[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Hospital playlist is much more than romance drama. But the romance also an important part of this story. Life begins at 40. At 40s the lacking 5 members, got their lovelife restarted at Yulje.

Anyone notice at episode 1 that the lacking 5 members were introduce as pairs? First pair S duo, Seokhyong and Song Hwa (Seokhyong House) and Second Pair JW Duo, Jeong Won and Junwan (Jeong Won Car). Interesting to note that the pairs were introduced in Seoul Boys property, single vs dating, both talking about band. After some scenes introducing them as doctors, the last member Ikjun was introduced not as pairs. He was introduced in some kind epic entrance with Darth Vader helmet and saber, with his kid (and nanny).

**This scene made me belive that this Ikjun Character were gonna be special. Also due to the fact that He was the first actor casted. And PD picked the lead actress as per his recommendation. Ikjun roles seems to be specially crafted for Jo Jong Suk.

Work Together at Yulje + Band Restart were the Seouls Boys doing. Both single by choice and in the midst of problems that made them in dire need of their three friends. Seokhyung with divorce trauma and an ongoing messy family problem. Jeong Won while dealing with grieve from his father death, decided to pull the trigger on priesthood while planning for his DDL program sustainability. While their friends at that time aside from their busy work schedulle also busy with their partners/family. There was a scene when Jeong Won asked Song Hwa if she has a time, then she answered that she has a date with Prof. Jang. Jeong Won also express his feeling left behind to Jun Wan when he plan to go dating in Busan.

So as the band restart the lacking 5 were not in the same chapter in their love relationships. Jeong Won was single-virgin, Seokhyung was a single divorcee, Jun Wan was in relationship, Song Hwa was in steady relationship, and Ikjun was in long distance married with child. Two were single by choice, and the three were happily in relationships. Then betrayal and breakups happen to Junwan, Song Hwa, and Ikjun. In episodes three where the theme song is "lonely night" were all when all the lacking five became all singles in their 40s, back to the state where they were singing Aloha in their 20s. Their lovelife begin to restart.

For Junwan, Song Hwa and Ikjun, their failed relationship at the beginning of their 40s were different from the two. Coz since med school the were actively dating. Junwan and Ikjun always had girlfriend. Song Hwa steadily dating for 3-4 years with her sunbae since winter of her freshman year/second years? And date another after the first breakup. The three almost never single for too long. Coz they were awesome and easy on the eyes so I can imagine potential suitor will always line up.

How the three deal with their break up were how ordinary people in their 40s deal with failure depending on their character and circumstances.

1. Junwan. He had playboy reputation coz his relationship never lasted long. But that happen coz he haven't met the right girl who understand his busy lifestyle as an cs and aligned with his value. So when he found an amazing girl he was not hesitating to make a move. It is probably the most meaningful relationship he ever had, but circumstances doomed him (LDR)

Him the first to breakup, him finding out Prof Jang infidelity become red herring that he will be paired with Song Hwa. But it turn out that they are just foodie soulmate.

2. Song Hwa. Prof Jang infidelity leading to her break up happen when she was dealing with cancer scare. In the same time she witness the relationship of her friend-patient, a breast cancer survivor already had masectomy then dealing with tumor, had her husband flew from far just to be with her. She envied her friend a little. She want her next relationship to be as meaningful, faithful. So I think she will want to pause, not too hastily jump into new relationship.

That's one of the reason why she pushed Chihong away. He was younger, and she had a lot to figure out so she didn't want any relationship now.

3. Ikjun. He was legally married. I think what happened to Uju in children day, was what make him agree to the divorce right away, as long as he got Uju guardianship. He felt his pride hurt. As a single dad, he knew that his new suitor had to love Uju too. As always after divorce potensial suitors appeared (his ex, Go Ara). But hearing Song Hwa cancer scare, made him realised that he still want to be with her, even in sickness. Afterward, when other stayed at the door questioning her result, he was the only one who casually cross the line approaching her with coffee. If only Chihong did not provoke him as competitor, I am sure that he will take it slow. The fact that he also saw Song Hwa sincerely loves Uju, also made him tried to not waste anymore time. Like it is now or never mentality, in this rare time when they both single after two decades.

