[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

4 hours ago, Andrew - said:

There is a conversation before the Umbrella one,

(at 5:56pm)

Chi Hong: Professor, have you eaten?

Song Hwa: Yes, see you later.

ahhh.. but then would it be more straight forward if her answer is: Yes, thank you. 

why see you later? not unless they are seeing each other later... also, the invites from IkJun is out of the blue. There is no plan, it just so happened that it rained, he offered and she accepted at once. 

What time does supper normally start in SKorea? 5:56pm is too early to ask if one has eaten. one would presume that you're just about to eat supper at that time, not unless you have a late lunch and you're still full... the question you would  normally ask/rcvd if someone cares is what is for supper or what do you want to eat? do you want to go out or order a take away?

My take is that he's asking if she has anything to eat during the day, perhaps during breaktime... the question itself is no big deal, we get those qs at work all the time, asking if you already had a break or you had something to eat. I dont think he's planning to ask her out otherwise he would have stated his intention the first time... I think the screenshot is there to show that they do send msgs to each other. Songhwa's reply maybe brief but she doesn't question his motive. 

If she really doesn't want to encourage him, she could have  send a reply and try to deflect like saying why he has to leave an umbrella and that she's fine or make a fuss or an attempt to return the umbrella..something to that effect. But none of those, she just simply took it as if the privilege is hers to take although i think she's amuse that it is small :D

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

ahhh.. but then would it be more straight forward if her answer is: Yes, thank you. 

why see you later? not unless they are seeing each other later... also, the invites from IkJun is out of the blue. There is no plan, it just so happened that it rained, he offered and she accepted at once. 

What time does supper normally start in SKorea? 5:56pm is too early to ask if one has eaten. one would presume that you're just about to eat supper at that time, not unless you have a late lunch and you're still full... the question you would  normally ask/rcvd if someone cares is what is for supper or what do you want to eat? do you want to go out or order a take away?

My take is that he's asking if she has anything to eat during the day, perhaps during breaktime... the question itself is no big deal, we get those qs at work all the time, asking if you already had a break or you had something to eat. I dont think he's planning to ask her out otherwise he would have stated his intention the first time... I think the screenshot is there to show that they do send msgs to each other. Songhwa's reply maybe brief but she doesn't question his motive. 

If she really doesn't want to encourage him, she could have  send a reply and try to deflect like saying why he has to leave an umbrella and that she's fine or make a fuss or an attempt to return the umbrella..something to that effect. But none of those, she just simply took it as if the privilege is hers to take although i think she's amuse that it is small :D

If you look at the cell phone picture again and compare the dates of the texts. The dates are right above the texts.

The texts 'Professor, have you eaten?' and 'Yes, see you later' happened on October 3rd.

Chi-hong's text about the umbrella before she met IJ happened on October 4th.

Spoiler

image.png

7 hours ago, ainipang said:

Maybe im a delulu fan..

What if our flowergarden are already a couple by next week and they keep it secret

Nope not delulu.  The hints are there.  You just need to look hard.  She’s (Writer) hidden it very well.  I get the feeling Jang’s affections may have shifted?  When the mom gave her the BTS coffee and winked, she looked at the coffee and smiled.  Is she thinking about the man who gave her the coffee earlier?  She’s already so chummy with him and is having meals with him outside the hospital.  Both she and MinHa can Karaoke BTS songs with him? :lol:  But in all honesty I don’t think writer will give FlowerGardeners much this season.  She may drop a more obvious hint at the very end to at least make it a possibility but there’s 3 seasons and I don’t think we will see much till next Season.  

@Cantabile

Anyway, one thing I noticed that Lee Writer loves to emphasize a theme of love in her dramas:
1. Love is sacrifice (Reply 1997).
2. Love is not a game/competition (Reply 1994).
3. Love is about timing (Reply 1988).

So I wonder what theme of love she will establish in this drama

Maybe Love is about waiting patiently?  :D  Btw, love your chosen moniker.  I imagine you singing along with the HP band. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, demarchelier said:

Chi-hong's text about the umbrella before she met IJ happened on October 4th.

Im sorry I cant read it. Im just basing on the translations and the interpretation that she lied on her answer bcoz she doesnt want to eat out with Chi-hong, that she prefer to go out with Ikjun, but Chihong is just merely asking if she already eaten. She could just answer Yes, thank you. but instead she said Yes, see you later... in real conversation, see you later doesn't mean a few hours, it could be days or something that is a later event... but its open to suggestions. If you are not interested to a person you wouldn't say that not unless you're looking forward to seeing them 'later' in a figurative way...

Again, with the issue of accepting the umbrella, i know it happened after the operation, they are both still in the hospital  and also Ikjun, Chihong didnt offer to drive her most probably bcoz he's still on duty, That's why he's the one who called her re: emergency. But he did left an umbrella and she took it with her. Again, if she didnt want to encourage him, she could just left it behind. But she didn't say anything... 

