[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

I don't think it's a coincidence that Ik-jun says to him... "You look like you've seen an angel." The wording is instructive. Why not "ghost"? The religious connotations are significant considering who it is directed to so my feeling is that JW sees her as someone that is out of reach for him. He is dazzled, mesmerized but fearful. She's Pandora's Box for him.

rewatch ep 8 I keep remembering why not ghost as you said @40somethingahjumma I keep thinking he didn’t get Also started here because he know she will be worried and would be waiting outside, the way he said calmly everything alright , have good day different than his friend . I feel like he cares deep down rather than what other think . 

15885510291588551019.gif

15885512081588551203.gif

.. glad to see you are back posting, I like reading them :)

• Like 6
  • Love 5

I was only making stuff up because I felt deja vu. But I just remembered that Ik Jun also shows up from the door right after Jeong Won (Looking at the previous gif by @Ameera Ali). Precisely, at this point, I started to believe Shin-PD intentionally want to make Jeong Won and Jung Hwan parallel to each other. Since both of them (Ik Jun & Sun Woo) are only friends to the girl, appeared right after their best-friend, more startled and had a similar shock style. Omg, ugh.. please no.

tp5NCFE.png

LhumUL4.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, grodelwl said:

OMG I didn't realize it :blink: so the guy who dropped Gyeoul on the next ep is rly Ikjun?

No, I don’t think it is Ik Jun. The car and the jacket is different tho. From the collar and the enginee hood design of the car. 

• Like 4

@Kaizen68you wanna make us cry lol.

On twitter, someone compared the car and it didn't look like Ik Jun's car.

z4jQkNB.gifhA5OqST.gif

Credit gif: estelle-sim (tumblr)

This wintergarden preview is weird. It's the evening. Someone dropped her at the hospital. Why didn't she go inside ? Guess I've to wait for thursday and see what this is all about.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

Wahhhh after reading about the possibility of JW got Jungpal-ed, I was wondering how many times already YYS's character lost his love interest haha. He was Chilbong, was lost to his friend in Toy's Three People MV, was killed after having an affair with his wife's friend in Love Lies, was Dongmae-ed...and now. :sweatingbullets:

I also was curious of why the so-called GW's date just glancing at JW and GW respectively. If he really was her date who was set up by Minha, I think he should've been more cheerful and polite, I meant first impression was  important no? He picked up his date anyway and it was an arranged one lol. If he didn't knew better he would just think that JW's is GW's senior (well it's actually true) thus the politeness was needed.

Thursday pls comes faster, so fast that my working days would also pass sooner!

• Like 6
  • LOL 6

1 hour ago, babyolala said:

Wahhhh after reading about the possibility of JW got Jungpal-ed, I was wondering how many times already YYS's character lost his love interest haha. He was Chilbong, was lost to his friend in Toy's Three People MV, was killed after having an affair with his wife's friend in Love Lies, was Dongmae-ed...and now. :sweatingbullets:

I don't know, but somehow I find it is interesting. We are only in the first season of multi-season drama. Any scenario can happen. Let say it is true that he will be JungPal-ed. And it is Yoo Yeon Suk! He was Chilbong, and his character in HP is parallel with Jung Hwan in Reply 1988. So he was Chilbong-ed and JungPal-ed (all-kill in one person), but somehow, we believe he will get the girl in the end, right? At least, I think that way. So it's like hitting two birds with one stone (For viewers to facing the familiar heart-breaks before we get a happy ending, in the mind of Shin-PD). And maybe that's why YYS among the priority cast after JJS.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Fairy said:

Yes,  it does, friend @KDramaFan0828 .. i found it in igtv

:) enjoy it.. 

