[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Episode 10 was good, it primarily focused on mothers (with Seok-hyeong's patient, Rosa, Seok-hyeong Mother, Song-hwa being somewhat of a mother to Uju (sob my Chi-Hong)) and had a ton of funny moments, (my favorite part is the Prison Playbook Reference by Officer Na and when the ost started to play I lost it).

BUT LETS TALK ABOUT HOW THIS EPISODE INJURED MY HEART, RIPPED MY SOUL, TORE MY FLESH, AND LEFT ME SCARRED. 

I might have to accept the fate of my Chi-Hong Song-hwa train but hey at least we are having a Chi-Hong focused episode next week or so I think so. But really, I had so much hope for the opening scene only to find out they were gonna eat as a team and Chi-Hong sudden comments about having a relationship with his coworkers and Song-Hwa agreeing that it is good (fanadsf my heart breaks) and then we cut to Uju having a fever, at first I didn't recognize Song-hwa (I was watching on 360p or 480 I dont know it was so pixelated I thought it was Ik-sun) while she was sleeping beside Uju but damn when they had breakfast together and Ik-jun telling her what he does for himself (I lost it at this part as I started cursing the writer and realized that I was headed for the Chilbongie wreck train all over again, why?). 

Kidding aside, I loved how finally the the female doctor confessed to Seok-hyeong and seeing him all flustered was so cute.

P.S. I don't hate Ik-jun, I love him and especially his son Uju so cute, also he was also really funny in the Wangshimi Station Scene I was laughing real hard I stan! (although not for Song-hwa UGHH!! haha just joking)

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

ha ha.. fact that IJ, SHwa know about his headaches means it is common knowledge. And if doctors are not worried about headaches, mere mortals should keep quiet :)

Seeing this tweet made me think that JWon is “sick” or constantly having headaches because he is confused with what he wants and is having trouble really following his heart (wherever it may be). What he said to Songhwa might be his subconscious talking to himself.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

All characters are lovely in this drama. Of course, the Fab 5 are given. Different levels of maturity and skills (professionally and with people). I’m a Jang Gyeo-ul supporter but I also appreciate Chu Minah. I have a soft spot for Chi Hong (especially), Jae Hak and Seok Min. Uju is such a charmer. Jung So and Rosa are great additions. Ik Sun is funny. Everyone are co-existing happily, dealing with life’s ups and downs.

It’s not Song Wah. You got it all wrong, Mum” - Jeong Won. Rosa reacted happily, assuming he is seeing someone. “It was a slip of the tongue.” - Jeong Won. No, that’s your heart talking (cough, cough Jang Gyeo-ul :D)

**Jeong Won won’t be able to go to Italy, COVID -19 pandemic is looming :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 14

On 5/13/2020 at 4:15 PM, JJS's Fan-atics said:

"ikjun has been neglecting uju."

"ikjun is childish. he's wrong about everything. he's stupid."

ikjun keeps on singing for the band. others should sing too."

PD n Chaka-nim give us answer to all this complaint in episode 10. LOLOLOL :lol::lol:
1. Ik-Jun neglecting U-ju
IJ on a date with U-Ju that shows how close their relationship as father and son. they show us, how single daddy take care of his sick son, when he needs to have work-life balance. 
2. Ik-Jun stupid
He proves he's the smart one who can bring all the money for the hospital foundation. With his skills, he makes a big figure trust in him n choose to get surgery in Yulje, that big figure promises to give a donation too. N he also effectively did surgery to help others surgery with how fast he did surgery.
3. Ik-Jun keep on singing
We got Jung-Won to sing a song for the band's performance in this episode.

A really good job has been done by our PD-Nim n Chaka-Nim. :):)

@Ketu R WOW :D:D you're a cider. you ask all questions I want to ask to flower garden shipper. You're more eloquent talker than me, I'm scared I pick a wrong word n will make ship war when I ask them. I'm really curious too. Lately, I feel like I ate too much goguma when I read their post. LOLOLOL :lol::lol:

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

Hi! 여러분 안녕하세요! I've been following this forum for a long time, although this is my first post/reply.

I just found something interesting. The background music we get in our intro is eerily similar to David Ohana's "Start Again". (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the song that was used)

We've seen in the past 10 episodes that music does play a large role in the narrative. Does this choice of song for the introduction mean that 'starting again' is a main topic/point in our series? If that was true, it would solidify Ik Jun & Song Hwa as the endgame (yay!). 

