[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Ratings

In this table, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.

Ep. Original broadcast date Average audience share
AGB Nielsen  
Nationwide Seoul  
1 March 12, 2020 6.325% 7.113%  
2 March 19, 2020 7.750% 8.507%  
3 March 26, 2020 8.556% 9.313%  
4 April 2, 2020 9.754% 10.932%  
5 April 9, 2020 11.321% 12.655%  
6 April 16, 2020  

https://www.nielsenkorea.co.kr/tv_terrestrial_day.asp?menu=Tit_1&sub_menu=3_1&area=00&begin_date=20200409

—--

https://www.soompi.com/article/1393468wpp/hospital-playlist-hits-highest-viewership-yet-with-double-digit-ratings

“Hospital Playlist” Hits Highest Viewership Yet With Double Digit Ratings

Apr 9, 2020
by R. Jun

tvN’s “Hospital Playlist” has folded into double digit ratings with its latest episode, recording its highest viewership yet!

According to Nielsen Korea, the April 9 broadcast of “Hospital Playlist” recorded an average viewership of 11.3 percent with a peak at 12.8 percent, for a 1.5 point increase from its previous high point. The drama, which premiered to 6.3 percent viewership, has seen steadily increasing ratings week after week and shows no signs of slowing down.

tvN’s “Memorist” saw a 0.6 increase in ratings on Thursday, recording 2.9 percent.

MBC’s “Find Me in Your Memory” recorded 3.3 and 3.9 percent viewership, a decrease from Wednesday’s ratings, while KBS2’s “Meow the Secret Boy” recorded 1.5 and 1.6 percent, also a dip from the previous episodes.

Source (1) (2) (3)

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

Jeong won specifically ignoring Dr. Jang itself should mean something, right? I think he is hiding something. I can't quite read his expression. Either he is sooooo mad at her or he is just slowly falling for her and is in denial stage right now. It's hard to tell. I wouldn't have suspected anything if he said something to her after that chase scene. Ignoring her feels like he is giving more importance to her.....we have to wait and see....what do you think @nrllee??

Here’s my take.  He is NOT impressed with Dr Maggot and he probably wants to shake her off his tail. Andrea is someone who pays attention to details.  He is impressed by people who take care in the little things and is observant about little things.  Evidenced by how he is impressed by Dr Bae (during Ep1 with the boy in ER and how she related to his mom Vs the insensitive way Dr Maggot spoke to her).  That’s why when he confronted IJ about his suspected fling with her he exclaimed, “NOT GyeoUl??”  I know some have read that to mean that perhaps he liked her which is why he told IJ to back off.  But I read that to mean he was aghast that IJ would have such poor taste (meaning he didn’t like her).  When everyone was talking about SH’s dad and bringing up all his BIG mistakes, Andrea chose to pick on a rather small incident (when he was sent on an errand by SH’s dad and his dad still hasn’t paid him for it).  His point is not that the 1000Won mattered to him.  But it was a character issue.  And Andrea picked it from the start.  What you’re like in the little things in life says a lot about what sort of a person you are.  That’s why he approves of Dr Bae (I don’t think he “likes” her - his head is not in that space right now, he’s going for priesthood so he will want to stay celibate).  Dr Bae notices little things and preempts stuff (getting an XRay done on the child, calling security and the police).  He’s not into big showy gestures which is how Dr Jang is presenting before him now.  Removing the maggots (big showy gesture).  Chasing down the abusive father (another grand gesture).  Notice how she was expecting praise from him?  He dislikes that.  You don’t do something in hope to gain brownie points (Dr Jang).  You do something because you have a moral compass that shoots true (Dr Bae).  Did you see how PD placed SongHwa into the picture?  What was Andrea snacking on in that conference with SH about the baby?  A Pepero stick.  What was SongHwa fake drumming with in her car when she was heading to camping?  A Pepero stick.  Who got the upper hand with the abusive man (who later threatened Andrea?) - you guessed it, SongHwa, not Dr Jang.  Dr Jang was chasing (just like she is now with Andrea).  SongHwa was standing still, waiting for the man to come to her (she’s waiting for Andrea, not chasing him). I think PD/writer puts these things in like a candy trail.  Especially the Pepero stick.  There was absolutely zero need to put it there.  It adds nothing to the scenes.  But it’s there for a purpose.  To link the 2 (SHwa and Andrea) together. :lol: If Dr Jang wants to weasel her way into Andrea’s heart, she has to undergo a massive internal change in character.  Thus far I don’t see it.  She’s missing the little things that would impress Andrea, she needs to be more like Dr Bae.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

