[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

For Netflix Asia, they have just released eps 1 ( so same day release with Korea.)..off to watch! It is 1 hour and 22 minutes:w00t:

The drama and Dr Song Hwa ( Jeon Mi Do ) are trending on Naver!

There were several previews for eps 2 but this is the complete one :D

Gosh this one episode a week format is gonna KILL me... Such a great pilot episode that introduced us to the main characters. Got a bit confused with the exposition dump on the hospital/board stuff but other than that, thoroughly enjoyed the rest!

Favourite bits:

Spoiler

When YYS’s character was talking to his priest bro in the chicken shop LOL you could kinda see it coming with the yearly flashbacks but it was still funny to see it unravel.

And the band practice - the guys’ reactions to her singing :lol: Can’t wait to see more of the whole gang together!

I love that there are always so many recurring actors in this director’s works. It’s like a game you can try to identify which character(s) the actor/actress played in his previous works lol.

Curious to see the ratings but seeing the trends posted by @triplem it should be solid:rolleyes:

• Like 10

On 3/11/2020 at 1:07 AM, miracle23 said:

I went to YYS musical last Jan. I am really impressed by his vocal.

Wow, awesome.  Lucky.  No comment on how pretty YYS was there. LOL

Just saw only 1/2 way.  1:22 is the Netflix length, so is def more than 1 hour long.  

Coming off watching Romantic Dr Kim 2, I would say HL is less procedural and more human interest driven.  A good mix of quirky humor and intricately woven character set up so far.  Pacing is really good.  The storytelling here is good.  Reminds me a lot of an old TV series called ER with an ensemble cast.  The writing here def has potential for multiseason format.  

Spoiler

That said, the introduction scene of Seok-Hyeong and Song-Hwa... no no no.  She didn't even break a sweat, didn't smudge her makeup, nor was she short of breath after 2 min of CPR.  Her belt was still perfectly cinched around her jacket :lol: Song-Hwa so far appears perfect visually on screen, that's unreal.  I do love the socially awkward personality that of Seok-Hyeong.  I can understand why he chose to be an OB/GYN.   His love for his mom (mothers in general) is just too much.  HAHAHA.  Well, helicoptering parents. take note.  This is the adult your child would grow into if you don't allow him to be independent and problem solve on his own! :lol:  Not only are his social skills lacking, he has a problem connecting with people outside of his comfort zone.  The ambulance scene got me in stitches. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020] Hospital Playlist/Wise Doctor Life, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Thursdays @ 21:00 KST
1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

That said, the introduction scene of Seok-Hyeong and Song-Hwa... no no no.  She didn't even break a sweat, didn't smudge her makeup, nor was she short of breath after 2 min of CPR.  Her belt was still perfectly cinched around her jacket :lol:

Spoken like one who’s been there done that. :lol: Will try to catch up today some time if I get the chance. 

• LOL 3

Mannn.. This drama is better than I expected. As expected when you ask Reply's director to helm a medical drama. It becomes soooo nice to watch!

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

I was just dreading that hospital board scene, but it was wayyyy different than I expected. Loved all the plot twists too! And it's just episode 1!!!! And the friendship?? Mannn.. I wished I had a group of friend like that... <3 <3 Because of that, I know that Song Hwa will be just fine even though she got betrayed by her boyfriend. Her 4 besties will definitely be there for her. :) 

Now.... What am I going to do for the next week?!?!?! :bawling:

• Like 5

@nrllee Finished the episode while eating lunch!

Very good first episode.  Hilarious! Excellent chemistry among the cast. Like with their previous dramas,  the show runners remind us to take time and leave an open mind when it comes to understanding others. Each person has a back story.  The first episode does its introduction then dives a little into YYS's character, so think this will be the trend.  Episode 2 focuses on Song-Hwan from the preview.

A few thoughts.

