[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

im not sure y people are too invested in Team SooAh vs Team Yiseo.. i hv no problem with both of them.. yes they are flawed but they are not bad ppl.. Yiseo is condescending and blunt but she’s honest and i think her honesty is what DanBam fam needs right now.. and SooAh.. girl is selfish but she is just looking out for herself.. 

@sueeila ahaha hi girlfriend.. glad to see you here.. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

@wisely1300 i get what you mean, some of the views are rather unfair to SA (not pointing to this forum specifically, i read comments everywhere including youtube/insta).

For example. Even when she says "you are too shining to me", it can be interpreted as SA blaming PSR for making her feel guilty, SA blames PSR for outshining her, SA looking down on PSR and doesn't want him to succeed.. 

But my instant interpretation on that phrase was that she thinks that PSR is too good for her (he is the kind guy who is impossible loyal, understanding, hardworking, persistent, morally just etc etc) and she feels she doesn't deserve him.. simple as that.. she also calls PSR " a fool" for loving her so long.. no negative associations..

No offense to SR x YS shippers but i think SA genuinely likes PSR. Romantically if i may add. I don't think she has eyes for other guys.. none of those she met shines like PSR.. Director Kang even introduces her to blind dates but she was just not interested.. anyway, my point is, YS has her own charms, shippers don't need to put down SA (like SA pretending to like SR with intentions, she is selfish etc) in order to justify the ship.. just my humble 2 cents..

@Matilda_Anne i think we may be the few that actually enjoys all characters lol.. and I just transit from western shows with morally questionable leads (House of Cards, Peaky Blinders, Breaking Bad etc) to IC so IC characters are still mild and understandable for me.. the character mix is kinda refreshing for a kdrama.. i'm actually excited for the PSR underdog story and SA x YS frenemy dynamics than the love lines

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, wisely1300 said:

Also, the hate for SA in this thread is ridiculous, especially from those who claims that she hasn't done anything for SR. Really? First of all, if not for SA, SR would either be rotting in jail right now for murder or dead because he attempts to kill GW and gets shot instead. SA literally saves and allows him to even have a future, but I guess for some reason y'all all overlook that. She was the one who was able to get through to him at his lowest. Not only that, she was a friend, an emotional support for him at his lowest moments, from the funeral all throughout his jail time. It may seem insignificant, but emotional support is literally so freaking important to stay sane, so again, why are y'all discounting that? Her letters were the reasons he cite that helped him tremendously to keep his head up and get out of jail still a normal person. While he was in jail, she also was the one who helped liquidated his father's restaurants and gets him money for it, so I guess y'all are forgetting that too? 

Also, please name a single thing that SA has done to intentionally hurt SR. What exactly has she done?? Accept a scholarship and then work at Jangga even tho she knew the boss was evil? So then should all Apple, Walmart, Amazon workers quit because all those companies (and basically all big corps) heavily abuse child labor and their own workers in third-world countries....And SR was basically gone for 10 years (3 years in jail and then 7 years fishing), so she had to survive completely alone. At that point, you take what you can get to live. And for all those people who wants her to quit Jangga and join Danbam to be a good friend for Sae Ro Yi...what type of friend would Sae Ro Yi be if he lets his love and his friend quit a great job for his sake?? Heck, how many of y’all would turn down a great job offer simply because the company’s ethics are not good? Is Soo Ah a bit selfish at times? Sure, but who tf in real life is not looking out for their best interests? She’s a person with her own worth too, and as long as she does not hurt her friends (AND AGAIN, SHE HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING THAT HURT SAE RO YI), why isn’t she allowed to chase after her own desires? Maybe once she's actually forced to choose between the company and SR it'll be different, but for now, she hasn't done anything to intentionally hurt him. 

At the end of the day, for me, right now SA is a much better match for SR because they understand each other. You can say whatever you want about SR opening up to JYS and needing her at his company, but yet JYS still does not understand him at all despite hearing his past and his revenge plan. SA does (that's how she was easily able to help JYS). Conversely, SR gets her, that because of her past, right now she can't be on any team but team Soo Ah. I just want the girl who has been dealt so many losing hands to win once in her life, and the girl who has always had it easy and found everything so easy to learn that in life, sometimes you don't get what you want (and plus GS is a fantastic option B, just saying). 

