[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Gank Your Heart 陪你到世界之巅

Lynne

@skibbies So happy to see your comment on Gank Your Heart!

This one is a hidden gem for me.. lols..  this drama had limited exposure because its not aired on the big 3 (Youku, Tencent or IQIYI) but with the english subs getting completed now.. I'm happy more and more people are giving this drama a chance.. :wub:

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

My favourite thing of the drama is they support each other and grow together, ideal relationship!

I agree... and overall, I love all the supporting character in this drama too.. they're unique in their own way... :D

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it has overtaken Love O2O as my favourite contemporary romance? Not that I've watched many, to be fair. Love O2O was refreshing in that there were no misunderstanding or love triangles, oh and the characters actually studied for their grades, but the lead otp was little too perfect. This one have more flaws, misunderstanding, some cliche, and lead otp keep suffering, but supportive relationship is rare and awesome. :blush: I hope Untamed gather more fans for Wang Yibo and draw them to this drama, now that the subs are done.

@lynne22, like you, watching the Phenix team come together is truly one of my favorite parts of this drama.  :wub:  And definitely, I also agree that it's the start of QY mending her relationship with her family too.  A large part of that for her was realizing that her father never stopped loving her or her mother, and accepting that her father could be in a new relationship without forsaking his old ones as well.  It's such a meaningful moment when she refers to her father as "Ba" for the first time in so many years.  I also love how her father holds it in and doesn't make a big fuss out of it even though we can see how much it means to him as well.  He really is a wonderful father to both QY and Xia Ling, and I'm glad QY and her stepmother came around to each other eventually as well.

@skibbies, it was so great to see someone else chiming in on this thread!  I loved your post and found myself nodding my head along with it many times.  I think we're pretty much in agreement about everything, LOL.  The initial misunderstandings in the drama are completely understandable to me for the very reasons you stated - both of them had their own pressures and their own agendas and they weren't able to see beyond what was going on in their own lives to think that maybe the other person had valid reasons for what they were doing.  But I really appreciate that when they did finally step back to see what was going in the other person's life, both were quick to realize their mistakes and make up.  I think if they had dragged that process out, that really would have  made things draggy.  Fortunately, all it really took was one BBQ dinner for them to call things even. :P 

I also like how XK and QY supported each other and were always there for each other.  I've read complaints that they weren't a more romantic couple, and I wonder if people watched the same drama I did.  They were totes romantic!  They were romantic when they weren't even a "couple," and they were romantic after they became a couple.  I concede they may not be the pinku pinku diabetic-inducing type of romantic couple, but I actually find this type of romance to be more in line with my real life preference and thus the more realistic relationship.  They may not have been sitting in each other's pockets the entire time, but they were always there for each other.  Plus, the drama dropped plenty of hints for us to know that they interacted behind the scenes a lot; the drama just didn't show us their every single interaction or conversation - which is perfectly acceptable/understandable, IMO.

As for your Miya-in-the-spoilers-comment, I'll put my reply in a spoiler cut as well.  :)

Spoiler

I think the drama brought Miya back the second time around for more than just additional angst between the OTP.  i think that was the drama's vehicle for getting QY to return to being a sports commentator.  Had it not been for that, I think she would have chosen to remain with the team even after her name had been finally cleared from the scandal.  It's my understanding that in the book, that's actually what QY does - she remains with the Phenix team.  I don't see that as settling, but rather a shift in her dreams, so I'm fine with that outcome in the book and would've been fine with it had the drama chosen to go that way as well.  But, having said that, I am glad the drama had QY returning to the commentator's stage simply because her journey to that place was such an emphasized part of the drama's story.  The only thing I really didn't like in the second Miya arc was XK's lack of communication prior to QY's departure.  It's not like QY didn't understand, so all he had to do was give her a word of assurance or even discuss with her his burdens.  But I suppose personalities can't be changed overnight and we've always known that XK is the type to keep his struggles within because he doesn't want to make things difficult for others.  QY's the same, frankly, which is why she chose to leave.  It's like Sun Ge later says to XK, their problem was that they were too thoughtful towards each other.  :P 

Speaking of that conversation with Sun Ge, I know there are some people who bristled over the fact that QY and XK's reunion at the end of the drama was so swift and short, but I was fine with it.  To the extent people have pointed out that we don't even get to see XK and QY talk things out, I would argue that we already got to see how that conversation would play out by virtue of the fact that we got to see XK's conversation with Sun Ge.  I mean, he'd already told Sun Ge that he wasn't giving up on QY - that it had never really been a choice for him - and that the only reason he didn't run after her to drag her back was because he didn't want to stand in the way of her return to her original dream of being a sports commentator.  Don't we think he'd say the same thing to QY after all the celebrations are over?  ;)  I actually like the writing in this drama and how it employs methods like this to show the viewers things without necessarily having to actually show it to us, if that makes sense.  

The only thing I thought the drama could've done without was Luo Tian forming an interest in QY.  I know it was a set-up to show us jealous JXK in the end, and I do appreciate a jealous JXK.  Just as I also appreciate that the drama wanted him to know, he couldn't just be lax around QY.  But at the same time, I think the drama could've successfully done that without Luo Tian necessarily being interested romantically in QY.  After all, he could have also simply intervened as mentor/senior to them both.  I don't know,  I just see the Pioneer team as older brothers/sister to the younger group and so having Luo Tian cross that line was kind of blech for me.  

On 8/16/2019 at 8:22 PM, skibbies said:

She definitely didn't feel like she was dating Li Gan at all during the drama, was he just endlessly pining? But who proposes out of blue in public if you aren't dating? 

Shu Wen and Li Gan never dated.  He would've liked to, but she was never saw him as anything more than a friend.  So yes, he just pined for her.  Relentlessly.  And hoped that by doing everything for her she would one day come around to him.  I think Li Gan would've continued in that vein except that Sun Ge finally made a reappearance in Shu Wen's life.  When that happened, he got antsy and that's what led to that stupid proposal.  I love how even Summer was like, "What were you thinking?"  But as we also got to see, Shu Wen and Li Gan's problems were more than personal, even in their professional lives they couldn't see eye to eye.  As much as Li Gan would like it to be otherwise, they simply aren't suited for each other.  I hope he one day finds that person who is suited for him and that his world will become broader for it, because I think his unrequited love for Shu Wen just put him in a tunnel and that contributed towards his downfall.  

Anyway, I've been away this past week but i'm finally back and hopefully will have more recaps to share in the near future.  I realize with the drama fully subbed, it's not necessary anymore, but I'm so close to the end I'd like to finish it for myself.  And because there are a parts that I'd translate differently than the subs...

@themarchioness I've actually seen complaints on cnet that Qiu Ying wasn't as natural and the chemistry between otp was non-existent. idk if I have low standards but I thought Qiu Ying was fine, she could have been better, and I think her initial characterisation could be less..."oh no", just like I think they could have shown XK strategising and his slow reaction more, but I quite liked their interactions in the drama personally.

For Li Gan, oh that make so much sense. Shu Wen had always felt super professional when dealing with him, and the only hint about potential relationship was the way Qi Yue acted, but Li Gan is his mentor so he's bias.

Spoiler

Mhm, I only just started the book, but that does make sense. I do prefer the drama version where she gets to return to be commentator, I just like that female lead in idol dramas finally gets her own career and isn't just a cheerleader, yknow. I was bit worried about that since Qiao Xin (?) mentioned that she could be taken off commentator role if her relationship with Qi Yue is public, I mean it could be an excuse, but it sounded fairly reasonable. It never came up again in the drama since otp weren't really talking when that happened.

THAT said, I still wish instead of Miya returning, it was XK pushing QY to pursue her dream, rather than using a third party side plot that I thought had already resolved, and over a (later) fake injury too. Agreed on XK's lack of communication and essentially neglect towards QY, hell, he didn't even have time for train before a very important competition. It's why I sort of heavily dislike the arc, because the trope is overused AND Miya is now thoroughly self centered and narrow sighted, while XK at worst can be considered fairly irresponsible towards other people that's not Miya.

Luo Tian I also wish had stayed as a mentor, he wasn't a serious threat, but if it was for jealous XK, I would have taken a misunderstanding rather than actual feelings. It would have been fantastic to have two fake second male lead, but I guess since XK gets a love interest, it's fair QY gets one.

