[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

15 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

OST part.5 MV

Love it! Itaewon Class has some of the best Drama OSTs this year! :wub:

Awesome ratings as usual! It's going up each episode! I want to point out as well that it also gets high rating on its afternoon replays. :D 

I expect that Itaewon Class will go higher now that SBS's Stove League will wrap up tonight. :)

• Like 4

We start the day with yet another record.

Do you guys know that Itaewon Class already at #3 peak kdrama rating for JTBC just in 5 episode in? Only Sky Castle ( 23.8% ) and The lady in dignity ( 12% ) is higher than itaewon rating right now.

And for the good news.... this week two strong contender had finish their both amazing run.

We couldnt argue that both drama had share of success Stove league with stable rating around 16-19% and crash landing on you with 17.7%.

With no stove league tomorrow and will be the last episode cloy on the same day, i believe if the trending was keep going up they can reach an even higher rating like 14 or 15% by next week episode.

The new contender for itaewon class is hyena and hi bye mama ( i do think they will be strong drama but they will need time to build their story first because their story had a lot of background story ) so atleast for the first 2 week theyll start building up rating and build the hype ( just like how itaewon ep 1 and 2 established the story with 5 and 5.3% rating and skyrocket into 8 and 9.4% rating on the next week ) 

Let see if they can beat Crash landing on you current record or maybe this drama can reach 20% !

But seeing that the drama always trending on naver i see the same pattern just like what happen with crash landing on you. The growth that comparable ( danbam team growth with hyunbin+yejin+4 ducklings growth ) this drama also had their own recipe of success. And the best thing is the twist from the webtoon so it wont be boring but every week is exciment to know whats the new twist.

Btw @SaiSai1988 stove league last episode is yesterday so today there will be no stove league. So the last real contender is cloy ( although i believe they didnt share time slot together )

• Like 2

@emollienime

Most definitely. I dont excuse MHY not being competent but SRY knows that she has lots of potential if the effort is there. That's what makes SRY such a good character. He has so much weight/depth in the way he thinks & does things. Hes definitely going to be a fav ML of mine from any kdrama/shows. I really like how understanding & patient he is with his crew members. He really understands them well in & out and I'm glad he trusts them enough to see that they all can be better when they work together as a team. Even though JYS is smart & wellversed at many things, she still needs alot of room to learn & grow since shes only 18. SRY is 27 so he has more life experience how to deal with certain things in the real world. Like JGS said, meeting SRY was like the first time he met an adult. Btw, JGS is also a neat character himself. I feel so bad for him & I'm glad he did not turn out like his father/brother. Living in a household like that is toxic as hell.

JYS being impulsive is pretty on brand for her character lol. It's just ironic that she tells SA that penal-code when that penal-code can be referred to JYS lol. Honestly I really dont like when they make female characters fight/catty over man. I like the tension between SA & JYS with their witty remarks but I hope it's not a continuous thing where they are at each other's throat everytime they see eachother in regards to SRY. I rather the show put the screen time on Danbam crew interacting and hanging out. I love Danbam crew so much & I want to see them together alot to achieve big things for SRY as a team. 

• Like 2

OSEN | 2020. 02. 14. 8:39 PM

''Itaewon Class'': Chef Ma Hyun Yi admits being transgender, viewership rating hits 12%

202002150815779085_5e472b71024cf.jpg

The drama ''Itaewon Class'' has shown its explosive popularity when reaching the viewership rating of 12%.

According to the viewership rating enterprise Nielsen Korea, episode 5 of the Fri-Sat drama ''Itaewon Class'' (JTBC, screenplay: Jo Kwang Jin, director: Kim Sung Yoon) aired on the evening of February 14 broke its own record and continued to show its explosive heat when recording the viewership rating of 10.7% nationwide and 12% in the metropolitan area (chargeable household standards).

After seeing that the Danbam restaurant was successfully reopened, Jang Dae Hee (played by Yoo Jae Myung) of Jangga Group started trying to hinder its operation. Meanwhile, a war of nerves between Jo Yi Seo (played by Kim Dami) and Oh Soo Ah (played by Kwon Nara) in their relationship with Park Sae Ro Yi (played by Park Seo Joon) is also getting fiercer and fiercer. Jo Yi Seo's daring "defense" to interfere with the relationship between Park Sae Ro Yi and Oh Soo Ah has signaled an official "love triangle", thereby making the audience more excited when watching the drama.

Jo Yi Seo began to work at Danbam restaurant as the manager. She talked about her reason, "If it's this person, it's worth trading my life for." Park Seo Ro Yi also chose her for the job based on his intuition. His choice is no mistake. Jo Yi Seo directed "rookie" owner Park Seo Ro Yi and his disorder staff, step by step fixing the problems at the restaurant.