Wahhhh THANK YOU CHINGU!!! :heart:

I’ve been watching behind-the-scenes videos and interviews to pick-up some clues and to survive until Thursday. This waiting game is killing me HAHAHA :lol:

This is one of my favorite interviews. Especially in the earlier part of the video, each character defines what the other characters are to them and I think it’s very telling of their relationships! ;)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, Kaizen68 said:

I don't know, but somehow it is interesting. We are only in the first season of multi-season drama. And it is Yoo Yeon Suk, he was Chilbong, and his character in HP is parallel with Jung Hwan in Reply 1988. So he was Chilbong-ed and JungPal-ed, but somehow, we believe he will get the girl in the end, right? At least, I believe that. So it's like hitting two birds with one stone 'to overcome the trauma' (in the mind of Shin-PD). And maybe that's why YYS cast first right after Jo Jung Suk. 

@Kaizen68

I can not see him a priest even after 100 HP seasons.

He will take the girl at the end.

Question is which girl?

The one in my wintergarden ship? or the other ? Sorry I am not sure for the name they have .

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, babyolala said:

I also was curious of why the so-called GW's date just glancing at JW and GW respectively. If he really was her date who was set up by Minha, I think he should've been more cheerful and polite, I meant first impression was  important no? He picked up his date anyway and it was an arranged one lol. If he didn't knew better he would just think that JW's is GW's senior (well it's actually true) thus the politeness was needed.

Plot twist: it wasn't her date but an acquaintance. True, her blind date wasn't cheerful and Gyeo wool just got into a stranger's car without even greeting him. It doesn't fit. Strangely, we didn't see the photo Min-ah showed her.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, kiklaminHo said:

I can not see him a priest even after 100 HP seasons.

He will take the girl at the end.

Question is which girl?

The one in my wintergarden ship? or the other ? Sorry I am not sure for the name they have .

Me too, I can't see him being a priest. And I don't know, but somehow I believe, if they cast the same actors for next seasons, our HP squad will end up with the current main pairings (include Jeong Won & Gyeo-ul). For now I will assume the end is simple (I don't want to think complicated for the end). But the road to get there will be full of detours, ups and downs. But it is understandable since the casts too have a common concern, like all of us. And we will only find out the answer later. 

PaSFUtv.png

• Like 7

@Kaizen68

btw if i remember correctly movie "Mood of the Day" is one that you will appreciate and will have a different ending for YYS.

He looks great with Moon Chae Won .If you did not watch it its time to see it now while waiting for Thursday to come.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kiklaminHo said:

@Kaizen68

btw if i remember correctly movie "Mood of the Day" is one that you will appreciate and will have a different ending for YYS.

He looks great with Moon Chae Won .If you did not watch it its time to see it now while waiting for Thursday to come.

Thanks, chingu for the recommendation. I haven't watched it but somehow has interested since a long time, sure I will check that one.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your overwhelming interest in my posts yesterday. It is truly overwhelming. I don't often watch popular dramas so the kind of response I'm getting is making me emotional. I'm primarily a crime fiction buff although I love medical dramas.

I can't stress enough that everything I've written so far about the WinterGarden dynamic is just my perspective based on observations of the drama. I don't want to needlessly raise any false hopes but I can't help but be sucked in by what the writer is doing with those two. I can't entirely discount the fact that Jeong-won could head off for seminary although looking at his trajectory right now, I have many and serious doubts about that. From the early days of this drama I have always believed that his place is in medicine, regardless of what he thinks he wants for himself. Deep down I think he senses that too because he has been putting it off for so long.  

Although I agree that romance is not the main thing of this drama, it is still a very important part of it. 

At this point I feel we need to make a distinction between romance as the endgame and romance as a vehicle. I would say that although romance is important here, it isn't the endgame of the show. That is to say that who ends up with whom in the show is not the primary focus of the drama. (I know for some of you that's the reason why you're watching this)  But for me and I daresay for the drama, romance is a vehicle for character revelations and development. So romance is a means not the end. It's the car that takes us to a destination that the storytelling wants to go. This was a lot more obvious in a show like Moon Lovers/Scarlet Heart Ryu when the female lead was embroiled in a reverse harem. Each of the men in her life took her to a particular place that she needed to be at a certain time until she went back to her own time. Each protected her in their own way until it was time to go.

