[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

I just want to share one of my favourite quotes from Hospital Playlist which is maybe quite useful with the current situation:

ezgif-4-56213798d49d.gif

ezgif-4-885a48f53dac.gif

ezgif-4-5404adb7bae0.gif

Maybe time is what we need. And maybe time is what some people need.

To see things that they denied to see.

To understand the story and the message that Production team want to deliver through Hospital Playlist.

To accept the reality.

To respect the fact that not everyone has to agree with you, and you don't have to agree with everyone.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8

14 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

SHIP SAILING  FLOWER GARDEN IS COMING !! JeongWon-SongHwa  are in love with each other season 2 

Flower Garden shipper’s thread has been set up. Search for it in Shippers Paradise. Please go and do your shipping there instead if you’re not going to discuss about the drama at all. This is the drama’s main thread, not a shipping thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Flower Garden shipper’s thread has been set up. Search for it in Shippers Paradise. Please go and do your shipping there instead if you’re not going to discuss about the drama at all. This is the drama’s main thread, not a shipping thread. 

Sorry, I did not want to provoke anyone, since I am in this forum, I always analyze the dramas that I watch,  and i give my opinion, there it was also just excitement nothing to do with the fact of putting everyone agree with me, sorry if this has been misinterpreted

Otherwise can't wait to see season 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, marrez1 said:

Sorry, I did not want to provoke anyone, since I am in this forum, I always analyze the dramas that I watch,  and i give my opinion, there it was also just excitement nothing to do with the fact of putting everyone agree with me, sorry if this has been misinterpreted

Otherwise can't wait to see season 2

No problem at all. I am a shipper too, of many ships in fact, so I know how sometimes I cannot contain the excitement within me. But since a separate shipper’s thread been set up, let’s do the shipping there out of respect to those who may not be a shipper. 

• Like 3

I am not sure if anyone ever discussed this before.  The parallel between kalguksu dinner and the last dinner ep. 12. In the former,  IJ dan SHw barely interacted,  although seated next to each other.  IJ and YSH the two which were not in the three people group talk. 

In the last episode,  IJ and SHw were the main people who lead the conversation, although seating apart.

If you looked again at Jung Wan lunch with Ik Sun,  the song played after Jung Wan replied that he did (mixing noddle)  only for Iksun.  'Because it's you'.  And cue,  the melody. 

The same melody played right after Ikjun indirect morning confession. 

If,  this is if,  Iksun feeling was touched and grew stronger for Junwan after that particular speech,  SHw's might,  too. 

This combo writer and director are smart and clever. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, superspace said:

I just want to share one of my favourite quotes from Hospital Playlist which is maybe quite useful with the current situation:

Maybe time is what we need. And maybe time is what some people need.

To see things that they denied to see.

To understand the story and the message that Production team want to deliver through Hospital Playlist.

To accept the reality.

To respect the fact that not everyone has to agree with you, and you don't have to agree with everyone.

Jong Su is like my spirit animal because that's also how I solve most of my problems hahahahah :lol: 

Speaking of these cute elderlies, what I'd hate to see for the future seasons is that their death may be inevitably written onto the storyline and Its gonna break my heart soooooo much :tears:

Also, JongSu's depression issue wasn't fully resolved or addressed yet, same thing with SeokHyeong's mother's arrythmia :(  I hope sad news wouldn't happen...

And one more thing im still confused at on my NOT-25th-rewatch :phew: for the first episode, during the funeral scene where JunWan asked if IkJun knew something and SongHwa responded no he didn't. What is that 'thing'?????:blink:

Screen-Shot-2020-07-01-at-6-31-26-PM.png 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

During this break, every analysis/fanfic/discussion related to various shipping should be done on their respective threads.

Once season 2 returns, discussion on couples could resume since it is related to season 2.

Meanwhile during this break, in my opinion, we should only discuss their friendship (be in reality or in drama), kinship, any updates on the cast members like what they are doing, anything that is funny/sexy/beautiful related to the cast members and any updates to season 2 in this thread.

