[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

It is very much the case of watching a Prison Playbook reunion unfolding. I'm now waiting for Jung Hae In and Lee Kyu Hyung to front up and do their bickering shtick. ;) Please somebody make it happen. S2 perhaps.

I really like this show and there's undoubtedly a lot going for it. But truth be told, I'm much more engaged when it focuses on the main five and their immediate contemporaries. I'd certainly like to see more of the OBGYN keyboardist, for instance though I'm amused by how the show plays up his Mummy's Boy persona. This is where I think PP really excelled. The ensemble cast in that from top to bottom was absolutely stellar. Here it's much more of a mixed bag in terms of performances. Part of it is the nature of hospitals where the human traffic is more transient. Emotional investment might be an issue. Part of it it seems to me is the double-edged nature of having fresh-faced, wet-behind-the-ears characters that don't necessarily pull you into the narrative immediately. The need to highlight the hierarchical nature of the organization and the complexities is understandable and for the most part fascinating. I can see the difficulties of maintaining some degree of balance in where to focus as far as personnel is concerned. However, I realise that this is only the second episode and I'm happy to just go along for the ride because it is brimming with promise.

I've got to give the showrunners their due because they are doing a great job holding all the disparate elements together... that some shows (which will remain unnamed) can only dream about. :P

Chae Song-hwa seems to be the Wonder Woman not just of the NS department but of the entire hospital. She is nicknamed Ghost because of her superhuman ability to do everything superbly at least professionally. Not only can she do difficult surgery but she is a caring doctor as well as an amazing mentor to her subordinates. My hope is that she doesn't crash and burn because that's always at the back of my mind when I see her massaging her neck. It's ominous. 

I wonder though what goes on inside her head. I have an idea or two as to what drives her from the hints we've been given but I wonder how she really feels about dating and relationships with men. Not because she's a woman but because she didn't seem very upset about Professor Jang's indiscretion. She seemed more upset with Jun-Wan (JKH's character) for not telling her about it first/immediately. Am I reading too much into her stoicism? It begs the question as to how she perceives her future in terms of having a lifelong partner. Is there something about being part of the fivesome that prevents that from happening? There's no lack of good men in her life but I think it's telling that the man she dated turns out to be something of a bad boy. Maybe it's just the fact that all the men she knows are just in awe of her... and intimidated (or married) so that there are slim pickings. :P

(Maybe she's just Diana waiting for her Steve)

Professor Jang took umbrage at Jun-wan's interference and assumed that JW would be motivated by something other than friendship to speak up. Would he say the same if a woman confronted him of said fact? I doubt it. It's clear he's a scumbag of sorts... a veritable weasel who is trying to find wriggle room and skirt the moral ramifications of what he's done by reframing the problem.

More importantly it shows that despite all appearances of being a crotchety skinflint, JW at his core really does care about his friends. He didn't have to put himself out to do this but he was on top of it immediately. The best part is he didn't take responsibility for it and forced Prof Jang to deal with it on his own. Whether any of this implies that JW has latent romantic feelings for SH is still up for grabs. The much more important thing is that he values his lifelong relationships despite the grumpy facade.

Ik-jun mentioned that he is married (in the present tense according to the subs). Which was interesting in the context of that conversation but the other half seems to be noticeably absent. He seems to be caring for his son on his own with the help of grandparents so it raises question marks as to his claim. Has he lost his wife and has trouble letting go? Or is she not living at home for some reason? Whatever it is I am impressed that he is well-trained and the boy seems to be as well. ;)

I also liked how the show subtly highlights how individuals in an organization has their strengths and weaknesses. It's an obvious thing to say. But it is easy to forget in the hustle and bustle of work when nerves are easily frayed under stressful conditions. Not every doctor has the ideal bedside manner for instance. Their EQ might need shaping up. But they might be less squeamish about dealing with the more unpleasant aspects of the job. They ease right into it. 

Furthermore the show also notes that not everyone goes into medicine for the same reasons. It mightn't be altruism that motivates them. It could be about ego, ambition , science or even virtue signalling etc. So rather than try to change people and "make them better doctors" (whatever that means), it might be better to work with them, use their strengths, to get the best outcome for patients. Idealism might be more of a hindrance than a help.

