[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

I mentioned before SRY is someone who lives his life with a set of principles because of his father. Like SRY said, he didnt want to live a life of regrets & consequences hence him always being a good honest man. Ep 14 perfectly illustrates SRY's mindset & puts everything in perspective, specifically how he sees JYS. He always had feelings for JYS way before the pub/rejection scene. But he was lying to himself in that truth/dare game scene with Danbam & SA. Watch for the nuance in SRY's expression when he answers each question regarding JYS. Every questions he pauses/ponder. The reason why SRY didnt want to accept those feelings 4 years before because of 'consequences'.

1. Being in love/working with a 20 yrold, people will gossip.

2. GS is a friend & he has feelings for her so SRY didnt want to come between that.

3. Lastly Saeroy liking Soo Ah is an obligation he feels he needs to do, not want.

Yes SRY liked SA for 10 years but it changed once YS, his 'luck', came into his life. His feelings started to waver, specifically when SRY & JYS went on that bus trip together & afterwards. He keeps telling himself he likes Soo Ah so he doesnt want to hurt SA's feelings even though he actually likes someone else. In 2020(present day) SRY doesnt tell SA he likes her either because what he feels towards her is not romantic anymore. He simply just likes her, that is it. Remember that truth/dare game when GS tells JYS that she will come to him after he takes over J Co.

SRY reaction was of suprise & somewhat taken aback. Fast foward to that scene when he saw JYS & GS entering the cafe together, SRY was in a state of distraught/anguish & couldnt keep is emotions in check, matting his hair when hes either nervous or flustered, so he probably did not like the sight of them together. SRY continued to live his live without consequences, but he ends up living with regrets. SRY lie/hurted himself supressing those feelings for 4 yrs & disregarding JYS's affection/love hence he keeps telling YS not to say/do things for him. Thats why he said 'Now I regret that day alot" which refers to that rejection scene. SRY now decides that he'll live selfishly for once because of love, something that he never allowed himself to. He was his own barrier & kept those feelings towards JYS all to himself for 4yrs.

SRY genuinely likes/in love with JYS. It's not out of pity. Btw, this ep made me so emotional lol. I teared up seeing SRY's revelation/coming to terms about accepting his feelings for JYS when he thought about all the things she did for him as he looked at the drawing JYS drew years ago & JYS being his 'luck' in his life when she ran to him that night. That line at the end 'Now I regret that day alot...Right now I miss you like crazy" shows how much he regretted not letting himself love her like how she loved him all those years who stood by his side/whom he needed & want.

• Like 9
  • Love 10

Good morning from my side of the world! Due to covid 19 spread prevention, we all get long holidays here and works at home instead. 

Dunno this is good news or bad news. But because of this. I had lots of time to rest at home while watching more dramas. 

No preview yet???

10 hours ago, platinumbeauty said:

Anyone has any webtoon spoiler as to what happened from here on?! --- I can't wait till next week lol!

Also a link to the webtoon plz if you have!

You can spoil yourself here. But they don't provide eng subs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

You can spoil yourself here. But they don't provide eng subs. 

Website itself is in Korean! I can't access those chapters. May be have to log in or something?

ETA - Never mind, found a free link to access the webtoon! Thanks for your help!

• Like 2

Waiting for Ep15 & 16 is pure torture. My heart cant take it. 

Loving all the episodes so far. My current favourite kdrama at the moment. 

PSJ always performed in all his kdrama/movies while KDM is my new favourite actress. Love her in The Witch. 

Nara has improved a lot from her last drama. Some people might say otherwise but we are all entitled to our opinion as long as it doesn't hurt others negatively right. 

I hope they will extend until Ep20 just cause i want to see more sweet moments between SRY & YS but people might complaint that it will be too draggy. Arghhh but i will still watch them :bawling:

'

• Like 6

4 hours ago, platinumbeauty said:

Website itself is in Korean! I can't access those chapters. May be have to log in or something?

