[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

im rewatching the confession again for ...th time :joy:

anyway, the flashback shown after GW answered IJ's question when did she like JWon

1st flashback..their 1st meeting at the GS meeting room

2nd flashback..IJ informed MH that GW was admitted to the ER due to allergic reaction,

and subsequent JWon's reaction running to the ER

3rd flashback..subsequent heart to heart conversation between Jwon & SHwa about his decision to stay

4th flashback...JWan found Jwon's drawer empty

these flashbacks...dont they look more like Jwon's POV, instead of GW's??

• Like 11
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 3

27 minutes ago, milkokoa said:

Someone mentioned on twitter that wintergarden had their first kiss during winter, so Iksong will have their first kiss in the rain. My imagination going wild lol

2021 is too far :(

lol kiss in the rain with the umbrella thrown aside onto the ground

@im0202 Not the end, there is still a special episode and live performance on thurs. Hope my usual fansub will have

• Like 6

6 hours ago, signupabove said:

@Prettysup it was the drawer that AJW kept this rosaries. It’s now empty because he has decided not to pursue priesthood. That’s why KJW had a smile on his face when he saw the empty drawer. 

Earlier in the episode, when Ikjun was in their office, he took candy from KJW’s drawer and then he went over to AJW’s desk, opened the drawer. That’s when the catholic music was played and then he did a funny band gesture as he closed the drawer, I’m guessing to show that it was “holy/sacred.” 

Oic, thanks !

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, hushhh said:

I think Song and IJ were dating in college.  I think she was waiting for IJ on her birthday when SH confessed and IJ didn't show up. IJ might be a bit odd but he isn't full off delusional.  He wouldn't buy a ring for someone without a least a slight indication that the person might accept it.

I also believe that they were dating or, at least, they both knew they liked each other. I am sure Song Hwa was hurt when Ik Jun did not show up at her brithday "party", cooling off the romantic relationship. I don`t think she knew about the ring (how much Ik Jun liked her) but I am curious if Ik Jun told her why they broke up. I believe she did not know. Maybe she had to repress her feelings, thinking he doesn`t like me the way I thought or he prefers to keep only the friendship.

I would not want to see a "love triangle" in this drama. I like both Ik Jung and Ahn but whatever Song Hwa will decide it is fine by me. I want Ik Jun to have another chance.

• Like 9
  • Love 2

Have Koreans discarded the superstition that if you give someone you love shoes, they'll run away?

I couldn't figure out what to make of SongHwa giving Chi-Yong shoes.

I also wanted to say,  not becoming a priest isn't giving up on God, or else most Catholic would have forsaken God.

At least in the West, not becoming a priest doesn't require giving up your Rosaries.  

All I can say is JWon's father must have been a committed Catholic to have 5 children who wanted to make service to God their vocation. I suspect it is the father, because Rosa doesn't come off as a dedicated Catholic.  It hard to know what a dedicated Catholic would look like.

People's health: Everyone is worried about JWon's headaches, Song's herniated disc, but the NetFlix translation of SH made it sound like he did have long to live.  I don't speak Korean, so . . .  I can't tell if it is the script or Netflix.

"I don't want to waste time. My time is too precious for that. I want to live doing the things I like and the things I want to do right now. That's why I wanted to start a band. I used you guys."  That's the speech they usually give to the hero whose dying young.  

I'm just going to make up random crap.

SH came back to Korea to die and have a band with his friend.

He divorced because he was dying and didn't want to be a burden to his wife.

His wife loves him. 

He's keeping himself away from people because he doesn't want the burden of having more friends to leave behind.

If he is sick and thinks he's dying he must be sick and dying because as a doctor with family money he would have been able to seek out the best cure.

We don't see enough of him from the past to know if this perpetual sadness is new or just his neurological setting.

OR

He's as healthy as a healthy horse

His ex-wife is back because she knows of the inheritance

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, larus said:

I also believe that they were dating or, at least, they both knew they liked each other. I am sure Song Hwa was hurt when Ik Jun did not show up at her brithday "party", cooling off the romantic relationship. I don`t think she knew about the ring (how much Ik Jun liked her) but I am curious if Ik Jun told her why they broke up. I believe she did not know. Maybe she had to repress her feelings, thinking he doesn`t like me the way I thought or he prefers to keep only the friendship.

