Quantcast
lynne22

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Gank Your Heart 陪你到世界之巅

38 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

LOL,  yes, Yibo often gets offered up for the dancing, singing, skits, etc.  He's also clearly the visual of the group and the audience goes crazy if he even lifts a finger (which his co-MCs often comment on.  I like the group vibe they've got).  But you're right, he doesn't talk a lot, and it's actually for that reason that I love watching his variety show even if I'm not always into whatever else is being highlighted during a particular episode.  As I tell my friends, he's so bad at it that it's adorable.  It's also like watching for Easter eggs to find the Yibo action in any given episode.  Haha.  Still, there are a few gems and I'd be happy to share my favorite DDU Yibo episodes, if interested.

YES!  Please share your gems!  I've only seen some random clips and a couple more recent episodes.  He is the epitome of adorkable lol, but I luv it. :wub: 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

10 hours ago, owlstar said:

YES!  Please share your gems!  I've only seen some random clips and a couple more recent episodes.  He is the epitome of adorkable lol, but I luv it. :wub: 

I've shared them in the Wang Yibo thread, as it's really more specific to him than GYH, so you can follow me there.... and I'll share more later.  Gotta take a break for now.  ;) 

https://forums.soompi.com/topic/440701-official-thread-wang-yi-bo-王一博/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-21602611

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Is it okay to recap out of order?  I recapped out of order. :P  Since I haven't had much free time lately, I decided to start with the Special (rather than the last episode) because it's short(er) and because I figure that's the clip that's not subbed anyway, so people would probably more interested in that.  Enjoy!

Special Episode

Spoiler

“New Legends Team”

Huo Yao, Lu Feng, and Li Nan are waiting outside where they’re joined by Lu Sheng and Tong Wu.  After a merry go round of eye glances, the latter greet Huo Yao by calling him, “Captain,” and he in turn welcomes them to the Legends team.  He then tells everyone their goal for next year is to beat Phenix and beat Ji Xiang Kong.  He then holds up his fist and everyone joins in for a round of “jia you” cheers.  Their cheer completed, Lu Sheng then says that right now they have a problem and asks, between him and Li Nan, who’s going to play mid-solo.  Li Nan responds, “What?  You just arrived but you’re already going after my position?”  Lu Sheng answers, “Of course,” and Huo Yao suggests they play a round of rock-paper-scissors.  Tong Wu says he approves of that idea [and it is so nice to see him laughing, relaxed, and happy instead of his usual intimidated self when he was at VNG] and Lu Sheng can hardly believe that they would be so casual about it.  Huo Yao nods his head, though, and Li Nan tells him to, “Come on.”  They throw their fists and it’s Li Nan who produces a pair of scissors while Lu Sheng throws out his palm for paper.  He immediately responds, “It’s the loser who plays mid-solo, right?”  Lu Feng reacts with an, “Ah?” and asks how he can take advantage of his person, but Lu Sheng tells them that if they’re going to be like this, they’re just going to leave.  Tong Wu agrees that they should let them have their way a little, bu the original Legends team responds by telling them, “Okay, leave.” Lu Sheng asks with a laugh why they’re not even bothering trying to keep him and says they’re being too much.  He then jokingly complains that they’re not being welcoming towards him, but the entire scene ends in a giant group hug and more “jia you’s.”  [Love seeing the two teams come together!]

“Pei Xi X Summer”

A finger pokes at Pei Xi and when he looks up, we see, it’s Summer.  He’s got a mile wide grin on his face that tells us immediately he is not up to any good and has clearly come to find his younger cousin for a favor.  After they greet each other and Summer still pokes at him, Pei Xi observes that his cousin must be up to no good what with the way he’s poking at him.  Summer responds that he just has something to discuss with him.  Pei Xi invites him to speak, and Summer tells him he wants to give himself a vacation.  Pei Xi asks, “So?” and Summer responds, “So, isn’t this the break in between the competition seasons right now?  You’re not doing anything and have a lot of time on your hands, so I’ve decided to turn Dream Journey over to you.”  Pei Xi asks if he’s been diagnosed with an incurable disease or something [and were that actually the case, I love how Pei Xi’s asking this question more out of annoyance/confusion than concern, haha], and Summer asks if he can’t have some hope for him just a little.  He then embarks on a giant complaint by saying he doesn’t understand how a person with his qualities can still be single, and says he doesn’t believe in his fate so he wants to go traveling abroad and see if he can’t have a a beautiful chance meeting with someone.  Pei Xi wrinkles his nose and asks, “It’s because of this?”  Stunned that this cousin doesn’t understand how he feels, Summer repeats the question in disbelief and asks if he can’t understand how others feel.  [To be more accurate, he asks if Pei Xi is, “Baohan bu zhi ehan ji,” which is an idiom for: The well-fed don’t know how the starving suffer.]  He then points out how Pei Xi is a world champion, so every day there are young women chasing after him, and asks, “But what about me?”  As Pei Xi just continues to stare at him, Summer tries to conclude their conversation by decreeing that there’s no room for discussion in this matter because it’s already been decided, but Pei Xi just leans in and says, “Ge, I have a feeling that by the time you return home, you’ll still be single.”  Summer then rushes to cover his mouth, telling him to shut up and calling him an “wuyazui” [who is someone who has made an inauspicious remark] and asking again if he can’t have some hope for him.  He then starts hitting Pei Xi telling him that he’s fortunate to have an older cousin like him while he’s just a rascal, and their scene ends with the cousins poking at each other.  [Too cute!]

“Lin Yi Xuan X Lu Yi Yi”

Yi Xuan and Yi Yi are at a restaurant when he slaps down an envelope on the table and slides it over to Yi Yi’s side.  She asks him what it is and comments that he’s acting very sneakily.  Yi Xuan tells her to open it and have a look, and so Yi Yi opens the envelope and pulls out a bank card.  She starts to ask him what it is and Yi Xuan tells her that it contains the prize money that he most recently won [from the world championships] as well as the money that he previously saved, not a penny less, and that he’s giving it to her.  Yi Yi smiles, obviously happy to hear him say this, but coughs and puts a straight face back on to tell him that she has a salary so she doesn’t want it, and returns the bank card to him.  Yi Xuan tells her that she can’t do that though and says his mom’s said, he’s responsible for earning money and raising a family while she’s to be responsible for being beautiful [“maomeiruhua” is an idiom for “lovely as a flower”].  He then shoves the bank card back over to Yi Yi’s side, but she reacts in surprise to hear that he’s already spoken with his mom about them.  She then complains that she hasn’t even promised to marry him and Yi Xuan responds by asking if she’s planning on running away from him after kissing him.  She’s obviously planning no such thing, given the way there’s a smile that dances at the corner fo her lips, but Yi Yi wouldn’t be Yi Yi if she made things easy for Yi Xuan and wasn’t contrary just for the sake of being contrary, so she tells him, “That’s right.  I do want to run away.  What can you do to me about that?”  Yi Xuan looks away and says, “That’s fine.  You’re fine,” and then he grabs the card and says he’s not giving it to her anymore.  Her plan obviously having backfired on her, Yi Yi tells him he can’t do that and says he already gave it to her so he can’t go back on his word.  She holds out her hand demanding that he return it to her, but Yi Xuan digs in and replies that she hasn’t even agreed to marry him so why should he give her the money that he worked so hard to earn.  Yi Yi, in turn, responds by asking why she should agree to marry him if he won’t give her the card.  Yi Xuan tells her to let go of his hand and then stands while asking whether she’s going to agree to marry him.  Yi Yi also stands and comments that he’s grown in skills such that he now dares to point at her, and then they start a battle where he tells her to let go and she refuses.  He again asks whether she’s going to agree to marry him and she tells him that he should give her the card first and then they’ll talk about it.  Yi Xuan tells her that she has to agree first and then he’ll give her the card, and Yi Yi answers, “I don’t care.  In the future, in this family, what I say goes.”  Yi Xuan starts to protest by saying, “What you say?” but he’s too late as Yi Yi has already grabbed the bank card back by using her teeth. 

