[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

@40somethingahjumma, as always, great post. Honestly I have no problem with Jeong Won giving up the priesthood even without, as some say, a clear reason or reasons. To me Jeong Won was more passionate about saving the lives of children than about the priesthood. I admit I can’t see what’s going on in his heart and his level of devotion to his Catholic faith but if one wants to say that they can’t see what led to his final scene with Dr. Jang, I can also say I didn’t understand his prior persistence in becoming a priest.

For example, I worked at a Catholic investment firm and there were devoted Catholics (business professionals not priests) there who went to mass every single day during their lunch hour so much so that I marvel at their level of devotion. I know Jeong Won wanted to be a priest because I’m “told” so and I see his beads and his crosses but I don’t really hear of him going to mass when he has the time or even see him doing things that convey his passion for the priesthood. I just think it was a dream for him early in life and he continued with that dream when in actuality he already found his calling saving lives at the hospital. Added to that, there’s someone special now whom he has fallen for and wants to stay by her side. I think he followed his heart in this matter and I personally don’t need an explanation of why he gave up the priesthood. If it was shown he was devout, I might have wanted an explanation.

• Like 10
  • Love 7

37 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I am sure part of the decision why he can feel at ease about staying in medicine is because he now has her by his side supporting him. He doesn't have to go at it alone. That's very clear from the last few episodes. She's not an appendage that he has to consider in his decision-making. That's why he wanted to tell her first that he was staying at Yulje. Of course she beat him to the punch by approaching the subject first. On some level it is a supervisor-subordinate relationship but on another level is much more than that. Like when Eve was made for Adam... the word is helpmate. They are a team in every way.

As expected from you, beautifully written.

Jeong Won always wanted to be a priest since he was a kid. Even after he found his calling to be a doctor.

He loves being a doctor and helps people, but being his sensitive self, he couldnt bear the burden when he fail to save a life. This kinda fuel his desire to be a priest. Now he meets Gyeoul, a partner whose seems to be tougher than Jeong Won in that aspect, Jeong Won wouldnt be so afraid anymore to face it. He, who is seen as someone who can do it all alone, dependable and someone you can rely on, now finally has someone to lean on too. He now has no reason to quit doing what he loves, since the core reason he wanted to leave, will finally resolved.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

If Songhwa says yes to Ikjun in S2, I hope it's not as easy as Jeongwon to Goeul, bc I want to see why she was so conflicted about it. (almost 3 confession now from Ikjun). I feel like Iksong is a bit different than other pairings, they first met not during present time but past, so I really want to know why Songhwa was hesitating if she does accept him. Bc of friendship? something that happened in the past - her first love? and how does she felt when Ikjun got married? bc there is a theory how Shwa avoid being alone with Ikjun when he was married, only after he divorced that they hangout only two of them again

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I went on another site (a blog) where they had flown a flag for flower garden. They are now “blaming” the WRITER!!! for their ships failure. I cannot fathom the arrogance. It’s shocking tbh. 

Fact is the blogger got it totally wrong. She  is now trying “blame” someone for her bizarre analysisof the show- trying to claw back some relevance. Bless.  But she is fried imo. She was smug last week- calling herself “psychic” and doing “that’s how it’s done”  memes - absolutely certain that FG was happening and gathering her disciples around her - (she blocks anyone who doesn’t agree with her). So now she is revealed as an bad analyst and, well,  just plain WRONG. You know, it makes me happy to see her get her comeuppance. She was so incredibly rude to anyone who wasn’t a FG (warnings, cautions, blocking). Not like soompi where all ideas are welcome (well moderated thank you).  I feel like the universe has served up a wonderful WG episode and a slice of humble pie for a B’tch of a blogger. It tastes so sweet. Thank you writer-nim. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, KDramaFan0828 said:

Yes, I felt that too! It seems like they’re comfortable sharing secrets with each other so it’s possible that Jeongwon does know the back story as well.

