[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

My thoughts on why Songhwa didn’t confess in 1999

If you’re in a “some”, and the next day the person suddenly distances himself from you, it’s pretty obvious. Especially if you’ve reached that stage where Ikjun and Songhwa were at. And you’d probably start wondering if you did or said something wrong.

And maybe Ikjun started dating someone else shortly after. Well, he was popular.

49991602482_5519030e7c_o.png

But more importantly, based on her personality, I don't think Songhwa would ever confront Ikjun, or confess how she felt. Firstly, she’s not someone who would cross the line. As far as possible, she would choose to avoid conflict.

Remember during the kalguksu scene, both Jeongwon and Songhwa were afraid to cross the line with Professor Min. But Junwan had no qualms doing so. This corresponded with their propensity to confess. Junwan was quick to confess to Iksun, while Jeongwon sat on his feelings until Gyeoul literally came knocking on his door.

Also, despite how Chihong repeatedly crossed the line and made her feel uncomfortable, she always smiled, kept things professional and stopped short of telling him off.

In both instances, she managed to find solutions, which solved the problems without causing any conflict and it was a win-win situation for everyone. That, I think was very wise of her. But I also wonder, if it would be possible for her to do that every single time. What if another suitor appears in Sokcho, would she go to Jeju-do?

Secondly, she doesn’t like to be placed/seen in a vulnerable position. She puts on a strong front before her patients, her colleagues, and even her closest friends.

I’ve talked about the breast biopsy scene before. The only time we saw her vulnerable side was when she was alone in her car, trying to put on some lipstick. In front of her co-workers, she’s also seen as this super capable and practically flawless professor with an impossible work schedule. Songhwa is a human too, she must be tired after long hours of surgery, but she never lets it show.

Hence, I believe that while she wouldn’t hesitate to create opportunities for her and Ikjun, she would never be the first to confess. Because it places her in a vulnerable position; by baring her feelings, she risks getting hurt. (Gyeoul really deserves a round of applause.)

In season 2, I wonder if we would see Songhwa take the bull by the horns and tackle conflicts head-on. Especially if she chooses to accept Ikjun's feelings, it wouldn't be an easy path. I also hope that one day, she’d allow herself to show her vulnerable side to the people who love and care for her. Mental note: Songhwa’s follow-up biopsy test is due in February.

• Like 14
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 4

Since we are on this topic, let us take a look at the mandarin translation and the whole conversation.

How could you judge using one phrase instead of the whole conversation?

LaAGUJS.jpg

GvGsu00.jpg

OMS7sFz.jpg

Spoiler

b1ARAHl.jpg

yir7OvK.jpg

wjSwKKT.jpg

cXZb2hX.jpg

X1tytNe.jpg

CPLSz04.jpg

ngh0qRN.jpg

Starting from the 1st pic.

SHwa: Jungwon, get married

SHwa: Find someone nice and get married soon

SHwa: Otherwise have children soon (I understand for english sub, it said 'or have baby 1st, did not expect SHwa to suggest shotgun)

SHwa: Since you love kids so much

After that Jungwon threw the same topic back to her

JWon: You too get married soon

JWon: Don't you love kids too?

SHwa: I don't love kids that much

SHwa: But my nephews are adorable 

SHwa: U-ju is adorable

SHwa: Haven't seen U-ju for a while.

I did take a look at eng sub as well. It is somewhat similar in context.

So to interpret this conversation as an indirect confession from either one amused me.

Basically is two close friends encouraging one another to get married soon.

For SHwa to include U-ju is also quite something

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 5

7 minutes ago, ryanallright said:

And they will get married to their respective partners in the next season. This is a foreshadowing, I tell you. One too many people have told Jeong won to get married and have children. If it's not going happen, why put that dialogue there? I have high hopes that we will even see miniwintergarden babies next year. Kekekeke. 

• Like 7
  • Naughty 5
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

Let me put in my two cents on the translation. I am no expert on Korean, but I think i know enough for this one. The main confusion comes from Korean sentences oftentimes not having the subject, similar to Chinese language.

What SHwa said was “gyeorun haja” (Chinese equivalent 結婚吧) ~ no subject mentioned. So a more correct translation should be “get married” or “let’s get (you) married” if looking at the whole conversation, because the next thing she said is for him to find a nice girl. Instead of asking him to set their own (SH-JW) wedding date. If she were to suggest getting married to each other, I believe she will say “uri gyeorun haja” (Chinese equivalent 我們結婚吧) ~ uri means we/us. 

We need to always interpret based on context, not just take one sentence out of context. I am sorry to say that some translators are just not doing a careful enough job translating by considering the context of the conversation.  

• Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

18 minutes ago, ryanallright said:

Since we are on this topic, let us take a look at the mandarin translation and the whole conversation.

How could you judge using one phrase instead of the whole conversation?

Starting from the 1st pic.

