Quantcast
lynne22

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Gank Your Heart 陪你到世界之巅

18 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@themarchioness

the team for Gank Your Heart should really appoint you as their representative in promoting their drama:lol: You certainly do a great job:D

Hahahaha.  I'd be willing to accept a personal fan meet with the cast in lieu of payment.  ;)  I'm glad I've managed to convince you and look forward to hearing your thoughts when you're able to watch!

2 hours ago, raziela said:

I also really enjoy the camaraderie and friendships in this drama so I don't mind if the romance doesn't take centre stage straight away. I prefer the slow burn type of dramas where the main couple gradually get to know each other.  I usually find that much more satisfying than when one of them is head over heels for the other immediately.  

Couldn't agree more with you on that one @raziela!  I also find the relationship more realistic for it.  And, actually, I find it refreshing that they're not the type to sit in each other's pockets all day long; but, rather, they lead their lives as individuals and as supportive partners.  It's not that I don't enjoy a good sweet romance, I do, but drama is one thing and in reality... well, tbh, I think I'd go nuts if it was Pink Heart Balloons (I'm sure you get what I mean by characterizing it that way) all the time.  That's just not who I am; so QY and XK's relationship, that's my perfect balance.  :P 

ETA: @Latte_Anyday Hadn't heard of "Beyond Light Years" until your post just now so can't offer you any insight.  Sorry!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

14 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

There's another, "Beyond Light Years". Would love your opinion @themarchioness on it as well. Sorry for off topic! :sweatingbullets:

There's like no buzz for the drama that I can remember, looks like it's Youku webdrama, rip. Oh it has Novoland's Ji Ye in it. but darn it's pretty hard to have bad ratings on both douban and MDL >___> 

For GGS, I'm like the minority that likes that drama's non-romance bits, the camaraderie and letting go of the past bits (and the better part of the trilogy books), as well as some pretty decent and heartwarming family bits (stepmum-stepson relationship + young single father with a kid who has hearing disability).

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 12:00 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

There's another, "Beyond Light Years". Would love your opinion @themarchioness on it as well. Sorry for off topic! :sweatingbullets:

actually i like the start off :) however just a lil spoiler no HPE :x

• Like 1

@themarchioness

It's ok, no worries:D

@skibbies

Oh really? OK.. 'Cause I just watched a few out of curiosity. It seem to be in my opinion, a very poor..poor..version of Love O20:P So yup I dropped it. 

Not even the family, side stories were enough to save Go2 Squid for me:sweatingbullets: I was moved by the stepmom.

'Cause y'know how they're portrayed in fairytales as evil ha-ha:P

@angelangie

Er--what's HPE?!?! :blink:

Er--isn't it suppose to be HE??!:w00t: It's fine I know what you mean:lol: 

Spoiler

I think even in later ep. the female lead is still with the second male lead which is very..very...rare but I've dropped it so:phew:

New recap today!  I am so glad I decided to continue with my recaps because, despite having rewatched this particular scene many times already, I noticed something for the first time while recapping this next episode and I don't think it's anything I would've ever noticed had I not started these recaps -- and it's such a sweet detail!!!  Wonder what it was that I noticed?  Read my recap and see if you can figure it out for yourself.  ;) 

Episode 31

Spoiler

Episode 31

It’s a new competitive season, the 2019 iConquer spring season to be exact, and according to the team logos plastered on the walls of the competition site, Phenix’s first official match will be against the Dragon team.  A Can steps out on stage to host the event, as he always does, and he gets things started by saying he has a highly anticipated team to introduce to the audience – one who has experienced controversy in their journey to arrive at where they are – and then welcomes the Phenix team out on stage.  The crowd goes wild and in the audience, QY adds to the cheers by calling out that Phenix is the best.  XK, as team captain, enters first.  As the team enters, we get cuts of interviews with other relevant people.  The first is Qi Yue who states that Phenix is made up of members who are old, weak, sick, and disabled.  Always the smarter of the two, Shen Yue quickly jumps in to say that actually, he’s looking forward to competing against them.  Never one to let things go, Qi Yue agrees that he’s also looking forward to it – and adds that he’s looking forward to defeating them and JXK.  [Qi Yue, I’m looking forward to them defeating YOU!]  Back on stage, Sun Ge makes his entrance and he’s introduced as the former team captain of the Pioneer team.  For an interview, that of course leads us to Li Gan, who says that Sun Ge really deserves to be praised for his courage in stepping back into the competitive arena.  [Unlike his disciple, Li Gan at least knows how to be gracious in front of the cameras.  We will hope that he actually means what he says.]  Meanwhile, Sun Ge’s fans have gathered in the audience and chant, “Yi Ge,” as one.  Awww.  The remaining members have joined the team on stage by now and A Can introduces PX as the top mid solo player of the current generation.  For an interview, we get XK’s former CEO at Legends who acknowledges that it wasn’t easy for XK to put together this team and graciously says he hopes they achieve good results, but then he adds that it’s a pity about PX as he’ll be ruining himself if he can’t adjust himself to XK’s strategy and tactics.  [Don’t worry, CEO Jin, PX’s doing just fine playing with XK!]  Shu Wen also accepts an interview, and I love that she’s doing it standing in front of The King!!!!!  She thinks XK and PX being on the same time will bring a lot that everyone can look forward to.  Summer also says in an interview at Dream Journey that he’s always respected PX’s decisions so he thinks PX has better foresight than him.  Back at the competition, A Can introduces Xia Ling by describing him as the team’s secret weapon and the youngest player.  QY stands up in the audience to cheer him on and in the commentator’s box, Luo Tian tells A Can that Phenix’s purity and passion for the iConquer sport reminds him of his former Pioneer team so he believes that they will be able to once more create another miracle.  [This was obviously an error in how they spliced scenes because A Can’s supposed to still be on stage!]  Back on stage, A Can introduces Phenix’s final member, YX, and describes him as the strongest support.  For an interview, we get Gu Fang who says that every member of the Phenix team has been subjected to doubts and criticisms in the past and they have relied on their unflagging confidence as well as their passion for iConquer to get to where they are today.  [The Chinese language is so poetic; he actually describes their confidence as “unfearful of rain and wind” confidence.] 

With the introductions concluded, the game officially begins and we see that the usual crowd has gathered at Dream Journey to watch.  This time, in the front row, are Summer and Shu Wen.  In the commentator’s box, Qiao Xin is next to Luo Tian – ugh.  Luo Tian shares that Sun Ge has disrupted the formation of the other team’s structure and this is something only someone with years of experience would be able to achieve.  The next wave of attack begins and Summer is impressed with how well his cousin is playing today.  Xia Ling then moves in for a kill and Luo Tian comments on how easily he’s able to do it.  Qiao Xin shouts out that the Dragon team only has one last man standing and he’s hurrying back to home base, but too bad for him, the Phenix team is already attacking again as Summer shouts for PX to attack.  Luo Tian then announces that the final crystal has been toppled, and it’s a win for Phenix in their first competition.  Hurray!  Everyone praises them for how beautifully they played todayand Luo Tian says he trusts they’ll be able to look forward to more surprises from Phenix in the upcoming games. 

At Dream Journey, Shu Wen comments that she’s someone who’s watched over PX’s growth and he’s displayed unprecedented amounts of breakthroughs ever since joining the Phenix team.  Summer agrees and says that in the past, he played by only thinking of himself.  Now, he even knows how to leave opportunities to Xia Ling to develop.  He comments with pride that PX has grown up, and Shu Wen looks on with amusement as she asks if he’s happy.  Of course he is, as he says he’s very happy. 

Back at the competition site, the Phenix team is walking through the hallways.  QY praises each of them for their performance today and YX agrees, saying that “our Xiao Ling Ling” was especially great as he beat up the Dragon team members until they were all dazed and confused.  YX says he’s giving him a thumbs up and Xia Ling says, “A Xuan, you weren’t bad either.”  YX treats that as a matter of course until he realizes how Xia Ling just referred to him and stops in his place, telling Xia Ling to call him, “Xuan Ge.”  Xia Ling only laughs and PX says that actually, he thinks “A Xuan” sounds quite nice and Xia Ling agrees. YX reacts with a tsk, and says that if he hasn’t remembered incorrectly, PX’s also one week younger than him so according to the basic principles, he should also be referring to him (YX) as “Xuan Ge.”  PX asks if he’s sure and YX says he is.  PX then tries to distract him by tricking him into thinking YY is nearby, and everyone laughs.  The three goofballs walk off and all that are left are Sun Ge, QY, and Xiang Kong.  QY stops when she sees a video replay of Qiao Xin in the commentator’s box next to Luo Tian.  XK watches her watching the screen and knows what she must be thinking right now.  He takes her hand and without words, offers comfort.  Luo Tian walks up then offering his congratulations and Sun Ge greets him by saying he worked hard.  XK also thanks Luo Tian for his congratulations, while Luo Tian praises Sun Ge for being a “treasured knife that does not age” [idiom for: old but still vigorous].  Sun Ge modestly replies that his speed isn’t as good as it used to be, but Luo Tian answers back that speed isn’t the most important thing; it’s experience and awareness that are the most important.  Sun Ge says he’s starting to feel embarrassed by all this praise and Luo Tian jokes back that he’s just pretending to be embarrassed.  He then makes a subtle head nod at QY, so she suggests to XK that they head back to the waiting room to wait for her while she has a quick chat with Luo Tian.  XK agrees and says he’ll see her in a little bit, and then walks off with Sun Ge while Luo Tian pulls QY to the side. 

As they walk together, Luo Tian observes that it must be a lot of hard work to be the team’s leader and QY answers that it’s actually not been that bad; it’s the others who work hard while she just handles the miscellaneous business for the team.  Luo Tian then tells her that Qiao Xin denied to the organizing committee that she ever said anything to her about XK fainting, so that’s why there hasn’t been any progress in the past three months regarding their investigations into the matter of the leaked strategy.  QY’s not surprised to hear that Qiao Xin would deny her involvement in the matter, as that’s something she guessed Qiao Xin would do, and Luo Tian tells her not to worry as he’ll make sure the organizing committee continues their investigations so that her name/reputation can be cleared as quickly as possible and so that she can return to the commentator’s stage as soon as possible.  QY nods and says that she trusts the truth will one day be made free, but she also tells Luo Tian to rest easy knowing that she’s doing pretty well right now anyway.  She points out how she’s learning a lot through being a team leaer and then remembers to pass over her homework for the week.  Luo Tian accepts it with a smile.

Back at the Phenix training base, XK, QY, and Xia Ling sort through the presents left by their fans.  New to the experience, Xia Ling marvels in surprise over his first gift and comments how cool his new headphones are.  XK opens a box and finds product placement face masks, and QY is surprised to learn that she also has a gift.  She reads the note, which says, “We will support you always,” and then they have to discuss the type of face masks that they are because, you know, product placement!  As XK dances his fingers over the boxes, wondering what else there is, and starts to wonder who would send him a rabbit, a knock is heard at the door.  He offers to go see who it is and returns with Xia Ling’s mother and QY’s father.  Xia Ling’s mother does not look happy as she looks curiously around the surroundings, but QY’s dad walks up and greets them easily.  He explains that they went to Xia Ling’s school to look for him and heard that he was here.  His mother says she wondered why he wouldn’t let her or his father visit him at school, but now she knows it was because he came here to fool around.  QY turns to him then and asks if he didn’t say anythign to their parents about playing in the competitions, and when he doesn’t say anything, Dad suggests that Xia Ling come with them so that they can finish this conversation at home.  Xia Ling, however, refuses to go home with them and tells his parents that he came here to play in competitions, not to fool around.  He also tells his parents that he’s already transferred his major to esports and that he’s studying and competiting at the same time, which is something his school supports.  His mother asks angrily what competitions he’s participating in and what major he transferred to; she’s clearly having a hard time catching up to all this news that’s been sprung upon her.  XK tries to step in as a peaceamaker and suggests that she calm down first.  He says she probably doesn’t understand and explains that esports have already been added to the Asian Games as a competiton category.  She, however, responds that she doesn’t want to talk to him insists to Xia Ling that he come home with her.  Xia Ling tells her he’s not going and adds that if she’s going to continue on like this, he’ll never go home again.  QY tells him not to speak to his mother like that and points out that she’s just trying to do what she thinks is best for him.  Instead of appreciating QY’s interference, Xia Ling’s mother asks what kind of a good person she’s pretending to be.  She then tells QY that if it weren’t for her, her son wouldn’t have gotten into his accident and his leg be the way that it is right now.  She then accuses QY of not having a proper job while hanging out with some sketchy people and tells her not to ruin her son too.  [I love the way XK’s eyes blink in double time as he hears himself being referred to as sketchy.]  QY’s dad steps in and tells Mom she’s gone overboard.  She asks in a rant how she’s gone overboard and he starts out saying when Xia Ling got into the accident, “my daughter,” and then corrects himself to say that, “his sister” was also worried and visited the hospital every day.  He tells her that’s enough and then chides Xia Ling, in a much calmer manner, for having made such a big decision to switch majors without discussing things with them first.  He tells him to look at how anxious his mother is and then looks at QY, noticing how his daughter has to take a deep breath to hold everything in.  He then says to them both that Mom might not understand what they’re doing right now, and suggests that they’ll head back first and then when they’re done with their business here, they can come home and help convince her.  Mom, however, would prefer that Xia Ling come with her now and tries to drag him up from the couch.  He throws her off and angrily stands his ground that he’s not going home.  He tells her that his entire life, whatever she didn’t like, that was considered wrong.  He says that’s how she’s always behaved towards his dad, to his sister, and to him, and asks her to consider whever everything she’s done is right.  He then tells her that he doesn’t care what she thinks about what he’s doing right now.  He only wants to tell her that here, there’s his sister, everyone, and the Phenix team; and it’s only here that he can find his self-worth.  He finishes by saying he hopes she’ll respect his decision. 