SA is getting more hate than the likes of Ms Kang, who is also aware that the chairman covered up for his son. Ms Kang even refers to it when she meets with SRY and his buddy. Ms Kang also does not do anything to help PSRY avoid jail, whilst she most likely has the power to do something about it.

I think the fact that OSA is not well-liked by the viewers has less to do with the character, but more with the actress. Kwon Nara gives us quite a lethargic acting performance as OSA. She talks in a monotone voice, stretches her eyes wide open and likes to have her mouth half open all the time. Her face does not carry a lot of emotions, which is probably due to the fact that she is not experienced as an actress. Nara misses the subtleness in acting that KDB has. For example, when PSRY stripped JYS from her management tasks, you actually felt her pain when she was talking about sympathy. She incorporates weird voice cracks and heavy breathing in her acting instead of just screaming or crying like most actors do.

I felt that Nara's acting in her last project (Doctor Prisoner) was also quite lukewarm. In fact, she was supposed to play the FL in Doctor Prisoner, but it was hardly noticeable as she was outacted by the rest of the cast. In fact, Kim Byung Chul and Choi Won Young were supposed to be supporting characters, but eventually ended up having more lines and more prominent roles than she did.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Whisper2 said:

the character mix is kinda refreshing for a kdrama

yeah tbh they are jst like regular real life people, only portrayed in more dramatic way..  they arent perfect, they have issues but that’s what makes this drama relatable to so many people... 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Matilda_Anne said:

im not sure y people are too invested in Team SooAh vs Team Yiseo.. i hv no problem with both of them.. yes they are flawed but they are not bad ppl.. Yiseo is condescending and blunt but she’s honest and i think her honesty is what DanBam fam needs right now.. and SooAh.. girl is selfish but she is just looking out for herself.. 

Hahaha true! I agree with this. Personally, I neither hate nor love Sooah. She's just hustling, and I respect that because she's an orphan and that's the reason why she's a coward. Her priority should be to look out for herself, and she's doing a good job. Saeroyi respects that too that's why he always tells her that she can do whatever she needs to do even if it means crushing DanBam because Saeroyi knows he'll be fine. And yes, I'm rooting for Yiseo but I'm not excusing some of her behaviors. I'm excited to see her grow, and I have to say that perhaps 50% of my interest in Yiseo is because I like Kim Dami. With that said, I'm not interested in debating about Sooah vs. Yiseo. 

The major reason why I don't focus on Team Sooah vs. Team Yiseo is because the webtoon is complete. We already know how it ends, well, some of us who read the webtoon so I think it's useless to argue about this in a divisive manner. Also, all the plot lines - non-romantic or romantic - are interesting so I'll just let everything play out. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@wisely1300

No need for apologies. You were stating your opinion & I was stating mine. I know that you never said Danbam wasnt important to SRY. I'm just making a statement that they are important to him. I know you weren't directing the response to me about SYR & SA. I'm just responding to it in regards to SRY & his relationship with Danbam. 

It is completely fine/okay to like or dislike whichever characters on IC. Reading & discussing/analyzing them is what makes the thread engaging and interesting. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

This drama has two equal FL. One is not pure good and the other one is not pure evil. The writer created each of them has strength and weakness. No wonder for me if they end up being comparable. There are people who prefers A rather than B and vice versa. Although i like YS more here, but i'm completely fine with those who defend SA or being on SA's side. We all here are from different countries, different cultures, different ages, so i think it's natural that everyone has different perspective in responding each character and situation in this drama. All based on our own experiences that we've been through, what we see, we hear, also the culture in our surrounding community. For me there's no absolute true or false in everyone's opinion here. It's just a matter of who we agree more with. No hard feelings ^_^

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I always wonder if it were Yi Seo who was Sae Ro Yi’s childhood friend and not Soo Ah what would have happened. I bet you, Jang Geun Won would have been dead by now and Yi Seo will be the one to help bury and hide the body for Sae Ro Yi hahaha. Then this would really be a totally different drama lol.

