[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Loved the soundtrack throwbacks in the 3rd episode.

- When Ik-jun was reminiscing about his yesteryears (Reply 88 soundtrack)

- The young parents walking into the ward (Prison Playbook theme) I LOLed at this one cos it was so unexpected!:lol:

I have a love/hate thing with this episode because it made me cry so much while a few parts made me burst out laughing. The heart op on the baby and JW imparting some wise words to the two newbie docs, as well as Ik-jun delaying the op on the kid’s dad by 10 minutes so that it wasn’t Children’s Day... these two scenes really got to me, especially the latter. 
this episode really belonged to Joonwan and Ikjun - we learned a lot more about them.

My favourite scene was the back-and-forth between JW and IJ about IJ’s sister and dog.

z531pRh.jpg

JW: Ik-sun’s still alive?

IJ: What? Why would my younger sister be dead?

JW: Wasn’t that your dog’s name?

IJ: Gae neun Micky (That’s Micky)

JW: Micky neun yeo dongsaeng. (Micky is your sister.)

IJ: Yeo dongsaeng Ik-sunie. (My sis is iksun)

JW: Ik-sunie neun gae (iksun is your dog)

IJ: Gae ga Ik-sunie (My dog’s name is iksun)

Ani, gae neun Micky (no, my dog’s name is Micky)

Micky ga Ik-sunie (micky is iksun)

Damn it, you confused me.

Adding to scene is the fact that 개 (‘gae’ - dog) and 걔 (‘gyae’ - pronoun he/she) basically sounds similar which makes the sentences 100x more confusing! (Eg. imagine all the ‘gae’ in the sentences were swapped with the English pronoun ‘she’/‘her’)

I think I watched this scene 3x and had a good laugh (hope they show us the NG takes for this!):joy:

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

I had a feeling that Captain Ahn liked SHwa but I still got surprised that he gave her the shoes :lol: Total plot twist!!!

The flashback part had me laughing bec of IJ and JWan's frosted tips! Those two are fashion killers 

Also, the heartbeat scene gave me so much feels, made me want to be a CS too :sweatingbullets:

And why must sad things happen to our lively IJ, he's been through much for a day

Anyway, another week of waiting for the next ep, looks totally exciting. I'm really curious about SHyung's story, I feel like I need to prepare tissue rolls :tears:

• Like 3

Just finished Ep.3,

Had to admit the scene writer is good, and of course the actor and actress. Every episode has everything, funny, tense, sadness, etc. 

Also, the story about IJ registered the band as comedy team made me laugh for a good minute that i need to pause LOL. 
Loving the series so far. 1,5 hours feel so fast, too bad it airs only once a week.

• Like 6

Okay — I am too emotional on this episode — one minute your laughing out loud and next minute your eyes were in pain from crying. Some things I learn:

- Dr Jang likes Dr Anh Jeong and asking help from Dr Ik Jun that’s why she chose him. Hahaha. 

- Dr Anh Jeong Won has applied for priest and will be resigning within the year. He thought Ik Jun was having an affair hahaha but he somewhat got  what Ik said. (Dr Romantic Kim).  It was said Jeong Won doesn’t get angry to his patients but he almost lost it to the mom. so by nature — Dr Anh easily loose his cool but he protects it all the time because he is Catholic but not with his friends.
- Dr Anh Jeong Won set up Dr Lee Ik Joon to his wife and new patient is his sister Lee Ik Sun (who Dr  Jun Wan recognized through the cutting of surgery). he was trying to tell Dr An Chi Yong
- Dr An Chi Yong really likes Dr Chae Song Hwa

- It will be Dr Yang Seok Hwang’s story next week

- Jun Wan is rude but somehow he quitely followed the advise of “his idiot resident” Je Hak to be a little bit humane in the end.  He was totally rude but carrying and very focus on his job/specialization. Jun Wan thought Jeong Won was the one who likes Song Hwa in the past but he see’s that he was really taking care of everyone from Ketchup to food prep and cleaning up. I died laughing that he left his bosses in the golf course and silver suit. Hahahaaha

- My i hate what’s happening with Ik Jun — first divorce, second death of his patient, third and soon his sister’s accident. 

- my gosh their voices are so good! 

- can they guest in Knowing Brothers please. This squad I love them and damn our Writer Lee nim is so good with cliff hanger! 

• Like 7

OMGGG THAT TWIST AT THE END!!!!!!! I screamed when Dr. Ahn told her about the shoes :wub:

Dr. Jang likes Jeong-won :wub: I’m so looking forward to this ship??? Love how straightforward she is.

