[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Gank Your Heart 陪你到世界之巅

Lynne

13 hours ago, starangel001 said:

Hi everyone, I'm a new member! :) I watched the whole episodes on this drama with English subtitles and without it. I really enjoy the drama, especially because of Wang Yibo. I enjoyed him in The Untamed (but I knew him from a Chinese-Korean boy group, UNIQ), so after I was done with that drama, I came to watch this and I must say that I really loved the chemistry between the main leads and their best friends are the best friends they have :) As I found this website, I came here in a light of speed haha If you guys don't mind, I would like to make friends with 'Gank Your Heart' fandom here :) 

Welcome, @starangel001!!!   It's always fun to see new faces (names) in this thread!  And you've certainly come to the right place to gush about GYH.  ;) 

I think I've operated in the reverse of you.  Because of this drama, I've gotten to know WYB and his group, Uniq.  I haven't watched Untamed (and don't plan on it), but I've been watching past episodes of Day Day Up instead because of him.  Heh. 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@raziela, in response to your post re: the recaps for Episode 33...

Two more eps to go to complete the Head Pat and Fist Pump count (love that you have kept a running total :D)  just wanted to say I appreciate all the little details you notice even down to the words on the sign in QY's room.

LOL, when @lynne22 and I first started watching this drama, the fist bumps was something we would squee over.  I jokingly commented that i was going to rewatch just to see how many times it actually happened, and then I started to rewatch in order to recap so it very naturally became thing.  The head pat got added on later and if I were to be honest, I now have an "arm around the shoulder" count going on the side too.  I didn't reveal that before lest y'all think I'm  crazier than I already am.  Hahahaha.  This is a safe space though, right???? *looks around furtively*  :ph34r:

As for the signage on the back of QY's door, I admit that's not something I noticed either until I was recapping Episode 33.  Because I start/stop so much to translate lines, my line of vision often ends up getting drawn to the background as well as the foreground when I'm recapping.  It's one of the reasons why I have persisted even though the drama is now fully subbed (well, that and because every once in a while I've noticed either a gap or error in the subs, so I might as well keep recapping to fill those spots).

- This is the first episode where I was disappointed in XK.  I understand he was in a difficult position and felt guilty and obligated to help Miya but doesn't he also have a commitment to his girlfriend? To the team he was neglecting to practice with? QY is a very understanding and mature girlfriend.  All he had to do was communicate with her a little instead of completely shutting her out. Bad XK

He does and I share in your disappointment, as well, but I suppose in his defense, judging from what he said to Sun Ge later it sounds like the reason he didn't communicate with the others and particularly QY was he was afraid if he did, he would end up making them share in what he felt was his own responsibility to bear.  Sighs... NOBLE IDIOCY.  One day I'm going to write a drama that's called, 'Communication 101," and all the characters will get along because they communicate their thoughts and feelings at all times . . . and it will probably only last one episode, two at most.  :joy:

I'm not sure how convincing i found QX suddenly seeing the error of her ways but it's good she finally gets it.

Ugh, I know, I hated Qiao Xin for so much of the drama that to see her finally get a clue in the end and "redeem" herself... I don't know.  I kind of wish the drama had just left them at getting their punishment and being done with them.  I really don't want to think of Qiao Xin as being a better person now because I'm already programmed to not like her.  But I suppose for her, yes, it is good that she finally sees the errors of her way and hopefully she will be a better person in the future.

up to her return I thought Miya was quite a reasonable and sympathetic female second lead.  But her behaviour after the accident was just ridiculous. Was she just planning to pretend to be blind forever or just for a few more months, years and suddenly regain her sight?  Did she think guilt and duty was going to turn into true love eventually?

I still find Miya to be a pitiable character.  She's clearly grasping at straws at this point and for all the same reasons as before, I get why.  She needs to move on and she just hasn't been able to.  Fortunately, by the end of the drama, she gets there and I think her new life path will be a good one for her.  She's been living in the past, but now she's setting out to find a future for herself.

- Xia Ling is such a good little brother worrying about his sister.

Xia Ling's complete irreverence towards XK when they first meet is something that never fails to amuse me.  I just love how protective he is as a little brother.  It makes me curious to know how the dynamics of their relationship will operate in the future... on the one hand, they'll be brothers-in-laws, but they'll also be teammates too with XK their revered captain.  One thing's for certain, Xia Ling will always look out for his big sis (and vice versa).

- Xia Ling is such a good little brother worrying about his sister.

Seriously!!!  Even Sun Ge gave some good advice, too.  This is why I love all the friendships in this drama.  

In conclusion: Team Phoenix are the best!

YES THEY ARE!  In the wise words of Sun Ge, they're not just a team, they're a family.  :heart:

@themarchioness Xia Ling's complete irreverence towards XK when they first meet is something that never fails to amuse me.  I just love how protective he is as a little brother.  It makes me curious to know how the dynamics of their relationship will operate in the future... on the one hand, they'll be brothers-in-laws, but they'll also be teammates too with XK their revered captain.  One thing's for certain, Xia Ling will always look out for his big sis (and vice versa).

