[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

img.gif

Spoiler

When you're the boss of DanBam, but your manager actually is the one, who bosses you around xD

img.gif

Spoiler

Their relationship summoned up in one gif. 

I feel like her trying to kiss him gave him hope in some way. Which was a bit cruel, because she honestly never had intentions act on her feelings, but she confused him enough. 

• Like 5

I am overwhelmed with the length and amount of one sided love in this show.

Is it possible to still have feelings towards a person you make no effort meet? No matter how good or bad or memorable a person is, can a real person cling so much to the past? Like for years? And without finding anything new about that person? And yes I am talking about PSY towards SA.

Based on the comics:

Spoiler

PSR still likes OSA after a few time skips, for 17 years. No urge to keep regular touch, only bump into each other by chance in time skips. Zero desire, doesn't even kiss once. I rather they tried to date each other, so they can have an early realization about each other (if they compatible in personality, if they can sacrifice for each other to make a relationship work etc). 

For so many years they lose influence in each others' life. A healthy relationship can make both become better and vice versa. But they didn't try it, they didn't even experience normal couple fights before. If they dated each other and it didn't work, at least it helps PSR to move on, to open up his heart to a new relationship. He deserves to be happy and not stucked to a past.

I guess the problem is that he is a man of consistency, and the author wouldn't break his character in ANY area. PSR can be so determined for anything, he is a marathon champion in terms of revenge spirit, work attitude, and love. 

Spoiler

So based on the comics, GS likes YS for more than 7 years, YS likes PSY for more than 7 years, PSY likes SA for 17 years, and

SA loves herself all her life.

And seems like nobody has their real (not stolen) first kiss yet at that point.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, Whisper2 said:

I am overwhelmed with the length and amount of one sided love in this show.

Is it possible to still have feelings towards a person you make no effort meet? No matter how good or bad or memorable a person is, can a real person cling so much to the past? Like for years? And without finding anything new about that person? And yes I am talking about PSY towards SA.

Based on the comics:

Hide contents

PSR still likes OSA after a few time skips, for 17 years. No urge to keep regular touch, only bump into each other by chance in time skips. Zero desire, doesn't even kiss once. I rather they tried to date each other, so they can have an early realization about each other (if they compatible in personality, if they can sacrifice for each other to make a relationship work etc). 

For so many years they lose influence in each others' life. A healthy relationship can make both become better and vice versa. But they didn't try it, they didn't even experience normal couple fights before. If they dated each other and it didn't work, at least it helps PSR to move on, to open up his heart to a new relationship. He deserves to be happy and not stucked to a past.

I guess the problem is that he is a man of consistency, and the author wouldn't break his character in ANY area. PSR can be so determined for anything, he is a marathon champion in terms of revenge spirit, work attitude, and love. 

Hide contents

So based on the comics, GS likes YS for more than 7 years, YS likes PSY for more than 7 years, PSY likes SA for 17 years, and

SA loves herself all her life.

And seems like nobody has their real (not stolen) first kiss yet at that point.

You should take into consideration, that real first love, especially if you were never able to actually experience it trends to cling with a person for a long time. You can move to be with other partners and 100% love them, but that special nostalgia feelings rarely disappear. Now imagine you 18 old boy, that lost his father and was sent into prison for 3 years. The only thing, that was a window into the world outside prison was a letter from your first love, where she wishes you "happiness now and always" and you made kinda promises to each other. After your release, your only happy and free from your emotions night was again with that same girl. On top of that same girl also reminds you of happy memories with your dad. Then you spend 7 years working like crazy fixated on your idea to avenge your dad and get justice for those who wronged your family. You met her again and she seems like the same sweet memories and nostalgia about your happy past. She is nice to you, she knows you, you can talk to her (a bit) about your troubles and past, while it's impossible to do with others and she looks like she also likes you too, just a bit in a hard place due to her own ambitions and you actually understand her. People say that there wasn't enough history between Oh Soo Ah and Park Sae Roy for him feel so much about her, but he doesn't need it. People also think he is okay, just because he is functioning fine and showing compassion and understanding for everyone around and takes care of those who are in need. But I think they showed us enough, that Park Sae Roy is far from being okay. He is in such a bitter place, that he sees some sweetness from Oh Soo Ah as a relief. And girl is not helping with her mixed attitude and words around him. She tried to kiss him, then says that he should not like her "because I'm now fully a Jangga person" (not even because "I don't like you"), lies about calling for police, asks if he still likes her and etc. 
Now Gun Soo being so fixated on Jo Yi Seo is questionable, but why not. The guy also grew up in an abusive household without any love. Which means he is not thinking and feeling, like a person, who had a stable childhood either. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

