[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

Tonight is the last episode.. happy for IC achievement so far and proud of PSJ amazing acting and all the casts.. feeling sad at the same time as it will end soon tonight.. i enjoy the ride watching IC.. 

I'm one of the people with a few words so guys i really enjoy all the positive post here..  :kiss_wink:

Oh man can't let it go just yet.. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Yes. Some people are saying he didn't even kneel for his father so why would he kneel for Yiseo. 

It's different. 

When he was asked to kneel before, he was young. He was in high school so you know how stubborn young people are. When his father died, he didn't have a good reason to kneel. Now, however, he can lose Yiseo that's why he did kneel and it's because as an older, mature person, he now understands that sometimes, there are greater things than pride and that because for those four years, Yiseo kept on telling him and showing him she loves him, Saeroyi learned that there's more to life than revenge. This is why he's willing to kneel. He wants to date her and have a good life... something that he can be proud of and can be the reason why he can say to himself, "This is life? Well done! Again!"

I agree!

When it came to his high school situation it was different, it wasn't a life and death situation back then! Losing a job isn't same as someone's life in danger. 

Career job you can start over but a life once done can't be brought back. 

If his dad was in any such danger I am sure he wouldn't have hesitated even back then to kneel before him. Pride, principles over anything but not when it comes to loved ones life and death situation!

I totally get why he did what he did. Plus today's Ep we'll see more of the consequence of this deed of his! :D

• Like 1

@serenilmauve It is not about plotholes or something. I thought they were just fine. It is about the weird pacing. Crash Landing On You and Chocolate had the same flaw. For example in CLOY it took them literally various attempts to get Seri to South Korea, but it turned out it was not really a big deal after seeing how Son Ye Jin, Hyun Bin, his soldiers and the bad guy crossed the border eventually. With Chocolate as well, we have Ha Ji Won chasing the ML for years. And when they are finally together, Ha Ji Won leaves him for Greece because of a weird encounter with her mom.  Itaewon has the same kind of issues. The general nature of the whole story can be summarized as follows: it builds up momentum, but then the result is always flattish.

Also, all of them seem to have strong principles, but if going gets tough they all throw their beliefs out of the window:

- JGS turning evil to the point of outing his dear friend as a transgender

- JGS shifting back to the good side

-  SRY's promise to OSA to make her unemployed, but as times passes OSA resigns herself

- OSA's promise to pay the dad in threefold... but when she get a job offered by Jangga she takes it immediately and screws over his son

And so on, and so on...

As said, it is a good drama, but the tropes used are all linear. There is no variety in character development or outcome: all characters have the same type of development with most ending up neglecting their first beliefs and all plans fail.

6 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

For some reason, SRY is oddly attractive with his face smashed lol. Poor dude jesus christ.

I can't wait to see JYS & SRY meet. The anticipation is kicking lol. 

I thought the same thing lol. PSJ is now a favorite actor of mine, when I watched Secretary Kim, I didn't think much of him but now...boy he is so handsome. :lol:

And of course I am happy he could show his skills as actor, he is a really good one.

55 minutes ago, Broaddaylight said:

@serenilmauve It is not about plotholes or something. I thought they were just fine. It is about the weird pacing. Crash Landing On You and Chocolate had the same flaw. For example in CLOY it took them literally various attempts to get Seri to South Korea, but it turned out it was not really a big deal after seeing how Son Ye Jin, Hyun Bin, his soldiers and the bad guy crossed the border eventually. With Chocolate as well, we have Ha Ji Won chasing the ML for years. And when they are finally together, Ha Ji Won leaves him for Greece because of a weird encounter with her mom.  Itaewon has the same kind of issues. The general nature of the whole story can be summarized as follows: it builds up momentum, but then the result is always flattish.

Also, all of them seem to have strong principles, but if going gets tough they all throw their beliefs out of the window:

- JGS turning evil to the point of outing his dear friend as a transgender

- JGS shifting back to the good side

-  SRY's promise to OSA to make her unemployed, but as times passes OSA resigns herself

- OSA's promise to pay the dad in threefold... but when she get a job offered by Jangga she takes it immediately and screws over his son

And so on, and so on...