On another note: Watching this show with all the COVID-19 stuff that's going on in SK is very surreal. It's like watching an alternate universe at play.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

I like reading all your insights on this drama. Please keep them coming. Reading this thread and watching the two eps millions of times will help me while waiting for thursday. 

Is it only me or did Song hwa sang just fine in the 2nd ep? LOL

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

7 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Is it only me or did Song hwa sang just fine in the 2nd ep? LOL

I was thinking the same thing. I thought the actress forgot that she is tone-deaf. :D I bet she did not give her all so she was still in character.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Someone in the YT comments has said that the shoes might be from Jun wan because in the 1st ep after the band session Jun wan took her shoes and ran away with it. LOL. So to make up for that, maybe he got her a new pair of shoes now. I mean it's a plausible theory. Maybe it's true, who knows. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Someone in the YT comments has said that the shoes might be from Jun wan because in the 1st ep after the band session Jun wan took her shoes and ran away with it. LOL. So to make up for that, maybe he got her a new pair of shoes now. I mean it's a plausible theory. Maybe it's true, who knows. 

It is plausible. At this moment, I think Jun wan and Song Hwa could have a romantic storyline if the writer wants to go there. Song Hwa recently broke up and I don`t see the relationship of Jun wan with that girl very solid either. Maybe the writer prepared for us "friends turn romantic storyline". Who knows?

I don`t put my imagination go wild . Que sera sera. I accept whatever story the writer wants to tell.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, larus said:

It is plausible. At this moment, I think Jun wan and Song Hwa could have a romantic storyline if the writer wants to go there. Song Hwa recently broke up and I don`t see the relationship of Jun wan with that girl very solid either. Maybe the writer prepared for us "friends turn romantic storyline". Who knows?

I don`t put my imagination go wild . Que sera sera. I accept whatever story the writer wants to tell.

Didn't Jun wan break up with his alcoholic girlfriend. He said he will talk to her about it after she becomes sober. I assumed he did it, only it was not shown to us. I also agree that Junwan and Song hwa seems like they have potential to turn into lovers. LOL. They always hangout with each other too. It would be great. I like their dynamic together. I only wish we won't have another person within the group falling for her too. It will be too messy. Sighh. I want to approach this drama with an open mind, but all these little secrets the writer through at us, you can't help but keep guessing. The mind games are too strong with this one. Sighh. 

• Like 3

Is it just me but i have a feeling that it was IJ who SH has a crush on during their med student days, I sense Reply 1988 feels about this lol. SH will end up with  Jwon (secretly praying for this to happen because i was so heartbroken for chilbongie hahahahaha) but Jwan has a one-sided feelings for SH. 

• Like 1

The moment I saw the teaser on Netflix, I knew I'm gonna love this series and I"M HELLA RIGHT :w00t:

It's true that at first watch, everything can be quite confusing as there are so many names and characters (and the way Netflix romanized these Hangul names aren't easy to follow either... ).. but after rewatching the two episodes, I actually quite enjoy the flow of the stories actually. Very good mix of intense moments, quirks, twists, tears, and laughters.. The cast gives me the feeling of Avenger Doctors of some sort LOL GREAT ACTING SKILLS SO FAR! My favorite is our one-and-only Professor Cha Song Hwa, cool and chill! Chu-ah! :wub:

- Did anyone notice in the first episode, the resident that came out to inform the lady guardian of the son that needs the liver transplant (Ik Jun ended up operating on in place of the injured surgeon) and the elderly mother that has stage 1 cancer was the GS only resident that's always stoic and blunt ??? That darn little brilliant detail even makes sense with her (elaborated more in ep 2) personality...

- All of the 1999 hairdos of OT5 had me in stitches :lol:

- Dr. Cha drank 5 raw eggs ya'll.... FIVE!!!!!! :fearful: I know they're prolly pasteurized but DAYMMM FIVEEEEE?????