Actually, if she had her car she wouldnt need an umbrella bcoz its in the basement of the hospital.. why would chihong knows she might need an umbrella? and why she couldn't find her car the following day, I can only assume that someone drove her to work and park her car in a different space. Though she normally walks to her parking space starting from lower number up, but that day she came from the opposite direction and she was lost for a second.

Don't get me wrong Im not shipping Songhwa and ChiHong, Im just doing my own interpretation of scenes that Ive seen.  We are all viewers of this drama, we watched the same scenes but I don't expect us to have the same views. All depends on our own experiences, circumstances, culture and environment, we will all be differ in our opinion and expectations.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

@Cantabile

Maybe Love is about waiting patiently?  :D  Btw, love your chosen moniker.  I imagine you singing along with the HP band. 

Hahaha, I'm a hardcore fan of Nodame Cantabile (Japan Drama), that's why I choose this nickname :D

• Like 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Actually, if she had her car she wouldnt need an umbrella bcoz its in the basement of the hospital.. why would chihong knows she might need an umbrella? and why she couldn't find her car the following day, I can only assume that someone drove her to work and park her car in a different space. Though she normally walks to her parking space starting from lower number up, but that day she came from the opposite direction and she was lost for a second.

It is odd isn’t it?  I thought so too. :lol:  The dots can’t be joined in a logical fashion.  Probably means it’s a spliced scene and PD and Writer have left out important details which they will reveal later?  It’s a device they have used routinely in all their other productions. :)  Hopefully they will reveal this before the end of S1.  But I think they will keep SHwa’s choice as a final reveal closer to the end of the final season.  That’s how they have worked in the past yeah?  They reveal the potential suitors bit by bit but they withhold the choice of the FL.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, nhquan94 said:

Dont know if anybody said it here or not, but if Captain Ahn is meeting SW then he should have stand up greetings his professor instead of sitting waving hand like beckoning his friend like that.

I saw the below comment in a fanpage and think it is very reasonable :)

Agreed. I think it's just the camera trick to mislead the viewers. Chihong's greeting will not that "casual" if he meets Songhwa. 

This Lee-Shin duo love use this kind of tricks in their previous dramas. 

Even the previews are all misleading, so let's not expect too much :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew - said:

he scene where SH reads the message that Chihong sends her on the umbrella portion, it is around 12:38am.

The night prior she was having dinner with IkJun who asked her out to eat during the rainy night, before being emergency summoned by Chihong due to the 13 year old patient.

If you take a close look at the messages (after the surgery scene),

There is a conversation before the Umbrella one,

(at 5:56pm)

Chi Hong: Professor, have you eaten?

Song Hwa: Yes, see you later.

Which means at 5:56pm SH told Chi Hong that she has eaten. But during the restaurant scene, as the youtuber pointed out,

IkJuin and Songhwa were having dinner at around 7.40~ish pm

I have watched the said YT clip, but I have to wonder about the dates.

One is on October 3, the other is October 4. Clock format is not the 24-hour format (5:56 vs 17:56)

So it could be two different evenings.

Anyway, it could also mean that the two of them meeting on the evening of October 3, while the emergency surgery (dinner with IJ, umbrella text) happened on the evening of October 4.

Can anyone tell what was ACH reply after SH said "see you later"? It's only one word, but too blurry.

Btw, her reply is more like a "see you soon" instead of "see you later". I feel that their relationship seems to have gotten closer. If that is the case, then no, he doesn't really have to stand up to greet her. It would be perfectly normal for him to wave while sitting down.

The carpark where SH was looking for her car was not the hospital carpark. It must be her residence. The hospital carpark would have a combination of a letter and two digits (eg: B-04)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

52 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I have watched the said YT clip, but I have to wonder about the dates.

One is on October 3, the other is October 4. Clock format is not the 24-hour format (5:56 vs 17:56)

So it could be two different evenings.

Anyway, it could also mean that the two of them meeting on the evening of October 3, while the emergency surgery (dinner with IJ, umbrella text) happened on the evening of October 4.

Can anyone tell what was ACH reply after SH said "see you later"? It's only one word, but too blurry.

Btw, her reply is more like a "see you soon" instead of "see you later". I feel that their relationship seems to have gotten closer. If that is the case, then no, he doesn't really have to stand up to greet her. It would be perfectly normal for him to wave while sitting down.

The carpark where SH was looking for her car was not the hospital carpark. It must be her residence. The hospital carpark would have a combination of a letter and two digits (eg: B-04)

On the dates itself, it is, it is exactly as what you have said (due to timings). The likely scenario (based on their conversations and mannerisms especially) would be:

(Dinner on october 3rd, surgery during evening of the 3rd, which ended late into early morning of the 4th)

Timeline:

5.56pm - Chihong ask Songhwa if she had eaten, Songhwa replies.