Spoiler
  • Jeong-Won's chaebol family actually kinda shunts power, money and fame.  All 4 siblings gave up earthly possession and desires (except the eldest who can't suppress his love for wine for food!!!).  None wants the fortune and the succession to the company!   HAHAHA.  JW too wants to be a priest but is pressured every year to continue his profession for the family sake.  His oldest brother, whom he confided in, looks forward to the free chicken date every year from his psychological breakdowns.  :lol:
  • I absolutely love that Jeong-Won (aka Andrea ... why the alias even in his family?!) prefers to use his money in anonymity.  With power come responsibilities.  Shrewd that he recognizes where his charity fund can be sourced, better that he helped his friends out financially.  Great that Jung-Wan is still in the dark about the charity entity too.
  • We have a parent in the group: Ik-Jun.  I'm glad our fun character is a father, his son is lucky.  The Darth Vader scene is the best character introduction device ever. LOL
  • Aww at Seok-Hyung's only contract stipulation.  A band.  You can tell his motivations are very personal so he already has the trademarks of an upright physician unfazed by politics and wealth HAHA.  He needs his pose back together again.  LOL at Jung Wan's request for inkpad at the mention of $.  
  • Chairman Ju, the pediatric pt's mom (Yeom Hye-Ran YAY) -  misunderstood by their brusque actions.  It's more than once we can't judge people based on just one interaction or without knowing the burden they carried inside.  Kindness is never overlooked and will be appreciated in due time, at the most unexpected time.
  • Precious are the friendships and relationships we built over the years.  These are the people who really know who we were and understand who we become or what our needs are, even for something as simple as a home cooked meals.

This needs to be 2x week show!

• Like 8
  • Love 3

The rating hit the jackpot!!

PD shin won ho said that he want to be realistic and ask for 4% debut rating.....

They got 6.325% !!!! ( thats higher than CLOY/Hi Bye Mama Debut rating ) 

For a Debut rating thats really high and also not to forget that 1/3 of their run is coming with Mister trot ( which had 34% rating for cable tv ) 

AMAZING START For this amazing drama!!!

Lets go!! 

Ofcourse PD Shin Won Ho love his combination of 5 friends just like Reply series. And considering the ensemble cast and 1 episode per week this would create big hype every week hopefully it can reach double digit soon. 

Right now we got another big breakthrough for another actress. First we got kim da mi hitting bit and now i bet Jeon mi do will also hit big with this drama

• Like 6
  • Love 1

@im0202 Yes drama had a solid premiere rating 

Spoiler

Enjoyed the 1st episode but I hv to say Prison Playbook still has the edge where the storytelling & suspense are concerned. While PD’s trademark twists are still there , I think it was a bit more predictable perhaps because I already expect it to be a twist :lol:! Anyhow this is just the 1st eps & I appreciate that the story focuses a lot more on  the feelings & emotions of medical staff as opposed to being a procedural one . Usually all the medical stuff just flies by me whenever I watch medical dramas .  Also it’s not as heavy as Life , so this is great light watching 

I wasn’t quite expecting Prof Ahn ( YYS ) to be the kind chaebol heir of the hospital who is the figure behind the Daddy Long Legs program. It was hilarious that all his siblings had chosen a life of celibacy & religious calling .I bet older brother (priest)  not only wants him to stay on to continue the father’s legacy but they must also need someone to continue the family line :lol:

Spoiler

Oh the other twist was the fact that Kim Gab Soo’s character, the new Chairman is a good guy -  I was half expecting him to be the bad guy here because he was the main villain in both seasons of Chief of Staff & was excellent as one . 

Some other observations 

1. Jun Ik (JKH ) is the more anal one . Excellent at his job but not a good judge of women . :joy:
2. kim Dae Myung’s Dr Yang is mummy’s boy ! 
3 . Surprised that Jo Jung Suk’s character is a dad . I laughed my head off when he had to wear the head gear to operate . Hope to see more of him in later eps 

Spoiler

4. The rose among the thorns Dr Song Hwa ( JMD) is the anchor of the group .

I know now why they call this hospital playlist - the 5 literally set up a band at Dr Yang’s insistence . And i can imagine every week we’ll be treated or maybe “tortured” with a song !

ahhh wish this wasn’t just once a week 

Jeon Mi Do is a musical actress.  I saw her in Sweeney Todd with Jo Seung Woo.  She was absolutely stunning, and it was the best musical I ever saw when visiting Seoul.  Both her and Jo Seung Woo were captivating in their roles.   It's funny that she's playing tone deaf.  She has an amazing voice and presence on stage. I was like.. I've seen this lady before.. but where???  I remember googling her after the performance, because i know very few korean musical actresses that weren't former kpop idols.  So she definitely left a mark on me back then.  So glad she's trying out tv, and has the opp to act with these loveable guys! I'm hooked!:blush:

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

OSEN | 2020. 03. 12. 8:00 PM

"Hospital Playist": Yoo Yeon Seok gives up director position to form VIP doctor group with close friends

56AFAE1A-AB74-43CD-A124-931D4BBA8CF3.jpg

In the first episode of "Hospital Playlist", 5 friends from Seoul Medical University Yoo Yeon Seok, Jo Jung Suk, Kim Dae Myung, Jung Kyung Ho and Jeon Mi Do formed a doctor team responsible for the VIP wards of Yulje Hospital.