You should take into consideration, that real first love, especially if you were never able to actually experience it trends to cling with a person for a long time. You can move to be with other partners and 100% love them, but that special nostalgia feelings rarely disappear. Now imagine you 18 old boy, that lost his father and was sent into prison for 3 years. The only thing, that was a window into the world outside prison was a letter from your first love, where she wishes you "happiness now and always". After your release, your only happy and free from your emotions night was again with that same girl. On top of that same girl also reminds you of happy memories with your dad. Then you spend 7 years working like crazy fixated on your idea to avenge your dad and get justice for those wronged your family. You met her again and she seems like the same sweet memories and nostalgia about your happy past. She is nice to you, she knows you, you can talk to her (a bit) about your troubles and past, while it's impossible to do with others and she looks like she also likes you too, just a bit in a hard place due to her own ambitions and you actually understand her. People say that there wasn't enough history between Oh Soo Ah and Park Sae Roy for him feel so much about her, but he doesn't need it. People also think he is okay, just because he is functioning fine and showing compassion and understanding for everyone around and takes care of those who are in need. But I think they showed us enough, that Park Sae Roy is far from being okay. He is in such a bitter place, that he sees some sweetness from Oh Soo Ah as a relief. And girl is not helping with her mixed attitude and words around him. She tried to kiss him, then says that he should not like her "because I'm now fully a Jangga person" (not even because "I don't like you"), lies about calling for police, asks if he still likes her and etc. 
Now Gun Soo being so fixated on Jo Yi Seo is questionable, but why not. The guy also grew up in an abusive household without any love. Which means he is not thinking and feeling, like a person, who had a stable childhood. 

I like your take on this. After all, the 4 of them aren't regular people with regular experience anyway.. one thing i notice in the comics at about chapter 50 is that 

Spoiler

SA seems to subtly imply that she has been waiting for PSR to make the move on her, to ask her out as his gf.. she admits that she still likes PSR (she didn't tell him directly though).. 

The translated conversation is something like this (after another 7 time jump):

GS : do u like PSR?

SA : yes

GS : wow u like each other, why didn't you date? 

SA : if he wanted he would have asked.. but he is a fool

Being a fool can mean he doesn't take the chance, or it can also mean he already likes YS but didn't know?

• Like 1

I like your take on this. After all, the 4 of them aren't regular people with regular experience anyway.. one thing i notice in the comics at about chapter 50 is that 

Reveal hidden contents

SA seems to subtly imply that she has been waiting for PSR to make the move on her, to ask her out as his gf.. she admits that she still likes PSR (she didn't tell him directly though).. 

The translated conversation is something like this (another another 7 time jump):

GS : do u like PSR?

SA : yes

GS : wow u like each other, why didn't you date? 

SA : because he is a fool.. he didn't ask

I don't know korean enough, to read webtoon and for drama Gwang Jin changing PSR/OSA/JYS part significantly right now, so I wanna judge their relationship based on those changes/drama. 

@Anjalifairy He said his reason, why he is not asking her out, but I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but her actions sometimes come out like she is playing with him. Would she even say "yes", if he ever asked her out? Would she change her ambitions? Would she stop being part of Jangga? <_<

---

lol

Spoiler

• Like 6

@Anjalifairy @serenilmauve there is timing for everything and throughout the 17 years there must be some point when she can be swayed by PSR. This "What If" would forever be a question mark.

By the way I feel so bad for GS in the comics (why does the author like to torture our precious boys?)

Spoiler

He basically left Danbam because YS said she would date him if he becomes Jangga's successor. Only to be revealed that YS said that so that she can manipulate his position to PSR's advantage for revenge.

Ouch. Danbam was his happy place and PSR was the first adult he admire and respect so much.. he was robbed the 7 years of happiness, the unusual opportunity to be at a place with sense of belonging, and the chance to be able to work hard together with the people he like.. as well as being part of transforming a small pub to an empire.. all this for love? And how can YS treat him like this? GS was the only one that treated her as a friend in school when everybody else thinks she's a crazy b**ch. He lost all the friendship and experience when he went to the enemy side. And we knew how lonely he is to be associated with Jangga.

At this point i rather both boys turn womanizer than being tortured for love

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

48 minutes ago, serenilmauve said:

@Anjalifairy He said his reason, why he is not asking her out, but I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but her actions sometimes come out like she is playing with him. Would she even say "yes", if he ever asked her out? Would she change her ambitions? Would she stop being part of Jangga? <_<

Nope, she would never. The funny thing is people defend her that she's just being realistic and nothing is wrong with it, even PSR also always justifies her actions. But in the end, she herself admits that she has become what she is now by betraying him and using him -_-

• Like 5

@Anjalifairy realistically, who would even forgive Oh Soo Ah and be understanding of her in Park Sae Roy's position... I feel like almost everyone would've been mad if someone tried to pull something like that on them...
But, I do enjoy the complexity and duality of all characters in the drama. I went to read some blogs and listen to some podcast and it seems like some try to put characters in a small shoebox of emotions, where a character can be only either nice or bad and their motivations can be only about wanting to be that "nice" or "bad" person and nothing more. When even PSY and JDH have more complex motivations, than just being pure good or pure evil. While we as people realistically have a ton of different emotions and motivations, that sometimes even contradict each other, and because we do one thing right, it doesn't mean we wouldn't do wrong in other situations.