Thanks to the members' combine forces, the re-opening D-day of the transformed Danbam restaurant has come. As Jo Yi Seo's proclamation, "Now we will conquer Itaewon", customers were fascinated by the restaurant, signaling for a successful return. When the appearance of an uninvited guest made Danbam's business stalled, Jo Yi Seo once again turned the risk into the opportunity and became a "savior" to Park Sae Ro Yi.

President Jang - who has been watching over Park Seo Ro Yi since he started building his career in Itaewon - has begun to be wary of him. And the person he is targeting is Oh Soo Ah. Observing the Danbam restaurant from afar, he told Oh Soo Ah, "You never offend me with your words. But instead of saying, do something." Pressure from President Jang's words worried Oh Soo Ah.

In addition, the fact that Oh Soo Ah confessed that she herself had reported Danbam restaurant to the police as a lie was also revealed and brought a surprise to the audience. It was actually the revenge act of Gook Bok Hee (played by Han Ye Ji) - the prefect's daughter and the one who was expelled from high school for Jo Yi Seo. Learning all the facts, Jo Yi Seo did not hesitate to punish her. But besides, she was caught up in complicated emotions when she thought back on the time when Oh Soo Ah lied and confessed her fault to Park Sae Ro Yi.

The shocking encounter between Jo Yi Seo, Jang Geun Soo (played by Kim Dong Hee), Choi Seung Kwon (played by Ryu Kyung Soo), and chef Ma Hyun Yi (played by Lee Joo Young) at the club is also depicted. Choi Seung Kwon, who went to a club for the first time in his life, was drawn to a long, black-haired girl. That girl was Ma Hyun Yi. Upon their chef was a transgender, the staff could not hide their discomfort. Jo Yi Seo questioned her cooking ability and asked to fire her.

However, instead of dismissal, Park Sae Ro Yi presented an envelope with the doubled salary. To the surprise of Ma Hyun Yi, Park Sae Ro Yi expressed his belief, "If you are satisfied with this restaurant, make double efforts to deserve it." He convinced the staff, "He is also my person like everyone. That's is important to me." In response to his determination, the members of Danbam restaurant opened their hearts again. In return for this, Ma Hyun Yi began to practice cooking in the doubled effort. Jo Yi Seo's warm compliment to the dish made by Ma Hyun Yi made the drama more heart-warming.

The relationship of the trio Park Sae Ro Yi, Jo Yi Seo, Oh Soo Ah also shows changes. Oh Soo Ah's feelings are intensely wobbling between Park Sae Ro Yi and president Jang, as well as between friendship and success. Finding out that Oh Soo Ah was drunk and shouting right at the center of Itaewon, Park Sae Ro Yi ran over as he was worried about her. Because of indescribable guilt, Oh Soo Ah told him, "I don't feel sorry for you at all. Because I care and value myself the most." Hearing that, Park Sae Ro Yi comforted her instead of feeling resentful, "You've tried your best for your life. You didn't do anything wrong. His warm words melted Oh Soo Ah's cold heart. However, just as she was about to press her lips to his, Jo Yi Seo suddenly appeared. Jo Yi Seo's tremendous resistance as she blocked Oh Soo Ah's mouth by her hand has brought an interesting scene to the drama, which made viewers eagerly expect changes in the relationship of this trio.

The energy of the enthusiastic youths for the Danbam restaurant has become hotter than ever. While "Itaewon Class" is promising an powerful development thanks to the youthfulness of the main characters as they threaten a group of restaurants in the "upper class" of the restaurant industry, the audience cannot help paying attention to whether president Jang will shake Park Sae Ro Yi's heart by any tricks, and the love triangle of Park Sae Ro Yi, Jo Yi Seo, and Oh Soo Ah - the trio that brought an unexpected "heart-stopping" episode ending for viewers - will bring any interesting details. Accordingly, the war of nerves between Jo Yi Seo - Park Sae Ro Ri's great assistant, and Oh Soo Ah - his business rival - promises to get more and more intense. Furthermore, the audience is also paying attention to the choice Oh Soo Ah, who is standing between Park Sae Ro Ri and president Jang, would make to receive changes in her life.

Episode 6 of ''Itaewon Class'' will air at 10:50 pm (KST) February 15.

[OSEN = Reporter Seon Mi Kyung] /seon@osen.co.kr
[Photo] Screenshot from JTBC broadcast
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive 
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

IC reaching double digits B):w00t:!!! A 10% & 11% to boot. That's really awesome and the show hasnt reached its half way point yet & it's not even airing on the biggest cable network TVN. I'm so happy for the production team & cast. I hope it can reach new heights. If IC stays consistent in terms of storytelling & development, I think ratings will soar every week. 