It just occurred to me that Jeongwon must’ve realized that Gyeoul doesn’t really have a boyfriend right??? Because if not, then that kiss would be pretty scandalous!!! :joy:

What if he already knows that flower bouquet and proposal thing was Ik Jun's doing. Gyeoul was looking at Jeong Won with feeling of guilt on her face. Andrea catches pretty fast. There must be a reason why he declared him a nutjob the very next day with a very bright smile:joy:

• LOL 11
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, Anita Fabiola said:

I have to admit that I'm happy with this entire drama & arguably HP is the best K-Drama on first half of this year. But reading those comments out there that said 'Gyeo-wool won against God' is low-key irritating me. I mean human are God's creature and putting her as if she having 'competition' against her creator is a little bit too much. Maybe that just a slip of language out of excitement and joy because this ship finally sail. But it would be really nice if they use the right choice of words :relaxed:.

Can't agree with you more.  We are human and we have given our own free will to decide. Being a priest and a father are two excellent vocations God has created. So if he is really going to be a man of God that means it is his fate but then if it goes the other way around it is also another fate for him. 

I don't wanna stress my heart with them bec I am just so happy that their love story gets to be real. I know in JeongWon's heart there is a battle that he has been fighting since he knew Gyeoul has feelings for him. 

Ohhh,  our winter-garden couple wins  finally. I love their pure and innocent kiss. The way Jeong Won tears flow is just so heartwarming. You know that he'll be a good husband and a father. 

Spoiler

Oh yeah oh yeah my PRAYERS were all HEARD!!! 

/ IkJun gets to confess to SongHwa. He is really correct. If he loses the chance there might not be another chance. Ohh,  U-Ju Appa,  you got it. 

Spoiler

IMG-20200529-141923.jpg

IMG-20200529-141923.jpg

IMG-20200529-141935.jpg

IMG-20200529-141946.jpg

IMG-20200529-141958.jpg

IMG-20200529-142013.jpg

IMG-20200529-141946.jpg

IMG-20200529-141958.jpg

IMG-20200529-142013.jpg

/ WinterGraden Couple gets real. I love how Songhwa knows her bffs and how she knows JeongWon so much. I love to the nth degree the pure and innocent love of WG couple.I love them as I love IkJun and Songhwa. :love:

/ I love that MinHa is always brave and reselient. I hope if there will be S2 SeokYeong will be able to open his heart to MinHa. 

/ I love that JunWan got the courage to send the ring. (Enlighten me, please: the box disappear. What happened?  It was returned or the box in the first place didn't have the ring.) 

/ I love that YonBok got to know who was her eomma's sem before she died. I know she'll share that to her twin brother. Another crying scene. :bawling: but very heartwarming. 

/ I love that Jae Hak and JunWan have been closer and improved their relationships. I love that Jaehak has been so diligent and learned so much from JunWan and JunWan also isn't the type that won't listen to his hoobae. 

/ I love SeokMin and Seon Bin love story is disclosed already. 

/ Surely Ahn ChiHong will be a good chief of the NeuroSurgery department. I hope he also finds his own partner in S2.

/ I love that the patients have given another life chance. :innocent:

---- I again cried hard after I knew that the liver cirrhosis patient's son is deaf and mute. Ahhh, what a pitiful situation.  The wife and the husband made a good decision for the wife not to donate her liver. 

----The faith and love of the parents of JunWan's patient is so big that I think it transcends to his son. Thanks to JunWan and JaeHak they didn't give up. 

Spoiler

IMG-20200529-135444.jpg

IMG-20200529-135502.jpg

IMG-20200529-135514.jpg

IMG-20200529-135530.jpg

IMG-20200529-135606.jpg

Less one - Jun Wan's patient. Cant see the scene. Mian. 

I am so sad for the full term pregnant woman when she knew her baby didn't have a hearbeat already. I literally bawled my eyes out with this scene. As in my eyes and noses were all giving out liquids. Mian. 

Spoiler

IMG-20200529-134556.jpg

IMG-20200529-134652.jpg

She knows the pregnant woman inside is having a hard time. 

IMG-20200529-134632.jpg

IMG-20200529-134621.jpg

Most of all I love the OST of this episode bec it is a group song. I love love love this episode. This is the final episode and it makes my heart full.  I never feel it is lacking in anything but still hoping for S2 for the progressions of every life and love story. 

