[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Gank Your Heart 陪你到世界之巅

Lynne

Have you ever wondered what happened to XK's white stuffed bunny?  The one he and QY won during the variety show?  I have, especially when we got to see QY having conversations with hers.  I missed her bunny after she and XK got together and was glad to see it makes it reappearance after Miya came back into their lives the second time around, but that was QY's white bunny and we never saw XK's again after he took it home that same day.  So... I decided to write a fic about it.  ;) 

Story #3 – The Case of the Missing Bunny

Spoiler

When Ji Xiang Kong arrived home one afternoon and stopped by his room to drop off his bike helmet, he was stunned to find it looking like it had been ransacked.  He was even more surprised when instead of Lin Yi Xuan, whom he had immediately assumed to be the culprit, Qiu Ying popped her head out from underneath the side of his bed.

“Oh, you’re back,” she greeted. 

“That’s not—This – You –“  Xiang Kong cocked his head in confusion.  “What are you doing?”  He finally asked, unable to mentally comprehend what was going on or understand how she could welcome him back so nonchalantly when his room looked like this.

Collecting herself from the floor, Qiu Ying stood up and wiped her dusty hands on the front of her pants before answering.  “I’m looking for something.”

Xiang Kong twisted his body and looked around.  “In here?”

“Mm.”

As she started to straighten the covers on his bed and put the things she’d moved back in their place, he asked with a disbelieving laugh, “What could you be looking for in my room?”

Not answering, Qiu Ying continued to clean up the mess she’d made while sneaking peaks around his room at the same time.  Xiang Kong couldn’t begin to guess what his girlfriend was up to, but he could tell she wasn’t going to say and he wasn’t the type to press.  He trusted her to have her reasons just as he knew she would share them once she was ready or wanting to.  Setting down his bike helmet on the corner of his desk, he shook his head and let her be.

Meanwhile, Qiu Ying watched Xiang Kong exit his room with her hands on her hips and wondered in a mutter, “He wouldn’t have thrown it away, would he?”

=//=

Several days passed and Xiang Kong hadn’t given much more thought to what had happened in his room the other day.  When he’d gone to bed later that same day, he’d found it restored to its normal order and so he’d put it aside.  But now that he was sitting at the kitchen counter with his teammates crowded around, he couldn’t help but be reminded of Qiu Ying creeping and crawling around his room when Yi Xuan used his chin to point at the living room behind them and ask in an audible whisper, “What is she doing?”

Xiang Kong swirled around in his seat and watched Qiu Ying circle the perimeter of their living room, her body half bent as she rummaged through and peered in various storage boxes.  “I don’t know,” he answered, while Sun Ze Yi recalled that he’d noticed her doing something similar the day before.

“She was going through the cabinets in the training room yesterday morning, but when I asked if she was looking for something and whether there was anything I could do to help, she just shook her head and wouldn’t answer.”

“Did she leave something behind when she moved out?” Pei Xi asked.

She might have, Xiang Kong thought to himself, but that wouldn’t explain why she was so unwilling to explain or why she’d been searching through his room the other day.  Particularly when, normally, she didn’t enter the team’s personal domains except for maybe when she was helping out with the housework.

Never one to be shy about avoiding confrontation, especially when it involved his sister, Xia Ling called out, “Jie, what are you looking for?”

Straightening right away thanks to her brother’s interference, Qiu Ying turned and found five pairs of eyes staring back at her.  She tittered awkwardly; it was difficult not to notice how the entire Phoenix team was watching her with interest and Xiang Kong at its center.  “It’s nothing,” she tried to laugh them off.  “You don’t have to concern yourselves with me.  You guys should just go back to whatever it was you were doing.” 

As she spoke, she held up her arms and made shooing motions to encourage them to turn back around.  They didn’t know how they were supposed to do that.  They were too curious as to what was going on the other side of the room.  But still, they turned away from her as she’d asked and formed a huddle.

“What do you think my Jie could be looking for?” Xia Ling asked.

“Confess,” Yi Xuan suddenly demanded of Xiang Kong and pointed a finger at him.  “Did you do something to our Qiu Ying again to give her reason to be suspicious of you?” 

Xiang Kong tsked and gave his friend the eye before swatting his finger away.  “Don’t be ridiculous.  If you don’t know what you’re talking about, then don’t say anything at all.”

“Then what else could it be?” Yi Xuan asked. 

The others shrugged their shoulders back at him.

=//=

Later that evening, Xiang Kong took Qiu Ying back to her parents’.  After he parked his bike, she asked if he wanted to take a walk through the small park in between the buildings of her parents’ apartment complex.  Since they hadn’t had any time to themselves at the training base, surrounded as they’d been by their friends, he readily agreed. 

As they walked towards the park, Qiu Ying swung their joined hands back and forth causing Xiang Kong to look down at them in amusement.  “Are you that happy?” he asked.

“Mm.  I’m happiest when I get to spend time with you.”

“Then what were you doing earlier today?  Instead of spending time with me, you were snooping around.” 

Qiu Ying stopped in her tracks and turned to him.  Very seriously, she said, “That wasn’t ‘snooping,’ I told you.  I’m looking for something.”

“You still haven’t found it?”

“No,” she answered.  And then she narrowed her eyes.  “And I’m starting to wonder why not.”

Xiang Kong wasn’t sure what he was supposed to make of that answer. 

“Do you remember that variety show you and I were once on together?”  Qiu Ying randomly changed the subject.

“Mm.  That was that show where you kept falling into the pit of balls,” he recalled with fondness and a chuckle.

“Tread lightly,” Qiu Ying warned.  “I seem to recall that the only reason I kept falling into that pit of balls was because someone wouldn’t answer the questions correctly.”

“What do you mean ‘wouldn’t’?  I answered the questions very seriously,” Xiang Kong insisted.  It was the stance he’d maintained ever since before they started dating.

Qiu Ying rolled her eyes and shook her head at him.  Continuing their walk, she asked again, “Do you remember how we beat Pei Xin and Qiao Xin in the second round?”

“I don’t know about ‘we,’ but yes, I remember how I beat them.”

Qiu Ying stopped in her tracks again.  “Are you going to be serious or not?”

Xiang Kong responded with wide-eyed innocence and exaggerated sincerity.  “I’m being very serious right now.  As I recall, you weren’t very helpful at the time.  I had to send you off to hide in order to avoid causing more trouble.”

Qiu Ying crossed her arms in a pout.  “Hmph.”

“What’s the matter?” Xiang Kong laughed, throwing an arm around her shoulder.  “Why are you asking all these questions?”

Still with her arms crossed, but allowing herself to be led, they continued walking.  “Oh, nothing.  I was just wondering.”

=//=

That night, before Qiu Ying turned off the lights, she plucked her stuffed bunny from its place next to her on the bed and placed it on her lap.  “Jiang Jiang,” she said, “I haven’t found your twin yet.  But I will!”

=//=

Several weeks later, Shu Wen and Sun Ze Yi were cleaning out his apartment above The King in order to prepare for her moving in when she walked out of his bedroom with a stuffed white rabbit in her hand.  “What’s this?” she asked, suspicion and wariness evident in her voice.  “This doesn’t look like your style.  Don’t tell me it’s from one of your ex-girlfriends.”

Sun Ze Yi was crouched in front of the refrigerator wondering what he should make for lunch when he heard her question.  Without even bothering to stop what he was doing because the question was so ridiculous, he answered with a laugh.  “What are you talking about?  What ex-girlfriend?  I’ve already told you, in my life, there has only ever been you.”

“You tell me,” she insisted, and so Sun Ze Yi was forced to stand and turn around to have a look.

When he saw the stuffed white bunny in Shu Wen’s hands, he laughed again.  This time more heartily.   “That’s Xiang Kong’s,” he told her.  “He left it behind here last time after he got kicked out of Legends.”

“Oh.”

The End

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made it to the end!  A lot of thoughts swirling around my head but basically SO MUCH FEELS.  The special episode really should have been included in the show.  Every single one of those clips made me so happy! :D

On 9/22/2019 at 5:05 AM, lynne22 said:

Luo Tian's infatuation with QY, it is not something I'm a fan off for different reason. One of the theme that I love from GYH is mentor-ship... and personally I would prefer that Luo Tian shows concerns to Qiu Ying because he appreciate her hard work..[as we all can see on the drama] and likes her character not as a love interest.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:11 PM, raziela said:

He definitely appreciates her hard work, talent and and passion for commentating first before he falls for her.  Those are the things that allow him to open up and give her a chance after he had initially dismissed her.  LT is very serious about commentating so even if he has feelings for QY I don't think he would support her if he didn't believe in her ability.

I have mixed feelings about LT's love interest in QY.  While I liked seeing jealous JXK, and from what we know about LT's character, I see @raziela's point about how he wouldn't have mixed business with personal feelings.  But I feel like it weakens her transformation a bit because it leaves room for questioning whether or not she would have gotten to where she is today without his "extra" help, when he would go above and beyond for her because he had those romantic feelings.  Also agree with @themarchioness about how this messes up JXK and LT's relationship too, because honestly trying to poach your friend's girl, especially when they haven't really broken up yet, is kind of a shady move.  But at least he had the grace to step back when he saw his feelings weren't welcome and truly only wanted her to be happy.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, skibbies said:

The behind the scenes for it is hilarious XD Let me find it.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av56896579/?p=62 It starts 01:33. The link have all behind the scenes/mini documentary. There's some trailers, full version of OP/ED/insert song and I think the epilogues too.