I would not want to see a "love triangle" in this drama. I like both Ik Jung and Ahn but whatever Song Hwa will decide it is fine by me. I want Ik Jun to have another chance.

At first I thought it was like that too but the final episode kinda contradict this bc of Ikjun's confession. He mentioned if he didn't confess now he will regret it for the rest of his life... So them being a thing during college probably never happen, no? 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, yukiyukiku said:

im rewatching the confession again for ...th time :joy:

anyway, the flashback shown after GW answered IJ's question when did she like JWon

1st flashback..their 1st meeting at the GS meeting room

2nd flashback..IJ informed MH that GW was admitted to the ER due to allergic reaction,

and subsequent JWon's reaction running to the ER

3rd flashback..subsequent heart to heart conversation between Jwon & SHwa about his decision to stay

4th flashback...JWan found Jwon's drawer empty

these flashbacks...dont they look more like Jwon's POV, instead of GW's??

I'm quite confused by why they chose to show these particular set of flashbacks. This is the scene we were all waiting for. The moment of truth. Whether he is staying or leaving is what we wanted to know. And we instantly know that he is staying when he kissed her. So the flashbacks should be more of why he chose to stay, right? I get why they showed the ER scene and him discussing his decision to stay with Songhwa. But why did they add their first meeting and how she fell in love with him at first sight...don't tell me....unless he also fell in love with her at first sight? I don't think thats the case. I mean it's a really cute scene with baby Gyeo ul having milk stache and everything, plus who wouldn't fall in love with that handsome face? I totally get Gyeo ul. My only question is why did they add that when we were intently waiting for Jeong won's pov. It could have been shown then and there when Ikjun asked her first. Why hide it like it's some big secret and reveal it at the end? LOL. I'm trying to understand the writer's thought process here. Haha. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 6

47 minutes ago, kokodus said:

I'm quite confused by why they chose to show these particular set of flashbacks. This is the scene we were all waiting for. The moment of truth. Whether he is staying or leaving is what we wanted to know. And we instantly know that he is staying when he kissed her. So the flashbacks should be more of why he chose to stay, right? I get why they showed the ER scene and him discussing his decision to stay with Songhwa. But why did they add their first meeting and how she fell in love with him at first sight...don't tell me....unless he also fell in love with her at first sight? I don't think thats the case. I mean it's a really cute scene with baby Gyeo ul having milk stache and everything, plus who wouldn't fall in love with that handsome face? I totally get Gyeo ul. My only question is why did they add that when we were intently waiting for Jeong won's pov. It could have been shown then and there when Ikjun asked her first. Why hide it like it's some big secret and reveal it at the end? LOL. I'm trying to understand the writer's thought process here. Haha. 

me too..i am puzzled now that i notice those flashbacks are more into Jwon' background/reasons

when the initial question was when GW fell for Jwon

And like you said, i thought too if JWon fell for GW the moment he saw her in the GS meeting room

with her milk stache..perhaps he found it too cute like little kids

But that's bit overstrecth

So i don't know...i hope the writer & PD will explain in the special eps next week

or put some scene for Jwon's POV in the 2nd season

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, milkokoa said:

At first I thought it was like that too but the final episode kinda contradict this bc of Ikjun's confession. He mentioned if he didn't confess now he will regret it for the rest of his life... So them being a thing during college probably never happen, no? 

We`ll see what really happened. What I suspect about them (I already mentioned about it) doesn`t contradict what IK Jun said. They were never really an open couple. They liked each other and probably dating in secret for a while. We all see that Ik Jun had serious/ strong feelings for Song Hwa and he never had the oportunity to confess. Or maybe they were not yet a couple but Ik Jun wanted to asked her to became a couple at her birthday. It doesn`t matter if thew were or not a  couple, but they definitely had romantic feelings for each other and they knew it.  I understand Ik Jun being the good friend (He thought about Seok-Hyeong `s feelings. He knew that probably their friendship would have been deteriorated because they were in love with the same woman.) but I believe he decided one-sided about the relationship with Song Hwa. And I think Song Hwa was disappointed and hurt (first love wouldn`t materialize). They both remain friends and repress their feelings. They care and love each other as friends but the question is if still there is romantic feelings left. As we saw, Ik Jun still has those feelings. Of course, he would have regreted the rest of his life if he would not confess now. Good for him. Even if she will not accept to rekindle their old romance, he/they can move on.