17 hours ago, skibbies said:

@themarchioness I've actually seen complaints on cnet that Qiu Ying wasn't as natural and the chemistry between otp was non-existent. idk if I have low standards but I thought Qiu Ying was fine, she could have been better, and I think her initial characterisation could be less..."oh no", just like I think they could have shown XK strategising and his slow reaction more, but I quite liked their interactions in the drama personally. 

If you have low standards, so do I and we can be low together.  :P  I can't say I had any problems with the actress who played QY.  There were maybe one or two moments where I wanted more from WYB (XK) but I haven't bothered to say anything about it because I cut him some slack as a relative newbie to acting.  I don't know, unless someone's just really (as in obviously) bad, I never have that much to say about acting abilities.  As for criticisms regarding the OTP's chemistry, I definitely can't agree with that.  They were so cute!!!  Maybe they should go back and look at all the gifs @lynne22 has shared in this thread???  

Spoiler

I do appreciate that QY had her own career in this drama as well.  You raise an interesting concern though, and one I have turned over in my head time and again since completing this drama.  I also thought Qiao Xin's comment made a lot of sense about not wanting her relationship with Qi Yue to be known out of fear of its potential impact on her career.  But I guess she just wouldn't be able to be the commentator for those matches he was in (to avoid any accusations of bias)?  So maybe that would be the same for QY, in that she just wouldn't be able to report whenever the Phenix team was playing.  Having said that, I think the drama was just being a drama and glossed over details at time.  :P I mean, Luo Tian was hardly unbiased during the world championship games; none of them were.  They were all madly cheering on the Phenix team, but perhaps that was okay because it was a Chinese team and they were commentating in front of a primarily Chinese audience given the location of the games?  

As for Luo Tian, I also agree he wasn't a serious threat - in fact, I hardly consider him a threat at all, LOL.  But that's another reason why I wish they didn't go there. If he wasn't actually going to be a threat?  Why bother, you know?  Sigh.  Ah well.  We can't have everything, I suppose, and even the most perfect of dramas must have a flaw somewhere.

@themarchioness oh same! I only notice when actors take me out of a scene or they are good enough to make me resonate with them (but that can be helped by plot + music and whatnot). They were definitely way adorable, I wanted fanfics of  them XD

Spoiler

Yeah I'm okay that the drama glossed over that detail. I suppose bias could be bad and the committee could request them not to commentate on respective team. But then again, they are commentators, not referees, and it's totally natural for sport commentator to cheer for their favourite team/country's team, isn't it?

Oh, I think they could have explain the last match's strategy smidge better? I know it was tense moment, so there wasn't much room to really explain. But inital impression was XK just thought of QY and her love for firecrackers, and then decided to buy them?? That's obviously not it, he was just reminded of a rarely used item and formed a risky plan, where they blow themselves up at specific moment/after specific damage to get multiple kills. 

Tangentially related, I watched the drama with my brother who follow the LoL pro leagues somewhat. He mentioned that ages ago when the championship was still pretty new, there's been cases where the audience would SHOUT location of players or where they are heading to their supporting team, which is wiiiiiild. So these days they stream it on a delay and they sit in those glass boxes to avoid noisy environment (but you can still hear shouting obv)

@skibbies, if I wasn't (still) recapping this drama, I probably would've written at least one short fanfic by now.  There is one idea that keeps coming back to me... ;) 

Spoiler

Sports commentators may not be referees, but they are imparting information to the public.  They're like news reporters.  Obviously even news outlets can have biased slants so it may be inevitable for their favorite teams/players to be known, but I would think they'd still want to be able to be seen as objective.  Not sure if you ever watch sporting events on TV in real life, but it's basically the same thing.  Also, as we saw in the drama, one thing QY was able to do once she became a commentator was decipher XK's actions for the public and help them better understand his strategies and tactics.  But, later, once  rumors of their relationship was exposed the Dragons team was able to use that as a mocking point to say that she was just saying nice things about XK because there was something going on between them.  In reality though, I don't think QY was commenting on anything that wasn't true - she wasn't going out of her way to build up XK or anything like that, she was just explaining his actions - but given that they were able to use even that much to twist things around, I would imagine they wouldn't want to their actual biases/preferences to show through to give people something to have a legitimate complaint about.  If that makes sense...  

[And yes, I do think it's natural for sports commentators to have a preference for their own nation's team.  We see that during the Olympics.  It's just a little different in that usually when one watches the Olympics, they're doing so through their own nation's broadcasting station.  So the sports commentators are speaking directly to the audience of that particular nation.  But Luo Tian, QY, and Gu Fang were reporting on stage for everybody regardless of where they were watching in from, so that's why that oddity stuck out at me.  :P]

As for the last match's strategy, it's basically what you said, I'd just take the "obviously not it" part out of your statement because I think that is exactly what happened.  Heh.  But yes, the Phenix team had basically run up against a wall where they'd been playing without any specific strategy to begin with and now were backed into a corner with no way out.  As XK sat there struggling to think of a way out, he was suddenly reminded of that time when QY had played with the firecrackers.  Back then he had questioned what she was doing because it was such a useless, wasteful move, but she didn't care because she wasn't using it for any strategic purpose.  At the world championships, however, he realized it could be his team's way out.  From the running commentary, I gathered it was not a commonly seen maneuver in competitions (if it was seen at all) and I'm guessing a big reason for that is because it's an expensive choice of weapon given that each of them had to sell all their items before being able to purchase it.  It's also not the most cunning of tactics, as even Gu Fang remarked that it was a low blow move, but all's fair in love and war and in that critical moment, they basically used the fireworks for a suicide mission to kill the opposing team.  That's why even Xia Ling even took the time to confirm with the others whether this was something they were really going to do this after XK started calling out commands.  And fortunately it worked!  Remembering that scene makes me want to go rewatch it now, haha.

22 hours ago, skibbies said:

Tangentially related, I watched the drama with my brother who follow the LoL pro leagues somewhat. He mentioned that ages ago when the championship was still pretty new, there's been cases where the audience would SHOUT location of players or where they are heading to their supporting team, which is wiiiiiild. So these days they stream it on a delay and they sit in those glass boxes to avoid noisy environment (but you can still hear shouting obv)

That makes a lot of sense actually, thanks for that information!  I also find it kind of hilarious -- it reminds me of that montage that we got of the Pioneer team helping out by practicing with the Phenix team.  QY was running back and forth peeking over at the Pioneer team's laptops before running back over to the Phenix team with her information.  It took me several rewatches before I even noticed how Luo Tian pushed her aside at one point; you'll miss it if you blink!  But, so cute.  :P 

On 8/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, noona007 said:

Do you happen to know if there's a second season? Or the book ended the same way in the drama? Just wondering... Cuz really love the way it was written and these characters to be the next season. 

Haven't finished the book but I'd think it ends similarly there, since it seems pretty definitive end. I think second season will be unlikely since they didn't promote it much and it's on a smaller platform + web drama. Sequels usually fare badly with audience and they are usually written worse too so uh.

2 hours ago, themarchioness said:

@skibbies, if I wasn't (still) recapping this drama, I probably would've written at least one short fanfic by now.  There is one idea that keeps coming back to me... ;) 

Hide contents

Sports commentators may not be referees, but they are imparting information to the public.  They're like news reporters.  Obviously even news outlets can have biased slants so it may be inevitable for their favorite teams/players to be known, but I would think they'd still want to be able to be seen as objective.  Not sure if you ever watch sporting events on TV in real life, but it's basically the same thing.  Also, as we saw in the drama, one thing QY was able to do once she became a commentator was decipher XK's actions for the public and help them better understand his strategies and tactics.  But, later, once  rumors of their relationship was exposed the Dragons team was able to use that as a mocking point to say that she was just saying nice things about XK because there was something going on between them.  In reality though, I don't think QY was commenting on anything that wasn't true - she wasn't going out of her way to build up XK or anything like that, she was just explaining his actions - but given that they were able to use even that much to twist things around, I would imagine they wouldn't want to their actual biases/preferences to show through to give people something to have a legitimate complaint about.  If that makes sense...  