32 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Here’s my take.  He is NOT impressed with Dr Maggot and he probably wants to shake her off his tail. Andrea is someone who pays attention to details.  He is impressed by people who take care in the little things and is observant about little things.  Evidenced by how he is impressed by Dr Bae (during Ep1 with the boy in ER and how she related to his mom Vs the insensitive way Dr Maggot spoke to her).  That’s why when he confronted IJ about his suspected fling with her he exclaimed, “NOT GyeoUl??”  I know some have read that to mean that perhaps he liked her which is why he told IJ to back off.  But I read that to mean he was aghast that IJ would have such poor taste (meaning he didn’t like her).  When everyone was talking about SH’s dad and bringing up all his BIG mistakes, Andrea chose to pick on a rather small incident (when he was sent on an errand by SH’s dad and his dad still hasn’t paid him for it).  His point is not that the 1000Won mattered to him.  But it was a character issue.  And Andrea picked it from the start.  What you’re like in the little things in life says a lot about what sort of a person you are.  That’s why he approves of Dr Bae (I don’t think he “likes” her - his head is not in that space right now, he’s going for priesthood so he will want to stay celibate).  Dr Bae notices little things and preempts stuff (getting an XRay done on the child, calling security and the police).  He’s not into big showy gestures which is how Dr Jang is presenting before him now.  Removing the maggots (big showy gesture).  Chasing down the abusive father (another grand gesture).  Notice how she was expecting praise from him?  He dislikes that.  You don’t do something in hope to gain brownie points (Dr Jang).  You do something because you have a moral compass that shoots true (Dr Bae).  Did you see how PD placed SongHwa into the picture?  What was Andrea snacking on in that conference with SH about the baby?  A Pepero stick.  What was SongHwa fake drumming with in her car when she was heading to camping?  A Pepero stick.  Who got the upper hand with the abusive man (who later threatened Andrea?) - you guessed it, SongHwa, not Dr Jang.  Dr Jang was chasing (just like she is now with Andrea).  SongHwa was standing still, waiting for the man to come to her (she’s waiting for Andrea, not chasing him). I think PD/writer puts these things in like a candy trail.  Especially the Pepero stick.  There was absolutely zero need to put it there.  It adds nothing to the scenes.  But it’s there for a purpose.  To link the 2 (SHwa and Andrea) together. :lol: If Dr Jang wants to weasel her way into Andrea’s heart, she has to undergo a massive internal change in character.  Thus far I don’t see it.  She’s missing the little things that would impress Andrea, she needs to be more like Dr Bae.

But why didnt he ask Dr Bae to scrub in to his surgery for the twin if approves of her ? How do you know he dislikes that?  It is commonplace for you to want to be praised for your efforts by your supervisor. If the doctor in charge was different, I am pretty sure she will have the same reaction. 

He confronted IJ not because of who he supposedly had an affair with but the act itself. They are friends and for someone who sings praises about his wife , it is quite surprising that such a person will have an affair. 

Big showy gestures that are her responsibilities, Dr Bae on the other hand is the first point of contact for any emergency as she is an ER resident so it is a given she does all that because she is responsible for that patient. 

She doesn't need to change her attitude for acceptance from him, if the writer does that I will be very annoyed. If he likes her, he should be because of who she is (flaws and all). 

All these assumptions and we are yet to hear from him what he thinks about her. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

For now, I will just assume Jeong Won likes Dr. Jang and he is in the denial stage. Maybe right, maybe wrong. But I just love their scenes together. I won't over-analyze things because I have been burnt by this writer before lol.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

Hi everyone...newbie in this thread.. hope Im welcome here ..Thank you.:)

Super loving this series already...love the doctors.love their characteritics individually...:heart:

I wonder who will be the first to discover that Song Hwa is sick..looking forwaed to ep 6 tonight..

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dairymilks said:

I think something will happen between Jungwon’s mom and Jongsu :wub:

This team is a sucker for childhood best friends to lovers trope so much lolol

I am onboard this ship anytime @dairymilks . :wub: The way Chmn Ju backs up JWon is so endearing. So like father and son. By the way Kim Gap Su played YYS's father in drama Soul :D .

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Day said:

But why didnt he ask Dr Bae to scrub in to his surgery

Because she’s not a surgical resident.  Jang is a GS resident so she’s the one to scrub in.  ER residents don’t scrub in.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

Hi everyone - I’m new to this thread...

I believe JW’s reaction to IJ and GY stemmed from his moral outrage at a married man seemingly having an affair. JW wouldn’t egg him on if IJ was chasing after a resident he got along with better.