- Even on 2nd time watchings, the priests and nuns siblings reveal still managed to make me laugh so much LOL

- UGHHHHH the 'Who's the CRUSH?' game ... haizzz I'm gonna try to not be so emotionally attached to try to guess and jump on any couple ships... but I think the crush was Ik Jun as well (maybe it was just a past crush and any development now with anyone is fair game)

- U JU IS TOO ADORBSSSSSSSSSS :wub:

Thursdays need to come sooner.:unsure:

• Like 4

I keep going back to that Ep 3 preview. I dunno why, that guy that Dr. Jang is sitting next to more and more seems like Ik Jun. Super curious who he might be. Is this the dilemma he will be facing next? Maybe he is estranged with his wife and his friends don't know yet. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

But he returned the shoes and she was seen wearing at the start of the episode.

• Like 1

More details I loved in the galguksu dinner scene:

1) 'Buddha' Jung-won passing SH a tissue after hearing her sniff ONCE. (He's so attentive and thoughtful!:wub:)

ddPita1.gif

2) *Perfect harmony*

Jun-wan: Pass me the chilli powder.

SH: Okay. (drops spoon)

Jung-won: Can we get another spoon please.

ixPos5x.gif

3) Perfect noodle-slurping sound effect Ik-Jun's Ringtone

5k6Q8J7.gif

Dear PD and Writer-nim, please bless us with more scenes of this fabulous five!!!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Hello there, i'll give my predictions.

1. I think (and i hope) its not as complicated as reply series for the crush discovery. Remembering about how the wise prison life, just go with the flow.

2. If the number 1 true, then songhwa-junwan could be really the couple.

Why? Because its kind of obvious of junwan.

1. How junwan always visit songhwa room before he leaves hospital. When the other not.

2. He texted her if she is mad at him just right after they met together! (Which mean he kept thinking that as they eat but choose to text her anyway)

3. How the description of junwan character that stated that no matter how bad his personality but weakness is songhwa.

4. He lied to songhwa that he will go home by taxi after a night shift but eventually being picked up by his girlfriend (ex)  

5. And i think the Hawaii that junwan and jungwon means is related to songhwa. Maybe they all go to hawaii and capture junwan staring lovingly at songhwa or else. And he realized that his friend is in love with songhwa(?) And it became jungwan and jungwon's secret. So Ikjun and Seokhyeon didnt know about that and surprised when jungwon could make junwan agree with the band thing.

6. If the number 5 right, thats answer the suspicious look jungwon throw to junwan then to songhwa when they sang 'lonely night' at Seokhyeon's house.

7. When junwan asking for chili powder and songhwa naturally gave him. And junwan also giving something on songhwa plate.

8. I think songhwa liked ik jun but it kind over now. And junwan likes songhwa. But he not dare to make a obvious move. 

I'm not really sure where songhwa heart goes. But she always potrayed beside junwan, having the same pose, or having just a little chit chat with junwan so i have such a thought that the writer wont make a scene for nothing.

To be honest their personality match.

For jeongwon i thinks his love line will be with the gs resident (dr.jang) or emergency fellow (dr. Bae jun jui).

And seokhyeon...

Will be with one of his resident(?)

Not too sure with seokhyeon tho.

For ik jun, i just want him to have a wife. And just beautiful life. 

His son is adorable.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Day said:

But he returned the shoes and she was seen wearing at the start of the episode.

Hahaha ofcourse he wouldn't make her walk barefoot to her house. She will kill him. It's just a prank/teasing between friends. But I was thinking along the lines of Junwan seeing how worn out her shoes were when he picked it up and bought her a new one for her birthday. It's just a theory. But the easy answer would be Jeong won or the nurse. LOL. We already know how caring and observant Jeong won is towards everyone. So it's highly likely that he is the secret shoe giver. LOL.  

18 minutes ago, jinki21 said:

5. And i think the Hawaii that junwan and jungwon means is related to songhwa. Maybe they all go to hawaii and capture junwan staring lovingly at songhwa or else. And he realized that his friend is in love with songhwa(?) And it became jungwan and jungwon's secret. So Ikjun and Seokhyeon didnt know about that and surprised when jungwon could make junwan agree with the band thing.