For example, JKH is doing a live broadcast today at 8pm KST, I believe it is on Youtube. He had mentioned that he is nervous on his ig when he update the fans on the timing of his live

Below is two Youtube channel, not sure which is his, LMAO

정말이야

정말이야 [Kyungho Jung - OFFICIAL]

• Love 4
  • Awesome 2

On 6/30/2020 at 6:35 PM, KDramaFan0828 said:

To veer away from the usual loveline talks, I’ve had a few thoughts while rewatching and I’m wondering if anyone would have related insights.

I've said this in passing in a separate thread but I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning here as well to possibly get other people's inputs. I don't know if it's just me but I can't help but see Jwon-SHwa in Hongdo-Yunbok. Is it because of Hongdo's simple-mindedness and innocence which gives me the the same vibe with Jeongwon being a pure-hearted manchild? Or maybe I see SHwa's strength and competence in Yunbok's diligence and enthusiastic energy? The scene where Hongdo can't help but cry talking about their mom and when he felt really attached to the baby, as well as all the scenes of Yunbok impressively answering her seniors' questions give off the same vibe as their older counterparts as well (we all know who's Mr. Sensitive and Ms. Achiever). Using the concept of twins narratively was also interesting to me as twins are effective literary instruments to compare and contrast two linked characters and some people have already noted a few similarities between Jwon and SHwa such as how both of them have been very calculating in their actions and both mostly silent with their POV in the first season. Not to mention, and I think most importantly, the mysterious deep bond between twins which may resemble the telepathic friendship between Jwon and SHwa. I haven't really thought about this much but it always crosses my mind while rewatching LOL.

Sorry for cutting your post. Newish member here and first time poster on this thread. I know we don't know each other but by any chance do you have the super power of reading minds of fellow fans? :smiley: 

I'm on a rewatch of Hospital playlist currently and I also noticed the same thing. In fact I had written a small note to post here on the forum.

I had written this before I read your post "Hong Do and Yun Bok are parallels of Jeong Won and Song Hwa. They are soulmates in some ways yet so different. (Edit: This is my definition of soulmates and it doesn't have any romantic connotation :D). The girl is the practical, more studious and emotional on the inside of the two and the brother is the more openly sensitive one. Though they have interacted with all the five, we are shown through their eyes the antics of only Jeong Won (pouting and fretting in the meeting with Seok Hyung) and Song Hwa (crazy dancing in the church)."

But before I could write more I came across your post. You'd already said  what I wanted to and in better words.

One thing I can say for sure. The makers have hit it out of the park with Hospital Playlist. 

This show is like a beautifully written exposition. No matter how many times you read it you find something new every time. The hallmark of a true classic

11 hours ago, sillyvivian_yo89 said:

And one more thing im still confused at on my NOT-25th-rewatch :phew: for the first episode, during the funeral scene where JunWan asked if IkJun knew something and SongHwa responded no he didn't. What is that 'thing'?????:blink:

That 'thing' is the fact that Ahn Jeong Won's family owns Yulje Hospital. 

Now that you mentioned this scene, isn't it interesting that Song Hwa was so sure that Ik Jun didn't know about it?

I swear this series just keeps me thinking all the time. And it's not even a mystery thriller!! Its like I'm compelled by a voice inside my head to keep discussing Hospital Playlist. I am done for!!

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, ~Always~ said:

Sorry for cutting your post. Newish member here and first time poster on this thread. I know we don't know each other but by any chance do you have the super power of reading minds of fellow fans? :smiley: 

I'm on a rewatch of Hospital playlist currently and I also noticed the same thing. In fact I had written a small note to post here on the forum.

I had written this before I read your post "Hong Do and Yun Bok are parallels of Jeong Won and Song Hwa. They are soulmates in some ways yet so different. The girl is the practical, more studious and emotional on the inside of the two and the brother is the more openly sensitive one. Though they have interacted with all the five, we are shown through their eyes the antics of only Jeong Won (pouting and fretting in the meeting with Seok Hyung) and Song Hwa (crazy dancing in the church)."

But before I could write more I came across your post. You'd already said  what I wanted to and in better words.

One thing I can say for sure. The makers have hit it out of the park with Hospital Playlist. 

This show is like a beautifully written exposition. No matter how many times you read it you find something new every time. The hallmark of a true classic

That 'thing' is the fact that Ahn Jeong Won's family owns Yulje Hospital. 

