[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Every time I read the possibility of Ik Joon and Gyeo Ul being set up as romantic pair I wonder has not production team themselves killed that possibility for any season by calling their chemistry as father daughter one in the bts footage.

I thought they specifically did that for viewers to focus mainly on their friendship part and not take every gesture as a romantic one. For production team to do that just to mess with viewers for the twist sake does not make sense.I would want to give them more credit than that at least for now.

• Like 23
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, RWinger47 said:

About the 40 and 20 something fellas.

Be more natural and fitting for a 40-something to marry someone in the same age group, unless no one really fits the bill among his/her contemporaries. Of course this is a matter of choice and preference, and/or if the younger person is exceedingly special or extraordinary. Then, all is fair in love and war. 

Talking about commitment.... lucky are those who have remained firm and faithful to their principles, beliefs and convictions....including their first love. SeokHyung was rejected or gave up; while IkJun has married someone else.

Oh what little faith...now divorced and back to SeongHwa... like marrying by trial-and-error. Any self respecting ajumma (with pride still intact) should think twice, think thrice, think even more... no matter how truly impeccable and wise the guy is. Unless perhaps he is the only man around, whereas JeongWon has kept the faith all this time. Precisely why I am not into IK-Swa, or SH-Swa redux.  

Like the saying goes...  "Good things come to those who wait".

Oh my!! Are you saying people who are divorced should not find love again? Or is it specifically that they should not be with someone they knew before they were married? That makes them a second choice automatically? Really?

Ik joon and song hwa may or may not happen. But to say he is undeserving of her cause he was married before is a bit much.. 

• Like 18
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Dramageek said:

https://yeoniverse.wordpress.com/2020/03/17/hospital-playlists-ahn-jeong-won-yoo-yeon-seok-full-characters-description/

Rereading Andrea character description again. It was said that Andrea wanted to be priest long before his brothers did. Poor thing, brothers and sisters beat him to it.

There were two mistery/flashback that the writer haven't reveal to us yet.

1. His 20s budding romance. Flowergardener ship pretty sure it was Songhwa. The probability that it was Songhwa is high in my opinion. But we did not know if it was one sided like Seok Hyung or mutual. Did he confess like Seok Hyung or never confess like Ikjun?

2. Traumatic incident with kids (patient?) who made him give up photography and question his profession as pediatric doctor (wanna go back to priesthood).

If it was not Song Hwa, the woman he loves in his 20s probably related to case number 2. The reason why he left photography. Maybe his patient mum? Dunno.

I really hope that this two events will be revealed in the next episode.

I wonder if his 20s budding romance has anything to do with the orphanage. I mean I am almost certain that the family would have done a lot of charity during the time he was growing up, if not the family, he would have done so too. 

it strikes to me that he would likely harbour feelings for a like minded woman since he has already wanted to be come a priest. 

Could it be an orphanage volunteer? a nurse? a teacher? 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, Dramageek said:

2. Traumatic incident with kids (patient?) who made him give up photography and question his profession as pediatric doctor (wanna go back to priesthood).

I think Jeongwon start giving up his photography hobby after he move in to Yulje. Because in Ep 1, when he announced the death of his last patient (Minyoung) at Kangwon Medical Center, you can see the camera move to shoot the wall in the back of Minyoung's bedroom, and there are photos of Jeongwon celebrating Minyoung's last birthday with her mom & nurses. 

After that, we never saw him taking any pictures with his patient at Yulje. 

Maybe this is also the reason why Jeongwon decided to go faster into priesthood. He can't handle anymore the burden of guilty feeling over the death of his patients (Please correct me if I'm wrong :)).

Side note:

This is also why I prefer that If Jeongwon decide to not enter priesthood, it's because his own realization. Of course his mom and his best friends can give him the advices (like what Ikjun did), but I want him to realize by his own that he is more suitable as a doctor & it's actually his true passion. This will give the meaningful impact for his character's growth. 

