[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

As the opening suggests, this week’s focus is on the patients.

Spoiler

51270907487_73eaf41aba_o.png

51271834063_7de341d604_o.png

The commonality among all these cases is that they illustrate the relationships between parents and their children. The violinist’s mother may be rude af, but at the end of the day, she is just a mother who wants the best for her daughter. The best neurosurgeon, the best treatment, the best chances at recovery. Just like Eunji and Minchan’s mothers. But I’m not sure if both their children, who have been placed on VAD, will pull through safely. I have a bad feeling about this.

Then, we have the alcoholic father who took his daughters’ livers for granted. It was a stark contrast to the pregnant mother who risked her life and tried her best to save her baby. It really broke my heart when the baby died.

"Bad things at times happen to good people."

I think this is something we all need to hear, especially during this pandemic where many people have lost their loved ones and their livelihoods, and are struggling to stay afloat. It's like a marathon, and we're all marathon runners. We may not be able to see the finish line yet, slowly but surely, we'll get there. 

Lastly, we have the boy who refused to let Jeongwon remove the stitches, and his parents who couldn’t understand his aversion to pain. Fortunately for them, his cancer days are over, they can finally see the rainbow now.

51270907517_79930ea719_o.png

The sun is setting

Spoiler

51271653931_f0827851ff_o.png

In Front of the Post Office in Autumn

All the beautiful things in the world

How long will they last?

Like the flowers that withstood the summer rain showers

And the trees that withstood the snowstorm last winter

Can everything under the sky stand alone?

One autumn day

While waiting for you in front of the post office

I got carried away by my thoughts

And didn’t even realize the sun was setting

I didn’t even realize the sun was setting

I think this week’s song is very poetic. In the hospital context, it talks about how life is fragile and pain is temporary.

More importantly, this is a song for Seokhyung. To tell him no one should live alone. Autumn is when the days get shorter and the sun sets earlier. It's a timely reminder that the sun is setting on him. Life is short and he shouldn’t waste his time. And “Autumn” also refers to Minha.

Spring = Iksun; Summer = Songhwa; Autumn = Minha; Winter = Gyeoul (old post here)

Headcanon: If every ep is one month, we can probably expect Iksong endgame to happen in ep 8/9 (Summer: July/August) and Gomgom in ep 10-12 (Autumn: September-November)

Iksong breadcrumbs

Ikjun has been driving a Benz since s1. Songhwa bought a new Benz in s2. Shall we call them the Benz couple?

Ikjun’s car plate number is 5435. Song number 5435 in KY karaoke system is Lee Moon Sae’s The Cult of Solo. It talks about a man who is leaving to find his love, and one day, his love will appear in front of him. Just like how Ikjun has left his failed marriage behind, and is waiting for Songhwa to come to him.

Oh I'm tired now, please find my love

She's the only one that will make my heart stop

If you beckon me, the sky and the clouds

I have no doubt that one day you will kneel before me

I hate myself too, I'm leaving to find my mate

Where is she going to take responsibility for my life?

Please beckon her to hold me all night

I have no doubt that one day you will appear by my side

I have no doubt that you will appear in front of me

Spoiler

Songhwa’s car plate number is 1814. Song number 1814 in TJ karaoke system is Lee Moon Sae’s Sunflower. Both songs were released in the same album, this can’t be a coincidence! This song talks about a man trying to forget a sad love, but he still misses her, and thinking of her still makes him smile. Songhwa may have forgotten about her first love, but Ikjun remains the only one who keeps making her smile and laugh.

(The lyrics doesn’t really make sense cause they were Google translated.)

I know I haven't forgotten those memories

When I saw a picture full of sunflowers, I smiled at the thought of you

It's all gone too far so I can forget the sad love

When I see myself chased after all the years, thinking of you makes me smile

In those years of living like that, when I woke up, I missed you

You nodded at my shabby lies

Your sad voice, the world loves you

It's all gone so I can forget the sad love

When I see myself being chased through the years, thinking of you makes me smile

Spoiler

I read a comment on YouTube saying Ikjun probably bought two cups of coffee to drink with Songhwa. Caffeinated for her, decaf for him. But he saw her sleeping in the office, so he left the coffee on her car instead.

