[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

@habromanic "They both have established pairs separately but I just don't ever disregard their possibility as a pair. (Shin-Lee habit)"

actually shin lee also have the habit of quickly vanquishing some possible pairs: reply 1997 is super obvious so im not gonna commenting on that. In Reply 94, Haitai and Samcheonpo are put as Yoonjin's possible love interest instead of Najung's. Dongryeol in Reply 1988 too, as he used glasses and his personality is too far from Adult Deoksun's husband. 

"Anyway, can't help but comment with the lazy writing slander of Lee. :sweatingbullets: That's such an old tale. :sweatingbullets: It's a classic Shin-Lee slander. I just feel like it's an insult to their hardwork because the only facet that the ones who usually calls them out for that is the narrative of romance"

I also have to disagree with this. Just because writers are critically acclaimed, it doesn't make them immune from criticism, however bad or seemingly invalid that critic is. Maybe because I dislike great film like The Godfather so openly, even among my cinephile friends, that I dont share this sentiment. If Martin Scorsese or George Orwell can be criticized, so can Shin-Lee, even if its just romantic aspect.

• Like 11

@romancetrash Oh yes they have. It happened in Hospital Playlist too: Junwan and Seokhyung are clearly  already out of the possibility by the first three weeks. I mean at the first two weeks, everyone was baited into Junwan and Songhwa and by the fourth episode lines were already clearly drawn. Let's not disregard their habit of dragging narratives for their main couples though.

On your take on criticism, you're free to feel that way. I just shared my own subjective opinion. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@habromanic Brilliant write up as always!!!! You already know that I share the same sentiments with you in regards to Iksong. LOL.

About Jeong won saying that it came out wrong right after he said "It's not Songhwa" no matter how I think about it I can't interpret it as anything else. It's a slip of the tongue, he didn't think much before saying it, it came out of his mouth naturally after his mom tried to pair him up with her. It can't be something like " Deep down I like Songhwa but she is like a forbidden fruit to me so it's not Songhwa" LOLOL. Or it could be "I used to like Songhwa but she doesn't like me back so It's not Songhwa" LOL. These doesn't make sense. Hahaha. I take that statement at face value until it's proven otherwise. 

That said his pause after the "Let's get married" can be interpreted in many ways. I can't help but remember how some people said that he looked uncomfortable after Gyeo ul asked him out, can his reaction to Songhwa also interpreted as uncomfortableness? Other theory is that Song hwa's first love is indeed Jeong won and he probably knew about it too, but he doesn't see her that way and they both have moved on. Now after all these years since she brought it up again, it made him shocked/surprised? Somehow I can't imagine the possibility of both Jeong won and Songhwa being each other's first loves. What made them not pursue their love in their 20s? It can't be same reason as IkJun's, right? I hope they come up with something new and interesting if they go down that route. 

• Like 7
  • Love 5

bC6jTaD.jpg

One camp can interpret this as ‘blurring the line’ effect vs others may interpret this as the ‘dreaming’ effect. How to tell which is the correct explanation? Well it certainly can be either. So depending on the end end game by the writers, one theory will match and another will be labelled as misinterpretation.

This is just one example. There are so much more varied interpretations of what were presented in the show.

But one thing i want to voice out is the term ‘obvious’. With due respect I have to disagree with the mindset “you have to look beyond and the ‘obvious‘ is not the answer”. To me the fact that you/they are seeing things, THAT should be the ‘obvious’ matter. Meaning what ‘obvious’ to you is different to what obvious to me and to them. If you are seeing ‘a romantically  jelous Ik Jun’, then that should be the obvious message you are seeing. But if you are seeing ‘a betrayed Wing man Ik Jun’, that should be the obvious message. Each audience will have their own biasness in seeing the obvious. Sorry if I’m rambling but my point is- we should not label those who see things different from our ‘obvious’ as over-analysing Or lack of analysing since those things are ‘obvious’ to them. (this goes vice versa to both majority and minority camps). 

There’s only one show. But it does feel like people are watching multiple different shows with the amount of theories and interpretations. 

Interesting. Just enjoy the ride folks!

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

Tbh, since we already know that this is a seasonal drama and it will end with an open ending.

We don’t have to focus too much on romance as answers might not be found on episode 12.

As a matter of fact, there were 3 seasons being planned, so we might not even get our answers next year when season 2 is broadcasted.

All we will see might just be more tickles on our minds to keep us thinking.

Maybe one more couple could be formed in season 2 while the rest will keep us guessing, debating and dreaming.

I gonna said this is one hell of a good marketing plot.

Keep guessing and debating, make you curious and sustain the interest on the drama.

Anyway, could we use the same thread for season 2 since majority of the casts should return? Mods, any answer?