There was to many epic and meaningful scenes between Iksong in season 1. Ikjun epic entrance to the scene with Darth Vader helmet must mean something. In his first appearance he solved Song Hwa's problem, and Song Hwa seen slept together with Uju. The fact that they were given an open ending, tell us that their lovestory will continue in Season 2. This plot, divorcee single dad tries to rekindled his first love: a woman who never want to marry, is very interesting conflict to explore, also an age appropriate adult real life problem for 40s character. Meatier roles for the actors and actress. Jo Jong Suk delivery as Ikjun in season 1 was so amazing, and Jeon Mido also so good, held her own as the leading lady opposite Jo Jong Suk (in her 1st tv drama). Their chemistry is good. If I am Shinlee, I don't want to waste their talents.

• Like 10
  • Love 8
  • Insightful 1

@stroppyse, Thanks so much for all that information. I can’t believe you just confirmed how shy JKH is. I picked that up before in watching one of their videos but I wasn’t sure. That’s so cute. I mean, I think I have seen his drama shows the most out of all these actors but I think it’s just so amusing that he’s shy. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wow hello guys,

I came back Soompi these 2 weeks for another TVN drama that I find very interesting (Sat-Sun), and I am truly surprise that this thread is still very active (I plan to comeback when SS2 is aired only haha). 

I made a quick surfing some past pages and sincerely, for my personal opinion only, I found the shipping wars is kinda annoying and meaningless. I planned to make a comment on the post of somebody (remember the name but I will not mention here) that support JWon - SHwa regardless of the character development, but I decided to stay out of the waves :D Yup I believe we all can ship and support the couple we love, but it need to be under logical consideration. Romance is not just jumping out of no where, haha.

Some topics that we actively discussed lost its interesting now, for me. For some first episodes, we eager to guess who is SWha's first love, but as the story unfold, I don't even care anymore and the answer is not matter to me, because I believe that regardless of who is the 1st love, it will not affect the present as well as the future life of Shwa, and her decision, too. The past is the past, now. Why we try guessing the answer that, kinda meaningless, at the moment?

As well as the shipping wars, since now, things are all settled for SS1. We don't have clue, hint or new development every week to discuss and all we discuss here is almost based on old materials with (new) interpretation, and for the next several months until SS2, I believe that no one even care about what we discussed hundred pages ago.

So I support the idea to close the thread until the new SS to come, or if this thread is still open, I hope that we can have some update about the actor/ actress, the production etc to wait for :D

Thank you and see you guys later when SS2 come :D 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, yyscrush said:

Let's not forget about the small hint writer put into

I have feeling that the person SongHwa liked in the past was JeongWon.

In Ep2, SongHwa is the main vocal to sang "Introduce me a nice person"

And she repeated that line in the car

And she did it exactly the same to JeongWon. She put her head to his shoulder whose has a nice hand (and soft too)

I dont think this is just a coincidence. No no no

Sorry for cutting your post short.

i'm also sorry to say this but those hints about hands that 'indicate' SongHwa liking JWon in the past are definitely reaching. During all the flashbacks, there was never any moment that screams SongHwa 'crushing on' JeongWon. The one with the high likelihood to have been her crush was IkJun - her staring in admiration at IkJun's playing the guitar. She tenderly looked at IkJun just like how SeokHyeong tenderly looked at her. That's the intentional look for someone that impresses you. 

and if we rely on JeongWon holding her shoulders to support her purchasing impulse  as a romantic gestures that 'hint' for their future romance development, aren't we too old-fashioned?? lol That's really normal gestures of friends, even of opposite genders.

There are 3 guys that hold her shoulders during the first season: JeongWon, IkJun , and ChiHong. yet JeongWon's is the only one she was comfortable with/not weary of. Why? Because there's no romance-insinuated motive underneath JeongWon's action, compared to the other two. Because they are and will always be FRIENDS.

------------

That's why we have fanfics, guys... you can ship whoever you want in your imagination. :) Just write it out how you want your ship to be. :) 

• Like 14
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, sillyvivian_yo89 said:

There are 3 guys that hold her shoulders during the first season: JeongWon, IkJun , and ChiHong. yet JeongWon's is the only one she was comfortable with/not weary of. Why? Because there's no romance-insinuated motive underneath JeongWon's action, compared to the other two. Because they are and will always be FRIENDS.