Just like how Gyeoul probably ordered an extra cup of coffee for Jeongwon. During their dinner date, he poured warm water for her, but not for himself. At the cafe, Junwan asked, "Aren't you cold?" and Jeongwon answered no. So, my guess is, the Iced Americano was for Jeongwon. Moreover, he ordered coffee for all the nurses in PICU, but not for himself. He must have known Gyeoul was buying coffee for him, and he came down to see her.

Songhwa probably recognised Ikjun's handwriting because he has a unique way of writing exclamation marks, ever since 1999 (under spoiler).

Spoiler

51273244947_91ab12af99_o.png

In ep 2, it’s even more obvious now that Iksong should be managing DLL together in the future. Given her condition, Songhwa wouldn’t be able to handle DLL alone when she returns to Seoul. Jeongwon said he should’ve asked Ikjun instead.

And now Ikjun knows Songhwa is the new DLL. He has been worried about Songhwa’s health and taking care of her secretly. He got the coffee for her, and he probably asked Seokmin to assist Songhwa's op. I think he’ll find a way to help her sooner or later.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, __jesse said:

As the opening suggests, this week’s focus is on the patients.

The commonality among all these cases is that they illustrate the relationships between parents and their children. The violinist’s mother may be rude af, but at the end of the day, she is just a mother who wants the best for her daughter. The best neurosurgeon, the best treatment, the best chances at recovery. Just like Eunji and Minchan’s mothers. But I’m not sure if both their children, who have been placed on VAD, will pull through safely. I have a bad feeling about this.

Then, we have the alcoholic father who took his daughters’ livers for granted. It was a stark contrast to the pregnant mother who risked her life and tried her best to save her baby. It really broke my heart when the baby died.

"Bad things at times happen to good people."

I think this is something we all need to hear, especially during this pandemic where many people have lost their loved ones and their livelihoods, and are struggling to stay afloat. It's like a marathon, and we're all marathon runners. We may not be able to see the finish line yet, slowly but surely, we'll get there. 

Lastly, we have the boy who refused to let Jeongwon remove the stitches, and his parents who couldn’t understand his aversion to pain. Fortunately for them, his cancer days are over, they can finally see the rainbow now.

The sun is setting

In Front of the Post Office in Autumn

All the beautiful things in the world

How long will they last?

Like the flowers that withstood the summer rain showers

And the trees that withstood the snowstorm last winter

Can everything under the sky stand alone?

One autumn day

While waiting for you in front of the post office

I got carried away by my thoughts

And didn’t even realize the sun was setting

I didn’t even realize the sun was setting

I think this week’s song is very poetic. In the hospital context, it talks about how life is fragile and pain is temporary.

More importantly, this is a song for Seokhyung. To tell him no one should live alone. Autumn is when the days get shorter and the sun sets earlier. It's a timely reminder that the sun is setting on him. Life is short and he shouldn’t waste his time. And “Autumn” also refers to Minha.

Spring = Iksun; Summer = Songhwa; Autumn = Minha; Winter = Gyeoul (old post here)

Headcanon: If every ep is one month, we can probably expect Iksong endgame to happen in ep 8/9 (Summer: July/August) and Gomgom in ep 10-12 (Autumn: September-November)

Iksong breadcrumbs

Ikjun has been driving a Benz since s1. Songhwa bought a new Benz in s2. Shall we call them the Benz couple?

Ikjun’s car plate number is 5435. Song number 5435 in KY karaoke system is Lee Moon Sae’s The Cult of Solo. It talks about a man who is leaving to find his love, and one day, his love will appear in front of him. Just like how Ikjun has left his failed marriage behind, and is waiting for Songhwa to come to him.

Oh I'm tired now, please find my love

She's the only one that will make my heart stop

If you beckon me, the sky and the clouds

I have no doubt that one day you will kneel before me

I hate myself too, I'm leaving to find my mate

Where is she going to take responsibility for my life?

Please beckon her to hold me all night

I have no doubt that one day you will appear by my side

I have no doubt that you will appear in front of me

Songhwa’s car plate number is 1814. Song number 1814 in TJ karaoke system is Lee Moon Sae’s Sunflower. Both songs were released in the same album, this can’t be a coincidence! This song talks about a man trying to forget a sad love, but he still misses her, and thinking of her still makes him smile. Songhwa may have forgotten about her first love, but Ikjun remains the only one who keeps making her smile and laugh.