For me the hospital and the running of it is the end -- the destination so to speak. It always has been. But for the hospital to be an ongoing concern it needs people to be in it and it needs people to run it. More importantly, a hospital needs the right sort of people to make it work. People who care, people who aren't necessarily perfect but are learning to be better medicos at all levels. Even the professors have lessons to learn as well. So to be a good doctor isn't just about having smarts (I think that's the point Seok Hwan was making to Min-ha), it's also about heart. Those two things need to go together. 

Unlike what I've heard over the years, I am a strong believer that what a person is in private or what they do in their private life has a large impact on how they are at work. If your private life is a complete shemozzle, it's hard to function at optimum. Some people can do it but I think the majority struggle. I am a teacher of adults and I can tell you that with a great deal of certainty. I don't get the best out of students who have a ton of baggage at home or have mental health issues. And we saw that too with Jae-hak... he wasn't performing well at work because of he was carrying around so much baggage from his personal life. He's not a machine that you can just push the right buttons or turn off and on. It was stupid to criticise the patient in front of a family member but he was obviously not in the right frame of mind to be dealing with stuff like that.

I believe this is what the show wants to explore. Yes, it's true that good training is crucial. But ultimately it's people who become doctors, nurses and allied health workers. If people have the right attitude and intentions, if they are teachable and willing to take responsibility for their own mistakes, they can go further even if they lack talent. I don't think the world necessarily needs super doctors (although they have their place)... it needs competent and caring ones. This is why Jun-wan's arc is so special to me personally. Not just because it's JKH. Because his trajectory is probably the most complete of all of the Five. He's talented no doubt but his life lacked focus as seen in his dating patterns. The moment he found a woman he really liked and wants to settle down with, he realises life isn't all fun and games and someone has to step up to the gravity of the CS chief position and how important it is to have the right person holding that position. We all know the other guy, Dr Cheon isn't it. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. 

I've noticed this too when I was teaching a particular cohort of students from a particular country. There was a huge difference between the men who were married and those who weren't in terms of stability and maturity. This is certainly more true for men than for women. That's why our ancestors always preferred older married men to take on leadership roles. There is something about being married and having children that forces people to grow up and take responsibility.

Taking responsibility is always a big deal. It means you have to consider the bigger picture not just what you personally prefer. That's why the guy who has the title of "director" gets paid the big bucks and ages quickly. ;) So much rests on his shoulders in terms of decision making. Yulje Medical Centre is blessed to have two such good men running the show. But they are both older men and there needs to be others who can step up to the plate to ensure that Yulje survives beyond the next few years. The chairman seems to have a lot of health problems lately so someone will have to take over sooner rather than later.

I have a suspicion that this is what the WinterGarden dynamic is partly about. I don't know for certain but it's a suspicion that I've had for a while. At the very least WinterGarden is a journey... not necessarily the destination. Again, it's only a shot in the dark based on what I've seen so far. But I think the Catholic side of Jeong-won is absolutely key in understanding this dynamic. Very very important. Afterall he has a little statue of Mary on his desk. 

Back to romance... :D So yes, things like love and marriage are important in a drama because they are integral to character development. In and of themselves they're good fun... I love a good romance as much as the next person... but it's what they do in the storytelling of the characters that the magic really begins. A good romance takes us on a journey where two people grow together, change together and bringing out the best and worst in each other. At least the best ones do. The growth is what makes the romance engaging... to me at least. ;) 

• Like 5
  • Love 13
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, LovelyLady said:

@Kaizen68you wanna make us cry lol.

On twitter, someone compared the car and it didn't look like Ik Jun's car.

Credit gif: estelle-sim (tumblr)

This wintergarden preview is weird. It's the evening. Someone dropped her at the hospital. Why didn't she go inside ? Guess I've to wait for thursday and see what this is all about.

Also its not a black car :D a new blind date set up again by Bff Minah. Maybe just maybe her family car :tounge_wink:

I also find it weird you, probably Dr. Ahn call her name then he went blank again don't know what to say. This time DR. Jang should give him cold shoulder first

• Like 5