“Miya”

Miya is in her hospital room and packing her suitcase when Tony enters.  She comments that he’s arrived and Tony takes note of her actions and asks if she’s being discharged from the hospital.  She makes a noise of assent saying that she’s all better now anyway, and then adds that she also wants to start afresh.  She tells him that a recording studio contacted her and she’s already promised to produce an original solo album through them, reminding him that she’s an independent artist now.  Tony, in turn, asks what company this is and whether it’s reliable.  Miya responds by telling Tony that he’s already worried enough on her behalf and points out that in the future, she’s going to have walk the path by herself anyway.  Tony replies that perhaps it’s just as well things have turned out like this as she’s always wanted to produce her own original music anyway.  Miya then tells him that she’s planning on taking her guitar and traveling on one side while writing music on the other.  And Tony, in turn, asks whether she’s really let go of her romantic attachments.  Miya nods with a smile and says that on the day of the world championship finals, the three of them made their best choices.  Tony smiles in relief to hear her say that and Miya adds that it’s all over, and that she hopes “they” will be happy.  She also tells him, “I also really thank you, Tony,” and he says, “Okay.”  He then takes a seat across from her and says that their old Miya has finally returned.  Miya smiles.

“Sun Ze Yi XShu Wen”

Shu Wen pours two glasses of wine while Sun Ze Yi watches like he doesn’t know what to make of her actions.  When she finishes, she takes a glass and holds it up to him while he picks up his own glass and asks what special day today is that she prepared so many dishes.  Shu Wen takes a sip of her wine and then says there’s something she wants to talk to him about.  Leaning forward against the table, she pulls her hukou [household register] from the back of her skirt and throws it onto the table.  She then says, “Marry me.”  [It is worth noting, however, that in Chinese the terminology for “marry” differs between a male and a female.  Specifically, “qu” is used in the context of a male and has the more literal meaning of “taking a wife,” so this could also be translated as, “Take me for a wife, why don’t you,” whereas “jia” is used in the context of a female and has the more literal meaning of a being married off to a man.]  She then continues, “If you’re okay with it, we’ll do it tomorrow.  If not, then just forget about it.”  [I love how cool Shu Wen is!]  Sun Ze Yi turns his head abruptly back towards her and furrows his brows before taking a sip of his own wine.  Shu Wen interprets this to mean, “Are you not willing?!”  But of course that would never be the case.  Sun Ze Yi puts his wine glass back down and then leaps up to fireman carry her over to the couch.  She yelps in surprise, asking him what he’s doing and telling him to put her down, but she’s the one who started this!  As she laughs and tells him to let her go, he yells out, “I’m going to marry ou!” [Or “I’m going to take you for my wife!” if you want to be more literal.] 

“Xia Ling”

Xia Ling’s mother adds more food to an already decked out dining room table while in the kitchen, Qiu Ying’s father cooks.  Xia Ling enters and starts to pick at one of the dishes, but his mother slaps at him saying that he’s stealing food again.  She tells him that she’s purposely saving that dish for his sister since it’s her favorite dish and Xia Ling licks at his finger and then tells her that Qiu Ying and Ji Xiang Kong went out for a date, so they won’t be coming home to eat.  His mother reacts in surprise, clearly hearing this for the first time, and Dad walks over equally surprised to ask, “Date?  They won’t be coming home to eat?”  Xia Ling nods and says that’s right, and his stepfather notes how they made all this food and asks how they couldn’t have said something.  Mom just runs into the kitchen though and returns with a food thermos.  She tells her husband that she’s going to pack up some of the spareribs and he should go deliver it to the “two kids.”  He points out they’re out on a date though, and asks how he’s supposed to know where he should go to deliver the dish.  He then tells her to forget about it and returns to the kitchen.  Mom sighs in response, but then says still going to pack some up anyway because if she doesn’t, Xia Ling will eat it all later.  Xia Ling observes with amusement how his mother has been showing more and more favoritism torwards his sister, and she just responds with a smile before asking, “Hey, when are you going to bring Gu Jia Yi home?  I’ll make delicious foods for you then too.”  Xia Ling doesn’t quite know how to respond to that and then his phone rings.  When he checks the caller ID, he sees it’s Gu Jia Yi and quickly hides the screen from his mother.  He smiles and then takes his leave by answering his mother that they’ll see and adds that he’ll be back in a little bit to eat dinner.  After he leaves, she returns to packing up the spareribs and commetns, “Great.  Another one’s left.”  Her husband then joins her from the kitchen to ask where Xia Ling went, and she answers that he’s gone off to have a video call with Gu Jia Yi.  He asks who Gu Jia Yi is and she looks at him with a resigned expression on her face and basically remarks that he’s not being a hip and with it dad.  He stares cluelessly back for about a minute and then puts two and two together to react, “Ah?!”  She answers back, “Ah!”  and he says with a happy smile, “My goodness, life really is full of surprises.” 

“Ji Xiang Kong X Qiu Ying”

Sun Ze Yi and Pei Xi are sitting in the living room, while Shu Wen, Xia Ling, and Yi Xuan are standing facing the front entryway to the Phenix training base when they hear a noise in the distance.  Yi Xuan comments excitedly that they’re coming and calls for Pei Xi to join them.  As a result, both Pei Xi and Sun Ze Yi get up from their seats and they all form a line to welcome Xiang Kong who’s being led through the front entryway by Qiu Yin, who has also covered his eyes with her hand.  They struggle to walk straight since she’s so much shorter than him, and the others laugh. We then hear Xiang Kong ask if they’ve arrived yet and Qiu Ying answers that they’re almost there.  He tells her to hurry up and asks if he can look yet, but Qiu Ying waits until he’s standing right in front of his beloved blue bike before telling him to stop.  She then asks if he’s ready and he answers that he is, and tells her to hurry up and let him see.  Qiu Ying exchanges glances with the other and Shu Wen counts down with her fingers.  Qiu Ying then nods at the others and lifts her hand from Xiang Kong’s eyes.  When Xiang Kong opens his eyes, he reacts by taking a step backwards in surprise and looks at everybody in shock.  Shu Wen tells him that his cherished baby has returned home and when Xiang Kong can only stutter and stammer, “This?” Yi Xuan tosses him the keys to his bike.  He then points at them and starts to ask, “You guys?” and Qiu Ying explains that they purchased it back.  She reminds him that they’d always said, when they had the money, they would purchase it back.  Xiang Kong’s so happy he picks Qiu Ying up to twirl her around while saying, “Thank you!” . . . and then puts her back down to run over to his bike while saying, “My big baby!”  The others react in laughter while Qiu Ying runs over to ask what’s going on.  She asks if he doesn’t want her anymore now that he has his bike back, and Xiang Kong answers that he has to ride it as it’s been far too long since he’s seen his bike.  He then starts the engine and it’s like he’s having a moment when he hears the way it purrs beneath him.  Qiu Ying claps and asks if he’s happy and everyone else joins him in his excitement by clapping, whooping and hollering.  He then turns off the engine and tells them that he’s simply too happy, and asks how he should thank them.  Shu Wen answers that it depends on how he wants to handle it and Yi Xuan adds that it depends on his sincerity.  Xiang Kong then says, “How about this?  I’ll give everyone a week off.”  Qiu Ying, as his main supporter, immediately starts to clap in excitement and says, “Wow, so happy!” but everyone else is less enthusiastic.  Xia Ling even claps his hand and sarcastically replies, “That’s great, Captain, nice!  Woohoo!” while Shu Wen adds, “So generous!” although her tone suggests otherwise.  Xiang Kong then suggests that he’ll take them to eat seafood, and when that’s met with marginally more enthusiasm, he then suggests a buffet.  That’s met with more sarcasm, as Yi Xuan says they’re too happy, and finally Xiang Kong suggests that he’ll give them a month off.  Everyone starts screaming in genuine excitement at that announcement, although I can’t help but note that only Pei Xi looks unenthused, haha. 

After a round of high fives and one last glimpse at the world championship trophy, the scene segues into a dance party with all the players and Lu Yi Yi at the Legends training base.  And then the drama ends, this time for good, with Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong sitting on the back of his bike with his arm around her and sparklers going off around them.  He leans in and the drama CRUELLY cuts off before we get a kiss; sigh.

Link: https://m.weibo.cn/status/4391149609331178?

• Love 6

@themarchioness :joy::joy::joy: Thanks for the recap on the Special Episode 

What a great ending for everyone right????? It ended with a bright note giving us clear visions of their future.. together and happy... even if they will face more hardship later on.. 

