[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

Honestly, I can see why some viewers (including me to some extent) have grown disinterested. Admittingly, I skipped quite a few scenes from episode 11 and 12. After the arrest of JGW there hasn't been all that much progress plot-wise, aside from them expanding their business which to some might be boring to watch. Most importantly, and this is what really irks me, is that the writer keeps going around in circles, incorporating repetitive dialogue and similar scenes which were already included in previous episodes. Truth is, it's a pity because this drama could be 10x more better if the writer stopped dragging certain plot lines and if he rewrote some scenes/situations so they could be more believable.  

I'll be honest, the sole reason I'm enjoying this drama is because of the actors themselves who have done a spectacular job thus far (notably, PSJ and KDM), but as far as the storyline goes it's gone downhill ever since episode 10.

I'll continue hoping that ratings will bounce back up, especially for the last episode, but if it doesn't then I can also understand why.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@wisely1300

That's the thing with timeskip. Things happen but viewers dont see it. Although there's 3 episodes left so anything can happen. He might still have lingering feelings for SA or not lol? SRY & SA probably see eachother probably not as often. At this point, SRY has alot on his plate. I mean within a span of 4 years he had to prop up Danbam & IC and thinking about his revenge. Sometimes work is very strenuous and people dont have time to date lol. He's probably not ready to be in a relationship or afraid to? SRY isnt the kind of guy to date just anyone even with SA lol. Maybe somethings changed? SRY is a man with a set of principles. I like SRY & JYS's relationship even if it's not romantic. There is that subtle change where he doesnt pat JYS head like he used to. But since its 4 years into the present now, the viewers might get to see his change in attitude. 

With MHN, I didnt read the webtoon but yes, I wish the viewers got to see her cook more. I'm still excited for the upcoming 3 episodes. I want to see how everything ends. 

@Anjalifairy

I was wondering why is JGW out of jail already lol. Btw, i have many thoughts about this ep too. 

• Like 3

@greenwatch08

Maybe he did things like bribery(?) idk, hope we could find the answer in the next episode. I have many thoughts too :joy:

Also, i wonder about this part that i didn't find in drama up to this ep 13, also in webtoon;

Have PSR, MHY, and CSK already found out that JYS is actually a sociopath? So far only JGS and OSA know about it right? I mean, since their first meeting, they must have been well aware that JYS has a unique or maybe "odd" and not common personality to girl her age. She is so brave, impulsive and savage. Don't they wonder why? I'm just curious if Gwangjin will expose it in the drama bcs he didn't in webtoon as i recall (please correct me if i'm wrong), even though I'm not sure if it's already too late or still important to unfold because the story has come this far. I wonder what their reaction especially PSR could be if they found it out? :rolleyes:

@philosophie I'm not sure if I can tell you the answer cause I'm not reading the ending yet. But I read some spoilers somewhere

Spoiler

The ending would be chestnut will date his cute wildcat manager. Someone will kidnap YS and SR will be hospitalized. But as you see the preview it seems it goes a bit different. So I bet in the end PSR will reciprocate YS's love. 

Imo, Ep 13 is just felt so flat. I feel like there's nothing much happens. What I have seen in last week preview is just only that in the actual episodes. But so far it's still watchable. I watched it this morning pretty fast so maybe I need to rewatch later to see something that I miss. On the bold note, I think I feel so tired seeing some characters who never repent and plays victim for something they should be apologetic for. And it seems like the writer sugarcoated them with some kind of good traits to make them less evil. I think before doing that, it's more touching or acceptably appropriate if the writer make them admit their mistakes first or at least repent or feeling guilty for something they'd done in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree re: the writing. 

The first 10 episodes were damn near perfect. Now, it's almost like a new writer took over. Good news is, there aren't many episodes left. If it finishes strong, I can overlook these few lackluster episodes. I used to be more into the revenge plot than the romance but now the revenge seems kinda stale and I'm just ready for SRY and YS to make out lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

Gun Won was probably released as parole for good behavior in prison and admitting himself as guilty and at fault for all his actions (and regretting). 