Oooooo this is an excellent prediction. Haha. It also explains why Jeong won looked suspicious during the funeral scene in 2nd ep. He looked like he has way too many secrets with him. LOL. C'mon Jeong won ah, spill them one by one. We want to know all about it. 

Also Junwan's character description says that his weakness is Song hwa? That is quite interesting. I didn't know about it.

Very sorry for the back to back posts mods. Mianhe. 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Also Junwan's character description says that his weakness is Song hwa? That is quite interesting. I didn't know about it.

I did not know either. :lol:

2 hours ago, Josh Marquez said:

Is it just me but i have a feeling that it was IJ who SH has a crush on during their med student days, I sense Reply 1988 feels about this lol.

You are not alone. I too believe that Song Hwa had a crush on Ik Jun when they were young and I think I read that other chingus here feel the same. I can`t say that I have something to sustain this, it is my feeling. We could be wrong. :)

2 hours ago, kokodus said:

I also agree that Junwan and Song hwa seems like they have potential to turn into lovers. LOL. They always hangout with each other too. It would be great. I like their dynamic together. I only wish we won't have another person within the group falling for her too. It will be too messy.

Oh, yeah. After 20 years being friends and we`ll might have a love triangle in the future? Big no. I did not watched Reply series so I don`t know how this writer kept the audience hooked, but I hope the writer won`t complicate the love line of her characters. :)

Why I am talking about love triangles right now? I just want to watch this drama and go with the flow. I love ALL FIVE friends.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

19 hours ago, dairymilks said:

I am surprised that Ikjun is married LOL. 

And, again with the subs. :crazy: You won’t be able to appreciate Seokhyung’s S#arp reference if you don’t know the group. :tears: The first thing that crossed my mind when I read the subs was “If DramaFever did this they would’ve added a note.” I think the twins’ names had a pop culture reference, too, given the doctor/resident’s reaction when he knew the girl’s name.

I was curious about this too! So I did some googling.

The twins' names were Jang Hong Do and Jang Yun-bok.

First reaction from the doctor was "I bet you were good at ssireum (korean wrestling) at your school."

My thought is since the male student's name is Jang Hong Do, which sounds similar to Kang Ho Dong, (a famous korean MC/ex-pro wrestler) the doctor made this 'joke'.

Kim Hong-Do on the other hand was a famous painter from Joseon era. Likewise Sin Yun-Bok. Hence the doctor guesses calligraphy and traditional musical instruments as the student's hobbies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gim_Hongdo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_Yun-bok

Another part with korean pop culture reference was when this pregnant woman was asking Seok-hyung the gender of her baby and he kept answering her with names of co-ed groups from the 1990s (Sharp and ZAM) and left the woman puzzled. She only understood when the trainee doctor said "AKMU" lol.

Finally I'm glad that copious watching of korean variety shows allows me to understand more pop culture references made in dramas :lol: Really it isn't that hard for translators on NF to add just one line of note to viewers about such references.<_<

• Like 1
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 4

@im0202 — I laugh so hard with S#arp and Zam being brought up upon my second watch because its totally during the developmental stage of korean idol and plus they were a combi and not all boys or all girls group — I kennat my brain — she wanted someone talented as bts or bp and she’s not fond of AKMU type of singers! NF translation sucks. Really!  

@kokodus found no translation. Each characters — you could see whose story they will fall through. Dr Jang is really under IK. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jinki21 said:

Character Description

the last paragraph on junwan character talking about his weakness over songhwa and show his respect to her.

Hi, can you kindly direct where you found the description? Browsed through the site and only saw some sort of organisational/character chart for the main cast. Didn’t get to the actual description. Thank you!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tootyvirus said:

Hi, can you kindly direct where you found the description? Browsed through the site and only saw some sort of organisational/character chart for the main cast. Didn’t get to the actual description. Thank you!

Click the picture and there will be some of character description in hangul.

@kokodus i also havent found any translation of it. I know a lil bit hangul so i just roughly translate it.

• Thanks 2