Also, episode 10 was my favorite! Those domestic scenes between Ik Jun and Song Hwa were so heartwarming! The other ships made significant progress as well! 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Ketu R said:

If song hwa was Andrea's crush and/or vice versa why have they never got together till now? Why would he even consider becoming a priest when he has loved a women for 20 years. Why would he even apply knowing the women he loves is right there in front of him waiting?? What possible reason can both of them have for not even hinting at romance till now? 

Waiting for writer to reveal that.  He’s the one who seems to have waited?  I think Bong said (and IJ too) that they’ve never seen him with a girl?  Was she waiting?  She’s dated on and off.  In med school, according to Bong, she dated a senior for 3-4 years at the end of freshman year?  Who was she crushing on when she refused SH?  So something happened there?  Before she decided to move on and date the senior?  Writer hasn’t told us that story in full.  And we know she’s been “dating” recently - last one was Prof Jang who cheated on her?  Not sure how long that was going on for?  So I am patiently waiting for writer to tell us that story.  But she’s single now and has been for a bit.  It could be the right time now.  Who knows?  I trust this writer to give us a story that gels with her world view.  She has revealed so much of what she holds dear as “truths” in her past works.  That won’t change.  Art is a means whereby you reveal your core beliefs and values.  It stays constant across your works.  I believe some here have already picked up on what she likes through her past works, be it first love, waiting, timing.  I haven’t really watched any of her past works in full so I have been reading and picking up pointers from people who have (thank you all for sharing your experiences) to work out what she’s been trying to tell us. 

And I agree with some here who feel that Andrea’s reason for entering priesthood is that he’s running away from something.  Could that be his crush of 20years?   That he’s had enough waiting all this time and just wants to end the pain by closing that door of marriage altogether?  Again, don’t know.  Waiting for writer to reveal that to me.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Waiting for writer to reveal that.  He’s the one who seems to have waited?  I think Bong said (and IJ too) that they’ve never seen him with a girl?  Was she waiting?  She’s dated on and off.  In med school, according to Bong, she dated a senior for 3-4 years at the end of freshman year?  Who was she crushing on when she refused SH?  So something happened there?  Before she decided to move on and date the senior?  Writer hasn’t told us that story in full.  And we know she’s been “dating” recently - last one was Prof Jang who cheated on her?  Not sure how long that was going on for?  So I am patiently waiting for writer to tell us that story.  But she’s single now and has been for a bit.  It could be the right time now.  Who knows?  I trust this writer to give us a story that gels with her world view.  She has revealed so much of what she holds dear as “truths” in her past works.  That won’t change.  Art is a means whereby you reveal your core beliefs and values.  It stays constant across your works.  I believe some here have already picked up on what she likes through her past works, be it first love, waiting, timing.  I haven’t really watched any of her past works in full so I have been reading and picking up pointers from people who have (thank you all for sharing your experiences) to work out what she’s been trying to tell us. 

And I agree with some here who feel that Andrea’s reason for entering priesthood is that he’s running away from something.  Could that be his crush of 20years?   That he’s had enough waiting all this time and just wants to end the pain by closing that door of marriage altogether?  Again, don’t know.  Waiting for writer to reveal that to me.

Ok but what convinced you that it is them who are each others first crushes. No longing looks no close up shots. Song hwa left the lonely night performance to meet up the gang following ik joon and joon wan so assuming her interest is one of those two seems logical. 

The canon performance she literally swooned looking at ik joon playing guitar. Ik joon and joon wan met her even before others and iksong had a moment with the scrunchie first time. It was obvious he was admiring her. To me she was flustered but maybe am projecting. But why would they build up such a strong arc just to reveal her crush was someone else. Just to troll us? That doesnt seem like the writers choice. 

This writer usually has a specific moment in which a character falls on love, in 97 when he saw her first time without glasses, in 94 when she was comforted by oppa in bed, in 88 it was the beach scene for her. For this I have a feeling it was the scrunchie and the guitar scene that established a moment of love. Maybe the writer can show such a moment for Andrea too. But wouldn't that just be twist for the sake of it right now.