If Song Hwa will have these lingering feelings left or new romantic feelings she will agree to became a romantic couple with Ik Jun. They know each other very well by now. She will know if they will be compatible or not. If not accept Ik Jun`s love confession , it will be a little awkard at first but they can be friends.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, __jesse said:

Spoiler

Hi @hushhh I think Songhwa gave Chihong shoes to tell him, it's time for him to leave her side.

Also, I really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts, thank you all for sharing such wonderful insights and astute observations of all the lovelines. I’d just like to add some of my thoughts, which I think haven’t been mentioned before.

I think the scene where Gyeoul removed maggots from the homeless man’s rotting leg was significant in many ways. As many have pointed out, the writer had set up the scenarios to show the contrast between Gyeoul and Dr Bae’s actions. Dr Bae knew how to comfort the guardians, while Gyeoul’s words were blunt and tactless. However, while Gyeoul went about removing the maggots without a word, Dr Bae was unable to do anything.

• Dr Bae is a fellow in the ER dept. In the course of her work, she must have come across all sorts of emergency patients. And yet, she couldn’t bring herself to touch the maggots.
  • As doctors, actions speak louder than words. Compared to knowing how to say the right words, it’s far more important to be able to do the right things.
  • Also, being tactful is something which comes with experience and can be learned, as we have seen through Gyeoul and Junwan.

Another POV which I think has been overlooked is that of the patient’s. He was homeless, hadn’t showered for months and his leg was covered with maggots. He was probably shunned by everyone – even the medics and doctors didn’t want to come near him. Gyeoul was the only person who treated him with dignity and equally, as she would’ve treated any other patient.

As a devout Catholic and a practising doctor, seeing Gyeoul’s actions probably reminded him of someone: Mother Teresa. Her actions aligned with his values. He became Daddy-Long-Legs because he believed that everyone – rich or poor, local citizen or illegal immigrant – have the right to access medical treatment.

In ep 3, Junwan wondered if Ikjun was having an affair with Gyeoul. Worried, Jeongwon went down to find them and Ikjun asked what Jeongwon thought about Gyeoul. I think this scene is significant because it showed that Jeongwon saw Gyeoul as a woman.

• Jeongwon himself went for dinner and movies alone with other female colleagues but he didn’t see it as an issue because he saw them as colleagues, not as the opposite gender.
  • Also, Jeongwon knew that Ikjun is a social butterfly, who makes friends easily with people from every and any department. Why was it alright for Ikjun to be close to everyone else, except Gyeoul?
  • So, when Ikjun asked him what he thought of Gyeoul, he wasn’t thinking about her as a doctor or colleague, but as a woman.

Personally, I don’t think Jeongwon’s answer matters, because if he had any feelings, he would’ve most likely denied them. But the fact is, from the start, Gyeoul was more than just a colleague and fellow doctor.

My brain is a little fried.  But I remember IJ saying to a doctor [can't remember which one] in one of the last 2 episodes that you can't save patients by being nice to them. 

"We`ll see what really happened. What I suspect about them (I already mentioned about it) doesn`t contradict what IK Jun said. They were never really an open couple. They liked each other and probably dating in secret for a while. We all see that Ik Jun had serious/ strong feelings for Song Hwa and he never had the oportunity to confess. Or maybe they were not yet a couple but Ik Jun wanted to asked her to became a couple at her birthday. It doesn`t matter if thew were or not a  couple, but they definitely had romantic feelings for each other and they knew it.  I understand Ik Jun being the good friend (He thought about Seok-Hyeong `s feelings. He knew that probably their friendship would have been deteriorated because they were in love with the same woman.) but I believe he decided one-sided about the relationship with Song Hwa. And I think Song Hwa was disappointed and hurt (first love wouldn`t materialize). They both remain friends and repress their feelings. They care and love each other as friends but the question is if still there is romantic feelings left. As we saw, Ik Jun still has those feelings. Of course, he would have regreted the rest of his life if he would not confess now. Good for him. Even if she will not accept to rekindle their old romance, he/they can move on.