(My complaint are excatly that last shot grrrrrrr I stand by my word.. he was totally leaning for a kiss T_T) I'll share the gif of this scene later... lols

Anyway.... few gifs from the special episode :wub:

007cyGSsly1g4p5s2w0q8j30jk0b4tdm.jpg

007cyGSsly1g4p8dcgq69g30h20b0b2a.gif

Hahahaha OMG!!!!! I totally get why QY complain at him.. :P  

007cyGSsly1g4p8ddyivig30h20b0hdv.gif

007cyGSsly1g4p8dcduhwg30h20b0u0x.gif

007cyGSsly1g4p8de4s03g30h20b0kjm.gif

Special Mention

Spoiler

007cyGSsly1g4p5s33skvj30jj0b1dl6.jpg

007cyGSsly1g4p5s38r30j30jg0b343o.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

5 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

(My complaint are excatly that last shot grrrrrrr I stand by my word.. he was totally leaning for a kiss T_T) I'll share the gif of this scene later... lols

He totally was!  Gah.  So mean, Show, so mean!

• LOL 3

I feel like this is the first chinese youth drama that I have watched where the male and female leads flirt so obviously. Its refreshing compared to the usual almost flirt but then hid their emotions until some super big incident. Also, I managed to download all the episodes and have binge watched the whole series almost 5 times in a row already. I can't stop and the minute i finish the last episode, I start re-watching from episode 1. I can't stop :)

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2

10 hours ago, lynne22 said:

007cyGSsly1g4p8ddyivig30h20b0hdv.gif

Lol that reminded me of this! 

That's probably not actually Yibo (I don't think :lol:) but he really does love his motorcycle!

• LOL 3

I just realized after watching the whole drama for the fifth time, QY is the only person JXK almost always tells the truth to about his feelings and stuff. He can't seem to hide it from her, be it when he got no offers from other teams after leaving Legends or during their training time at phoenix. But the same can't be said for when he was with MY. If you check the flashbacks he even lied to her that her Taylor guitar was not as expensive as she though, even though he asked the owner if he could work for him and pay in installment (meaning it was still super expensive even though it was second hand). 

I kind of feel like JXK always treats MY like a delicate doll that needs to be taken very excessive care of and he needs to be super careful around her. But with QY he seems so comfortable, to the extent of always speaking his mind to her and flirting with her with so much ease. It goes to show that without realizing he always treated QY as an equal and his soulmate.

But this could all be me over analyzing as a result of Wang Yibo withdrawal from finishing Gank Your Heart and The Untamed.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

On 9/25/2019 at 10:07 AM, skibbies said:

- I think it's both writing and Yibo? They definitely rewrote the script to include motorcycles for Wang Yibo  (since that's not in the books), but WYB is not flirty, he's playful once you get to know him I guess. It's probably easier to contrast the distaste/aloofness in the beginning and caring and sweet in the middle and end, whereas with flirty, it's harder to get the change in relationship/feelings across. Book!XK actually straight up rejects QY when she confessed because he knows she's serious. So I don't think he dated anyone (no time and he's still pining for Miya), he's just flirty cos he thinks it's fun?? It's also limited PoV, so he could be mostly flirty towards fans to maintain an image + in front of QY because it's fun to play with her.

I didn't know the motorcycles were added for WYB:o  I thought it was the other way around and maybe that's what interested WYB in the role in the first place lol!  I agree the way they wrote his more aloof character in the drama makes the gradual changes in his interactions with QY more noticeable and satisfying.  QY confesses first in the book and XK rejects her?  Once again, I think I definitely prefer the drama change.

On 9/25/2019 at 10:07 AM, skibbies said:

- There's still only two professional female players in King's Avatar in a cast of 20 or so pro players (Chen Guo isn't, she's a manager. As a gamer, she's above average but nowhere near top even outside of pro league). It's just they appear earlier and more frequently so the imbalance feels less pronounced. TKA doesn't treat female players any different for the most part, which is definitely nice. I really glad they actually include Shu Wen and that girl, since it's drama original (Shu Wen is just a team coach in the book. Coach does imply she played professionally before I guess, but it's not necessarily concrete) In the 5 or 6 books I read that feature female pro players, they were all the first pro female player in their particular game.

I did a cursory search about female players irl, and there's definitely not many, fair few well known ones also competed in Women's competitions (although I think they might be solo competitions mhm), which is little different from playing in a mixed gender team. There's of course definitely issues that the book mentioned, like using female players as mascots or gimmicks, having their looks/height/measurements being part of the recruitment requirements, it's pretty yikes. I think it's even worse than regular male dominated fields like tech (which is pretty misogynistic to begin with), it's kind of like gaming? (game developing or just playing multiplayers online), but you also have so many people commenting/speculating on your everything  regardless if you win or lose. 

Thanks. I am so happy they made Shu Wen a former professional player and, of course, I've already said how much I love the role of Team Pioneer in the drama.  The drama really made a great call with those changes.

I'm only on episode 5  into The King's Avatar but I think I've seen three so far: there was a girl gamer on the losing team in the very first game, then Yer Qiu's team mate and I am guessing Chen Guo's friend is on her way to being a team member (sorry I don't know most of the character names yet :sweatingbullets:).  I guess I won't hold my breath to see more  female players in the drama.

I had wondered if the drama was a reflection of the situation in gaming in real life.  I watched a few videos on YouTube about the lack of professional female gamers and a lot of them reflect what you said and looking at some of the comments from male gamers is just yikes.  Definitely seems like an unpleasant environment for women to be taken seriously as players.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:12 PM, owlstar said:

I didn’t know about YY being an idol but WYB is kind of a veteran already, since he debuted in his teens.   He’s known for his dance skills I think (and he’s good! see here, and here, and I don’t think he’s even legal here :D).

Wow!  He IS a really good dancer.  I felt sorry for the other guy in the dance battle. WYB was on another level.

On 9/26/2019 at 3:33 AM, themarchioness said:

Is it okay to recap out of order?  I recapped out of order. :P  Since I haven't had much free time lately, I decided to start with the Special (rather than the last episode) because it's short(er) and because I figure that's the clip that's not subbed anyway, so people would probably more interested in that.  Enjoy!

Special Episode

Reveal hidden contents

“New Legends Team”

Huo Yao, Lu Feng, and Li Nan are waiting outside where they’re joined by Lu Sheng and Tong Wu.  After a merry go round of eye glances, the latter greet Huo Yao by calling him, “Captain,” and he in turn welcomes them to the Legends team.  He then tells everyone their goal for next year is to beat Phenix and beat Ji Xiang Kong.  He then holds up his fist and everyone joins in for a round of “jia you” cheers.  Their cheer completed, Lu Sheng then says that right now they have a problem and asks, between him and Li Nan, who’s going to play mid-solo.  Li Nan responds, “What?  You just arrived but you’re already going after my position?”  Lu Sheng answers, “Of course,” and Huo Yao suggests they play a round of rock-paper-scissors.  Tong Wu says he approves of that idea [and it is so nice to see him laughing, relaxed, and happy instead of his usual intimidated self when he was at VNG] and Lu Sheng can hardly believe that they would be so casual about it.  Huo Yao nods his head, though, and Li Nan tells him to, “Come on.”  They throw their fists and it’s Li Nan who produces a pair of scissors while Lu Sheng throws out his palm for paper.  He immediately responds, “It’s the loser who plays mid-solo, right?”  Lu Feng reacts with an, “Ah?” and asks how he can take advantage of his person, but Lu Sheng tells them that if they’re going to be like this, they’re just going to leave.  Tong Wu agrees that they should let them have their way a little, bu the original Legends team responds by telling them, “Okay, leave.” Lu Sheng asks with a laugh why they’re not even bothering trying to keep him and says they’re being too much.  He then jokingly complains that they’re not being welcoming towards him, but the entire scene ends in a giant group hug and more “jia you’s.”  [Love seeing the two teams come together!]