I really love how protective he is towards Qiu Ying. And that first meeting with Xiang Kong also amused me as he is being protective towards his sister haha I'm also curious of how their dynamics will become, but as I can see, Xia Ling is starting to show his respect to XK as his captain, but as a brother-in-law, XK is getting there but not quite yet because he completely closed off on QY after Miya's return of an accident. However, XK is getting there, as long as he is good to QY, Xia Ling will surely cheer for them :) This makes me want to see season 2 of this drama. I want to know XK and QY's relationship developed, or how will the unexpected incident occurred (and I want to know about QY's past besides her family, and how she survived after she left her home if, IF she didn't have any supports (BF) back then, other than her best friend), how will our main leads face their problems together? How will XK's relationships with Xia Ling and QY's family developed? And will we see XK's family cause we never hear him talk about his family at all, or does he really have no family? Cause from what Miya had talked about her past with Xiang Kong was that they both were poor and couldn't even afford any food, so I wonder if he really don't have his parents...

PS. Talking about what Miya said, about how she and XK were so poor back then, and they only had each other for support, but then, in the present, both XK and QY were also left with almost nothing after they left their companies (due to misunderstanding controversies), and just like what what happened with him and Miya, he and QY helped each other to get XK back to his dream by helping each other forming his own team. But then, after YX sold all his trophies to terminate his contract with Legends team to join Phoenix, XK sold everything, he even sold his favorite motorbike for YX to join his team. So I see the counterparts between Miya and Xiang Kong/Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong relationships there. If first love is not easily to forget, I'm sure last love is harder to forget and is stronger of hold; what I'm trying to say is that even though the first love between Miya and Xiang Kong are not easy to forget, but I think it would be even harder for Xiang Kong to forget Qiu Ying as his last love (IF she is his last love, but I'm sure she is) and their relationship will hold stronger, and even be deeper than his relationship with Miya back then. As for Qiu Ying, I'm still not sure if Xiang Kong's her first love or her last love, or both. Oh yeah, forgot another thing, the relationship between Qui Ying and Xiang Kong must really be fate because I just noticed that when one fall, the other fall as well, and when one rise, the other rise too, it's like they are meant to be. Also, as for 5 years ago, when Miya and Xiang Kong had nothing but each other at that time, Qiu Ying also left her home and had no supports at that time too, and then they met at the time when they were both on the brinks of losing their positions and careers, they are totally meant to be.

@themarchioness No need to apologies for the lack of recaps.  You have already done so much and I'm sure we all understand what it's like when real life gets in the way of drama watching!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my ramblings!

On 9/8/2019 at 8:15 PM, themarchioness said:

For me, I wouldn't say that Gu Fang was weak but rather, we just never really saw him. 

Sorry! I meant that the actor was weak as in I didn't think he was a very good actor. So between the mediocre acting and the lack of screentime for Gu Fang I wasn't particularly attached to the character.

Why then couldn't she switch gears in the book if she felt she had more purpose being a leader/manager for the team?  I think it's more important knowing that QY is living with usefulness and purpose, and I've no doubt that's exactly what she would be doing if she remained with Phenix.  The drama makes it sound like all she did was cook and wash YX's smelly socks, but I imagine there's a lot more to the job than that!  Just think of what Zhao Yang and Li Gan had to do (apart from all the negative stuff that they did :P).   

I would agree and I don't think I would have minded so much if we saw more of the business side like negotiating sponsors, liaising with officials, etc where saw her use her abilities but the drama made it seem like after the initial excitement of setting-up of the team QY's role was a glorified housekeeper. I couldn't see the driven and motivated QY settling for just that.

100% agree with this!  One of my favorite aspects of his character was how he just took all the blame and criticisms in stride and never let it bother him (too much).  That's some strength of character and confidence, right there!  There's also something very sweet about seeing how everyone misunderstands him, but knowing that QY is the one person who understands him very well and gets to "interpret" him for the world to see.  Her final speech during the game replay at the "Tomorrow's Star" competition will forever be a favorite for just that fact alone.

Yes to all of this!  He was almost martyr-like.  He would calmly accept criticism and only retaliated if the people he cared about were affected like when Team Dragon (I think?) started badmouthing QY.  In the games he was the puppetmaster and tactician but the praise and glory went to the more showy players.  In another typical drama he would have had a breakthrough and become the star MVP player but that wasn't XY's modus operandi and he was fine with it as long as the team performed well.

Actually, many of the early episodes were at least 15 minutes shorter than the later episodes.  I think if they'd made all the episodes the same (longer) length, they could've given us more without even having to add more episodes.  Overall, I'm satisfied with how the drama wrapped up, but I certainly wouldn't complain if they had given us more.  After all, the final wrap up with QY was very fast given that they also had to work in that scene with XK and Gu Fang. 