And I doubt Hyun Yi had just a month to learn how to cook. Not saying it’s believable, but just pointing out, that more than a month passed in whole timeline from ep.3 to ep.13. And she wasn’t a bad cook, she wasn’t up to standard. But it was already shown prior, that her food become delicious and people were lining up in front of DanBam all the time, which means it’s not just marketing anymore. 

Also, please take in mind, that it’s just 16 episode drama. For story of growing small pub to big corporation to feel 100% organic, without adding something to push accomplishments faster, you need at least 30-40 episodes. And much slower pace. So there will be stuff that imitates reality, but not entirely true to how operates real world. IC is not the first drama and definitely not the last one to do so. And filming limitations also play their role. 

And honestly when you read some rich people’s biography it sounds like unreal drama :lol: I guess that’s why those people turn out to be rich. While some people limit themselves with “reality”, they stretch their imagination and bravery to go after what they want xD

I doubt that Soo Ah and Sae Roy didn’t meet each other for 4 years (or closer to 3 years, I believe). It’s just Sae Roy’s life now a bit too busy and it’s harder to meet around. And 7 years passed without him even once seeing her and still liking. What 3 years compared to 7 years? What 3 years compared to Sae Roy always saying to Soo Ah “I still like you”, when she did nothing, while he struggled. She was that confident in his feelings, but only now started to see, that time and “doing nothing” can take a person and his “love” from you. 

And Sae Roy even before time skip was closer to Yi Seo, than Soo Ah. But it’s just his character.  He was moved by Yi Seo. He opened his heart to her. He always needed her with him. He just never challenged his own feelings the way he should’ve to understand why he feels certain way about Yi Seo, but never felt it towards Soo Ah. You don’t need to see their 4-3 years together to know, that they become even closer. Because they were even before time skip. 

And Soo Ah is a “stale character”. That’s her whole point. People wanted her to be realistic? That’s the reality. A lot of people stale like her. They follow a path and afraid to move from that path anywhere. She is a person who “does nothing” in her life. That’s why Gwang Jin wrote her plenty meaningful scenes, let her be there and see DanBam growing together, but then never made her to grow beyond who she is. Because that’s exactly what is definition of her character. For me she always felt like a commentary on people who “do nothing” and always have plenty excuses why. Hence why even “if they don’t like their boss, they can change their job” words were spoken by her and no one else. 

Also this episode pretty much answered to question “why JDH so obsessed with idea of making PSR kneel”, because he did all that himself. Dirt poor boy had no one on his side, when he build his own empire, he was humiliated and he needed to make “180 turn” just like JGS to achieve his own goals. Then there is Park Sae Roy, who refused to do everything that JDH did in his youth and it hurt his pride. It turned mighty man into a petty old rug.

And actually in last 3 episodes a lot of stuff happened and a lot of character moments were shown. But since Gwang Jin originally was a webtoon writer it does feel sometimes like a moving and acted webtoon pages, rather than traditional writing style of some acclaimed scriptwriters. But for someone, who never wrote a script in his life and didn’t train for that, I would say he is still doing a better job at portraying characters, than most writers, imo;) 

• Like 6

Is next episode about

Spoiler

The one where yi seo got kidnapped by geum won?

Sad about the rating slight decrease.. it just not the same way with how the popularity growth. 

Seems weird. I thought it should have been 15% already... 

Here is the plan to reach 19% ( to be no 3 behind sky castle and cloy )

Episode 14 need to had a big statement rating with 16%~ 

Episode 15 need to had a stable rating around 15 or 16% 

And episode 16 need to be like what happen to CLOY. ( remember from 17% into 21.683% jump ) the hype built for the finale would be huge and the cliffhanger need to be great.

If that happen then it would be good to reach 19% and hold no 3 spot. Surpass goblin,reply1988,mr sunshine

I think they should have fast forward in episode 11. Only three episodes left and NOW they will try to build up the main couple. I know this is not a romantic show necessarily BUT a lot of people are here for SRY and YS.

Edited by Cilla D
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree — the writing since episode 11/12 has started to become lazy and confusing. Some characters are not making much sense, especially JGS, I really dislike how his change was so drastic and jarring. Yes, he's entitled to hold both light and darkness in him, but the way this change was executed and shown was not believable.

And now they're claiming that he is his father's mini-me? Not by a long shot.... If he was, he would have been able to save Danbam each time they were in hot waters, and not have had to rely on Yi-seo's abilities. JGS says he's madly in love with Yi-seo, but WHY? I wish there was some time dedicated to showing how that love began & flourished.

I get that the show has many other focuses, but if they are setting JGS to be the next antagonist, they need to flesh him out much better. 

Also not really invested in any of PSY's love interests. The same scenarios are playing out repeatedly (Soo-ah's claim on PSY, Soo-ah and Yi-seo fighting over PSY), and it's getting tiring to watch. 

I'm sad, I REALLY loved the first 10 episodes, but seems like Itaewon C is hitting a mid-run slump. At this point, its only consistent strengths are Park Seo-jun's acting and the characters' styling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sodarn said:

what's wrong with MHY's hair though? She deserved better. Same for her general style since the time jump...

Ikr.. The wig looked a bit weird on her  :D

1 hour ago, Aliceson Choe said:

Despite the flaws of this drama, I'm just so happy that I was able to discover Kim DaMi. I think she is one of the most talented actresses in her age group and I can't wait to see what drama she will take on next! 

Yesss, thanks to IC, her confirmation as FL in IC made me curious about her and that's how i watched The Witch part 1. She's amazing. She's on my radar now. I'm looking forward to her upcoming movies; Soulmate and The Witch part 2. Also would like to see her in another drama:)

Her acting when MC announced her win was priceless and real :lol:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Even dripping water hollows out the stone. Not by the force, but by persistance. Just like how JYS has tried to win PSR's heart with her nonstop flirting maybe almost 24/7 during these 4 years kkkk

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Hello everyone!  I am new to this thread!!  I just want you'll know that I am hooked on this drama!  It is soooo good!  I like marathon the already updated ones!!  It is supposed to be for my thesis project, but I end up to enjoy it!!  I love the strong female lead who fears nothing and do what's right!!  

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

@serenilmauve

That's the thing about SRY. Hes a man of principles & an old fashioned kind of guy lol. He's not going to just be with anyone. Also, it is not weird/unusual for someone to have not dated anyone into their late 20's/early thirties especially if their priority is work & managing a franchise business. SRY is not used to recieving love so hes in the stage where he doesnt seem like hes ready or holding back? Its obvious SRY is uncomfortable when JYS when she tells him that she likes/loves him in the workspace. He's also not aware of those love feelings yet or dont want to acknowledge it. Yes, the show built up SRY & JYS's relationship from ep 3 to 12 so theres no need to show the romantic side from SRY POV because he is just not there yet. SRY & JYS's relationship is not romantic but they have a strong platonic relationship to eachother as friends/partners. Its very visible. The timeskip is going to illustrate whether they'll be a pair or not. Theyve worked together for 4 years, someting is bound to happen or not lol. I'm fine with those two being platonic because their platonic relationship to eachother has been strong from the beginning & what I enjoyed the most. 

Yes, MHY was never an awful cook, probably not up to JYS's standard. The show I'm assuming takes a span within less than a year so it's possible for someone to have learned/polished their skills that fast. The thing is I wished the viewers got to see her cook more so that her ability to win the show feels organic. 

@Aliceson Choe

KDM has been fantastic through & through. This is my first time watching her act & shes brilliant IMO. Star quality. I hope to see her more in tv shows or get offers for leading roles. She has that natural charm. 

• Like 4

The reason i'm still watching is because I started the show and PSJ. Recent episodes baffles me. Kinda forcing myself to enjoy it but it's like a chore, i do it because i want to complete the whole series.

I don't understand everybody.

Maybe except LHJ, his most memorable line is "now that I am different but JGW lost everything, i'm still afraid of him" showing how a teenage scar can haunt the victim for the rest of his life

• Like 1