• Like 7

Even though we are still minority here, I am glad that there are chingus that have the same view with me, that Hospital Playlist closer to Prison Playbook than Reply Series. I found the article that at first the drama was called Doctor Playbook. 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1328315wpp/jo-jung-suk-in-talks-for-reply-series-pd-shin-won-hos-upcoming-medical-drama

Make me think that the title change into "Hospital Playlist" quite significant. I mean it make me think that each of the song, wether played as background music or played by the band, are integral part of this drama storytelling. If you want to try looking for symbolism, clue, or anything find it in the songs playlist. That's new, in Shin PD previous drama the songs just regular OST with nostalgic feeling. That hipotesis make me revisit the drama, and try to disect why a particular song was choosen for an episode, how the band play (who was singing and who was missing), and how much the liric tie with the storyline.

Then the fact that Jo Jong Suk was casted first also interesting. He was casted in May, followed by YYS (July) and JKH (Aug). All were in a variety show in TVN Amazing Saturday, while JJS and YYS talking about their experience in musical (both play hedwig), JKH story was about him being a hopeless romantic to his girlfriend. This may be an inspiration for Shin PD to integrate musicality into the drama.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200310000896

I also stumbled upon Shin PD interview that this drama was inspired by Friend. I can't help to think that Ik Jun is Ross (single dad with boy), even though personality wise Ik Jun more of a Chandler (a chingu posted it before). Than who is Rachel? Offcourse it is Song Hwa. But looking at friend, they won't be together until the latest season, so for IJ-SH ship prepare yourself for a rocky ride. Chandler-Monica loveline are represent by Jung Hwan - Iksun (with totally different personality). Other maybe paired with someone outside the group like Phoebe and Joey. But beware at some point Joey did had something going on with Rachel (is it Seok Hyung as Joey? Or Jungwon? the personality are total oposite btw). Phoebe reference act as an inspiration, how a tonedeaf can be a band singer. It fun for me to just take Shin PD words as is, finding this drama similarity with Friend. Reffering to Reply are like opening old wound of shipwars.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4

1 hour ago, superspace said:

Swoon :wub:

This interpretation in comment section :lol:

'Its raining outside. Can't you hear the raindrops?' 'How can you not know? You turned to see.'

IkJun's way to ask 'do you hear my confession?'

'Should I open the window?'

SongHwa's way to turn 'Should I open my heart?'

8d00a52138da894e9c46a1ca76216f1e4f1dcb27

b29a930cd6bdb3f0b753a223391a91730fb051b2

Eating and having coffee together

3 minutes ago, Dramageek said:

I also stumbled upon Shin PD interview that this drama was inspired with Friend. I can help to think that Ik Jun is Ross (single dad with boy), even though personality wise Ik Jun more of a Chandler (a chingu posted it before). Than who is Rachel? Offcourse it is Song Hwa. But looking at friend, they won't be together until the latest season, so for IJ-SH ship prepare yourself for a rocky ride. Chandler-Monica loveline are represent by Jung Hwan - Iksun (with totally different personality). Other maybe paired with someone outside the group like Phoebe and Joey. But beware at some point Joey did had something going on with Rachel (is it Seok Hyung as Joey? Or Jungwon?, the personality are total oposite btw). Phoebe reference act as an inspiration, how a tonedeaf can be a band singer. It fun for me to just take Shin PD words as is, finding this drama similarity with Friend. Refering to Reply are like opening old wound of shipwars.

Saw this edit on YT

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, sakura22 said:

I wonder if his 20s budding romance has anything to do with the orphanage. I mean I am almost certain that the family would have done a lot of charity during the time he was growing up, if not the family, he would have done so too. 

it strikes to me that he would likely harbour feelings for a like minded woman since he has already wanted to be come a priest. 

Could it be an orphanage volunteer? a nurse? a teacher? 

Hmm interesting take. If you are right, I am hoping for Apink Eunji or Girls Day Hyeri or Fx Krystal as cameo. It'll be fun. Maybe he was still medical student at that time like the twin, or first year resident. Could it be his first budding romance was with an older woman (his professor?).