Thanks for the BTS links!  I'm still going through them but so far P64 with all the nom-nom and P67 with the slo-mos of the boys are cracking me up! :lol:

On 9/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, raziela said:

Speaking of idols I thought the actress for Miya was great casting and styling as I think she definitely has a K-pop idol look.

I thought Miya was a really good cast too... and funny enough the actress really WAS a K-pop idol!  As second female leads go, she was a relatively benign one and wasn't actually evil, just mostly pitiful.  I think once enough time has passed, she should totally end up with Tony, especially since they're no longer working together.

@themarchioness Thank you for sharing your fanfics!  I always go through a bit of withdrawal after finishing a drama and they help fill the void, especially well-written ones such as yours.  I'm fairly certain that nobody knows these characters inside and out like you. :)

@owlstar You made it to the end!  So exciting, and yes!  All the feels!!  

It sounds like another vote for 'meh' on the Luo Tian bit and while you know I'm in agreement with you there, I do have to disagree that the addition of that storyline weakens QY's transformation in any way.  I don't think Luo Tian ever went out of his way to help her because he had romantic feelings towards her.  But, rather, her hard working nature caused him to have romantic feelings.  I think it's confusing because his boss does observe at one point that Luo Tian is behaving out of character where QY is concerned and that leaves open the door for the interpretation that it's because he had romantic feelings (that he was apparently unaware of at the time) that he went to the bat for her.  But everything that had taken place prior to that point was based on QY's efforts.  He only helped her with the game replay videos because she wore him down about being her mentor.  He gave her a chance after she showed up late for the first day of her internship because XK intervened and he finally realized, she's not someone who's flaky.  Rather, she was the type to take his hits when he gave them and not give excuses because she knew he wouldn't want to hear them.  It's all those things combined with the hard work that he witnessed during her time at GDV that caused Luo Tian to change his stance towards QY and loosen up.  Yes, he apparently did also develop romantic feelings towards her, but he never would if she hadn't been a hard worker in the first place.  In that regard, I agree with @raziela that he would not have gone out of his way to help her just because he had feelings.  It may be perceived that way by others?  That's the sort of thing that can't be helped, I suppose, as there are always judge-y people in the workplace.  But on the other hand, I do think QY has  demonstrated herself to be a hard worker (like when the other interns exclaimed over the notebook she kept) and the fact that even they seemed to support a relationship between her and Luo Tian suggests that they didn't think either that she was just resting on his laurels to reach the top.  

In any event, the more I scribble down my thoughts regarding this matter, the more I am convinced it was just an infatuation on Luo Tian's part.  Imagine he's like the kid in school who's never had feelings for the opposite sex because he's been too focused on his schoolwork (work, in his case) and then someone comes along and makes a suggestion and so he latches on to that.  I'm reminded of my own first crushes when I think of Luo Tian.  Looking back, I'm not sure I would have had some of those crushes if other people hadn't put the notion in my head in the first place.  Kind of feels the same way with Luo Tian, doesn't it?  If only his boss hadn't said something!  ;) Anyway, that makes me more hopeful that eventually all the awkwardness will go away and things will go back to normal, particularly between XK and Luo Tian.

Re: Miya/actress.  Wow, who knew!  She really was a Kpop idol.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It's something she has in common with WYB, particularly as I noticed how her (short-lived) group was half and half made up of Korean and Chinese members, similar to Uniq. 

As for your suggestion that Miya should end up with Tony, the only problem with that is that he wears what appears to be a wedding ring -- yes, I did look specifically for that.  :P 

5 hours ago, owlstar said:

@themarchioness I'm fairly certain that nobody knows these characters inside and out like you. :)

Aw, thank you!!  That's about the highest praise a fanfic author could receive.  I'm just glad you enjoy it.  I do picture them in my head when I'm spinning my tales and sometimes wish I could just grab a video recorder to share what's inside of my head instead.  Hope to share a few more stories and of course the recap for the last episode.  It's on its way... at some point!

On 9/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, skibbies said:

I don't have any concrete evidence since I didn't look for it. There's not many reasons for scriptwriters to write in motorcycles though, it's far easier to shoot car scenes, and you can have conversations in cars too! 

I think it was a nice additional detail for the drama character to give him an interest and a life outside of e-sports especially as WYB is convincing as he looks so comfortable on a motorcycle. 

Good point about the advantage of cars for conversations :lol:  I'm happy we got Hello Lala cafe and walks by the river as a replacement.

As for XK & QY's relationship, QY is more emotionally vulnerable in the book, he saved her from sexual assault, he's flirty and good looking, so she fell for him really fast. (ok timeline wise, it's about the same, but the book is shorter so) I think at the time, he does like her (definitely good feels, under regular circumstances could try go on date), but he doesn't like her enough to let go of Miya yet (he hasn't realised yet Miya is like family to him yet), or he just left Legends and transferring to VPG is not conrete yet, and QY got hated on due to him etc, I don't think it ever explicit tell you why. With the rejection, he had mentioned previously while joking around that he would reject anyone that seriously liked him. She blurted out playful flirting and hugging "let's be together, nothing serious though." He told her not to joke around, "you'll regret what you said when you find someone you truly like."  The book is definitely lot more dramatic, and I'm still unsure whether I like that plot development, but it does fit the character trajectory in the books.

Thanks for explaining more.  Sounds like they have a very different dynamic to the drama and I think from what you have written I definitely prefer the drama.  That scene would have made me very embarrassed for QY:ph34r:  She sounds like so many of the typical lovestruck, needy female characters we see in C-dramas. 

Haaaa yeah you are right, there's unnamed female extras on the pro teams. I was going through the important named characters. I'm glad they got female extras, good job casting director.

I'm keeping  a close eye on this now in The King's Avatar!:lol:  I just noticed in the episode where all the teams try to take down Ye Xiu/Ye Qiu/Jun Mo Xiao there also appears to be an all-female team lead by the girl leader with two buns but they don't seem to be a relevant team in the drama.

@themarchionessThanks for taking the time to respond to the earlier posts.  I always mean to that and then a week goes by and I wonder if I should bother or not? :lol:

On 10/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, themarchioness said:

I think the better question is why weren't they all 45 minutes to begin with???  :P  Maybe we would've had more time then for the drama to show us everything we wanted to see.  I agree the many relationships - friendship, brotherhood, family, work, romance - is the best part of this drama.

This!  I feel like if they had just the episodes longer from the beginning they would have been ab;e to cover everything we loved and wanted more of in the drama and included the proper ending scenes.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:52 AM, themarchioness said:

Have you ever wondered what happened to XK's white stuffed bunny?  The one he and QY won during the variety show?  I have, especially when we got to see QY having conversations with hers.  I missed her bunny after she and XK got together and was glad to see it makes it reappearance after Miya came back into their lives the second time around, but that was QY's white bunny and we never saw XK's again after he took it home that same day.  So... I decided to write a fic about it.  ;) 

Yay!  Another great fanfic. So glad to see Jiang jiang reappear.  I liked her conversations with him (?) in the drama. I love how sassy and teasing XK is when they are talking about the variety show. Jealous Shu Wen!  Glad Sun Ge reassured her immediately.  XKe almost getting his senior in trouble lol!  Also Yi Xuan's clearly learned well from Yi Yi and is immediately suspicious XK did something to upset Qiu Ying.  Yi Yi would be proud of her boyfriend :lol: 

9 hours ago, owlstar said:

I thought Miya was a really good cast too... and funny enough the actress really WAS a K-pop idol!  As second female leads go, she was a relatively benign one and wasn't actually evil, just mostly pitiful.  I think once enough time has passed, she should totally end up with Tony, especially since they're no longer working together.

Wow! Definitely very good casting then.  You are the first person I have seen suggest she could end up with Tony.  I have to admit I just don't see it but I hope they can maintain their friendship because I think he is even more of family to her than XK. 

I didn't notice the wedding ring @themarchioness I swear you do not miss a single detail!

9 hours ago, owlstar said:

Thank you for sharing your fanfics!  I always go through a bit of withdrawal after finishing a drama and they help fill the void, especially well-written ones such as yours.  I'm fairly certain that nobody knows these characters inside and out like you. :)

Yes!  this is exactly how I feel and it's almost impossible to find fanfics for C-dramas so I really appreciate your writing @themarchioness and the fact that the stories are well-written and the characters are IN character.

13 minutes ago, raziela said:

I'm happy we got Hello Lala cafe and walks by the river as a replacement.

I don't know if I'll ever visit Hangzhou but I tell you what, if I ever do, I'm going to hunt down Hellolala Cafe.  It better still be in business and they better have strawberry milk tea on its menu. :lol:

16 minutes ago, raziela said:

@themarchionessThanks for taking the time to respond to the earlier posts.  I always mean to that and then a week goes by and I wonder if I should bother or not? 

Answer: Yes! 