“Pei Xi X Summer”

A finger pokes at Pei Xi and when he looks up, we see, it’s Summer.  He’s got a mile wide grin on his face that tells us immediately he is not up to any good and has clearly come to find his younger cousin for a favor.  After they greet each other and Summer still pokes at him, Pei Xi observes that his cousin must be up to no good what with the way he’s poking at him.  Summer responds that he just has something to discuss with him.  Pei Xi invites him to speak, and Summer tells him he wants to give himself a vacation.  Pei Xi asks, “So?” and Summer responds, “So, isn’t this the break in between the competition seasons right now?  You’re not doing anything and have a lot of time on your hands, so I’ve decided to turn Dream Journey over to you.”  Pei Xi asks if he’s been diagnosed with an incurable disease or something [and were that actually the case, I love how Pei Xi’s asking this question more out of annoyance/confusion than concern, haha], and Summer asks if he can’t have some hope for him just a little.  He then embarks on a giant complaint by saying he doesn’t understand how a person with his qualities can still be single, and says he doesn’t believe in his fate so he wants to go traveling abroad and see if he can’t have a a beautiful chance meeting with someone.  Pei Xi wrinkles his nose and asks, “It’s because of this?”  Stunned that this cousin doesn’t understand how he feels, Summer repeats the question in disbelief and asks if he can’t understand how others feel.  [To be more accurate, he asks if Pei Xi is, “Baohan bu zhi ehan ji,” which is an idiom for: The well-fed don’t know how the starving suffer.]  He then points out how Pei Xi is a world champion, so every day there are young women chasing after him, and asks, “But what about me?”  As Pei Xi just continues to stare at him, Summer tries to conclude their conversation by decreeing that there’s no room for discussion in this matter because it’s already been decided, but Pei Xi just leans in and says, “Ge, I have a feeling that by the time you return home, you’ll still be single.”  Summer then rushes to cover his mouth, telling him to shut up and calling him an “wuyazui” [who is someone who has made an inauspicious remark] and asking again if he can’t have some hope for him.  He then starts hitting Pei Xi telling him that he’s fortunate to have an older cousin like him while he’s just a rascal, and their scene ends with the cousins poking at each other.  [Too cute!]

“Lin Yi Xuan X Lu Yi Yi”

Yi Xuan and Yi Yi are at a restaurant when he slaps down an envelope on the table and slides it over to Yi Yi’s side.  She asks him what it is and comments that he’s acting very sneakily.  Yi Xuan tells her to open it and have a look, and so Yi Yi opens the envelope and pulls out a bank card.  She starts to ask him what it is and Yi Xuan tells her that it contains the prize money that he most recently won [from the world championships] as well as the money that he previously saved, not a penny less, and that he’s giving it to her.  Yi Yi smiles, obviously happy to hear him say this, but coughs and puts a straight face back on to tell him that she has a salary so she doesn’t want it, and returns the bank card to him.  Yi Xuan tells her that she can’t do that though and says his mom’s said, he’s responsible for earning money and raising a family while she’s to be responsible for being beautiful [“maomeiruhua” is an idiom for “lovely as a flower”].  He then shoves the bank card back over to Yi Yi’s side, but she reacts in surprise to hear that he’s already spoken with his mom about them.  She then complains that she hasn’t even promised to marry him and Yi Xuan responds by asking if she’s planning on running away from him after kissing him.  She’s obviously planning no such thing, given the way there’s a smile that dances at the corner fo her lips, but Yi Yi wouldn’t be Yi Yi if she made things easy for Yi Xuan and wasn’t contrary just for the sake of being contrary, so she tells him, “That’s right.  I do want to run away.  What can you do to me about that?”  Yi Xuan looks away and says, “That’s fine.  You’re fine,” and then he grabs the card and says he’s not giving it to her anymore.  Her plan obviously having backfired on her, Yi Yi tells him he can’t do that and says he already gave it to her so he can’t go back on his word.  She holds out her hand demanding that he return it to her, but Yi Xuan digs in and replies that she hasn’t even agreed to marry him so why should he give her the money that he worked so hard to earn.  Yi Yi, in turn, responds by asking why she should agree to marry him if he won’t give her the card.  Yi Xuan tells her to let go of his hand and then stands while asking whether she’s going to agree to marry him.  Yi Yi also stands and comments that he’s grown in skills such that he now dares to point at her, and then they start a battle where he tells her to let go and she refuses.  He again asks whether she’s going to agree to marry him and she tells him that he should give her the card first and then they’ll talk about it.  Yi Xuan tells her that she has to agree first and then he’ll give her the card, and Yi Yi answers, “I don’t care.  In the future, in this family, what I say goes.”  Yi Xuan starts to protest by saying, “What you say?” but he’s too late as Yi Yi has already grabbed the bank card back by using her teeth. 

“Miya”

Miya is in her hospital room and packing her suitcase when Tony enters.  She comments that he’s arrived and Tony takes note of her actions and asks if she’s being discharged from the hospital.  She makes a noise of assent saying that she’s all better now anyway, and then adds that she also wants to start afresh.  She tells him that a recording studio contacted her and she’s already promised to produce an original solo album through them, reminding him that she’s an independent artist now.  Tony, in turn, asks what company this is and whether it’s reliable.  Miya responds by telling Tony that he’s already worried enough on her behalf and points out that in the future, she’s going to have walk the path by herself anyway.  Tony replies that perhaps it’s just as well things have turned out like this as she’s always wanted to produce her own original music anyway.  Miya then tells him that she’s planning on taking her guitar and traveling on one side while writing music on the other.  And Tony, in turn, asks whether she’s really let go of her romantic attachments.  Miya nods with a smile and says that on the day of the world championship finals, the three of them made their best choices.  Tony smiles in relief to hear her say that and Miya adds that it’s all over, and that she hopes “they” will be happy.  She also tells him, “I also really thank you, Tony,” and he says, “Okay.”  He then takes a seat across from her and says that their old Miya has finally returned.  Miya smiles.

“Sun Ze Yi XShu Wen”

Shu Wen pours two glasses of wine while Sun Ze Yi watches like he doesn’t know what to make of her actions.  When she finishes, she takes a glass and holds it up to him while he picks up his own glass and asks what special day today is that she prepared so many dishes.  Shu Wen takes a sip of her wine and then says there’s something she wants to talk to him about.  Leaning forward against the table, she pulls her hukou [household register] from the back of her skirt and throws it onto the table.  She then says, “Marry me.”  [It is worth noting, however, that in Chinese the terminology for “marry” differs between a male and a female.  Specifically, “qu” is used in the context of a male and has the more literal meaning of “taking a wife,” so this could also be translated as, “Take me for a wife, why don’t you,” whereas “jia” is used in the context of a female and has the more literal meaning of a being married off to a man.]  She then continues, “If you’re okay with it, we’ll do it tomorrow.  If not, then just forget about it.”  [I love how cool Shu Wen is!]  Sun Ze Yi turns his head abruptly back towards her and furrows his brows before taking a sip of his own wine.  Shu Wen interprets this to mean, “Are you not willing?!”  But of course that would never be the case.  Sun Ze Yi puts his wine glass back down and then leaps up to fireman carry her over to the couch.  She yelps in surprise, asking him what he’s doing and telling him to put her down, but she’s the one who started this!  As she laughs and tells him to let her go, he yells out, “I’m going to marry ou!” [Or “I’m going to take you for my wife!” if you want to be more literal.] 

“Xia Ling”

Xia Ling’s mother adds more food to an already decked out dining room table while in the kitchen, Qiu Ying’s father cooks.  Xia Ling enters and starts to pick at one of the dishes, but his mother slaps at him saying that he’s stealing food again.  She tells him that she’s purposely saving that dish for his sister since it’s her favorite dish and Xia Ling licks at his finger and then tells her that Qiu Ying and Ji Xiang Kong went out for a date, so they won’t be coming home to eat.  His mother reacts in surprise, clearly hearing this for the first time, and Dad walks over equally surprised to ask, “Date?  They won’t be coming home to eat?”  Xia Ling nods and says that’s right, and his stepfather notes how they made all this food and asks how they couldn’t have said something.  Mom just runs into the kitchen though and returns with a food thermos.  She tells her husband that she’s going to pack up some of the spareribs and he should go deliver it to the “two kids.”  He points out they’re out on a date though, and asks how he’s supposed to know where he should go to deliver the dish.  He then tells her to forget about it and returns to the kitchen.  Mom sighs in response, but then says still going to pack some up anyway because if she doesn’t, Xia Ling will eat it all later.  Xia Ling observes with amusement how his mother has been showing more and more favoritism torwards his sister, and she just responds with a smile before asking, “Hey, when are you going to bring Gu Jia Yi home?  I’ll make delicious foods for you then too.”  Xia Ling doesn’t quite know how to respond to that and then his phone rings.  When he checks the caller ID, he sees it’s Gu Jia Yi and quickly hides the screen from his mother.  He smiles and then takes his leave by answering his mother that they’ll see and adds that he’ll be back in a little bit to eat dinner.  After he leaves, she returns to packing up the spareribs and commetns, “Great.  Another one’s left.”  Her husband then joins her from the kitchen to ask where Xia Ling went, and she answers that he’s gone off to have a video call with Gu Jia Yi.  He asks who Gu Jia Yi is and she looks at him with a resigned expression on her face and basically remarks that he’s not being a hip and with it dad.  He stares cluelessly back for about a minute and then puts two and two together to react, “Ah?!”  She answers back, “Ah!”  and he says with a happy smile, “My goodness, life really is full of surprises.” 

