[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

5 hours ago, wisely1300 said:

You can't compare JTBC to SBS...one is a cable channel and one is a public channel, two completely sets of expectations. A 10% rating would be considered meh in SBS's history, but it would be one of the biggest hits of JTBC's history. 

Second, eh, not really, while great OSTs does help a bit, it does not really bring that big of a contribution towards viewership. That is usually based a lot more on the cast and the story. Just look at the OST's lists for Reply 1988, Mr. Sunshine, 100 days My Prince, Signal, etc (the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 8th highest rated cable dramas ever). Literally most of the OSTs of those dramas have no one really notable singing (I think Zico was the only notable name?). Yet they were all hugely successful for varying reasons, and while the OSTs themselves were definitely helpful, it's more because the songs are good, and not because of who sings them. The plots and the cast (especially big name casts) are 100000% more important (in the case of the Reply series: the Reply name alone also helped greatly).

Also, you don't really need a "wonder hit" to crack 10% ratings. That term should only be reserved for dramas like CLOY, Goblin, Reply 88, etc. IC is big, but it is not (yet?) a wonder hit. I mean, JTBC has beaten the 10% mark 4 times (including IC) in its history, but I would bet that almost no one here can name the other two dramas of JTBC that has cracked the 10% mark besides Sky Castle and IC. (For reference, TVN, which has been around a lot longer, has only done it 11 times in their history, so it's not like TVN spending more money to get the most famous OST singers are churning out 10% hits for them). 

as @serenilmauve said that yeah i agree that itaewon had more than 9 ost now. i mean it is just the same like chocolate right. it is not that i dont like the ost. tbh i like most of them and they are on my playlist. but it just shows how the budgeting for jtbc drama and tvn difference. dont get me wrong on the ost have a big factor toward viewership.

i must say that it help to bring the attention to the drama. 

the big case that i would like to show is how Hotel del luna so dominant with their drama ost had i think 6 song at top 3 gaon. and it help them immensely with the viewership in summer when nobody at that time span  had a high rating at all ( they got 12% in the end and stable 8-9%) remind you at 2019 many people doubt the drama will achieve high rating anymore especially after the flop of arthdal chronicles and vagabond rating. but so far it is feel good that so many drama reach their breakthrough in the end of 2019 and early 2020 ( when the camellia blooms, stove league, crash landing on you, itaewon class )  

ofcourse it is shows that what a big budget can give you a fixed amount of viewership ( let see Encounter ) Song Hye Kyo and park bo gum drama from TVN. from the name alone they can get 10% easily although after that the viewership is declining but it shows how a big budget can bring you viewership. 

ok so thats imo about the budget from tvn and jtbc that shows the big difference between the two company. 

its also help that Tvn is specialized on fantasy drama and thats because of their big budget that help with the editing and post production and many of the top writter goes to work with tvn ( kim eun sook, hong sister,park ji eun, reply writter,etc ) meanwhile i could say that jtbc now had fair share of their great writter too with their rising aswell. 

ok related to your reply 1988, mr sunshine, signal,and 100 days my prince. here is my take on that. 

reply 1988 had fixed viewership already ( it is the same like how dr romantic 2 had high viewership from the start ) and the story get even better thats why they got the high rating without the ost.

mr sunshine it is Lee byung hyun and kim tae ri drama. with kim eun sook writting the drama? need anymore to ask? two of A+ actor that usually only do movies + the writter of Goblin and DOTS ?? even without ost they will had tons of rating from the popularity alone.. ( btw they had 15 ost and if u ask for famous singer. there is park hyo shin,nuest w( on their peak popularity thanks to broduce),melomance( rising star in 2018 ),ben,sejeong,and hwang chi yeol ) 

signal. imo this drama is just like what happen to sky castle. a really great story line that build up the viewership. hell they are the winner of baeksang best drama ofcourse it is bound to get high rating. no argument needed.

for 100 days my prince.. it is a wonder actually and they had famous ost singer aswell ( Gummy and Chen ) gummy song is very good you guys should check it. they had a unique story line and the viewership is also growing until it reach 14% also help that it is DO last project before going into army. it help with the viewership aswell.