@Samuel Yohanes

Yep, there's going to be tough competition next week. Hi Bye Mama & I'll Go to you when the weather is Nice will be airing by next/coming week. IGTYWTWIN is also from JTBC too. I wonder how the rating for IGTYWTWIN will be. If its anything like Chocolate in terms of story & setting, it will have pretty good/decent ratings. Kim Tae Hee & Park Min Young are pretty prolific actresses. I think everyone is anticipating to see Kim Tae Hee back on the small screen. I still need to finish Stove League & I'm happy for its consistent high ratings. Such a good show! I could care less about CLOY but it seems like a huge hit every week. Not only that TVN's Hospital Playlist airs next month during IC's run.

@serenilmauve

IC is hot topic again. MHY, yes I'm so happy! JYS & SRY trending high as always. I love that they both are trending together. Everyone must be enjoying SRY & JYS's dynamic together as boss/manager. 

@Anjalifairy

I want to see the full interview with PSJ & KDM for Netflix. Everytime I see them all I see is SRY & JYS now lol. They really immersed themselves with their respective character in IC. I really like PSJ as SRY. I know that the writer himself had several choices when the drama was greenlit for production but PSJ really matches SRY. His voice & his nuance performance is very befitting of SRY's quiet demeanor as well as his earnet passion. I like KDM as JYS alot too. She brings alot of high energy, and she emotes well with her face.

• Like 5

I think koreans enjoying this drama for exact same reasons I do. Crazy, chaotic energy it brings. Characters far from being perfect, they have that flawed youths feeling. What person livid their 20-30’s without making some fatal mistakes on their road? Characters don’t have “perfect” aura around them, but rather boldness and even madness (looking at you Jo Yiseo :joy:). They’re showing social moments, but wrapping it in style to make interesting to viewers. There is probably something refreshing to see characters acting out of line. Some people don’t like Jo Yi Seo, but I like her for all the reasons they’re disliking her :joy:

And this show for once not about doctors or lawyers, but about bar workers, who happens to be social rejects and misfits :smirk:

As for love-triangle, why not? We see a lot of triangles where boys just simply fight over girl (sometimes treating her like object...), but here romance is actually not the only thing that is going on around. Also both ladies have their own ambitions and accomplishments outside chasing guy. As much as I have my own problems with Oh Sooah, because I like Park Saeroy, I still like that she is putting herself and her wellbeing above a(the?) guy. 

• Like 5

I’m one of those people that is Team JYS. I just finished episode 5 and found myself cheering when JYS was slapping that bully girl. Well, not only me. I think my dad was also doing the same thing and we were both laughing afterwards. And when YS prevented OSA from kissing PSR in that ending sequence, i was rolling in laughter. Let’s not forget that JYS character is a sociopath 

What I’ve like so far about S. Korean movies and dramas lately is that it touches on a lot of sensitive subjects that we rarely see in some American movies i.e. the socioeconomic issue that Parasite transmits and Itaewon Class with gender roles/sexuality. It might be a mild one in IC but Korea is a closed society. MHYs coming out to her coworkers was pretty interesting to me. When the Trio were at the bus stop talking about going clubbing, my dad and I were in stitches. And when that former gangsta guy started dancing at the club, I seriously wanted him to be dancing with MHY. I didn’t get the chance to read the webtoon. But I was here awhile ago reading on if this specific character was going to be transgender. I was intrigued on how they were going to tackle this on. Interestingly enough, I like how the writer transitioned this character on to cable tv. Nobody else, beyond their circle, needs to know about MHY being transgender. MHY wasn’t failing in the kitchen because of her sexuality/gender role. Maybe she wasn’t doing so well because no one was tasting her cooking and being a good enough critic to tell her if it tasted good/bad. I loved that even though that MHY was miserably failing in the kitchen, PSR was willing to give her (that’s her pronoun) a 2nd chance. I love PSRs righteousness when it came to this. Everyone already failed PSR but not MHY. She was always for him and why shouldn’t he take her side. And i like it when PSR suggested JYS to be a good taster critic to MHYs cooking. Such a good segment.

If the original webtoon writer is at the helm for the script, I think there are going to be fun times to be had with this new drama. 

I don’t think JYS wants us to completely understand her. But it won’t hurt to understand the actions and choices of a sociopath. I will post what’s the definition of a sociopath under spoiler

Profile of the Sociopath

This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths.

Glibness and Superficial Charm 

Manipulative and Conning 
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims. 

Grandiose Sense of Self 
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right." 

Pathological Lying 
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests. 

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt 
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way. 

Shallow Emotions 
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises. 

Incapacity for Love 

Need for Stimulation 
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common. 

Callousness/Lack of Empathy 
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them. 

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature 
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others. 