Now that you mentioned this scene, isn't it interesting that Song Hwa was so sure that Ik Jun didn't know about it?

I swear this series just keeps me thinking all the time. And it's not even a mystery thriller!! Its like I'm compelled by a voice inside my head to keep discussing Hospital Playlist. I am done for!!

Hi, Chingu! :lol: Welcome to the thread! And great to hear that I’m not the only one who noticed. For a moment I was thinking that maybe I’ve gone crazy from my multiple rewatches and that I’ve been reading into the parallelisms too much but I can’t help but see it HAHAHA. Appreciate you sharing your own notes. I’ve also wanted to mention how they are soulmates in a way but I’ve avoided to as the term is usually misunderstood to have a romantic connotation, when I really think their deep bond is purely platonic and more of like a brother and sister. Just as how Hongdo and Yunbok were mistaken as a couple and been labeled as soulmates. I agree with fellow Chingu-deul here that their bond is really special which makes it so much more believable that they easily share secrets with each other. Just as how SHwa knew about Gyeoul, Jwon most likely has an idea about the mystery of SHwa’s past :lol: 

And I agree. I find it really enjoyable to analyze this drama. No matter how many times I’ve rewatched, I still notice new nuances I didn’t before. And because of this, I find myself being more mindful of the different elements in and analyzing the other dramas I’m watching now.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KDramaFan0828 said:

Hi, Chingu! :lol: Welcome to the thread! And great to hear that I’m not the only one who noticed. For a moment I was thinking that maybe I’ve gone crazy from my multiple rewatches and that I’ve been reading into the parallelisms too much but I can’t help but see it HAHAHA. Appreciate you sharing your own notes. I’ve also wanted to mention how they are soulmates in a way but I’ve avoided to as the term is usually misunderstood to have a romantic connotation, when I really think their deep bond is purely platonic and more of like a brother and sister. Just as how Hongdo and Yunbok were mistaken as a couple and been labeled as soulmates. I agree with fellow Chingu-deul here that their bond is really special which makes it so much more believable that they easily share secrets with each other. Just as how SHwa knew about Gyeoul, Jwon most likely has an idea about the mystery of SHwa’s past :lol: 

And I agree. I find it really enjoyable to analyze this drama. No matter how many times I’ve rewatched, I still notice new nuances I didn’t before. And because of this, I find myself being more mindful of the different elements in and analyzing the other dramas I’m watching now.

Same Chingu. My thoughts exactly. You really are a mind reader!!

Agree about the romantic connotation attached to soulmates. Most people understand it as that which is a shame because it means so much more than romantic love. Both Song Hwa and Jeong Won can read the other instinctively without a word being said. Fight like brothers and sisters do. I still crack up at the way Jeong Won was furious in the Kalguksu scene at Song Hwa and Jun Wan for eating all the meat. That's such a maknae thing to do.

About Jeong Won knowing about Song Hwa's past...I have a hunch. Will be back to share it later. 

Edited by ~Always~
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

OMG!! Thursday is  Hospital Playlist day!! :dontwanna:

So after Kyungho online fanmeet, we can continue with Shin-Na PD live streaming!

They posted this news in Hospital Playlist ig acc. So the special guest must be related to HP right? 

I’m so excited!! 

Btw, the link is still the same with Mido Falasol live performance — Na Pd YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/채널십오야

Edited by superspace
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@KDramaFan0828 and @~Always~

I agree with the comparisons you make although not necessarily the connection. I had noticed that Hongdo was very much like Jeong-won especially when he was on rotation with JWon and Gyeo-ul in Episode 10. They're both hardcore softies. I personally wouldn't use the language of "soulmates" between Song-hwa and Jeong-won myself as I tend to see them more as siblings and I always have. As far as I was concerned she always seemed to be more of the older sister to his younger brother. They're very comfortable with each other and neither of them seem all that interested in changing that dynamic.

If there is anyone I think of Song-hwa's soulmate that would be Jun-wan. 