Ahhh,  this is really the EnD of  S1 but the beginning of S2. Yayyy!! "

Edited by Sakurafairy
  • Like 6
  • Love 4

56 minutes ago, Ketu R said:

Even I have to admit the turnaround for andrea was a little abrupt for me. While I support winter garden wholeheartedly I felt there could have been a little more build up and more explanation. Also I would have liked to see more conversation between the two of them than just a kiss as they hardly spoke much before. While I know they will be a great couple I just wish we had been given a better start of their romance with a proper build up. 

I think they DO have more conversations in off scene, because it will be impossible for Jeongwon to let Gyeowool do her first surgery on his patient if they interactions are just "annyeong haseyo" :sweatingbullets:.

Like I said, this is writer's style to make plot jump and off-scene (subtle)  developments for the sake of surprise element, so it's understandable that some viewers felt the flow is not too smooth and a bit abrupt, because viewers only see what shown on scenes. I shared the same sentiment about Junwan-Iksun build-up romance. But since this is just a little flaw of the writing/directing, I can put it aside :).

• Like 7
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, kokodus said:

I think Ikjun is the one who is in urgent need of a cupid. LOL. Gosh I really thought after the band performance they will show him asking Songhwa for an answer. Next season better pick up where they left off, I don't want a time jump. I really think JWon might know something about IkJun's feelings for Songhwa. After all that IJ has done to help his lovelife, it is only right that JWon repay in kind by playing cupid for IJ and Songhwa. LOL. 

Right? I don't quite know what to infer from the band performance on Christmas Eve. They seemed normal with each other (like before). What did she reply? Anywho I ll take 2/4 main ships for now gladly... Also didn't expect the Soekmin-Sunbin couple, but I like them.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, KDramaFan0828 said:

Yes, I felt that too! It seems like they’re comfortable sharing secrets with each other so it’s possible that Jeongwon does know the back story as well.

It just occurred to me that Jeongwon must’ve realized that Gyeoul doesn’t really have a boyfriend right??? Because if not, then that kiss would be pretty scandalous!!! :joy:

Boyfriend or not - When has that ever stopped our former Kang Dong Joo :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

1 hour ago, milkokoa said:

there is a theory how Shwa avoid being alone with Ikjun when he was married, only after he divorced that they hangout only two of them again

I saw this theory too, and i agree. That kalguksu moment, ikjun - songhwa sat close, but they r not even talking. The topic was songhwa's ex boyfie but ikjun didnt even try to butt in, also junwan - songhwa fast eating, he also dont really mind it. 

This two, as much as i ship them, i think i kinda get it if their story would be long and complicated. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't know when you started joining discussions here but this was something I brought up weeks ago. I said similar things to what you've said. Not only do we not see him at mass but we don't see him do things like volunteer work under the umbrella of the Catholic church. So I think we are right to question the strength of his commitment to the priesthood on a practical level. This is why I've said elsewhere that it's a non-issue for me. Also as many of us have observed weeks ago, he seemed really tethered to medicine. He had back-to-back surgeries up to December. Not only that but when he was starting to run that breast cancer marathon, he went back to the hospital immediately when he got the call. He did the same thing while he was still in Kangwoon Hospital. He was about to leave one evening when one of the residents came to give him news of a patient and he ran back. it was always clear to me that his heart was in medicine. Plus the fact it took him 40 years to get his act together.

To me the priesthood is really about taking refuge. It seemed to be something he brought up with his oldest brother when things got a bit rough. His brother knew that he wasn't cut out for it. There are responsibilities in the priesthood that can be just as hard as pediatrics so as @triplem has rightly said the people around JWon knew him better than he knew himself. In essence, he was suffering an identity crisis and the priesthood was like Linus' blanket to him.

I think the spectre of the priesthood also acted as an impediment for him establishing any kind of permanent dating relationships with women. I've said this in other posts that he is at his core, a manchild. He's an attractive, charming man and lots of women want to date him. The show is at pains to tell us that. He can be friendly and not committed. But the one who catches his eye is the socially awkward, emotionless, maggot-picking Dr Long Winter. That's the irony of the entire situation. This is the reversal of a drama stereotype. 

I could tell in Episode 8 that he really liked her by the way he was walking on eggshells around her because he was a man with a dilemma. The ER flashback was part of Episode 6. So I am not really surprised that all the angst was resolved in the finale. To me it was pretty much foreshadowed in earlier episodes. All I was really worried about was the PD dragging it out to the beginning of next season. I had hoped judging from his desk calendar that the finale would give us what we want. And... God bless them... they did.