Later that night, QY stands in the back patio by herself and thinks about the way she’d behaved towards her father when he came visit her at her apartment after learning about her troubles at work.  She also remembers the interest he’d expressed at the hospital when he’d asked her to forward her a copy of the video from her “Tomorrow’s Star” competition.  She also remembers how supportive he’d been when he’d asked about XK being her boyfriend, and how he’d stood up for her earlier that day with Xia Ling’s mother. 

Back at their home, Dad brings Mom a cup of water.  After a while, Mom asks whether in his and their son’s heart of hearts, they think it she who chased QY away.  Dad answers unhesitatignly, “No,” and tells her not to think that way.  He wisely says that regarding the things that happened in the past, everyone had areas in which they were wrong.  He says that “his child” has always been stubborn and he knows she (QY) made her suffer quite a bit.  He accepts the blame for the whole though, and says it was because he wasn’t good enough and hadn’t handled things well.  Mom reaches out and apologizes, admitting that her temper wasn’t good today.  He understands she was just feeling concerned and reassures her with a pat on the back of her hand.  She then asks if he’s really okay with both of their children participating in “that competition,” and he explains he first heard of it through Xia Ling, who’d told him that QY was becoming a commentator.  After that, he started following this new and developing profession.  He then tells her that in the past, they always thought of this as not a proper job and something that people became addicted to.  But once he came to understood things better, he learned this was called esports and that this was totally different from just playing online games.  He also points out that the Asian Games have already added a category for esports and Xia Ling’s school has even made a special major just for this.  Mom expresses doubt by asking what kind of a future this major will bring to him, and Dad asks, “How do you know that there won’t be a future?”  He points out that Xia Ling’s only 20 years old, and at that age, his possibilities are endless.  He also asks her to think about it in terms of this being the thing that might help him walk out from the shadow of his leg injury and regain his confidence, and asks if that isn’t a good thing.  When she has no response to that, he offers to show her something on his phone.  It’s a video of Xia Ling being introduced as a member of the Phenix team.  He asks her take a look at how confident he is in the video and Mom finally smiles.

The next morning, Xia Ling apologizes to QY for the words his mother spoke to her the day before while she serves him breakfast.  She tells him it’s nothing; she understands that his mother is just worried because she doesn’t understand their profession.  Xia Ling mutters that his mom always thinks she’s in the right like that, and QY scolds him saying that she won’t allow him to speak about her like that.  She reminds him that it’s because his mother loves him and cares for him that she behaves as she does.  She then asks what he thinks about her taking him home after he finishes his breakfast so he can have a proper chat with his mother, but Xia Ling tells her there’s nothing to talk about since she won’t understand anyway.  QY takes a seat next to him at the table and asks if he’s just going to continue being in a deadlock with his mom – just as she is with her father.  She reminds Xia Ling of how before, he would always tell her that her father cared about her, but she wouldn’t believe it.  Xia Ling responds that their dad really does care about her and that he wasn’t lying.  He tells her that after she became a commentator, he started using Weibo to keep tabs on her.  QY answers that she knows, and that she spent the whole of the last night thinking about it.  She tells Xia Ling that after her father married his mother, she kept thinking he didn’t love her anymore, or her mother, so she really, really hated him.  When he called, she wouldn’t answer.  When he went to her school to look for her, she wouldn’t see him. When he tried to transfer money to her account, she’d return it.  

At this moment, Xia Ling notices their father entering and quickly stands in greeting.  Dad greets them with a smile and asks if they’re eating breakfast.  He then asks Xia Ling how he’s doing and whether he’s still mad at his mother.  Xia Ling answers that he isn’t, but Dad doesn’t believe it.  He then tells them that he’s managed to convince her already and the siblings look at each other in surprised shock. Xia Ling asks, “Really?” and Dad answers that of course it’s for real.  He asks if Xia Ling doesn’t know how his mother is; she’s just like that.  But she’s not unreasonable either; it just depends on how you explain things to her.  He then points out the suitcase he brought with him and tells them that she’d wanted him to bring over all the things she’d prepared for him to eat, wear, and use.  He also tells Xia Ling that if he finds himself missing anything, he should just give either of them a call and they’ll send it right over.  Xia Ling agrees happily, and then his father tells him that his mother specifically instructed that his leg’s not well, so he can’t sit for too long while training, he shouldn’t neglect his visits to the hospital for rehab, and he can’t ge behind in his schoolwork either.  Xia Ling tells him not to worry as he has QY to help watch over him.  QY also tells “Dad” not to worry, and they both have a moment where they realize what she’s just said.  It’s the first time in a long while she’s referred to him as her father, and though you can tell how deeply he affected he his by this, like a good father, he helps save her from awkwardness by pretending nothing out of the ordinary just happened other than to say slowly and haltering, “Of course, with Jie Jie (big sis) watching over Di Di (little bro), of course I don’t have to worry.  I used to hope that you’d be able to forgive me.”  Then he smiles to get past the moment, and remarks to Xia Ling about how his big sister works as commentator and he’s playing esports.  He says that so long as the two of them are doing what they love, neither he nor their mother will stand in their way.  He then tells them that since they like what they’re doing, they should just work hard at it and do well.  He also adds that so long as they work hard, no matter what the result is, they will always be the pride of their parents.  He then finishes by saying, “My daughter, my son, they’re the best!” and leaves.  [Awww, DAD!!!]  QY can hardly hold back the tears while Xia Ling smiles broadly at finally getting to see two of the people he loves most in the world start to heal their relationship.  He pats his sister’s shoulder in comfort and I love how we get to see Dad’s expression as he walks away.

What follows next is a montage of the Phenix team training and living together.  First, they run laps while Xia Ling and QY supervise.  I love how even while running laps they can be playful with each other.  Next, they train by playing iConquer together.  Then, QY and XK stand at one end of the second floor balcony with his arm over her shoulder while XY, Sun Ge, and Xia Ling stand at the opposite end to watch PX down below cleaning the first floor in his hazmat uniform.  We then see YX and PX messing around with other; first, by battling each other with toy swords, and then by PX drawing on YX’s face with lipstick as he sleeps.  Through an article that YY writes, we learn that the “dark horse,” Phenix team, made up of Sun Ze Yi (Sun Ge), JXK, PX, LYX, and Xia Ling, has made new advancements after sweeping all the powerful teams off the charts; and then we see the Phenix team having fun as they play their way to another victory.  A Can walks out onto the stage to congratulate the Phenix team on their win and shares that they’re currently ranked number one as they enter the playoffs.  Luo Tian, meanwhile, talks about the hardships the team has had to overcome in the past three months, as well as the surprises they’ve brought to everyone through their individual skills as well as their excellent teamwork.  He tells the audience to look forward to what the ever soaring Phenix team will bring as they continue their brilliance in the playoffs. 

One evening, PX brings XK a cup of coffee.  XK’s working hard on his laptop and PX tells him to rest early.  XK acknowledges him with a smile, but goes right back to work and PX retreats.  QY then joins after having finished washing up.  She asks what he’s working on and XK nods at his laptop screen.  QY looks over with interest and then asks if she can have a try, placing the product placement face mask on the table so she can free up her hands.  As she puts her hand on the mouse, XK places his hand over hers and says he’ll teach her.  As he leads her around in the game, QY exclaims in awe over how amazing it is.  XK asks if it really is and then tells her that this is a new strategy he’s been researching, but it may be a little daring so he doesn’t know if there would be any risks if they were to actually implement it.  A thought then occurs to him and although he shares his ideas out loud, he’s clearly caught up in his own world as he gets back into his work.  QY watches him and then reaches for a notepad to write him a note of encouragement.  When she finishes it, she posts it on the corner of his laptop and tells him he’s the best so he should believe in himself.  [The note, by the way, says, “Jia you, kan hao ni.”  It’s the same words of encouragement XK had given her all the way back in Episode 17, when he gifted her that box of product placement face masks.  The only difference is, this time, she adds a heart.]  XK thanks her and asks if she isn’t going to bed.  She answers that she’s keeping him company and XK tells her it’s okay and suggests she got to bed instead.  QY tells him she’s not tired though and promises that she won’t disturb him since she’s very quiet.  XK laughs at that and goes back to work, but QY just does what QY does best – she stares at him.  Haha.  After a while, XK can feel her gaze on him and looks over.  When he notices her staring at him, he smiles.  With a HEAD PAT, he tells her that can’t focus with her looking at him like that.  QY blinks and says she should go to bed then and tells him that she’s going to go put on a face mask, and he should rest early as well.  As she starts to walk away, XK calls out for her attention and tells her that she she forgot her face mask while holding it up.  QY smiles, but when she walks back for it, he pulls it out of her reach and as a result she falls into his lap.  [Sneaky, sneaky XK!]  After they stare at each other, XK raises his eyebrows at her and QY grows embarrassed as she quickly stands her feet and says she’ll just go to bed then.  XK holds up the face mask again and asks if she doesn’t want it anymore, and QY anwers that she doesn’t want it anymore.  She tells him to think of it as her keeping him company, and bids him goodnight.  She then runs for her bedroom, leaving a much amused XK at the dining table. 

The next morning, XK holds a meeting with his team where he tells them that their first match in the playoffs will be against the Newlands team and they’re really good at playing the middle and later stages; therefore, they will definitely try and avoid fighting against them in the earlier stage and instead have a back and forth warfare.  Sun Ge observes that Xia Ling’s jungling skills are really good so it’s really easy for them to dominate in the earlier stage, but when it comes to the middle and later stages, and their financial situation doesn’t allow them to widen the distance, they become very passive.  PX points out that the Stone team is also really skilled at back and forth warfare and XK agrees, pointing to the two teams’ data on his bulletin board, and says that’s why those two teams are their strongest opponents and why they have to change their strategies.  QY asks what strategy and XK answers, “Change positions.”  At this announcement, everyone gathers around with interest to see what XK has in mind.  He, in turn, tells them that he’s named this strategy, Shadow, because Xia Ling and PX will be changing their positions.  PX asks if what he means by this is that he’ll play jungle while Xia Ling plays the middle, and as Xia Ling reacts in shock and disbelief, XK tells them that what he hopes is that during the competition, the two of them will be able to change their positions flexibly.  YX asks what he means by “change positions flexibly,” and XK explains that PX and Xia Ling will be able to amongst middle and the jungle while also working alongside him at the same time to catch those who are roaming around by themselves.  He points out how the three of them will even be able to have their own small warfare at the bottom corner of the game map.  Since XK’s been using pistachios to represent the team members on the game map, YX jokes that what XK is trying to say is that the pistachios will be the wild cards who wander about the game.  Everyone laughs and then QY returns to business by clarifying that it sounds like what XK intends is for PX and Xia Ling to be shadows of each other, so they will be able to change their positions as they’d like while working with the support to confuses their opponents.  As everyone nods their head in understanding, XK tells her, “That’s right.  Our ‘Xiao Ying’ is really smart,” and the he feeds her a pistachio much to the disgust of the others, while QY answers it’s because he taught it well.  Sun Ge says this idea is a really good one as it can control many battle formations, but notes that it won’t be easy to adapt.  PX agrees by pointing out that Xia Ling plays jungle better than him, and Xia Ling observes that his output, as a whole, is definitely lacking when compared against PX.  XK, however, tells him that he has faith the two of them will be able to pull it off.  PX says there’s no harm in them giving it a try and points out that no matter what position he plays, he’ll do his best anyway.  Xia Ling says, “But I really don’t feel confident about this,” and PX tells him that’s not a problem because he’ll coordinate with him and if there are any problems, they’ll face them together.  QY jumps in to reassure Xia Ling by telling him that they all believe in him, so he should “jia you.”  QY then stands up, holding out her hand, and encourages the team to work hard together so they can win the playoffs.  Everyone but Xia Ling joins in the team huddle immediately, and it’s afer much hesitation and a nudge from QY that Xia Ling finally adds his hand to the pile. 