(We can never discuss GYH enough. ;))

17 minutes ago, raziela said:

So glad to see Jiang jiang reappear.  I liked her conversations with him (?) in the drama.

Ha, I tend to think of Jiang Jiang as a male, too.  I also really liked QY's conversations with him in the drama because it gave us a window into her thoughts and feelings.  If only XK had done the same with his white stuffed bunny!  Then we would've known what he was thinking at all times, too!

20 minutes ago, raziela said:

Also Yi Xuan's clearly learned well from Yi Yi and is immediately suspicious XK did something to upset Qiu Ying.  Yi Yi would be proud of her boyfriend :lol: 

:joy:

20 minutes ago, raziela said:

I didn't notice the wedding ring @themarchioness I swear you do not miss a single detail!

LOL, that was actually a detail I noticed straightaway (versus from my million and one rewatches).  I agree with you that I tend to see Tony in a more protectorate/family role than a love interest.  I would love to see them working together again one day as I think they had a good thing going, but if that's not possible, then definitely I would like to see them maintain their friendship.

23 minutes ago, raziela said:

Yes!  this is exactly how I feel and it's almost impossible to find fanfics for C-dramas so I really appreciate your writing @themarchioness and the fact that the stories are well-written and the characters are IN character.

*blushes again*   Thanks, thanks, I'm just glad y'all give me the space to share!

8 hours ago, themarchioness said:

It sounds like another vote for 'meh' on the Luo Tian bit and while you know I'm in agreement with you there, I do have to disagree that the addition of that storyline weakens QY's transformation in any way.  I don't think Luo Tian ever went out of his way to help her because he had romantic feelings towards her.  But, rather, her hard working nature caused him to have romantic feelings.  I think it's confusing because his boss does observe at one point that Luo Tian is behaving out of character where QY is concerned and that leaves open the door for the interpretation that it's because he had romantic feelings (that he was apparently unaware of at the time) that he went to the bat for her.  But everything that had taken place prior to that point was based on QY's efforts.  He only helped her with the game replay videos because she wore him down about being her mentor.  He gave her a chance after she showed up late for the first day of her internship because XK intervened and he finally realized, she's not someone who's flaky.  Rather, she was the type to take his hits when he gave them and not give excuses because she knew he wouldn't want to hear them.  It's all those things combined with the hard work that he witnessed during her time at GDV that caused Luo Tian to change his stance towards QY and loosen up.  Yes, he apparently did also develop romantic feelings towards her, but he never would if she hadn't been a hard worker in the first place.  In that regard, I agree with @raziela that he would not have gone out of his way to help her just because he had feelings.  It may be perceived that way by others?  That's the sort of thing that can't be helped, I suppose, as there are always judge-y people in the workplace.  But on the other hand, I do think QY has  demonstrated herself to be a hard worker (like when the other interns exclaimed over the notebook she kept) and the fact that even they seemed to support a relationship between her and Luo Tian suggests that they didn't think either that she was just resting on his laurels to reach the top.  

In any event, the more I scribble down my thoughts regarding this matter, the more I am convinced it was just an infatuation on Luo Tian's part.  Imagine he's like the kid in school who's never had feelings for the opposite sex because he's been too focused on his schoolwork (work, in his case) and then someone comes along and makes a suggestion and so he latches on to that.  I'm reminded of my own first crushes when I think of Luo Tian.  Looking back, I'm not sure I would have had some of those crushes if other people hadn't put the notion in my head in the first place.  Kind of feels the same way with Luo Tian, doesn't it?  If only his boss hadn't said something!  ;) Anyway, that makes me more hopeful that eventually all the awkwardness will go away and things will go back to normal, particularly between XK and Luo Tian.

@themarchioness I agree with your stance on LT and his love interest in QY, although i think its more along the lines of puppy-love than just infatuation. I had a thought that perhaps it was their mentor-student relationship that actually led to this puppy-love.

My thought was that LT had begun to accept QY as his disciple and always supported her when people in GDV tried to target and harm her because he knew that she was very hard-working and had what it takes to become a very professional commentator, maybe even his successor (Just a thought :) ) . But he also constantly witnessed the pain and physical harm she went through as a result of her relationship with JXK. He watched as everyone tried to abuse her sincerity, kindness and hardworking nature. I think that frustrated him as a mentor that his disciple was going through all this and it grew into a kind of protectiveness over her. After all she is his very first disciple. I think from there it developed into a kind of puppy love when he probably felt that if he were JXK he would treat her much better and stuff like that.

Anyway this is just my opinion! 

I began re-watching GYH for the 7th time yesterday and am now paying attention to all the tiny details i missed from the previous 6 times ;)

7 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Yes, he apparently did also develop romantic feelings towards her, but he never would if she hadn't been a hard worker in the first place.  In that regard, I agree with @raziela that he would not have gone out of his way to help her just because he had feelings.  It may be perceived that way by others?  That's the sort of thing that can't be helped, I suppose, as there are always judge-y people in the workplace.  

In any event, the more I scribble down my thoughts regarding this matter, the more I am convinced it was just an infatuation on Luo Tian's part. 

I do agree that he only fell for her because of her hard working nature, and she definitely earned her place at GDV and in no way did he give her anything she didn't earn herself.  But it's after he started liking her and subsequently went to bat for her, is the part that I feel could mislead others to think she had inside help to get to the top (we know otherwise, but yeah, people are judge-y).   I guess I'm just thinking about how he was so instrumental in clearing her name about the leaked recording which allowed her to return to being a commentator.  But given his friendship with JXK (before the argument) and his own sense of righteousness, he probably would've been the one spearheading that anyway, romantic feelings or not.   I still like LT as a character a lot.  Maybe like you said it was just the power of suggestion from his boss and he mistook his respect for her work ethic and protectiveness over a protege to mean something more.  Who hasn't had a crush where we look back and wonder what in the world we were thinking?? :vicx:

7 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Re: Miya/actress.  Wow, who knew!  She really was a Kpop idol.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It's something she has in common with WYB, particularly as I noticed how her (short-lived) group was half and half made up of Korean and Chinese members, similar to Uniq. 

I didn't know these mixed Korean/Chinese groups were a thing!  But I guess that came to an end with the China Hallyu ban?  I'm a little surprised Uniq hasn't officially disbanded actually, but I'm glad WYB is doing well on his own.

Hope to share a few more stories and of course the recap for the last episode.  It's on its way... at some point!

Eagerly waiting!  But no pressure. :)

3 hours ago, raziela said:

You are the first person I have seen suggest she could end up with Tony.  I have to admit I just don't see it but I hope they can maintain their friendship because I think he is even more of family to her than XK. 

I didn't really see him as a love interest for her during the drama either, but I guess I liked that he was always looking out for her and seemed like a reasonable good guy, and probably the only one who really understood what she's been through in her years as an idol, so who knew if eventually it couldn't turn into something more.  But I guess that's a firm no on that department lol.  

15 hours ago, owlstar said:

But it's after he started liking her and subsequently went to bat for her, is the part that I feel could mislead others to think she had inside help to get to the top (we know otherwise, but yeah, people are judge-y).   I guess I'm just thinking about how he was so instrumental in clearing her name about the leaked recording which allowed her to return to being a commentator.  But given his friendship with JXK (before the argument) and his own sense of righteousness, he probably would've been the one spearheading that anyway, romantic feelings or not. 

To your second point, I definitely agree that Luo Tian would've helped QY clear her name regardless of whether he had romantic feelings - because, by that point, he knew the type of person that she was: an honest, hard working employee who climbed the ladder based on her own efforts and not others.  (Unlike other people we know... ;))  And, in fact, he'd already started doing that (sticking up for her, putting his own career on the line for her, etc.) before he was even aware of his feelings for her. 

That brings me back to your first point, which is that we actually do know that people had judged them and formed mistaken impressions about their relationship.  Remember, that's why the boss brought it up to Luo Tian in the first place, to point out that his behavior/reaction was causing their coworkers to whisper behind their backs.  (This is when those powers of suggestion began!)  I'd like to think, though, that by the time QY's name was cleared and she returned to GDV any misgivings her coworkers might have had about whether she deserved her position or not was wiped out through the clearing of her name (and everything else).  Like I mentioned yesterday, I think the fact that the coworkers were willing to support a relationship between QY and Luo Tian suggests that they no longer questioned her professional qualifications.  

I like Luo Tian a lot too.  I give him credit for trying to send QY to XK in between the rounds of the final championship match.  I just wish he didn't look so... down when QY and XK later hugged it out on stage.  As I always say, I just want the dude to be happy and to stay good friends with XK.  I'm sure he'll always have a positive and productive relationship - be it as friends or coworkers - with QY.  

15 hours ago, adla said:

I had a thought that perhaps it was their mentor-student relationship that actually led to this puppy-love.

@adla, I'm not sure we were saying anything different...?  :)   But I do like how you emphasized in your reply that Luo Tian had a front row seat in witnessing the pain that QY experienced each time Miya returned on scene.  I definitely recognize how that would cause Luo Tian to be upset with XK.

15 hours ago, owlstar said:

I didn't know these mixed Korean/Chinese groups were a thing!  But I guess that came to an end with the China Hallyu ban?  I'm a little surprised Uniq hasn't officially disbanded actually, but I'm glad WYB is doing well on his own.

