just because she does all this DOES NOT mean that he will definitely love her. I do understand that this ship is probably endgame, but even if he stays liking Soo Ah, that’s not unrealistic either, and in fact, would show that there aren’t really any thing you can do to guarantee love.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wisely1300 said:

If that’s how feelings work, then so many  second male leads wouldn’t have had to face heartbreak. If that’s how feelings work, then simply doing everything for someone and staying by their side will make them love you. However, love is irrational af, and makes no sense at times. Just because she does all this DOES NOT mean that he will definitely love her. I do understand that this ship is probably endgame, but even if he stays liking Soo Ah, that’s not unrealistic either, and in fact, would show that there aren’t really any thing you can do to guarantee love.

Sigh, I was not talking about feelings in general, I was talking about Sae Ro Yi in particular, the fact that Yi Seo always affects him strongly emotionally much more than Soo Ah, is very revealing already, add that with him already relying on Yi Seo more than anyone, he truly can’t resist responding to Yi Seo’s declarations of loving him... not a sweeping generalization but what I can see where Sae Ro Yi is heading to and not because it’s by default because they are endgame but because in the context of the story and what this character has been through, one can understand why he will fall in love with Yi Seo...

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, wisely1300 said:

And when you live completely consume by something hateful, you’ll never find happiness. I never said he shouldn’t revenge, but right now he is completely consumed by that revenge. You do not find happiness in revenge. It’s a cliche because it is true. If you do find “happiness”, it will be a twisted kind of happiness. There’s a reason that thought has been repeated ad nauseum all over the world.

I see it as an... "all consuming passion".... to beat the odds of crushing JDH and Jangga.

This propelled him to get this far... and will achieve even more... as the dust of (so called) "revenge" finally settles.  Along the way, it made him into a better person and business achiever; and made some odd looking people do well in their own lives.

His dad was as forgiving and an achiever in his own right... but never reached his level of success. So, by his dad's standards...he has already won.

Note, there was no use of violence, intimidation, nor foul-play... even if he has the leverage and connection to do so.... thru the mob boss cellmate.  But never chose that path.

He stuck to his plan to be methodical, fair, humane and businesslike,  which is why his "quest" (or conquest) so far is.... positive, constructive and fruitful.

Now all he needs is win the "right" girl.  :sweatingbullets:... is that ...SA, YS ...or HY? :w00t:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Weird how some fans are trying to justify Soo Ah's words to PSR about him giving up his revenge. Rationally speaking, it's normal for him to seek revenge just put yourself in his shoes. Wouldn't you want revenge on the person who helped cover your father's murderer? What we have is her wanting him to give up on his revenge, but what about her? She can't give up her job for PSR? All I see is a woman who is so self-absorbed. A relationship should be all about give and take from both parties, and in this situation, we see SA doing a lot of taking but no giving. She continues to want PSR to sacrifice himself for her as if him being okay with her working at Jangga wasn't already enough. A relationship like this in real life would be considered toxic and would never work out in the long-run.  

• Like 7
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

Honestly among all characters, GS is the most boring. He’s very predictable and the only character development he have is becoming evil. It doesn’t help that his character is boring as well, like every time it’s his scene i always gets bored. I just can’t seem to pity him even from the start of the series. 

• Like 2

Love how everyone in Danbam corralled in times of crisis. They're each other's support. I like what Yi Seo impart to Hyun Yi as well, it was the ultimate boost to get her back on track. Yi Seo should be a Ted Talk coach or something LoL.  

Geun Soo is indeed his father's son no doubt tsk. Not surprised as Jangga is known for their underhanded tactics. Well well well Tony hit jackpot alright! His grandma's rich LoL. I think I'm fine even if things don't work out (romantically) for both Yi Seo/Royi. There's no rule that states that all soulmates have to be lovers.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Josh Marquez said:

Honestly among all characters, GS is the most boring. He’s very predictable and the only character development he have is becoming evil. It doesn’t help that his character is boring as well, like every time it’s his scene i always gets bored. I just can’t seem to pity him even from the start of the series. 

Agreed. Another problem is the actor's acting. I noticed this as well with Kwon Nara. I first watched him in Sky Castle and he did a decent job there, however, he doesn't really have much of a range, nor the experience to pull off this kind of role. Meanwhile, Kwon Nara's acting was okay/good in Suspicious Partner, but in this drama she seems to be lacking. Like someone else here said, she has that deer-in-the headlights look which is off-putting..

• Like 5

National ratings

Top 10 Household Watching Rates
(Analytical standard: National, paid platform joining units, unit:%)
ranking channel program rating
One JTBC Geumto Drama (Itaewon Class) 13.398

Seoul

Top 10 Household Watching Rates
(Based on analysis: metropolitan area, households with paid platform, unit:%)
ranking channel program rating
One JTBC Geumto Drama (Itaewon Class) 14.817

After 5 constant weeks of ratings increse every episode,  finally we had  a week where 11th episode saw decrease from 10th and 12th saw decrease from 11th.

But good point . It is still over 13% which is massive. Last week and 11th episode were slow which affected this week's ratings. But 12th episode has picked up pace. So i hope it grows next week

Btw whole season average 130.804÷12= 10.900%

We are  averaging  10.9% already. I wont predict it beating sky castle or anything. But it still has chance to reach 20%. So hope next week it touches 15%

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

ep. 11-12 were my favorites in terms of building characters and it's kinda bummer to see that episodes were Toni and Hyun Yi got development were when ratings decided to drop... I maybe have different taste than most, but I simply Ioved, how we spend so much time actually seeing DanBam members being there for each other and investment problems as background to truly bring the team together this week. And that step in other direction (not yet forward) for Sae Roy and Yi Seo was better done in drama than in webtoon, imo. Just like why Hyun Yi joined competition and was so determined to come up as a winner. 