In ep 2 when Dr Bong got a call about the maggot guy, JW followed him to the emergency room to check out the situation after hearing GW’s name. JW didn’t need to be there when GW removed the maggots while Dr Bae was visibly squeamish in front of the patient. I interpreted that he was quietly impressed and perhaps saw her in a new light.

I think Dr Jang is an interesting character. Even Dr Bae acknowledged it took guts to chase after that abusive dad and it is definitely not her job as a surgeon to do that. I think it’s only human that GW was disappointed that JW didn’t acknowledge her, it doesn’t necessarily mean she lacks a moral compass. 

I agree with Day, GW shouldn’t change too much. She represents a good contrast to JW. He is overly invested/emotional at times which is noble but leaves him at risk of burning out and threatening to quit every year. She seems to show resilience and is responsive to criticism. I’ve met doctors like Dr Jang who are clinical, scientific and hard working. I’m sure she can improve her patient manner and technical skills but she’s still training.

Anyway, I’m shipping the two characters but I was disappointed with episode 5. Hope episode 6 is better!!

• Like 18

Deabak —  but I totally hurt my head bumping a hard cabinet beside me because I kept on laughing and then crying one moment in this episode.  Overall my thoughts came up with this —  “Get busy living or get busy dying.” and “Most of us spend too much time on what is urgent and not enough time on what is important.”

1. Continuation of abusive father — JWon is correct about the father and his not afraid to confront but I worry for the revenge. 

2.  Notes 1: In here there’s two people admiring Dr Garden — Dr Bae (unknowingly) and Dr Jang and the latter she’s loosing her face so much while Dr. Bae remains classy. Why did she run catching the bad father without asking help to the people in front of them? I think Dr Garden knew she will do this and he’s not liking it.  He likes Dr Bae’s style and she receives the best appreciation. 

2. Eating over food and then band practice (they are really getting better in every song - they are really living up to the playlist thingy) discussion despite being busy; have a life either with family or friends. Work is not be all and end all.  

3. While rich people does not care about liver transplant from their children here we are we saw how a father felt bad that he is taking away his daughters’s liver to survived.  

4. I hate those Seok Hyung colleagues taking away SH away from friends and family. I love the idea but bad timing and bad way. Grr. I will never like that Girl with green colored thingy. Haha overnight of SHwa in SHy room and Jwan and Jwon supporting mom’s request. Haha. Ik Jun so supportive and caring to his patients and team mates. I love that his team mates does not take it wrongly if he butts in. For them its learning time. Two thumbs up. It’s nice to eat pride chicken. I love Jae Hak’s relationship to JWan. He’s still supportive of his slow learner resident. Hahahah. Song Hwa’s group conference oh my Dr An, I like his smooth style but the silence killed his heart. I love his sincerity. Mi Do really did one hell job of actress being that strong and reliable person but she needs someone right now and it broke my heart. Our Dr. Garden seems too observant to miss anything wrong with her.   Trio-JaeHak-Sunbin-Seokmin friendship and they cannot believe they let go of lunch time by Song Hwa with Chi Yong. hahahaa

5. Weekend family time with Rosa and Jeong Won With Jung Su and Ju Seon with new member Young Hye (SHyung mom) — my new squad goals when I get older.  They really destroyed the stereo type wealthy people story.  I cannot believe Mafia game was even played in HP that had gone wrong as they took it too seriously! Just inserting my idol faves — EXO played this well in their Vlive and ROFL watching them because they totally enjoyed but deabak these elders played well too and my heart was so really touch! Hahaha

- Studying to be priest in Italy

- Study to be a groom.

- Your brothers and sisters can but not you; I’ll be lonely

- I am dress casually 

- okay ice it is

- Why are we doing this? so that woman from head to toe looking like Audrey Hepburn is Yang Tae Yang’s wife? —haha I’m dying of laughing how this hospital executives being this gossip people and can be this cute. They even got jealous of tickets. 

- I like someone : Man above

6. Back to the hospital - pay check to pay check patient JungWon and JaeHak tandem. I love these two when it comes to discussing things. JWon really drawn to him.  Ah Ik Jun and Bin’s family moment so touching and dang Jo Jung Suk made me really crying on this moment. How can he easily teared like that. 

many more to laugh, cringe and cry. I’m totally 3x whipped of this drama. 

..... sleepy already. I can’t get over tonights ‘s episode again for a week. Haha. It’s good this is just one week. 

• Like 11

Hey everyone! I recently started Hospital Playlist and loved it so I ended up binge-watching all the available episodes.

