[Movie 2019] Parasite, 기생충 - First Korean film to win Palme D'or, Golden Globe, SAG, BAFTA, and Oscars

sadiesmith

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 21, 2019

'Parasite' sweeps Blue Dragon Awards with five trophies

SEOUL, Nov. 21 (Yonhap) -- Bong Joon-ho's black comedy "Parasite" swept this year's Blue Dragon Awards, one of South Korea's top film honors, taking home five prizes including best film on Thursday.

At the ceremony held at Paradise City in Incheon, the film also clinched the awards for best director and art direction, while Cho Yeo-jeong and Lee Jung-eun won the best actress and best supporting actress prizes, respectively.

It is Bong's third best film honor at the Blue Dragon Awards, after "Host" (2006) and "Mother" (2009).

"Thank you for giving this me big prize," he said after receiving the best director award. "I will be the most creative parasite on the Korean film scene forever."

"Parasite" was the strongest candidate for multiple trophies as it already won the Palme d'Or, the highest award at the Cannes Film Festival, a first in Korean film history. It also attracted an audience of more than 10 million people in South Korea alone.

The film is a family satire that depicts the entrenched social class system through the lives of two families, one rich and one poor, with Bong's humor and suspense.

Jung Woo-sung of "Innocent Witness" was named best actor, and the best supporting actor award was given to Jo Woo-jin for his role in "Default."

Park Hae-soo scored the best new actor gong for his performance in "By Quantum Physics: A Nightlife Venture," while Kim Hye-jun was named best new actress for "Another Child."

The best rookie director award went to Lee Sang-geun of "Exit," while "House of Hummingbird" earned best screenplay.

brk@yna.co.kr

S. Korean actress Jo Yeo-jung

S. Korean actress Jo Yeo-jung

South Korean actress Jo Yeo-jung makes a red carpet appearance at the 40th Blue Dragon Awards at Paradise City resort on Yeongjong Island, 60 kilometers west of Seoul, on Nov. 21, 2019. (Yonhap)

S. Korean actress Park So-dam

Spoiler

South Korean actress Park So-dam makes a red carpet appearance at the 40th Blue Dragon Awards at Paradise City resort on Yeongjong Island, 60 kilometers west of Seoul, on Nov. 21, 2019. (Yonhap)

November 22, 2019

'Parasite' sweeps Blue Dragon Awards

Actress Lee Jeong-un waves as she enters Paradise City Hotel in Incheon Thursday for the 40th Blue Dragon Awards. She received the Best Supporting Actress Award there for her role in 'Parasite.' / Yonhap
Actress Lee Jeong-un waves as she enters Paradise City Hotel in Incheon Thursday for the 40th Blue Dragon Awards. She received the Best Supporting Actress Award there for her role in "Parasite." / Yonhap

By Kang Hyun-kyung The Korea Times

Director Bong Joon-ho's "Parasite" dominated the 40th Blue Dragon Awards on Thursday at Paradise City Hotel in the port city of Incheon.

"Parasite," which won the top prize Palme d'Or at the Cannes International Film Festival earlier this year, was nominated in 11 categories out of 12 and won five awards ― for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress and Best Art.

Director Bong was euphoric in an acceptance speech after winning the Best Director Award.

"This is my first time winning the best director award at the Blue Dragon Awards," he said. "I feel like I stand in the way of other talented directors who were nominated in this category because all of them are younger than I am. But, please forgive me taking this honor this time because it is one I've wanted to win for a long time."

Bong said he would like to be a "parasite," in a positive sense, which can make a creative contribution for Korean cinema.

In an emotional acceptance speech, Cho Yeo-jeong, winner of the Best Actress Award for her role in "Parasite," said she felt a lot of pre-ceremony pressure because of various negative thoughts. "I was afraid this film would not make it only in the Best Actress Award category because of me," she said.

Tears welled up in her eyes. Cho said she was desperate for unknown reasons throughout filming and that sense of desperation pushed her successfully into the shoes of her character to present it well. "I felt like I was a woman in unrequited love and could be dumped any time. My performance in the film shows that kind of desperation," she said.

Another emotional speech came when Lee Jeong-un was named Best Supporting Actress for her role in the same movie.

"These days, what I hear most from people is that my career bloomed much later than they had expected…Well, I should say this to you guys. I needed time to become what I am now, I mean in terms of my look and body shape," she said.