That night, QY goes to find XK while he’s out for a run.  He asks why she’s there and she tells him that she wanted to talk to him privately about Xia Ling.  XK guesses that she’s here to talk to him about his idea for them to change positions and QY answers that she’s worried whether Xia Ling will be able to handle the mid-solo position.  XK tells her not to worry and observes that Xia Ling is the youngest among them and his reaction time and ability to pick up new skills is also the fastest.  He also points out that his hand speed is comparable to PX’s, and asks what she has to worry about.  QY answers that she know Xia Ling so what she’s worried about is that he doesn’t have confidence in himself.  XK replies that he believes in him and that Xia Ling’s a lot stronger than they think.  When he sees how worried she still is, he pulls her in for a HEAD PAT and a hug and tells her to stop worrying.  As QY hugs him back, he says, “Do you know, I have never wanted to win as much as I do now.  Before, I was never afraid of how people railed at me or slandered me.  But now, I want to protect the people by my side.  So that means I have to be stronger.”  QY answers that she knows his pressure is bigger than anyone else’s, and XK tells her that ever since that moment when Phenix was formed, he’s been wanting to tell her that he’ll take her to the World Championships – and that they will ascend to the top of the world together.  QY smiles at him and says she believes him, and XK gives her another HEAD PAT. 

It’s the first match of the playoffs and the Phenix and Newlands teams wave at each other as they walk through opposite ends of the hallways to enter the stage.  Xia Ling is without his crutches and assisted by PX.  He also looks incredibly nervous.  XK tells him not to be nervous and says that even though this is their first time playing with the Shadow strategy, it’ll be okay.  He tells Xia Ling to relax.  Sun Ge also adds his vote of confidence that they’ll be okay and PX tells him not to be afraid, because he has him.  YX also throws his arm around Xia Ling and tells him not to listen to PX as he’ll cover him.  Xia Ling musters enough of his usual self to tell YX to cover himself first, and YX asks if he doesn’t trust him.  LOL.  The teams finally enter the stage and A Can narrates that they have a new team, Phenix, matched against an old team, Newlands.  Summer and Shu Wen also arrive at that moment and they take seats next to QY.  When the team starts to play, Summer turns to QY and asks in confusion whether Xia Ling and PX have swpapped their positions and she tells them that this is XK’s new strategy.  Summer mutters that this is a huge change and wonders if they’re prepared, and QY tells him that the results were pretty good when they tried it out during practice.  Shu Wen chimes in that XK wouldn’t go into this unprepared and so says it should be fine; she then suggests they wait to see what happens.  Behind them, their friends from Dream Journey also discuss the new strategy and Female Gamer asks if XK’s gone crazy for making PX play jungle.  Fei Mao also asks if the “new person” will be okay playing the mid-solo position and Shou Hou Zi says it’s as if XK’s trying to ruin PX’s rhythm.  Back on stage, XK offers reassurances to his teammates after YX complains about how annoying the jungler from the other team is.  He calls out instructions and then Xia Ling starts to engage an opponent while YX tells him not to attack.  XK also tells him to retreat, but Xia Ling insists he can handle it.  Unfortunately, the other team starts to make their moves at that same moment and to paraphrase, they end up taking Xia Ling out for the moment.  XK tells his remaining team members to remain steady and protect PX, so he can have time to develop his character.  Luo Tian narrates that this just demonstrated how the Newlands team is ever prepared to send out their people to attack while Xia Ling, as a new and inexperienced person playing the middle was probably a little too anxious.  At that same moment, things start to go awry on the Phenix team as PX enters an area where Sun Ge can’t get to him to help out.  To paraphrase what happens next, PX is also taken out of the game for a moment.  The scene then cuts to Miya and we see she is also watching the competition on her laptop while she practices with her guitar on her lap.  Back at the competition site, Xia Ling’s back in the game but he gets slain again.  XK continues to call out instructions and tells PX to head to the middle route to change places with Xia Ling, and instructs Xia Ling to go develop his character some more.  In the audience, Summer remarks that if they keep on like this, they’re going to lose.  Shu Wen agrees that it looks like Xia Ling’s still not familiar with the rhythm of the middle route and Summer says it’s because he’s a rookie.  He then complains over how ridiculous it is that they would assign him to such an important role, and Shu Wen quickly pinches at him reminding him that QY is sitting next to them.  QY, however, is focused on the screen as she mutters for them to “jia you” on repeat.  Luo Tian, however, is observing how the two teams are growing increasingly distant in their economic development and that it looks like PX and Xia Ling still haven’t adjusted to their changed positions.  Qiao Xin agrees and points out how PX has returned to the middle while Xia Ling has gone to the jungle to develop.  On the stage, XK continues to call out commands to his teammates but it sounds like it’s too late as Luo Tian remarks how there’s no one on the Phenix team who’s currently capable of making any moves as they’ve been damaged too badly.  XK still tries to reassure Xia Ling by telling him it’s okay and to find rythym and not be confused, while Luo Tian observes that XK and YX have snuck into the jungle to help PX, but the Newlands team has already beaten them to it and XK and YX have now been exposed.  XK tells his teammates that he’s been controlled by the other side and YX tries to call PX over to help him make a kill.  XK tells them to be careful as they don’t know where the other team’s jungler is and then the other team makes their appearance and the next thing we see is the screen showing us how the Newlands team is toppling over other water crystal tower.  XK removes his headset and YX asks if they’re just going to lose like this.  Luo Tian also observes that XK has already taken off his headset and so congratulates Newlands on winning the first round.  Shortly thereafter, we hear the computer system announce that the game is over and Luo Tian clarifies for us that Newlands has beaten Phenix 2-0 today, so now we know this was their final game of the day and it’s over.  Xia Ling puts his head over arms and Sun Ge tries to comfort him by telling him it’s okay as they can win it back the next round, and we hear Qiao Xin announce how it’s a shame that Phenix has been slotted for the loser’s bracket.  Luo Tian also comments on how Phenix brought out a new strategy for today’s match, but it’s just a shame that PX and Xia Ling weren’t able to fully acclimates themselves to the new strategy. 

Miya, as previously mentioned, has also been following the match on her laptop.  When she sees Tony enter the room, she turns it off.  He, however, takes a seat across from her and remarks that she’d said she was letting things go, and so asks why she was watching the competition.  Miya smiles and looks down in answer, and Tony changes the subject by asking her how her preparations are going.  She answers that she’s almost done and notes that her upcoming concert will be a turning point for her, as she hopes to become a singer who who composes her own music and isn’t just an idol.  Tony says he supports her decision to shift her musical style, but wonders if it isn’t a little sudden.  He points out how, at the concert, she’ll have to play her own music and sing by herself all while hanging from a wire and says it’s too dangerous.  Miya is determined, though, and tells Tony that she’s already made up her mind.  She asks him to believe in her and so Tony can only give in.  He says that since she’s already made up her mind, he wishes her all the best.  After giving her a bottle of water, he leaves her be.

In the Phenix waiting room, XK tells his teammates that it’s okay because they still have a chance.  QY nods her head in agreement and PX pipes up to take the blame, saying it was his fault and that he hadn’t acclimated himself to playing jungle.  Xia Ling tells him not to take the blame on his behalf and notes how if it hadn’t been for his turret in the middle road falling so early, his jungle area wouldn’t have been so affected and their economic development and rhythm also wouldn’t have been such a mess.  He takes the blame for all his problems playing in the middle and apologizes to the team and says it was he who dragged them down.  YX asks him what he’s talking about and says there’s no right or wrong, as they’re all brothers, and so he needn’t talk like that.  He then tries to share in the blame by saying that he also didn’t perform well today.  PX throws a comforting arm around Xia Ling’s shoulder and Sun Ge pipes up to agree with YX, saying that today was a hard to come by experience for the team.  He the observes that now that they’ve figured out their problem, they’ll definitely be able to do better next in the next game.  QY agrees and tries to cheer them up by saying today was just one match, so all they have to do is win the next one.  XK and QY exchange looks and then XK tells the others that that’s enough.  He suggests they return to their training base and get some rest.  Xia Ling stands with a noticeable limp and PX rushes to help him.  YX grabs their bags along with his own to follow them out, and QY holds Sun Ge and XK back to tell them that Shu Wen wants them to meet at The King to have a chat.

At The King, Gu Fang, Shu Wen and Summer wait for XK, Sun Ge, and QY to arrive.  Shu Wen tells Summer that based on her understanding of XK, he will never agree to change PX’s position back.  Summer asks what they’re supposed to do then, and whether they’re just going to keep going on as they are.  He asks if that’s going to work and reminds Shu Wen that she also saw what happened.  Shu Wen asks if they can’t wait for the others to arrive before continuing their discussion, and smacks at him when she notices that the others have arrived.  She walks over to greet them, asks if they’re doing okay, and leads QY back to the couch for a seat while XK heads there first by himself to plop down like a child called to the principal’s office.  Shu Wen takes a seat next to him and reaches out to give him a reassuring pat, telling him it’s okay and that he should cheer up.  She tells him not to be affected by the netizen’s online criticisms.  Gu Fang observes, however, that right now, it’s not just the online netizens who are criticizing XK and Xia Ling, but it’s the professionals too.  XK says that loss of today’s match is entirely his responsibility and that his Shadow strategy is not developed enough.  Shu Wen asks what he’s planning on doing for the next match then, and XK has no answer for her.  Summer starts to say that in his opinion – then he coughs and changes his course of tactic by saying that he suggests XK change PX back to his original position, so that things will be more reliable.  Gu Fang chimes in to say that before they arrived, they were already discussing this matter.  He tells XK that his strategy is very new and original, and if Xia Ling and PX could do what he envisioned and change their positions flexibly, then they really would be able to confuse their opponents.  But he asks if Xia Ling is capable of pulling it off.  Shu Wen tries a more diplomatic approach and asnwers that Xia Ling is a child with a lot of natural talent, but then adds that he’s lacking in competition experience.  Summer completes the gang up by asking XK whether he might be placing too much pressure on Xia Ling by entrusting the mid-solo position to a rookie for such an important competition.  He then looks to Sun Ge and asks whether he would agree, but Sun Ge just rolls his eyes in response.  Gu Fang, on the other hand, uses the opportunity to remind XK that if they lose another match, Phenix won’t be able to enter the world championship finals.  That’s when Sun Ge pipes up and tells his friends and former teammates that there are no problems with the Shadow strategy, so they don’t need to change anything.  Summer looks away in resignation and XK tells his seniors that he understands what they’re saying, but he believes in Xia Ling.  Sun Ge tells the other three to stop worrying so much and asks them to give them some time. 

Back at the Phenix headquarters, Xia Ling sits in his room and scrolls through all the online comments.  At a certain point, he finally turns it all off but then falls to the ground when he tries to stand and reach for his crutches.  Annoyed, frustrated, and angry, he ends up swatting his crutches aside.

PX sits at the dinner table by himself, while YY and YX are standing outside Xia Ling’s room.  YY asks Xia Ling to come out and join them for dinner instead of staying cooped up inside by himself, and YX also tries to coax him out of the room, talking to him as if he were a little kid.  Xia Ling is hiding in bed now though, and just rolls over in avoidance.  As the camera returns to PX sitting at the dinner table, we hear YX telling Xia Ling to not read the online comments as they don’t know what they’re talking about.  He asks him not to take their worse to heart and that moment, we see XK, QY, and Sun Ge return home.  PX calls up to the second floor and tells them to stop calling [for Xia Ling] and suggests that they just leave him be.  YX notices then that the others are back and also suggests to YY that they should just leave and go downstairs.  When YY and YX finally leave, Xia Ling removes the bedcovers from his head, but he still looks really down. 

When YY and YX arrive downstairs, QY tries to walk past.  YY holds her back and QY tells her that she wants to go up and see him.  YY, however, suggests that she just let him be for now and says that she must also be tired after a long day.  She turns QY back around and tells her to eat first, but QY says she doesn’t have an appetite.  YX walks over and places a comforting hand on PX’s shoulder and asks how he’s doing.  He says he noticed that his (PX’s) online comments aren’t particularly friendly either.  PX answers that he doesn’t really care since the competition has to go on anyway, and YY calls him cool, saying that she likes that sort of attitude.  Her compliment of PX has YX looking at her like, “What was that?” and she quickly turns away.  LOL  She then asks QY how she’s doing and says that right now, all the online commentors are questioning their actions. QY answers that they’re all fine, as they’re used to it, and YY says that’s true, noting that they’ve all been yelled at so often they must be used to it by now.  She then points out, however, that right now Xia Ling’s receiving most of the criticisms and wonders if he’ll be able to take it.  Sun Ge calls out to XK and tells him to not think about it too much, and he nods in reply.  Sun Ge then tells everyone else to take a seat and eat, and when YX points to upstairs, he recommends they let him have some time by himself.  After YX and YY take their seats, everyone but XK picks up their chopsticks, but no one makes a move.  YX barks at Xia Ling to hurry up and come down to eat, and XK takes out his phone and posts a message on Weibo.  He says that the change up of Xia Ling playing mid-solo and PX playing jungle, was his decision as the Phenix team captain and asks everyone to please believe in them.  He then adds, “Before the dawn breaks, we will be even more courageous.”