I wished all the episodes had been the longer length so they could fit more in.  It's a pity the pivotal Team Phenix episodes were crammed into the final eight episodes and it's not fair we have to watch seperate epilogues to glimpse how things turned out for the characters.

Essentially, he was risk averse and sometimes it's only when you take risks that's how you can succeed.  Shu Wen understood that and that's why ultimately they had to part ways; their visions were just too different.

I'm actually surprised they lasted as long as they did working together with their different mindsets and even lasted one day after the cringe worthy proposal stunt.  Who in their right mind proposes to a co-worker you are not even dating and has shown zero romantic interest in you? :blink: 

Obviously they were talking about the world championships, but it also seemed fitting that he would literally take her to the top of a really tall building to see "more beautiful scenery," like they always talked about, and one that included fireworks which she loved and he knew. 

Ooohhh! I didn't think of the correlation to the top of the building and their shared dram to reach the top  OK that makes more sense but it was still filmed awkwardly and I wanted a KISS!!!!!:kiss_wink:

but for Shu Wen . . . all's I have to say is, in my head, I've already worked it all out.  She joins the Phenix team officially after this season and helps XK to grow the team for future

That's what I was expecting would happen after she resigned from VNG: Shu Wen would become the coach for Team Phoenix and be able to coach successfully in the more flexible environment with players she liked and trusted....but that didn't happen and she was looking after Sun Ge's business and then becoming manager after QY.  I guess we will just have to headcanon that she became their coach too because it's a shame if her abilities were wasted.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:55 PM, themarchioness said:

The head pat got added on later and if I were to be honest, I now have an "arm around the shoulder" count going on the side too.  I didn't reveal that before lest y'all think I'm  crazier than I already am.  Hahahaha.  This is a safe space though, right???? *looks around furtively*  :ph34r:

:lol: Go ahead! You're among friends here ha ha!  I wish we could keep a kiss count too but there's not much to count when there was a grand total of 1 kiss -_- (I won't count the kiss XY forces on her before all the leaking tactics drama).

On 9/8/2019 at 8:55 PM, themarchioness said:

I'm going to write a drama that's called, 'Communication 101," and all the characters will get along because they communicate their thoughts and feelings at all times . . . and it will probably only last one episode, two at most.  :joy:

I would watch it so you have a guaranteed audience of at least one...so it probably still wouldn't last long :lol:

Welcome to the thread @starangel001 :D

On 9/9/2019 at 7:18 AM, starangel001 said:

I really love how protective he is towards Qiu Ying. And that first meeting with Xiang Kong also amused me as he is being protective towards his sister haha I'm also curious of how their dynamics will become, but as I can see, Xia Ling is starting to show his respect to XK as his captain, but as a brother-in-law, XK is getting there but not quite yet because he completely closed off on QY after Miya's return of an accident. However, XK is getting there, as long as he is good to QY, Xia Ling will surely cheer for them :) This makes me want to see season 2 of this drama. I want to know XK and QY's relationship developed, or how will the unexpected incident occurred (and I want to know about QY's past besides her family, and how she survived after she left her home if, IF she didn't have any supports (BF) back then, other than her best friend), how will our main leads face their problems together? How will XK's relationships with Xia Ling and QY's family developed? And will we see XK's family cause we never hear him talk about his family at all, or does he really have no family? Cause from what Miya had talked about her past with Xiang Kong was that they both were poor and couldn't even afford any food, so I wonder if he really don't have his parents...

Same! I really would like to see QY and XK's relationship develop. I was disappointed that once they did get together their relationship didn't get much screentime or development and, to be honest, their interactions were not that different from when they were "just friends" except XK sometimes now puts his arm around her or they held hands. Still adorable but I was kind of hoping for more after the slow burn development of their relationship :sweatingbullets:

I really would have loved to see more interaction between XK and QY's family in his capacity as QY's boyfriend.

I totally agree about wanting to know more about XK background. Very strange for a male lead to be so mysterious! Who is he? Where is he from? What happened to his family? What did he do before he became a profession gamer? When and how did he meet Miya? Aside from his romantic history with Miya we know nothing about XK before joining Legends.

I wanted to see how QY survived after she left her family? Because considering she has been surviving on her own for about 5 years or so she sometimes is surprisingly naive in the drama. Yi Yi seemed to have more street smarts than her a lot of the time.

@angelangie Welcome to the thread! Great you are enjoying  the drama so far :)

Hello guys! 

New member here also! Net searching after watching episode 35 made me go “huh, is this it?” I have been watching it on “dramavery” alllll the way from Australia (I am obsessed with Asian dramas and binge watch them before bed every night haha) but I can see on the episode list there is an episode 36 & 37 that are not viewable yet? So does this mean there are still two more episodes to go that just haven’t aired?

thanks so much   

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

actually you didnt miss much :) 

they didnt get married hahaha....