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency 
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc. 

Irresponsibility/Unreliability 
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed. 

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity 
Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts. 

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle 
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively. 

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility 
Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths.

•  
  • Like 5

@AsveriaPSJ

Totally agree. I dont like characters who are written to be perfect because if they're perfect where is the development? It would be boring to see a bunch of perfect Mary Sues. Characters with flaws are so much more interesting & makes them more relatable. Every character on IC is flawed, even the morally upright SRY. No one is born perfect, it's all about growth & change. Alot may be put off by JYS because of her personality & actions, which is understandable btw, but I like her alot too lol. She's an 18 year old who still has lot of room for development/growth. I mean in the beginning it showed her going to therapy so I'm sure she's aware she has a problem in terms if her psyche. It's also nice to see characters like her going to therapy because there's a stigma that if people reach out for help(like going to therapy/open about mental health)its view as a weak/bad. Also, I've never seen a FL written as a sociopath before. 

I also like that JYS decides to work instead of going to college, especially in a society where college is heavily emphasized/important & where you attend defines you. Like, that itself is pretty neat for character like JYS to reject social norms. Not everyone wants/able to attend college right after highschool & that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. Everybody has their own different prospect/approach in life. I mean SRY didnt go to college either/have a well off paid job even though he could have(but couldnt since he's an ex-con)like the usual route characters undergo in dramas. But he worked his butt off to get where he's at even though hes not successful yet, it's all about the journey. That makes his character far more interesting/appealling than a Masters/PHD alumni ML with a 6 figure salary working in a fancy 24 floor office building intro at episode 1.  

There's alot of shows with stories about doctors, lawyers, etc. which is abundant and oversaturated. I love the differences in cast of characters in IC so much more. Its vibrant & refreshing. Total misfits & underdogs. I love those kinds stories with those kinds of characters. Romance is fine in shows. I honestly havent watch shows with too much romance in it. I watched Chocolate but even with that show, the romance was pretty scarce lol. It depends how the romance is written for me to care enough for it. 

I do like tension/witty banter between SA & JYS though. I agree about SA who has her ambitions/job as her top priority. But that's her flaw because then what about her friendship with SRY who's been nothing but gracious towards her when shes on the opposing side? I'm curious to see what happens in the next episodes. 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

@serenilmauve

I love the fanart! The caricature style is so neat! The artist really capture their likeness. I wish there were a lot more fanart of characters from kdrama like how there's so many fanart of anime characters lol. The one where JYS grabs SA face lol. I can see that being a meme. SRY's face/reaction when that part happens was top notch :w00t:

MHY trending at 1!!! I dont live in SKorea so Im not sure what the stance is about/towards LGBTQ community (conservative like everywhere else) but in the US, there will always be narrow minded and ignorant people with tasteless & hateful views. Btw, I like that the side characters arent treated as prop but prominent figure to the overall story in IC. They add more richness to the story as it progresses. 

• Like 5

Today is also an episode where Tony Kim will join our DanBam team;)

@greenwatch08 SK is a very conservative country, they don’t have much media exposure to LGBTQ. That’s why adding trans character pretty bold move. So even if in US - a progressive country for LGBTQ - members face some discrimination and misunderstanding about who they are, in SK it’s probably worse. But, Itaewon is well-known place, where everyone is accepted, as I heard. So them showing how diverse can be people in that place, could make some conservative viewers accept Ma Hyun Yi. 

• Like 3

Chris Lyon IG update. Expecting this guy to appear in today's episode. Yayyy for more diversity! 

@serenilmauve As expected, i knew it would stir pros and cons. Imho, everyone should be able to learn from Mahyuni. I was so touched when Saeroy said the three JYS, JGS, CSK made trouble and made his business suspended, but Mahyuni has done nothing and work hard instead. That makes me realized that in the end, you should have value as human being, that's how people will respect you, no matter you're a transperson or not, your skin color, your religion, etc. Even the God given brain JYS looked speechless at that time :)))

• Like 3

Just done watching it. I love JYS even more! Her coaching for her Danbam team pays off! And PSR is just so admiring! As GS narrated, he is the true adult here. An adult who teach you to have shame, conscience and dignity. He sees through people heart. And it proves when we finally see it's not SA who reported them. It's so annoying, I know SA didn't do it so I feel a bit guilty hating her. But what makes her do that? Why did she lie like that? Just like YS. I feel guilty but I feel her still irritating. 

And LOL for that counter ending! Hahaha. Should I be thankful for having a sociopathic FL for this!  I thought YS would back off but no, she's just surprisingly unexpected. She calls it defense. Gosh.. this girl doesn't want to lose her love before the game starts. Hahaha. What about her stealing kiss then, does she ask SY permission??? 

• Like 4