Spoiler

I don't think it's uncommon (anymore, at least) to have some foreign members within a Kpop group - it helps promote marketability across the Asian countries.  But what's interesting about Uniq and the disbanded group that the actress playing Miya used to belong to is that the ratio is/was about half/half.  For example, in Uniq there are 3 Chinese members as opposed to 2 South Koreans.  I think that half/half ratio is still uncommon -- although, I'm hardly a Kpop expert so don't quote me on that!  :P  Uniq also has the added distinction of being produced by a Chinese entertainment agency; it's just their members trained in South Korea (with YG, in fact).

I feel bad for Uniq.  From everything I've since learned about them it sounds like their debut got off to a solid start but they were affected by the Hallyu ban shortly thereafter.  Poor timing.  :(  And definitely makes me wonder how things would've gone otherwise.  I'm glad for Yibo that he's been to expand in other areas and is doing well for himself.  All the members seem close and supportive of each other still though, so I'm glad they haven't disbanded and hopefully they'll have more opportunity to work together in the future and not just for company concerts and whatnot.  

On 10/2/2019 at 5:42 PM, owlstar said:

Also agree with @themarchioness about how this messes up JXK and LT's relationship too, because honestly trying to poach your friend's girl, especially when they haven't really broken up yet, is kind of a shady move.  But at least he had the grace to step back when he saw his feelings weren't welcome and truly only wanted her to be happy.

I think they will get past it eventually.  LT told some straight truths to XK that he needed to hear and I think it helps that nothing ever really happened between LT and QY - not even a confession.  QY was also perceptive and kept him friend/teacher-zoned. 

19 hours ago, adla said:

@themarchioness I agree with your stance on LT and his love interest in QY, although i think its more along the lines of puppy-love than just infatuation. I had a thought that perhaps it was their mentor-student relationship that actually led to this puppy-love.

My thought was that LT had begun to accept QY as his disciple and always supported her when people in GDV tried to target and harm her because he knew that she was very hard-working and had what it takes to become a very professional commentator, maybe even his successor (Just a thought :) ) . But he also constantly witnessed the pain and physical harm she went through as a result of her relationship with JXK. He watched as everyone tried to abuse her sincerity, kindness and hardworking nature. I think that frustrated him as a mentor that his disciple was going through all this and it grew into a kind of protectiveness over her. After all she is his very first disciple. I think from there it developed into a kind of puppy love when he probably felt that if he were JXK he would treat her much better and stuff like that.

Anyway this is just my opinion! 

I very much  agree with your description here of the development of Luo Tian's feelings.  Especially as he was by QY's side through all of this and witnessed firsthand the suffering QY was going through.  XK was away from her for a lot of the time and she put on a brave face around him so he didn't see what she went through the way LT did.  I think that definitely triggered LT's protectiveness and frustration that XK  was supposed to care for QY and, yet, XK was the one causing her so much pain.  Add to QY being a genuinely hard worker, attractive, considerate of him, sweet personality and they were spending so much time together he ended up developing feelings for her.

19 hours ago, owlstar said:

I guess I'm just thinking about how he was so instrumental in clearing her name about the leaked recording which allowed her to return to being a commentator. 

Even if he hadn't developed romantic feelings I think he still would have done the same thing. The accusations would also reflect on him as her mentor.  It was also the right thing to do as her mentor and senior, someone who knows QY's genuine nature and with his position as someone with standing in the industry.  I'm glad he did go to bat for her as it was a huge injustice and nobody else seemed to be fighting QY's corner even though she was innocent. 

3 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I'd like to think, though, that by the time QY's name was cleared and she returned to GDV any misgivings her coworkers might have had about whether she deserved her position or not was wiped out through the clearing of her name (and everything else).  Like I mentioned yesterday, I think the fact that the coworkers were willing to support a relationship between QY and Luo Tian suggests that they no longer questioned her professional qualifications.

I was surprised they were so positive!  I expected they would be a lot less complimentary considering she was dating a top player when she started out then a few weeks later she is being linked with her senior commentator.

4 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I like Luo Tian a lot too.  I give him credit for trying to send QY to XK in between the rounds of the final championship match.  I just wish he didn't look so... down when QY and XK later hugged it out on stage.  As I always say, I just want the dude to be happy and to stay good friends with XK.  I'm sure he'll always have a positive and productive relationship - be it as friends or coworkers - with QY.  

I think XK and LT will definitely make it up eventually and he will maintain his good relationship with QY as they both appreciate and respect each other.  As you all know I have a huge soft spot for Luo Tian so I hope he moves on from QY and meets a nice girl (lol! I sound like his Mum:lol:)   

Recaps for the last episode are slowly, but surely, coming along.  My goal is to finish it this weekend, but until then, I thought I'd leave you all with a treat first.  I remember how several of us wondered how a meeting between XK and QY's parents would go, now that they were together as a couple, and so this was actually the second fic that I started to write.  Except I kind of lost my direction at one point and so moved onto other ideas, bumping this one down to Story #4.  I think it finally came together for me this past week though, and hopefully you guys will like it too.  Let me know!  ;) 

Story #4 – Meet the Parents

Spoiler

When Yi Xuan arrived outside the door to Xiang Kong’s room, he found his friend fidgeting with the cuffs of his sleeves in front of the mirror and trying to smooth down the sides of his hair.  “I’ve never seen you look this nervous before,” he observed.  “Even when we played against the Titans you didn’t look this nervous.”

Xiang Kong adjusted the collar on his shirt and used the mirror to glance behind him to ask, “Why are you in my room again?”

Blatantly ignoring the irritation in his best friend’s voice, Yi Xuan walked over to drape himself across the foot of Pei Xi’s bed and replied rather cheekily, “I’m not in your room.  I’m in Pei Xi’s room.” 

“I thought I distinctly recalled someone once saying they would never step one foot onto the second floor.”

Yi Xuan shrugged.  With one hand propping up his head, he flicked his nails on the other and said, “I broke that promise long ago and it’s a good thing I did.  Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to come upstairs and tell you that Qiu Ying’s downstairs waiting for you.”

Xiang Kong swirled around immediately.  “Why didn’t you say so earlier?”  Quickly grabbing his jacket from the back of his chair, he swatted it at his friend in annoyance and hurried out of the room. 

=//=

After Xiang Kong pulled into a parking space outside the apartment building where Qiu Ying lived with her parents and the roar from his motorcycle died down, Qiu Ying climbed down from the back of his bike and with his help, removed her helmet.  Xiang Kong then removed his own and straightened his mussed hair in the side mirror before turning to ask, “How do I look?”

“Handsome!” was Qiu Ying’s completely biased answer.

“Really?”

“Why are you so nervous?” she asked, grabbing onto his arm with a laugh.  “It’s not like you haven’t met my parents before.”

Xiang Kong wasn’t sure if that was reassuring or not.  Tucking his hands in the pockets of his jacket, he told her, “This is the first time I’m meeting them as your official boyfriend.  It’s different.”

“You don’t have anything to worry about,” she promised and dragged him towards the building’s outer door.  “My parents are big fans of yours.”

“Really?” 

Xiang Kong couldn’t help but recall the first two times he’d met Qiu Ying’s stepmother.  The first time had been at the hospital after Xia Ling’s accident, and he hadn’t appreciated one bit the way she’d lashed out, literally and physically, at Qiu Ying the minute they arrived.  The second time was when he’d tried to intervene on Xia Ling’s behalf after she’d learned about him switching his major and joining the team, and hadn’t been pleased about that.  According to his memory, she hadn’t been too impressed with him in that moment.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Qiu Ying interrupted, “and I promise you, Xia Ling’s mother has really come around to things.  In fact, I think she now knows more about what’s going on in our world than my dad, and he’s always approved of you.”

“I hope you’re right,” was all Xiang Kong could say before allowing himself to be dragged along.

=//=

It wasn’t long before they were standing outside the front door of Qiu Ying’s family home.  As she dug around the bottom of her purse for her keys, the door suddenly swung open.  Xia Ling stood on the other side munching an apple that was almost down to its core.  “Captain!” he greeted.  “Oh no, wait, that’s not right.  Maybe I should be calling you Jie Fu* in this moment?” 

Qiu Ying swatted at her little brother and pushed past him to usher Xiang Kong through the front door.  She knew Xia Ling was behaving as he was on purpose, enjoying the sight of seeing his normally confident mentor and leader so anxious and rattled.  “Why are you eating an apple right now anyway?  Aren’t we going to be eating dinner soon?”

“I’m a growing boy, I’m hungry and I need food.  But mom slapped my hand when I tried to sneak a bite earlier.  She wouldn’t let me touch the food that she had laid out on the table even though there are piles of it.  She’s saving it for her new favorite child and her new son-in-law.  Have you heard of anything more unfair than that?” 

“What crazy things are you saying?” his mom asked as she joined them in the foyer.  “Go, go find your captain a pair of slippers,” she ordered and after sending Xia Ling away so he would stop being a nuisance to the others, turned to greet Xiang Kong with all smiles on her face.  “Come in, come in, don’t just stand there.  Come, be comfortable.”  Leading Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong to the living room, she asked if he wanted anything to drink.