18 minutes ago, ryanallright said:

SHwa: Jungwon, get married

SHwa: Find someone nice and get married soon

SHwa: Otherwise have children soon (I understand for english sub, it said 'or have baby 1st, did not expect SHwa to suggest shotgun)

SHwa: Since you love kids so much

After that Jungwon threw the same topic back to her

JWon: You too get married soon

JWon: Don't you love kids too?

SHwa: I don't love kids that much

SHwa: But my nephews are adorable 

SHwa: U-ju is adorable

SHwa: Haven't seen U-ju for a while.

I did take a look at eng sub as well. It is somewhat similar in context.

So to interpret this conversation as an indirect confession from either one amused me.

thank you for the Chinese translation

it did help to better understand the conversation than the English version

Korean to Chinese is better in translation

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LovelyLady said:

She quickly draw the line. No to the IRL shipping. It's work.

Why do they ask her that kind of questions? It's uncomfortable

Hahaha..have you compared her other works? I think this is her 1st time that she experience this kind of level "everyone is shipping her hard".

Imagine Park Min Young, Go Ara, Seo Hyun Jin, IU and Yoona or Kim Go Eun or Son Ye Jin previously in their drama. They were too tired to answer fan ships but then they just follow the flow - to make the drama fanbase grow and well..more audience. I might be biased. LoL

SHB was like "hmm, okay. Did I say that? Not really in my mind." She doesnt care about any fan shipping and shrugged it off. Remind you that she havent seen any rage troll fans who will comment on her post everyday like Son Ye Jin fans. LMAO

I believe she is not that kind of person who would embrace fan shipping, ya know. She is like "what happpened in drama, stays in drama. If irl?, maybe it takes more than that."

In my honest opinion, her endgame potential love interest is not someone from acting world. Hahaha

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

Despite many theories of some of the coupling, I believe the love line that we have seen in S1 is alrd settled. Also, this is Wise Series where the PD wants it to be more relatable, kind of slice of life with no complicated plot esp the romance (Shin PD said it himself). 

Looking at Winter Garden progression, after so much patience we can finally see them tgt on the last episode! That's why IkSong love line whom I think the most complicated one (20 years of friendship, Ikjun being a divorcee just recently, thus Songhwa's hesitation and contemplation), will progress slow and maybe we will see them tgt in S3. We still have Bidulgi Couple and GomGom couple to tell as well.

Imo, although the story focuses on these 5 best friends, we also get the residents and many others in this drama who are also the key of relatable stories surrounding the hospital. therefore, the slow progression of the love lines is understandable. and even when the fans love the romance here, in the end of the day what Shin PD wants to emphasise is more than just romance but the portrayal of doctors' life. 

• Like 9
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mkats said:

For the benefit of those who haven't found it yet, here's the opening theme of Hospital Playlist. Something to add in our OST collection while we wait for Season 2 ;)

Woah, thank youu!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 1

A Kiss Foretold and Fulfilled - So very clever PD Shin and Writer Lee 

From Ep5

5-B5816-F7-D1-FD-4-D84-9-BBE-107079-E5-E

652-D5595-C29-E-4-A55-89-E4-5-ACB7585-B9

And in Ep12.  It plays out exactly as foretold.  Thanks be to the magic splicing of PD Shin and JunWan the Christmas elf and a bit of “bibbidi bobbidi boo“ from Rosa.

Spoiler

36-C14-ECD-F265-4-BB9-AE33-7-D3-BA94447-
Christmas day first kiss.

207-D0-CAE-87-B3-459-D-9-D58-812-F95-F89
Matching rings.

And so they lived happily ever after.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, kokodus said:

SHB channeling Gyeo ul when it comes to food. Girl has her priorities set straight. Na PD please cast her or invite her as a guest in 3MAD. LOL. 

or maybe she could join Coffee Friends S2 with Chef Yoo! :wub: (I wish!!)

Spoiler

ezgif-4-2049b28c02a8.gif

ezgif-4-fff817db016f.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

Hi, 

I'm a silent reader all these times. Really enjoy to read this group. The only way to make me less empty every Thursday is by reading this group. hehehe. Anyway would like to ask, is there anyone here also ship Jeong Won with Dr.Bae? I love their interaction since early episode 2, the scene of Jeong Won smiled when Dr.Bae explaining the kid's condition to the mom. Don't get me wrong, i also  a fan of Winter Garden. But I think Dr.Baek is also a nice catch! 

3 hours ago, superspace said:

or maybe she could join Coffee Friends S2 with Chef Yoo! :wub: (I wish!!)

OMG YES THIS IS IT!!!!! This has to happen!!! SHB also said she can cook. They can transform from "acting-partners" to "cooking partners" LOL. Please Na PD make it happen!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Love how they are so “locked in” (using a band phrase here for bassist and drummer) that they can read each other’s minds.  They have both been called “psychic” by others.  :)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Did you notice how in sync SH/JW were as he was thinking of Gyeo-wool - the first person he wanted to tell about his plans to stay? SH read his mind and broke out into a knowing smile, mentioning the word “gyeo-wool” three times to tease her psychic partner. Totally agree they’re locked in around JW’s love life with GW :)

• Like 14
  • Awesome 3