To lovingly build up a couple just to break it. Yes I know jungpal was like that but it always kind of seemed like taek was a close contender from the second episode itself. Here I see nothing.

Also flowergarden would mean so much heartbreak all around, just for the sake of the twist. Why would writer try to portray such horrible heartbreaks to lovely characters of ik joon and gyo wool both of whom seem to be beautifully sketched. I am specifically upset that ik joon after giving so much to others and never showing his sorrow to others is never considered as a truly viable option for song hwa. It's like people dismiss him as the class clown. He is so much more than that. 

• Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

This episode was has climbed on top of my favourite list. I was missing my weekly dose of U-Ju, super happy that I finally got it.

Firstly Ik Jun and U-Ju are a hoot. The minutes they are on screen together are my favorite minutes regardless of anything. Love love how cheeky U-Ju is when he wants more food from his father. I Lol'd when he slipped into Sageuk speech with IJ. Boy surely has been taking after his father. (Side Note- i wish Netflix subtitles conveyed such things better, i know it's difficult to translate the syntax, semantics and intricacies of a language in a way that's understood by all, but they probably should figure a way like adding notes or references, since sometimes these things do add or change a lot of meaning)

About Ik-Song-Chi triangle, I was honestly on fence whether I should hop on this triangular loveline or no since unlike other lovelines this one is sure to break my heart one way or other, but this episode finally had me hop on one ship! (Heartbreaks be damned!!)

I am officially ON Ik Jun-Song Hwa pair. From this episode I've realized that IkSong are two people who balance each other, Ik Jun is like an overflowing burst of energy and Song Hwa is like a calm concentrated force. Ik Jun seems like he's all over the place (not in a bad way though) and Song Hwa is like an anchor. They're not really Yin-Yang per say but more like two people who complement each other to learn and grow. Like Ik Jun tutoring her to eat slowly or like Song Hwa nagging him on multiple things. (Noticed that we have many more scenes or these two eating together and spending more time together, don't know if there's any meaning to it or are just thrown in to detract viewers).

I am rooting for them because I also think that they'd make a beautiful family, in the last scene with Song Hwa and U-Ju, i think all the actions and expressions exhibited a motherly feeling from SH towards UJ right from hearing how Song Hwa ran over to look over U-Ju and being a little panicked when his fever didn't go down to her being all cuddle sleeping with UJ. The look on IJ’s face mirrored my expression (shooting red hearts over the eyes)

When I was watching previous episodes, I almost believed that these two might miss their chance and timing again, but glad to be proven wrong, glad Ik Jun stepped up and confessed albeit even in indirect words, it was still heart fluttering. (Seriously what's up with the men of this drama, making me swoon left right center over their actions and confessions)

Now coming to Song Hwa’s reaction, not sure what her reaction implies (going to make a few assumptions though) But what's for sure is that she was dazed and flustered to the point of being unaware of her surroundings momentarily. I think it's different from previous two confessions she has received. She had politely but firmly rejected those two confessions. But for this one it's almost like she pretended that “their moment” never happened. My assumptions for it are:(purely my views and assumptions)

• Optimistic scenario- Ik Jun’s crush in their 20s was probably not one sided, but however they never had their chance or timing was off for them. Now if this is true, imagine that her once unrequited love suddenly professes indirectly his love and happiness to her, one would surely be bummed because she'd be hesitant to get her hopes up again or because in the present there's a lot more on line for things to go haywire if they were to pursue the relationship. Or something else that is to do with her inner dilemma.

• Pessimistic scenario- obvious one, she has no inkling of his feeling, and obviously does not return it in that way, doesn't wish to encourage it further and hence pretends it didn't happen. Or she may actually have started developing feelings for Ahn Chi Hong and hence no place in her heart for IJ as a man.

For Chi Hong, if i see it from perspective of neutral viewer, he too seems to have a fair chance with Song Hwa. Though Song Hwa rejected him initially he isn't really deterred from persuing her and she too has been a little more responsive (?) to him in general. She seems to has eased up quite a lot towards him, but what I am not too sure about is, if it's as a mentor/senior or as a woman. But i am not going to let my guard down and make myself believe that they're not happening. One can never know until explicitly told.

Regardless of whether Ik Jun and Song Hwa get together or no (I'd love it if they did) what they have in the present, their friendship and relationship is too precious and surreal to be lost over anything else.