The new drama "Hospital Playlist" (tvN/ Scriptwriter: Lee Woo Jung/ Director: Shin Won Ho) airs its first episode on the evening of March 12, showing the process of Ahn Jung Won (played by Yoo Yeon Seok) - the doctor came from a tycoon family - becoming the heir of Yulje Group and succeeded his father as the chairman after his death. However, he has no ambition for the power of the hospital director. Therefore, after ceding that position to Joo Jeon (played by Kim Kap Soo), he decided to focus on the hospital's VIP area.

Then, Jung Won also asked his medical classmates at Seoul University including Ik Joon (played by Jo Jung Suk), Joon Wan (played by Jung Kyung Ho), Suk Hyung (played by Kim Dae Myung), and Song Hwa (played by Jeon Mi Do) to form a group of doctors in the VIP area of Yulje hospital. The group recalled the university memories and even decided to form a band.

Earlier, chairman Ahn Byung Woo of Yulje Group and also Jung Won's father fell into a coma due to acute brain hemorrhage. Despite being taken to the surgery room of Yulje Hospital, he still couldn't recover. Afterward, Jung Won was chosen as his father's successor among 4 brothers and sisters who became priests and nuns.

Jung Won is not a cold, selfish doctor, on the contrary, he has a warm heart and selflessness. After young patients he has taken care of for 1, 2 or even 3 years passed away, he confided in tears with the big brother (played by Sung Dong II), "I won't be a doctor anymore." At that time, Jung Won's brother appeased him, "Just hold on for another year". Whenever he sobers up, Jung Won returns to his daily life and fulfills his duties as nothing has ever happened.

However, when his child patient this year also passed away, Jung Won choked up saying, "Though others feel everything no longer matters over time, I don't see that way. I didn't shed any tears when our father departed his life, but when Min Hyung's mother told me that 'Thank you so much for the past time', feelings and mood that I have never experienced in my life came to me."

The hospital's top medical team tried their best, but eventually, Jung Won's father still passed away. Then, when choosing the youngest son as the heir to the group, Jung Won's mother (played by Kim Hae Sook) explained, "He is the kindest person and most obedient child." However, she could not override the wish of her son, who had always avoided the director chair.

Jung Won decided to become a doctor dedicated to the VIP wards. Thus, he told his fellow friends at the department, "I will pay you twice your current salary" and asked them to serve as doctors for the VIP wards of Yulje Hospital. Ik Joon, Joon Wan, Song Hwa said, "I know" and agreed on the employment contracts given by him. However, Suk Hyung temporarily delayed his decision and explained, "I have to stay with my mom more". What Suk Hyung needs is not a high salary or generous reward but the band. Jung Won accepted his request and decided to form a band in the doctor team for the hospital's VIP wards.

Ik Joon and Joon Wan both come from Changwon and they are high school friends. Meanwhile, the two Seoul doctors Jung Won and Suk Hyung were classmates from elementary school to secondary school, both also passed Seoul University. The 4 students of course 99 met Song Hwa on a field trip and started to build a close friendship together.

OSEN = Reporter Kim Bora purplish@osen.co.kr
Photo = Screenshot of "Hospital Playlist" broadcast
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 6

I should have known these all along after watching Reply Series and Prison Playlist — my emotions should be intact watching first episode but I now on the crazies state of my mind — one minute I am giggling, another minute I am crying, another minute I am so tense because I thought of hospital politics again only to find out Mr Jung is totally a loving husband, another minute I felt sorry for baby Min Yeong, another minute I am dying of laughter when the other doctors curious about the four children of why they can’t inherit it and many more in just 75minutes of the full drama.

The casts are ensembles of the best of the best leads and supports so totally satisfied how they act so beautifully to make that scene so beautifully done. I don’t know how the casting director did and let agreed to put these actors all together.

But I guess right that Jung Won is loaded because Dr Kang of Kim Sabu is not loaded (hahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha;  my only basis because he is friends with PDNim) and he is “Andrea” and I am dying to know more how will he use his “power”   I’m totally hook! 

Next episode will be Song Hwa’s story. 

@Helena — the report you just posted is not a report but a review of the whole episode. The reporter is hooked to it also! Hahahaha

• Like 5
  • Love 1

As expected, pretty awesome first episode! It reminded me a little bit of Grey’s Anatomy. It had funny/quirky moments that made me laugh, but serious doctor/patient moments that made cry as well.