[And yes, I do think it's natural for sports commentators to have a preference for their own nation's team.  We see that during the Olympics.  It's just a little different in that usually when one watches the Olympics, they're doing so through their own nation's broadcasting station.  So the sports commentators are speaking directly to the audience of that particular nation.  But Luo Tian, QY, and Gu Fang were reporting on stage for everybody regardless of where they were watching in from, so that's why that oddity stuck out at me.  :P]

As for the last match's strategy, it's basically what you said, I'd just take the "obviously not it" part out of your statement because I think that is exactly what happened.  Heh.  But yes, the Phenix team had basically run up against a wall where they'd been playing without any specific strategy to begin with and now were backed into a corner with no way out.  As XK sat there struggling to think of a way out, he was suddenly reminded of that time when QY had played with the firecrackers.  Back then he had questioned what she was doing because it was such a useless, wasteful move, but she didn't care because she wasn't using it for any strategic purpose.  At the world championships, however, he realized it could be his team's way out.  From the running commentary, I gathered it was not a commonly seen maneuver in competitions (if it was seen at all) and I'm guessing a big reason for that is because it's an expensive choice of weapon given that each of them had to sell all their items before being able to purchase it.  It's also not the most cunning of tactics, as even Gu Fang remarked that it was a low blow move, but all's fair in love and war and in that critical moment, they basically used the fireworks for a suicide mission to kill the opposing team.  That's why even Xia Ling even took the time to confirm with the others whether this was something they were really going to do this after XK started calling out commands.  And fortunately it worked!  Remembering that scene makes me want to go rewatch it now, haha.

That makes a lot of sense actually, thanks for that information!  I also find it kind of hilarious -- it reminds me of that montage that we got of the Pioneer team helping out by practicing with the Phenix team.  QY was running back and forth peeking over at the Pioneer team's laptops before running back over to the Phenix team with her information.  It took me several rewatches before I even noticed how Luo Tian pushed her aside at one point; you'll miss it if you blink!  But, so cute.  :P 

Maybe after you finish recapping? :P

Spoiler

Yeah, considering how much bs public always throw on our two leads, it probably would be bad news for them. You just reminded me, I get that they are commentating for mostly Chinese audience, but what if you are say supporter of Inception or something and not Chinese? There was an English speaking host, who was awesome by the way, and I understand why the drama doesn't have an English commentator, but maybe whatever stream these could have their own commentators? World Cup have their own commentators I think, I don't really watch sports!

Okay I've asked my brother, for example last year's S8 was held in Korea. They have Korean commentators and also Chinese (and presumbly English) commentators in different boxes. So he would have been watching the Chinese commentators, but there's also other people streaming these events who could also be commentating (ex-players or whatnot).

Ah, when I say that's not it, I mean he didn't just buy it because "my girlfriend love this so to hell with it"/"love conquers all!" She helped in that she reminded him of something, and he formed a risky strategy and it worked. I've seen cnetizens point out similar item exists in DoTA, the drama just simplified the way it worked, and I believe strategy to suicide kill have happened before, which is really neat! 

Oh yeah I really liked that scene, definitely hilarious. I wish there were more Phenix bits ahhhh!! I've done similar thing when I was a wee child and watching my family play mahjong, except in my case, I announced everything she had to other people XD

Regarding the novel, IIRC, the lead of the author's next book is Pei Xi.... lols..

I like him in the book, and I love him even more in the drama.. Personally I don't have hope for a second season nor do I think it is necessary. This arc for the lead already feels complete in the drama. But, Of course I wouldn't have minded if there's more epilogue of the OTP and Team Phenix because they are really fun to watch!  :wub:

Each and every member of the team [Including Qiu Ying, and the old member of Pioneer] finally realized their dreams! :wub: , The second victory! And finally reaching out to the top of the world! 

007cyGSsgy1g4my1ffrvuj31c00u0npf.jpg

007cyGSsly1g4tcdw2hmoj31c00u0b2b.jpg

On 8/21/2019 at 1:21 AM, skibbies said:

Maybe after you finish recapping? :P

....probably.... :sweat_smile:

On 8/21/2019 at 5:06 AM, lynne22 said:

Regarding the novel, IIRC, the lead of the author's next book is Pei Xi.... lols..

I like him in the book, and I love him even more in the drama.. Personally I don't have hope for a second season nor do I think it is necessary. This arc for the lead already feels complete in the drama. But, Of course I wouldn't have minded if there's more epilogue of the OTP and Team Phenix because they are really fun to watch!  :wub:

Oooh, a book about PX!  Do you know if it's completed, planned, or in progress?  I would love to see a continuation of PX's story and hopefully, through that, we'd get to see QY and XK as well.  I agree that QY and XK's story is otherwise complete and more is not needed.  I mean, I know we always say we want more, but really, any good book or drama should always leave its reader/viewer wanting more.  Beyond that, it starts to get boring and ruins what was once a good thing.  :P 

Anyhoo.... sorry, I know there's been a bit of a break since I last posted recap but things are kind of busy right now.  Still, I'm working it in when I can so, here's:

Episode 30

Spoiler

Episode 30

YY and YX meet at a café and he’s being so solicitous towards her, she knows something must be up.  She asks why he invited her there and he reaches for the big black bag next to him and says he’s got a big problem.  YY asks what he has in his bag that can’t be seen by others and he looks around first to make sure no one’s watching before opening it up to show her his trophy.  YY sits back at that, clearly unimpressed, and says she thought it was going to be some family heirloom.  She asks if he invited her there just to show off his trophy, and YX tells her no.  He says she knows a lot of people and asks her to help him ask around to see if anybody would be interested in buying his trophy to collect.  YY sits up in surprise by his question and points out he should be earning a fair amount of money between his salary and bonus, and then asks if he’s gone crazy such that he now wants to sell his trophy.  She then demands that he tell her who he’s been spending his money on.  [Is that a little bit of jealousy I sense in you, YY?]  YY denies her question emphatically and asks who he would be able to spend his money on.  He clarifies that his older brother got married in the earlier half of the year and so he gave all his money to him so he could buy a house.  He laments then that apart from his trophy, the only thing that he has of value is himself, but says it’s not like he can sell himself.  He then suggests that YY purchase him and offers a 20% discount, LOL.  YY tells him to go away with a wave of her hand and then asks why he needs money.  She says, “Don’t tell me you owe someone money,” and he insists emphatically that he doesn’t owe anyone money.  He motions for her to lean forward and then explains that he’s trying to gather money for his contract breaking fee.  YY turns her head to look at him in surprise, and he continues that he wants to leave his current team so he can join the Phenix team.  YY points her chin towards his bag and asks how he’s going to raise the money in this lifetime if he’s going to rely on selling his trophies, and he tells her that he’s not without some “lao po ben” [money saved for the specific purpose of marrying a woman].  YY then crosses her arms and says she doesn’t understand; she asks what’s so great about JXK that instead of marrying a “lao po” [wife], he would rather seek shelter with him, and repeats again that she just doesn’t understand.  YX then tells her that’s not it, he does still want to get married, but it’s just right now… [oh, YY, don’t think we didn’t see that big ol’ smile of yours when you heard him say he still wants to get married one day]  After he trails off, he tells YY that he’s begging her for her help and pleads with her to help him.  After he pushes the coffe closer to her, he says he’s treating her to coffee and YY just looks at him like her resolve is crumbling. 

XK is washing his motorcycle when QY walks through the door to the outside patio and calls his name.  He comments that she’s returned home and when he notices how down she looks, he guesses how her visit with Xia Ling went.  He stands and tells her not to feel too stressed about Xia Ling, and QY tells him she just never imagined it would be this serious.  XK tells her it’s as if he’s walking through a swamp right now; the more he struggles, the deeper he’ll get bogged down.  He tells her to give him more time and to take things slow, and QY nods her head agreeing to do as he suggests.  Trying to lift her spirits, XK tells her that’s enough and to smile.  He runs his rag across the motorcycle and tells her that “Big Baby” [“bao bei” – it means treasured object, but when used in reference to a significant other, it means baby/darling] is leaving soon.  QY asks, “Where is our Big Baby going?” and XK tells her that it’s going to a far away place and that it’s going to meet its new owner.  QY’s eyes grow wide and she steps forward to ask if he’s really selling it.  He stands back up then before confirming it, and splutters in response as she observes that this is favorite motorcycle.  She asks if he can bear to sell it and suggests that he sell the others instead, but XK tells her that he already sold the others.  When QY responds with a surprised expression, XK explains that YY told him YX was trying to sell his trophies to raise money; he doesn’t have a choice.  He looks at his motorcycle and says that in order to help YX, he can only sacrifice them.  Now that QY understands what’s going on, she tries to comfort him by reassuring that when they have they have the money, they’ll buy it back.  XK smiles and then calls her a fool, he tells her that even if he has nothing, so long as he has her, that’ll be enough.  [HEAD PAT}  QY smiles and then he tells her now that he’s pulled together enough mone, he’ll be going to Legends tomorrow.  QY nods her head in understanding and agreement, and he invites her to help him wash his Big Baby one last time. 