Thank you for your reply @sillyvivian_yo89 it's nice to get listened and responded :D During the long wait to season 2, all I can do is re-watching all over again and find something. Also sorry for the bad English  -_-

The "hold shoulder" action is between guys and it just saying how close they are as friends. But SongHwa in the case, put her head into JWon shoulder which is I think unnecessary. It is not saying they will grow a romance development later, just showing SongHwa feeling.

• Like 3

Can I know why you guys still talk about who Songhwa liked back in 99 when the director/writer already confirmed it in the interview and the drama clearly show who it was in the early ep?

No offense though. Just curious why :sweatingbullets:

What I love more about drama other than the plot or characters are the couple/pairings chemistry with each other. It turned me off sometimes if the pairings lack chemistry or when there is too much forced interactions. So if I were to rank the chemistry between the four main pairings in this drama it would be

Iksong > gomgom > bidulgi > wintergarden 

I know I'm going to get flak from wg shippers in this thread but this is what I feel. Someone's else would probably feel entirely different from me ofc. 

My issue with wg is the lack of Jeongwon's pov in S1, same can be said about Songhwa but at least we can see how happy she is with Ikjun, love his jokes no matter how lame, care for his being, his happiness etc they are friends so it's easy to feel her emotions even if she didn't outright show or say it. 

On the other way round, we can only see Jeongwon's pov in the last ep in flashback form, so the kiss scene didn't do anything for me because we only know his pov only just like 5 sec after it happens. The feeling is more dumbfounded that anything. I also don't understand how or when he started to think of Goeul in a romantic way. Changing from negative view to positive view is one thing but to romantic way? Really curious what is the trigger? He started liking her at least in ep 6 right? 

But they will interact a lot in s2 for sure, so maybe we will see their chemistry 

I rank bidulgi after gomgom with pretty much the same reason with wg, their love line is quite abrupt, we don't know why Junwan suddenly likes and want to date her. Even with so many romantic scene with them, still can't feel much chemistry, maybe I feel they still lack back story? I guess that's really important to me 

Gomgom even they didn't happened yet, I can already feel the chemistry because we can see their story from the start, how Minha didn't like him much at first but the more she sees him interacting with his patients, how sensitive and sensible he is, the more she likes him. It's so easy to understand and even when Seokhyung reject her, it's totally understable too, his reaction is what I expect when Minha confessed to him. 

They continue interact normally and I can see how Seokhyung will develop his feeling to Minha next season without being abrupt or out of nowhere. 

Iksong have chemistry even just being on screen together, just talking about anything or without doing anything. I don't want to talk about this pairing bc I'm going to be very biased so i'm just saying what I feel

I know many wg shippers in this thread but I really wonder how many actually ships the characters or ship the actors irl because it seems more toward the latter the way I see it. For sure Yys and shb both good looking people and single(assuming this) so easy to ship them irl

• Like 8
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, milkokoa said:

Can I know why you guys still talk about who Songhwa liked back in 99 when the director/writer already confirmed it in the interview and the drama clearly show who it was in the early ep?

No offense though. Just curious why :sweatingbullets:

What I love more about drama other than the plot or characters are the couple/pairings chemistry with each other. It turned me off sometimes if the pairings lack chemistry or when there is too much forced interactions. So if I were to rank the chemistry between the four main pairings in this drama it would be

Iksong > gomgom > bidulgi > wintergarden 

I know I'm going to get flak from wg shippers in this thread but this is what I feel. Someone's else would probably feel entirely different from me ofc. 

My issue with wg is the lack of Jeongwon's pov in S1, same can be said about Songhwa but at least we can see how happy she is with Ikjun, love his jokes no matter how lame, care for his being, his happiness etc they are friends so it's easy to feel her emotions even if she didn't outright show or say it. 

On the other way round, we can only see Jeongwon's pov in the last ep in flashback form, so the kiss scene didn't do anything for me because we only know his pov only just like 5 sec after it happens. The feeling is more dumbfounded that anything. I also don't understand how or when he started to think of Goeul in a romantic way. Changing from negative view to positive view is one thing but to romantic way? Really curious what is the trigger? He started liking her at least in ep 6 right? 