65774d98c3990677cdf54a14c9b8cd5d9db2dc06a20fbea6d8296088193e6ba458d1ae3514120471
Spoiler

5eedc3969227ee627167c2041a00fcfe0b519f1cf7b46024cc6706f8636812d1c0e44e27573ce3d7
2dcc3961610cf8e72541a68d97dacf53771074d55d5fb186c90977052af5d0b804d5142223d769c0
846790d6807dedeebb782c5e404c1c9181a7e70f2fe9cd645e383fd0e87ba2226bd065fc55dfc7c9
b71733119b7f9c90f5be9eddebe0732ab288214f45244cd032fc0b0b3d042ed9550ea362f1941c4e

credit: kdramanewbie

These episodes truly when I can say a lot about all characters and I will later. 

I just want point out, that Soo Ah said this week with her own mouth "that if boss is bad, in this age and time, they could work somewhere else"... so "surviving" not an excuse anymore;))
And I Gun Soo did some of the lowest thing ever in this drama, because unlike his father and brother he was once "a dear friend". But I still think, he is just a stupid, confused and heartbroken kid. I just don't think he will ever be able to make up to Hyun Yi for what he did. 
  • Like 8
  • Awesome 1

615413f40463adf05a57d51d300b2b18b97d9aff
f8ac3a888bcb29c22b87603524e990e6a095e941
b412b098688e4a156d5918be51d019b78d4855d7
Spoiler

a9f907663a776b0e43f1e272fa04309cf15c68a1
a9dd8c09e0e3d082a572c3110005983984007ed7
4b924b341d012684cd4f23b6915c19796f385f3c
9d7596b14b366f686ef8c44352fb38784c5b430d
a7acdf86583cad9548d6dba8fd88c2f52182ee82

credit: kdramanewbie

Yi Seo casually remanding Sae Roy, that she loves him and he can be loved made my day.

Can native English speakers help me here? Or anyone, who knows Korean? I thought they made a mistake, like "see you in your dreams", like, huh? But now I think she meant, that they will meet in his dreams aka she wished him to see her in his dreams?
  • Like 6
  • Love 5

What a "hot thread" especially after watching last night's episode.  There are two scenes that impressed me the most as mentioned by many here - I love how PSR's phone conversation answered both YS and SA's situation.  It clearly showed how both women reacted differently to the current situation.  Will it make SR's see the differences of both women's perspective in assisting him in his mission and  therefore might affect his decision later in choosing his life partner?  Hmmm I'll wait and see.  I also like how he reacted (his facial expression) when YS said "I love you" during their phone conversation (when YS was in Jeju Do)  Yes, YS got it. 

My second favourite scene is when MHY came back into the studio with the background of YS's reciting the poem.  That is a very strong message indeed. I really thought that she will come back after SR had a talk with her... but nope I was wrong, it was YS's poem recitation that gave her the strength. 

Great episode, looking forward to their next challenge.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 2

I avoided this thread because it is just too active for me to follow all the discussion. But after this episode i couldn't hold back :D

There were a couple mediocre episodes where they focused too much on all the busisness/rivalry plot but not really on growing the bar and its characters. But last episode was great and this one was even better. 

I was a bit worried that they would just set her up but never really adress her journey. Which actually happens a lot in kdramas. You would have a gay character but it doesn't have any impact on the drama or doesnt even get adressed. I loved to see that they kinda devoted the episode to her.

There were some beautiful lines in dialogue and monologue at the end. The scene where Sae-Ro-Yi comforted Hyun-Yi and the poem that Yi-Seo read. Loved it.

They should be way more angry with Geun-Soo.

This is what kind of irrks me. And i've noticed that in a few other kdramas as well. They are upset because he betrayed a friend. Which is obviously terrible. But they (and the drama) treat outing people the same as anything else, just as spreading any random private information. It seems like there just isn't any sensibility for that.

Like first and foremost i am angry because he outed her and then i am angry that he did that to someone he was supposedly close to. There is a distinction. I hope my point comes across.

Imagine if Soo-Ah really called the police to report minors in the bar and you have Geun-Soo maliciously outing Hyun-Yi.. And people say well it's say the same because they are both shitty friends. Nooooo!!!

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

My thoughts:

The poem "I am a Diamond" not only describes HY, it suits SRY and SY too.  They are very brave and strong, no matter what blown to them, they will withstand and fight back.  Actually i believe all Dambam members have the diamond character too.  We saw Tony resilient.  We maybe will see SK soon.

Some way it also describe GS.  Imagine the life he has been through, he withstand and respond against his dad strongly too.  Unlike his brother controlled by his dad, he speak up to his dad when he wanted to leave and now insist he is the only heir for his dad even how many times he failed to convince his dad.  We never see him cower infront of his dad.

Unfortunately SA is not.  She said so herself, she is coward:

- She accepted the scholarship from a murderer dad.

- She worked for the murderer dad

- She wanted to run away when she realise things does not work out.

Back to GS.  He is ruthless.  But i felt it is possible for his character to be like that.  He has been very thoughtful but what did he get?  Nothing.  That is why he decided that maybe he can be selfish, maybe he can be like SRY, maybe he can also have SY.  Also for someone who so attracted to a socialpath and was born by king of socialpath or even worse, he is probably some socialpath himself.

Also honestly SY may do what he did too if she is from the opposite side.  That is why she wanted to rid any weeds in earlier episode.  But i also notice she admired strong people.  That is why she is close to HY.  SY words are impactful to HY.  Look at HY hair.  Now look at the poem.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1