Sorry for cutting your post short HAHA I understand what you mean. I've had my reservations in labelling them as soulmates because I'm not exactly familiar as to what that would entail. I guess it was a convenient association as the no-words-needed dynamic (what comes to my mind when I think of soulmates HAHA) between them really stood out to me. But, I completely agree on the brother-sister dynamic where SHwa is the noona. Maybe that's also why I see them in the twins because Yunbok also seems more mature, composed, and responsible than Hongdo.  :lol:

22 minutes ago, superspace said:

So after Kyungho online fanmeet, we can continue with Shin-Na PD live streaming!

They posted this news in Hospital Playlist ig acc. So the special guest must be related to HP right? 

Iam so excited!! 

OMO is this also on Na PD's youtube channel? :o They're spoiling us fans but I'm not complaining!!

• Love 2

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It seemed to me that the show wanted to move away from making her the central object of romance to be her own person first and foremost. She's 40 and has dated intermittently outside of the group. That should tell us off the bat how she feels about romancing any of the guys.

OMG YES!! I always feel the same thing with Song-hwa. Sometimes in a story, when there is only one woman in a group, she most likely would be the center of the romance or her problem generally would be finding the Mr. Right. But for Song-hwa, I don’t feel that kind of vibe. She looks so contented whenever she does her hobbies or job. On the contrary, when it comes to her romance-related scene in present time, all I can see is she seems a bit uncomfortable or confused, at least up until season 1. That's why I don't get all the husband-hunting game revolves around her. Honestly, my iksong heart still supports her with Ik-jun but I don't find it has to be rushed, and I'm quite open with the possibility of her remains single until the end.

My wishful thinking for season 2 is to see whether Song-hwa has a female friend outside the group, or anything that shows her deep relationship with fellow woman.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Recap from Shin-Na PD Live Streaming (from twitter)

1) Shin PD: HP S2 will be in a new season in 2021 (Na Pd said the answer is very ambiguous)

Spoiler

2) Shin PD said that he has a lot of videos like audition clips/making clips, so in order for viewers to not be bored, he will release things every once in a while!!! OMG!! I love him so much!

Spoiler

And they have posted the trailer of weekly contents!! :wub:
EVERY THURSDAY AT NA PD YT CHANNEL AT 9PM!!

3) The special guest is KDM!! Many fans have guessed it would be him! Happy that we get almost all 99 squad contents today!! He shared that there was no pressure on 99 squad to really play the instruments but at the end all of them were practicing very hard. Shin PD picked JKH as the one who’s instrument skills have improved the most.

Spoiler

4) KDM has least NGs and JJS has the most NGs and shin PD said he laugh on his own!! :D

Spoiler

5) And cross our finger, I definitely pray hard for this to be come true: Na PD please kidnap 99 squad for any variety show that you have! :tears:

Spoiler

https://twitter.com

ff/winterflower99z/status/1278666069893197824?s=20

Thank you for winterflower99z who have translated the live streaming. I just re-post in this thread for friends who maybe doesn't have twitter or missed the live streaming.

So at least, we got confirmation that every Thursday is still Hospital Playlist day. Hope we get many new BTS/Making/NGs/Audition clips and soon the trailer of S2!!

:eats:

Edited by superspace
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@KDramaFan0828 and @~Always~

I agree with the comparisons you make although not necessarily the connection. I had noticed that Hongdo was very much like Jeong-won especially when he was on rotation with JWon and Gyeo-ul in Episode 10. They're both hardcore softies. I personally wouldn't use the language of "soulmates" between Song-hwa and Jeong-won myself as I tend to see them more as siblings and I always have. As far as I was concerned she always seemed to be more of the older sister to his younger brother. They're very comfortable with each other and neither of them seem all that interested in changing that dynamic.