But anyway kidding aside, the discussions here are quite amazing and lots of different POV with regards to either Yi Seo or Soo Ah.

I feel we will always choose the one that we can relate to the most in how we are if ever we fall in love/like someone.

Me, if I love someone, even with all my hang ups, and I see that someone I love being destroyed right in front of my eyes then I would definitely react quite fiercely and would definitely do all I can to stop the person who was hurting the one I love. That was always the deal breaker for me when it comes to who do I want Sae Ro Yi to end up with. And obviously only Yi Seo has been like that from the moment she realizes she likes Sae Ro Yi. That is what truly endear her to me, even when she is so flawed in her make up that she keeps on encountering so many roadblocks in her pursuit of making Sae Ro Yi finally have his sweet night. She knows to achieve that she needs to help Sae Ro Yi accomplish his dream of Danbam growing and being better than Jangga and also to finally exact his revenge and justice to the people that wronged him and killed his father. Of course, she wants Sae Ro Yi to reciprocate as that is only natural but I think more and more she just want him to be happy and not suffer anymore. With Soo Ah, every time she mentions the phrase “on your way to making me unemployed”, I find this very annoying as it feels like she is making it about her. Always about her. And to think for 10 years now, she has been living a much more comfortable life than what Sae Ro Yi has gone through.... sigh... I want to sit down with her and really ask her “what is wrong with you? This is not about you.” Sigh... so yeah no matter how much I try to understand her, I just can’t... 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, Matilda_Anne said:

@sueeila ahaha hi girlfriend.. glad to see you here.. 

Hi girlfriend.. glad to see you here too dear :love:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Broaddaylight

The thing is SA, besides the former cop/dad, is legitimately the only other person who can/could testify against JDH/JGW because she was a main witness since she knows about the car(plate situation). I'm not expecting her to be on SRY side since SRY doesnt expect anything from SA. Kang was percieved as part of the villain group from the get-go but now she decides to help SRY so people might shift opinions about her. I'm not saying she gets a pass nor is she good for doing this because she can flip side easily. But as of now, she is willing to help even if her job might be in jeopardy. 

I like JYS alot. I do not care/mind if people  dislike/detest JYS. I like discussing/responding in

regards about her character so most of my post tends to be about JYS. I like to discuss about all the characters in general whether I like/dislike them, but not as much focus/time I do with JYS. And I like KDM's performance alot. KN is fine as SA. Although I agree she does not have the nuance of KDM. It isnt really KN, more so the way SA is written because I dont find her that engaging to watch. But then again, this is just my opinion.

@Whisper2

It's pretty apparent that SA likes SRY early on. They both like eachother, no doubt. SA wanted to invite him to stay at her place for the night(insinuating sleeping together?) in which he declined to her disappointment & she wanted to kiss him vice versa if it weren't for JYS lol. The thing is they both arent initiating the 'let's date/be together' part. Thats where the dissonance between the two is at. They both feel like they arent worthy of eachother. SRY is a noble steed with a golden heart & SA feels like she isnt worth his time or maybe she's seeing something in him that's changed? Thats probably why she's egging/helping JYS? SA likes rich capable men as she tells SRY years ago so SRY takes that to the heart & wants to be super successful before asking her out I suppose? They obviously like eachother but do they want to physically be in each other's space/presense romantically(as in love)? As of now, it's hard to tell.

@Anjalifairy

Yes, they both are the main characters so the comparison is inevitable. Btw, people can also like a character & still critique them. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

But since the story about not giving up your principles for an easy life, I personally agree with narrative, that her working in Jangga knowing their history is very questionable. I'm pretty sure even in highly competitive SK there are better career options, than working for people, who you know killed your father figure.

If this revelation was said years ago and not 10 years after (which is now) ...it would have made a whole world of difference.  It was wait and see.... used Jangga for all its worth ....and hid this sentiment from the chairman (but you can tell the chairman knows this). 