“I’m fine.   Please, don’t go to any trouble.” 

Despite him saying so, Qiu Ying’s father walked out of the kitchen carrying a glass of juice and handed it to him.  The parents then sat together across from Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong, and then there was a moment of, “So . . .”

Xiang Kong belatedly recalled his manners and put his glass of juice down directly.  He then wiped his hands down the front of his pants before holding out his hand politely to each of Qiu Ying’s parents for a hand shake.  “Auntie, Uncle, hello.  I am Ji Xiang Kong.”

Xia Ling’s mother patted his hand warmly and comfortingly.  “We know.  You’re the captain of the Phoenix team, the winner of the world championships, our son’s fearless leader, and our daughter’s boyfriend.” 

Xiang Kong looked to Qiu Ying with a blush on his face, and she squeezed his arm in support while mouthing, “I told you so.”

To further cut the awkwardness, Qiu Ying’s father suggested that they head over to the dinner table to eat before all the food turned cold and called out for Xia Ling to join them.  What he hadn’t expected was that Xia Ling would yell back that he was in the middle of a game so they should start without him.  Turning to Xiang Kong, his father said, “As you can see we have no powers over that one.  Maybe you would fare better?”

Qiu Ying pointed Xiang Kong in the direction of Xia Ling’s room, and all he had to do was knock on the door, open it, and lean against the doorframe with his arms crossed and that special look on his face for Xia Ling to look over his shoulder and immediately say, “Coming.” 

=//=

With the parents sitting on either end of the table, Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong sat next to each other across from Xia Ling.  Xia Ling’s mother was seated to Xiang Kong’s right and the minute everyone was seated, she wasted no time in filling his rice bowl with an assortment of dishes and kept urging him to eat.  “Qiu Ying said you really like spare ribs.  Here you go.  You should eat more.”

“I like spare ribs too,” Xia Ling said.

“Then get some yourself,” his mother answered.

Xia Ling pulled a face. 

“Xiang Kong,” Qiu Ying’s father piped up from the other end of the table.  “I heard the team is on a vacation right now?”

“That’s right.  After the world championships, I gave everyone a month off as a reward.”

“A well-deserved rest,” Xia Ling’s mother approved.  “That last game at the world championships was especially exciting.  Qiu Ying’s father and I watched right there in the other room on the edge of our seats and we couldn’t look away the entire time.  I have to ask something though.  I’ve been curious.”

“Then why didn’t you just ask me?” Xia Ling nudged with his arm.

She looked over with a frown and a tsk, and told him to be quiet.  “Can’t you see your mother is trying to have a conversation here?  Stop interrupting and eat.” 

When his mother turned back to Xiang Kong, Xia Ling reached for a spare rib and tossed his head around while silently mimicking his mother moving her mouth.  Across from him, Qiu Ying couldn’t help but laugh at her younger brother’s antics and had to lift her bowl of rice to hide her smile behind it. 

“I’ve been curious,” Xia Ling’s mother repeated.  “During that last game, how did you think to use the – what was it called?  Fire stick?  Firework?”

“Dynamite stick.”

“That’s right.  Dynamite stick.  So explosive!  And so exciting to watch.  But listening to the commentators on the day of the game it sounded like that’s not normally a choice of weapon seen during competitions and the team’s actions caught everyone by surprise.”

Xiang Kong looked to his left at Qiu Ying, and she blushed immediately.  To cover her sudden shyness, she shoveled food into her mouth until her cheeks bloated and refused to return his look.  Xiang Kong chuckled at her reaction and turned back to Xia Ling’s mother to answer, “It was Qiu Ying who gave me the idea.”

“Qiu Ying?” her father asked.

“So embarrassing,” her brother groaned. 

“What’s so embarrassing about using dynamite sticks?” Qiu Ying put down her chopsticks to protest.  “Are you suggesting that just because I’m not a professional player that I can’t have any good ideas?  I’d like to remind you that just half a year ago you weren’t a professional player either.”

“Children,” her father tried to placate.  “Why are you are fighting?  Remember, we have a guest.”

“It’s okay, Uncle, I’m already used to them.”

“That’s not what’s so embarrassing,” Xia Ling responded, completely ignoring his father and his team captain.  “I was referring to you and Captain being so lovey-dovey over even a game tactic.” 

Caught off guard by his response, and feeling self-conscious, Qiu Ying reacted in a fluster by telling her little brother to stop talking crazy and eat.  She then purposefully ignored everyone else at the table by picking up her chopsticks to shovel more food into her mouth and kept her gaze fixated on the rice bowl in front of her. 

Xiang Kong had never seen Qiu Ying be such a diligent eater before and knowing the reason for that, he tapped Xia Ling under the table with his foot and told him to “quit it” with a quirk of his eyes.  Across the table, the parents exchanged glances of amusement and approval at the way Xiang Kong was handling their youngest while watching over their oldest.

After Xiang Kong finally finished explaining the reasoning behind his decision to have the team use dynamite sticks during that critical moment of the last game at the world championships, the conversation turned to discussing the iConquer game in general as well as the various Chinese professional teams who played it.  As a result, everyone gradually became more relaxed and the conversation started to flow more easily.  Xiang Kong made sure to bring up Qiu Ying’s contributions to the sport, noting how hard she’d worked to learn how the game was played as well as the ins and outs of all the various professional teams.  As for Xia Ling, Xiang Kong also made sure his parents knew what a naturally gifted player they had in him.  “I wouldn’t have been able to get through this past season without both of them by my side,” he told the parents.  They, in turn, beamed with pride.

Eventually, it was time for Xiang Kong to take his leave.  Xia Ling’s mother wouldn’t let him leave empty handed and insisted on packing food for him to take back to the training base.  She would’ve packed more, but Qiu Ying reminded her that there was only so much he could carry on a motorcycle, and so she said that was fine.  She’d just have Xia Ling bring him over some more dishes another time.  She told Xiang Kong to make sure he let her know what he liked so she could make it for him.  Qiu Ying’s father, meanwhile, invited him to visit whenever he had the time and Xiang Kong promised that he would.

After Qiu Ying told her parents she was going to walk Xiang Kong down to the outside door of their apartment building, they finally made their escape. 

As they waited for the elevator, Qiu Ying exhaled a huge sigh of relief.  Xiang Kong watched her with amusement and asked, “Shouldn’t I be the one to do that?”

“What are you talking about?  Didn’t you see how my dad and Xia Ling’s mom were practically tripping over each other to fawn over you?  I told you, you had nothing to worry about.  I, on the other hand, what was that Xia Ling trying to do?  Causing all that trouble with his teasing and insinuations.  I don’t know what’s gotten into him.  I think he’s been led astray by Lin Yi Xuan and the others.”

The elevator door sounded its arrival right at that moment, and as they stepped inside, Xiang Kong turned to punch the button for the lobby.  He then continued their conversation by patting her on the head and saying, “Don’t worry.  When our training resumes, I’ll exact revenge on your behalf.”

=//=

Later that night, after Xia Ling and Qiu Ying were tucked away in their bedrooms and the house was quiet, their mother finally finished putting everything away in the kitchen and hung the dish towel to dry.  She then turned off the lights to the kitchen, which cast the entire outer area of the apartment into darkness, and it was only then that she noticed a faint glow of light that seemed to be coming from the outside porch area.  Walking over, she slid open the glass door and was startled to find her husband sitting in the cover of the night with only the glow of his cell phone screen for company.

“What are you doing?” she asked.  “I thought you went to bed already.”

“I couldn’t sleep.  I’ve been sitting here instead thinking.”

“About what?” she asked, and took the seat next to him.

“Qiu Ying and Ji Xiang Kong.”

“I liked him,” she said after a while.  “What about you?  Even though he’s still young in age, he seems steady, reliable, and mature.  Most importantly, I can tell he really cares for our Qiu Ying.”

“En.  I felt that way too.”

“Then why do you sound so down?”

Her husband sighed.  How should he explain.  “Even though I like Xiang Kong and would be happy if things really did work out for the two of them, I can’t help but also feel like I only just got my daughter back and yet she’s already on the cusp of leaving the nest again.”

His wife patted his arm comfortingly.  “It’s the conflict of wanting to see your child grown and well-settled, but also not wanting them to grow up.  You don’t have to say anything, I understand.”

After sitting in companionable silence for a while, she suddenly sighed aloud.

“What’s the matter?”

“I just remembered something.”

“What?”

“Xia Ling’s bringing home Gu Jia Yi for dinner next weekend.”

Not knowing what to say to that, her husband said, “Next weekend, I’ll keep you company out here on the porch.”

She laughed, as it was truly the only response one could give, and resting her head on her husband’s arm said, “At least we’ll always have each other.”

“. . . .”

The End

*Jie fu = Brother-in-law (more specifically, an older sister’s husband).

On 10/3/2019 at 8:20 PM, raziela said:

I think they will get past it eventually.  LT told some straight truths to XK that he needed to hear and I think it helps that nothing ever really happened between LT and QY - not even a confession.  QY was also perceptive and kept him friend/teacher-zoned. 