I honestly don't think this triangular equation is going to flesh out completely in this season itself. I'm almost convinced that a foundation is being laid for the next season.

• Like 12
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, Ketu R said:

Song hwa left the lonely night performance to meet up the gang following ik joon and joon wan so assuming her interest is one of those two seems logical. 

Then why was she the last to enter the shed?  After SH and Andrea?  There’s something missing in that story.  Had she just followed IJ and JWan out which is what they showed us, she should’ve been the 3rd person into the shed.  Andrea and SH left later after the 3 of them left.  What was she doing all that time in between?  There’s something missing in that narrative.

I have nothing to prove that they are each other’s first crushes part from the character descriptions.  Both had some “love” in their 20s.  So I am waiting for writer to reveal if my assumption is correct.

5 minutes ago, Ketu R said:

The canon performance she literally swooned looking at ik joon playing guitar.

I swooned too. IJ is lead guitar.  His personality is one where everyone falls in love with him.  He’s very easy to love.  He’s friendly, funny, gets along with everyone, positive.  I would wager he would have heaps of girls after him in med school and also into his working life.  Which is why I initially thought IJ was her first crush.  He’s the most natural choice?  But I have changed my viewpoint because someone mentioned here that this writer is big on the First Love trope.  So if IJ was her first love, then everything in the story now should be telling me they would end up together.  But thus far, they’re conversations don’t tell me that.  IJ pretty much confessed to her yeah?  At his apartment?  He told her having dinner with her was his treat.  That was his confession.  He could see a life with her together.  And so could I.  That apartment scene with UJu was just lovely.  But what was her response?  She turned her face away and changed the subject.  And IJ picked up on that and started talking about rain.  She left the table and walked away.  That’s not someone who is keen to say yes to the confession?  She didn’t mirror a response.  She didn’t even say yes I like having dinner with you too?  So I am waiting for writer to give me mirror responses if she wants the 2 of them to end up together.  Now contrast the SHwa/Andrea conversation. It’s mirrored.  She says, “Let’s get married” (I am not sure subs are right here?).  He stops in his tracks.  Then she adds, find a good woman, get married and have kids.  Now listen to his response.  He mirrors her talk and says, “you get married. You love kids too”.  That’s a mirrored response.  They have been mirrors since Ep1.  Andrea calls out GU for insensitivity towards the mother with her CPR comment.  SHwa calls out Yong for being insensitive to a patient in the same episode.  Even in this episode, Andrea is altruistic (called impressive by SHwa when she finds out about DLL).  SHwa is called out as being other-centered by the residents who tell her to “run for office” because she didn’t make any materialistic wishes.  That’s how I see it anyway.  I don’t expect people to see it the same way.  I don’t mind being wrong.  If writer proves me wrong then so be it.  It’s her work after all.  I am merely a spectator.

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, rafeusjanela said:

We've seen in the past 10 episodes that music does play a large role in the narrative. Does this choice of song for the introduction mean that 'starting again' is a main topic/point in our series? If that was true, it would solidify Ik Jun & Song Hwa as the endgame (yay!). 

Wow I listened to the song and it does sound similar so I think your theory is highly possible :D. Ofcourse, fingers crossed this applies to Iksong hahaha but I can also see how a new start may apply to all of them. I’ve read somewhere that the band practice venue which was untouched for a long time and was used again in ep 1 symbolizes starting again as well.

Building on music as instrument to narrative, I’m hoping to see even our residents performing as well as a number of them are also theater performers. Seeing how they are giving them their own chance to shine like Jaehak, Minha, and Chihong, I’m hoping this is possible in the next seasons.

Anyway sharing one of the OSTs released which seems like a sad song of longing for someone. This makes me nervous for our characters. Especially for Junwan and Iksun given their situation. :tears:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

30 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Then why was she the last to enter the shed?  After SH and Andrea?  There’s something missing in that story.  Had she just followed IJ and JWan out which is what they showed us, she should’ve been the 3rd person into the shed.  Andrea and SH left later after the 3 of them left.  What was she doing all that time in between?  There’s something missing in that narrative.

I have nothing to prove that they are each other’s first crushes part from the character descriptions.  Both had some “love” in their 20s.  So I am waiting for writer to reveal if my assumption is correct.