This tells you who she is.... and quite understandable she is trying to survive.

Else, she could have stood on PSR's side back then....and not in silence, behind the scenes all these years. ...... Only when she learned (to her surprise!) PSR had amassed substantial cash and investments, and got his far.  She probably looked at PSR as a joke... and played along,  especially for someone pennyless, orphaned, delusional and desperate after coming out of jail.

Even today, it'll be delusional for an ex-con small pub owner to be able to put a dent on a 10-Billion Jangga Co by any means.  But, is she now beginning to believe its possible?   It still looks impossible... but not to YS, because she believed in him.

:o

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matilda_Anne said:

It's a love triangle situation with two dual-personality FL (which is a rarity) of course there will be a lot of discussion about them, their actions and how much they comparable with the male lead. 

There are 3 big points in drama to discuss: 
1) characters in a love triangle; 
2) the revenge part;
3) characters and their philosophy.

It's perfectly natural to discuss and analyze all those three things, imo. 

55-B85320-D288-4245-968-A-2-BA7-C2385-DF

credit: 

Spoiler

I will backtrack tomorrow and write answer to everyone, who wrote me. I’m sorry again;) 

Thank you all for being part of discussion. So much fun to read you all :w00t:

• Like 6
  • Love 1

oh guys dont get me wrong.. im not saying you shouldnt pick sides or shouldnt discuss about SA or YS.. of course you can like SA or YS or hate whoever u want.. what im saying is i jst dont understand why people are focusing too much on team SA vs YS.. there is no SA vs YS here.. the drama is not really about their rivalry... IMO this drama is about Jangga vs Danbam/PSR vs JDH.. the drama is not about romance or love triangle.. yes SR likes SA but other than telling SA how he feels, he doesnt really do anything about it. and SA is very straightforward to SR from the very beginning plus she doesnt even consider YS as her rival.. and YS, i think she hates SA not because SR likes SA, but because she sees her as one of Jangga people who are trying to bring DanBam/SR down (tbh does she truly hate SA?)... so is there really a love triangle or ‘SA-YS rivalry’ at this point? i jst dont see it yet. ofc if SA and YS are actively pursuing SR by competing against each other then i would understand this whole commotion about team SA vs team YS. <ps this is jst my humble opinion..it’s totally fine to disagree with me :)>

but i must say discussing about characters and the story here is fun.. i truly appreciate everyone’s opinion in this thread.. keep it up :blush:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Matilda_Anne said:

oh guys dont get me wrong.. im not saying you shouldnt pick sides. of course you can like SooAh or Yiseo or hate whoever u want.. what im saying is i jst dont understand why people are focusing too much on SooAh vs Yiseo.. there is no SooAh vs Yiseo here..IMO this drama is about Jangga vs Danbam/PSR vs JDH.. the drama is not even about romance or love triangle.. yes SR likes SA but other than telling SooAh how he feels, he dont really do anything about it. and SooAh is very straightforward to SR from the very beginning plus she dont even consider Yiseo as her rival.. and Yiseo, i think she hates SooAh not because SR likes SooAh, but because she sees her as one of Jangga people who are trying to bring DanBam down..  so is there really a love triangle or ‘SooAh-Yiseo rivalry’ at this point? i jst dont see it yet. ofc if SooAh and Yiseo are actively pursuing SR by competing against each other then i would understand this whole commotion about team SooAh vs team Yiseo.. 

but i must say discussing about characters and the story here is fun.. i truly appreciate everyone’s opinion in this thread.. keep it up :blush:

Saying that there is no Oh Soo Ah vs Jo Yi Seo going is a bit... boggling(?). Because there are active scenes going on between Oh Soo Ah and Jo Yi Seo confronting each other and their talk mostly about Park Sae Roy, not Jangga or DanBam. Jo Yi Seo’s problem with Oh Soo Ah is not Jangga; she is not against Jangga because of her personal vendetta, she is viewing them as enemies and cares about DanBam because of Park Sae Roy. She is feeling personally irritated by Oh Soo Ah, because she is right now holding Park Sae Roy’s heart. Just like Oh Soo Ah several times showed herself as “territorial” in front of Jo Yi Seo because of him.
Jangga vs DanBam is mostly Park Sae Roy’s story. Both women involved in it also mostly because of him. They’re not really in “active war”, but “cold war”. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