and btw for comparison

JTBC had 4 drama above 10% ( Sky Castle,Itaewon,Lady in dignity,and childless comfort ) 

TVN had 12 drama above 10% ( with 1 more had 9.991% another miss oh ) 

and another fun fact, jtbc had their first 10% drama before TvN. childless comfort reach 10% on march 2013 while tvn had their 10% finally from reply 1994 on december 2013.

and from 12 of TvN 10%+ drama it consist of 10 drama with romance or melodrama, 1 with slight romance ( prison playbook ) and 1 without any romance ( signal ).

meanwhile from Jtbc 4 drama it consist of 1 satire drama, 1 revenge-romance drama, 1 family drama and 1 mystery thriller drama. so 3 drama without romance and 1 drama with romance. 

so it seems that TvN had their own recipe for 10%+ rating. from combination of Romance, high budget, high profile actor, high profile writter and director, great storyline, great post production, great ost lineup(mostly).

meanwhile JTBC had their share of unique story line ( all their drama had different genre that reach 10% ) 

so in my opinion, bugdget play a huge part on drama success. from a great marketting, a great post production, and things i mention above. it help the growth of a channel to reach success. 

and thats why i think JTBC dont really had a huge budget if u compare it into Tvn. and that play some share why JTBC drama had mostly lower HIT level drama than tvn. also to remind you JTBC only had two timeslot drama currently ( wednesday and thursday will be a new added one soon finally on march/april ) while Tvn had 4 timeslot drama every week. 

but i guess both now showing their own way to keep the viewership.

JTBC by adding their new timeslot in Wednesday thursday.

Tvn by moving their timeslot from Friday 23:00 into Thursday 21:00 ( with a drama that i guess will be a huge hit too with A level actor and the director of reply ) my guess this two avoid fight with JTBC and SBS Friday drama. and had their own glory in the time slot. 

move the monday timeslot into 30 minute earlier. and wed thurs from 21 30 into 22 50. 

in the future, the fight seems clear for both but once again tvn prevails atleast for 2020 if u ask me. 

here is the list of Tvn future drama and actor list for 2020

- psycho but its okay - Kim soo hyun and seo ye ji

- memorist - yoo seung ho and lee se young

- oh my baby - jang na ra

- when my love blooms - lee bo young, yoo ji tae,jinyoung

- a piece of your minds - jung hae in and chae soo bin

- hospital playlist - jo jung suk,kim dae myung,jung kyung ho, yoo yeon suk,jun mi do

- youth record - park bo gum and park so dam

- stranger 2 - bae doona and cho seung woo

- strartup - nam joo hyuk, suzy , kim sun ho 

- tale of gumiho- lee dong wook, jo bo ah

- flower of evil - lee joon gi and moon chae won

can you count how many A+ actor and actress Tvn had for 2020? it is not counting yet the early 2020 which had hyunbin,son ye jin, kim tae hee. look at the big budget for them. 

in comparison if u compare it with JTBC future drama it is not as much as tvn.

1 hour ago, Anjalifairy said:

YS confession before time jump huh?? Oh headache..... 

gwang jin seems to be playing with fire huh.

this seems ballsy tho to change it directly from the webtoon. if i am not forget, she confess and then she goes on vacation right? but thats after the time jump. 

now before the time jump and it will be really weird imo. also ofcourse geum soo goes to the evil. i knew it from the start when the relationship chart he got half danbam half jangga.

but the motive right now seems clear right? getting the hold of jangga and get yiseo heart? maybe thats why he give the bait question that make yiseo run away in the preview???? 

and wow i thought it will be time jump ep 11 but it will be ep 12 or maybe the end of ep 11 i guess.

but isnt it too much? i think when the time jump happen its like 46 out of 80 chapter (?) and now it is already 10 episode going into 11 and still no time jump yet.. and wow will it be 7 years??????? so it will be 2023? wow

• Insightful 1

@Whisper2

I get what you're saying that it should be looked at a neutral stance & not with bias. What's important is who SRY chooses that matters, not what the viewers chooses, right? But the writing already illustrates its own biases to present to the viewers since SA is written to be his crush/teen love & JYS is written to have love towards SRY. If we were to look at SRY & SA and SRY & JYS from a neutral non-romatic standpoint, I'd still prefer SRY & JYS scenes 100x over. 