• Like 7
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, revel best said:

Shwa is not an innocent child, she is not a virgin either, she dated around too. They may or may not happening, but Why wouldnt be okay to accept his love now? Why? I failed to understand this part. So people with failed marriage cant pursue the one he love? Why?

And later if shwa love him back,, you think it still unfair to her? 

Whats different with meeting a new woman or finally pursue his long time love? Shwa is a new woman in his life too, since he saw her as a friend after he give up on her for a friend. 

Chihong is a good match too.

But Seeing people saying this making me going 'huh?' whats about being a divorcee? 

Its okay for divorcee to fall in love again, but to be with a friend who has been by his side all the time he was in love & married with another, wouldn’t it create complications such as comparison & inferiority later on? Sure SHwa has men in her life but was never serious enuf with any of them to get married to them. Uju mom is different, he must have love her so much to marry her & to even willing to forgive her if she wants to come back to him. But still if SHwa choose to be with IJ, its still fine because at least she understands  him in & out, and will definitely be a good mom to Uju

18 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

About “It’s not SongHwa.” ~ JWon could have answered “There’s nothing between us” if he has no one in mind. But subconsciously he answered that way because he is thinking of a person, which is as he said, it is not SongHwa. 

About “Let’s get married” ~ considering the cultural context of Korean language which sometimes sentences have no pronouns in them, what SongHwa said could be interpreted as “let’s get you married” (CMIIW those expert in the language). As for JWon’s pause and stunned reaction, I see him as being shocked “Don’t you know I want to be a priest? How could you suggest me to go get married?”

I see the pause as really surprised that all of a sudden she is uttering those words. 

She was known as someone who does not date with marriage in mind and if it seems for as long as they have been friends - not once have they talked about getting married and now they suddenly said to get married- it is a shock to the system. What would be the best reply because Jeong Won weren't sure exactly what she meant and he would not rather not judge or offend her. 

The pause to me is "what do you mean?" :D

• Like 10
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, habromanic said:

Anyway, can't help but comment with the lazy writing slander of Lee. :sweatingbullets: That's such an old tale. :sweatingbullets: It's a classic Shin-Lee slander. I just feel like it's an insult to their hardwork because the only facet that the ones who usually calls them out for that is the narrative of romance. There's so much to their stories than that. Let's stay chill with the shipping as much as we can. :) I don't really pull myself into one solid ship (although I always just hope) because I constantly remind myself that this is not my work and whatever happens was already in the cards because the writer is only bringing out the work she made for the viewers. She has her own choices and directions and I respect that. Everyone's free to like it or not though. 

Two big thumbs up for @habromanic  Your post are always mindful and detailed without trying to bring down any characters/ships.

I fully agree with you. i have fav ships, but I am open with all possible ships happen, because my solid ship is Lee-Shin duo. i trust their work in creating a heartwarming drama that will leave big withdrawal symptom in my heart when it ends. 

So far they have created many precious moments in this drama (not just romance) and these moments that I will cherish for :) 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hello this is my first post. I was in this forum for a long time but I can't say anything because I'm not good at English. I just want to share a very nice video about Chi-hong and Song-hwa that I find on youtube. I love Chi-hong and hope he will be with Songhwa in the end. The video maker also share a lot of nice thought about the Chihong ship too. She speaks everything I want to say about Chi-hong Song-hwa.

I agree that it’s too soon to say anything for sure right now. The table can turn anytime in a Shin PD drama. Ten episodes now, and it’s obvious that the PD-writer duo has invested so much in Ik-jun and Song-hwa pairing. Ik-jun’s indirect confession scene is wonderfully written. I love it, and to this point I’m sure whether Song-hwa chooses Ik-jun or Chi-hong, my heart would break for the other one.
The Ik-Song ship is sailing so well now but that doesn’t mean they have to put a stop to the Chi-Song loveline. Song-hwa might reject Chi-hong at first, but you can see that they are not awkward with each other even after his confession, and she has been ease up a lot around him in recent episodes (or is it just me?). We have some character development here as well.
Chi-hong, from a very serious and reserved resident, to someone who actually makes the first move (brush the hair off her jacket scene, where she looked genuine surprised, but not in a bad way) and cracks a joke to make her laugh (foul-language scene).
And Song-hwa, from having no hesitation to call Chi-hong out on his mistakes, to staying silent when he messed up in the OR and trying to look for the reason behind it first instead of scolding him right at the scene. Because she observes him and has faith in him.
I think the dynamic between Chi-hong and Song-hwa has shifted drastically but in a low-key way and audiences often overlook it because they has made it obvious that she rejected him. They have more alone time together, Chi-hong opens up more to her about his personal life, Song-hwa starts to appreciate his true personality now that he’s allowed himself to be open and a little cheeky around her, and from the preview of episode 11, you can see Chi-hong continues to step up by asking her for a birthday present and sharing some of his memories with her. So yes, this ship is still sailing. But I’m not sure if they would be end game. If that’s the case, I would love to see how they will develop the Chi-Song love line from an unrequited crush into something enough to win over Ik-jun’s 20 years of friendship and love.
To be honest, I don’t care that much about who will end up with who. Song-hwa can choose one of them or none of them and I would be fine as long as it’s her choice and she’s happy with it. But I do hope that they will make it convincing enough by giving each character a proper arc while maintaining their continuity throughout the series. If Ik-Song is what they have been planning from the first place, I hope they at least give Chi-hong a proper character development, both personally and professionally, rather than just being a love interest of Song-hwa. He deserves it. I heard there would be 3 seasons? So the possibilities are still there.