ETA - Never mind, found a free link to access the webtoon! Thanks for your help!

Hi, if you don't mind, can you DM me the link to read in English?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Edited by Eduardo Geofredo

I have quick rewatched those scene where there are scenes of SRY and SA and also SRY and SY.

I realised SY has causes SRY to exude different emotions from his usual character.  

After SY SRY 1st meeting... SRY suddenly bang on the table angrily thinking he met a crazy woman.  When he hardly demostrate this kind of anger when he is alone.

SA hook her arms around SRY and happily wanted to help see SRY account and see how she can help him save as his pub not doing well.  Only to realise he knows alots and does not need her help.

But SRY 2nd meeting with SY has already intrigued him regarding her comments of what he might is not doing right with his pub advertising.

Follow by their 3rd meeting after "saving" her from the man, she uses the sharing marketing strategy to spend longer time with him.  Only 3 meetings + SY asking right questions, he had already told her so many things that he may have not share with SA.  Also she received her first pat on the head from SRY as he is impressed with her marketing strategy.

Then we all know is luckiest day when SY decided to join Dambam.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eduardo Geofredo said:

Hi, if you don't mind, can you DM me the link to read in English?

Thank you in advance.

It isn't fully translated yet. English one has few chapters only.

The one I found has free access to all chapters but in Korean!

Actor Park Bo Gum will make cameo appearance on Itaewon Class final episode. His filming has been completed

Source :

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000805650

Park Bo Gum Confirmed To Make Cameo In “Itaewon Class” Finale

Mar 16, 2020
by D. Kim

Park Bo Gum is making a special appearance on “Itaewon Class”!

On March 16, an industry representative reported that the actor will be making a cameo in the final episode of the JTBC drama.

In response to the report, a source from the drama confirmed, “It is true that Park Bo Gum is appearing in the final episode of the drama. Please look forward to what kind of role he will be playing.”

Park Bo Gum’s appearance is reportedly due to his connection with the “Itaewon Class” PD (producing director) Kim Sung Yoon. Park Bo Gum previously starred in Kim Sung Yoon’s drama “Love in the Moonlight.”

The final episode of “Itaewon Class” will air on March 21 at 10:50 p.m. KST.

Source : Soompi

Edited by Anjalifairy
  • Like 3

PSJ updated his IG :lol: with caption, that this is the last week...

Same mood here :tears: I waited for this drama since August 2019... Can’t believe, that this is the last week already :tears:

B87-CF2-B9-205-C-4775-A3-B7-267253936-B8

Gaho’s OST hit #1 on Melon B)

online event announcement

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

PSJ updated his IG :lol: with caption, that this is the last week...

Same mood here :tears: I waited for this drama since August 2019... Can’t believe, that this is the last week already :tears:

The caption now trending no 4 on naver :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 2

57 minutes ago, Anjalifairy said:

The caption now trending no 4 on naver :lol:

Really? Looks like a lot of people in SK will have same withdrawal syndrome as me xD

It’s been a long time since I enjoyed the drama so much;) Happy, that PSJ was part of it as a big bonus :wub:

• Like 8
  • Love 2

I read some people expecting him to remember first his father, not Yiseo, but I believe people in the stress (when dying) actually think about their alive beloved ones, and worry about leaving them alone. Both him and his father thought first about most important person in their lives that would suffer if they die. 

Also I don’t know who decided to use it, but this camera work to portray accident is truly terrific and brutal at the same time :cold_sweat: I just can’t watch both accidents without covering my eyes :bawling::sweat_smile:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

19 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

I mentioned before SRY is someone who lives his life with a set of principles because of his father. Like SRY said, he didnt want to live a life of regrets & consequences hence him always being a good honest man. Ep 14 perfectly illustrates SRY's mindset & puts everything in perspective, specifically how he sees JYS. He always had feelings for JYS way before the pub/rejection scene. But he was lying to himself in that truth/dare game scene with Danbam & SA. Watch for the nuance in SRY's expression when he answers each question regarding JYS. Every questions he pauses/ponder. The reason why SRY didnt want to accept those feelings 4 years before because of 'consequences'.