Later that night, XK goes out to exercise and pushes himself hard while running.  When he stops to catch his breath, he hears Summer in his head suggesting that he change PX back to his original position so that things will be more reliable.  He also hears Gu Fang pointing out that it’s not just the online netizens who are criticizing him and Xia Ling, but the professionals too.  XK starts sprinting again and hears Shu Wen commenting that Xia Ling’s a naturally gifted child, but inexperienced when it comes to competition.  He stops running again and walks over to the glass railing and hangs his head as he hears Gu Fang reminding that if they lose another match, they won’t be able to enter the world championship finals.  He slams his fist down and takes deep breaths, and that’s when QY walks up to him placing her hand against his back.  He asks why she’s there and she tells him that after he posted on Weibo, all the online netizens started directing their criticisms towards him.  XK tries to joke away her concern by saying that he’s always been the man in the news, but when she keeps looking at him with concern, he takes her hand and tells her it’s okay.  He also asks her to stop worrying and tells her that he’s long accustomed himself to the online comments.  QY then suggests that he switch PX and Xia Ling back to their original positions, and XK tells her in a raised voice that of course they can’t do that.  He tells her that if they give up now, then that’ll be equivalent to him not trusting him.  QY says she understands his intentions, but – and XK cuts her off and says there are no buts.  He tells her that it wasn’t easy for Xia Ling to build up what confidence that he had, so they have to give him even more support and encouragement.  He also tell her that so long as Xia Ling can cross over this pit hole, then he’ll be able to fulfill his dreams.  QY asks what will happen if he can’t cross that pit hole and reminds XK that they’re now playing in the double loss competition, which means that if they lose one more time, Phenix won’t have a chance at the world championships.  She says that that Gu Fang, Shu Wen, Luo Tian, and Summer have all placed their hopes on Phenix, and adds that there’s also Sun Ge, PX, YX, and him.  She’s afraid that all of their dreams may fall through because of this.  At that moment, they hear PX’s voice saying, “Xia Ling’s not just your little brother,” and when they turn, they find PX, Sun Ge, and YX walking up to them.  PX then finishes his thought by saying, “He’s also our brother.”  Sun Ge adds, “In the world of iConquer, there’s only mutual trust and mutual encouragement between us brothers, as that’s the only way we’ll be able to win match after match in a competition.”  PX then says that if they’re going to give up on Xia Ling just because they lost one match, then that means Phenix will never deserve to reach the top of the world. 

The next day, QY and PX accompany Xia Ling to the hospital for his rehab.  The nurse helps him walk down the hallway slowly as she tells him to bear with it for a little bit.  When QY sees how her brother is limping along, she suggests to PX that he head back first and says she’ll be fine by herself.  PX tells her, however, that without Xia Ling around it’d be pointless for him to practice by himself when the Shadow strategy needs the both of them working cooperatively in order for it to work.  QY then thanks him, and he looks around awkwardly like he’s not used to be on the receiving end of thanks.  At that moment, QY gets a phone call.  She tells PX that she’s going to answer it and walks away; it’s her father.  Her father asks if Xia Ling went to rehab and QY reports back that he went, and that he’s currently doing it.  She tells her father that she’s watching over him and Dad asks how he’s doing.  He says he’s really worried about Xia Ling and that all the people are scolding him online today.  QY tells him it’s not any big thing and that he shouldn’t worry, and that’s when we see Xia Ling fall to the ground.  PX runs over to ask him if he’s okay and helps the nurse help him back up.  Xia Ling just grabs for his crutch though and says he wants to go get some air by himself.  As he walks away, PX reaches out to hold him back and calls his name, but Xia Ling tells him he doesn’t need his concern.  PX tells the nurse that he’ll watch over him, so she can leave first, and then he follows after Xia Ling.  After QY hangs up the phone, she runs into Xia Ling’s doctor and says she’d like to ask him if a question.  She asks why Xia Ling’s condition seems to be getting worse and worse, and the doctor answers that he thinks this is odd too.  He notes that based on Xia Ling’s recovery so far, he should be able to do without his crutches and then asks QY if he’s under any sort of mental stress.  The episode ends with a look of awareness on QY’s face.

The End

Head Pat Count (episode): 2

Head Pat Count (total): 10

Fist Bump Count (episode): 0

Fist Bump Count (total): 7

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

A scene from GYH was used on this past week's episode of Day Day Up (a variety show for which Wang Yibo is one of the regular MCs).  It starts at 34:30.  ;) 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

@themarchioness I’m swamped with work so I haven't visit soompi as much.

But I have tooo, have to, spam ep 31’s gif that i constantly stare in my phone.... I’m going to check if I have a longer one later.... 

AAAAAAaAaaAAaaarghhhhhh

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c897e5fa8ffee42e84de5d

Hahaha.. Will try to give a more coherent comment later! *byeeee*

• Love 3

@lynne22 Gahhhhhhh!!!!! That gif!!!!!!  

I’m so sorry to hear work has you swamped. No worries though, we will be here waiting for you — and your treasure trove of gifs — when you have the time again. :D 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I finally found a site with all episodes translated and I just finished this excellent drama. I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone on this thread but especially to @themarchioness  and @lynne22 for keeping this thread going.

Thanks to @themarchionessfor her fantastically detailed recaps, analysis and your little comments in brackets which made me laugh and i always agree with :lol: You recaps helped me understand a lot that I sometimes missed in the drama.

Thanks so much to @lynne22 for the excellent first post introducing us to this drama, its characters and the plot and the OST post.  I've loved all your comments, input, pictures and gifs in this thread that have helped me relive the best moments of Gank Your Heart!

I cannot believe how much I enjoyed this drama! Never in a million years did I think I would end up getting emotional about drama centred around e-sports.  I was so happy for our OTP and their loved ones to finally get the happy ending the deserved. after all the hardships.

I find most C-dramas recently overstay their welcome with a needless number of episodes.  In comparison, GYH is one of the shortest C-dramas I've watched in ages but every episode felt necessary to the character, their growth and to the plot. I was surprised by how tightly plotted this was and I think it was @lynne22who mentioned how the plot never stops moving which I totally agree with.  Many of the characters  also ended up being a lot more interesting and nuanced than I expected when I first watched the drama. It also says a lot for this drama that I ended up loving the Pioneer team almost as much as the various members of Team Legends/VNG/Ph(o!)enix (except I never really warmed to Gu Fang mainly because I thought his actor was weak and Li Gan can just get lost:P).

Like @skibbies mentioned in an earlier post I loved that Qiu Ying was a female lead with a professional dream, a boyfriend who supported and encouraged her professionally and who pursued her dream to the end.  I'm disappointed to read that isn't the case in the novel and she doesn't get back into commentating.

I think one of the reasons I liked Ji Xiangkong so much was because he was not your usual male lead. He was a lot more introspective, perceptive, low-key and, even, unpopular than you usually see in a male lead.  I feel like in another more by-the-numbers drama he might have been the best friend, rival or second male lead and I would have had serious second lead syndrome :lol:

I do have my quibbles: This is one drama where I would n't have minded a few more episodes as I would have liked more Team Phoenix time and more OTP time. I wasn't too happy with how how things were wrapped up for the OTP in the last episode or how they handled the return of Mya at the end. I would have really liked to know how things turned out for Tong Wu and Lu Sheng. They were two of the most heartbreaking characters in the drama IMO.  I also was bit disappointed for Shu Wen professionally.

Also: I am so addicted to the opening song. I have been replaying the full version over and over on YouTube.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This next episode is another one where if you go back and considering what was happening at the beginning compared to the end, you realize just how much ground this drama manages to cover in one episode.  Phew!  I have whiplash.  The first half of the episode is great.  It's also great seeing Qiao Xin and Qi Yue finally being served justice.  But the end of this episode?  I can only sigh . . . if there's one thing I can say about it, it's that it signals our entrance into the final arc of the story.  Jia you!

Episode 32

Spoiler

Episode 32

Sun Ge’s sitting in the Phenix training room where he sighs and comments that Xia Ling hasn’t spoken a word to them since the day before.  He checks the time on his watch and wonders how his rehab is going.  The camera pulls back and we that XK and YX are also there with him.  Rather than practicing, they’re checking their Weibo.  In response to the post XK made the night before, we see in rapid succession three replies from random netizens who ask XK if he’s trying to ruin PX and comment that PX never should’ve joined Phenix.  XK says they need to find a way to help him pull himself together and YX says he’s going call out all the people who have been yelling at XK and Xia Ling online.  Sun Ge grabs his phone at that comment, and then XK notices something on his.  He tells the others to go check out PX’s Weibo and when Sun Ge pulls it up, he sees that PX has updated with the following post, “Xia Ling is a rookie.  He’s also courageously reached this moment.  We won’t retreat.  The five of us are inseparable and during competitions, we won’t budge an inch.”  After reading his post, YX comments that PX normally pulls a long face but when it comes to the critical moments, he’s actually got quite a sense of brotherhood.  Sun Ge and XK agree, and XK adds that normally PX doesn’t even go on Weibo but because of Xia Ling, he specially opened a Weibo account.  YX says he has to make a response, and we see his reply, “The changing of positions was a decision made after discussions with the entire team.  We ask that everyone respect Phenix’s choice of strategies.”  Sun Ge also replies, “I ask that everyone please give us some more time.”

Back at rehab, Xia Ling walks outside the hospital and PX runs to catch up to him.  He calls out to Xia Ling and tells him to stop where he is.  He asks Xia Ling if he’s going to let himself be defeated all because of one match and Xia Ling answers that he doesn’t need his concern. PX continues talking anyway and tells him that all of them believe in him.  He then asks why Xia Ling can’t believe in himself.  Xia Ling says he doesn’t want to be a burden on everyone and PX tells him that from the day he joined the team, he was already a burden to them.  He points out how he gave up his mid-solo position for him, and then asks him how he played it.  He asks Xia Ling if he’s being worthy of him (PX) and then snatches away his crutch to ask if he’s being worthy of the team.  Xia Ling falls to the ground when PX takes away his crutch and QY runs out at that moment, yelling out for PX.  PX, however, just tosses Xia Ling’s crutch aside and away from him and calls him a “good-for-nothing.”  QY finally reaches the two of them and asks PX if he’s gone crazy.  She pushes at him and asks him what he’s doing.  She then runs over to Xia Ling, but PX tells her not to help him because he’s “just a good-for-nothing.”  QY tells Xia Ling to get up and PX continues his attack by saying he’s a good-for-nothing who doesn’t even dare to stand.  QY yells at PX to shut up and asks what nonsense he’s spouting, but that just causes him to to turn his focus to her as he asks if she understands the iConquer game.  He tells her, “You don’t even know what iConquer is.  I really don’t know how you became a commentator.  If it hadn’t been for JXK, you wouldn’t be anything today.  You’re a good-for-nothing. He’s a good-for-nothing.  Good-for-nothings.”  QY tells him that he’s gone overboard and Xia Ling finally musters enough anger to rise to his feet and rush at PX with a punch to the face as he tells him to shut-up.  When he moves to hit him again, PX blocks the second punch and smiles, saying, “You stood up.”  He then throws down Xia Ling’s arm and it’s as if Xia Ling’s surprised to find that he really is standing on his own two feet.

The three of them return to the Phenix training base and QY announces their return to the other three by calling out that they’re back.  QY puts away Xia Ling’s crutch and YX and Sun Ge comment in surprise when they see that Xia Ling’s not using his crutch.  YX then notices the bruise on PX’s face and asks, “PX, his leg is better, but what happened to your face?”  PX answers vaguely, “Oh, the kid’s a little immature,” and both Xia Ling and QY laugh.  Xia Ling tells everyone that he saw their Weibo posts and then comments that he won’t be that easily defeated.  YX approves of his attitude and says he pulled himself together pretty quickly.  Xia Ling responds by saying, “A Xuan, how about a match?” and YX replies back, “Call me Xun Ge.”  Xia Ling laughs and Sun Ge remarks to YX that with the way he’s behaving, he’s even less mature than Xia Ling and asks how he can expect him to call him Xuan Ge.  YX grouses that if they’re all going to gang up on him, then he won’t play with them and right at that moment, they hear a loud laughing noise from the other room.  They all immediately head for the living room wondering what’s going on and wonder if that didn’t sound like Summer.