Sun Ge is practicing in the training room when PX walks in and offers to play with him.  It’s kind of hilarious how Sun Ge looks up in surprise, like he can’t believe what he just heard, but when he asks if PX is really offering to play with him, PX just nods and asks if this isn’t the responsibility of a training partner.  Sun Ge agrees then and says he’ll start a new game.  As the two of them get set up, Sun Ge tells PX to pick a top solo position and PX agrees without any hesitation saying that he’ll coordinate with him.  Sun Ge says okay and then tells him that the room is already open. The two of them start to play and when XK walks down the stairs with QY, he notices what’s going on and pauses midstep to watch.  He smiles and QY asks, “What going on?  Why are you smiling?” and he answers, “Nothing.  You’ll know later.”  He then laughs again and swings his arm around her shoulders to cradle the back of her head [which I’m totally counting as a HEAD PAT] and says, “Let’s go.” 

The next morning XK goes to meet his former coach at the coffee shop next to the Legends traning base.  Coach Luo begins by commenting that when PX had left saying he wanted to leave to join XK, he hadn’t believed him.  He never imagined that XK would actually manage to form a team in such a short amount of time.  XK responds that all he did was decide to use this opportunity to make a resolution.  His former coach congratulates him, but then complains (in good nature) that XK managed to steal away two of his strongest players.  XK smiles and tells his coach that no matter where they go, they’ll never forget that they were once Legends team members.  His coach then responds that seeing their passion for the sport without having to be restricted by corporate sponsors, and being able to pursue their dreams without restrictions, he’s actually – from the bottom of his heart – happy for them.  XK thanks his coach, but he responds that there are no needs for thanks because as a coach, he can only do this much and reminds XK that the future path is one they’ll have to walk themselves. 

Around this time, we see YX approaching the coffee shop in the background.  When he enters, he’s surprised to find XK there.  He approaches hesitantly and asks XK what he’s doing there, after greeting his coach first as well.  XK drawls, “What do you think?” and tips his head torwards the table where a contract lies.  His coach shoves it over to the space in front of the empty seat and tells him to sign it.  YX looks from his coach to XK and then the contract, and when he just stares at it, his coach asks what he’s waiting for and tells him to sign it.  He asks YX if he hasn’t been wanting to follow his “Kong Ge,” and then looks away.  YX responds that he hasn’t raised enough money and XK, in turn, responds that by the time he raises enough money, the next competitive season will be over already.  He then tells YX that he already prepared the transfer fees so all he has to do is sign.  YX asks where he got such a large sum of money, and XK snarks back that he wasn’t that expensive.  LOL.  He then reveals he sold his motorcycles.  YX stares at him in shock and asks, “You sold all your motorbikes?” and XK answers by asking in a really annoyed voice whether he’s going to sign.  He tells YX that if he’s not going to sign it, he’ll leave now to go get his bikes back.  At that, YX says he’ll sign and then starts flipping through the pages of the contract until he arrives at the last page hwere he signs his name with resolution and determination.  After he signs, Coach Luo takes the contract back to sign it as well and YX tells XK that in the future, he’ll work like a horse and toil like an ox for him, and go through fire and water for him, all without any hesitation.  XK tells him that’s enough and sends him away to go pack up his belongings while he remains to finish the administrative matters with Coach Luo.  Before YX leaves, however, he turns back to his coach to give his farewell.  He tells Coach Luo that he’s not good with words, but he knows that during this time, he’s given him a lot of trouble; yet, he’s never blamed him.  With a lot of emotion, he adds that even though he’s leaving with XK, he’ll always remember the coach’s kindness and then bows deeply before running out of the coffee shop.  After YX leaves, the coach tells XK that he shouldn’t forget, he (XK) carries with him his (the coach’s) passion for esports.  He then says, “The Phenix team, don’t let me down.”  XK tells him not to worry.

YX reports for duty at the Phenix headquarters with his luggage in town.  QY calls out, “A Xuan,” and Sun Ge greets him by calling him a rascal and asking if he sold his trophies.  YX looks around sheepishly as he asks if they all knew about that, and then tells QY that sooner or later he’s going to deal with YY.  [I’m predicting that’ll be a “later” for you, YX, as we both know YY will deal with you first before you ever have a chance of dealing with her.  LOL.]  YX then looks over to PX who’s sitting by himself, staying out of the way, and asks what he’s doing there.  Sun Ge mutters in the background, “Enemies are bound to meet on a narrow road,” and PX agrees.  YX grits his teeth and tosses his suitcase aside as he stalks over to observe that this time, he and PX are different.  He points out he’s an official member of the Phenix team while PX’s just a training partner, and PX responds that even if he is just a training partner, he’s still better than YX.  YX doesn’t take the bait though.  He just refers to PX as a “youngster” and tells him to work hard so that he can one day become an official member of the team and tells him not to be discouraged.  Behind him, XK and QY share an amused glance and then QY tells YX that’s enough.  She points out two rooms behind her and says they’ve all been cleaned out, and suggests he pick one but he asks instead where XK is staying.  QY answers that he’s staying on the second floor and YX says he’ll use the same room as XK.  PX immediately pipes up that that’s his room, and when YX whirls around to look at him, he points out, “First come, first served.”  XK looks down at the ground while QY stifles laughter, and YX turns around to look at the others before circling around PX to tell him that now that he’s here, he (PX) should exercise some judgment and move himself out.  He then reminds PX that his and XK’s relationship is one of life and death brotherhood, and PX stands up to retort back, “And yet, you let him sell his bike.”  YX has nothing to say in response to that and so PX calls on XK to settle this disagreement.  XK and QY exchange another glance while YX tells XK that he wants to room with him, and XK finally answers that PX’s already moved in for several days so he should stop being difficult about it.  QY nods her agreement and YX pouts that that’s fine.  He then vows that from that day forward, he will never take a single step on the second floor and announces that he’ll sleep on the sofa instead.  PX invites him to do so and YX goes immediately to the couch to plop himself down there.  After QY goes over to try and placate him, XK and Sun Ge take a seat at the bar where XK observes that they’re going to have their hands full with the two of them in the future.  Sun Ge agrees with a laugh and then they watch QY feed oranges to YX as he lies prostrate on the couch. 

With the rooming situation finally settled, Sun Ge turns back to XK and updates him on their progress for locating 409.  He says he’s been searching continuously and PX’s asked everyone at Dream Journey too, but no one seems to know who he really is.  XK asks if Sun Ge has anyone other suitable candidates in mind, but he doesn’t.  Later that evening, XK walks out of their training base for a breath of fresh air.  Inside the training base, QY joins PX in their outdoor patio and hands him a drink.  She tells him that sometimes YX has a habit of speaking without really thinking things through and tells him not to take it to heart.  PX says that he doesn’t and points out out that everything YX said is the truth.  He then tells QY that in fact, he’s been playing with Sun Ge a lot lately, and he’s realized that playing the top solo position is actually not that bad.  He then points out that when he was playing for other teams, he never got to experience what it was like to help out his teammates by playing in this different position.  QY asks if he can accept not playing the mid-solo position and not playing the “four protect one” strategy, and PX answers that the reason he wants to join the Phenix team is because he wants to change himself.  He explains that before, he simply thought that XK’s strategies were very strong.  But more recently, when XK was at VNG, he witnessed a miracle.  He observes how Tong Wu and Lu Sheng practically became new people and QY tells him that XK merely dug out their hidden capabilities.  PX agrees and says that’s why he trusts him to lead Phenix, and all of them, to the world championhip’s ceremonial stage. 