Everyone has their own interpretation

/opinion on what love is/how it is shown onscreen. I think its important to elaborate or to critique. I like seeing other people's opinion even if it's different than mine that I might not agree with. I feel like the concept of love/romance should be executed well in written paper & action with depth. I'm not poking at the characters necessarily, moreso of the writing/directing & how it is presented onscreen.  

• Like 4

This crazy episode first made me excited, then it made me feel bad, then again excited, then it boiled my blood and with last Park Sae Roy's scene destroyed my soul :tears: I cried like crazy :tears: 

btw, Ahn Bo Hyun trended in top 10 and all comments right now praising his acting. What I like about Itaewon Class, that it's giving a lot of room for actors to show their range. First Park Seo Joon, then Kim Dami and now Ahn Bo Hyun (with Yoo Jae Myung). Can't be more proud of our cast members, when I just saw announcement I knew that we up to something acting wise :thumbsup:

• Like 9

Updated closeness point system with SRY:

SA

- wrist grab

- hug

- piggy back

- hold arm

- almost kiss

SY

- wrist grab

- lie down on him

- stolen his first kiss

- pat head four times

- hand on shoulder

- hold arm twice

- lie down on his lap

- pull his hand to cry over

- rub the back twice

- head on his shoulder

- hug

- hold her head

:D for fun

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

I’m not going to lie, I’m getting a bit frustrated with the carelessness of PSRY is carrying out his revenge. First, in episode 6-7, when he invested all his money into Jangga, I was already a little iffy. He should have at least waited until his store was solidly on the ground or that his money could buy at least 1% of the shares or something because doing that did nothing but set them back. But at least that time he was agitated by Soo Ah and so he at least had an excuse of love.

But now this? This whole episode I was literally just saying to myself “why aren’t you guys being more careful of him playing that very obvious card ughhhh??” They drew up a plan without accounting for all the variables, simply because they thought that variable was unlikely to happen. Haven’t they learned?? JDH is not just evil but also very smart, you have to make sure your net has no holes for him to escape. Sigh, and now they lose all advantages they had. 

Also Geun Soo + Soo Ah team up from inside the company to possibly help???? Hmmmm bring it on I’m very intrigued.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Anjalifairy said:

YS confession before time jump huh?? Oh headache..... 

Exactly...what is happening?? If she confess before the time jump, it changes a lot of things...well that also means more time for their romance to develop...aaah thats why i shouldnt watch an ongoing drama the wait is unbearable lol

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, tok-soompi said:

Updated closeness point system with SRY:

SA

- wrist grab

- hug

- piggy back

- hold arm

- almost kiss

SY

- wrist grab

- lie down on him

- stolen his first kiss

- pat head four times

- hand on shoulder

- hold arm twice

- lie down on his lap

- pull his hand to cry over

- rub the back twice

- head on his shoulder

- hug

- hold her head

:D for fun

also can add for PSR and Yi Seo list:

hand caressing her face to check if her face is ok <3

2 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

or heartache lol

Omo,  confession before time jump changes everything, unless the time jump is not too long? Can’t wait to see what SRY response would be to that declaration of love. I should have known I told myself too soon that Yi Seo seems able to control herself in confessing towards SRY hehe, it is so like her though to finally say it... now we will have more scenes of SRY reacting to these truth and see if the writer plans to develop their love story more than what was in the web toon..

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guys, am I crazy or they released that Verivery song without playing it even once in the actual drama? :blink:

@ari_bian 

I think they're doing it... spoilers

Spoiler

to not let her leave somewhere like Hawaii or etc. in the middle of next episodes. And to not rush and force romance after time jump. It will give Sae Roy more time to process and sink his feelings for Jo Yi Seo. 