(The lyrics doesn’t really make sense cause they were Google translated.)

I know I haven't forgotten those memories

When I saw a picture full of sunflowers, I smiled at the thought of you

It's all gone too far so I can forget the sad love

When I see myself chased after all the years, thinking of you makes me smile

In those years of living like that, when I woke up, I missed you

You nodded at my shabby lies

Your sad voice, the world loves you

It's all gone so I can forget the sad love

When I see myself being chased through the years, thinking of you makes me smile

I read a comment on YouTube saying Ikjun probably bought two cups of coffee to drink with Songhwa. Caffeinated for her, decaf for him. But he saw her sleeping in the office, so he left the coffee on her car instead.

Just like how Gyeoul probably ordered an extra cup of coffee for Jeongwon. During their dinner date, he poured warm water for her, but not for himself. At the cafe, Junwan asked, "Aren't you cold?" and Jeongwon answered no. So, my guess is, the Iced Americano was for Jeongwon. Moreover, he ordered coffee for all the nurses in PICU, but not for himself. He must have known Gyeoul was buying coffee for him, and he came down to see her.

Songhwa probably recognised Ikjun's handwriting because he has a unique way of writing exclamation marks, ever since 1999 (under spoiler).

In ep 2, it’s even more obvious now that Iksong should be managing DLL together in the future. Given her condition, Songhwa wouldn’t be able to handle DLL alone when she returns to Seoul. Jeongwon said he should’ve asked Ikjun instead.

And now Ikjun knows Songhwa is the new DLL. He has been worried about Songhwa’s health and taking care of her secretly. He got the coffee for her, and he probably asked Seokmin to assist Songhwa's op. I think he’ll find a way to help her sooner or later.

Whoaa nice

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote images or video. thanks!
  • Like 3

Watch: “Hospital Playlist 2” Cast Excitedly Reunites + Celebrates Kim Dae Myung’s Birthday During 1st Filming For Season 2

22569b0e6a6a4cb9baabca1136b6afd4.jpeg?s=

Jun 27, 2021
by S. Cho

tvN has given viewers a glimpse of the first filming for “Hospital Playlist 2”!

“Hospital Playlist” stars Jo Jung SukJung Kyung HoYoo Yeon SeokJeon Mi Do, and Kim Dae Myung as five doctors who first met in medical school and have been friends ever since.

In the new video, all five actors are asked what they’ve been up to, and they explain that they’ve hanging out and practicing in their band. Jung Kyung Ho adds with a laugh, “I think I was just waiting for Season 2.”

Kim Dae Myung is the first of the five to film a scene, and both Jung Kyung Ho and Jeon Mi Do visit the set to cheer him on, reminding them of the first season, where the trio were also the first to film. Ahn Eun Jin later announces to the camera that she’s been working really hard on something before proceeding to teach Kim Dae Myung various ways to make hearts.

For Kim Dae Myung’s birthday, Jeon Mi Do secretly prepares a cake before all the cast and crew join in to sing “Happy Birthday.”

Later in the clip, Yoo Yeon Seok is rehearsing a cute entrance scene with a child actress when he jokingly comments, “Cute stuff is the hardest for me because I’ve lived my life as such a macho guy.” The directors asks that he warn him before he begins, and Yoo Yeon Seok jokes, “Director, just press record and then look away.” Another staff member jokingly adds, “Someone get him a barf bag.”

Regarding the second season, Jo Jung Suk shares, “I predict that I’ll be able to work on this while feeling more relaxed and less pressured than I have with any other project before. That’s why [I think] I may be able to do better.”

Jung Kyung Ho comments, “I think we were all waiting [for Season 2] just as much as the viewers were. I wanted to quickly get my script and quickly get back to the band. One thing for sure is that when I saw the script, I personally thought that there were more special stories than there were in Season 1.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1476810wpp/watch-hospital-playlist-2-cast-excitedly-reunites-celebrates-kim-dae-myungs-birthday-during-1st-filming-for-season-2

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

I'm pretty sure somebody already mentioned about this but something just popped in my mind after re-watching the 1st episode of season 2. 