If Song Hwa will have these lingering feelings left or new romantic feelings she will agree to became a romantic couple with Ik Jun. They know each other very well by now. She will know if they will be compatible or not. If not accept Ik Jun`s love confession , it will be a little awkard at first but they can be friends."

giphy.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

This is also my question but for me its main purpose is for the smooth flow of the story. The scene of Gyeoul and IkJun dialogue which ended in a question was placed at the first scene of episode 12. It allowed my mind to take off from the last scene of  episode 11 and a re-setting or re-establishment of this "conflict" in this episode. This needs to be set up because this "conflict" will be resolved in THIS episode*. It should be left "hanging" because of the huge waiting time. In fact, it actually signals the start of our waiting time. So the first scene adds up to that continuity and build-up. Without the connection of the first scene and the "confession scene", the latter will or might feel disconnected because it will need to take off from ep 11 - which is way too far. This connection also signals that this "conflict" has ended. You cannot put that flashback scene anywhere but there or the "confession scene" may be muted a little bit.**

Just my analysis. I tend to go on the scriptwriting and film editing part. I really wish that there are interviews of the director and writer on their thought process of writing and editing.

Notes:

* A"very simple" question which has little value to the story will not be put at the start only to be answered next season. It would be a waste of a scene since we already know that Gyeoul likes Jeongwon and no one is really asking why. Haha. There were a lot of "hanging" or "open" conflicts established in this episode but those questions needs more than one episode to be resolved. This scene is different.

** Imagine if you put that "love-at-first-sight" scene immediately after Gyeoul-IkJun scene, that scene can stand alone and you can remove it from the whole episode and the episode will still hold - and the "confession scene", as I said,  kinda bit disconnected from all the other scenes.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

If they had dated in secret, IJ would have somehow confess already. Unless your date means those kind of one to one meet up together.

Honestly I will say that they are yet a couple but IJ intended to confess to her on her bday. If not why go through the trouble of getting the gift for her and to pick to her in a one to one meetup. Furthermore, if they dated and broken up after that, wouldn't future meetup be awkward even if they only meet up in group of five instead of one to one.

In the drama, after IJ divorced, SHwa does not avoid any alone time with him and her interaction with IJ is totally different from her interaction with the rest

with JWan is foodie buddies, with JWon is friend who could open up to one another, with Seokhyeong is someone who could counsel him and give him advise.

cc for eng sub

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

25 minutes ago, queue said:

This is also my question but for me its main purpose is for the smooth flow of the story. The scene of Gyeoul and IkJun dialogue which ended in a question was placed at the first scene of episode 12. It allowed my mind to take off from the last scene of  episode 11 and a re-setting or re-establishment of this "conflict" in this episode. This needs to be set up because this "conflict" will be resolved in THIS episode*. It should be left "hanging" because of the huge waiting time. In fact, it actually signals the start of our waiting time. So the first scene adds up to that continuity and build-up. Without the connection of the first scene and the "confession scene", the latter will or might feel disconnected because it will need to take off from ep 11 - which is way too far. This connection also signals that this "conflict" has ended. You cannot put that flashback scene anywhere but there or the "confession scene" may be muted a little bit.**

Just my analysis. I tend to go on the scriptwriting and film editing part. I really wish that there are interviews of the director and writer on their thought process of writing and editing.

Notes:

* A"very simple" question which has little value to the story will not be put at the start only to be answered next season. It would be a waste of a scene since we already know that Gyeoul likes Jeongwon and no one is really asking why. Haha. There were a lot of "hanging" or "open" conflicts established in this episode but those questions needs more than one episode to be resolved. This scene is different.

** Imagine if you put that "love-at-first-sight" scene immediately after Gyeoul-IkJun scene, that scene can stand alone and you can remove it from the whole episode and the episode will still hold - and the "confession scene", as I said,  kinda bit disconnected from all the other scenes.