“Ji Xiang Kong X Qiu Ying”

Sun Ze Yi and Pei Xi are sitting in the living room, while Shu Wen, Xia Ling, and Yi Xuan are standing facing the front entryway to the Phenix training base when they hear a noise in the distance.  Yi Xuan comments excitedly that they’re coming and calls for Pei Xi to join them.  As a result, both Pei Xi and Sun Ze Yi get up from their seats and they all form a line to welcome Xiang Kong who’s being led through the front entryway by Qiu Yin, who has also covered his eyes with her hand.  They struggle to walk straight since she’s so much shorter than him, and the others laugh. We then hear Xiang Kong ask if they’ve arrived yet and Qiu Ying answers that they’re almost there.  He tells her to hurry up and asks if he can look yet, but Qiu Ying waits until he’s standing right in front of his beloved blue bike before telling him to stop.  She then asks if he’s ready and he answers that he is, and tells her to hurry up and let him see.  Qiu Ying exchanges glances with the other and Shu Wen counts down with her fingers.  Qiu Ying then nods at the others and lifts her hand from Xiang Kong’s eyes.  When Xiang Kong opens his eyes, he reacts by taking a step backwards in surprise and looks at everybody in shock.  Shu Wen tells him that his cherished baby has returned home and when Xiang Kong can only stutter and stammer, “This?” Yi Xuan tosses him the keys to his bike.  He then points at them and starts to ask, “You guys?” and Qiu Ying explains that they purchased it back.  She reminds him that they’d always said, when they had the money, they would purchase it back.  Xiang Kong’s so happy he picks Qiu Ying up to twirl her around while saying, “Thank you!” . . . and then puts her back down to run over to his bike while saying, “My big baby!”  The others react in laughter while Qiu Ying runs over to ask what’s going on.  She asks if he doesn’t want her anymore now that he has his bike back, and Xiang Kong answers that he has to ride it as it’s been far too long since he’s seen his bike.  He then starts the engine and it’s like he’s having a moment when he hears the way it purrs beneath him.  Qiu Ying claps and asks if he’s happy and everyone else joins him in his excitement by clapping, whooping and hollering.  He then turns off the engine and tells them that he’s simply too happy, and asks how he should thank them.  Shu Wen answers that it depends on how he wants to handle it and Yi Xuan adds that it depends on his sincerity.  Xiang Kong then says, “How about this?  I’ll give everyone a week off.”  Qiu Ying, as his main supporter, immediately starts to clap in excitement and says, “Wow, so happy!” but everyone else is less enthusiastic.  Xia Ling even claps his hand and sarcastically replies, “That’s great, Captain, nice!  Woohoo!” while Shu Wen adds, “So generous!” although her tone suggests otherwise.  Xiang Kong then suggests that he’ll take them to eat seafood, and when that’s met with marginally more enthusiasm, he then suggests a buffet.  That’s met with more sarcasm, as Yi Xuan says they’re too happy, and finally Xiang Kong suggests that he’ll give them a month off.  Everyone starts screaming in genuine excitement at that announcement, although I can’t help but note that only Pei Xi looks unenthused, haha. 

After a round of high fives and one last glimpse at the world championship trophy, the scene segues into a dance party with all the players and Lu Yi Yi at the Legends training base.  And then the drama ends, this time for good, with Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong sitting on the back of his bike with his arm around her and sparklers going off around them.  He leans in and the drama CRUELLY cuts off before we get a kiss; sigh.

Link: https://m.weibo.cn/status/4391149609331178?

Thank you sooooo much for the recap and link.  It was great to watch again knowing exactly what was happening :lol: I love that we get to see the happy endings for all the characters.  As much as I love all the characters and wanted another OTP kiss (which we didn't get :angry:) the ending that makes me happiest is Lu Sheng and Tong Wu after the misery they endured at VNG.  As @themarchioness said "it is so nice to see him laughing, relaxed, and happy instead of his usual intimidated self when he was at VNG"  for Tong Wu

On 9/26/2019 at 5:24 AM, lynne22 said:

@themarchioness :joy::joy::joy: Thanks for the recap on the Special Episode 

What a great ending for everyone right????? It ended with a bright note giving us clear visions of their future.. together and happy... even if they will face more hardship later on.. 

Anyway.... few gifs from the special episode :wub:

Special Mention

Reveal hidden contents

007cyGSsly1g4p5s33skvj30jj0b1dl6.jpg

007cyGSsly1g4p5s38r30j30jg0b343o.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: I love the gifs!  I think XK might love his Big Blue Baby more than his girlfriend.  No wonder QY was offended!  

On 9/26/2019 at 9:19 AM, adla said:

I feel like this is the first chinese youth drama that I have watched where the male and female leads flirt so obviously. Its refreshing compared to the usual almost flirt but then hid their emotions until some super big incident. Also, I managed to download all the episodes and have binge watched the whole series almost 5 times in a row already. I can't stop and the minute i finish the last episode, I start re-watching from episode 1. I can't stop :)

Welcome to the thread @adla Great to have another person enjoying the drama!:grin:

20 hours ago, adla said:

I just realized after watching the whole drama for the fifth time, QY is the only person JXK almost always tells the truth to about his feelings and stuff. He can't seem to hide it from her, be it when he got no offers from other teams after leaving Legends or during their training time at phoenix. But the same can't be said for when he was with MY. If you check the flashbacks he even lied to her that her Taylor guitar was not as expensive as she though, even though he asked the owner if he could work for him and pay in installment (meaning it was still super expensive even though it was second hand). 

I kind of feel like JXK always treats MY like a delicate doll that needs to be taken very excessive care of and he needs to be super careful around her. But with QY he seems so comfortable, to the extent of always speaking his mind to her and flirting with her with so much ease. It goes to show that without realizing he always treated QY as an equal and his soulmate.

But this could all be me over analyzing as a result of Wang Yibo withdrawal from finishing Gank Your Heart and The Untamed.

I don't think you are over analyzing.  I think that's a great observation about how XK opens up to QY compared to Miya. There is definitely a very different dynamic between how XK treats them.

• Like 5

BTW does anyone know anything about JXK family background? From my understanding of what Miya said about their past, they were poor and JXK worked odd jobs to pay for everything she had back then. Does that mean they were orphans and had no family or that only Miya had no family so JXK always took care of her?

Edited by adla
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, adla said:

BTW does anyone know anything about JXK family background? From my understanding of what Miya said about their past, they were poor and JXK worked odd jobs to pay for everything she had back then. Does that mean they were orphans and had no family or that only Miya had no family so JXK always took care of her?

Nothing is ever explicitly stated in the drama, but it’s implied that XK, like Miya, is an orphan which is why they only had each other.  That’s not the case in the book, though. 

• Like 3

@adla I do like that XK treats QY as equal. I also want to note that he was few years younger when he was with Miya, in the range of 16 ~ 20 (just assuming idol debut age). At that age, lots of boys (and girls) have the mentality that he would protect her at all cost, because that's what a lot of media tell you, and what teenagers naively thinks means love. Then you grow up, and you realise there's lot bigger problems, and sometimes you simply can't "solve it all by yourself", so you are more likely to share the burden. Of course, the fact that he can actually be emotionally vulnerable with QY is definitely a plus in a book, since that's relatively rare, and definitely means he trusts her a lot, as well as treating her equal.

On Miya's family, I keep getting the impression they made them both (implied) orphans to emphasis on their bond, and also to make the blind arc work. Since if her family existed, there's really no reason that XK have to be responsible for her.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, raziela said:

I didn't know the motorcycles were added for WYB:o  I thought it was the other way around and maybe that's what interested WYB in the role in the first place lol!  I agree the way they wrote his more aloof character in the drama makes the gradual changes in his interactions with QY more noticeable and satisfying.  QY confesses first in the book and XK rejects her?  Once again, I think I definitely prefer the drama change.

I'm only on episode 5  into The King's Avatar but I think I've seen three so far: there was a girl gamer on the losing team in the very first game, then Yer Qiu's team mate and I am guessing Chen Guo's friend is on her way to being a team member (sorry I don't know most of the character names yet :sweatingbullets:).  I guess I won't hold my breath to see more  female players in the drama.

I don't have any concrete evidence since I didn't look for it. There's not many reasons for scriptwriters to write in motorcycles though, it's far easier to shoot car scenes, and you can have conversations in cars too! 