It was pretty smart of QY to sidestep the would-be confession, and good thing LT was also perceptive enough to pick up on it so things definitely aren't as awkward as they could've been.  I do hope JXK and LT will eventually patch things up!  Also agree that LT needs to meet a nice girl... ASAP!  :)

Aww such a domestic scene, I love it.  Cute that JXK is nervous about "meeting" the parents lol.  Thanks for the reminder about how the first two meetings didn't go so well.  :rolleyes:

About Uniq - I know next to nothing about K-pop but the mixed groups are kind of an interesting concept.  Like do they have Chinese and Korean versions of the same songs?  Mixed Chinese-Korean songs?  I only know one of their songs - EOEO... and only the EOEO part.  :lol:  I'm hesitant to look up Uniq stuff because YIbo looks SO young... I feel weird ogling him hahaha.  :ph34r:

17 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Recaps for the last episode are slowly, but surely, coming along.  My goal is to finish it this weekend, but until then, I thought I'd leave you all with a treat first.  I remember how several of us wondered how a meeting between XK and QY's parents would go, now that they were together as a couple, and so this was actually the second fic that I started to write.  Except I kind of lost my direction at one point and so moved onto other ideas, bumping this one down to Story #4.  I think it finally came together for me this past week though, and hopefully you guys will like it too.  Let me know!  ;) 

Reveal hidden contents

When Yi Xuan arrived outside the door to Xiang Kong’s room, he found his friend fidgeting with the cuffs of his sleeves in front of the mirror and trying to smooth down the sides of his hair.  “I’ve never seen you look this nervous before,” he observed.  “Even when we played against the Titans you didn’t look this nervous.”

Xiang Kong adjusted the collar on his shirt and used the mirror to glance behind him to ask, “Why are you in my room again?”

Blatantly ignoring the irritation in his best friend’s voice, Yi Xuan walked over to drape himself across the foot of Pei Xi’s bed and replied rather cheekily, “I’m not in your room.  I’m in Pei Xi’s room.” 

“I thought I distinctly recalled someone once saying they would never step one foot onto the second floor.”

Yi Xuan shrugged.  With one hand propping up his head, he flicked his nails on the other and said, “I broke that promise long ago and it’s a good thing I did.  Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to come upstairs and tell you that Qiu Ying’s downstairs waiting for you.”

Xiang Kong swirled around immediately.  “Why didn’t you say so earlier?”  Quickly grabbing his jacket from the back of his chair, he swatted it at his friend in annoyance and hurried out of the room. 

=//=

After Xiang Kong pulled into a parking space outside the apartment building where Qiu Ying lived with her parents and the roar from his motorcycle died down, Qiu Ying climbed down from the back of his bike and with his help, removed her helmet.  Xiang Kong then removed his own and straightened his mussed hair in the side mirror before turning to ask, “How do I look?”

“Handsome!” was Qiu Ying’s completely biased answer.

“Really?”

“Why are you so nervous?” she asked, grabbing onto his arm with a laugh.  “It’s not like you haven’t met my parents before.”

Xiang Kong wasn’t sure if that was reassuring or not.  Tucking his hands in the pockets of his jacket, he told her, “This is the first time I’m meeting them as your official boyfriend.  It’s different.”

“You don’t have anything to worry about,” she promised and dragged him towards the building’s outer door.  “My parents are big fans of yours.”

“Really?” 

Xiang Kong couldn’t help but recall the first two times he’d met Qiu Ying’s stepmother.  The first time had been at the hospital after Xia Ling’s accident, and he hadn’t appreciated one bit the way she’d lashed out, literally and physically, at Qiu Ying the minute they arrived.  The second time was when he’d tried to intervene on Xia Ling’s behalf after she’d learned about him switching his major and joining the team, and hadn’t been pleased about that.  According to his memory, she hadn’t been too impressed with him in that moment.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Qiu Ying interrupted, “and I promise you, Xia Ling’s mother has really come around to things.  In fact, I think she now knows more about what’s going on in our world than my dad, and he’s always approved of you.”

“I hope you’re right,” was all Xiang Kong could say before allowing himself to be dragged along.

=//=

It wasn’t long before they were standing outside the front door of Qiu Ying’s family home.  As she dug around the bottom of her purse for her keys, the door suddenly swung open.  Xia Ling stood on the other side munching an apple that was almost down to its core.  “Captain!” he greeted.  “Oh no, wait, that’s not right.  Maybe I should be calling you Jie Fu* in this moment?” 

Qiu Ying swatted at her little brother and pushed past him to usher Xiang Kong through the front door.  She knew Xia Ling was behaving as he was on purpose, enjoying the sight of seeing his normally confident mentor and leader so anxious and rattled.  “Why are you eating an apple right now anyway?  Aren’t we going to be eating dinner soon?”

“I’m a growing boy, I’m hungry and I need food.  But mom slapped my hand when I tried to sneak a bite earlier.  She wouldn’t let me touch the food that she had laid out on the table even though there are piles of it.  She’s saving it for her new favorite child and her new son-in-law.  Have you heard of anything more unfair than that?” 

“What crazy things are you saying?” his mom asked as she joined them in the foyer.  “Go, go find your captain a pair of slippers,” she ordered and after sending Xia Ling away so he would stop being a nuisance to the others, turned to greet Xiang Kong with all smiles on her face.  “Come in, come in, don’t just stand there.  Come, be comfortable.”  Leading Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong to the living room, she asked if he wanted anything to drink.

“I’m fine.   Please, don’t go to any trouble.” 

Despite him saying so, Qiu Ying’s father walked out of the kitchen carrying a glass of juice and handed it to him.  The parents then sat together across from Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong, and then there was a moment of, “So . . .”

Xiang Kong belatedly recalled his manners and put his glass of juice down directly.  He then wiped his hands down the front of his pants before holding out his hand politely to each of Qiu Ying’s parents for a hand shake.  “Auntie, Uncle, hello.  I am Ji Xiang Kong.”

Xia Ling’s mother patted his hand warmly and comfortingly.  “We know.  You’re the captain of the Phoenix team, the winner of the world championships, our son’s fearless leader, and our daughter’s boyfriend.” 

Xiang Kong looked to Qiu Ying with a blush on his face, and she squeezed his arm in support while mouthing, “I told you so.”

To further cut the awkwardness, Qiu Ying’s father suggested that they head over to the dinner table to eat before all the food turned cold and called out for Xia Ling to join them.  What he hadn’t expected was that Xia Ling would yell back that he was in the middle of a game so they should start without him.  Turning to Xiang Kong, his father said, “As you can see we have no powers over that one.  Maybe you would fare better?”

Qiu Ying pointed Xiang Kong in the direction of Xia Ling’s room, and all he had to do was knock on the door, open it, and lean against the doorframe with his arms crossed and that special look on his face for Xia Ling to look over his shoulder and immediately say, “Coming.” 

=//=

With the parents sitting on either end of the table, Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong sat next to each other across from Xia Ling.  Xia Ling’s mother was seated to Xiang Kong’s right and the minute everyone was seated, she wasted no time in filling his rice bowl with an assortment of dishes and kept urging him to eat.  “Qiu Ying said you really like spare ribs.  Here you go.  You should eat more.”

“I like spare ribs too,” Xia Ling said.

“Then get some yourself,” his mother answered.

Xia Ling pulled a face. 

“Xiang Kong,” Qiu Ying’s father piped up from the other end of the table.  “I heard the team is on a vacation right now?”

“That’s right.  After the world championships, I gave everyone a month off as a reward.”

“A well-deserved rest,” Xia Ling’s mother approved.  “That last game at the world championships was especially exciting.  Qiu Ying’s father and I watched right there in the other room on the edge of our seats and we couldn’t look away the entire time.  I have to ask something though.  I’ve been curious.”

“Then why didn’t you just ask me?” Xia Ling nudged with his arm.

She looked over with a frown and a tsk, and told him to be quiet.  “Can’t you see your mother is trying to have a conversation here?  Stop interrupting and eat.” 

When his mother turned back to Xiang Kong, Xia Ling reached for a spare rib and tossed his head around while silently mimicking his mother moving her mouth.  Across from him, Qiu Ying couldn’t help but laugh at her younger brother’s antics and had to lift her bowl of rice to hide her smile behind it. 

“I’ve been curious,” Xia Ling’s mother repeated.  “During that last game, how did you think to use the – what was it called?  Fire stick?  Firework?”

“Dynamite stick.”

“That’s right.  Dynamite stick.  So explosive!  And so exciting to watch.  But listening to the commentators on the day of the game it sounded like that’s not normally a choice of weapon seen during competitions and the team’s actions caught everyone by surprise.”

Xiang Kong looked to his left at Qiu Ying, and she blushed immediately.  To cover her sudden shyness, she shoveled food into her mouth until her cheeks bloated and refused to return his look.  Xiang Kong chuckled at her reaction and turned back to Xia Ling’s mother to answer, “It was Qiu Ying who gave me the idea.”

“Qiu Ying?” her father asked.

“So embarrassing,” her brother groaned. 

“What’s so embarrassing about using dynamite sticks?” Qiu Ying put down her chopsticks to protest.  “Are you suggesting that just because I’m not a professional player that I can’t have any good ideas?  I’d like to remind you that just half a year ago you weren’t a professional player either.”