This is really insightful. I wouldn't know about Film editing and scriptwriting, so thanks for sharing this. What you said about continuity makes sense. I agree that the confession scene will end up hanging as a standalone scene with no connection with the rest of the events that happened in the ep. 

33 minutes ago, Dramageek said:

@kokodus 

It also serve as a poetic contrast to Ikjun case. Jang Winter, she decided to act on her first love, to confess. In the end, she found out that the feeling were mutual. Ikjun a long time ago choose not to confess his first love to Song Hwa, till this day he didn't know if their feeling were mutual or not. He was given second chances, and he used it, but coz it's been too long, 20 years worth, his answer will not come as easy... That's why winter-garden sailed this season, but Iksong ship must wait for another season.

Wow this is amazing. Thanks for pointing out the parallel between Jang's confession and IkJun's. 

• Like 9

Dear ShinLee, it took you long enough to cast Jo Jong Seok. To think that Jung Woo, get Reply1994 right away after You're the Best Lee Soon Shin. But I know why it took so long. U really want Jo Jong Suk play guitar in your drama, ever since you saw him in Youth Over Flower Iceland. Kudos for you both, You did it. Hospital Playlist, the band and Ikjun character was genius!

In my opinion, this Ikjun character was written in Jo Jong Suk in mind. It was also not a coincidence that the PD choose the female lead, the target of Ikjun love, from his recommendation. So if it's not too much to ask, can Jung Woo be a cameo in second season pretty please?

This is why I assume that Yo Yong Seok in HP won't be involved in another messy love triangle. If Lee didn't create his own loveline she will be reopening chilbong trauma all over again. Seeing how much Winter-Garden clip trending in naver, I think Writer Lee made the right decission. As for Jung Kyung Ho, his character was the link between wise series, from best friend to potential bro in law.

• Like 8
  • Love 7
  • Insightful 2

@DramageekIt’s very insightful to hear your thought about why the flashback of first meeting JGW was included. I always thought she started to be interested in him after the trouble about how she treated the guardian in EP.2, given that no other professors ever did that to her. But you are right that it would have been an immature reaction.  

Now with the flashback, we know she had a crush on him from the very first day.. then he reprimanded her and she continue to do the best job that she can do as a doctor. And she improved. She didn’t whine about AJW’s treatment of her to any of the other GS dads.  Her character is very admirable. You go girl!!!  Maybe we will see Chairwoman Ahn in the future instead!! Wait!! Do you change family’s name when you married? :) 

• Like 14
  • Love 4

What if in 2nd Season, Our Jang Winter outgrew her affection to him and became bored in her relationship with Dr Garden? 

Ik Jun said Gyeo Ul had this fantasy in Dr Garden. He is reminding her about his character. I bet next season is about Dr Garden conflicted feelings in tending patients and tending to girlfriend.

I heard many doctors relationship doesnt work well with people outside of hospital because doctor who cares too much abt patient didnt have time for his loved ones.

I can feel that writer makes us feel happy with the development of Winter Garden.. and then make them have a rocky start in the relationship. Yhis foreboding sense.. is it the Abuser Dad, is it relationship struggle or is it overempathize Garden will make it hard for Winter? 

What I meant is like

Imagine that

``` Gyeo Ul and JeongWon makes plan for a dinner date. They emptied out their schedule for the weekend. They have postponed the date several times already and never had the time to spend together outside hospital but instead PICU or OR. But then JeongWon had ER call and have to abandon Gyeo Ul from their date. And eventually this habit repeated again and again over time. Gyeo Ul felt not appreciated. She understood JWon love for his patients but soon struggle to find her place inside JWon heart. She will be like "Am I not important to you as well". It will be a real pain for Gyeo-ul ```

I said this, in my experience "a 1st timer in dating experience will have a hard time with her/his date if the opposite date could not make it work for both of them "

Knowing the writer-pd, they might go on the route of first time dating crisis added with mid-life dating crisis. Plus, with the character of JWon who is overthinking like that..  I never dare to. 

I can sense a foreboding danger to their relationship.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1