@Whisper2 I think it will be interesting and appropriate discussion for upcoming episodes. This storyline is coming soon;) 

A lot of things coming to be excited about and our cast is working really hard to bring all the right emotions;) 

776dfbcd3a0c064a5ef2ddf61d7ebded.gif

Spoiler

f4afb8c91ad66b2c216a7aced4661707.gif

5b0a98d0ebd99b395278f42bdd5a7206.gif

credit:

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Wow i never thought Kim Da Mi will surpass Park Seo Joon in the brand index.

She was absolutely the rising star of the drama.

Her presence is no joke. Glad she got the recognition! Way to go girl.

With CLOY ending who will got the no 1 Next week PSJ or KDM? 

Also glad Na Ra in top 10 she also deserve it!

Son ye jin and hyunbin+cloy is on another level so it is understanable they cant put dent to the king and queen. But be at ease because we got the prince and princess coming to take the spot

• Like 2

Hello, I don't post much, but I find this drama so refreshing, I had to join in on the fun.

There seems to be a lot of curiosity/confusion around Korean society on this thread. I think I can add to some of the discussions that are happening here.

First, when it comes to transgender, it is complicated. Korea is better than, say, US when it comes to accepting "gay" behavior. It is very common for man/man, woman/woman to show affection to each other. You will see plenty of same sex hand holding while walking through Seoul. It is also very common to see things like man dressed up like a woman, even on TV. Korea is a very old culture and older cultures have their very long-developed ways of accepting "gay" behavior.

However, while outwardly behavior is tolerated, society/legally they are not. There is no same sex marriage (and won't be any time soon) and open discrimination against LGBTQ is not uncommon. Thus, having a trans-gendered character on a TV show is a big deal.

This leads to my second observation, this drama is all about subverting the current Korean society.

There is a very clear line drawn between Jangga crew and Dan Bam crew. Jangga represents the traditional Korean society, where money and power means a great deal and people conform to the desires of the company. That is direct opposite of every character in Dan Bam.

PSRY will not just "go along" to "get along", which is basically what practically everyone does in Korea. He will do what he believe is right, even if it is something that will cause ruckus in the society.

JYS is a smart person who refuses to go to a "name" university. This is almost unheard of in Korea where kids spend 12 hours a day studying trying to get into the top colleges. JYS may be the biggest "rebel" of the entire crew.

HY's transgender character is as societal outcast as it gets in Korea.

CSK is a criminal trying to go straight, a pretty universal outcast throughout the world.

JGS is someone who eschews his wealthy background (even as an illegitimate son) and tries to make it on his own.

Toni is bi-racial which is still not something readily accepted in Korea.

The webtoon creator has created something that is very anti-Korean society and is trying to make some pretty deep statements. I find that very refreshing in K-Drama world where most anti-societal tendency displayed is just poor vs rich.

Soo-ah is the anti-PSRY. She actually has the most likely background, as an orphan, to rebel against the society. Orphans are not treated very well in Korean society as family means a great deal, even when it comes to getting a job. Which is why you should give this character a little slack on why she holds on to Jangga. Jangga accepts her for who she is (even as a wife material), and you really should not underestimate how important that is to an orphan like SA in Korea. Which is why she follows the society norms and does the bidding of the company, even if it means it may hurt someone as close as her family. 

Itaewon Class is a very refreshing story. It is really great to see that it is getting very solid ratings because it kind of reflects some of the resentment that Koreans, especially young, feels today against the establishment.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

@Anjalifairy realistically, who would even forgive Oh Soo Ah and be understanding of her in Park Sae Roy's position... I feel like almost everyone would've been mad if someone tried to pull something like that on them...
But, I do enjoy the complexity and duality of all characters in the drama. I went to read some blogs and listen to some podcast and it seems like some try to put characters in a small shoebox of emotions, where a character can be only either nice or bad and their motivations can be only about wanting to be that "nice" or "bad" person and nothing more. When even PSY and JDH have more complex motivations, than just being pure good or pure evil. While we as people realistically have a ton of different emotions and motivations, that sometimes even contradict each other, and because we do one thing right, it doesn't mean we wouldn't do wrong in other situations.