As said, it is a good drama, but the tropes used are all linear. There is no variety in character development or outcome: all characters have the same type of development with most ending up neglecting their first beliefs and all plans fail.

That's not called pacing issue;) Can't comment on CLOY and Chocolate, because I never watched them, but based on what you wrote 1st one: a writer trick to keep characters in a certain place and connect them with the vast majority of characters/situations in that specific place with creating obstacles, that would block characters from moving. The second one is a character decision, that you don't agree with. I can't comment further on how she was justified or not. But never ever character saying "I love you" implies, that they should stay together or be together from that exact moment. Forget about drama, there are plenty of examples in literature. 

Also, it's strange to fault characters for being linear, but at the same time wishing to stay them "linear" for the whole time. Basically I can summon up your whole complaint into "they should stay without changing with all their wishes working without any real obstacles in their way". It's not true even for real people. 

JGS never changed or "turned evil". He was inspired by PSR, but releasing that it's actually hard, he instead used his families' cheap tricks. His whole character is to show, how "good people" can seek easy ways and that "easy ways" can lead them to the wrong path. Basically the boy was confused and lost in his own feelings. Yi Seo's talk with him was pretty clear. And him wanting to win in business doesn't mean he wants to see PSR (or any of his friends) dead or harmed. Admitting that thing maybe went too far with the physical danger being involved in the mix is not "shifting back into the good side". 

Yeah, because "time passed" lol Feelings, goals, priorities can change with time (9 episodes passed between bus scene and ep.15), with PSR still being close with OSA, but not that close. From the start, her resigning from Jangga wasn't his fight to fight. It should've been her own decision. She entered Jangga out of her own fear, greed, and ambition. She should've left them on her own terms releasing that stable job, nice car and house are not worth sacrificing your own true wishes and feelings. Quitting her job in Jangga is not PSR's character arc, but OSA's.

I'm not sure if you remember, but she said it to alive and well Mr.Park, when Jangga wasn't even in the picture. Then her other emotions took her other way. You know, it happens, when the situation in your life changes. In the end, she remembered where her true gratitude should be and it's not with Jangga. 

Basically, it seems like you just don't wanna think too hard about what actually going on, sorry;) Because in reality there is (in drama) plenty of different type of approaches characters take; Sae Roy and others succeeding in one way, failing in others. Like all of us in real life;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

In my opinion, PSR kneeling in front of Chairman Jang is not forgetting about his pride. I take it as being mature. It shows the guy's strength of character. Yes, he wanted to save a life. Moreover, kneeling removes the devil off his back. Old man Jang said he's not going to harass PSR as long as he kneels before him. So PSR knows that kneeling will not hurt his pride. He is not going to give up on anything. He is going to be the winner. He's on his way up. He'll achieve his goals, with YS and his Dan Bam family. He's showing inner strength over a frail, old, and petty dying man who lost his way and his principles due to greed. It's not going to change anything. Jangga will fall when old man Jang dies. He lost SA, his son JGS will definitely not go back to him and JGW is going down. He will die alone and Jangga will be in the hands of other people.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I just don't get why they keep mentioning decade or ten years like in 15th episode and even in  first scene of 16th episode. It has been 15 years. Is is translation error or even korean writer messed up the timeline. Because that is messy mistake. And it irritating to the core. Like criminal head saying he know sae royi for 10 years when he knew from the start of his jail time. I hate such inconsistency in otherwise perfectly written show

• Like 1

Just want to thank everyone who worked hard to give us this drama, from the cast, director, and writer to everyone else who was behind the scenes, thank you so much for making my days brighter :heart:  I'm going to miss discussing IC on here with all of you. 