So JWan totally lied about his decision to go into CS hahahaha but that flashback was so beautifully done. 

And of course, the Prison Playbook and Reply 88 OST sound bites hahaha. They’re maintaining this Shin Wonho Universe.

Didn’t understand the story about the brain-dead TA donor though. So, after getting surgery, he was already brain-dead and he knew about it so he signed up to be an organ donor?

I guess I really need to prepare tissue the next time around, I always end up crying.

This episode wasn’t as confusing as the first 2 to be honest haha. 

• Like 4

@dairymilks The brain-dead guy was IJ’s patient who was discharged the previous day but got into a traffic accident on Children’s day.

Same here I will prepare tissues from next episode on! Totally wasn’t prepared for this episode my goodness :tears:

The crying-laugh happened so many times to me in this episode but I’m glad this means the writing is good.

Also, this drama is making me want to find out more 90s korean music. I’m a 90s kid and the music they’ve been using so far in this drama makes me feel nostalgic too~

• Like 4

Wowwww even though we kinda guessed that the shoes could have been from Captain Ahn, i was still surprised. Hahahaha. I'm so glad that they are not going with the husband hunt. There is nothing that can destroy this beautiful friendship they have. Rest assured. 

Felt so bad for Ik Jun in this ep. He couldn't get a break. Sigh. Next ep will be even more heartbreaking I guess, his sister is in the ER, and it's a nice touch that she is a military officer. This writer loves to spread gems like this throughout the drama. The many meta references in the ep cracked me up. Hahaha. Also the avengers references...hahaha. Jun wan is the Thanos. Bahahahahahaha. Jun wan shined in this ep. I have a question though, why can't the girl cancel her wedding, if it were me I can't get married in a situation like this and without my dad by my side. Maybe they were afraid of losing money they spent on the wedding? I don't know. Wedding is once in a lifetime event, even if there were no guests I wouldnt bother, but if my parents were not there, that would be a total waste. Anyways coming back to jun wan, he showed really tender moments today. Oppa is the best, I keep saying this. Hahahaha. I don't want to pick favourites, but he has a piece of my heart, I hope he gives it back to me soon, sighhhh. 

Yoo Yoon Seok with the baby and the mother was really hilarious. Haha. That baby was really cute and so was YYS. Hahaha. Ofcourse Dr. Jang has a crush on Ahn Jung won, who can resist a guy who is good with kids. LOL. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Everyone looks the same to me here resident- wise. Is Dr Jang the smiling efficient doctor in the first few scenes in episode 2? Or the serious 3rd year resident who pulled out maggots? I can't work out if she is a good doctor or not after the way she spoke to the TA patient's mother. I can't work out why 11 GS consultants only has 1 resident.

There is another fair resident who seems to be taller than the others. Does anyone recognise the actor? He played a bad guy in another drama and the fact that I don't remember is bugging me.

I know a signature style for the PD/writer is that the is a romance or competition between the 2 male leads. That has always slightly traumatized me as I end up feeling so sorry for the 2nd male lead. I don't normally feel this way for most other dramas but it did for all 3 Reply series. I didn't like how little attention the writer paid to them in the end. I sincerely, honestly hope this doesn't happen here.

That is why when the director mentioned romance during the funeral it made me cringed. And then to have Jung Won be so involved in Song Hwa's life has made me wary. I don't see any interest in her from Ik Jun so far. Thank goodness.

I am all for romance provided the couple discover that they might have both liked each other back in med school. But it would seriously suck if a 20 year old friendship amongst 5 of them are affected if a 3 way love line develops.

They are 40 years old after. At least I think they are 40. Thanks to @alleram95 I now know they are Assoc Profs. I swear I hear them being called " Professor. " Song Hwa works too hard so I would probably prefer she enjoys life more and have a romance purely just so she isn't a workaholic. The main reason why I am disappointed that they are only Assoc Professors is the lack of power. They would be subjected to being bullied. 

I don't mind the patient stories and all other Reply series and the Prison Playbook did have a large ensemble cast and they did carried off the storyline well. But I am unsure if I feel as confident when there are so few episodes. Weren't there 2 romances in each Reply drama? So we are or should be getting 2?

YYS wouldn't have signed up for a drama where he wouldn't get the girl right? I am NOT saying this because I am shipping Song Hwa with him. I am not shipping any of the 4 men with her since I don't even know if the GS guy has a wife- since he has a kid but no visible wife. I am saying this from a traumatized viewer standpoint.