On another day, QY visits with Xia Ling.  As she flips through an old photo album, she observes that he was really cute when he was little and Xia Ling jokes back that he was only cute when he was younger.  QY then points to a picture and remarks with some surprise that he still has that photo, and Xia Ling tells her it was her father who kept the photo.  [We then see that it’s a photo of her as a little girl dancing with her mother sitting in the background.  There’s a note on the back too and it says something about how it’s a picture of “Little Ying” dancing.]  QY doesn’t know how to respond to that so she just returns the photo to the photo album and moves onto another picture asking if it was from the time they went to an amusement park together.  Xia Ling starts to recall his own memories from that day, of how scary this one particular ride was and how he broke out into tears because of it, and QY agrees with a laugh that when he was little, he really was quite timid. 

Xia Ling’s mother returns home at that moment, surprising QY’s dad.  He asks why she’s home so early and she tells him that she has to take Xia Ling to rehab tomorrow and there’s a lot to prepare.  She hears Xia Ling, who sounds happy, and asks who’s visiting.  He confesses after some hesitation that QY came to visit.  Xia Ling’s mother’s expression changes immediately as she asks why QY came to visit and goes charging towards the bedroom.  The door opens and everyone looks at each other in awkwardness.  QY’s father interjects and tells QY that her Auntie Xia’s home, and QY immediately closs the photo album and tells Xia Ling that she’ll come visit him another day, but she should head out now.  As QY walks past him, Xia Ling stops her by reminding her that she’d once offered to take him to her team for a visit.  QY tells him that if he’d like to visit, he’s welcome any time, and Xia Ling suggests that they go now.  Just as his mother’s about to object, their father gives his blessing to this idea and tells them to go on ahead.  He tells them to go out and have some fun, since it’s boring to just sit at home all day.  QY turns back to promise that she’ll take good care of Xia Ling and her father sends them off by reminding them to be safe.  After they leave, he drags his wife off to the side and tells her not to be so annoyed and she just asks him what the meaning of all this is.  He, in turn, explains that his only thought was invite QY over to help straighten Xia Ling out.  He says he knows she wouldn’t want to see him so depressed all the time and points out how much happier Xia Ling’s been ever since QY started visiting.  He suggests she let bygones be bygones instead of stewing over them all the time, and asks if there’s anything more important than seeing their child get better.  As Xia Ling’s mother has nothing to say in response to that, she gives up the fight and walks away in annoyance, but not before turning back to tell him that the next time she visits, he should give her a heads up.  QY’s father promises that he definitely will.

At the Phenix training base, Sun Ge and XK are looking over candidate profiles.  Sun Ge holds up two of them and says they’re worth considering.  When XK looks over, Sun Ge points out how one of the candidates has participated in college competitions before and his results weren’t bad.  XK then suggests that they check out his gaming video.  Around them, YX rambles about aimlessly while PX sits at the kitchen counter drinking a cup of coffee while playing on his phone.  It’s at this moment that QY walks through the entrance corridor and tells Xia Ling to be careful.  She asks if he doesn’t think their place is pretty nice and then greets the others by announcing that she’s returned.  She also tells them that she brought with her a new friend for them to meet, her little brother, Xia Ling.  XK says, “Hello, Xia Ling,” and Sun Ge says, “Hello Little Brother.”  Xia Ling looks XK up and down and says with an expression of scorn, “So you’re JXK.”  XK nods his head ever so slightly as he looks to QY, and Xia Ling continues by saying that a lot of people say he’s the Master Battleground Swindler (XK smiles broadly at the compliment) but even more people say he’s the “hand klutz” of the entire professional circuit.  QY admonishes him by calling out his name, while YX says, “Aiyo,” and XK?  Well, he takes the diss in stride as he takes everything in stride, and just says, “That’s right, I am that legendary hand klutz.”  Sun Ge pats him on the shoulder comfortingly while Xia Ling just rolls his eyes and walks away.  QY tells them that Xia Ling also plays iConquer and suggests to Xia Ling that since they happen to have all the pro players there today, he take the opportunity to learn from them.  YX steps up immediately and offers to give him some pointers, but Xia Ling rejects him by asking what point there is in playing with him, a support player.  It’s YX’s turn to look around stunned and he just holds up his thumb in response.  Sun Ge says it looks like Xia Ling has some familiarity with everyone and QY uses that to segue into introducing Xia Ling to Sun Ge.  She tells him that Sun Ge used to be the leader of the Pioneer team and is one of the five great players from back in the day, and Xia Ling bows politely.  His eyes, however, keep straying back towards PX and he says, “I want to play a game against him, can I?”  XK reacts in surprise and asks, “You want to play against him?”  QY explains that PX is Xia Ling’s idol and everyone goes,”Ahhhh” (LOL) while PX finally turns around to see what’s going on.  QY asks PX if they can, and YX asks why Xia Ling would want to play with PX when he’s just their training partner.  He suggests that if he wants to play, he play with him.  But Xia Ling has no interest in YX and says he only wants to challenge the strongest.  Everyone looks at everybody, and PX tips his head to the side before standing up and saying, “Sure.  I accept your challenge.” 

As Xia Ling and PX play, the others crowd around behind Xia Ling to watch.  Sun Ge and XK exchange looks over QY’s head and when XK tips his head ever so slightly towards Xia Ling’s computer screen, Sun Ge shakes his head in disbelief.  YX (who I will remind is the only one who’s never seen 409 play) reaches out to tap Sun Ge for attention and then holds his thumb up as he points at Xia Ling’s playing.  The game ends in a loss for Xia Ling, but rather than being disappointed he just remarks on how PX is, as expected, the top mid-solo player and politely expresses gratitude for having had the opportunity to play against him.  PX then stands and says, “Actually, you weren’t bad either,” to which XK (purposely) responds by tsking and saying, “Losing to the top mid solo player isn’t something to be embarrassed about.  In the future, we can just work harder.”  When he reaches out to pat Xia Ling on the shoulder in comfort, Xia Ling looks back and sneers that the person who should be working harder is him.  XK accepts this and says he’ll work harder, and then asks the others if they think Xia Ling’s style of play is similar to someone else’s.  PX agrees that they are similar and YX asks what they’re talking about.  PX then starts to describe the sequence of plays that Xia Ling made just now and concludes the list by saying it’s very similar to how 409 plays.  Sun Ge agrees and says that the minute Xia Ling came out attacking, he also got the feeling that there was something going on.  YX holds out his arms and tells them to hold up, as he struggles to catch up, and asks if they’re suggesting that Xia Ling is that genius player that they’ve been trying to find.  Xia Ling says that he doesn’t know what they’re talking about and so XK starts to use a little reverse psychology as he says, in his opinion, Xia Ling’s not like [409].  He then starts to pan Xia Ling’s skills saying they’re just mediocre and Sun Ge, who catches on quickly to what he’s doing, hums in agreement.  YX, on the other hand, defends Xia Ling and says he already played pretty well, and PX joins the others by saying Xia Ling’s playing only looked like 409’s.  He then observes how he only used 2 percent of his skills but was still able to beat him easily.  YX mutters that PX’s boasting again and XK says, “I think, at most, he’s just an imitator of 409’s.”  QY tells him not to go overboard, and XK feigns innocence by asking how his words can be considered as attacking.  He then complains that Xia Ling was the won who attacked him earlier, and says that he’s just speaking the truth now.  He then adds condescendingly that Xia Ling should have some awareness of his own skill level.  Finally provoked to the point where he can’t stay silent anymore, Xia Ling rushes to his feet in anger and retorts, “You really think you understand 409?  Didn’t you lose to him?”  XK pretends to be surprised by this question and Sun Ge asks, “How do you know that the two of them have battled against each other before?”  Xia Ling has no response as he realizes he just outed himself, and XK also crosses his arms and observes that it looks like if they didn’t incite him a little bit, he was never going to admit it.  PX also adds, “You played pretty well, 409.”  YX looks around in adorable surprise and asks, “He really is 409?”  Everyone claps and QY tries to talk to him, but when he just reaches for his clutch angrily, they quickly stop with the hand claps and XK wisely closes it up.  Xia Ling tells his sister that he wants to go home but as he walks past, XK reaches out and asks in seriousness whether he’s willing to join Team Phenix.  Xia Ling looks back to say he’s not interested, and XK lets his hand drop from his shoulder.  QY tells XK that she’s going to send him off and then the two siblings walk off.  After they leave, Sun Ge observes that this was an unexpected gain for them and XK agrees that he brought himself to their door. 