It was Summer and he’s arrived with Luo Tian, Gu Fang, and Shu Wen, all of whom are carrying laptops with them.  XK asks “Captain” (Gu Fang) why they’re there and PX says, “Thanks, brother!”  Summer holds up his hand immediately and tells him to stop saying thank you because it’s gotten to the point where the minute he says thank you, Summer becomes scared.  [LOL, love these cousins.]  Gu Fang then apologizes to XK.  XK asks why he’s suddenly apologizing to him and Gu Fang answers that they shouldn’t have asked him to give up on the Shadow strategy just because of one competition, causing him to even doubt his own teammates.  XK says he knows they were just trying to be helpful and Summer, who can never handle when things are getting too emotional, tells everyone that’s enough.  He then says he’ll get right to the point, which is that they should hurry up and start and let him experience their Shadow strategy.  Only PX looks happy while everyone else on the Phenix team looks at each other in confusion, not understanding what’s going on.  Shu Wen then clarifies things (in a roundabout way) by saying, “At any rate, we’re also people who’ve won the world championships before.  Even though you guys are younger, we won’t show any mercy.”  Luo Tian also looks at his hands and says, “It’s been such a long time since I’ve practiced, I don’t know if I’ll be rusty or not.”  Summer teases back that he absolutely will be rusty and QY exclaims over the idea of all these expert players serving as their training partners.  Summer tells her that this is all PX’s fault and then complains about how the “rascal” had said he was going to treat him to a meal, which was the first time he had ever invited him for a meal, but really it was to ask him to come be their training partners.  YX praises PX for having managed to bring the five great players from back in the day before them and PX tells him it was just a matter of one meal.  YX laughs and Sun Ge says, “Okay, let’s see if these old rascals really are ‘treasured knives who haven’t aged.’”  Everyone laughs and Summer points out to Sun Ge that he’s talking as if he isn’t old like them.  Xia Ling points at the Pioneer members and asks if they aren’t lacking a person and YX bumps at him, telling him that all they have to do is add one more computer.  XK suggets they can play as they normally do with four against five, and PX says they can have QY go over to the other side.  But the Pioneer team has something else in mind as they all smile at each other and look back at the front door.  That’s when Gu Fang calls for someone to enter and as the Phenix members strain to see who it is, QY suddenly exclaims excitedly that it’s Li Xiao Feng [also known as “Sky”; this is a cameo by real-life, former Chinese pro gamer, Li Xiao Feng].  She comments to XK that he’s China’s first esports player and the other members from Phenix start muttering over the same, while QY says he was the first to stand at the top of the world with China’s flag draped around his shoulders.  He’s also the first person from China to win the world championships twice.  With their arms around Li Xiao Feng’s shoulders, Gu Fang asks if they’re scared now and the Phenix just stare back at them in stupefication.  Xia Ling hits at YX and asks if he’s dreaming and him to pinch him.  Gu Fang coughs and says, “Let me make an introduction.  This is Li Xiao Feng, my good friend of many years, and recently, he’s been starting up a business specializing in esports equipment.  It’s really not easy to meet up with him, but I specially asked him to come over and be your training partner.”  XK tells Gu Fang that he’s never heard him talk about this before and he just slyly answers that he can’t possibly tell him everything.  Li Xia Feng looks at them and asks, “What’s the matter?  It looks like you’re all not that happy to see me, maybe I should just withdraw” and that’s when the Phenix team finally leaps into action as, as one, they tell him that’s not the case.  Sun Ge nudges at XK to make a move and he steps forward, wiping his hands on his pants, and holds out his hand in greeting to introduce himself as the team’s captain.  He explains they’re all just surprised as they never imagined he’d be able to be there.  Li Xiao Feng tells him that Gu Fang has mentioned his name many times before; he’s the legendary Master Battleground Swindler.  He then adds that he came today with the purpose of seeing just how good he really is.  XK responds instantly and modestly that he doesn’t dare, and tells him that he’s their senior so they should be learning from them.  YX then steps forward, fumbling over his greeting much to the amusement of others, and when the handshake ends, he looks at his hands in amazement and says they’ve been blessed.  Everyone laughs and YX tells Li Xiao Feng that they’ve all grown up watching him, so he’s the idol of every esports players.  As he continues his speech about what an honor it is to train with him, Li Xiao Feng starts wagging his finger in recognition and says, “Oh, you’re LYX.”  YX asks if he knows him and Li Xiao Feng answers, “Yes, with that image of yours, I can tell with just one look you’re the support.”  Everyone laughs at the teasing but YX doesn’t take offense; he’s too excited over the fact that his idol knows him.  Li Xiao Feng says it’s not just him though, as he also knows about PX, Xia Ling, and Lao Sun (Sun Ge).  He says they’re this year’s dark horse that came out of nowhere, so it’d be hard not to know them.  Sun Ge tells him that it was because he once watched him win the world championship that he also made the decision to become a pro gamer, and Xia Ling says shyly that he is also a fan of his.  PX objects to that and tells Xia Ling he’s his fan, and Xia Ling can only smile awkwardly and nod.  YX then tells him to hand over his phone and then walks over to try to take a picture.  XK drags him back while Summer tells him that’s enough, and Gu Fang tells them that if they want signatures and pictures, they’ll take care of that later.  But right now, they should make the most of their time to play a game and practice.  With that announcement made, everyone disperses to get set up.

As Summer walks over to the kitchen bar, he asks Luo Tian if he’ll be able to handle it given how he’s now focused on commentating only and wonders if he’ll be rusty.  Luo Tian takes a seat next to him and shoots back that he’ll be better than him.  While those two are over at the kitchen counter, Shu Wen, Li Xiao Feng, and Gu Fang are sitting at the dining table.  Luo Tian tells Summer not to come over as he doesn’t have any problem handling XK, and QY stands over XK and tells him to be careful of Luo Tian.  XK mutters that he can’t believe Luo Tian is blocking him and then calls out to him, saying that his guess was accurate and asks how he knew he’d be there.  Luo Tian answers back by saying, “If I didn’t have a sense for you, how could I be a commentator?”  PX says he sees his cousin coming and Xia Ling scoffs that he must have been chased back, noting that he’s been waiting a long time for him.  Gu Fang tells Summer not to chase after him, and the Phenix team observe with amusement that Summer is back again.  Summer calls out for his team members to save him, but too late!  When he groans, Shu Wen scolds him for being an embarrassment.  Li Xiao Feng comments that the kids aren’t bad, and in the background we see QY trying to sneak a peak at Luo Tian’s computer as he pushes her head away.  She then runs back to her team and tells them that they’re about to start a group battle, so they should hurry. 

The montage continues and we see QY drape a blanket around PX who’s slumped over the table sleeping before walking over the living room couch to do the same for Xia Ling, Gu Fang, and XK.  I love how Summer’s curled up with his hoodie tied tightly over his head.  The Phenix team then participates in another match and we see them pump their fists in the air before returning to the Phenix training base where the Pionner team and Li Xiao Feng return for another training session.  Summer says they’re to seek revenge and when they comment on how he’s still so childish, he takes off his backpack and tells them to get hurry up and start.  During the training session, the Phenix team celebrate another win and then it’s break time as we see the two teams sharing take-out together.  We go back to the competition site where Phenix wins another match and then it’s back to the Phenix training base, where the Phenix and Pioneer teams huddle up for a group selfie.  Everyone then gathers behind Li Xiao Feng and watches in amazement over his awesome skills, and then it’s back to the competition site where the Phenix team is on stage celebrating another win.  Luo Tian, sitting in the commentator’s box, congratulates Phenix for winning twice in a row and successfully breaking away from the loser’s bracket, and A Can announces that their next match will be against VNG for the final championships. 

At the Phenix training base, they have finished another match against the Pioneer team. Summer says he let them win and other members of the Pioneer team clap their hands and praise the Phenix team for being impressive.  They say they’ll be leaving now and XK tells them that they really, really appreciate their help because if it hadn’t been for their special training, they wouldn’t have been able to show so much improvement in such a short amount of time.  Gu Fang modestly replies that they weren’t that important and that the person who rendered the most outstanding service was, actually, themselves.  The other Pioneer members nod their head in agreement and Li Xiao Feng chimes in to say that watching them reminds him of how they used to be back in the days.  Back then, their training environment was worse than theirs and they didn’t have sponsors or anyone giving them encouragement.  All they could rely on was their passion and belief in the game to support them through their competitions.  YX asks Li Xiao Feng if he has any tips to help them win the championships at once, or even better still, win two different types of championships.  The others laugh and shake their heads at YX, and Li Xiao Feng answers, “Tips?” and then shares that actually, what’s most important is still their training.  They should focus on their weak points and practice continuously; they should practice until they are able to surpass others; and they should practice until they can turn their weaknesses into their strengths.  He also adds that apart from that, their understanding of the game and their attitude, their ability to balance out everyone’s abilities, and their relationships and teamwork, will all become a very important point for their upcoming competition.  The others nod in emphatic agreement and Luo Tian says, “That’s true.  When we used to practice, we used to practice until it became dry and dull, and even had thoughts of giving up.  In fact, one time Summer and I tried running away.”  Summer objects to him telling the story in front of all the kids and Shu Wen asks if it was only the one time.  She says it was a lot of times, and that every time it was she who dragged them back and gave them counseling sessions.  Summer and Luo Tian point to each other and start blaming the other for their actions.  Luo Tian says it was because Summer was dragging him down and Summer can’t believe he’s accusing him of that; he tells Luo Tian that he looks honest, but he’s actually evil.  Everyone laughs at the two friends bickering and Li Xiao Feng says he really envies them for having a circle of friends who cherish the same ideals and join hands with them to move forward.  He tells them that iConquer is a game of brotherhood and that so long as the five of them join hands and work hard, they will be definitely be invincible.  The Pioneer members nod their heads in agreement and XK tells them to worry, as they won’t let down their hopes and expectations, but instead will help China’s esports once more ascend to the top of the world.  Li Xiao Feng says he believes they can do it and Gu Fang reminds them that tomorrow is the final match.  He then adds that they’ll be waiting to celebrate them, and tells them to “jia you.” 

Meanwhile, over at VNG, the team is also hard at work practicing but it doesn’t sound like it’s going very well as the conversation consists essentially of the members asking each other what they’re doing and telling them to stop doing whatever they’re doing.  Qi Yue, as expected, curses out his fellow teammates but it looks like it’s Qi Yue and Tong Wu who are especially at loggerheads.  When the game finishes and they lose, Qi Yue complains that his teammates are useless, especially Tong Wu.  He asks why Tong Wu wouldn’t come over to help him just now and Tong Wu responds that if he had, that would’ve been like letting himself be killed in vain.  Qi Yue hurls a water bottle at him and yells that he’s the captain, so if he tells him to come, then he should come.  Tong Wu jumps up immediately to pick up the water bottle and starts to apologize, but Lu Sheng interjects and asks Qi Yue if he can not get physical, even if he is the team captatin.  Qi Yue asks if there’s anything wrong with him scolding Tong Wu and tells Lu Sheng he can leave if he doesn’t agree.  Lu Sheng doesn’t hesitate to leave and as he gets up, he tells Qi Yue that he’s not worthy of being the captain.  Qi Yue confronts him by asking what he said, and when he repeats the question in an angrier voice, Lu Sheng answers, “I told you to be careful.  VNG is doomed, having a captain like you.”  Qi Yue punches Lu Sheng and a fight ensues.  Tong Wu watches in horror and yells for them to stop, but when they don’t, he screams at the top of his lungs that if he [Qi Yue] keeps hitting [Lu Sheng], he’ll report him.”  Qi Yue gets up immediately, turning his attention to Tong Wu, and asks him what he’ll report him for.  When he keeps screaming the question, Tong Wu tells him that he’d better not think that nobody else knows what happened in that meeting room because he saw everything.  After he finishes dropping that bomb, he breaks free from Qi Yue and starts running away.  It takes Qi Yue a few seconds to figure out what Tong Wu was talking about, but once he does, he leaps to action and runs after him and tells him to stop running.  Eventually, Lu Sheng also emerges from the training room.  He’s in pain and his face is bruised, but he makes an effort to try and catch up to the others.  Outside in the VNG open office area, the staff members look on curiously to see the members in-fighting. 

Lu Sheng eventually finds Tong Wu somewhere outside on a park bench.  He’s incredibly nervous and, in fact, it startled when he hears someone walk up behind him and only relaxes marginally when he notices it’s Lu Sheng and not anybody else.  He takes the water bottle that Lu Sheng offers him and thanks him for his help earlier and asks if he’s okay.  Lu Sheng says he just knew he’d be hiding here again and tells him that Qi Yue is looking everywhere for him.  In pain, he takes a seat and then asks Tong Wu what he meant by his earlier words.  He also wonders why Qi Yue is so anxious and asks Tong Wu what he saw.  At first, Tong Wu tries to say he saw nothing but when Lu Sheng asks if it has anything to do with the leakage of the team’s strategies and he sees Tong Wu’s expression, he has his answer and says he long suspected Qi Yue was the one behind it because he just wanted to chase JXK out.  Tong Wu tells him that he watched him with his own eyes that day turning on the recorder and then going to meet with Qiao Xin after the meeting.  Lu Sheng asks why he didn’t say something back then and Tong Wu tells him that he didn’t dare to.  He adds that by the time he wanted to say something, both XK and Shu Wen left.  Lu Sheng tells him that even though XK’s already left, if they don’t clarify this matter, it will forever be a stain on his professional career.  He also points out how QY was fired from GDV over this matter and tells Tong Wu that if he still thinks of XK as a brother, then he thinks he should step forward.  When Tong Wu wrinkles his brows, Lu Sheng asks why he’s still hesitating.  He asks whether he’s afraid Qi Yue will chase him out and then scoffs and asks how far he thinks the current VNG will be able to go anyway.  Tong Wu, however, tells him that he’s not afraid of Qi Yue chasing him out nor is he scared of Qi Yue.  His concern is that he doesn’t have any evidence.  He asks whether Lu Sheng thinks the committee will believe him even if he does step forward and Lu Sheng suggests that, if that’s the case, they go find Luo Tian.  He says that Luo Tian’s currently investigating the matter and when Tong Wu doesn’t say anything he asks again what Tong Wu’s hesitating over and offers to go with him.  He then says that the worst thing that could happen is that the both of them leave [VNG] together.  Tong Wu finally nods. 