But they will interact a lot in s2 for sure, so maybe we will see their chemistry 

I rank bidulgi after gomgom with pretty much the same reason with wg, their love line is quite abrupt, we don't know why Junwan suddenly likes and want to date her. Even with so many romantic scene with them, still can't feel much chemistry, maybe I feel they still lack back story? I guess that's really important to me 

Gomgom even they didn't happened yet, I can already feel the chemistry because we can see their story from the start, how Minha didn't like him much at first but the more she sees him interacting with his patients, how sensitive and sensible he is, the more she likes him. It's so easy to understand and even when Seokhyung reject her, it's totally understable too, his reaction is what I expect when Minha confessed to him. 

They continue interact normally and I can see how Seokhyung will develop his feeling to Minha next season without being abrupt or out of nowhere. 

Iksong have chemistry even just being on screen together, just talking about anything or without doing anything. I don't want to talk about this pairing bc I'm going to be very biased so i'm just saying what I feel

I know many wg shippers in this thread but I really wonder how many actually ships the characters or ship the actors irl because it seems more toward the latter the way I see it. For sure Yys and shb both good looking people and single(assuming this) so easy to ship them irl

@milkokoa

Hi, this is my 2nd time to post here..just wanna say that I respect your opinion..i Love Wg. Maybe what is obvious to me is not obvious to you and that is absolutely fine. I respect that. To each his own. (as long as you stick to the pairings that are already established in the drama). The screen time they have together were actually minimal because Winter is really not a main lead and the drama only has few scenes linking them together in every episode. Most of their interactions are work-related (her assisting him in his rounds, calling him bec patient need to have surgery, assisting him in surgery, etc). Unlike with Iksong, both are Main Leads and friends so they have more screen time compared to the other pairings. 

Re: irl shipping of shb and yys? I don't. I can't speak for the others.

Btw, These are my thoughts. :smile:

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Vicmrtnz said:

@milkokoa

Hi, this is my 2nd time to post here..just wanna say that I respect your opinion..i Love Wg. Maybe what is obvious to me is not obvious to you and that is absolutely fine. I respect that. To each his own. (as long as you stick to the pairings that are already established in the drama). The screen time they have together were actually minimal because Winter is really not a main lead and the drama only has few scenes linking them together in every episode. Most of their interactions are work-related (her assisting him in his rounds, calling him bec patient need to have surgery, assisting him in surgery, etc). Unlike with Iksong, both are Main Leads and friends so they have more screen time compared to the other pairings. 

Re: irl shipping of shb and yys? I don't. I can't speak for the others.

Btw, These are my thoughts. :smile:

Rather than the amount of screen time I think it's more about substantial screentime. If you say about supporting character then Minha is a supporting character too just like Geoul. Of course more screentime count too but not necessarily, there are many couple in other drama that have many screentime but they can still lack chemistry. 

Thus I'm thinking the reason people are so obsessed with wg has to do with shipping the actors in rl. Not saying all of course 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

@milkokoa I think HP is different from other shows in that we don't see each and every interactions, they just let us fill the blanks ourselves by only giving us an optimum amount required to do so. LOL. In one ep we see IkJun's wife asking for a divorce and by the next ep he is already been divorced for a few weeks, we didn't see the whole process and it is also not required because it's the obvious next step. I would argue that WG had the most fleshed out arc out of the four main lovelines in the 1st season. IkSong on the other hand, we are pushed into the middle of it, we dont know what happened to them in the past fully. This is unlike WG where we saw the beginning, middle and the end all in one season wonderfully unravelled even with just little crumbs and pieces. We don't have to be a genius to figure out that Jeong won always treated GU differently and acted awkward around her. The writer has made it so clear with the rejection scene where she painstakingly added an extra scene to emphasize the fact that JW doesn't say no to anyone. But Gyeo ul is different. Why is she different? This is the scene where it became clear to me that he loves her too. Up until this moment, I was not convinced either....We don't know when and how he fell for her, but some times in real life too, there is no lightbulb moment where we can pinpoint and say a particular day and time when we fell for our significant other. LOL. It's the little things that we get attracted to overtime that will snowball into something big one day without us even realizing.