30 minutes ago, Matilda_Anne said:

@serenilmauve i guess we see things differently.. but it’s okay.. :)

I will wholeheartedly take your view, when they show us at least 2-3 times when Oh Soo Ah and Jo Yi Seo would actually talk with each other about “Jangga vs DanBam” without saying or mentioning anything about Park Sae Roy;) So far they didn’t even once pass a Bechdel test and their theme was mostly about his feelings xD

Kwon Nara posted photo from Honey Night bar in Itaewon (the one that belongs to Gwang Jin) with IC drama director(? not sure) and Gwang Jin himself;) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@serenilmauve

By any chance do you know the webtoon writer himself have a some sort of social media account? I been trying to find more of his content outside of the drama. I wish KDM would post more things on her IG lol. Shes too cuuute. I'm suprised with the abundance of fanart. It's really neat. All the fanart are awesome, especially the one with SRY & JYS. The one with the room scene is :confounded:

Lol the bechdel test. The female characters(SA, JYS, MHY, Kang) rarely/absently/do not interact with eachother onscreen. Most of time when they're onscreen it's in relation to SRY or other male characters. I really want more JYS & MHY content though. A good example/kdrama that would pass the bechdel test for me would 'Mother'.

@ari_bian

The one thing I like about JYS is how initiative she is. She's the 'lets ride or die', let's make sh^t happen kind of person. She is really gung-ho about everything & puts foward all her energy to that goal, similar to SRY. That's why the scene when they were on the bridge talking about Danbam's future about making the 'dream' happen when they say let's do it together, it was a nice touch/hinting about their future prospect. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

@serenilmauve

By any chance do you know the webtoon writer himself have a some sort of social media account? I been trying to find more of his content outside of the drama. I wish KDM would post more things on her IG lol. Shes too cuuute. All the fanart are awesome, especially the one with SRY & JYS. The one with the room scene is :confounded:.

Lol the bechdel test. Literally all the female characters(SA, JYS, MHY, Kang) rarely/absently/do not interact with eachother onscreen. Most of time when they're onscreen it's in relation to SRY or other male characters. I really want more JYS & MHY content though. A good example/kdrama that would pass the bechdel test for me would 'Mother'.

Yeap, here -> https://www.instagram.com/southwind7/

I know right, a lot of talented people drawing IC characters recently;)

I'm one of those people, who is very sensitive about female characters, but for some reasons, I'm okay with IC being revolved mostly around Park Sae Roy. Probably because women are compelling characters even if there is nothing to share and people discuss them a lot, while Park Sae Roy is a wholesome guy, but even if you think he is too idealist, overall his ideas and actions not wrong, so people rarely question him. And in vast discussion between OSA and JYS it's actually PSR who is turned into an object. And honestly, all characters, including men mostly talk about PSR between each other xD

• Like 3

@serenilmauve

Thanks for the link. Yes, all the fanart has been super. I have the same sentiments about female characters too though I would love to see some Dambam interaction between JYS & MHY because KDM & LJY are B) *thumbs up*. 

Most definitely. I love SRY as a character. He's one of the reason I stuck with the show in the first place. This is definitely his story so I dont mind that everything (should) revolve around him. One of the most compelling/admirable & a current favorite M/L in any drama in a while. He is like 'top tier' that good lol. Socially aware, openminded, compassionate & knows how to take care of folks. He's a keeper in my book lol. His patience is impeccable. The ENERGY he has. SRY is the kind of person that naturally attracts people. The thing is I like JYS alot too so I tend to ramble away about her. I like SRY & JYS alot together as well, whether it be platonic/romantic. They're great business partners. 

• Like 4