2. GS is a friend & he has feelings for her so SRY didnt want to come between that.

3. Lastly Saeroy liking Soo Ah is an obligation he feels he needs to do, not want.

Yes SRY liked SA for 10 years but it changed once YS, his 'luck', came into his life. His feelings started to waver, specifically when SRY & JYS went on that bus trip together & afterwards. He keeps telling himself he likes Soo Ah so he doesnt want to hurt SA's feelings even though he actually likes someone else. In 2020(present day) SRY doesnt tell SA he likes her either because what he feels towards her is not romantic anymore. He simply just likes her, that is it. Remember that truth/dare game when GS tells JYS that she will come to him after he takes over J Co.

SRY reaction was of suprise & somewhat taken aback. Fast foward to that scene when he saw JYS & GS entering the cafe together, SRY was in a state of distraught/anguish & couldnt keep is emotions in check, matting his hair when hes either nervous or flustered, so he probably did not like the sight of them together. SRY continued to live his live without consequences, but he ends up living with regrets. SRY lie/hurted himself supressing those feelings for 4 yrs & disregarding JYS's affection/love hence he keeps telling YS not to say/do things for him. Thats why he said 'Now I regret that day alot" which refers to that rejection scene. SRY now decides that he'll live selfishly for once because of love, something that he never allowed himself to. He was his own barrier & kept those feelings towards JYS all to himself for 4yrs.

SRY genuinely likes/in love with JYS. It's not out of pity. Btw, this ep made me so emotional lol. I teared up seeing SRY's revelation/coming to terms about accepting his feelings for JYS when he thought about all the things she did for him as he looked at the drawing JYS drew years ago & JYS being his 'luck' in his life when she ran to him that night. That line at the end 'Now I regret that day alot...Right now I miss you like crazy" shows how much he regretted not letting himself love her like how she loved him all those years who stood by his side/whom he needed & want.

* Clapping *  well said @greenwatch08 The bus trip they did become closer. Her tears to seeing his scars, her knowing him better than himself and when they are able to talk about anything makes them so special 

I remember the episode when she walked to him told he want him lol this scene you can see he was shaken in that scene. JYS believe in him from the start and stood by him. When she saw PSy she saw a man who is in pain and only wanted to help him get the freedom he wanted so much since the death of his father. 
giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29badbb229193a070f3d

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 5:02 AM, greenwatch08 said:

Final 2 episodes of IC is coming, and I on the other hand, can't help but feel disappointed. What felt like a fresh, intelligent and courageous script turned out to be pretty basic. I haven't read the webtoon and rightfully a drama watcher shouldn't have to know its origins or backstory from a webtoon. My take is fresh as a drama-watcher and screen writer only.

Stellar acting with amazing camerawork can't hide the fact that the script is a let-down. This story begins with a long exploration into the history of the hero SR, his nemesis Jangga & Co and his initial love interest SA.

After establishing their backstory and the impending quest SR must take to achieve his goals, we fast forward to his release where he shared his first meeting with SA at Itaewon on Halloween. Here we get to see the development of both their characters; SR's resolve and "grand plan" and SA's survival instinct and courage to admit what she needs to do to survive as an orphan. Respectable, exciting, and we look forward to future episodes.

Fast forward another 7 years SR has successfully opened a pub presumably from his savings earning money as a deep sea fisherman. We look forward to this grand plan and development between SR and SA. After all, they had seven long years. Some knowledge must be gained. Surely SR has a grand plan, and SA, whose closest thing to a father was killed by her very employers.