Like what Shin PD already said, the emotional lines are all set from ep 1, but since everyone has different tastes, it's normal for us to root and sympathize with one couple more than the others. It's natural. No big deal. 

I think I speak for everyone when I say that real life shipping of YYS and SHB only followed and didn't precede the character shipping. Majority of us know SHB only through this drama, and it's not like they showed many offscreen interactions or photoshoots to make us invest in the ship. We fell for Wintergarden only because of their onscreen interactions, and irl shipping is just an extension of the onscreen shipping because as you said they look really good together. LOLOL. 

Edit : Also want to add that there is a reason why WG's theme song is "confession is not flashy" LMAO. 

@kokodus agree with you. And the drama doesn't really focus much on romance since it is a slice of drama genre in a medical setting. WG is a VERY slow burn romance, tbh. Therefore, it may not be substantial screentime per sé but they still interacted as professionals, they didn't have a chance to interact as man and woman, yet.  Even in the confession scene in ep12, Jwon is in personal clothes while Winter is not. Compared to Iksong, bidulgi and gomgom, they have interactions/scenes where they were outside, wearing personal clothes. Hopefully, in season 2, that will be rectified. Since they are already a couple. 

Yys and Shb portrayed their roles exceptionally well, they have chemistry, that it's only normal for other fans to ship them irl since both are single (that I know of). But I don't ship them irl.. I can separate fiction from reality. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

To veer away from the usual loveline talks, I’ve had a few thoughts while rewatching and I’m wondering if anyone would have related insights.

I've said this in passing in a separate thread but I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning here as well to possibly get other people's inputs. I don't know if it's just me but I can't help but see Jwon-SHwa in Hongdo-Yunbok. Is it because of Hongdo's simple-mindedness and innocence which gives me the the same vibe with Jeongwon being a pure-hearted manchild? Or maybe I see SHwa's strength and competence in Yunbok's diligence and enthusiastic energy? The scene where Hongdo can't help but cry talking about their mom and when he felt really attached to the baby, as well as all the scenes of Yunbok impressively answering her seniors' questions give off the same vibe as their older counterparts as well (we all know who's Mr. Sensitive and Ms. Achiever). Using the concept of twins narratively was also interesting to me as twins are effective literary instruments to compare and contrast two linked characters and some people have already noted a few similarities between Jwon and SHwa such as how both of them have been very calculating in their actions and both mostly silent with their POV in the first season. Not to mention, and I think most importantly, the mysterious deep bond between twins which may resemble the telepathic friendship between Jwon and SHwa. I haven't really thought about this much but it always crosses my mind while rewatching LOL.

hospitalplaylist04-00295.jpg

EY7hU9HU4AEKaZF?format=jpg&name=900x900

On an entirely different point, I just noticed that the first season had built-up a lot of mystery surrounding SH. I'm guessing the next season will be resolving SH's family frustrations arc just as how season 1 wrapped-up Jwon's priesthood internal conflict arc. Season 1 has never failed to drop stories of SH’s misfortunes every now and then. He was suddenly left with his father's fortune and will that he run the company. He's always mentioned his ex-wife and we ended the season with her finally entering the picture. I'm also quite confused as to why SH was very affected with the politician's liver transplant (whose son was IJ's friend). I'm not sure if I missed anything HAHA but I don't recall it being explained? Please let me know because I honestly can’t recall HAHA. To add, they also introduced a new character in the person of the student nurse in the OB dept. All of which builds a complicated context for SH in the next season.

• Like 12
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3

4 hours ago, milkokoa said:

In my opinion, a couple’s chemistry is subjective to a viewer. I believe it’s why shipping wars exist and I have seen some pretty notorious shipping wars in the past for American shows. :lol: I believe a lot of those shippers might be embarrassed now that it has all passed. :lol:

Anyway, for me I can clearly see why Jungwan fell for IkSun. To me the first meeting in her hospital room said it all. Jungwan seemed smitten by Ik Sun’s enthusiastic and upbeat personality. Heck, even I was charmed by her and I can see how Jungwan was probably immediately attracted to her. It doesn’t seem like he had seen her for many years but the added familiarity through IkJun probably helped because she wasn’t completely a stranger. I totally feel their chemistry and I’m one of those viewers rooting for them to work out. I don’t need to know their history. I just need to know where they began and it was in that hospital room. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hi @milkokoa  Shin PD said on his interview “Our drama is not just about melodrama, so we shouldn’t sway by melodramatic elements.” Winter garden might not share any romantic scene or gesture before the confession scene but the build up or like what Shin PD called “emotional lines” is already shown from the very beginning. For Jeong-won my guts said, it all started from his wrong impression. In my opinion, wrong impression could lead into romantic feelings. Actually, anything could lead into romantic feelings. You don’t need any specific reason to fall for someone. HP used time jump, so not many scenes were shown, we don’t see how all the problem is happened or solved. Winter garden might only share work-related conversations, but that’s the point I think, they worked together for 8 months, it’s very possible to develop romantic feelings for someone who we always work with. This is also happened in real life, no? We have crush on someone in the office or school, perhaps we don’t share any romantic gesture with them but the feeling is there. Shin PD only emphasize what need to be emphasize from their interactions and dynamics through the scenes we already saw.

This is my take for winter garden, you don’t have to change your opinion or rank about the pairing. That’s perfectly fine. But no, people don't ship them because they ship the actors irl first :( Many people who support winter garden already fell for them and predicted their relationship since early episodes (curtain scene, chocopie scene, ‘not cup of my tea’ scene). And true, most of people just know about SHB from HP so it’s kind of impossible to ship irl first then ship the characters.

Anyway, I agree with you, the talks about who Song-hwa liked back in 99 should be pass because it’s already confirmed.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

@leftphalange I agree with you. These drama take place in almost one year meaning they both work together for quite a time that their feelings developed for each other but thing is it was not shown to the audience. That is the point. It was not shown and we have to assume. I know this is not melodrama but it seems they don't have any problem in developing iksong or gomgom loveline properly. The kiss in ep 12 seems to be only for the shock value than anything. I would rather Jeongwon said something like "I will stay. For you" rather than a very passionate kiss. Not a peck shb please lol. 

I guess I'm the only one who feel the lack of chemistry btwn wg seeing that everyone here ship them lol 

Anyway agree with one of the post, Jeongwon and Songhwa really has the best platonic relationship. Also with the Yunbok and hongdo comparison. I finally get why the writer didn't show much interactions in the early ep compared to junwan songhwa for example , now I get it. It's all for the purpose to show how these two understand each other without saying anything. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, KDramaFan0828 said:

I've said this in passing in a separate thread but I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning here as well to possibly get other people's inputs. I don't know if it's just me but I can't help but see Jwon-SHwa in Hongdo-Yunbok. Is it because of Hongdo's simple-mindedness and innocence which gives me the the same vibe with Jeongwon being a pure-hearted manchild? Or maybe I see SHwa's strength and competence in Yunbok's diligence and enthusiastic energy? The scene where Hongdo can't help but cry talking about their mom and when he felt really attached to the baby, as well as all the scenes of Yunbok impressively answering her seniors' questions give off the same vibe as their older counterparts as well (we all know who's Mr. Sensitive and Ms. Achiever). Using the concept of twins narratively was also interesting to me as twins are effective literary instruments to compare and contrast two linked characters and some people have already noted a few similarities between Jwon and SHwa such as how both of them have been very calculating in their actions and both mostly silent with their POV in the first season. Not to mention, and I think most importantly, the mysterious deep bond between twins which may resemble the telepathic friendship between Jwon and SHwa. I haven't really thought about this much but it always crosses my mind while rewatching LOL.

Yes. Imo, its the Best PLATONIC FRIENDSHIP. Same with Song hwa and Jun wan..the OT3. NO NEED TO ROMANTICIZE their interactions and put Malice on it. That is probably why the twins didn't say upfront that they are twins because accdg to Yun bok it was kinda fun messing with people. It was really a twist when I found out that they are twins.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 6/7/2020 at 4:28 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

While I can appreciate that not everybody who watched HP embraced the Winter Garden dynamic, it is humorous to me that anyone would think that the writer and the PD would include a kissing scene just to placate Winter Garden shippers ie. fanservice. I am amused by this suggestion in part because the kiss was telegraphed twice by the show... once in the scene where Gyeo-ul says, "I've never been kissed as well." and later in "Confession is not flashy" the portion where Jeong-won sings. Also most of us who have been rooting for them would have been quite content to see them both go out to dinner on their own without anyone else tagging along, in everyday apparel. 