Xia Ling is sitting on a park bench by himself when QY returns with a surprise hidden by her back.  She takes a seat next to him and then pulls out out an ice cream cone from behind her back.  She reminds him of how, when he was little, whenever he was unhappy, he would always ask for ice cream.  She offers the ice cream cone to him and tells him to cheer up.  He takes the cone, but he just holds it in his hands as he continues to sit staring straight ahead.  QY tells him that she never imagined her little brother would turn out to be 409.  She praises his playing skills and Xia Ling tells her that he knows what they’re trying to do; they just want him to join the team so he’ll have something to do, since he has nothing else he can do.  QY points out that her only purpose in bringing him out was so that he could take a walk instead of spending his every day at home; she never imagined he would turn out to be 409.  She then tries to reassure him that XK’s invitation just now to join the team was sincere, and tells Xia Ling that he doesn’t know how hard they’ve been working to find him.  Xia Ling suggests she get XK to give up on him and asks what the point of asking him, an unprofessional cripple, is when she and the others have the objective of winning the world championships.  QY says sternly that she won’t allow him to talk about himself like that, but Xia Ling just reaches for his crutch and makes the excuse that she’s pretty busy so he’ll head back first.  QY helps him stand, but he asks that she allow him to do it on his own.  He then falls when he tries to walk by himself and when QY helps him back up, she reminds him that she’d told him not to try and be so brave.  She suggests that he take things slowly instead and Xia Ling uses this incident to drive home his point that this is all he’s currently capable of.  As the siblings walk off, we see that PX has also arrived to the park and is watching them.  He takes out his phone and calls XK.  When XK asks how their conversation went, PX answers that he saw him, but given his current state, even if they met up, he wouldn’t be able to convince him.  He then asks if XK’s certain Xia Ling’s the person that the Phenix team needs right now, and XK answers that for now, there’s no one more suitable than him so he doesn’t want to miss out on him.  PX then responds that since he’s currently in an abyss, they should help him see what he’s capable of.  He says he wants him to know his meaning and worth, and XK asks what he means by that.  PX answers still cryptically that he’s going to give him a strong dose of medicine and after he hangs up, XK’s still left confused on the other end of the phone. 

Xia Ling is back in his bedroom looking at photos of himself playing basketball with his friends and then starts to rip up those same photographs.  He’s distracted only when his phone alerts him to a new message; it’s a group chat and his friends comment on his amazingness and express their surprise at learning he’s a master at the iConquer game.  They ask him to lead them the next time they play and tell him that he’s become famous throughout their school, noting that someone even approached them to ask for his WeiXin.  They then tell him to hurry up and check out the school’s online forum as it’s full of news concerning him.  Xia Ling signs on to his school’s online discussion board and finds people talking about how he, who’s from the basketball department, is actually one of the country’s top gamers.  Various people react in surprise as they say they never imagined Xia Ling would turn out to be 409, and what a waste it would be if he didn’t join a professional team.  Someone then says they heard he was injured and can’t play basketball anymore and another person wonders what he’ll do now given how great of a basketball player he used to be.  The more Xia Ling reads, the angrier he becomes.  He bangs his fist on the desk and slams his laptop screen shut, and then immediately gets up to go somewhere.

The Phenix team is preparing to sit down for a meal, with XK and XY already sitting at the table and QY passing them bowls of rice.  She tells them that one of their candidates, Xiao Hei, contacted her and said he was willing to join them.  XK responds that they should find a time to meet with him then, and YX asks if they’re really going to go with him.  XK shrugs and asks if not him, who else.  PX suggests they wait a little bit more and says he has faith that Xia Ling will come and look for them, and YX in turn suggests they just eat.  As he and XK start to dig into their meal, QY looks towards the door and notices Xia Ling charging towards them.  She runs over asking him why he’s there and when she reaches his side, she tells him he arrived just as they were about to eat.  She tells him to take things slowly and XK looks over in surprise, while YX holds up his thumb at PX and tells him he’s impressive.  PX looks less excited though, probably because unlike everyone else, he knows what’s going to happen next.  Xia Ling points his finger accusingly at XK and asks if they posted the video online.  QY asks what’s going on and XK looks equally confused.  When XK gets up from his chair, PX pipes up from the couch and also stands, saying it has nothing to do with the others.  He reveals that it was he who posted the video online.  Xia Ling asks what right he had to do that, and PX responds by apologizing for exposing him as 409.  But he also tells Xia Ling that the reason he did what he did, was because he wanted him to know he’s not a disabled person.  Xia Ling scoffs in response, asking, “I’m not a disabled person?” and then yells that everyone at school now knows his leg is disabled.  PX disagrees, though, and says that what his entire school now knows is that he’s the 409 who spent only half a month’s time to reach the number four spot for the entire nation, and the 409 who had so much courage that he challenged both him and JXK to a game.  XK also chimes in to say that actually, apart from himself, no one else considers him a useless person.  QY agrees and reminds Xia Ling that there are still a lot of things he can do other than play basketball, and XK tells him that as long he’s willing, he can become an outstanding person in any field.  He uses iConquer as an example and points out how Xia Ling was able to enter the top four ranking in such a short amount of time.  He tells Xia Ling that he could even be a professional player and bring credit to his country.  Xia Ling’s not ready to hear it though and asks XK who he thinks he is that he would extend such care and concern over him.  QY calls out his name in a begging manner, like she’s trying to get him to calm down, and XK merely responds that it’s true.  He is an outsider, and then says that if it weren’t for the fact that he was QY’s brother, he wouldn’t be the least big inclined to be concerned about him.  That results in QY calling out his name to scold him, but after looking at her, he says, “With respect to the unfortunate events that you experienced, if I said that I sympathized, you would probably think I was being fake.  But the guilt, self-blame, and concern that QY feels towards you is something I witness every day.”  He then tells Xia Ling that ever since she found out that he wouldn’t be able to play basketball again, she hasn’t eaten well or slept well.  Instead, all she does is spend every day trying to think of ways to make him happy.  He adds that it’s no different for his parents, who try to find ways to amuse him every day as they’re afraid he might be sensitive and might never be able to let things go.  He points out how they’re even afraid to say the word “run” in front of him, and then tells Xia Ling that everyone’s doing what they’re doing not because they think of him as a disabled person, but because they want him to actively and energetically face life.  PX tells Xia Ling that he’s already 20 years old, and asks if he’s planning on spending the rest of his life hiding out at home, being a disabled person, torturing those around him with his depressed attitude, or whether he’s going to be that person who stands up again and uses his hands to win back what was originally his.  He suggests that Xia Ling give it some consideration and Xia Ling tells him that’s enough, and says to everyone that he doesn’t need their care and concern before walking out.  When QY tries to hold on to him, he just shoves her aside.  XK yells after him that the window to transfer to another iConquer team is closing soon, but they’re willing to wait for him until the last moment.  After Xia Ling leaves, PX holds on to QY to prevent her from following and says that since he caused the trouble, he’ll be the one to handle it. 

PX catches up to Xia Ling outside, and Xia Ling asks if he will stop following him.  PX apologizes again for the video and Xia Ling scoffs, asking who wants him to apologize.  PX emphasizes that this was his own individual action and says that if Xia Ling feels like he brought harm to him, he can hate him, but it has nothing to do with the others.  Xia Ling then responds (using exaggerated expressions of politeness) that he hopes they’ll stop concerning themselves with him.  PX says that’s not possible and says he won’t stop caring about him, that his sister won’t either, and that all the Phenix team members won’t stop caring about him.  Xia Ling doesn’t care though and says it’s still not going to make him join the team.  PX agrees that no matter how much he wants Xia Ling to join the Phenix team, it’s his decision, and says that what he actually wishes for even more right now is to see Xia Ling pull himself torgether.  He says, “Your sister told us you used to be a really cheerful person, but what about now?”  Xia Ling shouts back, equally angered, and asks what business it is of his how he used to be.  When Xia Ling starts to walk away, PX holds him and place and tells him to stand still and then tells him he doesn’t to see him turn into the person he used to be.  This admission seems to have an effect on Xia Ling, and the scene transitions to the park where PX and Xia Ling are now sitting side by side in calmer tempers.