As for XK & QY's relationship, QY is more emotionally vulnerable in the book, he saved her from sexual assault, he's flirty and good looking, so she fell for him really fast. (ok timeline wise, it's about the same, but the book is shorter so) I think at the time, he does like her (definitely good feels, under regular circumstances could try go on date), but he doesn't like her enough to let go of Miya yet (he hasn't realised Miya is like family to him yet), or he just left Legends and transferring to VPG is not conrete, and QY got hated on due to him etc, I don't think it ever explicit tell you why. With the rejection, he had mentioned previously while joking around that he would reject anyone that seriously liked him. She blurted out playful flirting and hugging "let's be together, nothing serious though." He told her not to joke around, "you'll regret what you said when you find someone you truly like."  The book is definitely lot more dramatic, and I'm still unsure whether I like that plot development, but it does fit the character trajectory in the books.

Haaaa yeah you are right, there's unnamed female extras on the pro teams. I was going through the important named characters. I'm glad they got female extras, good job casting director.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Is there an English version of the book somewhere online? I really want to read it!

• Like 1

Catching up on replies from the past week . . .

@lynne22 It was so good to see your long posts again with your pics and gifs.  I pretty much agreed with everything you wrote on 9/22, especially the part about the Phenix team coming together and transforming from individuals into teammates.  I know it's kind of cheesy, but I like cheese, so one of my favorite parts is when they make their entrance onto the stage for the final match.  I like how each one of them shares briefly their personal story and the fact that no matter what the outcome is, they already feel like they've fulfilled their dreams.  That's huge.  Success means a lot of different things to different people and I love that they were able to recognize that what they were able to achieve already in such a short amount of time was really impressive and something to be proud of.  That they did ultimately end up winning is just the cherry on top!  

On 9/22/2019 at 8:05 AM, lynne22 said:

XK in the the novel has straightforwardly says that he has move on from Miya... he wishes Miya happiness.. but he never wavers....

And to be fair to drama XK, he never wavers either.  He just didn't want to share the burden of what he believed to be his sole responsibility to bear.  But even with that said, I also believe that if Miya really had stayed blind, he would've accepted that he needed to communicate with QY at that point because there's just no way he would give her up.  They're all such good people they'd find a way to work; QY would absolutely help XK.  And Miya, well, she'd have to learn as well, XK can be there for her, but he can't be with her - and I think she would at some point accept that.  After all, she was not unreasonable the first time; once she heard the words from XK, she really did let go.  It was just the injury and the resulting blindness gave her reason to try and hold onto him again.  *shrugs*  As I've stated before, Miya is a very forgivable character in my book.  The fact that she never really tried to harm either of them is huge and already makes her 10 times better than other drama second female lead characters.  :P  (I know it could be argued that she did try and harm them once when she tried to get QY to step aside, but in fairness to her, I think she really did believe XK was still in love with her and was just feeling conflicted, so she thought he was helping him.  And it's interesting, but sometimes I watch these dramas and their characters and think DELUSIONAL!  But I never felt that way about Miya.  I think she was sincere, just misguided in her impressions and beliefs.)

On 9/22/2019 at 8:56 AM, skibbies said:

Anyways, our favourites' game IDs: XK: Void, Gu Fang: Cris, Pei Xi: Summit, Lin Yixuan: Xuan, Sun Zeyi: zy, Xia Ling: Cloud

Don't forget Cherry for QY!  ;)  As for Void, so I have a funny confession to make, for the longest time every time Alan referred to him (like in the last episode where he comments on "Cherry' and "Void" hugging it out on stage), I kept hearing Boyd, and I kept wondering, "WHY BOYD?  That can't be right..."  And then one day it occurred to me: Kong 空 = VOID and it was if the lights went on and everything made sense again.  I just don't know why it took me so long to connect the dots on that one... LOL.

@raziela I think VNG was doing okay before when they had Pei Xi. You are right she didn't have the smoothest exit though, so who knows if she has money. I was definitely surprised about the Pioneer team not being there, and agreed that they adapted it really well. 

Hehehe, I have been following this conversation of yours and @raziela with amusement, and my only contribution to the conversation is this: Do we know that they didn't contribute?  And even if they didn't, must they have contributed?  Difficult questions to answer, I think, but I would observe that the Pioneer gave them a place to train - for free - and that's huge.  Property isn't cheap!  And we also know that from QY's observations when she was trying to find a place for them.  Also, the Phenix team clearly got money from somewhere to renovate the training base (I'll repeat, as I know I've said it before: they added a whole kitchen!) and equip the place with computers and other furniture.  Apart from those two observations, I think we should just leave everything else to how we would like our imaginations to answer those questions. ;) 

The drama is less romance centric, which I actually prefer. It's not that we don't get enough romance (although it wouldn't hurt to have more otp scenes), it's just they filled it out with friendship and family, and I like that, since those are pretty darn important in life too.

Totally agree with this!  Also makes the story feel more well-rounded too.  

Re: Like vs love. It's very rare to hear "love" said out loud in cdramas, usually even when love is mentioned, it's describing it "my love of so and so" rather than "I love you". I actually can't summon any cdramas from top of my head that has "I love you", but to be fair, I don't watch a lot of contemporary cdramas. It's definitely a cultural thing, "love" is a very heavy word, you don't hear the phrase that often irl either.

Ahhh, yes, this, exactly.  Thank you for helping me to explain.  I wasn't really quite ready to commit to saying that "I love you" is just not spoken that often in Chinese culture, as it's not like I've ever lived there, but certainly from my own personal experience with the culture that's not been the case (that "love" is said often).  I do watch plenty of contemporary cdramas and it's usually "like" that's used.  "Love" may be used in that one key pivotal moment or something, but really, 10 to 1, it's going to be "like."  I think that's the problem with translations sometimes.  Words can have various meanings and - most importantly - weight behind them that are just lost in the translation, because those are the cultural elements that you kind of have to know in order to understand.  It's something I struggle to convey at times while recapping and sometimes even a source of frustration as I know what I want to say, but just can't find the words in English.  :P 

Re: 自嗨锅 (Zi Hai Guo), I think it's single serving actually. Just from the name, it's literally "having fun by yourself pot" XD

Yeah, I realized that after watching the YouTube vidoes introducing them.  The big pot is deceiving but now I know there's actually a tray within that holds the food, so it's not the entire big pot that's filled with food (as I'd originally thought).  But rather you're supposed to fill it with water to help boil the food in the tray.  

She transfers to Phoenix close half of the book, and Pei Xi transfers to the new FPS section too, so they are teammates

Thank you @skibbies for sharing the details re: PX's book.  Just to clarify though because originally when I read your post I'd understood it to mean that PX had left the Phenix team.  But now that I'm rereading your post, it sounds like he's still with the Phenix team, just playing with a different set of teammates who play a different type of computer game rather than MOBA (do they still call it iConquer in the book or something else)?  I know IRL one esport organization can house a lot of different teams who play different computer games and it sounds like that's the case here?

On 9/22/2019 at 9:55 AM, lynne22 said:

Diverging abit from GYH.... have you read this novel?

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/youre-beautiful-when-you-smile/

I really enjoy the first 120-130 chapter... the latter chapters feels a bit dry but it ended well. it talks about female gamer joining a professional team, and her struggles. This one is quite light hearted and fun..

The reason I'm recommending this one is because the gaming technique in this novel actually helps me understand GYH better lols. I notice you like gaming so..mayhaps you'll enjoy this novel. 

Thank you, @lynne22 for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out!  For me, I recently read Gu Man's "You're My Glory" (mostly translated, but not quite done) and that helped me to better understand the iConquer game played in GYH.  In fact, I wished I'd read it before starting my recaps.  LOL.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/youre-my-glory/

On 9/22/2019 at 10:11 PM, raziela said:

I didn't notice they were different motorcycles  until me mentioned his bike collection. 

Haha, I only realized it when XK was washing his Big Baby to get ready to sell it and QY suggested he could sell one of his others and XK said he already had.  That's when @lynne22 and I realized there had to be more than one bike but we couldn't remember the black one -- until another rewatch.  I mean, thank goodness I've watched this drama a bajillion times now.  It's like I learn something new each time.  And am now focusing on the randomest details by this point.  :lol:

On 9/23/2019 at 8:41 AM, owlstar said:

Just popping in to say that I started watching this drama for the romance (ok ok fine for Wang Yibo :P), but what's keeping me watching is the story and all the supporting characters!  I'm on ep .18 now and really curious to see how JXK will manage to pull off the eventual win I know he will.  Pei Xi also cracks me up with his weird one-sided bromance with JXK lol.  