I remembered reading about Ahn Jeongwon's headache which wasn't shown just once but at least 3 times in the first season. I am just hoping that his character was just feeling tired or too dehydrated or just overworked but after watching Season 2 episode 1, I can feel some sort of foreshadowing. Probably just me but I could not get it out of my mind.

When Andrea was talking to that child who had liver transplant, he said "You will live longer than me." 

Those words are kind of obvious (when we think an average lifespan is around 80-90 years and they stay healthy most of the time) when you are talking to somebody way younger than you such as a child. But his words are bothering me.

I know the producer did mention it will be a light hearted drama but he wouldn't put those scenes for no reason.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, triplesung said:

When Andrea was talking to that child who had liver transplant, he said "You will live longer than me." 

I saw this also in some twt and articles in my country, but I don't want to dwell into it much, mainly because WG is my fave ship, and I would be heartbroken if anything happen to them.

When I first saw that scene, my thought was simply that Jeongwon tried to console the little girl without having to lie to her. He didn't know how long she will live, but in common sense, a little girl would probably outlive a 40 yo man.

In eps 2, he console a patient mom, saying that he will stay to change her son's stitches, even when her son already graduates from highschool (eventhough I'm not sure a highschool graduate would see a pediatrician to change his stitches ;;^^).

Remember when Yeon-u's mom often come to the hospital and we're afraid she might want to prosecute the hospital because of malpractice? It turns out she just want to be remembered/called as Yeon-u's mom (I cried during this scene T_T)

So I hope it's just Jeongwon's way to concole his patient, not a foreshadowing to something dramatic that's so not like HP..

• Like 5

3 hours ago, triplesung said:

I remembered reading about Ahn Jeongwon's headache which wasn't shown just once but at least 3 times in the first season. I am just hoping that his character was just feeling tired or too dehydrated or just overworked but after watching Season 2 episode 1, I can feel some sort of foreshadowing. Probably just me but I could not get it out of my mind.

We've discussed this before in season 1. I think Jeongwon's headaches in season 1 was caused by psychological stress. Pressure from his mom to get married and stay by her side, his own passion as a doctor, his growing feelings for Gyeoul, and his decision to become a priest.

He didn't have headaches anymore after deciding to stay. So it's very likely that the headaches are psychological and nothing serious.

In R88, Taekkie also suffered from insomnia. That night after kissing Deoksun, he didn't eat any sleeping pills and slept like a baby. I think this is just LWJ's way to make her characters' emotional struggles more tangible.

• Like 11
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

I also think that Jeong Wons headaches were because of stress cause he had to take such a crucial decision of his life. I think what he told the girl was half truth since he did not want to lie about any danger to her life or any impact on her life expectancy. 

I think the health scare is more likely to be for Song Hwa if at all. I do hope that they keep it light and there are no health issues for any of the characters!

Also IkSun entered the hospital in the Darth Vader helmet and the back story of Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker who’s greatest fear was  of losing his loved one. And when IkJun said I will fix you to Songhwa in Season 1 when she asked him what if she’s actually sick it kind of reminded me of Darth Vader and his back story. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 6/27/2021 at 8:04 AM, taeunfighting said:

It is funny how almost all the moms wish to pair Song Hwa with their son. I am curious if we will get to see her patient’s mother’s son and if so, who will play him.

I think the rich Gangnam pharmacist is a reference to Loony in Prison Playbook haha. Let's see if he does a cameo

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, gogoggoo said:

I think the rich Gangnam pharmacist is a reference to Loony in Prison Playbook haha. Let's see if he does a cameo

I love Lee Kyu Hyung. If true, it would be a clever play of characterization between PP and HP. Looney's real name was Yoo Han Yang and the violinist's name is Yoo Gyeong Jin. Coincidentally, they have the same surname...so we'll see. :)

• Like 9

Thanks to each chingu who took the time to explain to me what kind of racism was that.

I did not know there exist this kind of racism as well. I came to know about it for the first time through this drama. I knew about when they bully you for ur color. ethnicity or dress or hairstyle are all kinds of racism.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Raynaa said:

And when IkJun said I will fix you to Songhwa in Season 1 when she asked him what if she’s actually sick...

Oh, I love that scene, it shows how much Ikjun really care for her. He's just finished doing surgery, he refuse a date, then he drove long distance to get to her. It's the sweetest thing ever..