Reveal hidden contents

the part where XK got his bike back is shown :) 

With them still so young, early 20s, were people really expecting them to get married?  I don't know, I don't need every drama to end that way for it to be a Happily Ever After.  It's enough to know they're in a happy, established relationship, which means that eventually when the timing is right for them, they will.  ;)  

Just use your imaginations to keep the story going... for example, Team Phenix makes it to another World Championships and that's when he proposes.  :P  

@Roundcheeksandpitterpatter, welcome to the thread!  You can refer back to this post for the link to the special episodes: 

9 hours ago, raziela said:

Same! I really would like to see QY and XK's relationship develop. I was disappointed that once they did get together their relationship didn't get much screentime or development and, to be honest, their interactions were not that different from when they were "just friends" except XK sometimes now puts his arm around her or they held hands. Still adorable but I was kind of hoping for more after the slow burn development of their relationship :sweatingbullets:

I really would have loved to see more interaction between XK and QY's family in his capacity as QY's boyfriend.

I totally agree about wanting to know more about XK background. Very strange for a male lead to be so mysterious! Who is he? Where is he from? What happened to his family? What did he do before he became a profession gamer? When and how did he meet Miya? Aside from his romantic history with Miya we know nothing about XK before joining Legends.

I wanted to see how QY survived after she left her family? Because considering she has been surviving on her own for about 5 years or so she sometimes is surprisingly naive in the drama. Yi Yi seemed to have more street smarts than her a lot of the time.

@angelangie Welcome to the thread! Great you are enjoying  the drama so far :)

Exactly, I also never seen a male lead being so mysterious, not knowing anything about him before he became a professional gamer, aside from his relationship with Miya.

And about Qiu Ying, I'm not really sure if she really survived through 5 years on her own. I think if she didn't have supports from any sort of relationship guidance, she must have had supports from her friends and stuff. I agree with you that Yi Yi seems to have more street smarts than QY a lot of times.

3 hours ago, angelangie said:

hahaha.....well some thought they wll fast forward the year pacing....though i like the ending or the special they did....it kinda give a closure to all the teams :) 

Forgive the bluntness... but why would anyone have an expectation that there would be a time jump?  There are a lot of complaints about the ending I can understand, for example: hoping for a kiss when they were on the top of the building and/or wanting at least one more scene of the OTP together beyond just the reunion on stage at the world championships, but to anticipate a time jump when there was no indication that would happen... no offense, but that says more about the viewer's expectations than it does about the drama, and I don't think the drama can be faulted for that.

10 hours ago, angelangie said:

actually i have finish the whole drama :D 

Wow!  That was fast! It took me about two weeks!

7 hours ago, Roundcheeksandpitterpatter said:

Hello guys! 

New member here also! Net searching after watching episode 35 made me go “huh, is this it?” I have been watching it on “dramavery” alllll the way from Australia (I am obsessed with Asian dramas and binge watch them before bed every night haha) but I can see on the episode list there is an episode 36 & 37 that are not viewable yet? So does this mean there are still two more episodes to go that just haven’t aired?

thanks so much   

Welcome to the thread!:)  The special epilogue episode @themarchioness linked in the post above gives closure for nearly all the characters.  I'm the same as you as I hadn't come to this forum I wouldn't even know there were special episodes showing the ending for everybody so I'm very grateful to the kind people on this thread :blush:

5 hours ago, themarchioness said:

With them still so young, early 20s, were people really expecting them to get married?  I don't know, I don't need every drama to end that way for it to be a Happily Ever After.  It's enough to know they're in a happy, established relationship, which means that eventually when the timing is right for them, they will.  ;)  

They are young but I've seen lots of characters in C-dramas get married in their mid-20s and younger so it wouldn't be unusual and XK was living with Miya when they were together.

At the beginning I thought XK and QY would end up married or at least living together because of how much QY wanted her own home and family but she is still Yi Yi's roommate at the end. I guess she found a "family" with Team Phoenix and she finally reconciled with her real family so having her own place was no longer as important.

1 hour ago, starangel001 said:

Exactly, I also never seen a male lead being so mysterious, not knowing anything about him before he became a professional gamer, aside from his relationship with Miya.

Right? XK is still a great character but it is very strange.  It seems like the only thing he did before joining Team Legends was be Miya's boyfriend!:lol: I assume there is more about XK in the web novel but the drama didn't bother to cover it.

1 hour ago, starangel001 said:

And about Qiu Ying, I'm not really sure if she really survived through 5 years on her own. I think if she didn't have supports from any sort of relationship guidance, she must have had supports from her friends and stuff. I agree with you that Yi Yi seems to have more street smarts than QY a lot of times.

Thank goodness for Yi Yi!  she is such a great best friend.  I loved how she would act like Qiu Ying's protective parent :lol:

47 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Forgive the bluntness... but why would anyone have an expectation that there would be a time jump?  There are a lot of complaints about the ending I can understand, for example: hoping for a kiss when they were on the top of the building and/or wanting at least one more scene of the OTP together beyond just the reunion on stage at the world championships, but to anticipate a time jump when there was no indication that would happen... no offense, but that says more about the viewer's expectations than it does about the drama, and I don't think the drama can be faulted for that.