Between 5.56pm - 7.40pm - Ikjun asks Songhwa out to eat on the rainy night

7.40pm - They were having their dinner before getting the emergency call

She had to do an emergency surgery for the 13 yo patient, which ended late into 12xxam the next day. (Ikjun was waiting for her during the time)

Hence, when Ikjun called, her first response was: 'What? Why are you calling me at this hour?' 

Now do we have any actual neurosurgeons here? how long do these kind of surgeries normally last? haha that could actually help establish the scenario. :D

On the word you mentioned, its "넵!", which is sort of a like a 'Yep'.

Note: that this whole scenario only helps to establish Songhwa's attitude towards Chihong, and not towards Ikjun. They are old friends so we do not have to take this romantically in any sense (though Ikjun waiting for her from 7pm to 12am is kinda suspect haha).

edit:

In case anyone is still having doubts on the am/pm:

image.png

오전 12:38 - 12:38 AM

오후 5:56 - 5:56 PM

Edited by Andrew -
  • Insightful 5

18 minutes ago, Andrew - said:

Now do we have any actual neurosurgeons here? how long do these kind of surgeries normally last? haha that could actually help establish the scenario.

Not a neurosurgeon but from memory the girl had ICH?  Intracranial hemorrhage?  I forget.  But if it’s just to relieve the pressure in the brain then an hour or 2?   Where was the bleed exactly?  It really depends on where the bleed is, how extensive it is and how easy it is to access.  The harder it is to access and the more complicated the procedure, the longer it will take. 

https://weillcornellbrainandspine.org/condition/intracerebral-hemorrhage/surgery-intracerebral-hemorrhage

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

28 minutes ago, Andrew - said:

Now do we have any actual neurosurgeons here? how long do these kind of surgeries normally last? haha that could actually help establish the scenario. :D

On the word you mentioned, its "넵!", which is sort of a like a 'Yep'.

I think surgery time will really depend on what is the operation is about... :sweatingbullets:

Since you know Korean, is 넵 something one will normally use with their professors? And is it true that the way SH replied him is more like a "see you soon" instead of "see you later"?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think surgery time will really depend on what is the operation is about... :sweatingbullets:

Since you know Korean, is 넵 something one will normally use with their professors? And is it true that the way SH replied him is more like a "see you soon" instead of "see you later"?

My korean knowledge is really basic, I can read (literally) and write, but I wont be of much help if you are asking on the actual meaning of the word and whether it is something one will use with their professors.

What I can say is having watch many many dramas, 넵 is more of an enthusiastic 'Yes' that one will use towards someone that is higher in seniority.

As for the see you soon/see you later, I think either way it makes sense (from a work perspective) since they have to interact quite a lot during work.

• Like 1

Chu Min-Ha Relay Cam feat. the boys from the Lacking 5

Chu Min-Ha has same energy as Gyeo-ul when she questioned her Prof lol they are true besties:D

pMInlYk.gif

Plus YYS here is all of us when we ask PD-nim who’s gonna end up with who but we keep waiting week after week :weary:

4X3TJmP.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cantabile said:

PS: Until Ep 9, I still can't see Chihong as Songhwa's potential loveline. I feel Songhwa only viewed him as a reliable mentee. But I can be wrong though, I'm not too good in guessing this writer's direction :sweatingbullets:

The reason I said this because Lee Writer usually build the strong foundation of mutual connection/understanding (like a "click" moment) for her potential OTP, just like she did for Seokhyung-Minha, Songhwa-Ikjun & Jeongwon-Gyeowool (Junwan-Iksun is the exception because I still don't know why Junwan can madly in love with Iksun, their progress is too fast for my liking :sweatingbullets:).

And I did not see yet this "click" moment between Songhwa-Chihong. It doesn't help that I always get Chilbong's vibe whenever I see Chihong. The moment Ikjun realized that Chihong like Songhwa has the same vibe with Trash realized that Chilbong like Najung.
I feel Chihong's role will be a catalyst for Ikjun to realize that he still has lingering feeling for Songhwa. And I doubt he will miss his second chance.

But.... since there are still 3 episodes + 2 season left, anything possible can happen. Lee Writer can create this "click" moment for Songhwa-Chihong in next episodes/next season if she decide they will be the endgame.
Until then, I feel Ikjun still has an upperhand in this triangle love :)

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cantabile said:

(Junwan-Iksun is the exception because I still don't know why Junwan can madly in love with Iksun, their progress is too fast for my liking :sweatingbullets:).

I think this is the reason why Im not that attached with this couple. While it is true that sometimes people fall in love without deep reason or knowing each other for a long time, those kind of love stories dont offer much emotions for me??

I mean, theyre able to be last this long, but I cant dont see why.

2 hours ago, ainipang said:

Why are they called 99s group? I may missing somrthing since im not watching it the detail very much

Because all of them entered SNU at 1999

• Like 3