That's why ShinPD dramas are my favorite. One flashback and all the previous scenes hit differently..I watched all the Jeongwon-Jang-Ikjun scenes from ep6 onwards. Although I have always shipped them, there's a different perspective to them - why was Ikjun so confident about asking Jang to take a chance with the roses, why he told JW to be happy with her without even batting an eyelid. He had seen him run to her the day she was admitted in the ER. I didn't think it was rushed. The confession and acceptance were perfect.

• Like 21

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

From the flashback of when they first met one of the GS surgeons mentioned that Jeong-won was one of the few pediatricians in the country. According to this surgeon, JWon also purportedly did his own surgery and handled his own appointments so they told GU not to concern herself with pediatrics and stick with them. This is doubly ironic when of course she does her first surgery as lead surgeon in pediatrics under JWon's supervision and at the start of the episode he calls her immediately after Dr Bae hangs up to prepare for Ji-yeong's surgery. It shows how much he has come to rely on her when he did so much on his own previously. It explains why he might have been feeling burnout or stress and was looking to the priesthood for reprieve. Now he has her he doesn't have to do pediatrics on his own. This confirms once again (to me at least) that their romance is firmly based around work as Gyeo-ul herself says... "Stay at the hospital... Stay by my side not God's" As far as she's concerned, the personal and the professional are intimately intertwined.

Nice catch! 

Yeah. It is hard for him to handle cases alone and dealing with unfortunate patients. I just noticed that Gyeo Ul is  frequent present in PICU  and in previous episodes from 7, 9, 10 and 11.. we saw Gyeo Ul in OR room with JeongWon. He slowly grew accustomed to have her inside the OR.

Put aside her schedule in General Surgeon dept, there is a lot rotation among residence to different areas in GS. Now they have two more residents, so Gyeo Ul is open to do pediatric surgery and GS doctors didnt need to bid auction war.

It feels like anime or netflix series for the waiting time. If Nov is filming session, then we will be introduced to Season 2 around January 2021.

• Like 16
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

Waaaaa... I miss the drama already. Last night episode among the best. Sadness and happiness all in one. Tears and laughter that makes us human. I stay away from hospital as much as I can to avoid sadness but my office just beside a private well known hospital...lol. 

Hope season 2 with the same cast and continuation of season 1. 

I still insist the 5 presented their band performance in a hospital event. Either a charity or for awareness. That would be love. All the nurses, doctors, hospital workers, patient and families can swoon our love 5 best friends.. 

Now, the infection is rising in Korea, hope everybody staying safe and healthy. Are they going to include contagious disease in season 2? Hu hu.. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Binal Doshi said:

Right? I don't quite know what to infer from the band performance on Christmas Eve. They seemed normal with each other (like before). What did she reply? Anywho I ll take 2/4 main ships for now gladly... Also didn't expect the Soekmin-Sunbin couple, but I like them.

Precisely...the cut into band session scene, them behaving as if nothing has ever happened, got me kinda confused. What did she reply? Did she even reply? ??? Surely yes or no we should be able to see some kind of reaction from Ikjun? But we got nothing at all...

If i had a flaw to pick from this episode it would be this portion tbh.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 1

im watching winter garden MV, confession, and the kiss

looking back..it was truly a beautiful love story

i dont think it's a coincidence that the stoic only-one GS resident, GW, was there at Yulje,

a hospital belong to JWon' family, when at the beginning, JWon worked at Kangwon hospital

i dont think it's a coincidence that IJ (from all JWon's bestfriend) likes GW so much that he became her manager,

her cupid, her guardian, her appa & oppa at work

i dont think it's a coincidence that JWon move to Yulje right after his Dad passed away,

then met GW, then both gradually changed & grew while interacting with each other

i dont think it's a coincidence that GW have the exact opposite of JWon's character..stoic vs full of emotion

where they learn from each other and balance each other to make a great team

I feel that if this really happen in real life (and im sure it does somewhere), it was like God's way telling JWon that 

He called him to be a doctor, to grow & bless other people though his talent & knowledge of meds,

and have a family of his own...make JWon Jr, not one, maybe a few, to bless other people in their generation

because 1 JWon is not enough for the world

• Like 6
  • Love 14