Xia Ling shares that it’s because he doesn’t want pity from others that he’d rather be by himself.  PX shares that it was because he was afraid that others would think of him as a weird person that he also previously preferred to be alone.  Xia Ling has hard time believing that and asks who would dare to say that about him and PX guesses, “Probably almost everyone who’s worked with me.”  He tells Xia Ling that he never used to care what other people were doing, and that included during competitions when he would rather turn off his microphone and listen to music.  He adds that he never communicated with his team members and even if other people said “PX always plays one against nine; PX is self-centered and has no team spirit,” he didn’t care.  Xia Ling points out that he still managed to win anyway, and that he’s the first-place mid-solo player, but PX disagrees that he’s “first” at anything when he’s never managed to make it to the world championship finals.  He then tells Xia Ling that iConquer has never been an inidivual sport, that it was only recently that he also came to understand that point, and that he regrets that.  Xia Ling asks what he regrets, and PX elaborates that he regrets that he used to close himself off from others when he obviously wanted to be around others and wanted to experience what it was like to be part of a team, but was just afraid of being seen as weird by others so he didn’t have the courage to take that first step.  PX explains that’s why whenever he had free time, he didn’t want to stay with the team, but would rather go to Dream Journey and make coffee for strangers.  When Xia Ling looks at him in surprise, PX tells him that this is the first time he’s ever spoken aloud these inner thoughts and feelings, and it’s because he doesn’t Xia Ling to become the person he used to be – someone who bundles themselves up tightly.  He adds that actually, he’s quite envious of Xia Ling because during his most difficult of times, he’s had so many people willing to help him, and asks him to promise him that he won’t reject the people who care about him.  Xia Ling nods and PX tells him that he’s very talented, whether it’s iConquer or basketball, they’re both competitive sports and points out that as competitive athletes, they’re not the type to settle for mediocrity.  Xia Ling asks why he then joined the Phenix team to be their training partner and PX explains that what he gains from Phenix is something he would never gain from another team.  Xia Ling asks what that is, and PX answers that if he wants to know then he’ll have to join the team and give it a try, and find the answer for himself. 

When Xia Ling returns home later that day, he finds his parents in the living room reading books on acupuncture and practicing on each other.  Judging from the pain his father keeps incurring, I’d say his mom still has a long way to go.  His dad complains that she’s been practicing for days and can’t seem to remember any of the pressure points and offers to swap places with her, but she asks how their son is going to be able to bear it when he can’t seem to figure out how much weight to use.  When his mom notices him watching them, she comments that he’s back and asks if he’s eaten.  He answers that he has and just smiles at them before returning to him room.  His parents are encouraged by the fact that he’s finally smiling.

At the Phenix training base, QY paces while XK watches her from the training room.  He finally walks over and asks her what’s wrong and whether she’s still worried about Xia Ling.  QY says she wants to call him, but she also doesn’t dare because she’s afraid of affecting his mood.  XK says he hopes PX’s methods will help him to pull himself together and QY says that actually, PX has an ardent heart, he’s just usually, he’s too good at hiding it.  XK smiles and agrees, but adds that now he doesn’t need to hide it anymore.  He also says that thanks to Xia Ling’s business, he’s come to know a different PX and says that he trusts he’ll shine as a member of the Phenix team.  QY’s eyes grow big as she realizes what he’s all but saying and asks, “Do you mean…”  But XK, still not wanting to admit it, just turns his head aside and walks away.  Haha.  QY also laughs as she moves to follow him.

In his bedroom that night, Xia Ling gets a message.  He checks his iPad and it’s a video sent by his friends.  They tell him that they miss him and when his leg is recovered, they’ll play a game with him.  Another friend tells him that he just knew that had to have been him [in the computer game] and calls him cool.  A third friend tells him that he just knew Xia Ling wouldn’t be toppled over and encourages him by saying that in life, where there’s a competition, he should just head towards it.  A female friend pipes up that everyone in their class thinks highly of him and there’s nothing he can’t get past.  Finally, someone drags over his crush and tells him to take a look at who it is.  His crush tells him that she watched his individual match and he was the same as ever.  She tells him that wherever he is, he’s the best, and the entire group of friend goes wild behind her.  After the video finishes, Xia Ling thinks back to PX’s words about how he doesn’t want to see him become how he used to be, all bundled up tightly.  He remembers how PX had said he was actually envious of him because he had so many people willing to help him during these most difficult of times, and in tears, he also remembers how PX had asked him to promise him that he wouldn’t reject those who cared about him. 

The next morning, his mother sets the breakfast table and wonders if Xia Ling’s awake or not.  When she calls for him to come eat breakfast, we discover that Xia Ling’s not only awake, he’s fully dressed with his suitcase packed.  He tells his parents he’s ready to return to school and they ask if he’s really ready to go back to school and attend classes.  Xia Ling confirms this and tells them that they needn’t keep researching acupuncture pressure points and whatnot as he’ll go to the hospital for rehab.  His mom asks if he’s finally thought things through, and he smiles that he has.  His dad tells him to eat and says that after breakfast, they’ll drop him off at school.  When they arrive at school, his mother wants to see him to his dorm so she can give some instructions to his friends in order for them to help take care of him, but Xia Ling tells her it’s okay and suggests they head back first as he’s already spoken with his friends and they’ll be waiting for him downstairs.  His dad agrees that mom only knows how to worry for her child and asks what she’s worried about.  He tells Xia Ling that if there’s anything he can’t adapt to at school, he should come home and let them know.  He then hands over his suitcase, while his mom tells him that if he finds he’s missing anything, he should let her know and she’ll send it over.  Xia Ling says okay and then says he’s leaving first and tells them again to hurry and head on home.  When his mother sees him limping along and dragging his suitcase, she tries to run after saying that she should just send him off since it’s too heavy, but dad drags her back and tells her to just let him do it himself.  He says, “Xia Ling can do it.” 

The Phenix team is gathered in their living room where they are all waiting.  QY keeps looking towards the door and her phone, but there’s nothing.  YX asks if they really want that Xiao Hei to come [the other candidate they were considering], and PX suggests they wait a little bit more for Xia Ling.  Sun Ge answers that they really don’t have any more time to continue waiting.  At that moment, QY gets a message on her phone.  After listening to it, she plays it back for the others and tells them to listen.  It’s a message from her father who tells her that Xia Ling’s gone back to school and that he and her Auntie Xia want to thank her for all the help she provided during this time in helping Xia Ling to find his way out.  When the message ends, YX comments that it looks like Xia Ling’s not coming.  Everyone sits with with heads hung and XK finally suggests that they contact Xiao Hei.  QY’s about to pick up her phone again and that’s when they hear the front door open.  It’s Xia Ling!  QY runs down to meet him and the others gather where they can better see him in the entryway.  [I LOVE THIS!  AND HOW HAPPY EVERYONE LOOKS!}  When Xia Ling draws near, YX asks if he didn’t return to school and Xia Ling tells them that he’s already arranged everything with his school.  He then says, “I have only one question.  Will I be able to win the championship title by coming here?”  The others exchanges smiles and laughs and XK says, “If everyone works hard, there still a possibility,” while XY says “it’s extremely possible.”  PX reaches out to hug Xia Ling as he congratulates him on joining Phenix and YX also walks over saying, “Come here, little brother,” and gives him a hug.  He also tells Xia Ling that from now on, “Xuan Ge” will cover for him and that he’s not allowed to look down on support players again.  The others laugh and QY tells him that’s enough.  Sun Ge nudges XK and he acknowledges the hint before coughing and saying he has an announcement to make, which is that as of today, PX has officially become the last member to join team Phenix.  PX looks up in surprise and asks, “Me?”  When XK nods, he protests that he’s not prepared, but XK disagrees and says he’s already prepared enough.  QY asks what everyone else thinks and YX says he thinks he’s still missing a little something.  Everyone laughs and then XK says that during this time, everyone’s evaluation of him has been very high.  He’s also learned how to work with others and how to make efforts.  Sun Ge agrees that he’s already proven he’s no longer the top ranking mid-solo player who only knows how to play “four protect one,” and YX chimes in to say that he actually admires him for how he handled Xia Ling’s business.  With that said, XK announces once more that PX and Xia Ling have officially joined the Phenix team and that means their team has been formally established.  QY says they should all remembers this day and holds out her hand.  Everyone piles their hands on top with PX placing his on top last.  He then starts the team slogan chant and everyone joins in. 