“Says more about the viewers expectations?” Wow haha. The investedness in replies over a simple comment is amusing. All I was curious about was 1. What ep 36 & 37 was and 2. That I would’ve liked to have seen more. The fast forward was an example of progression so calm your farm. Did you produce it? Did your family? If so, I apologise. Differentiating opinions are not very welcome are they. Meow 

@raziela Yeah, she's even more protective of Qiu Ying than Qiu Ying's own father hahaha Oh yeah, talking about QY's past, I actually want to know what did she do before she became a host. Okay, maybe she was just a university student, I guess. But if she cut herself off from her family, and if she had to survived herself, then she had to find a part time job for the university and stuff.

On 9/9/2019 at 2:18 AM, starangel001 said:

Actually, I think we already get a glimpse of how XK and Xia Ling will juggle their dual relationships in the future given how they continued to live and work together after QY left.  He could've lashed out at XK after his sister made the decision to leave in the middle of the night.  Instead. he went along with the others and let XK and QY resolve their own issues.  It's almost as if they were able to compartmentalize their roles depending on how they were interacting in that particular moment.  Probably works out for the best and I've no doubt, they'll be forever happy teammates and extended family members.  ;)  

As for all your other questions, many of which are shared by @raziela, I think it's a testament to the drama that we are so curious to know more and eager to see more!  

Regarding XK's background, it's not so unknown as the drama implies it (and I think the novel is more explicit about it), but XK is an orphan just like Miya.  That's why their lives became so intertwined and how they grew up together.  As for how he's survived all these years, even going to university and everything, I think that's getting into the weeds of things that I'm not sure we really want to know the answer to.  It's kind of like wanting to know how QY was able to survive on her own after leaving her family.  Do we really want to know?  From what I can tell from the drama, however she's managed it,  it seems pretty unrealistic.  As an example, it does not escape my notice that somehow QY was able to purchase her apartment despite not using any money from her family and having an entrance-level job straight out of university.  There's no way that could happen in real life!  And so, IMO, it's better to not spend too much time wondering about such details and better to gloss it over and treat it as one of those drama truths, because otherwise you just want to facepalm as you think to yourself, "This is not possible..."  Kind of like how I struggle to ignore the fact that when QY left the Phenix training base, her room was still filled with her things but when XK entered it several hours later, the walls were nearly empty of all her things.  :P 

As for wanting to know how XK and QY's family will get along, I imagine very well.  There might be some initial hesitation given the behavior that XK has twice witnessed from Xia Ling's mother, but I imagine she would be apologetic for the things she said/did in the past and XK would know that even QY has reconciled with her.  We already know QY's dad approves of their relationship, and from the epilogue clip we know the parents like them so much that they're trying to cook a feast for them, and QY especially.  Definitely though, if I'm struck with any fanfic urges after I finish recapping this drama, I think the first 'official' meeting between XK and the parents would be an idea I'd want to tackle.

@raziela, as for your specific question about what XK did before he became a professional gamer, I don't think he's ever done anything else as I recall from that one conversation he had with QY (where he explains why he doesn't want to join a non-Chinese team) he mentioned being scouted while still in university after participating in an iConquer competition.  He joined the pros after graduating, but he didn't really hit the big times until Sun Ge hooked him up with Gu Fang and he joined Legends. 

[In the book, I remember @lynne22 telling me that Miya and XK's story was actually more depressing and pitiful in the book compared to the drama.  As in the drama, they're childhood sweethearts, but she eventually went to Korea for her career and he followed her there to to start a career in esports.  Both of them had a hard time getting their careers off the ground there (with XK having to take on extra jobs just to afford food), which is not so different from in the drama, I suppose, except that it sounds like in the book, you get to know more about their struggles.  Eventually, they separated and XK returned to China where things continued to be not easy.]

11 hours ago, raziela said:

I think @lynne22 once said it best when she described the time in which they "just friends" (but more or less dating based on their actions) as the time in which they acted more like a couple that was dating, and that once they were together officially, they acted more like a married couple.  I think that's why they came across as more low key after they got together.  Also, I think another reason for the "lack" if that's what you want to call it, is because the drama was never just about their relationship but also focused heavily on XK's journey to the world championships and the teams he lost, joined, and formed along the way.  We shouldn't forget that there were episodes in the middle where the OTP never even saw each other but would maybe exchange a text message.  One way to look at that data point is to think of it as confirming that the drama didn't give us enough scenes of the OTP together, but I actually think it serves to emphasize/remind that the focus of this drama and its story was more than just the romance.  

On 9/9/2019 at 2:18 AM, starangel001 said:

So I see the counterparts between Miya and Xiang Kong/Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong relationships there. If first love is not easily to forget, I'm sure last love is harder to forget and is stronger of hold; what I'm trying to say is that even though the first love between Miya and Xiang Kong are not easy to forget, but I think it would be even harder for Xiang Kong to forget Qiu Ying as his last love (IF she is his last love, but I'm sure she is) and their relationship will hold stronger, and even be deeper than his relationship with Miya back then.