“Children,” her father tried to placate.  “Why are you are fighting?  Remember, we have a guest.”

“It’s okay, Uncle, I’m already used to them.”

“That’s not what’s so embarrassing,” Xia Ling responded, completely ignoring his father and his team captain.  “I was referring to you and Captain being so lovey-dovey over even a game tactic.” 

Caught off guard by his response, and feeling self-conscious, Qiu Ying reacted in a fluster by telling her little brother to stop talking crazy and eat.  She then purposefully ignored everyone else at the table by picking up her chopsticks to shovel more food into her mouth and kept her gaze fixated on the rice bowl in front of her. 

Xiang Kong had never seen Qiu Ying be such a diligent eater before and knowing the reason for that, he tapped Xia Ling under the table with his foot and told him to “quit it” with a quirk of his eyes.  Across the table, the parents exchanged glances of amusement and approval at the way Xiang Kong was handling their youngest while watching over their oldest.

After Xiang Kong finally finished explaining the reasoning behind his decision to have the team use dynamite sticks during that critical moment of the last game at the world championships, the conversation turned to discussing the iConquer game in general as well as the various Chinese professional teams who played it.  As a result, everyone gradually became more relaxed and the conversation started to flow more easily.  Xiang Kong made sure to bring up Qiu Ying’s contributions to the sport, noting how hard she’d worked to learn how the game was played as well as the ins and outs of all the various professional teams.  As for Xia Ling, Xiang Kong also made sure his parents knew what a naturally gifted player they had in him.  “I wouldn’t have been able to get through this past season without both of them by my side,” he told the parents.  They, in turn, beamed with pride.

Eventually, it was time for Xiang Kong to take his leave.  Xia Ling’s mother wouldn’t let him leave empty handed and insisted on packing food for him to take back to the training base.  She would’ve packed more, but Qiu Ying reminded her that there was only so much he could carry on a motorcycle, and so she said that was fine.  She’d just have Xia Ling bring him over some more dishes another time.  She told Xiang Kong to make sure he let her know what he liked so she could make it for him.  Qiu Ying’s father, meanwhile, invited him to visit whenever he had the time and Xiang Kong promised that he would.

After Qiu Ying told her parents she was going to walk Xiang Kong down to the outside door of their apartment building, they finally made their escape. 

As they waited for the elevator, Qiu Ying exhaled a huge sigh of relief.  Xiang Kong watched her with amusement and asked, “Shouldn’t I be the one to do that?”

“What are you talking about?  Didn’t you see how my dad and Xia Ling’s mom were practically tripping over each other to fawn over you?  I told you, you had nothing to worry about.  I, on the other hand, what was that Xia Ling trying to do?  Causing all that trouble with his teasing and insinuations.  I don’t know what’s gotten into him.  I think he’s been led astray by Lin Yi Xuan and the others.”

The elevator door sounded its arrival right at that moment, and as they stepped inside, Xiang Kong turned to punch the button for the lobby.  He then continued their conversation by patting her on the head and saying, “Don’t worry.  When our training resumes, I’ll exact revenge on your behalf.”

=//=

Later that night, after Xia Ling and Qiu Ying were tucked away in their bedrooms and the house was quiet, their mother finally finished putting everything away in the kitchen and hung the dish towel to dry.  She then turned off the lights to the kitchen, which cast the entire outer area of the apartment into darkness, and it was only then that she noticed a faint glow of light that seemed to be coming from the outside porch area.  Walking over, she slid open the glass door and was startled to find her husband sitting in the cover of the night with only the glow of his cell phone screen for company.

“What are you doing?” she asked.  “I thought you went to bed already.”

“I couldn’t sleep.  I’ve been sitting here instead thinking.”

“About what?” she asked, and took the seat next to him.

“Qiu Ying and Ji Xiang Kong.”

“I liked him,” she said after a while.  “What about you?  Even though he’s still young in age, he seems steady, reliable, and mature.  Most importantly, I can tell he really cares for our Qiu Ying.”

“En.  I felt that way too.”

“Then why do you sound so down?”

Her husband sighed.  How should he explain.  “Even though I like Xiang Kong and would be happy if things really did work out for the two of them, I can’t help but also feel like I only just got my daughter back and yet she’s already on the cusp of leaving the nest again.”

His wife patted his arm comfortingly.  “It’s the conflict of wanting to see your child grown and well-settled, but also not wanting them to grow up.  You don’t have to say anything, I understand.”

After sitting in companionable silence for a while, she suddenly sighed aloud.

“What’s the matter?”

“I just remembered something.”

“What?”

“Xia Ling’s bringing home Gu Jia Yi for dinner next weekend.”

Not knowing what to say to that, her husband said, “Next weekend, I’ll keep you company out here on the porch.”

She laughed, as it was truly the only response one could give, and resting her head on her husband’s arm said, “At least we’ll always have each other.”

“. . . .”

The End

*Jie fu = Brother-in-law (more specifically, an older sister’s husband).

Thank you for another fantastic story.  This is something I really wanted to see in the drama so your fanfic is the next best thing! :D

I love what a typical teasing little brother Xia Ling is but how just one look or nudge from Captain XK aka his future Jia Fu (thanks for explaining the meaning :lol:) pulls him back in line.  I think Xia Ling has competition as it looks like Xia Lin'g mother has a new favourite son(-in-law in the future)!  I noticed you snuck in a head pat too:lol:

I especially liked how you ended it with the bittersweet a but realistic moment between QY's father and stepmother too.

8 hours ago, owlstar said:

It was pretty smart of QY to sidestep the would-be confession, and good thing LT was also perceptive enough to pick up on it so things definitely aren't as awkward as they could've been.  I do hope JXK and LT will eventually patch things up!  Also agree that LT needs to meet a nice girl... ASAP!  :)

Yeah, they both luckily saved themselves future awkwardness. You know I was surprised on Harry Hu (Luo Tian)'s weibo page quite a lot of people seemed to ship LT and QY which I wasn't expecting!

Hopefully, now Luo Tian is more relaxed and doesn't live and breathe work he will meet someone :heart:

On 10/3/2019 at 11:20 PM, raziela said:

As you all know I have a huge soft spot for Luo Tian so I hope he moves on from QY and meets a nice girl (lol! I sound like his Mum:lol:)   

LOL, @raziela, I know what you mean.  I feel that way sometimes about these characters too.  I think what I love most is that even a side character in this drama has managed to generate so much conversation for so many days/weeks.  Just goes to show you how well drawn out all the characters are in this drama!

Hoping Luo Tian meets someone in the near future too.  If I had a good candidate or even an idea of the type of person who might be good for him (the obvious answer is: "Someone like QY!"  But I don't know, feels kind of creepy to say that so I don't want to go there), I would totes right a fic about it. :P 

On 10/10/2019 at 9:26 AM, owlstar said:

It was pretty smart of QY to sidestep the would-be confession, and good thing LT was also perceptive enough to pick up on it so things definitely aren't as awkward as they could've been. 

Totally!  Although there is a part of me that wonders whether QY proactively sidestepped the moment because she was able to figure out how Luo Tian felt about her or whether she was able to sidestep the moment because she was just that clueless.  Which, if that was the case, well, I can see why Luo Tian would be feeling pretty rueful about how it all played out.  What do you guys think?

Anyway, @raziela and @owlstar, glad you both liked the latest fic!  And of course I snuck in a head pat!  How could I resist?  ;) 

On 10/10/2019 at 9:26 AM, owlstar said:

About Uniq - I know next to nothing about K-pop but the mixed groups are kind of an interesting concept.  Like do they have Chinese and Korean versions of the same songs?  Mixed Chinese-Korean songs?  I only know one of their songs - EOEO... and only the EOEO part.  :lol:  I'm hesitant to look up Uniq stuff because YIbo looks SO young... I feel weird ogling him hahaha.  

They don't use both languages in one song, but some of their songs (not all) have a Chinese version and a Korean version, like EOEO.  And LOL, Yibo was young when Uniq debuted (so much so that he's still young!).  I don't watch to ogle, but I have come to appreciate/enjoy their music.  I'll share three of my favorite Uniq songs in a cut below (since it's kind of off topic):

Spoiler

Hey, 

Does anyone know how JXK became so close to SZY? I mean i get that during college he was offered a chance to become a professional player and after college he joined a professional team, which i am guessing is not Legends but some other team. But that doesn't explain how he is so close to SZY and how SZY knows about Miya? Cause that is a secret XK didn't even mention to LYX? 

Although there is a part of me that wonders whether QY proactively sidestepped the moment because she was able to figure out how Luo Tian felt about her or whether she was able to sidestep the moment because she was just that clueless.  Which, if that was the case, well, I can see why Luo Tian would be feeling pretty rueful about how it all played out.  What do you guys think?

I personally thought QY was clued in when she saw how he kept her old ID badge on him this whole time, and she was about to decline the dinner date before he used the birthday card which pretty much left her without a choice.  And the way she repeatedly called him teacher at the dinner was her way to respectfully but firmly put him in his place.  I think if he got the sense that she was truly clueless he might have pushed forward with the confession...?