Edited by midomido
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Doremi said:

@sakura22  There is a shot of Gyeo Ul’s glasses, phone and id card neatly arranged in the basket when she was sick. Looking at Jeong Won’s habit of cleaning and arranging things may be it was to indicate he was there while they were asleep. This is just a speculation.

EX_f49FVcAETsAM?format=jpg&name=900x900

image credit: @ o_o__1

hi, interesting you mentioned it and it took a while for me to decipher this. 

It is possible that the scene is only to show her reaching over for her phone but it need not be zoomed in that way. It could also be a full shot instead of a one shot. So it is possible that it signifies something and I can come up with multiple different scenarios on this. LOL

1.  Jeong won had visited and arranged the stuff when she was alone, and if so, this will potentially be shown in the flashback in later episodes

2. Before her glasses, she reached over her phone first - which has a special message from Jeong Won and his contact details - which seems to mean that the person in the phone is important, more so than herself and her work. heh. 

3. Message from Jeong won was delivered to Gyeo Ul's phone. Jeong won sent her a message i.e. to that phone and she reached out for that phone first - the common thing is the phone. There is still an exchange between them just not physically and directly. In other words, love was sent and delivered to the right destination and received by the intended recipient. 

Does this indicate that their feelings are reciprocated mutually from that point onwards, although still pretty much concealed from themselves and people around them? Since it happens still virtually? 

4. Phone is a device to store something and in this case can be interpreted as feelings. So Jeong won's precious feelings is kept stored and Gyeo Ul had reached over, opened and read it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if their future developments would happen more from interaction via kakaotalk on phone before we move on to proper physical and verbal interactions and date. 

This is quite fun and not bad at all. :D

• Like 10
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, wildcherry said:

Uju mom is different, he must have love her so much to marry her & to even willing to forgive her if she wants to come back to him

How can u think ij will easily back to her again? She cheated on him :huh: and also, like all his friend keep saying, they get married bcs that ex wife presistenly chase after him. 

3 hours ago, wildcherry said:

wouldn’t it create complications such as comparison & inferiority later on?

If you think this will happen, Isnt this apply on whoever? Not specifically a close friend.

I just hope no one will bring "He deserve more bcs he isnt a divorcee or a divorcee shouldnt do this and that"  kind of topic just to prove a point. Its really upsetting to see that kind of reasoning. 

Everyone deserve love regardless one status anyway. 

• Like 5

With the theory of Flower Garden surfacing now, what do you all think of the lie that JWon had said.

Remembering that he said sometime he does lie, so which is a lie?

• His headache is mild and nothing serious.
  • He telling Rosa that it is not Songhwa
  • He is not interested in Dr Jang

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ryanallright said:

With the theory of Flower Garden surfacing now, what do you all think of the lie that JWon had said.

Remembering that he said sometime he does lie, so which is a lie?

• His headache is mild and nothing serious.
  • He telling Rosa that it is not Songhwa
  • He is not interested in Dr Jang

My biggest fear is the option 1. The frequent headaches that showed so far is too hard to only take it slightly (judging this writer is so detail in creating all of little gestures).
I am worried that writer will use this illness plot to prevent Jeongwon (temporarily) to go to seminary.
I have a feeling the writer will drag this priesthood thing until season 2.

1 minute ago, Cantabile said:

My biggest fear is the option 1. The frequent headaches that showed so far is too hard to only take it slightly (judging this writer is so detail in creating all of little gestures).
I am worried that writer will use this illness plot to prevent Jeongwon (temporarily) to go to seminary.
I have a feeling the writer will drag this priesthood thing until season 2.

Well your theory is possible, since we know there is a season 2 and season 1 will end with open ending. We could see more of this headache occurring.

I think if the illness plot is used, maybe it is not life threatening but serious enough to hinder his plan. But I think to prevent him from traveling, the use of Covid-19 situation will be more valid.

Since all five will return for season 2, i doubt YYS will appear as cameo which also means unlikely to go Italy.

• Like 1