There are definitely parallels between Miya and QY, so I can see why Miya was so convinced that XK was only with QY because she reminded him of her, just as how QY was able to be so easily convinced that XK was only with her because she reminded him of her.  But there are differences between the two woman as well, and those differences made all the difference with XK.  A big factor was he'd already given up Miya the minute he broke up with her and never looked back; he accepted then that they belonged to two different worlds.  He and QY, on the other hand, they belong to literally the same world since they're both involved in epsorts.  How handy for them!  ;)  Also, he has no reason to give QY up, so I agree.  Theirs is the relationship that is destined to go the distance!  :wub:

1 hour ago, Roundcheeksandpitterpatter said:

“Says more about the viewers expectations?” Wow haha. The investedness in replies over a simple comment is amusing. All I was curious about was 1. What ep 36 & 37 was and 2. That I would’ve liked to have seen more. The fast forward was an example of progression so calm your farm. Did you produce it? Did your family? If so, I apologise. Differentiating opinions are not very welcome are they. Meow 

Um.  Well, first of all, I would say my reply was not directed at you.  Otherwise I would've either tagged your name or quoted one of your earlier posts to reply directly to.  Rather, I was replying to @angelangie's observation that there were "people" who had expected a time jump/fast forward.  And by "people," I assumed she was referring to people elsewhere on the Internet who had expressed disappointment over the lack of a time jump -- because I'm pretty familiar with all the posts in this thread and can assure you that prior to her post, no one here had complained about the lack of a time jump/fast forward or even mentioned the words "time jump" or "fast forward."  Even you didn't mention time jump, you had just expressed disappointment over the lack of a marriage, and marriage and time jump are two different things.  So I'm not sure why you felt personally attacked, but if you did, I apologize.  

1 hour ago, raziela said:

They are young but I've seen lots of characters in C-dramas get married in their mid-20s and younger so it wouldn't be unusual and XK was living with Miya when they were together.

At the beginning I thought XK and QY would end up married or at least living together because of how much QY wanted her own home and family but she is still Yi Yi's roommate at the end. I guess she found a "family" with Team Phoenix and she finally reconciled with her real family so having her own place was no longer as important.

Fair point, but I guess the way I see XK and QY, and knowing their characters and personalities, I would imagine them wanting to be more established before reaching that next step.  When she's more solid in her career.  When Phenix is a little less new (certainly winning the world championships helps with that, but now they've got to prove staying power).  That's when I imagine their stars will align for marriage.  

And hahaha, I've mentioned previously that there is one idea that keeps coming back to me as a fanfic idea and you've managed to stumble upon it.  It's related to QY's living situation at the end (because I had also imagined she would return to the Phenix training base once they reconciled, but the epilogues suggest otherwise).  Now I think I really will have to write it.  :P  

21 hours ago, raziela said:

I would agree and I don't think I would have minded so much if we saw more of the business side like negotiating sponsors, liaising with officials, etc where saw her use her abilities but the drama made it seem like after the initial excitement of setting-up of the team QY's role was a glorified housekeeper. I couldn't see the driven and motivated QY settling for just that.

We did hear about QY meeting with real estate agents when they were trying to find a place to set up base and know she was an active participant in trying to recruit members, but processing paperwork to register for the iConquer competition was probably getting into the weeds of things and not worth portraying in the drama.  :P  I also doubt they had sponsors at this juncture (which again raises a lot of questions about where they got the funds to completely renovate the space - they added a whole kitchen! - and outfit it with furniture and equipment, but that's why I also said in my earlier post that sometimes it's best not to think about the realities and practicalities of things in dramas, and just gloss over details like this.... ;)), but I'm sure that after their world championship win there will be people knocking down their doors.  That's another reason why, if we imagine beyond the drama's ending, I think Shu Wen should join the team officially and if she doesn't want to handle corporate matters (since she didn't at VNG), she can be the coach and then maybe Gu Fang can join?  Because really, what has Gu Fang been doing ever since he retired other than traveling and taking a break???  Haha.

Yes to all of this!  He was almost martyr-like.  He would calmly accept criticism and only retaliated if the people he cared about were affected like when Team Dragon (I think?) started badmouthing QY.  In the games he was the puppetmaster and tactician but the praise and glory went to the more showy players.  In another typical drama he would have had a breakthrough and become the star MVP player but that wasn't XY's modus operandi and he was fine with it as long as the team performed well.

YES!!!!  Exactly!!!  It is all the more impressive, IMO, that he was able to sacrifice himself while allowing others to shine without a care in the world.  That is so hard to do as it is human to want a little bit of recognition, even if it's just an acknowledgment that he's there behind the scenes.  But XK never cared about that and only cared about what was better for the greater good.  That is so hard to do!  Also, I like your observations about how he is not a typical drama hero.  It makes GYH that much more special in that way, I think, don't you?