But I'm now seriously very curious. 

btw, I like how drama is trying to make things also a bit less predictable and more interesting to speculate even for those who already read webtoon. 

But the biggest draw still incredible acting of the main cast, imo;)

• Like 8

isnt 7 years just too little for a guy who killed someone,left that person to die,covered his death and 10 years spend not paying for his crimes.shouldnt he be in prison for at least 15 years?well,that’s drama after all...and i have no idea about actual korean law...

i can’t believe we just now have only 3 weeks and 6 episodes left before grand finale...woah,seems like only yesterday we were super excited with casting announcement^_^

@Samuel Yohanes that’s very interesting read.but i think jtbc overall only now starting to show real interest in producing more dramas.and their line up always was a mix of everything.maybe jtbc is more interested in producing their own flavor.just like ocn with their dramas,rather just going by”big names+big romance+big budget”formula.

• Like 6

@serenilmauve

Ahn Bohyun :thumbsup: Tbh, i was moved to tears when GW found out that his father just threw him away and left after the presscon. And totally sobbed in the last scene :bawling:

@Samuel Yohanes

Yes, GS was provoked by the current situation and also by YS's words. He decided to become a greedy person too. That's why i said before that Jangga is full with greedy people and i don't wanna believe these people in its circle. 

Probably moments after time jump in webtoon will be moved to before time jump in drama. I'm sure there will be more plot twist. I'm looking forward to what happen next. But waiting for another week now is really hard. 

@Kimsungrin

ikr? This is really not good for my heart :joy: Looks like hard breathing moments will continue and be more intense sigh..  You know what i mean right? We better get prepared :joy: i cried a lot reading that confession part bcs it's so heartbreaking :tears: yes, i'm one of the weirdos who can cry reading comics lol

Btw, what I like most about this story is, it precisely shows that the hero here is imperfect. That his desires don't always go according to expectations, that luck isn't always on his side, that every step can not be taken rashly. All needs time, effort, and mature plan, which is realistic and common happens in life. I learn a lot from this drama. 

• Like 6

Poor Geun Won. This episode from the very beginning made me feel Geun Won was the one wronged. That B**** JYS deserved to get slapped for the condescending attitude and spraying a hot drink all over GW. Seriously, who cares if you are a woman if you are going to act like that. You deserve to get slapped. JYS deserved worse. As for PSRoy, i understand his anger with GW so he can do as he likes. Then to get betrayed by his father after thinking he was finally receiving care for the first time in his life. Never would have expected Itaewon Class to make me root for the incompetent fool GW but this episode did it. Even Saeroy hitting GW and GW getting pulled by the cops annoyed me because JYS that b**** deserved just as much if not worse in that scene

Edited by x75274
  • Confused 1
  • Insightful 1

@Anjalifairy I felt nothing for him. It was hard to stomach moment because of my love for Sae Roy, also directing, music and acting overall was such a top notch, that I was really invested in whole situation, but just like @emollienime I was satisfied. Why I should feel sorry for the guy, who is getting what he asked for. Okay, his dad is an A+ a-hole and a lot depends on how parents raise their children, but that doesn't excuse, that he responsible for his own actions and should pay for his crimes. He refused to do so, never felt real sorry for killing a person (he would've turned himself if he really felt bad. But he is such a pathetic excuse for a human being...) and even had it in him to rub on Park Sae Roy, that he indeed killed his father. Yikes. I have better things to do, than feel sorry for him :lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@serenilmauve ooh I like your thoughts on why the confession was done before the time jump... hoping some more nice bonding moments between SRY and YS to develop their romance more... i was quite satisfied with the latest ep because it felt to me that they are already like an old married couple with how they reacted towards each other and to the Danbam crew. I have the same smile as YS when the hug happened hehe. SRY caressing her face was just ahhhhh just so sweet, I can imagine how he would be as a boyfriend or husband in that moment. SRY bringing YS to meeting LHJ and KMJ also helped in showing how SRY really trust her and brought her to be part of his goals of revenge. YS giving them inputs on the possibilities was just the icing... 

i agree with you on how the drama is now trying to be unpredictable helps in generating more interest to this show and I’m ok with them losing this battle for now... SRY and YS has then more room to grow even stronger...