If I could predict what happens based on past writing then it will be on whoever has the most screen time with the female lead in the initial episodes. And that would make it Jung Won. But that group of doctors are kinda workaholic doctors. Hard to see them suddenly drop work hours for romance. I am not even sure any of them are good candidates to be boyfriend or girlfriend to anyone to be honest.

I am still watching but this time find the scene switching a bit fast for the series. The scene transitions have been a bit abrupt. A lot and I mean a lot of side characters. If you consider the 5 main cast. Substitute the parents in the other Reply series with the number of residents on screen it's about the same number of secondary characters. But it somehow feels as if there are too many things happening on screen for anyone to get their story in that one episode. Maybe it's because we have to add in the patient stories.

Any of the residents stand out for you guys yet? I counted about 5 residents and 2 students. But can't recall if I miss another female resident or lost another 2 male residents.

See what I mean? 

I doubt this is anything like the reply series, it feels more like Prison Playbook (more emphasis on slice of life). The reason why it feels different from reply is because of its setting in a hospital; cases are ever changing and never static unlike high school or uni.

I dont think YYS will pick a role because of his end result in the drama but rather the quality of the script and his affinity for the character he will play. 

It was mentioned in episode 2 that there are less residents in GS because of how hard that area of speciality is; it is broad and they work on a lot of emergency cases.

Watch epsiode 3, less characters are introduced and you get to know the side ones better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, dairymilks said:

OMGGG THAT TWIST AT THE END!!!!!!! I screamed when Dr. Ahn told her about the shoes :wub:

Dr. Jang likes Jeong-won :wub: I’m so looking forward to this ship??? Love how straightforward she is.

So JWan totally lied about his decision to go into CS hahahaha but that flashback was so beautifully done. 

And of course, the Prison Playbook and Reply 88 OST sound bites hahaha. They’re maintaining this Shin Wonho Universe.

Didn’t understand the story about the brain-dead TA donor though. So, after getting surgery, he was already brain-dead and he knew about it so he signed up to be an organ donor?

I guess I really need to prepare tissue the next time around, I always end up crying.

This episode wasn’t as confusing as the first 2 to be honest haha. 

Yes I absolutely loved the scene with Jun Wan and the twins - well done and inspiring. 

Hi! Just made an account because of this drama.

Can we applaud Ikjun for this episode?This guy is really whipped for his family yet that woman had the nerve to bring Ikju's son with her other man!!???!!

I really appreciated how he asked for 10 more mins so his former patient's son would still be able to celebrate Children's Day with a smile

AND FINALLY! My Gyeoul-Jeonwon ship has sailed! Being a moteo solo all my life, this resident-professor thing going on (YAS Captain Ahn likes Songhwa!) makes my heart flutter. Uwaaaa. Can I have something like this when I become a resident >_< I think many recap sites mistook the "first love" of Jeongwon from 20yrs ago as a person but I think its God/priesthood. And now that he plans to quit being a doctor, I wonder if what he thinks of Dr Jang may change everything...or not. I don't want to get my hopes high with that confrontation scene with Ikjun. I think it was just his morale speaking, not because he actually likes Dr. Jang that much....BUT STILL, THE SHIP HAS SAILED. 

For the preview...I'm looking forward for Seokhyeong's arc this time. He said in Episode 2 that he's divorced...I wonder if it's due to miscarriage? 

• Like 5

Loved today's episode, overall less confusing. 

Fave Scenes 

- Dr Jang convincing Ik Jun to set her up with Jeong Won 

- The twins scene with Jun Wan in the OR where they decided to go for CS

- Jeong Won at his patient's daughter's wedding 

I think Dr Jang picked Ik Jun's surgery in exchange for his help but I like how straight forward she is about her feelings for Jeong Won but is he interested ? Who knows

Ik Jun is really going through it from his divorce to his patient dying to his sister getting injured, life isnt really hold back with its blows for him.

It was nice to see Jeong Won at his patient's daughter's Wedding although she called him rude earlier but I think she understands he cares about her dad.

The shoes -- who would have guessed that? 

I am so surprised , so does she like him back ?

Who knows 

• Like 4

The neuro residents still looks very similar to me. The scene when Captain Ahn was questioned by Song hwa, I thought it was Dr. Yong at first. Sighhh. Also the twin boy is a Park Bo gum doppleganger, he looks like a replica of him. LOL. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Wowwww even though we kinda guessed that the shoes could have been from Captain Ahn, i was still surprised. Hahahaha. I'm so glad that they are not going with the husband hunt. There is nothing that can destroy this beautiful friendship they have. Rest assured. 