Outside of the GDV office building, Tong Wu waits nervously while Lu Sheng gives him a reassuring pat on the back.  He then pats him again to get his attention when he notices that Luo Tian has come out to meet them.  Rushing over, they greet Luo Tian politely and he, in turn, cuts to the chase by asking if what they told him is the truth.  He asks whether Qi Yue really made the recording before passing it on to Qiao Xin.  Tong Wu looks to Lu Sheng, who gives him another encouraging pat on the arm, and so he tells Luo Tian that he saw it with his own eyes; they were outside the hotel gym’s entrance.  Luo Tian gives this some thought and then suggests they head over to the hotel to ask them for their security camera footage and see if they can find any evidence.  When Tong Wu and Lu Sheng nod their heads in agreement over this idea, Luo Tian tells them to follow him to his car. 

Later, Luo Tian meets with QY at the Phenix training base.  As he drinks his cup of tea, she comments on how he came to help them practice even though he’s so busy and Luo Tian answers that they hadn’t played together in a competition in a long time either.  He tells her that this place reminds him of those days when they fought together.  [Fought, in the sense that they were fighting their way towards a goal; not that they were physically fighting each other.]  After a pause, he tells her that there’s finally been some progress regarding the matter of the leaked strategy and that the organizing committee will probably release their findings soon.  QY thanks him for his continued assistance and Luo Tian reminds her that he had promised he would clear her name.  He then asks whether she would be willing to return to being a commentator once the matter of the leaked strategy is cleared up.  QY doesn’t quite know how to answer that question.  She tells him that of course she’s willing, but right now, Phenix really needs her too.  Luo Tian smiles and nods his head in understanding.

It’s the 2019 Spring Tournamen finals.  The Phenix team’s van pulls up to the competition site and a crowd of people rush over, chanting for them to return PX to them, to return PX to the mid-solo position, and to swap Xia Ling out of the position.  Inside the van, Xia Ling watches the crowd nervously and PX leans over to give him a reassuring pat on the arm.  Despite the fact that Xia Ling’s sitting closest to the door, it’s XK who opens the door and alights first.  He’s followed by QY and I love how XK then turns back to watch all of his team members exit the van before walking in together, doing their best to ignore the cacophony of the crowd.

Inside the competition site, Luo Tian and A Can greet and welcome the audience to the 2019 iConquer Spring Tournament finals.  A Can explains to the audience that today’s match will be the newly advanced dark horse Phenix team against the old and established VNG team and that between them, only one of them will be able to win the only ticket to the world champhionship finals.  Luo Tian says, “That’s right,” and notes how iConquer is finally holding their world championships there in China so he hopes that one of their Chinese teams will be able to win honor for the homeland on their own land.  He then asks that audience to use their loudest applause to welcome the two teams, Phenix and VNG, on to the stage.  As Qi Yue and XK lead their teams on to the stage, they glare at each other and then the two teams line up rank and file to greet the audience, which includes Shu Wen and Summer sitting next to QY.  The crowd applauds loudly and then Luo Tian announces that the competition is officially beginning.  Both teams are invited to take their seats and then we leap to seeing them in the middle of their match.  The Phenix team is basically chanting that they can attack and over on the VNG side, Lu Sheng is suggesting that they not make a move while Qi Yue tells his teammates that they shouldn’t be afraid of XK since he only knows two tricks.  YX comments that Lu Sheng can’t seem to earn any money and XK instructs them to continue giving him pressure.  Xia Ling shares that things are steady in the center and then Luo Tian suddenly and excitedly announces that Xia Ling has managed a a direct triple kill.  He tells the audience that Xia Ling is no longer the rookie that they knew in the beginning.  Qi Yue directs Shen Yue to take down the “overreaching Xia Ling,” but Lu Sheng points out they don’t know where PX is.  He tells his teammates to be careful and over on the Phenix side, YX announces excitedly that they can attack.  XK says he’s giving it to them and YX tells Xia Ling to hurry up and chase them.  A Can tells the audience that Xia Ling swooped in to assist right on time, and just as he starts to wonder how his economic state is, on stage, XK calls Xia Ling over to reap the harvest.  They then tell Xia Ling to start his show and all the members of the Phenix team smile broadly as they begin their final wave of attack.  Qi Yue tries to tell his teammates to hurry, but it’s too late.  The Phenix team is already attacking their final crystal tower, and the first game goes to Phenix.  Both Luo Tian and A Can congratulate Phenix and the crowd goes wild, especially QY, Shu Wen and Summer.  [I love how QY’s got a sign for JXK and Summer has a banner for PX.  Shu Wen, where’s your sign for Sun Ge???]

Outside the competition site, Xia Ling’s mother walks up to the security guard and tries to sweet talk him by telling him that her son is inside participating in the competition and asks if she can go in to watch.  He asks her if she has a ticket, but of course she doesn’t otherwise she wouldn’t even need to ask.  At that moment, QY’s father returns.  She asks if he was able to buy any tickets and he asks how there could be when they were sold out long ago.  He tells her instead that he called QY and that she’ll be out shortly to fetch them.  Sure enough, QY runs out right at that moment.  She shows her employee’s card to the security guard and then greets the parents by asking her father why they suddenly showed up to watch the competition.  Her father explains they were watching at home, but they didn’t understand what they were watching and Xia Ling’s mom couldn’t stop worrying about him.  He asks if they can go in and QY answers, “Auntie, Dad, hurry up and enter with me.”  [What a difference in attitude QY and Xia Ling’s mother now have with each other!]  Xia Ling’s mother apologies for giving her such troubles, but QY reassures that it’s not a problem.

By the time QY returns to the competition arena with the parents, the third game is about to start.  She points out Xia Ling to his mother, who in turn points him out to QY’s father.  He says he sees him and then QY tells them to hurry over, leading them back to her seat.  On QY’s other side, Fei Mao and Shou Hou Zi from Dream Journey had been sitting next to her and she thanks them as they get up to move to the second row, allowing the parents to take their seats. 

After they take their seats, with QY sitting in between the parents, she explains that the match is already 1 to 1 right now so they’re at match point.  Xia Ling’s mother looks up at the game characters and asks which one is Xia Ling.  QY points out the one in the middle, Zhi Heng, and when her father still can’t figure out which one that is, she describes him as the one with the purple hair.  Mom asks if he’s the one wearing the red outfit and QY tells her that’s right.  Mom then tries to point him out to Dad, but he tells her that he’s already figured it out.  He tells her to stop talking so much as the game’s about to start and QY actually finds amusement in their good-natured bickering.  On stage, XK tells his teammates to be careful and on the VNG side, Qi Yue also calls out to commands to his teammates.  QY tells Mom not to worry because right now Xia Ling needs only 300 more coins and so long as he buys all of the equipment that he needs, he’ll be able to beat all the others.  Mom naively asks how much money is needed for that and QY laughs in amusement as she explains it’s fake [money].  On the VNG side, Qi Yue says he can attack as they see Xia Ling and on the Phenix side, YX shares that Qi Yue and SHen Yue are in their jungle.  He asks if they should catch them, but XK answers no.  He instructs instead that they come back to their home base to put on an act and YX says okay.  XK then tells Xia Ling to act as a bait and from the commentator’s box, A Can remarks that it looks like Xia Ling’s in a dangerous position.  Luo Tian, the keener observer of the two, wonders if Xia Ling’s acting as a bait and points out how the twin moon combination wouldn’t let such an opportunity pass by.  On stage, Xia Ling announces that the other side took the bait and the others praise him while PX says he’ll come over to help him.  Luo Tian announces excitedly that PX has arrived from behind to catch their opponents unaware and praises them for the move, while A Can says this strategy of using a bait was pretty good.  Qi Yue tells PX to wait [and see] and then rushes to tell his team that they shouldn’t attack.  In the commentator’s box, Luo Tian narrates that the twin moon combination managed to escape death, but XK and YX have now arrived and A Can narrates that it looks like VNG is about to lose one of their towers.  He notes how the Phenix team won an advantage through this move and the crowd cheers.  Xia Ling’s mother asks what this means and QY explains that they took a detour to this side and so long as they take down the final crystal tower, they’ll win.  The VNG team rushes to take remedial measures by retreating, but when Lu Sheng suggests they develop themselves some more instead of fighting, Qi Yue tells him to shut up.  XK, meanwhile, instructs Xia Ling and PX to switch places and tells them that they’ll push from the middle.  Both Xia Ling and PX say okay and Sun Ge chimes in that he’s coming over.  A Can says it looks like VNG is in for it now; yet, they’re not giving up either.  Shen Yue and Tong Wu go after PX and A Can comments in an impressed tone over how his Phenix teammates run in to assist.  Luo Tian agrees and says that it’s because YX and Sun Ge worked well with XK that they were able to arrive quickly by PX’s side.  He then says that VNG needs to hurry up and run away or risk getting into trouble, and A Can agrees that they’ll be doomed.  We hear QY’s voice cheering in the audience and Xia Ling’s mother asks if they’ve won.  She tells her not yet as they’re currently destroying one of the other team’s turrets, and that they need to knock down the crystal one to win.  XK tells his teammates that they can continue attacking and his teammates respond.  Luo Tian continues to comment on what’s happening in the game.  He asks if VNG’s about to start a group fight, but A Can says there’s no way they can start one since they don’t have the resources to do so.  Luo Tian then points out how they haven’t yet realized that the one in the middle should be PX right now.  A Can asks if PX wasn’t just playing in the jungle and Luo Tian tells him that this is the Shadow strategy, which allows them to change their positions flexibly and catch their opponents off guard.  He then tells A Can to take a close look at Xia Ling’s current location and says that if the other team where to start a group fight right now, they would end up being the ones at a disadvantage.  Sure enough, on stage, Qi Yue observes that there are only four people on the other side now and commands his people to hurry up and start a fight.  Lu Sheng suggests they stay back a little if they can’t handle the damages, and tells the others to wait for him.  XK, meanwhile, notes that the other side has started a fight and tells his people to fight with them.  A Can narrates that Shen Yue has started a fight and XK immediately announces that he’s gained control of one, while Lu Sheng complains that Shen Yue’s too far out in front.  Luo Tian then narrates how PX is in the process of executing a move and then announces that that he’s managed to do away with Shen Yue before immediately retreating behind YX to prepare for the next wave of attack.  Qi Yue tells Shen Yue to slow down and be more steady, and XK tells Xia Ling he can come over and do his thing now; there are four of them.  YX chimes in, “It’s show time, little bro!” and Xia Ling speaks up to say he’s about to begin.  On screen, we see Xia Ling start to execute his moves and A Can wonders where Xia Ling suddenly came from and how he managed to appear from behind VNG.  This makes things dangerous for VNG and on stage, we see Qi Yue react in frustration and anger as the computer announces a double kill and XK repeats the same, praising Xia Ling for the move.  Almost immediately, the computer announces a third kill followed by a fourth kill.  The crowd goes wild and QY’s dad asks if this is it.  She tells him not yet, but almost; they’re about to win.  Luo Tian and A Can go wild over the fact that VNG has been entirely wiped out and praise Xia Ling for how well he played in this final wave of attack.  A Can is especially impressed by how he he was able to appear from out of nowhere like a ghost.  He says he never imagined that could be possible and Luo Tian narrates how Phenix is continuing to push forward.  His reaction shows that he’s also incredibly impressed and comments on how this has allowed them to win the last ticket to the world championship finals.  A Can notes though that VNG still has 8 seconds to resurrect and wonders if they’ll be able to regroup in time for another fight, but Xia Ling manages to kill Qi Yue again and A Can observes that Xia Ling has single-handedly destroyed VNG’s changes of resurrecting in time.  He then asks who would dare say now that Xia Ling is a crippled mid-solo.  Xia Ling’s parents cheer him on from the audience and A Can observes that Phenix is currently taking down the final crystal tower, leaving VNG without an opportunity to resurrect.  VNG can only watch as Phenix finishes the game. 