I actually find the chemistry between the OTP a little underwhelming.  Maybe I'm biased knowing how savage WYB is with girls (for example, https://twitter.com/bonbonruru/status/1173350039789293569), but while I like their relationship in theory so far their scenes together have a slightly awkward feel (although they do have their moments).  At least I like their slow burn romance much better than Go Go Squid which I know a lot of people like but the whole love at first sight trope is so not for me.  

@owlstar Have you been able to finish the drama since last week or still working on it?  Like you, I like the slow burn relationship over love at first sight.  The relationship in GYH is one that feels quite realistic to me and I love how it progressed.  I actually liked the chemistry between the OTP just fine, but I know WYB can be awkward with the girls.  It has not escaped my notice that in most BTS vids for this drama he was mostly hanging out with the guys.  :P 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:19 AM, adla said:

Welcome to the madness @adla, you are in good company here!  I also still can't get over this drama and it's been how many months now??  QY and XK's flirting when they are JUST FRIENDS and NOT DATING is the absolute cutest.  So squee-worthy and so much bracket commenting/ranting-worthy.  LOL.

7 hours ago, adla said:

Is there an English version of the book somewhere online? I really want to read it!

I don't think so.  :( 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Have you been able to finish the drama since last week or still working on it?  Like you, I like the slow burn relationship over love at first sight.  The relationship in GYH is one that feels quite realistic to me and I love how it progressed.  I actually liked the chemistry between the OTP just fine, but I know WYB can be awkward with the girls.  It has not escaped my notice that in most BTS vids for this drama he was mostly hanging out with the guys.  :P 

I'm currently on ep 30, but have more time this week so hopefully can finish soon!  I didn't realize the episodes got longer during the 2nd half (why is that??).   So happy to see Phoenix/Phenix coming together!  I really love the rich variety of relationships in this drama.   Pei Xi is just getting more and more hilarious (I totally snorted when he double-masked himself during the training base clean up).   I did notice JXK & QY's chemistry getting a little better once they started non-dating lol.  Still hard for me to un-see WYB's real-life persona sometimes though. :P

Where did you find BTS vids (any worth watching)?  I really only saw this one on Youtube.

• LOL 1

11 minutes ago, owlstar said:

I didn't realize the episodes got longer during the 2nd half (why is that??).   So happy to see Phoenix/Phenix coming together!  I really love the rich variety of relationships in this drama. 

I think the better question is why weren't they all 45 minutes to begin with???  :P  Maybe we would've had more time then for the drama to show us everything we wanted to see.  I agree the many relationships - friendship, brotherhood, family, work, romance - is the best part of this drama.

14 minutes ago, owlstar said:

Where did you find BTS vids (any worth watching)? 

Well, given that Hunan TV wiped out all their videos yesterday, which includes their Mango TV channel, you're not going to find them on YouTube anymore (unless someone else uploaded it to their personal channel).  I'd look to the drama's Weibo page.  A lot of them were shared there and on YouTube initially.  (*weeps over  YouTube*)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Well, given that Hunan TV wiped out all their videos yesterday, which includes their Mango TV channel, you're not going to find them on YouTube anymore (unless someone else uploaded it to their personal channel).  I'd look to the drama's Weibo page.  A lot of them were shared there and on YouTube initially.  (*weeps over  YouTube*)

Waaaah I totally forgot Mango TV is part of Hunan!  Gosh I really really hope they bring back their YouTube content.  I've gotten so used to the easy access to C-ent ... and subs!  I'm still checking their YT page several times a day to see if the videos came back. :(

• Like 1

Have you ever wondered what happened to XK's white stuffed bunny?  The one he and QY won during the variety show?  I have, especially when we got to see QY having conversations with hers.  I missed her bunny after she and XK got together and was glad to see it makes it reappearance after Miya came back into their lives the second time around, but that was QY's white bunny and we never saw XK's again after he took it home that same day.  So... I decided to write a fic about it.  ;) 

Story #3 – The Case of the Missing Bunny

Spoiler

Story #3 – The Case of the Missing Bunny

When Ji Xiang Kong arrived home one afternoon and stopped by his room to drop off his bike helmet, he was stunned to find it looking like it had been ransacked.  He was even more surprised when instead of Lin Yi Xuan, whom he had immediately assumed to be the culprit, Qiu Ying popped her head out from underneath the side of his bed.

“Oh, you’re back,” she greeted. 

“That’s not—This – You –“  Xiang Kong cocked his head in confusion.  “What are you doing?”  He finally asked, unable to mentally comprehend what was going on or understand how she could welcome him back so nonchalantly when his room looked like this.

Collecting herself from the floor, Qiu Ying stood up and wiped her dusty hands on the front of her pants before answering.  “I’m looking for something.”

Xiang Kong twisted his body and looked around.  “In here?”

“Mm.”

As she started to straighten the covers on his bed and put the things she’d moved back in their place, he asked with a disbelieving laugh, “What could you be looking for in my room?”

Not answering, Qiu Ying continued to clean up the mess she’d made while sneaking peaks around his room at the same time.  Xiang Kong couldn’t begin to guess what his girlfriend was up to, but he could tell she wasn’t going to say and he wasn’t the type to press.  He trusted her to have her reasons just as he knew she would share them once she was ready or wanting to.  Setting down his bike helmet on the corner of his desk, he shook his head and let her be.

Meanwhile, Qiu Ying watched Xiang Kong exit his room with her hands on her hips and wondered in a mutter, “He wouldn’t have thrown it away, would he?”

=//=

Several days passed and Xiang Kong hadn’t given much more thought to what had happened in his room the other day.  When he’d gone to bed later that same day, he’d found it restored to its normal order and so he’d put it aside.  But now that he was sitting at the kitchen counter with his teammates crowded around, he couldn’t help but be reminded of Qiu Ying creeping and crawling around his room when Yi Xuan used his chin to point at the living room behind them and ask in an audible whisper, “What is she doing?”

Xiang Kong swirled around in his seat and watched Qiu Ying circle the perimeter of their living room, her body half bent as she rummaged through and peered in various storage boxes.  “I don’t know,” he answered, while Sun Ze Yi recalled that he’d noticed her doing something similar the day before.

“She was going through the cabinets in the training room yesterday morning, but when I asked if she was looking for something and whether there was anything I could do to help, she just shook her head and wouldn’t answer.”

“Did she leave something behind when she moved out?” Pei Xi asked.

She might have, Xiang Kong thought to himself, but that wouldn’t explain why she was so unwilling to explain or why she’d been searching through his room the other day.  Particularly when, normally, she didn’t enter the team’s personal domains except for maybe when she was helping out with the housework.

Never one to be shy about avoiding confrontation, especially when it involved his sister, Xia Ling called out, “Jie, what are you looking for?”

Straightening right away thanks to her brother’s interference, Qiu Ying turned and found five pairs of eyes staring back at her.  She tittered awkwardly; it was difficult not to notice how the entire Phoenix team was watching her with interest and Xiang Kong at its center.  “It’s nothing,” she tried to laugh them off.  “You don’t have to concern yourselves with me.  You guys should just go back to whatever it was you were doing.” 

As she spoke, she held up her arms and made shooing motions to encourage them to turn back around.  They didn’t know how they were supposed to do that.  They were too curious as to what was going on the other side of the room.  But still, they turned away from her as she’d asked and formed a huddle.

“What do you think my Jie could be looking for?” Xia Ling asked.

“Confess,” Yi Xuan suddenly demanded of Xiang Kong and pointed a finger at him.  “Did you do something to our Qiu Ying again to give her reason to be suspicious of you?” 

Xiang Kong tsked and gave his friend the eye before swatting his finger away.  “Don’t be ridiculous.  If you don’t know what you’re talking about, then don’t say anything at all.”

“Then what else could it be?” Yi Xuan asked. 

The others shrugged their shoulders back at him.

=//=

Later that evening, Xiang Kong took Qiu Ying back to her parents’.  After he parked his bike, she asked if he wanted to take a walk through the small park in between the buildings of her parents’ apartment complex.  Since they hadn’t had any time to themselves at the training base, surrounded as they’d been by their friends, he readily agreed. 

As they walked towards the park, Qiu Ying swung their joined hands back and forth causing Xiang Kong to look down at them in amusement.  “Are you that happy?” he asked.

“Mm.  I’m happiest when I get to spend time with you.”

“Then what were you doing earlier today?  Instead of spending time with me, you were snooping around.” 