Felt so bad for Ik Jun in this ep. He couldn't get a break. Sigh. Next ep will be even more heartbreaking I guess, his sister is in the ER, and it's a nice touch that she is a military officer. This writer loves to spread gems like this throughout the drama. The many meta references in the ep cracked me up. Hahaha. Also the avengers references...hahaha. Jun wan is the Thanos. Bahahahahahaha. Jun wan shined in this ep. I have a question though, why can't the girl cancel her wedding, if it were me I can't get married in a situation like this and without my dad by my side. Maybe they were afraid of losing money they spent on the wedding? I don't know. Wedding is once in a lifetime event, even if there were no guests I wouldnt bother, but if my parents were not there, that would be a total waste. Anyways coming back to jun wan, he showed really tender moments today. Oppa is the best, I keep saying this. Hahahaha. I don't want to pick favourites, but he has a piece of my heart, I hope he gives it back to me soon, sighhhh. 

Yoo Yoon Seok with the baby and the mother was really hilarious. Haha. That baby was really cute and so was YYS. Hahaha. Ofcourse Dr. Jang has a crush on Ahn Jung won, who can resist a guy who is good with kids. LOL. 

Ok about the daughter, I lowkey hated how she cried after the dad’s surgery and his brother already kept telling her it went well. True, could have postponed her wedding though?? Haha

• Like 2

I effing love this show! It makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. 

Poor Ik-Jun. This guy cannot cut a break in episode 3. His wife wants a divorce and she is seeing another guy. His former patient dies. Now his sister is in the ER.

Wow! Quiet Dr. Jang is crushing on Jeong-Won. I love how Ik-Jun is trying to be cupid and help her. Knowing she has a crush on JW, I had to revisit episode 2. I was wondering why Ik-Jun was asking her if he should call Jeong-Won to meet her in the ER. Then I had to take another look at Dr. Jang's facial expressions when JW was reprimanding her for being too blunt with the kid's mother. It's hard enough being scolded by the attending but to be scolded by your crush.

Then we have the other resident crush...Captain Ahn liking Song-Hwa. I didn't expect him to be the gifter of her new shoes! Again I have to look at the previous episodes with a newer perspective on their interactions.

I love the running joke on the twins names. Dr. Do always calling them by famous historical Korean duos: Gyeon-u & Jik-nyeo and Jang-hwa & Hong-ryeon. Joon-wan of course has to call them by a 90's music duo...Cheol and Miae.

Dr. Do calling Joon-wan Thanos! Lol

• Like 4

Just watched Episode 3. In terms of cases and patients, the drama does keep on getting and better. I cried over Ik Jun's scenes with his patient who got discharged healthily only to come back into a tragic state. It was somehow a bit of a parallel with his life. Just when you think everything is going well and smoothly, it isn't anymore, just in one blink, as if nothing was ever fine before.  I loved Junwan's scenes too with his patients. He really is just straightforward and cold but not heartless. He kind of reminds of Captain Na (Prison Playbook character) just a bit. The moment with the med students were heart-warming too but it was really funny how life-changing it was for him then and just sly of him in the present as he uses it a method to lure students into their department now (pretty much a tactic to secure assistance). :sweatingbullets:

Ikjun's arc, personally, has quite a run. It's been an exhausting episode for him, he really didn't catch a single break. :( I wish things will get better for him in the future from now on. I loved how they portrayed him as easy-going, funny and over-all the energetic one but stays composed and calm during down lows. It was heartbreakingly amazing  of him to function given all the negative currents he was sailing on (his wife's divorce and cheating alongside the sad news about his healthy patient). I really wish everything will get better for him as things pass by.