• Like 4

First half

First scene was epic . Sae royi showed mirror to the Chairman Jang. Chairman lost his self respect in his own eyes that he needed to go that low to make Sae royi go on knees but it got clear to him he lost even ounce of respect. he was ruthless but not that pathetic. He was a self made man who reached such heights and that needs ruthlessness but he was still a self respecting man. He lost that! Nothing more shameful than losing respect in your own eyes!:thumbsdown:

Yiseo is really human because she cares for herself. She knew Geun soo will be safe, so she ran away lmaooooooo. And please most will do in such situations! Yes they won't attack him fatally.. As Geun won made cear he wants to kill her only. Her brain works sharp in such situations. And Sae royi and Seung kwon conversation. And how they all have become a family who cares about each other!:heart:

Lol The confession. Not the best moment and place and situation to confess but we will take it lol. It took him 5 years for lord sake!:blush:

Although when he kicked Geun won for the first time, he could've taken the car and ran , but without drama how show will survive? Sometimes drama is needed to spice it up! And it was also to settle the past scores!  That livestock thing, this is how many rich think like. I love how writers touchup such subjects!:bawling:

I loved how Sae royi finally wants to be happy. Finally, he think about his happiness after all these years. I am happy he thought about himself finally. And Soo Ah finally did right job, atleast i will stop hating her. Also loved Geun won and ho jin interaction and how bullying leaves scar on you/ But gladly he confronted him and is finally over it. Happy for him.:)

Also loved Beyong heon and Min jung scene. detective daddy can solve cases but his love life , he is bad at it ! Haha i can relate to him because some men are clueless even when it is written on their faces which both daughter and director can clearly see. Well a ride in truck, is a good start i guess. I love how they have developed stories of side characters which is usp of this drama:D

Also loved Yiseo's mother scene. She has every right to do so because she is a mother who lost her daughter and her insults are justified for her. Lol Mother word was enough to met her. Sae royi doesn't know the art of being subtle :wub:

• Like 3

Stupid and lame. Old man Jang would start wailing like a little girl and beg for forgiveness. A guy super proud like that to his sworn enemy? Make it realistic please. A guy like that should be depicted as going down on his shield, not begging for mercy like a little schoolgirl. Ridiculous to make the main villain go from a tough ruthless killer type to a little effeminate girl. The lower half of KDM's face.....ugh....not to mention the top half isnt that great either.

• Unamused 1

4 hours ago, marybongiovi said:

I thought the same thing lol. PSJ is now a favorite actor of mine, when I watched Secretary Kim, I didn't think much of him but now...boy he is so handsome. :lol:

And of course I am happy he could show his skills as actor, he is a really good one.

Ikr.....i watched EVERY drama he starred in. I just really liked the way he acts from the beginning but i didnt like him as a man that much. But when i watched him in Fight my way, i slighty began to really like him and then ice on the cake The divine fury.....Waouh. i thought i couldnt fall for him more and here I am now....i dont even have words, he is SO talented and so HANDSOME to me now lol

The finale was pure hapiness. It really made me happy, like it gave me love and strenght to go on with my life. I am serious it really touched my heart in ways i didnt think it could be possible, even, dethroning my all time favorite melo Secret garden

• Like 3

@serenilmauve You took it a bit literally when I meant linear. It is difficult to explain as I am not talking about their character as one-dimensional per say, but more about the trajectory of "arriving at their personality". It all has the same cookie-cutter formula.

As said, the reason I am rambling on about this whole series is because I initially thought it was going to be the best series ever, but a bit passed the midway of the episodes the story became less gripping. I thought it could pass 20% viewership because it genuinely had a good story (and not because it catered to the masses such as CLOY), but eventually the ratings dropped because the story lost its power. It misses a bit of "spice"/edginess. For example, agree or disagree... Initially they introduced the public to two characters that SK never has seen: a transgender and a person of colour. You would think they would play a major role in the second part to represent the Itaewon-vibe. But both roles were diminished and the writer fell back to traditional characters such as CSK and JGS, who are easier to digest by the SK public. In the end there was not a lot of "Itaewon" in "Itaewon Class". In fact, not only did they leave the real misfits out of the story, they also stopped going to Itaewon physically (except for a few dates).

Also watching Ep. 16 right now. It feels weird that they have come to a point where they have to resolve everything as brutes with violence again. It also does not make sense to go with two people to a bunch of gangsters.