As the episode progressed, the truth is, SR has no idea how to succeed in running a pub let alone create an empire to defeat Jangga & Co. He went by seven years without a plan, save for the fact that he only bought 1% of shares of Jannga. From a screen writer's standpoint, it served no purpose but to gain an ally within Jannga in the form of Minjung. Basically his 7 year plan would've flopped and shattered to pieces if he hadn't met YS. Yes his principles of caring for the staff and community-mindedness are admirable, but the show did not prove or emphasise that his main traits are the things that move the plot along. From this point onwards, everything falls on the burden of YS.

The following episodes we see none of the strength, courage or intelligence of the main lead SR or SA (which I assume was the whole point of the show). Their relationship did not progress - in fact it was not even explored. We were left hanging. Instead what we see is a 20 year old genius brat sexually harassing her boss. Imagine working with a colleague who tells you she loves you every day and kisses you while you were drunk. Even worse, imagine if the roles were reversed and colleague was a male and he did that to a female whom he "loves very much". Her justification for this? Because she is good at her job. I understand this is just a drama but with cutting edge avant garde identity themes like accepting quasi-foreigners with Toni's arc and the true courage of the transgender cook's arc, SR and YS's story is extremely disappointing, disconcerting and unacceptable.

Then, just like a sad case of Stockholm Syndrome, all resolve, determination and guile goes out the window when SR realises he is actually in love with YS, not SA. And for SA, also another sorry case of Stockholm Syndrome, becomes tamed by Jangga and cries in front of the chairman like basic bij. It is not okay to force your feelings on another person and be rewarded. It is also not okay to show that money is all it takes to "tame" someone after killing their foster father. This is poor scriptwriting.

The story has no longer become about SR or SA or Jangga & Co. It's actually a story of how a girl, if you do a fantastic job, you can get away with many things, and eventually make the person whom you love, love you back. Also, you have to help him get revenge. Also, it helps if you guilt trip him regularly because he owes you his success. Themes of using a person are thrown loosely. She is a well paid staff and founding member, but hey, use the guilt anyways.

The 4 year gap after the success of IC addressed and developed nothing character-wise, other than the fact they became rich, it's as though they came back from a long summer holiday and the opposing characters are only seeing each other for the first time in many years. Same harassment, same passiveness, just bigger building and better clothes.

I doubt we will see much redemption from SR or SA in the final episodes. In fact it feels like I should root for Jangga. At least I know he's the only one who stayed true to his character - being an richard simmons. The plot has crossed the rubicon, I can't see it resolving back to the main characters and their saving actions to close each other's arc successfully. It has become a strange case of co-dependence and exploiting each other (deliberately or not) for the win. If Jangga & Co is petty, calling a dying chairman to tell him not to die feels somewhere within an equally lowball range. Especially when much of the work is done not by you, but by your harassing colleague. There are many great K-dramas out there. Itaewon Class, isn't one of them.

Edited by dvoran
typo
  • Confused 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 3

OSEN | 2020. 03. 16. 7:54 AM

V (BTS) directly visits Park Seo Joon at filming set for final episode of "Itaewon Class"

E894E480-23E3-491A-BEB0-DDEB00B745FC.jpg

V (BTS) has shown his especially close friendship with Park Seo Joon.

V (26 years old, BTS) went to the filming set to support actor Park Seo Joon (33 years old) in the last filming session.

According to information collected by OSEN on March 16, on the afternoon of the same day, V visited the filming set in a suburb near Seoul of the drama "Itaewon Class" (JTBC, screenwriter Jo Kwang Jin, director Kim Sung Yoon, Kang Min Gu).

The drama "Itaewon Class", which is adapted from the webtoon of the same name, is set to end with episode 16 aired on March 21 (Saturday).

While the drama is about to reach the final stage, this afternoon, Park Seo Joon expressed his regret through a post on his personal SNS, saying, "This week's episode is the last already?" As for V, he has invigorated his close brother when coming to the set to support Park Seo Joon.