@emollienime Thanks for speaking out for YS. Imagine saying that YS deserved worse than a slap. Just. Pure. Madness. That scumbag who has lived life not facing the consequences of his actions deserved more than boiling coffee thrown at him...that scumbag who had spent three years making LHJ life a living hell deserve respect? Lol, not in this life... not when SRY’s Dad is still six feet under and him living free like nothing happened... 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, emollienime said:

@x75274 she is not a b-word for making moron,who killed a person pay for his crimes.and he deserved everything.especially that coffee in his face.total loser.i was satisfied beyond words watching him crying,because he become worthless even for his own father.

Obviously GW is a moron and a loser. The drivel he was spouting about elites being above the law was complete nonsensical trash as well - but even as he was spouting off that drivel it seemed more like something he said to go along with the flow of the conversation and impress her rather than what he really believed. He just seems like a weakling who was raised in the wrong environment that just kept getting beatdown nonstop. Plus he didnt talk to JYS to pick a fight with her. All he was doing was recruiting her. She started to mouth off to him and started the disrespect between them. Then she dumped a hot drink on him after continuing to insult him. Seriously anyone in GW's situation would go insane in that situation and want to smack JYS. Its realistic too because in real life, anyone with a mouth like JYS is bound to get hurt once she pops off to the wrong person.

Edited by x75274
  • Confused 1
  • Insightful 1

@x75274 it’s kinda amusing to read,how much mental gymnastics person can practice,sorry for saying that.jo yiseo wasn’t unreasonable in that moment.she didn’t attack innocent either.and jangmoron had it coming.that’s it.nothing there to discuss.or blame jo yiseo and call her names.excusing literal criminals should not be on anyone’s book.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, x75274 said:

Obviously GW is a moron and a loser. The richard simmons he was spouting about elites being above the law was complete nonsensical trash as well - but even as he was spouting off that drivel it seemed more like something he said to go along with the flow of the conversation and impress her rather than what he really believed. He just seems like a weakling who was raised in the wrong environment that just kept getting beatdown nonstop. Plus he didnt talk to JYS to pick a fight with her. All he was doing was recruiting her. She started to mouth off to him and started the disrespect between them. Then she dumped a hot drink on him after continuing to insult him. Seriously anyone in GW's situation would go insane in that situation and want to smack JYS. Its realistic too because in real life, anyone with a mouth like JYS is bound to get hurt once she pops off to the wrong person.

It's not the first time he spouted off drivel about elites being above the law. Yes, he learned that from his father, but even if he didn't fully believe it, he certainly had no problem repeating it. JYS mouthed off to him because he confessed to murder. She dumped the hot drink when he lunged for her. Maybe JYS was playing with fire, but I'm not going to feel sorry for a murderer or think JYS deserved a smack or worse for trying to bring a murderer to justice and expressing her disdain in the process.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@ari_bian the amount of excuses people generating for jangmoron because of his daddy issues disgusts me.those same people were ready to eat alive 20 years girl for her remarks or stolen kiss,but now saying,that they feel bad for literal murderer and bully.shows how much we ready to excuse a man,just because he cried a bit,even when he deserves to cry bloody tears.he brought so much pain to others with his actions.all his pain means nothing to me.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, qynn said:

It's not the first time he spouted off drivel about elites being above the law. Yes, he learned that from his father, but even if he didn't fully believe it, he certainly had no problem repeating it. JYS mouthed off to him because he confessed to murder. She dumped the hot drink when he lunged for her. Maybe JYS was playing with fire, but I'm not going to feel sorry for a murderer or think JYS deserved a smack or worse for trying to bring a murderer to justice and expressing her disdain in the process.

You are right 100%. Personally, I dont know how any self-respecting guy with pride could like a girl like JYS. I would want to compete with her, not date her.