I'm actually surprised [Li Gan and Shu Wen] lasted as long as they did working together with their different mindsets and even lasted one day after the cringe worthy proposal stunt.  Who in their right mind proposes to a co-worker you are not even dating and has shown zero romantic interest in you? :blink: 

Ugh.  My goodness.  Your mention of that stupid proposal just makes me want to *headdesk* all over again.  Can. Not. Deal.  I think I already ranted about it when I posted my recap for that episode, so I won't repeat myself now, but gahhhhhh.  I just get so annoyed (probably irrationally so) whenever I'm reminded of that scene so I can't let it go by without more head bangs.  <_<

That's what I was expecting would happen after she resigned from VNG: Shu Wen would become the coach for Team Phoenix and be able to coach successfully in the more flexible environment with players she liked and trusted....but that didn't happen and she was looking after Sun Ge's business and then becoming manager after QY.  I guess we will just have to headcanon that she became their coach too because it's a shame if her abilities were wasted.

I suppose someone needed to watch after The King while Sun Ge focused on the game, and Shu Wen was a logical choice by that point.  I've actually wondered, who takes over for Shu Wen when she becomes the team's manager?  Just as I've wondered how long do we think Sun Ge will remain with the team now that the world championships are over?  I actually always imagined this would be a one shot deal for him, returning to him the opportunity he once lost all those years ago, and that given his age and the fact that he already has The King to run, once this season was over, he'd return to his former life.  But he seemed just as happy as everyone else when XK announced a month long vacation from training, which suggests he's still part of the team, unless he was just happy for everyone else.  :P  Also, once Sun Ge leaves (and realistically speaking, I think that is not far off in the future, if not immediate) who do we think will fill his space?  I have a lot of questions about the drama and its beyond, as you can tell, and think about it a lot... :lol:

:lol: Go ahead! You're among friends here ha ha!  I wish we could keep a kiss count too but there's not much to count when there was a grand total of 1 kiss -_- (I won't count the kiss XY forces on her before all the leaking tactics drama).

Yeah... the kiss count wouldn't be terribly exciting as the drama kept things pretty chaste in that regard.  But for the arm around the shoulders, the current count is 7... *ducks & runs*  LOL

I would watch it so you have a guaranteed audience of at least one...so it probably still wouldn't last long :lol:

LOL.  Thanks, friend.  ;) 

6 hours ago, starangel001 said:

@raziela Yeah, she's even more protective of Qiu Ying than Qiu Ying's own father hahaha Oh yeah, talking about QY's past, I actually want to know what did she do before she became a host. Okay, maybe she was just a university student, I guess. But if she cut herself off from her family, and if she had to survived herself, then she had to find a part time job for the university and stuff.

It probably actually haven't been that long since she graduated. Assuming she moved out when she was 18 after she graduated from high school, she would only be 23. 23 also make sense for XK since 25 would be considered old in the esport world (assuming the same age for the otp ofc). She was a reasonably popular streamer in the beginning of the drama, and just transferred to the iConquerer section, so she could have started as a university student, which isn't that unusual as part time job these days.

I did find the fact she paid down payment for a pretty spacious apartment in what looks like Shanghai? kind of hilariously impossible. Even if it's in Hangzhou or something, it's pretty outrageous, but she could have had a insurance money/trust fund left by mum (I've seen this before in novels...). Being a streamer could get her lot of money but they all have companies behind them to promote and strategise to make big bucks, and she doesn't. 

Anyways, she's younger in the book, still in university and no apartment to her name, she just rent a place, because streaming in dorms is inconvenient. Being a streamer is actually the highest paying part time job she could find, which I find fairly believable. She mostly use it to pay for rent and university (which depending how well she did in university entrance exam, could be pretty cheap, first tier universities are all public universities I think, they are all subsidised. e.g. Fudan University, cursory search seems to say 5~6k rmb/year. Generally private universities might be 10~20k?).

19 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Definitely though, if I'm struck with any fanfic urges after I finish recapping this drama, I think the first 'official' meeting between XK and the parents would be an idea I'd want to tackle.

Please do! I would love to read it.

@raziela, as for your specific question about what XK did before he became a professional gamer, I don't think he's ever done anything else as I recall from that one conversation he had with QY (where he explains why he doesn't want to join a non-Chinese team) he mentioned being scouted while still in university after participating in an iConquer competition.  He joined the pros after graduating, but he didn't really hit the big times until Sun Ge hooked him up with Gu Fang and he joined Legends. 

Spoiler

[In the book, I remember @lynne22 telling me that Miya and XK's story was actually more depressing and pitiful in the book compared to the drama.  As in the drama, they're childhood sweethearts, but she eventually went to Korea for her career and he followed her there to to start a career in esports.  Both of them had a hard time getting their careers off the ground there (with XK having to take on extra jobs just to afford food), which is not so different from in the drama, I suppose, except that it sounds like in the book, you get to know more about their struggles.  Eventually, they separated and XK returned to China where things continued to be not easy.]