In PSR's position, the best thing I can do is to understand her choices but also acknowledge that we can no longer be friends. Forgiveness shall not be asked, and don't have to be given. Also doesn't matter she is right or wrong from a third person view.

Curtains should be closed and we would be strangers. If SA is up for business rivalry, be my guest. No apology expected or given. But like i mentioned PSR's character is persistent and sometimes stubborn.. author wants him to be a saint.

I prefer if PSR estranged SA earlier. He was already cold to SA by the end of ep 6 (he thinks SA reported him, she ask him not to like her, his TV show got sabotaged after he told SA about it). Even though there were some misunderstandings, I was glad to observe PSR having the ability to keep distance with SA.

But then YS told him the truth (I applaud her for that for her character growth)... here comes the back and forth again for PSR x SA

And yes I enjoy when characters have duality in them which is not common in kdrama world. They add more layers to the story. 

• Like 7

@Anjalifairy @serenilmauve there is timing for everything and throughout the 17 years there must be some point when she can be swayed by PSR. This "What If" would forever be a question mark.

Except Gwangjin will add more deeper plots about them for drama to clarify their true relationship in more detail. But i hope he won't. I'm afraid it will make the storyline a bit draggy and people might be tired of their push and pull. 

GIF-200219-203237.gif

@Samuel Yohanes If KDM is getting more badass with her psycho attitude, i think she'll top the buzzworthy 

@choilicious Wow thanks for such detail explanation. Very insightful! 

Then, how do Korean society in general respond about the drama? Do they enjoy it as it is or are there any pros and cons which circulates among the people? 

• Like 7

@choilicious Hi! I'm sorry for being curious, are you from Korea or lived there?;) 

We also before drama started wrote, that it's basically story about big misfits. Not only in SK, but in a lot of countries people like workers of DanBam would've been viewed in negative light. 

@Whisper2 I wouldn't call a guy, who is longing for company, love and happiness as "saint" one. I would actually say him not holding a grudge over Oh Soo Ah is his coping mechanism. If he ever decided to resent her, he would be alone in this world with his knowledge about what happened to his dad and his life. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

@Whisper2

sorry chingu, but I am confused with your last posts .you keep bringing up chapters from the webtoon and I am not sure if it has its place in this thread.

Are we discussing now what happened in the web toon or what we (the drama viewers)see in our screen?

If the screenwriter decides to follow this development in the tv drama too and we see this happen then we can talk about it.

But now its too early I think .

Let us all see what will happen prior the chapters you read so we can all have a full picture of the events and not only a part of it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, choilicious said:

@serenilmauve, I was born in Korea and emigrated to US when I was young. I go back every year. 

It is true that most of these characters are outcasts in most societies, but JYS is SHOCKINGLY anti-Korean society for eschewing top university. I don't think that would be the case in US.

Thank you;) And sorry again for asking about personal stuff;)

So the story of chaebols is not just usual "cliche" as international fans claim, but to show the contrast between norms and anti-norms, right? I guess, it has somehow the same appeal as SKY Castle?

I guess, yes, in Western countries to get into a top university is not the biggest priority of life. But she also appears as too "rude and bratty" for a lot of cultures;) 

As for OSA, as I said before, I totally understand her, I just can't bring myself to sympathize with her, which doesn't mean I hate her or anything. I actually appreciate her as part of the story. And I believe a lot of resentments go her way because she is not only working in Jangga, but also messing around with PSR and his business in one way or another. Plus, it's hard to sympathize with characters, that you personally would've been actively avoiding being friends with in real life or never do things, as they did. 

Btw, thank you for joining this thread. It's always so interesting to get the inside view on the drama because we all still judge characters based on our own culture. Like you can even read from some comments on twitter/tumblr/reddit/dramabeans, how they try to view the situation with transgender from their own perspective, rather what's norm/abnormal for SK.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, choilicious said:

Soo-ah is the anti-PSRY. She actually has the most likely background, as an orphan, to rebel against the society. Orphans are not treated very well in Korean society as family means a great deal, even when it comes to getting a job. Which is why you should give this character a little slack on why she holds on to Jangga. Jangga accepts her for who she is (even as a wife material), and you really should not underestimate how important that is to an orphan like SA in Korea. Which is why she follows the society norms and does the bidding of the company, even if it means it may hurt someone as close as her family. 

Itaewon Class is a very refreshing story. It is really great to see that it is getting very solid ratings because it kind of reflects some of the resentment that Koreans, especially young, feels today against the establishment.

thank you a lot for sharing all that inside view^_^so i wonder, koreans view what oh sooah is doing and did in the past in positive or negative light overall?do they think she was right for taking care of herself by “getting along” with jangga or wrong for not refusing and building her life other ways?

• Like 7