Actually your comment in bold is what the intent of my words was. Since I just reproduced my note verbatim in agreement with @KDramaFan0828 so I didn't think over how it will be interpreted. What I have in my mind regarding 'soulmates' is perhaps very different from how it's commonly understood. The sibling like relationship is also one such kind in my head. But what soulmate means is a discussion not meant for this forum. :)

So I'd rather retract that word from my post lest a certain shipping community misquote my comment in support of their ship. :P

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

IMO the problem has always been that certain segments of the fandom assumed that just because Song-hwa was the only female among the Five that she was the centre of a harem. Because of that this has caused a lot of unnecessary grief. It has created a de facto ship rivalry that the showrunners never intended. I feel that even now that Song-hwa's role in this show (at least in S1) hasn't been properly understood. The real irony of the entire situation is that (and perhaps that's deliberate on the part of the writer) is that Song-hwa is positioned as someone aloof from the foibles of romance

There's also been another assumption that I don't agree with. That Song-hwa is the central female character and the show somehow revolves around her. Firstly, I don't agree that there is a central female character and/or that the show revolves around her. Song-hwa certainly holds a very responsible position in the hospital and is in a position of authority but there are all kinds of female characters in the show that are highlighted particularly in relationship with the various departments, most of whom are great characters. Secondly, it is a slice-of-life medical drama where we catch snippets of activities and interactions in a hospital. Each episode has its own theme to which all the featured moments converge.  For instance, in the show Song-hwa spends far more time with Chi-hong and the rest of her students than she does with her besties. We don't even know what her mum, dad or brothers look like.

Since I got into the series pretty late I've not caught up with all the previous posts so not sure if the director's interviews have been posted here. I read a few korean news items where the director made certain points (mine in italics)

a. The series is 70% medical drama and 30% romance. - So its definitely not a reverse harem, neither is SongHwa the central character.

b. He said that he is aware that no doctor is as good as the lacking 5 are shown. But he still made them the way they are - amazing empathetic humans who're attached, involved and feeling towards their patients - because he wishes the people to be like that in reality. - Love the makers for this thought process. 

c. About Song Hwa he said that there was no reason to show what she feels in season 1. She had just broken up with a cheating partner, is busy and somewhat content with what she's doing so it would be illogical to show she was interested romantically with anyone. - It can't get any real than this. She's 40 not 20 to be pining for love (I mean one can but it would be so tiring!!) And the girl said so herself in the show.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/01/pick-editors-pick-best-worst-dramas-of-the-first-half-of-2020/

[PICK] Editors’ Pick – Best & Worst Dramas of the First Half of 2020

By Krishkim | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

639688E2-2FEA-4981-99B3-EE00C908D0B6.jpg

Credit: JTBC, SBS

In the first half of 2020, dramas received two opposite reviews. While dramas like Crash Landing On You, which first premiered at the end of last year, The World of the Married, Hospital Playlist, and Itaewon Class received favorable reactions and recorded high viewership, other works, such as The King: Eternal Monarch and A Piece of Your Mind, showed disappointing results despite their casting of star actors. In the case of Meow, the Secret Boy, it became the first drama that aired on terrestrial TV network to record the dishonorable viewership of 0 percent.

Let’s take a look at editors’ best and worst pick. (selection made among all the dramas that premiered since 2020.01.01.)

Editor Hwang Hong Sun’s Pick – BEST: Hospital Playlist / WORST: Hi Bye, Mama!

AF9D1414-9EE6-432D-9935-10EFC4A81684.png
Credit: tvN

Hospital Playlist is the drama that makes people think of people first before the hospital. The chemistry shown by the five main characters was as sympathetic and warm as if we were watching our own friends. Jeon Mi Do, who made her first TV drama debut with the drama, showed such a strong presence that it made me wonder why she didn’t come out earlier. There were some criticisms that such good and warm stories are not realistic, but still, the drama delivered its sincerity with delicate and emotional portrayals.

Edited by triplem
I have removed the rest which are irrelevant to this drama.
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Firstly, I don't agree that there is a central female character and/or that the show revolves around her. Song-hwa certainly holds a very responsible position in the hospital and is in a position of authority but there are all kinds of female characters in the show that are highlighted particularly in relationship with the various departments, most of whom are great characters. Secondly, it is a slice-of-life medical drama where we catch snippets of activities and interactions in a hospital.

omg this is the part i love and indeed you really know how to explain in a word...this is why i love all the character in HP..because its not only about ‘them’ or certain characters...yet, can i said every character shine on their own their stories even minor characters like fox residents 

and still it not affect the main character...but shin pd mention they been preparing this drama for almost four years..little by little and i think that why even little things was been potray in a good way...this is totally great

• Like 1