So why did we get the kissing scene... and not dinner or the movies... or even a secret hand hold?

I submit it's because the writer wants to highlight the fact that these two people have been in love with each other for a while. The ER flashback yet again is proof of that. But they work together and for one reason or another neither has been willing to cross the line especially when they're now working so well together. After being turned down and lied to, she always thought that he saw her only as a colleague and he buried his feelings as much as he could because of the priesthood issue foremost in his mind.

By confessing so boldly and yet so humbly, Gyeo-ul gave Jeong-won an opening to do what he's been wanting to do for a while. To go to her and pour out his feelings. What else could he do after what she's done? Whatever he says in response will pale into insignificance. Dinner and movies would seem like such a cheap response.

The kiss is the only thing he could do to match or surpass her boldness. At that moment she became larger than life. She opened her heart to him and made herself completely vulnerable. I don't know about anyone else but that's why it works... for me at least... It's the least he can do for holding off for so long, for making her wait, for making her act first for putting herself in such a potentially humiliating position. She was burdened by the whole thing. She was worried about being an imposition. She had no idea where she stood with him at all and yet she put herself in the firing line. Rejection was a real possibility as far as she's concerned.

I've seen many kissing scenes in my time and I think this is one of the best. Why? Because it is an answer to a question. It is not only the right answer but it is the only answer. 

I don't think fundamentally that the question she poses is about leaving or staying or even about defying God... it is really about whether she is important enough to him to affect his decision making... ie. whether or not he can possibly be in love with someone like her.

A larger than life confession deserves a larger than life response.

@milkokoaI want to quote @40somethingahjumma's write up on the kiss scene, her insights always amaze me and gives me goosebumps. LOL. I'm not forcing you to get behind the WG ship or anything by posting this, I just want to defend the writer and say that the kiss was not "too sudden" and the emotional buildup was there from the beginning. As many have pointed out, since it's not a melodrama, they made it as subtle as possible but it is not very easy to miss. The chocopie scene, the bouquet scene, the sneaky smile, the proud smile, his lovelorn look when she drove off with another guy. It was all there. He repressed his feelings for so long that it's natural for him to burst  open like that. 

• Like 4
  • Love 7

@milkokoa no worries, you're not gonna get flak from any of us WG shippers ;) In it afterall should be civil discussions. Though like @leftphalange @kokodus @Vicmrtnz @Doesntmatter and many others had discussed through 200s pages, WG's interactions may be limited, but their romance is nowhere abrupt.

JeongWon is constantly shown to always be out of character whenever he's with GyeoUl. He's multiple times characterized as this wonderful nice and kind human being to the point of earning his 'Buddha' nickname, yet he lashed out easily at GyeoUl (though understandable since she was harsh and too blunt to the mother).. and even after the 'maggot incident', he still can't act 'kind and nice' to her as he is to everyone else. Such distinction in his behavior is shown clearly as deliberation on his part as well. Like she is the only one he cannot be himself around. I would be convinced if he actually didn't have any feelings for her at all if those were the only scenes showed. Yet the director throw in scenes like him noticing GU being BFF and always together with GU, him blanking out at GU being picked up by another guy afterwards in front of the ER entrance (TWICE too), him unintentionally looking at her direction right away when IkJun teasingly called out her name, him kindly and immediately saying yes to take anyone and everyone out to dinner/movie but YangPyeong-ing only GU. These scenes were shown with the clear purpose that at one point, JeongWon started to be very conscious about and started having feelings for GyeoUl. And because of his priest dream, he's scared that once he acted upon such feelings, he will for sure not be able to go for such dream anymore (although it's also shown clearly that his heart and mind would always prioritize the wellbeing of the adorable kids way above the priest dreams). Until he slowly wanted to give up the priest dream in the later episodes (10 and beyond) we're shown with a much more relaxed JeongWon around GyeoUl, comfortably talking to her and about her, relying on her surgery assistance, and trusting her enough to let her lead a surgery (even for this, both the OR nurse AND Prof Hwang from the flashback scene had mentioned that he'd never let anyone do the ped surgery yet he let GyeoUl do). And the rest is like everyone mentioned.

