[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Awww... that was sooo good... a great start. I laughed so much even when I probably shouldn't have. A whole family of priests and nuns traipsing through the hospital ward... oh dear... from a chaebol household no less. A deeply religious chaebol Catholic family with no interest at all in the family business. No family in-fighting. No political wheeling and dealing. And the pediatrician who is an emotional basket case turns out to be the reluctant heir. Talk about turning a well-worn trope on its head. :lol: That was delightful. It was almost the antithesis of something like Chocolate. ;) 

Then of course, JJS walks in with a Darth Vader helmet with his kid. Of course we weren't privvy to that initially but the thought that some poor sap was glued to a DV helmet managed to elicit a chuckle or two out of me. But when they got him to do the liver transplant in that helmet with scrubs... it was laugh out loud territory.

Our cast is fantastic. They do interact like they've been buddies forever. There's a sweet little scene at the funeral that encapsulates for me their amazing friendship. It's when Dr Chae gets up from the floor to give the liver patient's mother the good new but there's JJS' kid to think of. She signals the two guys at the table. The two guys get up. They take their jackets off. One rolls it up, places it under the boy's head and the other places his over the boy like a blanket. It feels like they've done it before on numerous other occasions.

And the band... I could have died when the OBGYN guy talked about forming a band not to mention the haggling and the squabbling that ensued. :D I love how offended or disturbed Ik-Ju looks when Dr Chae sings off-key. I feel his pain. But with a title like Hospital Playlist, it's not beyond the pale. Still I was half joking when I said I wanted to see JJS and JKH do a duet. Dear me. So far they're on guitars but fingers crossed for a duet. Well... why else would anyone hire a cast of musically talented actors? ;) 

Even though I'm well-aware that JKH is a great and versatile actor, I am constantly in awe of what he brings to the table in each project. His comedic timing is well-known but it's his ability to interact with other actors so organically that makes him really special.

What the show I think does best (apart from the stellar cast) is piece together disparate aspects of hospital doings and make them all feel as one coherent whole. It isn't just that these people are friends working in the same hospital, it's also the fact that they have a long history together. I feel somehow we are fortunate souls catching a glimpse of how this friendship plays out in public and in private.

That and it feels like a K comedic version of my favourite medical drama of all time, ER.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

“Mister Trot” Makes History With New Cable TV Ratings Record As “Hospital Playlist” Premieres To Strong Start

Mar 13, 2020
by E. Cha
a7c1f13b436148999d08b6db1825078c.jpeg?s=
Finally, tvN’s new medical drama “Hospital Playlist” premiered to an average nationwide rating of 6.325 percent for the night.

6.3? Super. It is such a good rating.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, anjelikaeyes13 said:

He didn’t go to work but he was seeking help that his head has light saber helmet; because his son put a super glue and he want it remove in that hospital. However, he’s a specialize doctor who happened to be at the same time there’s a need for surgery. He had a special permission by Song Hwa to do surgery because by law he was not supposedly doing a surgery in a hospital does he does not work except if he was invited.  But after Chairman’s death Joon Won offered him a position. 

Today, its the third time I watched the episode and practically dying of laughing. Also, I cannot believe Dr Joon Won actually said to his omma “TMI” hhahahahaha — too much information because the mom’s telling — I married for convenience; it was a loveless marriage but I am happy on my own way. Hhahahahahhaha

It took me a full minute to figure out where have I heard YYS said TMI before (i.e. in Life Bar show) and trying to get the meaning. Then bam and his mother smacking his head! Gosh, that was unexpectedly funny :D

What Jeong Won did with the position, power and money presented upon him was, being cheeky by getting his mom to let him do what he want, bargaining with the new Chairman and putting his plan into motion i.e one that doesn't involve him being the Chairman - & carry all the responsibilities & headaches that come with it - but one that will get him the fund he needs. Brilliant!

And I am loving the others as well. I am lost for words. I love to see backstory of JunWon & Ikjun. I felt that these two have lotsa mischief under their belts, nerdie looks notwithstanding!

57 minutes ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

now i feel like i'm standing at the crossroad..... should I watch it now or I should wait until the last episode of this season.....

Watch it! hahahaha... and we can discuss together here! *wink*

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 5

as expected, shin wonho has always been the type to insert some tiny plot twists in his dramas:

Spoiler

that first scene :lol: medical dramas like to start off big, like flexing the lead character’s skills as a doctor. especially when the patient was shivering inside the ambulance and his colleague was panicking. turns out it was just too cold and they needed the heater. LOL

jung-won being the director’s son and sole heir to the position + the man behind the daddy long legs program. i knew i was in for a surprise when they weren’t revealing who the son was. my initial guess was ik-joon because it took him so long to come out. 

when ik-joon’s mom sought help at the hospital, i thought they were really going to create a fuss. in typical medical dramas, there were always scenes like that where patients or their families would demand to be prioritized lol.

mr. ju surprised me as well. i expected him to be a scheming man who wanted to take over the foundation (again a common medical drama trope) but he was actually far from that. and it’s so meta how ik-joon’s mom mentioned that he looks like he has ulterior motives because that was exactly what i had in mind.

i’m not a big fan of medical dramas tbh because of recurring tropes like office politics, toxic colleagues, and troublesome patients/families. shin wonho & lee woojung let us see this environment from a different perspective.

• Like 4

I was excited waiting for this drama and this show did not dissapoint. I loved it. I just knew it will be a show that I will love.

Some parts were sad, others were hilarious.

The funny parts

When Jeong-Won`s brothers and sisters came one by one was really funny because they are either priest or a nun. How come? It is the first time I see the children of a rich family, not interested in material things.

When Jeong-Won was drunk every year and saying to his brother that he wants to quit being a doctor, his big brother gave him the same advice. And what Jeong Won has on Jun-Wan? I want to see the picture from Hawaii. Jun Wan accepted to be a part of the band on the spot after mentioning that incident.:)

Seok-Hyeong is such a momma boy. I like that he put the condition to make a band. It was really cool that they accepted Song-Hwa to be the solist in the end because they won`t do music for a living. So what if she can`t sing? :lol: OK, maybe should be more than one solist.

Ik-Jun has a young son but what happened with his wife? When he entered the operation room with Darth Vader casquette was so funny. :D When I heard about that a patient put a glue on the helmet I thought: Who is this idiot? In a kind way because he definetly loves his son and wanted to play with him.

I like that we saw how the friends met when they were in medical school.

I expected that Kim Kap-Soo will be a baddie in this drama but I was pleasent surprised that his character is not that kind of person who do anything to get the higher position. I suspect that Ju Jong-Su loved Jeong-Won`s mother in the past. Even if not,  I am looking forward to watch Kim Kap Soo and Kim Hae Sook and their character`s relationship, on screen, in this drama.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

And what Jeong Won has on Jun-Wan? I want to see the picture from Hawaii. Jun Wan accepted to be a part of the band on the spot after mentioning that incident.

He say Hawaii  - maybe he got  more evidence on his Romance :joy:

15841221031584122091.gif

:tounge_wink:

• LOL 7

Ep 1 was the bomb, I'm almost fell off my chair knowing who Jung Won brother is & so is his occupation, lol.

A totally refreshing drama where the leads interaction shown at it best, heartwarming, and the casting! nailed it, couldn't get any better than this, as if the character was written to fit all of the actor's real personality, lol, but then again I know they're all great actors, my fav too, so I think anything for them would be fine too :D 

I'm totally in love with their pilot ep, even more than R88 & PP's pilot, and this coming from a person who usually disliked any medical dramas, hooked! <3

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

I’ve been on a break from Korean dramas for a few months now. Saw this on Netflix and saw that it has my favourite actors so decided to check it out. And boy am I pleasantly surprised. Loved the natural chemistry between the characters, the emotional beats and also the humor. Now I wished it was 2 episodes per week! 

Saw that they may make a season 2. Anyone with more information about this? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 7psyche7 said:

Not any times I want to watch a serial Korean drama. I hope there is a second season but I will be satisfied just with one great first/ only season. If I remember well, PD said that there will be another season but let finish filming this season first. With coronavirus issue, they stopped filming for a while.

Five friends. They clicked well from the biginning.

1Z06M631IK_1.jpg

Hospital Playlist OST part 1

BF.22032320.1.jpg

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/music/article/2020031381504

Kwon Jin Ah)-Lonely Night

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 7psyche7 said:

I think the initial plan was always to make it multi season.  I read somewhere 3 seasons of short 11-12 episodes?  Honestly I don’t mind if they don’t have cliffhangers at the end to make us watch.  There’s enough there to keep us watching even if they make each season self contained and tie off big plotlines.  Once you have the audience invested in the characters, you don’t necessarily need to have cliffhanger ends to keep us watching.  We will tune in the next season regardless.  I just don’t know how soon they can get all the filming done.  The large cast (and the fact that they film in a hospital) isn’t ideal given the current COVID19 crisis and lock down measures in countries.

5 hours ago, larus said:

When Jeong-Won was drunk every year and saying to his brother that he wants to quit being a doctor, his big brother gave him the same advice.

There was one instance where he said he loved his job whilst drunk...and it was still the same advice.  :lol:.  His brother takes the bird’s eye view of it (I guess as a priest he’s good at providing perspective).

I love how this writer/PD combo does dramas.  They are great at juxtaposing humour and despair, light and heavy so whilst the drama touches on very depressing subjects (death and despondency), it never sinks too deep into the mire because of the lighter, laugh out loud moments.  It doesn’t leave you morbidly melancholic but realistically hopeful that there is still light at the end of the tunnel.  

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I SO LOVE THE PREMIERE!!!!

YSH really really wanted to do a band alright lol! The first scene with CSH in a some kind of villa(?), he kept wanting something that was denied by LIJ and CSH herself. Then we met AJW & KJW on a car ride talking about what YSH wants and they also said no. Who knows it would be a band performance???. The ambulance scene was sooo awkward too! I bet he was happy to be granted his wish simply because AJW needed him on his project and the rest needed more money lololol.

AJW is a real softie stingy chaebol magnae haha. His family intro was funny af I didn't think the older siblings would be a holly people lol. The subtle expression he showed when his mom told him about VIP ward got me something and turn out he made use of it for his daddy's long legs program! When he confided his worry and crying to the priest who was actually his oldest bro (who also loved wine lol) then the answer was going to the fried chicken restaurant then his drunkard moments came wow some smooth flow there. Ohh but I was wondering what he would tell CSH before he got emergency call about bb MY hmmm...

CSH looked like a perfect person but turn out a tone-deaf lololol. But the scene of her about JY chairman before we knew it was actually AJW's father...was there something in there? The whole performance scene got me hard, the gang's expression of her singing got me lol-ing hard but she kept going strong lolololol. The last scene in this ep about her bf who was cheating was a bridge to the 2nd ep that would be focused on her, I can't wait!

We still had little on KJW other than he was cranky, he provided food for AJW who was actually crazy rich lol, and some kind of player who often switched gf. What was with his alcoholic gf?? We'll know him better next time.

LIJ's intro was funny af he was a Darth Vader who happened to be an appa??? When they first came I had no idea it would be him. He performed such hard case with the helmet on was too precious, work hard play hard indeed lololol. His son was soo cute we'll meet him often I bet.

• Like 6

Love the cast. Love all the experienced single story secondary actors. Amazing permanent cast. I stayed away from this so I didn't know anything.

The writer/ PD combo is amazing. I have watched each of their previous works several times. If anything... Can someone complain to Netflix? They need to get one of their more experienced subbers. The subs were kind of mundane. Didn't they get the script beforehand? Not to mention mistakes, missing stuff etc.

The reason why I love the Reply series and Prison Playbook has always been the absolutely perfect casting. Who always have impeccable timing when they deliver the lines.  Then their heart tugging OSTs and always, they always have good writing and lines. So subber, don't spoil it. Luckily my Korean has improved from the Reply 1997 days.

But yeah, the older brother priest had me in stitches. Father ( appa ) or Father ( sinbu-nim) the actor just cracks me up. I never remember his name from Reply drama to Reply drama. But to make him a Father here, even writing this is cracking me up. Is the writer playing us? And to have on of the guys in 1994 ( Samcheonpo ) in there as well just me laugh even more.

Catch you all later. I had forgotten a side effect from watching any of the writer/PD works..  I always end up on a nostalgia journey from their songs. I am going back to rewatch the band playing again. The guys long suffering looks and cringing and listening to her sing just makes me laugh. I didn't even recognize her saying " Lonely Night " until I heard the older version. If anyone comes across a blogger who will write down all the songs used for this series, do you mind tagging me please? Saves me hunting for all the songs.

• Like 6

I know this is wrong and maybe not main point of the drama but i ship Jung won and Song hwa from the start. They got that feeling when they are together.

Their friendship across 20 years is amazing and ofcourse the band that connect them together.

Considering his past work, i am not shocked if we got some love line in this drama. 

But ofcourse it wont be the main plot just like prison playbook.

I think by the episode 5 we can get more detail about background of our 5 doctors.

80 min+ per episode is such a treat. Idk why but it feels like even if it just 1 episode per week but the duration makes up for it and i am fine with it. 

A right drama to watch just before marathon of friday saturday sunday drama on netflix.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, 7psyche7 said:

PDNim plans this drama as series type. However, it be purely based on audience impact. 

For loves story — for the sake of my heart I will just enjoy my fangirling to all my faves YYS, JJS and JKH — which is a heavenly gift to be in one drama. Been following them for a long time. — I wouldn’t dare to guess who will Song Hwa end up amongst these beautiful men. I had the hardest recovering from Chilbongie (1994) and Jung Hwan (R1988) — so I won’t dare again. 

and I thank everyone here and soompi forum for having such forums where I could pick up a lot of things to learn —- focusing on the drama — not just simple fangirling of he’s so handsome etc. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1