[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

I read the analysis about Dr. Jang and Jeung-won, and other analysis about Jeung-won’s behavior.

Dr. Jang. She isn’t like the other doctors in this show and other medical drama. In Hospital Playlist, we have Song-hwa (compassionate, sharp), Jun-wan (calculated, caring), Seok-hyeong (efficient, sensitive), Jeung-won (passionate, quick-witted), and Ik-jun (good rapport, talented). There is also Dr. Bae (pleasant, reliable), Dr. Ahn (disciplined, determined). I happen to like some of the OB staff as well. Compared to all the other characters, at first glance, Dr. Jang doesn’t stand out—apart from her lack of apathy. I think a lot are turned off by her attitude because she is placed in a show where other doctors are good at communication. I am not defending her for being mean to the mom in episode 2. This is the writer’s way of letting us be more aware of doctors like her.

She didn’t spot the abuse case because it might have been the first time she has encountered that in the ER setting. I learned from my cousin that it’s the reason why she’s in residency. The amount of improvement she undergoes is (though not completely) dependent on the types of cases she gets. Considering she has no senior to guide her either, her learning is highly dependent on the attending she is assisting. Dr. Jang has lots to work on, but I think she is learning a lot from Jeung-won. 

Also, I don’t think she ran after the guy to show off to Jeung-won. In her defense, she might have ran after the man because he might have gotten away immediately. If no one from the ER ran after him, he could have easily blended in and gone out of the hospital to escape. It was rash and reckless move from Dr. Jang, and it is true that more people could have been hurt. But, I think coming from her perspective, as someone who should be helping Jeung-won (her attending) who is treating a child abuse victim, chasing after the guy would be the next right thing for her to do.

From how I see it, her disappointment when Jeung-won didn’t acknowledge her efforts comes from confusion. If Song-hwa, who didn’t even know the context, acknowledged her presence and asked if she was okay, what could have annoyed Jeung-won, her attending? She did her best to help the patient (though not medically) and the situation was resolved, what could it be that she might have done wrong? And why isn’t he scolding her for it? He has scolded her before so if she did something wrong this time, why isn’t she called out? For the context of her crush, it might have been nice if he asked if she was physically fine. 

Anyway, I like her character. It’s fresh, and I am really looking forward to how she develops her skills as a physician. It’s kind of like watching a less competitive Cristina Yang (first few seasons, although she seems more like a female Jun-wan). In terms of competency as a doctor. I think she is a lot more reliable than the one who fell asleep during Jun-wan’s surgery haha

Jeung-won. I think he acts cold towards her because she makes him uncomfortable. In their first encounter, he scolded her for her behavior and since then, he didn’t view her in a good light—to the point that he talked about it with Ik-jun. Then suddenly, she does these things that go against his initial perspective on her. First, she removed the maggots from the guy without showing any signs of disgust (kind of like Mother Teresa), which also shows that to some degree, she cares for her patients as well. And then, here she goes, running after the guy who hurt Jeung-won’s patient—barefoot at that and (although it may seem irrational), without really regards of whether the abusive man might hurt her. We, the viewers, might see this act as stupidity, but looking at how Jeung-won looked (at least to me) concerned and worried when Dr. Bae mentioned that, I think he might have thought it was both stupid and selfless to go that far for a patient.

As someone who is religious and treats everyone (except the 99ers) fairly and with respect, Jeung-won might feel guilty or uncomfortable at how he treated her beforehand—his behavior and perception of her. From how I understood the clips, this discomfort (maybe even guilt) keeps him from interacting with her the way he does with others. She isn’t who he expected her to be.

sorry for the long post!! Wahhh it may or may not be correct. Let’s just enjoy all the twists and turns of this rollercoaster series (and hope we get more than two season. i love them so much)

• Like 14
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 4

Every episode leaves me craving for more Lee Ik Jun. JJS is such a best fit to Lee Ik Jun.:kiss_wink:

PZ6uAFm.gif

He looked stunning here. His smile ,his voice, his pose when he asked "so how did she reject you "everything is just perfect.:heart:Black & dark colours suit him the best. He is looking way more younger & handsome seriously.:heart::love::kiss_wink:.

I just got the knowledge & mastered the skill of posting GIFs & pics after immense Googling & God knows how many fail attempts in my precious sleep time of 2 nights consecutively just for this Charmer JJS.......Ah life of a fangirl:P:sweatingbullets::lol:.

I vote for the couple Lee Ik Jun - song wha. As I did not watch any of the reply series so I am not stung by the pd nim so I can bravely say that in my opinion Lee Ik Jun & song hwa is the end game, no matter how, no matter when, no matter how long will it take but Ik Jun & song hwa is going to be a couple:kiss_wink:.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midflight said:

I read the analysis about Dr. Jang and Jeung-won, and other analysis about Jeung-won’s behavior.

Dr. Jang. She isn’t like the other doctors in this show and other medical drama...............

Jeung-won. ...............

I LOVE your analyses on these two. It's like you took my thought and put it in way better words than I could have :lol:

I really dislike Dr. Jang being nicknamed as Dr. Maggot though... that's not funny at all :angry:

Whether her crush is gonna turn successful or not, I still enjoy their scenes and interactions together. I ain't even mad if it would turn into a mentor-mentee relationship either!

Also, the scene in Ep 3 where Ik-Jun ask Jeong-Won about what he really thinks about Dr. Jang, we still didn't know what JeongWon answered yet :rolleyes:

Oh, and I'm also on Ik-Jun - Song-Hwa Ship ya'll ... those mesmerizing eyes of Song Hwa during med school years don't lie hehehh B)

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, JJS's Fan-atics said:

He looked stunning here. His smile ,his voice, his pose when he asked "so how did she reject you "everything is just perfect.:heart:Black & dark colours suit him the best. He is looking way more younger & handsome seriously.:heart::love::kiss_wink:.

Kyaaa!! :lol:  I know, right!! I wanted to mention this since episode 2, but I don't know how to describe it or capture the gif. He looked stunning there, and that was the first time I realized he was Song Hwa possible past crush because I would easily fall for him too. I rewatched whole episodes of Jealousy Incarnate yesterday and finished Oh My Ghost today because I need my Jo Jung Suk vitamin. Jo Jung Suk is a great actor, a great kisser, and he is the best when acting jealous or falling in love. That's why if Ik Jun approaching Song Hwa, I don't think I can resist him. And if Ik Jun had a crush to Song Hwa in the past, I believe I would have my number one ultimate ship. That's still possible since we have two other seasons going on. Sorry Jun Wan :D 

I don't know where did I mention this, maybe Dramabeans. But I watched this show initially because of my bias Jo Jung Suk :D Luv, luv, luv. 

:heart: :heart: :heart:

2 hours ago, JJS's Fan-atics said:

I vote for the couple Lee Ik Jun - song wha. As I did not watch any of the reply series so I am not stung by the pd nim so I can bravely say that in my opinion Lee Ik Jun & song hwa is the end game, no matter how, no matter when, no matter how long will it take but Ik Jun & song hwa is going to be a couple:kiss_wink:.

I pretty much can ship Song Hwa with anyone. But I never dare to dream or blatantly said I want to ship her with Ik Jun. As much as I love Jo Jung Suk (as my most favorite actor in this drama), Ik Jun's personality doesn't show any romantic affection towards Song Hwa, at least for now. But we never know because, again, we still have two other (possible) seasons going on.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I think this drama uses Dr. Jang to counterpoint the fab five.  Against their brilliant models of a physician is this mousy surgeon who apparently is doing more things wrong than right.  Someone who is ordinary, awkward, more common IRL than the likes of Song-Hwa or JWan.  She's a balancing act of all different personalities.  If we are talking about Hospital Playlist being where the extraordinary happens to the most ordinary people, Dr Jang is surely one.

I think we're on the same page as far as Dr Maggot is concerned. ;) More or less.

I would put it this way: It's the ordinariness that makes her extraordinary to me. She stands out ironically because of her quirks and flaws. She may or may not be a square peg in a round hole. And if so, will she ever become a round peg in a round hole? In a way I hope not. Not entirely at least.

But this is what also makes her relatable and memorable. I had some vague memory of Dr Bae as being competent, and praised as such but I certainly didn't remember her name until Ep 5. However the doctor who pulled the maggots off the patient's leg without a second thought was the one who really stayed in my mind. She didn't hold her nose or pout as one might expect in such a situation. Instead she dived right into it as if it was the most normal thing in the world to do. Moreover the maggots fascinated her in the same way as a boy who collects insects in glass jars in his bedroom. There was a child-like curiosity and it was a learning opportunity to see these bugs up close and personal. There was no yuck factor with her. By that act she reframed that entire scenario from being a "yuck" scenario to a "this is so weirdly interesting" one. In an instant she changed the way I saw her and that scenario. From this moment on, this scene defined her for me. 

Why do I call Jang Gyeon U Dr Maggot? Because she projects a kind of "mad absent-minded professor" aura. Her glasses, unkempt hair and general social awkwardness as well as her blandness in speaking. And I mean it entirely as a compliment. People like her are usually in the periphery in an organization but here she's liked by her colleagues and valued by her superiors. I expect it's because she does things no one else can/will do... easily. 

I'm also genuinely intrigued by her because she doesn't fit the norm in this hospital setting which gives her a lot more scope for growth and development. She doesn't think like others. She may not have common sense but she may have a kind of uncommon sense that even a highly regulated, procedural place like this hospital has a place for.

I'm also drawn to her dynamic with Jeong-won whatever that leads to because it's so quirky and in the normal course of life, probably unlikely to occur. I don't know why Ik-jun is purposefully encouraging her on that front. It could purely be expediency on his part. But I don't think so. The game of "Opposites" that they were playing suggested to him and me that she is able to look at things from a different perspective. I also like the fact that even though JW chewed her off for not being verbally tactful she did not hold it against him because it was a learning experience. She has a rare kind of objectivity even if she lacks in other areas. Speaking too from an educator's point of view, she has another quality that I like and that is teachability. In any learning context, the student that is willing to learn is the one that stands out to me. Those are the ones that tend to go the farthest. Not necessarily the high fliers. I suspect that's what her supervisors see in her as well.

I have a couple of theories as to why the show might be pushing this particular loveline. ;)

On some level JW appears to be the most unlikely person to be dating anyone because of his own perceived calling into the priesthood. Despite rubbing shoulders with all kinds of women throughout his adult life, he's never shown any interest in anyone... as far as we've been told. He is adamant to walk this path even despite misgivings from his own family and friends. But Gyeon U is different from other women. She gets under his skin in a way no one else does. Negatively perhaps to begin with... but the key thing is that he notices her in a way that he doesn't with other female staff.

I wonder too if the showrunners aren't trying to do a new nutty twist on the Cinderella trope. Especially now that she's taken off her shoes and done the barefoot run. By rights JW was/is the heir to Yulje medical enterprise. He doesn't really want the top job because his goal has always been the priesthood. He is the only one left amongst his siblings that hasn't adopted a life of religious celibacy. With the writer-director's twisted sense of humour, they've chosen the most unlikely candidate to prevent that from happening and compel him to take his place as the next CEO of Yulje. (For some reason I am reminded of Ever After's reluctant Prince Henry)

Of course this is all speculative on my part. It may never happen. Although there's a part of me that really wants it to. Just because... it would be downright... hilarious.

• Like 4
  • Love 7

7 hours ago, yookitube said:

The barefoot chase was dangerous, stupid and childish ....more reflective of lack of better  judgement.

I think oppa should have care more , play Prince Charming rule, she already done magnificent run for it . 

# hey friend  , do it for  shipping  :D

15865649481586564945.gif

15865656511586565646.gif

competition :D

15865659351586565931.gif

• LOL 8

Am i the only one that ships Jeong Won and Song Hwa? I was drawn to them since the first episode but not much interactions were being shown. Jeong Won kinda feels like Taek for me who some of us actually didn't expect to be a possible love interest for the female lead. No offense meant but i don't really like Gyeo Ul for Jeong Won✌.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, yookitube said:

The barefoot chase was dangerous, stupid and childish ....more reflective of lack of better  judgement. It could have resulted in more injuries to herself, and others... in a very crowded corridor. It endangered other patients..., a medical no-no.

It was Dr Jang's subtle attempt at getting noticed/attention ...

All chase are dangerous and risky. Police can never catch criminals if they have to consider so much. She has to go barefoot because there is no way to run in those shoes. She is willing to risk herself getting hurt so the little children do not get hurt anymore.

There is no proof that she was chasing because she wanted to get Jwon’s attention. I will bet if he was not around, she will do the same thing (eg.maggot harvesting). If she is out to get his attention, she will probably start to doll herself up and always be hanging around him. 

But anyway, I won’t eat my shorts even if they don’t end up getting paired. 

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I also like the fact that even though JW chewed her off for not being verbally tactful she did not hold it against him because it was a learning experience. S

I actually think that was probably when she started her crush on him? That because he bothered to correct her. I can’t find any earlier interaction between them and I think that scene was their first interaction in the drama.

(mods, pls help join my posts. I cannot edit the previous post from my phone with quote. Thank you)

Edited by triplem
Merged consecutive posts as requested
  • Like 5
  • Love 5

47 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I actually think that was probably when she started her crush on him? That because he bothered to correct her. I can’t find any earlier interaction between them and I think that scene was their first interaction in the drama.

(mods, pls help join my posts. I cannot edit the previous post from my phone with quote. Thank you)

totally agree. Why people can say she needed to try JW's attention. She's brave, simple and work hard. That's the reason IkJun like her as a cute and hard-working collegue. She is so busy to date someone, never make up. You can see Dr Bea is prettier with make-up mask :) and even Phs Song Hwa with pinky lip but Dr Jang is so simple. 

I missed my acc on soompi so I have to sign in by google to say sth about her :))

Edited by HOMEMATIC
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

I'm curious of one thing; if you were in Gyeo ul's shoes what would you do? You have two of your superiors there and you see the abusive father making a run for it. What would you do? 

Just wanna hear others' ideas :D

If I was in that situation, I would have done the same thing adrenaline and all. It's quite brave of her actually, reckless and dangerous but brave. And I love that it wasn't "another powerful male" that helped her catch the father. It was another powerful female, Song Hwa. GIRL POWER!!!

And my girl ran bare feet at a hospital (germs!) cut her some slack JWon hahaha.

Oh and I love this forum it's so alive. I have so much time in my hands right now so all I do is watch Kdramas and read your posts. :wub:

Wait. Was I the only one who screamed out loud when Ik Jun visited Song Hwa' office? I was expecting something sweet but the sudden reality hit me; haha IkJun jokingly turned off the light instead. I just love these two! :wub:

• Like 5
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, midflight said:

From how I see it, her disappointment when Jeung-won didn’t acknowledge her efforts comes from confusion. If Song-hwa, who didn’t even know the context, acknowledged her presence and asked if she was okay, what could have annoyed Jeung-won, her attending? She did her best to help the patient (though not medically) and the situation was resolved, what could it be that she might have done wrong? And why isn’t he scolding her for it? He has scolded her before so if she did something wrong this time, why isn’t she called out? For the context of her crush, it might have been nice if he asked if she was physically fine. 

...but looking at how Jeung-won looked (at least to me) concerned and worried when Dr. Bae mentioned that, I think he might have thought it was both stupid and selfless to go that far for a patient.

Hello~~~ IMO, Jeong-won was caught in a dilemma.  As the son of an ex-CEO and one who most likely attended more "Risk Management" meetings than he cares to, Jeong-won understands not only the risk Dr. Jang took on a personal level, there's a string of liabilities that her actions can trigger.  Aside from the danger she puts herself into, the hospital could face many problems if the man injured himself (plus other patients/visitors/staff) during the chase.  There could be lawsuits hurting the hospital financially which in turn hurt the patient's access to medical care.  Things that often are overlooked by residents in training. Yet he has to admit deep down that despite being too emotional, she does truly care for her patient to put herself out that far.  The problem is as an attending, he cannot promote this type of behaviors in his residents as they are expected to display professional behaviors.  Thus, he can't praise her nor can he scold her in front of others as he does realize that she has good intention despite her somewhat unorthodox execution.  Her selflessness is something Jeong-won appreciated and noticed as he himself emptied his paycheck/bank account for charity a few scenes earlier.  What he should have done is have a private one on one with her.  I am curious why he doesn't - think because she is not really his resident (she's general surgery) so he would be overstepping his boundaries.

@40somethingahjumma I am fond of how the show is writing Dr. Jang. Have to reply to your answer another time when I can :lol:

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Wisteria said:

Am i the only one that ships Jeong Won and Song Hwa? I was drawn to them since the first episode but not much interactions were being shown. Jeong Won kinda feels like Taek for me who some of us actually didn't expect to be a possible love interest for the female lead. No offense meant but i don't really like Gyeo Ul for Jeong Won✌.

Speaking for myself there are a couple of reasons why I don't "ship" Song-hwa with any of her male besties.

First of all they've all had 20 years to get their act together and except for Seok-hwan, none of them have shown any kind of romantic interest in her. Personally I don't see Jeong-won and Song-hwa's trajectory intersecting that way. Of all the 4 men, he seems to, for me, to be the most unlikely to have that kind of relationship with her. There's not even a hint of it. At least in the case of Jun-wan, I can see why the possibility exists.

Another reason is that this would change the dynamic of the friendship. It doesn't have to be for the worse but I'm selfishly enjoying the kind of interactions that they have now. An easy-going relaxed situation where they have their own fixed space outside the shifting sands of work, family and romance. If she had gotten together with one of the guys before and they've all maintained this dynamic that's entirely different. My thinking is that they've all "grown up" together... so to me they have more of a sibling vibe. They're family already.

I'm not offended that other people don't like the idea of Dr Jang and Jeong-won but I personally find the idea increasingly amusing. ;) I also like that she's an outlier and I tend to root for the underdog. :D Plus it flies in the face of expectation. :P

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I actually think that was probably when she started her crush on him? That because he bothered to correct her.

I agree. That's what it looked like to me as well. He probably came across as tsundere cool. ;)

By the way, I don't agree that Dr Maggot does things just to impress Jeong-won. That entire notion doesn't fit all that we know. In order for that to be true, she would have to be calculating and actively in pursuit of him. There's none of that with her. Look at the way she was eating in front of him with little self-consciousness. On the other hand that may be true of the OBGYN resident with the makeup issues but with Dr Maggot she does what she does because she beats to a different drum.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Wisteria said:

Nope you're not. I ship JeongWon x SongHwa too since the very beginning. We're prolly part of the minorities that do. There's something (or lack therof) about their connection/relationship that is still not being shown in the series. Like someone had said, no 1-1 scenes yet between them. Same with the subtle/little things/scenes that may or may not be hints that connects them. That's why i am always left wondering if there is really something going on between that we the audience are missing. The writers/Pds are prolly saving them for last..Oooh i love unexpected twists and surprises, yay! Or maybe im just a bit delulu, am i? :joy:

Well, I'll be fine to whoever SongHwa ends up with. Or with no one if she chose to stay single. I'm enjoying the fab five's friendship and dynamics as it is for now.. but i guess it is still too early to tell. I just want SongHwa to be healthy and happy. Obviously, she's my fave character in the series. :blush:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ep 5 Making posted by tvN

I cracked up when JJS described how they behaved during the recording of their singing. Apparently YYS did a ‘praying’ stance when he sang:joy: (edit: it was JKH, not YYS lol)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I'm not offended that other people don't like the idea of Dr Jang and Jeong-won but I personally find the idea increasingly amusing. ;) I also like that she's an outlier and I tend to root for the underdog. :D Plus it flies in the face of expectation. :P

if I can say I think they gonna make the perfect couple , the girl technically a Virgin Mary  :D 

He want to serve the Lord , he only need to see the light date the girl :D

* her friend : my dream is  to kiss someone in Christmas  

her

5e9137b1f3a7d664683511.gif?download

5e9137d239b92324107567.gif?download

5e9137eeec6cf146893750.gif?download

# team Dr Jang :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, im0202 said:

Ep 5 Making posted by tvN

Thank you for sharing this one!

At least we get to see Yoo Yeon Seok asking Shin Hyun Bin (Dr Jang) to be careful when she ran barefoot in the BTS to make up for how Jungwon reacted to her in the drama haha

a-Copy.png

b-Copy.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1