WG's scenes may be limited, but they are nowhere NOT substantial. Every scene about them showed, though slow, strong and clear development and that kiss says it all :) 

IRL shipping only came afterwards. I didn't even know who she was before HP. If it wasn't for that kiss and more BTS/Cam relays and YYS's accidental follow incident, a lot of us won't be shipping them IRL that hard :w00t: Though it's just fun and game. We lots still respect their real life decisions ;) 

and JeongWon-SongHwa is my favorite PLATONIC pair out of the Lacking Five. I love how they can rely and understand each other without the needs to say anything :) 

• Like 7
  • Love 9
  • Awesome 2

8 hours ago, KDramaFan0828 said:

I'm also quite confused as to why SH was very affected with the politician's liver transplant (whose son was IJ's friend). I'm not sure if I missed anything HAHA but I don't recall it being explained? Please let me know because I honestly can’t recall HAHA. To add, they also introduced a new character in the person of the student nurse in the OB dept. All of which builds a complicated context for SH in the next season.

Nice catch on parallelism between YB-HD and SH-JW.

I'm also curious about the parts i quoted above. But knowing that there are lots of things that haven't been revealed yet i keep my curiosity aside.

Another fun thing about HP is that you'll get to see different things when you rewatch. Even after rewatching season 1, once the season 2 starts, we may come back rewatching season 1 and find new discoveries that connect the seasons or see a certain scene in a different perspective.

I'm a bit slow in catching details. I tend to see the bigger picture. Thus i was taken aback when there's a new face (intern Im Chang Min) that seems to be so close to IJ in GU's proposal scene. After that scene he keeps appearing either in scenes related to GS or IJ. Upon rewatching i got to realize that actually he's already introduced way before that scene in details through IJ himself in the early episode. Therefore i think the production team has already introduced some characters for season 2 in season 1.

The moment the student nurse is introduced, we get the indication that she's more than just an ordinary character. The way they shoot her id card, her interaction with SHy and the information about her family background lead to possibility that we'll see her in season 2. It's the same as GU's brother and IJ's legally unregistered married couple patient. The probability of seeing them again is quite high. The actor playing GU's brother is quite famous among young generation. He's one of the famous web drama Love Playlist's main cast. I don't think they'll cast him just to appear few seconds as (mistaken) JW's competitor.

I'm also curious about the politician, his son, and SHy's relationship. Many possibilities crossed my mind. He and SHy could have had bad history. But the news article SHy read about that man is also suspicious. It's about the assault against the caddy girl done by the chairman while playing golf with SHy's dad (cmiiw i just count on my short term memory instead of checking the episode again). It made me wonder whether it's the assault that's important or is it the fact that SHy's dad accompany him. SHy's dad seems to be quite close to the politician seeing how he also helped the politician in getting the donor. There's bad blood between them for sure. Although not clear if it's in a personal level during their college days or elevate into family matter.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Knetz express their wish to see Jo Jungseok and Jeon Mido in Melon Music Awards after look at the charts!

Can a singer who sang drama OST also go to Melon Music Awards if we hears it every year? I want to see Jo Jungseok and Jeon Mido. Their music is really strong.

Netizens comments :

- Jo Jungseok is running for top ten.
    - What??!? ㅎㅎㅎㅎ. Wow. They're really going to get the Top Ten award.

- There's a separate OST award.

- The I-LAND is also amazing ㅋㅋㅋㅋ IU.
   - Two songs are in the top ten.

- Aloha is amazing ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

- BLOO and BLACKPINK is awesome.

- They're really amazing...

• Love 4

I didn't mean about wg being abrupt or anything, it's more about they don't have much chemistry with each other. Their love line start very early that one I get it, even Iksong love line only starts at ep 6, 

I guess the kiss is abrupt? and we don't see Jeongwon prior pov so it comes  out as abrupt to me. That's all. If Geoul who initiate the kiss then it's different story but then that rarely happens in kdrmaland 

• Like 1