I swooned too. IJ is lead guitar.  His personality is one where everyone falls in love with him.  He’s very easy to love.  He’s friendly, funny, gets along with everyone, positive.  I would wager he would have heaps of girls after him in med school and also into his working life.  Which is why I initially thought IJ was her first crush.  He’s the most natural choice?  But I have changed my viewpoint because someone mentioned here that this writer is big on the First Love trope.  So if IJ was her first love, then everything in the story now should be telling me they would end up together.  But thus far, they’re conversations don’t tell me that.  IJ pretty much confessed to her yeah?  At his apartment?  He told her having dinner with her was his treat.  That was his confession.  He could see a life with her together.  And so could I.  That apartment scene with UJu was just lovely.  But what was her response?  She turned her face away and changed the subject.  And IJ picked up on that and started talking about rain.  She left the table and walked away.  That’s not someone who is keen to say yes to the confession?  She didn’t mirror a response.  She didn’t even say yes I like having dinner with you too?  So I am waiting for writer to give me mirror responses if she wants the 2 of them to end up together.  Now contrast the SHwa/Andrea conversation. It’s mirrored.  She says, “Let’s get married” (I am not sure subs are right here?).  He stops in his tracks.  Then she adds, find a good woman, get married and have kids.  Now listen to his response.  He mirrors her talk and says, “you get married. You love kids too”.  That’s a mirrored response.  They have been mirrors since Ep1.  Andrea calls out GU for insensitivity towards the mother with her CPR comment.  SHwa calls out Yong for being insensitive to a patient in the same episode.  Even in this episode, Andrea is altruistic (called impressive by SHwa when she finds out about DLL).  SHwa is called out as being other-centered by the residents who tell her to “run for office” because she didn’t make any materialistic wishes.  That’s how I see it anyway.  I don’t expect people to see it the same way.  I don’t mind being wrong.  If writer proves me wrong then so be it.  It’s her work after all.  I am merely a spectator.

She turned away flustered. He literally rendered her speechless. She dint even notice the rain. She dint brush him off, she just said eat in a sort of broken voice cause she was so happy. Maybe that is my shipper hearts projection. She has out right rejected two proposals so far. Never being the one to shy away from direct rejection she could have just told him to cut it out. But instead she turned but never noticed the rain and when he said it was raining ran to the window opened it and smiled. If you had just turned down a friend you consider dear would you smile at the rain which clearly has some significance for both of them.

Again I have to bring in reply 94 here trash oppa s reaction to go ara s proposal was silence too. Not coz he dint like her but coz he had ti think made a lot of people angry that he dragged his feet out. But a sudden confession from a friend who you may like back would not be to jump up in joy and kiss them right. It would be shock. She went on working alongside him after that if she had turned him down at least in her mind would she not be more awkward around him..

About mirroring I just think they are both great doctors who may have similar personalities but nowhere it is shown they are each others crushes. She just told him to marry and be happy maybe subs wrong but that dint seem to be a big deal to her. Especially considering how flustered she looked around ik joons confession. I love both of them but they seem too mellow for each other. Not to mention the fact that they have never shown any inkling of romance. Nor is it shown they are meant to be. Not even longing gazes after 10 episodes?? One scene where she asks him to help her and she walks in front and he walks behind her carrying her package like a sibling would do. Iksong hwa almost always walk together like a couple, they sit together or opposite each other during dinners. Evenin a mundane scene they have their own moments..  Why would they have so many romantic scenes together just to break ik joons heart?

But again maybe am reading it all wrong and you are al right but to me a flower garden pairing right now would just be a shock for the sake of twist. Not to mention lazy writing to have never shown their scenes before. 

• Like 9
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, standingtallyy said:

**Jeong Won won’t be able to go to Italy, COVID -19 pandemic is looming :D

Btw it cross my mind that writer Lee need to rewrite script of season 2 because of Covid19. Espescially the fact that SK handling it so well compared to other country. I wonder what will happen to Iksun - UK storyline. My nephew who study in UK was forced to go home just before london lockdown.

• Like 4

@nenmem16 Please see spoiler below for further details haha.

Spoiler

Sorry, I don't exactly remember, but I'm pretty sure this was happened early on. Junghwan was reading a lewd novel and then tried to hide it when Dukseon came in. Dukseon caught him in the act and tried to snatch it away from him. Hehe.

• Like 1