• Like 6
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, __jesse said:

We've discussed this before in season 1. I think Jeongwon's headaches in season 1 was caused by psychological stress. Pressure from his mom to get married and stay by her side, his own passion as a doctor, his growing feelings for Gyeoul, and his decision to become a priest.

He didn't have headaches anymore after deciding to stay. So it's very likely that the headaches are psychological and nothing serious.

That made me feel so relieved. I guess I was overanalyzing things. Winter-Garden is ult and I would feel really down if one of them leaves. I want to see more of them.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 6:49 PM, JungRok said:

I read SHB Bazaar Interview from fans Twitter. This is my own interpretation. 

Seems like her answer is highly likely shows that this might be her last season to appear as Jang Gyeoul, if they gonna have a 3rd season. I mean TvN might push the PD team for 3rd season due to ratings and high welcoming but in the end, it all depends on them. 

I think the interview comment about "last season" applies to everyone because the PD team around that time mentioned no firm plans for S3 in another interview https://www.straitstimes.com/life/entertainment/the-life-list-five-things-to-know-about-hospital-playlist-2:

Though the creative team behind Hospital Playlist originally toyed with the idea, there are currently no plans for a third season.

Director Shin says: "(Three seasons) is the sort of timeline we originally had in mind. This is my first attempt at a seasonal series so I've come across a lot of new challenges and limitations. There are a lot of pros, but also some cons that we were not able to foresee.

"I've told the cast members a third season is not definite, so they can feel free to schedule whatever projects they want to do."

I can't find a more "official" source than this but this is what I picked up from the local news.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

On 6/26/2021 at 10:36 AM, sillyvivian_yo22 said:

The cafe cashier acted on purpose as if she didn’t understand what Iksun said even tho it’s just simply “Latte Please!” with her accents. 

Perhaps it’s not explicitly spelled out for audience to see like the more apparent cases of racism, but it IS still racism. But cases like this happen VERY commonly for Asians in English-speaking countries. It’s not simply a case of mishearing or difficulties hearing. It’s almost like mocking Asian accents on purpose.

Hope that clears up for you!

No. She was NOT oversensitive. If the cashier purposely pretended to not understand Iksun’s accent, that IS racial microaggression, aka still racism. Cases like her are very common in US and UK. And guess what? The common responses/reactions/comments to these racial microaggressions towards Asians or any other person-of-color from Caucasians would usually be “are you sure that’s racist or you’re just being oversensitive?”, dismissing the victims’ experience and feelings. This made all Asians living in those countries feel as if it’s their fault, their ‘bad’ accents that warranted these types of racist occurrences to themselves.

Iksun’s story implied that the cashier purposely acted as if she didn’t understand the simple “Latte Please”. I don’t think she was even served the latte at all and left bc she got so frustrated and flustered. So at the end, that cashier, in her subtly racist way, did and was able to refuse serving Iksun right? I don’t think that cashier was being dense at all. It IS racial aggression type of behavior, and like you said, condescending, which is totally enough to be labeled as racism. 

Chill wokie it's just a TV show lol

• Unamused 1

27 minutes ago, Mikayla Holloway said:

Chill wokie it's just a TV show lol

Oh Dear, so many people here took the pains to explain how it is micro-aggression/racism. This is the second time you are dismissing it rather casually. Yes, it's a tv show, but that's how we all can learn to be more sensitive to anything/anyone different from us. Not every bad thing has to be personally experienced to learn a lesson out of it.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, gogoggoo said:

I think the interview comment about "last season" applies to everyone because the PD team around that time mentioned no firm plans for S3 in another interview.

Oh dear.. I'm hoping HP to continue at least one more season.. Not ready to say goodbye yet, but I guess that's the risk with many casts, they probably have different projects in the future and it's hard to adjust all of their schedules.. Still hoping for season 3 with all the casts though..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shawolynn said:

Oh dear.. I'm hoping HP to continue at least one more season.. Not ready to say goodbye yet, but I guess that's the risk with many casts, they probably have different projects in the future and it's hard to adjust all of their schedules.. Still hoping for season 3 with all the casts though..

it also depends on what kind of stories ShinLee want to bring as well... I'd rather have 2 solid seasons than 5 mediocre ones with dragged-out plot :(

But yes with the popularity that HP has gained, it would be difficult to gather all the cast members for every season ><

• Like 6