As the computer system announces the end to the game, the crowd goes wild and that includes QY who’s now on her feet with the parents.  She and Xia Ling’s mother hug and it’s a moment that her father can’t help but notice with pleasure.  On stage, the Phenix team celebrates their win while QI Yue yanks off his headset and starts berating his teammates for being useless and stupid.  [Worst. Team. Captain. Ever.]  As one, the audience starts to chant, “Phenix! Champion!” and Luo Tian congratulates Phenix for being the champions of the Spring tournament.  The two teams shake hands and give hugs, and then Phenix takes center stage.  Both YX and PX encourage Xia Ling to lead the way and so it’s he who steps forward while everyone else gathers around him.  As he raises his first in triumph, his mother turns to QY with a look of appreciation on her face as she gives her another hug.  QY’s father joins in the hug and QY’s expression in this moment reflects the knowledge of all the hard work the team has put in as well as the trials and tribulations they’ve had to overcome.  As the Phenix team bows to the audience and basks in the well-deserved limelight, Luo Tian and A Can come running down from the commentator's box to join them on stage.  I love that the first thing Luo Tian does is give Sun Ge a giant bear hug.  Since Luo Tian is otherwise occupied, it’s A Can who congratulates Phenix for winning the Spring tournament as well as the last ticket to world championship finals.  He adds that he knows Phenix has endured a lot of doubts to arrive at this point, particularly with respect to their strategies, and so he asks XK, as the team’s captain, what led him to persist in using the Shadow strategy.  XK answers that it was because he always believed in his teammates, and A Can says his trust in his teammates was their most powerful weapon against their opponents.  Luo Tian turns to Sun Ge and comments that he must’ve experienced a lot of pressure and doubts from others after jumping back into things and Sun Ge agrees that actually, it wasn’t easy for him to return to the competitive stage.  His fans cheer him on in the audience, calling out that they support him, and Shu Wen also yells out, “Jia you!”  He thanks everyone and then says he only enjoys the competition and its course of events, and again thanks everyone.  Luo Tian says he has faith the Phenix team will have a long future ahead of them so he tells Sun Ge to enjoy this competition, which belongs to him, to the fullest.  A Can then announces that the MVP for today’s match is Xia Ling and all his teammates start patting him on the back, both happy for him and proud of him.  Dad goes wild in the audience and A Can comments on how Xia Ling was able to become the MVP after only one competitive season.  He asks Xia Ling if he has anything he wants to say to the audience and just as he’s about to answer, he notices his parents cheering for him in the crowd, with his mom calling out that he’s the best.  That’s when he changes his answer and says, “I want to tell my Dad, my Mom, and my Sister that I won the championships!  I’ve proven myself!!”  After he bows deeply in their direction, he steps down from the stage to embrace his mother.  A Can says that Xia Ling has used his own methods to tell all the fans who love iConquer that life may be able to defeat health, but it can’t defeat your determination.  He congratulates Xia Ling once more and then both Summer and Shu Wen climb on to the stage to join in the festivities.  A Can narrates for the crowd that they’re members of the former Pioneer team and points out that below the stage, there’s also the Phenix team’s team leader, QY.  As she steps forward, XK helps her onto the stage and the crowd goes calls out a unified, “Ooooh,” as they give each other a hug.  [I like how XK looks up from the hug; it’s like he’s saying to the crowd, “Yeah, that’s right.  She’s mine.”]  As Xia Ling rejoins the team on stage, A Can says to the audience, “Let us follow Phenix to an even bigger stage.  Hopefully, they will be able to help China win another championship trophy.  Let us go to the top of the world together!”  As the confetti goes flying, A Can yells out, “What’s their slogan?” and the crowd chants back, “Yu Huo Bu Mie, Nie Pan Chong Sheng!”  [I love how Dad chants the slogan as well.  The parents are so cute with how happy they are.]

Back at the Phenix training base, the team gathers along with Summer, Shu Wen, and YY to celebrate.  As everyone takes a seat, YY remains standing and says she has something to say.  While everyone is present and happy, she wants to use this opportunity as a reporter to ask everyone a few interview questions.  Like a devoted boyfriend, even though he’s not (officially) one, YX asks everyone to cooperate.  YY then says she’ll start with . . . as she looks around the room, YX looks at her expectantly, but she chooses XK to start with first.  He agrees and she asks, “As the team captain, do you have anything you’d like to say after seeing Phenix walk step by step to where it is today?”  Before answering, XK clarifies whether she’s asking officially or unofficially, and everyone laughs.  YX asks him to answer seriously as he’s being interviewed and so XK answers, “What I want to say is, Phenix is something that has been continuously growing from nothing until now.  I’ve been wanting to thank my brothers.”  When he finishes, Summer remarks teasingly that that really was an official answer and YY turns to Xia Ling, while YX sulks.  YY tells Xia Ling that he’s the youngest player in the entire league and a genius player, and asks if there’s anything he would like to say.  He answers that his earliest dream was to be a hero on the basketball court.  But now, there’s everyone and there’s the Phenix team, so he can still be a hero!  Everyone applauds his positive and determined attitude and when QY pats him on the back, YY starts to tease her by pointing out to everyone how QY, as his sister, is about to cry and tells her not to cry.  She then continues with PX while YX continues to sulk.  YY says to PX that a lot of people have said he’s changed and that he no longer only cares about himself.  She asks, compared to the past, which version of himself he likes best and he answers that of course he prefers his current self.  She asks if he’s willing to share why that is with them and just as he nods in agreement, YX pulls her back and asks why she has so many “why” questions.  He tells her that he’s all prepared and indicates she should interview him, but she asks what he’s so anxious about and turns back to PX, saying she’s not yet done.  That’s when QY tells PX that she’s always wanted to ask him why he enjoys being a waiter at Dream Journey so much and making coffee for everyone.  That’s when PX reveals that he likes being with everyone; he likes that feeling of being needed by everyone.  He then adds that the current version of his self has something that’s more important than winning competitions; he has a group of true brothers that he can compete with.  He then thanks everyone one.  Summer claps his cousin on the shoulder and tells him that seeing all these changes in him, and seeing how he’s made so many true friends, he’s really happy for him.  Xia Ling also tells him that he next time he needs someone to open a protective shield, he should let him know because he’s also a hero in his heart.  XK tells him not to worry because now that he has them as friends, he’ll never be lonely again.  YX then says that since everyone’s sharing their deepest feelings, then he’ll say something too.  He turns to XK and says, “Thank you, Kong Ge.”  When XK responds with a lift in the eyebrow, as if wondering what he’s talking about, he continue, “For helping me each of the step of the way to grow from being a delivery boy to a professional player.  To even being able to enter the world championship finals.”  He then thanks every person sitting at the table for putting up with him, LXY, who’s full of bad habits; and thanks Phenix for giving him the confidence to walk to the top of the world.  Sun Ge speaks up then to say that Phenix isn’t just a team, it’s a family.  He says he’s very grateful to everyone for allowing him, the oldest player in the league, to return and compete once more.  He adds that he hopes they’ll be able to continue walking forward, one step at a time, until they reach the top.  Shu Wen chimes in that everything [she] wanted to do in the past, have now been fulfilled by Phenix.  She then turns to XK and says, “Congratulations, you finally found your perfect team.”  Summer, whom we know can never handle the emotional and cheesy for too long, slams his fists on the table and says that’s enough.  He complains that he’s starving and then stands up so they can clink their glasses once more.  He turns things over to XK for the toast, and XK in turns says he’ll keep things short and simple and says, “See you at the world championship finals!” 

After dinner, XK and QY take a walk by the river.  He asks her what she’s thinking about and she tells him that she’s thinking about what he’ll look like when he’s standing on the stage at the world championship finals.  She adds that she bets he’ll be really handsome.  After a pause, XK apologizes to her.  When she asks for what, he answers that he didn’t help her fulfill her dreams.  He then elaborates about how Tong Wu and Lu Sheng came to find him the day before and told him how it was Qi Yue and QIao Xin who worked together to leak the team’s strategy.  He says it was he who dragged her down causing her to not be able to continue being a commentator.  QY asks how he can blamed for this and points out that without Qiao Xin, Qi Yue wouldn’t have been able to do this on his own.  XK still blames himself though and says that if it hadn’t been for this matter, then maybe she really would be able to stand on the stage at the world championships, narrating Phenix’s every match.  QY responds by asking if it isn’t just as good that she’ll now be going as the team’s leader, and XK answers that the commentator’s stage is what’s really her stage and it’s her dream as well.  QY reassure him that it’s okay and tells him that once the investigation is over and things are cleared up, she’ll be able to return to the commentator’s stage then.  XK pulls her in for a hug and HEAD PAT.  [I know, I know, it may not technically  be a head pat but I’ve been including every time he runs his hands down the back of her head too, so all these cute hugs get included in the head pat count too.] 

Right at that moment, XK’s phone rings.  When he checks the screen, they see Miya’s name pop up.  He hesitates and looks at QY, but she tells him it’s okay and that he should answer the call as she’s not that narrow-minded.  After he answers, it’s Tony who greets him on the opposite end with an urgent voice. He tells XK that something happened to Miya and when XK reacts with a, “What?!” he explains that Miya fell from a wire during the dress rehearsal and she’s been sent to the hospital. 

XK and QY arrive at the hospital together where XK asks a nurse for directions to Miya’s hospital room.  When they arrive, they discover Miya in bed with bandages over her eyes and Tony and her personal assistant also in the room.  XK asks how Miya’s doing now and Tony says they’ll go out to talk.  Leading XK and QY back into the hallway, Tony updates that Miya just fell asleep but there’s a blood clot in her brain and it’s already pressing against the nerve.  As for the specific details, they’re still waiting for the results from the doctor.  XK asks what happened and Tony tells him that this concert meant a lot to Miya and she prepared for it a lot.  Originally, there wasn’t a need for her to use the wires during this dress rehearsal but Miya didn’t want anything to go wrong.  In the end, they never imagined that one of the staff workers would make a mistake while operating the wire.  Tony adds that it all happened too quickly and Miya doesn’t have any relatives, so he could only call XK over.  He turns to QY and says he hopes she can understand, and QY nods her head without question.  Tony then turns back to XK and suggests that in a little bit, they head over to meet with the doctor and see if they can’t find out more information. 

When they meet with the doctor, he tells them that things aren’t looking very good.  He then points them to the X-ray and shows them how the blood clot is already pressing against Miya’s visual nerve and says there’s a possibility she might go blind.  XK reacts, “What?  Blind?” and Tony asks, “How can it be like this?”  He asks if it’ll be temporary and the doctor answers matter-of-factly that if she really does go blind, it’ll be difficult to say whether she can recover.  He then observes that she has an old injury on her head so what he’s worried about most right now is the combined effect two head injuries will have on her nerves and tells them they should prepare themselves for the possibility that she might go permanently blind.  The look on XK’s face is difficult to describe but I’m sure we can imagine what he must be feeling right now.

XK sits in the hallway chair while QY stands across from him, watching him.  After a while, she steps forward to kneel before him and takes his hand in comfort as she observes that Miya’s injury was an accident.  She asks him not to be like he is right now and suggests they think of a solution together, telling him that Miya definitely will get better.  [If only he’d listened to her!]  She then tells him that the fault really can’t be blamed on him but XK shakes his head and disagrees, saying that he’s to blame for everything.  [ARGH, XK.  I LOVE YOU.  But, sometimes, not your martyr complex.  Sigh.]  He explains that back then, if it hadn’t been for him, she wouldn’t have fallen and gotten her old injury.  In a flashback, XK holds a box in his hand and asks, “So you became a stuntswoman just so you could gift me a computer?”  Miya pulls him down next to her at the table and tells him that if he wants to be a professional player, then of course he needs a professional computer.  Unwrapping the bow from box, she tells him that with this computer, he’ll now be able to practice properly and in the future become a famous professional player and go to the world championships to win the title.  XK thanks for the gift but asks her to promise him that in the future, she won’t do such a dangerous thing again.  With a mischievous dab of cake frosting to XK’s nose, Miya says, “Okay.”

Back in the present, XK sits aone by Miya’s bedside and watches her sleep.  Tony and the assistant walk past the hospital room door and then the camera returns to the hallway and we see that QY is also still there waiting outside.  Tony tells her that it’s late and suggests that she and XK go back to get some rest.  Tony tells her that he’ll go and get XK, but when he enters the room with the personal assistant (and QY stands up to watch from the doorway) and suggests to XK that he head back to get some rest, telling him that he’ll call when Miya wakes up, XK tells him that he’s fine and says, “I want to keep her company.”  In the hallway, QY sits back down. 