Thanks for some background.  I do wish the drama had gone into more detail so we could better understand how XY became the person and player he is today but as I said XY was still a very compelling character regardless.

I think @lynne22 once said it best when she described the time in which they "just friends" (but more or less dating based on their actions) as the time in which they acted more like a couple that was dating, and that once they were together officially, they acted more like a married couple.  I think that's why they came across as more low key after they got together.  Also, I think another reason for the "lack" if that's what you want to call it, is because the drama was never just about their relationship but also focused heavily on XK's journey to the world championships and the teams he lost, joined, and formed along the way.  We shouldn't forget that there were episodes in the middle where the OTP never even saw each other but would maybe exchange a text message.  One way to look at that data point is to think of it as confirming that the drama didn't give us enough scenes of the OTP together, but I actually think it serves to emphasize/remind that the focus of this drama and its story was more than just the romance.  

I do understand your point but I think they could have covered the plot and showed their romantic relationship a little more. Obviously it didn't help that they threw a Miya shaped scanner in the works so the OTP were broken up for the last four episodes. We only really got 5 episodes of them dating and there was so much other plot to cram in during those scenes.

And hahaha, I've mentioned previously that there is one idea that keeps coming back to me as a fanfic idea and you've managed to stumble upon it.  It's related to QY's living situation at the end (because I had also imagined she would return to the Phenix training base once they reconciled, but the epilogues suggest otherwise).  Now I think I really will have to write it. 

I'm ready and waiting to read! :lol:

18 hours ago, themarchioness said:

That's another reason why, if we imagine beyond the drama's ending, I think Shu Wen should join the team officially and if she doesn't want to handle corporate matters (since she didn't at VNG), she can be the coach and then maybe Gu Fang can join?  Because really, what has Gu Fang been doing ever since he retired other than traveling and taking a break???  Haha.

LMAO!  So true!  It really seemed like he was just on holiday for three quarters of the drama!:lol:

Also, I like your observations about how he is not a typical drama hero.  It makes GYH that much more special in that way, I think, don't you?

Definitely agree.  A refreshing change from the overbearing presidents and arrogant and aloof leads.

Fair point, but I guess the way I see XK and QY, and knowing their characters and personalities, I would imagine them wanting to be more established before reaching that next step.  When she's more solid in her career.  When Phenix is a little less new (certainly winning the world championships helps with that, but now they've got to prove staying power).  That's when I imagine their stars will align for marriage.  

And hahaha, I've mentioned previously that there is one idea that keeps coming back to me as a fanfic idea and you've managed to stumble upon it.  It's related to QY's living situation at the end (because I had also imagined she would return to the Phenix training base once they reconciled, but the epilogues suggest otherwise).  Now I think I really will have to write it.  :P  

Definitely not marriage yet but living together as a couple would be feasible.

Yes, please do write it. I would love to read your fanfic as I really need more of this couple.  No pressure, of course:sweatingbullets:

Ugh.  My goodness.  Your mention of that stupid proposal just makes me want to *headdesk* all over again.  Can. Not. Deal.  I think I already ranted about it when I posted my recap for that episode, so I won't repeat myself now, but gahhhhhh.  I just get so annoyed (probably irrationally so) whenever I'm reminded of that scene so I can't let it go by without more head bangs.  <_<

I was soooo confused because there was zero indication they were dating.  However, I know some C-dramas can be very unrealistically chaste with couples showing very little affection so I thought maybe that was the case.  What a relief when I saw the discussion here which made it clear our awesome Shu Wen was not romantically interested in LG! 

Just as I've wondered how long do we think Sun Ge will remain with the team now that the world championships are over?  I actually always imagined this would be a one shot deal for him, returning to him the opportunity he once lost all those years ago, and that given his age and the fact that he already has The King to run, once this season was over, he'd return to his former life.  But he seemed just as happy as everyone else when XK announced a month long vacation from training, which suggests he's still part of the team, unless he was just happy for everyone else.  :P  Also, once Sun Ge leaves (and realistically speaking, I think that is not far off in the future, if not immediate) who do we think will fill his space?  I have a lot of questions about the drama and its beyond, as you can tell, and think about it a lot... :lol:

I thought that this was a one-shot deal also.  But I suppose as he is integrated into the team and clearly still has his skills they don't see any reason for him to leave just yet.  It's not like Gu Fang who was clearly deteriorating as a player.  In the meantime, they can start to take on some reserve players and build up the strength of the team. I also found the whole you are over the hill at 30 in e-sports a bit much. The drama acts like hitting 30+ is a step away from losing all your physical and mental faculties.:rolleyes:  I just don't find it believable that a game which relies on reflexes and using your brain would be that different for a 25 and a 30 year old.  It's not like they are gymnasts or something! 

Yeah... the kiss count wouldn't be terribly exciting as the drama kept things pretty chaste in that regard.  But for the arm around the shoulders, the current count is 7... *ducks & runs*  LOL

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived