[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Because it's D-Day, I decided to re-watch some of the memorable scenes from past episodes. I remember a youtuber analyzing the significance of the mafia game scene and associated it with who gave the flowers to SHwa, so I decided to rewatch it to understand it myself but I got a different impression (linking the video below for your reference).

While rewatching, I realized that the mafia game may have foreshadowed IJ and SHwa’s story. The Night and Day in the mafia game could’ve been metaphors to the Past and Present. Only those who know what happened in the night (past) know who the “Mafia” is. Jeongwon was the game master --- the only one who knows who the “Mafia" is aside from the actual “Mafia”. And we know how with his sensitivity, Jwon can easily know things about his friends. The rest are the other players:

Rosa - SHwa

Jongsu - IJ

Young-Hye (Seokhyeong’s Mom) - SH

Jeon (Yulje Director) - Jwan

Jongsu and Rosa being parallels for IJ and SHwa are pretty self-explanatory as we’ve covered that numerous times. Director Jeon was the mirror for Jwan, being his professor who inspired him to take Cardiothoracic Surgery and pushed him to hold a higher position at Yulje. He is also the only one who has a stable living partner just as how Jwan is the only one in a relationship. As for SH, he called his mom asking about her day after the Mafia game. I believe their conversation echoes how precious the lacking 5 is to SH. Despite being “anti-social”, he seeks comfort from his friends.

SH: Wasn’t it uncomfortable with strangers around?

SH’s mom: I want to hang out with them next weekend too. I haven’t laughed this much since I got old. I’ve never met people who are as entertaining as they are my whole life.

In the second round of the game, Jongsu was chosen as the “Mafia”. When everyone was discussing, Jongsu kept on insisting that he was the “Mafia”. When the voting came around, he suddenly voted against Rosa, contradicting what he was claiming all along and ultimately denying he’s the “Mafia”. But to Rosa’s dismay, it was finally revealed that Jongsu was actually the “Mafia”.

Rosa: Even of you had to betray someone, how could you betray your best friend of 65 years? How could you?

Jongsu: I was just trying to play the game the best that I could.

Then Rosa proceeds to wipe the coffee off Jongsu’s face like how SHwa washed IJ’s face.

What’s interesting though is that during the first round, Rosa was the “Mafia” and she immediately admitted it. SH’s mom confirmed it saying she felt something move past her.

Working on this take, it may be possible that IJ may have affirmed his feelings towards SHwa in the past but took it back, hurting SHwa in the process. And Jwon might have known the full story all along, SH might have had an idea about SHwa’s feelings, and Jwan was totally unaware. And now we have SHwa knowing that IJ did like her back then, just like how Rosa found out the Jongsu was really the “Mafia”. If these parallelisms are true, then I guess SHwa’s overarching emotions upon finding out about this would be the feeling of betrayal. :tears:

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 16

56 minutes ago, KDramaFan0828 said:

Because it's D-Day, I decided to re-watch some of the memorable scenes from past episodes. I remember a youtuber analyzing the significance of the mafia game scene and associated it with who gave the flowers to SHwa, so I decided to rewatch it to understand it myself but I got a different impression (linking the video below for your reference).

While rewatching, I realized that the mafia game may have foreshadowed IJ and SHwa’s story. The Night and Day in the mafia game could’ve been metaphors to the Past and Present. Only those who know what happened in the night (past) know who the “Mafia” is. Jeongwon was the game master --- the only one who knows who the “Mafia" is aside from the actual “Mafia”. And we know how with his sensitivity, Jwon can easily know things about his friends. The rest are the other players:

Rosa - SHwa

Jongsu - IJ

Young-Hye (Seokhyeong’s Mom) - SH

Jeon (Yulje Director) - Jwan

Jongsu and Rosa being parallels for IJ and SHwa are pretty self-explanatory as we’ve covered that numerous times. Director Jeon was the mirror for Jwan, being his professor who inspired him to take Cardiothoracic Surgery and pushed him to hold a higher position at Yulje. He is also the only one who has a living partner just as how Jwan is the only one in a relationship. As for SH, he called his mom asking about her day after the Mafia game. I believe their conversation echoes how precious the lacking 5 is to SH. Despite being “anti-social”, he seeks comfort from his friends.

SH: Wasn’t it uncomfortable with strangers around?

SH’s mom: I want to hang out with them next weekend too. I haven’t laughed this much since I got old. I’ve never met people who are as entertaining as they are my whole life.