I adore the fab five and I think this drama does such an amazing job of showcasing the close friendship they share. I also love that it interweaves their patients lives without it taking away from the focus. I have cried in every episode from the scene where Jeong Won loses his patient, to the scene where Cha Seo Hyeon is comforting the crying ahjumma in the elevator, to the scene where the little baby holds the intern's thumb, to today's episode with the lovey-dovey couple who has the baby and the dad sings in the delivery room.. all these scenes are brief but meaningful. 

As for the fab five - I love all the band scenes, I love the flashbacks, I love the scene where they eat Kalguksu and where they're just talking in one of their offices. The little things they do for each other without thinking just goes to show the closeness they share.

As for episode 5, I have to say that I really loved the Mafia scene. It's nice to see the older generation also have such a close friendship.

5 hours ago, pppewww said:

This episode, like all other episodes, is making me laugh out loud one moment and then cry the next. I think this is probably the only drama where I never used the fast forward button. 

I know some people think we spent too much time with the parents (the mafia game was hilarious) this episode. But I think it is an important scene, if only for the possibility of Seok-Hyung's mom being happy again. I laughed so hard during the mafia game antics and then the show twisted my heart with the phone call between Seok-Hyung and his mom where she said it's the first time in a while that she laughed this much. As much as I hate Seok-Hyung's dad and the mistress (the guts) and want them to be miserable forever, I want Seok Hyung and his mom to be happy. And they can't do that if they are still spiteful towards the dad. The mafia game and the parents gathering is probably to show us (and mom) that it is better to move on. This pd and writer never ever does anything that is unnecessary. I also wanted more scenes with the 5 friends, but I appreciate the show treating every character as a living being, and giving them full story arcs. One of the reasons I will forever be a fan of this creative team.

@pppewww couldn't agree with you more! I also relish every second of this drama. Like you, I also loved the Mafia scene. I also thought it was such an important scene.. it goes to show that there is more to these characters. The phone call between Seok-hyung's mom and Seok-hyung as she was leaving, when she says it's the first time she's laughed like that in a long time... that was so beautiful to me. I don't think it necessarily says that it is better to move on but rather, that the end of her marriage isn't the end of her happiness and that she will, one day, find reasons to laugh and be happy again. I love that scene too because of the fact that all of them (with the exception of the director - can't remember his name) have lost their spouses. So to have each other to lean on and move forward together is really something.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, habromanic said:

Got to say, my favorite scene would be the hang-out of Jeongwon with the elders. It was so adorable, funny and lovely. The mafia game really was the highlight. I somehow hope that we will see more of them from now on. On a side note, I kind of see Director Joo and Rosa as the depiction of Songhwa and the guys. You know how the chemistry is there but they never crossed the line.

i was laughing mad at the mafia game scene too!! all the ladies (Rosa and “Audrey Hepburn”) are asking about JW’s lovelife but the guys are all chill B) JW is really a good son.. when i first saw Director Joo in the earlier epi i was worried its going to be some hospital politics and backstabbing.. the actor was good with those bad guy roles in many kdramas haha.. phew! not the case.

• Like 8

well since this drama was bot focus which couple..i just like the flow.. 

regarding dr jang vs dr bae 

i think both were good doctor but when it come to er case patients the one in charge was dr bae supervised by dr Ahn with help dr jang..so by right of course the the one who know better about the patient is dr bae and she doing great..but dont put blame or dr jang, compare to dr bae who in charge, dr jang was gs surgery, so she in charge in surgery...that why when the early episode when dr bae was giving cpr toward the kids dr jang was the one get the note from the official guy..why, cause it a big hospital...every patient had few dr in charge  including intern...

and want dr jang to became like others it will make lose out her character...either dr ahn will approach her love or not..it doest matter cause i like dr jang as individual...actually i think dr jang and dr bae both have burden workload but dr jang has more..i also remind a dialog in romantic doctor where it state not many intern want to apply GS..(need to rewatch again) i guest cause the work load..ER doctor had pressure worklord cause the always in prepare mood..but for GS they need to understand the patient through the data given..(like when ik jun ask what dr jang reading, and she said she prepare for next surgery) 

I do want all friend had different partner..hahaha i dont  know maybe to their age..i think it make me appreciate the relationship and proved  man and woman can be friend as long the not cross the line

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Well,  I actually give up pairing or couple hunting from epi 3. It's easy to enjoy the show without frustration of uncertain future possibility. To me this friend group matter, their friendship matter,their one liner or insightful dialogue matter.....too much and somehow I want to protect them.I will find them for almost 3 season so i bought the tickets and catch the flight that this pd and writer offer. The cast always describe the show as slice of life,love,emotion, plot twist,happiness.Pd nim giving us just the way he promises. It's us who start the guessing and getting insightful analysis of every character. It’s a good thing actually , very healthy things to do as an audience who loves(or intereste)this show. 