Hoping Luo Tian meets someone in the near future too.  If I had a good candidate or even an idea of the type of person who might be good for him (the obvious answer is: "Someone like QY!"  But I don't know, feels kind of creepy to say that so I don't want to go there), I would totes right a fic about it. :P 

If inspiration strikes and you write about LT meeting someone, I'd totally read that!  As many chapters as you want.  I love a slow burn.  :D

And LOL, Yibo was young when Uniq debuted (so much so that he's still young!).  I don't watch to ogle, but I have come to appreciate/enjoy their music.  I'll share three of my favorite Uniq songs in a cut below (since it's kind of off topic):

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah Yibo's still really young... I already feel too old to be fangirling over him at his current age. :ph34r:  Thanks for sharing the songs!  I really like the first one, it's super catchy.  He has such a calm/soothing singing voice, especially in slow songs.

33 minutes ago, owlstar said:

I personally thought QY was clued in when she saw how he kept her old ID badge on him this whole time, and she was about to decline the dinner date before he used the birthday card which pretty much left her without a choice.  And the way she repeatedly called him teacher at the dinner was her way to respectfully but firmly put him in his place.  I think if he got the sense that she was truly clueless he might have pushed forward with the confession...?

You're right.  I'd forgotten about the whole ID badge scene.  In addition to that element, I'd say she was also attuned to the look from others and not eager to give off the wrong impression, such as when she quickly escaped back to the hotel after other coworkers ended up at the same restaurant as her and Luo Tian. 

I don't know if Luo Tian would've pressed on anyway if he had found her clueless and oblivious though... my inclination is to say "no" because at the end of the day, for all his feelings, he's still respectful of hers.  I think if anything he'd just sigh to himself, but we'd still end up at the rooftop scene with XK.  :P 

39 minutes ago, owlstar said:

If inspiration strikes and you write about LT meeting someone, I'd totally read that!  As many chapters as you want.  I love a slow burn.  

Haha, be careful what you wish for!  I'm the worst when it comes to multi-chaptered stories. I tend to flame out after a while, which is why I try and keep my fics short and sweet.  ;)  I have started another fic in the meantime that's kind of random, but hopefully still fun, so you can keep an eye out for that! 

48 minutes ago, owlstar said:

Yeah Yibo's still really young... I already feel too old to be fangirling over him at his current age. :ph34r:  Thanks for sharing the songs!  I really like the first one, it's super catchy.  He has such a calm/soothing singing voice, especially in slow songs.

LOL, I know how you feel... the first one's my favorite too and the second one, I just like the vibe of it a lot.  You know how some songs will catch a person's ears immediately?  That's "Monster" for me.

I once heard Yibo say in an interview that the one thing he didn't like was his voice, and I was like awwww, because I actually really like his voice!  He may not have debuted because of his singing talents, but I think he's shown a lot of growth through the years in that area.  Speaking of examples of his calm/soothing singing voice, he often names "If I Were Young" as one of his favorite songs on shows and then he's asked to sing a few lines.  Since I also love that song a lot too I can't help but squee.  This is his most recent performance of it, and it's perfect!  Wish I could hear him sing the song in full.  :wub:

1 hour ago, owlstar said:

I personally thought QY was clued in when she saw how he kept her old ID badge on him this whole time, and she was about to decline the dinner date before he used the birthday card which pretty much left her without a choice.  And the way she repeatedly called him teacher at the dinner was her way to respectfully but firmly put him in his place.  I think if he got the sense that she was truly clueless he might have pushed forward with the confession...

I agree with you. I think QY is not actually like your usual clueless female leads. In most dramas the female lead is portrayed as almost completely oblivious to male leads feelings, any other male character's feelings for her and even her own feelings towards the male lead. But I think as a whole GYH has portrayed a slightly different kind of romance. Both of aware of their attraction for the other character and mostly aware of the other character's attraction to them as well. Notice that when QY was running away after the first Miya and JXK confrontation backstage of her concert, she asked XK why he made her misunderstand that he liked her. This tells us that she is not clueless about his feelings. She is well aware of the way she feels about him as well, which is why she openly flirts back when he flirts with her. So I would say that she is quite in tuned to other's feelings (except maybe Pei Xi cause i mean no one knows what the guy is thinking about). I also think that from the conversation she overheard between the GDV president guy and LT kind of made her already suspect something about his feelings for her moving more towards the romantic side cause right after her resignation was handed in and LT offered to walk her out, she out right rejected the offer saying that XK was waiting for her downstairs. If she didn't suspect anything, she probably would have let LT walk her to where JXK was waiting. But the simple fact that she didn't even let him go that far makes me think she already had a hint about the matter.

Anyway, today's analysis rant ends here....:D:D:D

8 hours ago, adla said:

Hey, 

Does anyone know how JXK became so close to SZY? I mean i get that during college he was offered a chance to become a professional player and after college he joined a professional team, which i am guessing is not Legends but some other team. But that doesn't explain how he is so close to SZY and how SZY knows about Miya? Cause that is a secret XK didn't even mention to LYX? 

I'm pretty sure the first team XK joined out of college wasn't Legends, as it's implied he wasn't recruited by Gu Fang until later.  Moreover, if that had been the team he joined back then, there's no reason why he wouldn't have just said so when he shared his background story with QY.  Instead, he told her he joined a club and started his professional career without ever naming that team.  The impression we're left with is that it wasn't any sort of big team/thing, and this was just his first foray into the professional circuit.

As for how he got to be close with SZY, the drama never gives us that backstory.  Instead, I think we're left to form our own picture given what we're shown of their relationship through the drama.  For me, I imagine that XK was a frequent customer at The King and over time that's how they got to be close with SZY taking XK under his wing.  It only seems natural to me then that XK would've at some point shared his story concerning with someone whom he's regards like an older, blood brother. 

18 hours ago, themarchioness said:

LOL, @raziela, I know what you mean.  I feel that way sometimes about these characters too.  I think what I love most is that even a side character in this drama has managed to generate so much conversation for so many days/weeks.  Just goes to show you how well drawn out all the characters are in this drama!

Definitely agree there.  This drama really crafted some memorable and endearing supporting characters

10 hours ago, owlstar said:

If inspiration strikes and you write about LT meeting someone, I'd totally read that!  As many chapters as you want.  I love a slow burn.  :D

I second this!:D

9 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I once heard Yibo say in an interview that the one thing he didn't like was his voice, and I was like awwww, because I actually really like his voice

Really? I haven't listened to any of his other songs but I really like his voice on the Gank Your Heart theme.

8 hours ago, adla said:

I agree with you. I think QY is not actually like your usual clueless female leads. In most dramas the female lead is portrayed as almost completely oblivious to male leads feelings, any other male character's feelings for her and even her own feelings towards the male lead. But I think as a whole GYH has portrayed a slightly different kind of romance. Both of aware of their attraction for the other character and mostly aware of the other character's attraction to them as well. Notice that when QY was running away after the first Miya and JXK confrontation backstage of her concert, she asked XK why he made her misunderstand that he liked her. This tells us that she is not clueless about his feelings. She is well aware of the way she feels about him as well, which is why she openly flirts back when he flirts with her.

I really like what you said about QY being more aware of romantic feelings than most C-drama female leads.  I agree the flirtatious banter between QY and XK is refreshing compared to the typical clueless leads.  I also like that she knew he was attracted to him but she didn't chase him desperately like some female leads.

8 hours ago, adla said:

So I would say that she is quite in tuned to other's feelings (except maybe Pei Xi cause i mean no one knows what the guy is thinking about).

LMAO!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

13 hours ago, adla said:

She is well aware of the way she feels about him as well, which is why she openly flirts back when he flirts with her. So I would say that she is quite in tuned to other's feelings (except maybe Pei Xi cause i mean no one knows what the guy is thinking about). 

I vaguely remember a scene where she was playing with a stuffed animal in bed and talking to herself, and she said something like "I think he likes me."  I remember thinking at the time that it was pretty unusual in a C-drama for a female lead to be so aware/confident of the ML's feelings in the flirting phase, and it was kind of refreshing.  And lol @ Pei Xi... so true though. :lol:

2 hours ago, raziela said:

I haven't listened to any of his other songs but I really like his voice on the Gank Your Heart theme.

I like him singing the theme song too!  Just watched the full MV and it's so cheesy but such a catchy, happy song. :P

16 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Haha, be careful what you wish for!  I'm the worst when it comes to multi-chaptered stories. I tend to flame out after a while, which is why I try and keep my fics short and sweet.  ;)  I have started another fic in the meantime that's kind of random, but hopefully still fun, so you can keep an eye out for that! 

Bring it! :D   Btw are you on Archive of Our Own?  

14 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I once heard Yibo say in an interview that the one thing he didn't like was his voice, and I was like awwww, because I actually really like his voice! He may not have debuted because of his singing talents, but I think he's shown a lot of growth through the years in that area. Speaking of examples of his calm/soothing singing voice, he often names "If I Were Young" as one of his favorite songs on shows and then he's asked to sing a few lines. Since I also love that song a lot too I can't help but squee. This is his most recent performance of it, and it's perfect! Wish I could hear him sing the song in full. :wub:

I can see how he's more comfortable with dancing than singing.  But I really like his quiet singing voice too!  And that little snippet of Nian Shao You Wei is totally perfect!  He should give himself more credit.

Archived