On one fine, glorious morning at VNG, Qi Yue walks hesistantly into Li Gan’s office and asks his master if he was looking for him.  Li Gan’s not there by himself though.  Also in the room are Lucy, from the iConquer organizing committee, and two black-suited men.  [See why I described it a fine, glorious morning?  Haha.]  Li Gan greets Qi Yue by telling him that these are staff members from the organizing committee and they’d like to talk to him about the matter concerning leaked strategy.  Qi Yue asks what there is to talk about and asks if it wasn’t done by QY.  Still trying to play the role of the innocent and indignant iConquer player, he says he’s actually been wanting to ask them how people like that could enter the semi-finals.  Li Gan holds up his hand for him to stop and Lucy pipes up that this time, the person they’re investigating isn’t QY, but him. [OMG, this is like music to my ears!!]  She then ever so politely asks Qi Yue to accompany them before the organizing committee.  Qi Yue, resistant to the very end, asks how they they could be investigating him and suggests they instead go ask JXK.  He then tells LI Gan that there’s a lot of training he still needs to do and asks if he can leave first, but Li Gan tells him that it’s just an investigation.  He reminds Qi Yue that he’s always placed a lot of high hope on him and that the future is still a long road ahead of him; he, therefore, instructs QY to conduct himself well.  Turning to Lucy, Li Gan says that if this matter really does have anything to do with Qi Yue, he’ll support them however they decide to handle it.

Over at GDV, QIao Xin and A Can finish filming a program.  When the cameramen leave the room, she turns to A Can and asks him to look at materials she prepared.  Without looking at her, which is very different from how he normally interacts with her, he tells her to leave it.  She says okay and then offers to help organize the papers he’s been handling, but he grabs everything before she can get her hands on them.  Qiao Xin then tells A Can that she heard Luo Tian still hasn’t finalized the list of people going to the world championships… her sentence trails off in an obvious hint as to what she’s really asking, but this time instead of saying he’ll help her (which is how he probably would’ve responded in the past), he tells her that she knows how Luo Tian is; if there isn’t anyone he likes, he’d rather leave the spot empty than send some random person just to fill the spot.  Not one to give up, QIao Xin points out that they’ve been working together for a long time now and asks if he can go ask Luo Tian on her behalf.  A Can, however, stands up and (still not looking at her) tells her that he has something else to do, so he can’t chat with her any longer.  As he starts to walk away from her, she calls after him and runs to block his past, asking him to wait.  She confronts him by asking if she did anything wrong and asks why he’s behaving like this towards her.  Right then, Luo Tian arrives with Lucy and one of her suited men.  A Can uses the opportunity to run away quickly and Luo Tian introduces Qiao Xin to Lucy, explaining that they’ve come to meet with her.  Lucy tells her that they’d like to speak with her regarding the matter of the leaked strategy so that they can have a better understanding of the situation.  Qiao Xin responds by asking if they didn’t already check with her before and Lucy tells her that they seized some evidence which proves that she was involved in this matter.  Qiao Xin still tries to play innocent asking what this has to do with her and tells Luo Tian that they must have misunderstood her.  Lucy, however, just rolls her eyes ever so subtly and asks QIao Xin to cooperate with her.  Luo Tian also stares at her sternly.  [I don’t know why she ever thought she’d be able to get help from that quarter.  When has he ever been on her side?  He’s not A Can.  Although, even A Can knows on what side his bread is buttered!]

At the hospital, Miya is sitting up in bed staring into space when XK arrives with a large bouquet of flowers.  She calls out asking who’s there and he announces himself.  She’s surprised that it’s him and he takes a seat next to her on the bed, telling her that he bought her a bouquet of lilies, and asks they smell fragrant.  Miya takes a whiff and then smiles saying that they do smell nice.  After he sets the bouquet aside, she asks after the time.  XK looks at his watch and then tells her it’s 4:30pm.  When she hears the time, she asks how it can only be 4:30 and asks him why the time is passing so slowly.  XK tells her not to worry as he’ll keep her company, and Miya says “okay” with a smile.  She then tells him that it looks like her eyes really won’t be able to see anything this time and that in the future, she won’t be able to go on stage again.  [Okay, I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic right now, as for all her faults I don’t not like Miya, but I feel it necessary to point out.  Blind people can still sing!]  XK, however, tells her that her eyes will get better and Miya confesses that she’s scared.  She tells him that her entire surroundings are dark and it’s a vast and boundless kind of darkness.  She also tells him that she’s tired and doesn’t know what she should do.  XK suggests she take a nap, telling her that she needs a lot of rest right now, but Miya tells him that she can’t fall asleep.  Placing his hand on her arm, he tells her again to listen to him and take a nap.  He also tells her that he’ll keep her company.  Miya responds, “Then you can’t leave,” and he tells her not to worry and promises not to leave.  When she says “okay,” XK stands up and helps her get settled back in bed.  He then sits back down and watches her fall asleep [in what has to be a very awkward sleeping position – doesn’t it look like she’s kind of holding herself up?  Probably for a prettier camera angle.  LOL.] 

End

Head Pat Count (episode): 1

Head Pat Count (total): 11

Fist Bump Count (episode): 0

Fist Bump Count (total): 7

P.S. Another thing I would say about this episode is that I love how we get to see how the iConquer game even manages to bring QY's family together as one.  That's pretty amazing when you consider how many years it's been since her father married Xia Ling's mother and all that's happened betweent them.  :P 

• LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

@raziela, I plan on responding to your lovely post in greater detail later, but as a quick reply for now, re: Lu Sheng and Tong Wu, did you see the epilogue videos? You get your answer there as to what happens to them. It’s a short video, but it’s something. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Thanks so much for the latest recap! You are almost at the end! :) 

14 hours ago, themarchioness said:

@raziela, I plan on responding to your lovely post in greater detail later, but as a quick reply for now, re: Lu Sheng and Tong Wu, did you see the epilogue videos? You get your answer there as to what happens to them. It’s a short video, but it’s something. 

I look forward to your response :D

I have seen some of you mention these epilogues but I don't know where to watch them.:( I would love to see them as I wanted to see some of the character arcs wrapped up better.

I thought Lu Sheng and Tong Wu were very pitiful characters. They reminded of children in an abusive home who have developed coping mechanisms to deal with physical and emotional abuse (Tong Wu - stutter, passive; LS - acts like he doesn't care) . They finally found a protector in a new friend/teacher/parent figure allowing them to blossom and tap into their potential again and he is ripped out of their life. One positive thing is that Lu Sheng regained his spark thanks to XK and could support Tong Wu.

You made a comment in one of your recaps that VNG always seemed to be having a crisis or at a critical moment due to Li Fan's poor leadership and I totally agree. Li Gan's very poor leadership and lack of disciplining his disciple really harmed everyone associated with the team.

It was totally unacceptable how little respect Li Gan and that brat showed for QUEEN Shu Wen's abilities and judgement and, of course, we saw the bullying behaviour of Qi Yue and his sidekick towards pretty much everybody. As much as I hated Qi Yue I almost felt Li Gan was worse because QY wouldn't have got that bad or got away with the things he did if LG had not continued enabling his bad attitude for so long.  QY's bad behaviour was not new.  It had clearly been going on for a long time.

In the end, despite his promise even a genius like XK couldn't fix the team because the issues were too endemic from the top-down.  VNG was just a toxic place. I was happy XK and SW left and I only wish they could have taken Tong Wu and Lu Sheng with them.

I noticed even Pei Xi seemed scarred from his time at VNG. Compare how he blossomed in a warm supportive company, first, with Team Legends (after the trash manager left) and then with (world champions) Team Phoenix. 

Speaking of Pei Xi: Our fake-second-lead-love-interest was such a great character. Such an unusual character with a beautiful soul! I loved how the drama didn't just make him odd for the sake of being odd but actually addressed his unique behaviour and how PX felt and perceived himself compared to others AND how his unique character helped him to understand and bond with Xia Ling.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, themarchioness said:

@raziela, you can watch the epilogues here: https://m.weibo.cn/status/4391149609331178?

I don't think they've been subbed.  I'll recap them eventually once I'm done with the actual drama episodes, but I already recapped the last one (with XK, QY, and his motorbike). 

Thank you so much!:w00t: I didn't understand everything much but I managed to get the general gist of most of the scenes.

Possible spoilers ahead.....

- Loved the scene where XK got his motorcycle back.  Thank you for translating it earlier.  It was so much funnier as I understood why they were reacting the way they did :lol:

- I thought the scene on top of the building they used at the end of episode 35 was kind of abrupt and the way they filmed it looked awkward.  I wish they had made the final shot of the epilogue the final shot of the drama. I think that beautiful shot from the epilogue of Xiangkong and Qiu Ying leaning against the motorbike, surrounded by fireworks looking like they are in their own little world (and maybe even about to kiss :kiss_wink: ) is gorgeous and much more aesthetic pleasing and romantic - even if it's probably breaking all kinds of fire safety codes having that many fireworks inside :lol:

- YESSS for QUEEN Shu Wen and Sun Ge - i just love this couple :heart::heart::heart:

- So happy for Tong Wu and Lu Sheng. Joining a wonderful team like Legends.  It's just great seeing them let loose and having fun compared to how guarded and on edge they always were at VNG.  Hope lots of success for the new Team Legends!

- Loved seeing the two families: Xia Ling and his parents and I think the girl he liked on the phone. Of course I always love the scenes between the cousins, Summer and Pei Xi. Was Summer the one trying to sweet talk his cousin this time rather than the other way around? Ha ha!:lol:

I do wish they had incorporated these scenes into episode 35.  Maybe not the dance party at the end which seemed to be more the actors than the characters otherwise I don't think Qi Yue and Shen Yue would have been invited :P  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

19 minutes ago, raziela said:

- Loved seeing the two families: Xia Ling and his parents and I think the girl he liked on the phone. Of course I always love the scenes between the cousins, Summer and Pei Xi. Was Summer the one trying to sweet talk his cousin this time rather than the other way around? Ha ha!:lol:

Yup, sounds like you were able to get the gist of most everything!  Since it'll probably still be a little while before I get to recapping these (2.5 more drama episodes to go!) I thought I'd go ahead and clarify for you -- yes, that was the girl Xia Ling likes on his phone.  And Summer was trying to get PX to watch Dream Journey for him because he wants to go traveling with the hopes that he'll meet a girl along the way, haha.  (NGL, since MIya also mentions in her epilogue that she wants to travel while creating music at the same time, the thought did occur to me, "What if their paths cross during their travels...."  ;))

• Like 3

@skibbies, working on Episode 33 right now and just reached the part where Luo Tian invites QY back to being a commentator.  Now that i'm drilling down the actual text I can see how this answers the question we previously had about how the commentating worked at the world championships.  Specifically, he asked her to be a commentator for the "Chinese side" at the world championships, which would suggest that (consistent with how things are in real life) they had multiple commentators for the event in order to communicate with the broad and varied audience.  It's easy enough to think from the way it was portrayed that they were the only ones working to narrate the goings on of the world championship finals, but now we know for certain that wasn't the case.  I'm going to assume then that the drama just used artistic license to show only them on center stage because it simplified matters. ;) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Yup, sounds like you were able to get the gist of most everything!  Since it'll probably still be a little while before I get to recapping these (2.5 more drama episodes to go!) I thought I'd go ahead and clarify for you -- yes, that was the girl Xia Ling likes on his phone.  And Summer was trying to get PX to watch Dream Journey for him because he wants to go traveling with the hopes that he'll meet a girl along the way, haha.  (NGL, since MIya also mentions in her epilogue that she wants to travel while creating music at the same time, the thought did occur to me, "What if their paths cross during their travels...."  ;))

Thank you!

Summer + Miya would be...um...interesting :lol:  I loved Summer but I think Miya would be too dramatic for him and can you imagine the reaction from the fans!  Incidentally, I really liked how Manager Tony was actually a decent guy who cared about Miya.  He was very strict with her but that was his job and he needs to be in the cutthroat idol industry. 

3 hours ago, themarchioness said:

@skibbies, working on Episode 33 right now and just reached the part where Luo Tian invites QY back to being a commentator.  Now that i'm drilling down the actual text I can see how this answers the question we previously had about how the commentating worked at the world championships.  Specifically, he asked her to be a commentator for the "Chinese side" at the world championships, which would suggest that (consistent with how things are in real life) they had multiple commentators for the event in order to communicate with the broad and varied audience.  It's easy enough to think from the way it was portrayed that they were the only ones working to narrate the goings on of the world championship finals, but now we know for certain that wasn't the case.  I'm going to assume then that the drama just used artistic license to show only them on center stage because it simplified matters. ;) 

Yes, the commentators seemed so biased towards the Chinese side but I guess they were commentating for a Chinese channel and that type of jingoistic attitude seems to be standard for anything where China is competing against the rest of the world. I think it's probably a requirement by the Chinese censorship board too.

You know when I started watching this drama i thought all the competition and championship scenes were wayyyy over the top for dramatic effect. Then I watched a bit of some competitions on YouTube and I found out they really are over the top! They do have the multiple enthusiastic commentators like it's a boxing match and the dramatic videos introducing the players before the game and loud, super passionate audience.

I was a bit like Qiu Ying and Xia Ling's parents :lol: before when it came to e-sports but this drama definitely changed some of my preconceived opinions about e-sports.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1