Till now, every episode focused on character's build up with noticeable  traits to prepare us for another odyssey.

Songhwa's sudden illness is just a part to taste this friendship on new level. Divorce, father issues are perfectly personal but when the emotional pillar of the group get sick, it will give them hard time.   

I don’t know if ik sun accepted or rejected jun wan but this universal friend's sister lover will get hard time from ik jun too. Because he knew about jun wan "too much" from school to medical life. Insecurity will rise....                   

As for seok  hyung, i really loved how he feel for his ex wife trouble for his complicated family circumstances. This man is really gem. I wish he find someone special and grow old together watching comedy shows. That green eye shadow  doctors still now not my favourite but people change and their make up too, lol! 

And anything or anyone for Andrea please! Anyone who can give tough competition alongside God! Just to ask scrub into OT is not normal for a detail and soft talker Andrea!The writer is thinking something. 

As for Ik jun, till now no solid "better half " candidate. He is happy with uju and match making session.He needs time actually. May be  things will change after a big shake up in this friend group.

So whatever Pd and writer plan for us,  let's enjoy. By the way,I love everyone’s insightful(be it positive or negative from my perception)take on characters.                                                

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, nrllee said:

Interesting point about Dr. Jang chasing him and song hwa waiting for him. You are probably right about that. Or not.  Yes Jeong won does concentrate on little things more and gets worked up about it. He is still a child at heart. LOL. This is why he reminds me so much of Taek. But when the time comes they will show a different side of them. For now, I don't know what will make Jeong won to start pursuing Song hwa and abandon his dream of becoming a priest. They keep putting Dr. Jang and Jeong won together, so people can't help but ship them. As someone here noticed, we didn't even yet get a scene with Song hwa and Jeong won together by themselves. We don't know how their dynamic would be when they are together. Maybe the writer is saving it for the big reveal. These guessing games are all fun and good, but ultimately I can't ship a couple until I see some chemistry or electricity between them. LOL. I'm sure that if the writer does go with Jeong won and Song hwa as the endgame, I will be 100 percent on board with that pairing too. These are excellent actors afterall they can make me believe anything. 

I don't know whether I would take food items like pepero stick into consideration because the sheer amount of sandwiches these people eat, if we decide to link them based on food, it will become messy. Hahahahahahaha. 

@triplem @Lmangla What if we have a poll in this thread about who ends up with whom? There are just so many ships in this show right now, it would be fun to know which ship has the most support. Haha. With the hope that it won't cause fanwars. Lol

• Like 10
  • Awesome 1

I’m ok with Paediatric Surgery AJW ignoring Dr Jang’s efforts and rather acknowledging Dr. Bae’s efficiency and thoroughness. However, the look of disbelief when Dr Jang acted instinctively to catch the abuser father (same expression when he saw Dr. Jang from the background when she picked up those maggots - she was already doing it before Dr AJW arrived in ED)...and the look of concern when Dr Bae said about what if that person had a knife and she could be hurt - said it all. Going back to E4, I noticed Dr AJW’s surreptitious glances towards Dr Jang during the gastroschisis meeting and sneakily saving her those 2 packets of snacks at the end?  Dr Jang may not the sharpest tool in the box, not at par in comparison to Dr. Bae but the 13 GS professors appreciates the hard work she puts and likes her (otherwise they couldn’t be bothered sweet talking her to their surgeries if she is that slow). As long as our loveable and goofy Dr Ikjung likes her and wants her around in and out of the theatre (OR) I’m cool with that...who knows she might be his end game and not her crush PS Dr. AJW...

• Like 6
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Sorary said:

either dr ahn will approach her love or not..it doest matter cause i like dr jang as individual...

I second that. I don't agree if someone is putting Jeong Won at a 'higher level' than dr. Jang Gyeo Ul as if he's too good for everyone, and Dr. Jang doesn't deserve him. Yes, she made mistakes, but she learned. I also don't think we should see humans from such attribution, like whether the woman gets the man or not and using this term 'deserve or not deserve' because of outside attribution (wealth, face, position, etc.). As if a woman only can be more valuable if there is a man who is falling for her. And tbh, I love dr. Jang as an individual, too, if they don't focus on romance. Her character development and stories perhaps would be way more interesting.

• Like 11
  • Love 2