Qiu Ying stopped in her tracks and turned to him.  Very seriously, she said, “That wasn’t ‘snooping,’ I told you.  I’m looking for something.”

“You still haven’t found it?”

“No,” she answered.  And then she narrowed her eyes.  “And I’m starting to wonder why not.”

Xiang Kong wasn’t sure what he was supposed to make of that answer. 

“Do you remember that variety show you and I were once on together?”  Qiu Ying randomly changed the subject.

“Mm.  That was that show where you kept falling into the pit of balls,” he recalled with fondness and a chuckle.

“Tread lightly,” Qiu Ying warned.  “I seem to recall that the only reason I kept falling into that pit of balls was because someone wouldn’t answer the questions correctly.”

“What do you mean ‘wouldn’t’?  I answered the questions very seriously,” Xiang Kong insisted.  It was the stance he’d maintained ever since before they started dating.

Qiu Ying rolled her eyes and shook her head at him.  Continuing their walk, she asked again, “Do you remember how we beat Pei Xin and Qiao Xin in the second round?”

“I don’t know about ‘we,’ but yes, I remember how I beat them.”

Qiu Ying stopped in her tracks again.  “Are you going to be serious or not?”

Xiang Kong responded with wide-eyed innocence and exaggerated sincerity.  “I’m being very serious right now.  As I recall, you weren’t very helpful at the time.  I had to send you off to hide in order to avoid causing more trouble.”

Qiu Ying crossed her arms in a pout.  “Hmph.”

“What’s the matter?” Xiang Kong laughed, throwing an arm around her shoulder.  “Why are you asking all these questions?”

Still with her arms crossed, but allowing herself to be led, they continued walking.  “Oh, nothing.  I was just wondering.”

=//=

That night, before Qiu Ying turned off the lights, she plucked her stuffed bunny from its place next to her on the bed and placed it on her lap.  “Jiang Jiang,” she said, “I haven’t found your twin yet.  But I will!”

=//=

Several weeks later, Shu Wen and Sun Ze Yi were cleaning out his apartment above The King in order to prepare for her moving in when she walked out of his bedroom with a stuffed white rabbit in her hand.  “What’s this?” she asked, suspicion and wariness evident in her voice.  “This doesn’t look like your style.  Don’t tell me it’s from one of your ex-girlfriends.”

Sun Ze Yi was crouched in front of the refrigerator wondering what he should make for lunch when he heard her question.  Without even bothering to stop what he was doing because the question was so ridiculous, he answered with a laugh.  “What are you talking about?  What ex-girlfriend?  I’ve already told you, in my life, there has only ever been you.”

“You tell me,” she insisted, and so Sun Ze Yi was forced to stand and turn around to have a look.

When he saw the stuffed white bunny in Shu Wen’s hands, he laughed again.  This time more heartily.   “That’s Xiang Kong’s,” he told her.  “He left it behind here last time after he got kicked out of Legends.”

“Oh.”

The End

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I made it to the end!  A lot of thoughts swirling around my head but basically SO MUCH FEELS.  The special episode really should have been included in the show.  Every single one of those clips made me so happy! :D

On 9/22/2019 at 5:05 AM, lynne22 said:

Luo Tian's infatuation with QY, it is not something I'm a fan off for different reason. One of the theme that I love from GYH is mentor-ship... and personally I would prefer that Luo Tian shows concerns to Qiu Ying because he appreciate her hard work..[as we all can see on the drama] and likes her character not as a love interest.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:11 PM, raziela said:

He definitely appreciates her hard work, talent and and passion for commentating first before he falls for her.  Those are the things that allow him to open up and give her a chance after he had initially dismissed her.  LT is very serious about commentating so even if he has feelings for QY I don't think he would support her if he didn't believe in her ability.

I have mixed feelings about LT's love interest in QY.  While I liked seeing jealous JXK, and from what we know about LT's character, I see @raziela's point about how he wouldn't have mixed business with personal feelings.  But I feel like it weakens her transformation a bit because it leaves room for questioning whether or not she would have gotten to where she is today without his "extra" help, when he would go above and beyond for her because he had those romantic feelings.  Also agree with @themarchioness about how this messes up JXK and LT's relationship too, because honestly trying to poach your friend's girl, especially when they haven't really broken up yet, is kind of a shady move.  But at least he had the grace to step back when he saw his feelings weren't welcome and truly only wanted her to be happy.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, skibbies said:

The behind the scenes for it is hilarious XD Let me find it.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av56896579/?p=62 It starts 01:33. The link have all behind the scenes/mini documentary. There's some trailers, full version of OP/ED/insert song and I think the epilogues too.

Thanks for the BTS links!  I'm still going through them but so far P64 with all the nom-nom and P67 with the slo-mos of the boys are cracking me up! :lol:

On 9/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, raziela said:

Speaking of idols I thought the actress for Miya was great casting and styling as I think she definitely has a K-pop idol look.

I thought Miya was a really good cast too... and funny enough the actress really WAS a K-pop idol!  As second female leads go, she was a relatively benign one and wasn't actually evil, just mostly pitiful.  I think once enough time has passed, she should totally end up with Tony, especially since they're no longer working together.

@themarchioness Thank you for sharing your fanfics!  I always go through a bit of withdrawal after finishing a drama and they help fill the void, especially well-written ones such as yours.  I'm fairly certain that nobody knows these characters inside and out like you. :)

• Like 3

@owlstar You made it to the end!  So exciting, and yes!  All the feels!!  

It sounds like another vote for 'meh' on the Luo Tian bit and while you know I'm in agreement with you there, I do have to disagree that the addition of that storyline weakens QY's transformation in any way.  I don't think Luo Tian ever went out of his way to help her because he had romantic feelings towards her.  But, rather, her hard working nature caused him to have romantic feelings.  I think it's confusing because his boss does observe at one point that Luo Tian is behaving out of character where QY is concerned and that leaves open the door for the interpretation that it's because he had romantic feelings (that he was apparently unaware of at the time) that he went to the bat for her.  But everything that had taken place prior to that point was based on QY's efforts.  He only helped her with the game replay videos because she wore him down about being her mentor.  He gave her a chance after she showed up late for the first day of her internship because XK intervened and he finally realized, she's not someone who's flaky.  Rather, she was the type to take his hits when he gave them and not give excuses because she knew he wouldn't want to hear them.  It's all those things combined with the hard work that he witnessed during her time at GDV that caused Luo Tian to change his stance towards QY and loosen up.  Yes, he apparently did also develop romantic feelings towards her, but he never would if she hadn't been a hard worker in the first place.  In that regard, I agree with @raziela that he would not have gone out of his way to help her just because he had feelings.  It may be perceived that way by others?  That's the sort of thing that can't be helped, I suppose, as there are always judge-y people in the workplace.  But on the other hand, I do think QY has  demonstrated herself to be a hard worker (like when the other interns exclaimed over the notebook she kept) and the fact that even they seemed to support a relationship between her and Luo Tian suggests that they didn't think either that she was just resting on his laurels to reach the top.  

In any event, the more I scribble down my thoughts regarding this matter, the more I am convinced it was just an infatuation on Luo Tian's part.  Imagine he's like the kid in school who's never had feelings for the opposite sex because he's been too focused on his schoolwork (work, in his case) and then someone comes along and makes a suggestion and so he latches on to that.  I'm reminded of my own first crushes when I think of Luo Tian.  Looking back, I'm not sure I would have had some of those crushes if other people hadn't put the notion in my head in the first place.  Kind of feels the same way with Luo Tian, doesn't it?  If only his boss hadn't said something!  ;) Anyway, that makes me more hopeful that eventually all the awkwardness will go away and things will go back to normal, particularly between XK and Luo Tian.

Re: Miya/actress.  Wow, who knew!  She really was a Kpop idol.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It's something she has in common with WYB, particularly as I noticed how her (short-lived) group was half and half made up of Korean and Chinese members, similar to Uniq. 

As for your suggestion that Miya should end up with Tony, the only problem with that is that he wears what appears to be a wedding ring -- yes, I did look specifically for that.  :P 

5 hours ago, owlstar said:

@themarchioness I'm fairly certain that nobody knows these characters inside and out like you. :)

Aw, thank you!!  That's about the highest praise a fanfic author could receive.  I'm just glad you enjoy it.  I do picture them in my head when I'm spinning my tales and sometimes wish I could just grab a video recorder to share what's inside of my head instead.  Hope to share a few more stories and of course the recap for the last episode.  It's on its way... at some point!

• Like 4