In the second round of the game, Jongsu was chosen as the “Mafia”. When everyone was discussing, Jongsu kept on insisting that he was the “Mafia”. When the voting came around, he suddenly voted against Rosa, contradicting what he was claiming all along and ultimately denying he’s the “Mafia”. But to Rosa’s dismay, it was finally revealed that Jongsu was actually the “Mafia”.

Rosa: Even of you had to betray someone, how could you betray your best friend of 65 years? How could you?

Jongsu: I was just trying to play the game the best that I could.

Then Rosa proceeds to wipe the coffee off Jongsu’s face like how SHwa washed IJ’s face.

What’s interesting though is that during the first round, Rosa was the “Mafia” and she immediately admitted it. SH’s mom confirmed it saying she felt something move past her.

Working on this take, it may be possible that IJ may have affirmed his feelings towards SHwa in the past but took it back, hurting SHwa in the process. And Jwon might have known the full story all along, SH might have had an idea about SHwa’s feelings, and Jwan was totally unaware. And now we have SHwa knowing that IJ did like her back then, just like how Rosa found out the Jongsu was really the “Mafia”. If these parallelisms are true, then I guess SHwa’s overarching emotions upon finding out about this would be the feeling of betrayal. :tears:

It does make sense with Ikjun mentioning that SH is his girlfriend in the past. But at the same time the convo btwn them during Shwa biopsy result and the funeral scene where Shkyeong mentioned that he confessed to SH and IJ's reaction doesn't make sense. I seriously dk what to think

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t quote images - vids etc . Thanks
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, milkokoa said:

It does make sense with Ikjun mentioning that SH is his girlfriend in the past. But at the same time the convo btwn them during Shwa biopsy result and the funeral scene where Shkyeong mentioned that he confessed to SH and IJ's reaction doesn't make sense. I seriously dk what to think

It was just in IJ memory that SHwa was his girlfriend.  He had not even confessed or talked to her .  SH is the one who confessed to SHwa and got rejected and when IJ was consoling SH about his rejection, he trashed the ring he brought for SHwa.  Thus ended his fantasy girl friend.  

Just because IJ had a crush does not mean they are a couple .  

• Like 2

TV REPORT | 2020. 05. 27.

"Hospital Playlist" OSTs sweep Melon's real-time chart

4A3F3A4A-17A6-469C-B0AA-5E6A16D543B6.jpg

Photo = tvN

AF0C22B1-5600-4444-BEA1-EE17C4A6EAC9.jpg

Photo = tvN, Studio MaeumC, Edam Entertainment, SM Entertainment

The OST "I Knew I Love" by actress Jeon Mi Do for the drama "Hospital Playlist" has maintained the No.1 position on the chart. In addition, the OST "Aloha" by Jo Jung Suk took 4th place.

By 8 am (KST) May 28, the OSTs of the drama ''Hospital Playlist'' drew great attention as they took over Melon's real-time charts - Korea's largest digital music site - at No.1, No.4, No.13 (''Introduce Me A Good Person'' by Joy), No.20 (''Confession Is Not Flashy'' by Kyuhyun) and No.28 (''Beautiful My Love'' by Urban Zakapa).

"Eight (Prod. & Feat. Suga of BTS)" - the song that dominated the chart for a long time - took the second position, while the title song "Candy" of Baekhyun's mini-album vol.2 "Delight" reached the third. Following that, the 5th to 7th places respectively belonged to "Leo (feat. Baekhyun)" of BOL4, "Nonstop" of Oh My Girl and "ON" of BTS.

Subsequently, all the b-side songs on Baekhyun's solo album achieved high rankings on this chart, from "Bungee" at No.8, "R U Ridin'?" at No.12 to "Ghost" at No.14.

TV Report = Reporter Park Hyun Min gato@tvreport.co.kr
Photo = tvN, Studio MaeumC, Edam Entertainment, SM Entertainment

Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 15

53 minutes ago, milkokoa said:

Thank you for mentioning the funeral scene. I think their reactions and the pattern how they also looked at each other at that scene makes sense based on my interpretation of the mafia scene.