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, superspace said:

But the winner is .... Uju-Mone

I'm sorry Samchun and Immo, my love-line level is already eating egg drop with my mother in law B)

The safest ship sailing HAHA then writernim just won’t leave us in peace and create a love triangle between Mone-Uju-Mane :joy:

• Like 1
  • Naughty 2
  • LOL 10

I am comparing the translation for Ik-jun subtle confession towards Songhwa

for english 

What about you? What do you do for yourself? What’s a treat for you?

Eating with you and drinking coffee together

That’s the treat I give myself

for mandarin

What about you? What have you done? What have you done for yourself?

That’s what I done for myself

I wonder whether they means the same because my language interpretation somewhat feels different for the translation 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ryanallright said:

for mandarin

Thai translation is more like Mandarin and I agree with you, it feels different with English somehow..

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ryanallright said:

I am comparing the translation for Ik-jun subtle confession towards Songhwa

for english 

What about you? What do you do for yourself? What’s a treat for you?

That’s the treat I give myself

for mandarin

I wonder whether they means the same because my language interpretation somewhat feels different for the translation 

It is litterally the same. She asked "넌 위해 너한테 뭐 해 주냐고" = "you, for yourself, what did you do (give to yourself)?" and he replied "난 나한테 그거 해 줘" means that he do that stuff for him(self).

The grammar used is "해 주다" litterally means "do to give to someone (helping)" haha. So it is the same and it is up to you to like which version more :)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nhquan94 said:

It is litterally the same. She asked "넌 위해 너한테 뭐 해 주냐고" = "you, for yourself, what did you do (give to yourself)?" and he replied "난 나한테 그거 해 줘" means that he do that stuff for him(self).

The grammar used is "해 주다" litterally means "do to give to someone (helping)" haha. So it is the same and it is up to you to like which version more :)

Thanks for your explanation.

Anyway anyone know the title of the song that was played after Ik-jun subtle confession and Songhwa stared at him before looking away

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ryanallright said:

Thanks for your explanation.

Anyway anyone know the title of the song that was played after Ik-jun subtle confession and Songhwa stared at him before looking away

It is Beautiful My Love by Urban Zakapa

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RWinger47 said:

I was talking about SeongHwa's situation where she will become a replacement... like a spare tire.

If you are wholeheartedly fine... to take part in your 20-year-friend's marital and social experiment into marrying by trial-and-error, then kudos to you. Perhaps you will break the jinx, and not become another error.  But, I was saying think, think, think before diving into it headfirst.

What the ??? 

This mentality is insulting and dangerous. SHy and IJ didn't treat marriage as an experiment. They have loved and lost. They didn't get married with a vision of possibly getting divorced. And SHw being compared to a spare tire is already upsetting so nope. 

I hope our members who are single parents or second wives do not take your comment to heart. When we ship fictional characters, may we maintain a respectful attitude and an open mind. The words we write here do not directly affect these characters or the future story line. But they do affect our readers. We have members and guests coming from diverse backgrounds. Please be more considerate and stop using ad hominem just to prove a point. Peace out.

• Like 18
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

44 minutes ago, jeijei said:

What the ??? 

This mentality is insulting and dangerous. SHy and IJ didn't treat marriage as an experiment. They have loved and lost. They didn't get married with a vision of possibly getting divorced. And SHw being compared to a spare tire is already upsetting so nope. 

I hope our members who are single parents or second wives do not take your comment to heart. When we ship fictional characters, may we maintain a respectful attitude and an open mind. The words we write here do not directly affect these characters or the future story line. But they do affect our readers. We have members and guests coming from diverse backgrounds. Please be more considerate and stop using ad hominem just to prove a point. Peace out.

Exactly.. Marriage experiment??? Like really?? 

Ij and song hwa getting together after years of friendship and various failed relationships is not that uncommon among lifelong friends. 

Song hwa had relationships too. She hasnt exactly been single for 20 years. Is marriage the big difference? If song hwa had been married and divorced too would that be ok for her to get with ik joon then? 

What in the world? Just because Andrea is a virgin he is the most deserving of the girl? That type of thinking is not just archaic but dangerous.

The topic of who is more deserving of a women itself is silly. 

• Like 23