My impression of the five friends:

Jeong Won Not sure if it’s because the first episode focused mostly on him and/or because he lost his father, but I already feel a soft spot for him. He has such a kind/charitable heart - and he's emotional. I almost lost it when his child patient passed away. The confessional scene was so heartbreaking. It was touching how he spoke about Min Yeong to the Father (who turned out to be his brother - I should have known!).

I thought it was interesting how out of all of the siblings, he was the only one who immediately hugged and comforted his mother. He must be the child who has a special bond/relationship with her. Perhaps that is another reason why I like him. I respected that the mother didn’t force him to be the chairman. Hopefully, by the end of the story, he will find peace in what he wants to do in life.

Last, it was funny that his older brothers are the dads from the Reply series. His relationship with his eldest one is adorable. I thought it was kind of sweet that his brother was willing to listen (and eat) through his drunken moments over and over.

Joon Won He seems to come across as a a bit of a jerk at work, but you can tell he also has a kind heart underneath by how helped the patient's mom get finance for the surgery and how he treats his friends. It was hilarious when he found out about Jeong Won's family background -  how he was upset that Jeong Won's actually filthy rich yet he’s been mooching off of him all this time. Haha.

Song Hwa She is just pure sweetness. I love her! She showed so much kindness to the lady with the ill son and mother. I like that she's the only girl of the five friends. It was sort of ironic that it was the guys who found her burp disgusting. And her singing... Haha.

Seok Hyeong Well…I still don’t know what to think of him yet, but it was funny when he turned turned down all of the monetary/office perks and that his only one condition was the band with his friends. Awww... Regarding his mama’s boy tendencies, I feel like there must be an underlying reason why he is this way. I think we'll know more when we get to his story.

Ik Jun He is going to be so much fun! He is so adorable with his son. Does it seem like he a single father? I thought it was a little odd that he took his son to work. Anyhow, I loved how the friends helped look after his son while he was on duty.

I can't wait for next week!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, 1bin said:

Jeon Mi Do is a musical actress.  I saw her in Sweeney Todd with Jo Seung Woo.  She was absolutely stunning, and it was the best musical I ever saw when visiting Seoul.  Both her and Jo Seung Woo were captivating in their roles.   It's funny that she's playing tone deaf.  She has an amazing voice and presence on stage. I was like.. I've seen this lady before.. but where???  I remember googling her after the performance, because i know very few korean musical actresses that weren't former kpop idols.  So she definitely left a mark on me back then.  So glad she's trying out tv, and has the opp to act with these loveable guys! I'm hooked!:blush:

Aha I knew there will be more to it, maybe she will turn into a brilliant singer later on.

3 hours ago, ryanallright said:

Jeong-won family scene is so funny when the chief of hospital intro the four of his siblings 

All of them are serving only one 'boss' 

Yah that part cracked me up too hahaha

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

Ik Jun He is going to be so much fun! He is so adorable with his son. Does it seem like he a single father? I thought it was a little odd that he took his son to work. Anyhow, I loved how the friends helped look after his son while he was on duty.

He didn’t go to work but he was seeking help that his head has light saber helmet; because his son put a super glue and he want it remove in that hospital. However, he’s a specialize doctor who happened to be at the same time there’s a need for surgery. He had a special permission by Song Hwa to do surgery because by law he was not supposedly doing a surgery in a hospital does he does not work except if he was invited.  But after Chairman’s death Joon Won offered him a position. 

Today, its the third time I watched the episode and practically dying of laughing. Also, I cannot believe Dr Joon Won actually said to his omma “TMI” hhahahahaha — too much information because the mom’s telling — I married for convenience; it was a loveless marriage but I am happy on my own way. Hhahahahahhaha

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

This drama delivered for me as expected.  Heartwarming and gut wrenching one minute and rip snorting hilarious the next.  I love all the characters.  The band...had me in stitches.  Yes Jeon MiDo can sing in real life.  Beautifully.  And it looks like PD took on this cast because they can all play musical instruments.  YYS is rocking it on the drums.  And a female bass guitarist/vocalist is just too cool.  Seok Hyeong is the glue that keeps them all together...he values their camaraderie and friendship above all...even if the bunch of them seem to write him off as a mummy’s boy and seem to hold him in little regard.

Great start.  Can’t wait for next week. :)

• Like 5
  • Love 4