I don’t think they actually got to be a couple. At most probably in the unsure stage where IJ gives special attention to SHwa enough to make  her feel that he might have an interest in her? But not enough to really confirm it that’s why he still needed to confess. But we know that didn’t work out. I actually don’t know as well HAHA. I get so excited trying to decode things like a mystery I have to remind myself that the past would only matter if they haven’t moved on. So in the end what really matters is what would happen now and SHwa’s choice in the present :D Only a few more hours to go!!! I’m holding my breath HAHAHA

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, KDramaFan0828 said:

I don’t think they actually got to be a couple. At most probably in the unsure stage where IJ gives special attention to SHwa enough to make  her feel that he might have an interest in her? But not enough to really confirm it that’s why he still needed to confess. But we know that didn’t work out. I actually don’t know as well HAHA. I get so excited trying to decode things like a mystery I have to remind myself that the past would only matter if they haven’t moved on. So in the end what really matters is what would happen now and SHwa’s choice in the present :D Only a few more hours to go!!! I’m holding my breath HAHAHA

I'm thinking the same. SHwa and IJ must have had this special unspoken thing going on which only they both knew. When IJ was about to confirm it with words and seal it with a ring, his poor luck, SH confessed to her. After that IJ cancelled their supposed date and must've suddenly acted cold to her, SHwa must have felt pretty hurt and confused. Only this explains why she was kinda mad in the taxi. Because after your 20 years long friend confessed to you like that, you don't get mad, you must feel shock or pity that you don't reciprocate his feelings and you must find ways to still maintain the friendship without making it awkward. She can't be like "ok IJ confessed to me in front of my colleagues, this is embarrasing, let me cut him off from my life" That makes no sense. She might be partly mad that it happened in front of her staff, but it still doesn't make sense to not even have a talk with him and smooth things over the next day. She is just running away to sokcho. Look at how she was when SH confessed in the past. For further reference you guys can watch Yoon Jae's epic confession in R97. Shi won was not at the same place as her so she asks him whether they can go back to being friends. 

Spoiler

I don't think we will get any resolution for Songhwa-Ikjun in this last ep. We have to wait till the next season. But it would be nice if they reveal some flashback and confirm that Songhwa also liked him back in the past. 

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, angelwingssf said:

It was just in IJ memory that SHwa was his girlfriend.  He had not even confessed or talked to her .  SH is the one who confessed to SHwa and got rejected and when IJ was consoling SH about his rejection, he trashed the ring he brought for SHwa.  Thus ended his fantasy girl friend.  

Just because IJ had a crush does not mean they are a couple .  

Is it normal giving a ring to confess ? or was that a thing during 90?   for me it's a bit weird, and it's not a sure thing yet the other person would say yes. Tbh I would find it a bit overwhelming and borderline creepy

2 hours ago, kokodus said:

I'm thinking the same. SHwa and IJ must have had this special unspoken thing going on which only they both knew. When IJ was about to confirm it with words and seal it with a ring, his poor luck, SH confessed to her. After that IJ cancelled their supposed date and must've suddenly acted cold to her, SHwa must have felt pretty hurt and confused. Only this explains why she was kinda mad in the taxi. Because after your 20 years long friend confessed to you like that, you don't get mad, you must feel shock or pity that you don't reciprocate his feelings and you must find ways to still maintain the friendship without making it awkward. She can't be like "ok IJ confessed to me in front of my colleagues, this is embarrasing, let me cut him off from my life" That makes no sense. She might be partly mad that it happened in front of her staff, but it still doesn't make sense to not even have a talk with him and smooth things over the next day. She is just running away to sokcho. Look at how she was when SH confessed in the past. For further reference you guys can watch Yoon Jae's epic confession in R97. Shi won was not at the same place as her so she asks him whether they can go back to being friends. 

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think we will get any resolution for Songhwa-Ikjun in this last ep. We have to wait till the next season. But it would be nice if they reveal some flashback and confirm that Songhwa also liked him back in the past. 

Yes I think your theory make sense the most, can't wait for tonight episode I hope we get one on one Iksong's scene, they really need it

Edited by triplem
Merged consecutive posts
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

@bedifferent *waves* Good to see you! Loved reading your post. Yes, the show has been a real treat every Thursday. I like how it carries out the doctor/patient stories. Some happened to be relatable so I sincerely appreciate the writer/PD’s ability to do that.

I’m super impressed that you remember my comment about my family. :lol:

Spoiler

My two older brothers are in the field. Jun Wan reminds me of my eldest. A bit cold on the outside, but really…he’s a nice guy and means well. Based on the trailer, I had thought Seok Hyeong would remind me of my middle brother because of his tight relationship with his mother, but actually, Jeong Won would be more accurate. My middle brother loves his profession, but like Jeong Won, he’s sensitive and emotional so he takes many things to heart. My sister-in-law was able to balance him out though so my mother was relieved of her support call duties. :D I keep thinking throughout the show though…life would be so much fun if Ik Jun was one of my brothers. LOL.

Hope you and everyone here enjoys the "last" episode. Take care and stay safe!

• Like 6