In the aspect of romance. Hm, I can see Shin-PD taking a whole different route but can't say I wasn't surprised with Gyeoul and Captain Ahn's involvement with Jeongwon and Songhwa. Both has clearly shown interest in the episode. The question now lies on, does our two main characters feel the same way for them? Jeongwon's arc is a bit of a blur for now, no clear lines have been set yet. It would be a peculiar love triangle in between Resident Jang, Jeongwon and Divine Intervention. Lol. As for, Songhwa, I kind of feel that she only sees Captain Ahn as her resident. I can totally see her rejecting Captain Ahn (given her track with Seokhyung) as she really doesn't play around in terms of relationship but I could be wrong too. I wouldn't really count Junwan out yet as Songhwa's future partner, there are still subtle reminders that he's tied with her the most even in this episode(e.g. he knows why Songhwa chose neurosurgery and she just constantly checks on him). I really don't know where to tie Ikjun in terms of love line too just yet. With him getting divorced (and his wife being played by a low-profile, blatant cameo of an actress), he could be tied to just anyone and that includes Songhwa (he's surprisingly quite active with her,- e.g. the birthday cake, him meddling in her things,  he constantly shows up in front of her quite unexpectedly and the scene next week of her being possibly his chauffeur) and Resident Jang.

It's really hard to predict the creators of the show. As they have a clear obsession over first loves (you'd know from all his dramas), Shin-PD is all about first loves and if they don't chase that route for this run, it would be the first. He hasn't really outsourced anyone outside his main cast in terms of lovelines. I could totally see Hospital Playlist as the hybrid of Reply Series and Prison Playbook. I guess I really wouldn't settle unless they outright declare nothing really has happened in between the five friends. Shin-PD can be sly just as long it's all about attaining the chase of first loves. For all we know, it could be Jeongwon getting tied to Songhwa right at the end. :crazy:

Looking forward to Seokhyung's arc next week! I can see him with one of his residents, the one who offered him bread. Heh. Can't wait for next week!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

This episode is heavy on Ik Jun and Jun Wan. I know my favorites already. Haha. Can‘t wait for the release of OST part 3, it‘s Jo Jung Suk! Yeay!!

I love how friendships are described in these episodes. Totally love the karaoke scenes! So funny and heartwarming in the same time.

Song Hwa is not in the sporlight in this episode, but I really like her charm more, especially how she resolves and talk to her  residents. 

• Like 5

@habromanic You are right. We don't know how Jeong won and Song hwa feels about their secret admirers. And yes Shin PD has a thing for first loves, even in prison playbook it was all about first love. Jeong won atleast seemed impressed by Dr. Jang when she picked those maggots, but in case of song hwa, we can't really tell what's inside her head. I was thinking last week that whoever gave the shoes wouldn't end up with her, because it felt so much like the pink mittens from R88 for me. LOL. I might be wrong. But Captain Ahn also seem like a good guy. This PD also does noona romance well. Remember sunwoo and bora? So yeah overall I don't mind where the lovelines lead, In shin PD I trust. LOL. No matter what, he would make a love story that will make my toes curl. 

• Like 6

@kokodus  I haven't watched Reply 1988. So, I can't understand the reference. I'm sorry :tears: On the other hand, the shoes Songhwa received from Captain Ahn reminds me of the flowers given to Jiho (Krystal's character) in Prison Playbook. Shin-PD also escalated the scenes through making it seem like it was sent by male lead, Jaehyuk (Park Hae Soo's character) but it really was just from her College friend (a supporting actor whose name I forgot) who steadily liked her. It was also followed by a quick confession too right away ㅠㅠㅠ  Needless to say, he obviously didn't get the girl but we'll see. If Shin-PD breaks his pattern. Then, the tides will shift. I really don't want to get ahead of myself with the the creators.

• Like 3

Ahhhhhhh.. that twist in the end surprised the heck outta me. I would’ve never guessed.

Okay so I have two ships now. Jung Won and Dr. Jang (she was adorable when she asked Ik Joon what Jung Won thought about her. Who knew she was crushing on him). This is the first ship I saw from episode two onwards. Now Jung Won has to choose between Dr. Jang and God Himself. Who knew a love triangle would be this hard? :D

Then Captain Ahn and Seo Hwa. That twist killed me. He didn’t give a rat’s behind about the rain and came to the camping. How thoughtful; he didn’t want her to be alone. And the shoes. I hate the fact that there’s a superstition about people walking away if you gift them shoes, plus today in this episode there was this tiny bit about superstition. I’m kinda worried. At first I shipped Seon Hwa with Sung Min (her grouchy resident) but now when I look back I’ve noticed that Captain Ahn really do pay attention to Seon Hwa. And it’s adorable. :wub:

I didn’t expect to ship these couples so hard, but I do.

I’m still having hope that Jun Wan and Seon Hwa might end up, cuz I don’t know, there’s just something about them. Secret glances and all that. But let’s see. Plus Jin Wan is still my favorite doctor, I don’t like to play favorites but this guy pulled me into this drama. :w00t:

• Like 3