On March 13, V gifted the song "Sweet Night" performed by himself as an OST for "Itaewon Class". "Sweet Night", the song named after Park Sae Ro Yi's Danbam pub in the drama, is an indie-pop track based on acoustic sound. V also got involved in the production of this song.

Regarding the reason for performing the OST for "Itaewon Class", V said, "I read the webtoon of this work first and at the time, I was impressed the most by the character Park Sae Ro Yi. Therefore, I'm very happy when my beloved brother takes on this role."

Park Seo Joon and V became close after co-acting in the drama "Hwarang" (KBS2) aired in 2016. They are close to actor Park Hyung Sik (30) who also appeared in this drama. In addition, actor Choi Woo Sik (31) who had good chemistry with Park Seo Joon in the sitcom "Family" (2012) is also close to the two.

On the other hand, BTS officially wrapped up promotional activities for the full album vol.4 "MAP OF THE SOUL: 7".

OSEN = Reporter Choi Yi Jung / nyc@osen.co.kr 
Kim Bo Ra / purplish@osen.co.kr
Photo = OSEN DB
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive 
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 6

@dvoran

Without YS, SRY's plan would have diminished but not ultimately since she isnt the only one who helped him in his business. He has Lee Hojin & Kang and Danbam crew. He needs an ally in Minjung because she is a one of the director of J Co. He wanted to buy a seat into reelecting/take JDH out of his position. Obviously it didnt work, which is the point. It's an obstacle, like in a hero's journey. He has to undergo certain trials & fail to find other way to succeed. He's accumulating specific people with certain attributes on his side so that he can reached that success. Isnt that what most CEO/boss of a corporate management/businesses do? Im assuming that's what the writer is trying to illustrate. SRY got the idea to start the business & it went from there. YS is his luck so he's grateful in that he met her who helped him in his business. YS mentioned that she wanted to find love & success. Propping up Danbam & liking SRY and wanting him to reciprocate back is a desire. Is the way she goes about it questionable/unacceptable? YES it is. But her inexcusable actions are not played out to be romanticized. The viewers are highly aware of her actions & so are the characters/peers around her in the story. 

SA was always driven by money & success. She wanted to live a good life with a financially stable job because she was an orphan. No one tamed her.

She decided/chose to work for the company.

When she decides to work for JDH all those years & he reveals that he is dying, ofcourse she's going to cry because she feels in debt to him for giving her a scholarship/allow her to work at J Co. JDH is a manipulative geezer so those words coming out of his mouth is pretty on brand of his character. So dying of pancreatic cancer for all his past action is karma. SRY telling him not to die is not a lowball thing to do because JDH is a terrible person, who was responsible for covering up his father's death/SRY's imprisonment. Cant compare apples & oranges together. SRY still wants JDH to genuinely apologize/kneel for what he did. 

SA & SRY's relationship is stagnant. I didnt read the webtoon either but from watching the show, it's obvious that the writers didnt intend for them to be together. Most of their conversations & scenes are repetitive. That's the point. Their long term crush

/like for eachother is stale. It never goes beyond liking eachother or even close to love. SRY is a socially inept

/awkward kind of person. Hes not well versed in the 'romance' department & working rigoriously nonstop trying to build his life back up through various jobs/manual labor 7 years shows he doesnt have time for a well rounded social life. He liked SA for a long time, but his feelings wavered when YS came into the picture. Theres a difference in accepting/admitting to the feelings you already have for someone vs finally realizing you love someone. SRY already had feelings for YS before the rejection scene. He just decided now to accept/admit it & go against his principles.

IC has its flaws & shortcomings, no doubt. YS isnt a perfect/remotely good person obviously, since shes purposely written that way. Shes heavily flawed & has inexcusable actions. I acknowledge that many times in this thread. I'm going to refrain from giving my overall opinion about the show until it finishes. I have my own (eyebrow'raising) opinions about the writing but as for now, I'm going to continue watching it & see how it plays out.

• Like 12
  • Love 1