What follows next is a montage of the Phenix team coming together.  First, we see them practicing as a group.  We can see how they’re now getting along as even YX praises PX for a move he made in the game and calls him a “good brother.”  Xia Ling also wakes up one morning to find messages hanging over him from the bunk bed railing; they’re messages of encouragement left for him by his new brothers.  QY and XK play with sparklers in the living room, and all them members take a break by playing foosball.  There’s an hilarious scene where YX messes with PX’s coffee when he’s not looking and, as a result, PX chases him around the room.  All the members then gather to paint the team’s logo on the wall and the episode ends with everyone admiring their final work product. 

Head Pat Count (episode): 2

Head Pat Count (total): 8

Fist Bump Count (episode): 0

Fist Bump Count (total): 7

@lynne22, studying the still of when Pioneer team wins the World Championships you can really see how Shu Wen does not look as thrilled as the others.  She's clearly missing Sun Ge and I love how they captured that.  Also, what a difference compared to the still below where she's so happy the Phenix team has won and she's got Sun Ge's arms around her.  :wub:

(Moved from the Love is Deep thread)

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@raziela

Judging by the snippets I watched, Gank Your Heart (what a weird title!) had better style choices, especially for the female heroine ha-ha. That was the other thing I couldn't stand on Go2 Squid. I'd be like WTF is she wearing?! But the OTP look really pretty too eheheh. Oh I'm not into gaming either! There's The King's Avatar (don't know how good that is<_<) China must really love gaming:P I still much prefer Love 02O:D

@Latte_Anyday, I thought it was a weird title as well until I realized "gank" must be a gaming term and, indeed, it means "use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent)" so put in the context of this drama, I like to think of it as the leads sneaking in  to steal each other's hearts because that's essentially what happens given that they start out not liking each other due to a mess of misunderstandings.  Over time, the more they interact, they realize they have the wrong impressions of each other and it's from there that they begin as friends and then something more.  It may not be an immediate romance, but I really enjoyed watching their relationship evolve over time.  Also, I would like to observe that half the time when they "weren't dating," they essentially were dating!  They just weren't admitting to their real feelings for each other but they otherwise operated as boyfriend and girlfriend.  :P 

As for the gaming aspect of the drama, it provides the framework for the story but you could easily substitute something else in its place to get the point across so I wouldn't focus so much on whether computer games interest you or not (I'm not a gamer either, by any means, and yet I super love this drama).  It's basically a story of two individuals who are down on their luck (in large part because they are screwed over by other people in their lives).  They work hard to pick themselves up and they have the help of each other and their friends along the way, to help them reach the top.  (The Chinese title of the drama is, "I'll accompany you to the top of the world.")  It's a story of individual growth, of teamwork, of family and friendships.  There is, IMO, a lot to love about this drama.  I actually really love that the story gives us more than just romance, if you will.  

Anyway, it's no secret in this forum that I am a Super Fan of this drama so of course my advice is to give it a try.  ;) As for "The King's Avatar," which I am also currently watching... in simplest terms, I'd describe it as Gank Your Heart without the romance.  :P It's also about underdogs coming together to form a team, find their way, and learn how to work together -- it's mostly focused on gaming so in that regard, I wouldn't recommend it as it doesn't sound like that is your thing.  

@themarchioness

Aw~you're so sweet:kiss_wink: thanks for the tag mention. 

When @raziela mentioned you were a superfan of this drama I thought she was joking, I guess not ha-ha:joy:

I now feel the urge to watch both Gank Your Heart (someone else did say it stood for steal LoL) & The King's Avatar. It's sort of hard to do right now.. as I'm streaming it on my phone. It drains up a lot of battery.... :(

@themarchioness

the team for Gank Your Heart should really appoint you as their representative in promoting their drama:lol: You certainly do a great job:D

21 hours ago, themarchioness said:

(Moved from the Love is Deep thread)

@Latte_Anyday, I thought it was a weird title as well until I realized "gank" must be a gaming term and, indeed, it means "use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent)" so put in the context of this drama, I like to think of it as the leads sneaking in  to steal each other's hearts because that's essentially what happens given that they start out not liking each other due to a mess of misunderstandings.  Over time, the more they interact, they realize they have the wrong impressions of each other and it's from there that they begin as friends and then something more.  It may not be an immediate romance, but I really enjoyed watching their relationship evolve over time.  Also, I would like to observe that half the time when they "weren't dating," they essentially were dating!  They just weren't admitting to their real feelings for each other but they otherwise operated as boyfriend and girlfriend.  :P 

As for the gaming aspect of the drama, it provides the framework for the story but you could easily substitute something else in its place to get the point across so I wouldn't focus so much on whether computer games interest you or not (I'm not a gamer either, by any means, and yet I super love this drama).  It's basically a story of two individuals who are down on their luck (in large part because they are screwed over by other people in their lives).  They work hard to pick themselves up and they have the help of each other and their friends along the way, to help them reach the top.  (The Chinese title of the drama is, "I'll accompany you to the top of the world.")  It's a story of individual growth, of teamwork, of family and friendships.  There is, IMO, a lot to love about this drama.  I actually really love that the story gives us more than just romance, if you will.  

Anyway, it's no secret in this forum that I am a Super Fan of this drama so of course my advice is to give it a try.  ;) As for "The King's Avatar," which I am also currently watching... in simplest terms, I'd describe it as Gank Your Heart without the romance.  :P It's also about underdogs coming together to form a team, find their way, and learn how to work together -- it's mostly focused on gaming so in that regard, I wouldn't recommend it as it doesn't sound like that is your thing.  

I agree with @Latte_Anyday that you do the best representing this drama.  That's a fantastic synopsis.  I wish I had read that when I was avoiding the drama at first because of the unusual title:o Speaking of the title, I much prefer the translation of the original title "I'll accompany you to the top of the world." Don't know why they went for this as the official title.  I think there would be a lot more international interest if this had used the original title.

I also really enjoy the camaraderie and friendships in this drama so I don't mind if the romance doesn't take centre stage straight away. I prefer the slow burn type of dramas where the main couple gradually get to know each other.  I usually find that much more satisfying than when one of them is head over heels for the other immediately.  

18 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@themarchioness

the team for Gank Your Heart should really appoint you as their representative in promoting their drama:lol: You certainly do a great job:D

Hahahaha.  I'd be willing to accept a personal fan meet with the cast in lieu of payment.  ;)  I'm glad I've managed to convince you and look forward to hearing your thoughts when you're able to watch!

2 hours ago, raziela said:

I also really enjoy the camaraderie and friendships in this drama so I don't mind if the romance doesn't take centre stage straight away. I prefer the slow burn type of dramas where the main couple gradually get to know each other.  I usually find that much more satisfying than when one of them is head over heels for the other immediately.  

Couldn't agree more with you on that one @raziela!  I also find the relationship more realistic for it.  And, actually, I find it refreshing that they're not the type to sit in each other's pockets all day long; but, rather, they lead their lives as individuals and as supportive partners.  It's not that I don't enjoy a good sweet romance, I do, but drama is one thing and in reality... well, tbh, I think I'd go nuts if it was Pink Heart Balloons (I'm sure you get what I mean by characterizing it that way) all the time.  That's just not who I am; so QY and XK's relationship, that's my perfect balance.  :P 

ETA: @Latte_Anyday Hadn't heard of "Beyond Light Years" until your post just now so can't offer you any insight.  Sorry!

14 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

There's another, "Beyond Light Years". Would love your opinion @themarchioness on it as well. Sorry for off topic! :sweatingbullets:

There's like no buzz for the drama that I can remember, looks like it's Youku webdrama, rip. Oh it has Novoland's Ji Ye in it. but darn it's pretty hard to have bad ratings on both douban and MDL >___> 

For GGS, I'm like the minority that likes that drama's non-romance bits, the camaraderie and letting go of the past bits (and the better part of the trilogy books), as well as some pretty decent and heartwarming family bits (stepmum-stepson relationship + young single father with a kid who has hearing disability).

@themarchioness

It's ok, no worries:D

@skibbies

Oh really? OK.. 'Cause I just watched a few out of curiosity. It seem to be in my opinion, a very poor..poor..version of Love O20:P So yup I dropped it. 

Not even the family, side stories were enough to save Go2 Squid for me:sweatingbullets: I was moved by the stepmom.

'Cause y'know how they're portrayed in fairytales as evil ha-ha:P

@angelangie

Er--what's HPE?!?! :blink:

Archived