Her remarks sparked laughter from the audience.

Her humor turned into tears as she spoke of her late-blooming career. She rose to stardom for "Parasite," nearly two decades after she initially debuted as a theater actress in 1991.

"You know what? I became scared after I got famous from the movie," she said. "I feel like I deserve a few days of a rest because I made it."

Best Actor Award went to Jung Woo-sung who starred in "Innocent Witness."

Director Kim Bo-ra's debute feature film "House of Hummingbird" won the Best Original Screenplay Awards. The independent film bagged 35 international awards.

Emailhkang@koreatimes.co.kr 

November 23, 2019

‘Parasite’ is a big winner at Blue Dragons

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

22181228.jpg
Blue Dragon Award winners pose with their awards. From left are actors Park Hae-soo, Jo Woo-jin, Kim Hye-jun, Lee Jung-eun, Cho Yeo-jeong, Jung Woo-sung and director Bong Joon-ho. [KOREA PRESS PHOTOGRAPHERS’ ASSOCIATION]

Palme d’Or winner “Parasite” took home Best Picture at the 40th Blue Dragon Film Awards, and out of 18 awards, the film and its actors were nominated in 11 categories and took home a total of five at the award ceremony held at Paradise City hotel in Incheon on Thursday evening.

Praised by critics worldwide for sharply pointing out the disparities between the rich and the poor through two families’ stories, the film was dubbed the film of the year and has been invited to multiple international film events.

Best Director naturally went to director Bong Joon-ho.

“It’s my first time to receive Best Director at the Blue Dragon Film Awards,” said Bong in his acceptance speech. “It is an award I’ve been wanting to receive. I will continue to be a creative ‘parasite’ in Korean cinemas and forever live off the local film industry as a creator.”

Best Actress went to actor Cho Yeo-jeong for her role in “Parasite.”

“I don’t know when, but at some point [in my life] I came to accept acting as a presence that I will always have a crush on,” Cho said as she accepted the award. “I’ve been acting with a mindset that I could always be cast out and thought I could never be loved back. In some way, that was my motivation. But I’m not going to think my love was realized through this award. Even though it may seem like a cliche thing to say, I will silently go on my way. I will love [acting] as passionately as I do now.”

Jung Woo-sung received Best Actor for “Innocent Witness.” Best Supporting Actor went to Jo Woo-jin for “Default,” which depicts the 1997 Korean Financial Crisis and focuses on a clash between those struggling to protect their own interests and others working toward a just cause. Lee Jung-eun went home with Best Supporting Actress for her outstanding performance in Bong’s film.

Other winners include director Lee Sang-geun, who was awarded Best New Director for the comedy-apocalypse film “Exit” and Best Screenplay went to director Kim Bo-ra for “House of Hummingbird,” which swept numerous international film festival awards over the year for tenderly depicting a 14-year-old girl’s coming-of-age based on a real tragedy - the collapse of the Seongsu Bridge in 1994.

The ceremony also brought out stars that haven’t been seen in a while. Actor Kim Woo-bin was the presenter of the award show, marking his first public appearance after a two-year and six-month hiatus. The actor was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer in May 2017, and he stepped out of the spotlight to focus on his treatment and recovery.

Another familiar face who attended the event as presenter was actor Lee Young-ae, who has recently returned to the entertainment world after a 14-year hiatus. The actor will appear in the upcoming film “Bring Me Home,” which arrives in theaters on Nov. 27.

The Blue Dragon Film Awards chooses the nominees from films released from Oct. 12, 2018 to Oct. 10 this year based on a survey of industry insiders. The final winners are chosen by eight judges and online votes from movie fans.

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

An interesting clip to watch featuring two Korean film critics and particularly Darcy Paquet who provided the English subs for Parasite. He had also translated all BJH's movies except Okja.

Published on October 9, 2019 by 뭅뭅

EP.5 The Handmaiden, PARASITE Korean Film Translator Darcy' story!

December 4, 2019

'Parasite' awarded best foreign language film by National Board of Review

SEOUL, Dec. 4 (Yonhap) -- Bong Joon-ho's acclaimed "Parasite" has been named the best foreign language film by the National Board of Review (NBR) of the United States.

The New York-based organization made up of film enthusiasts, academics, professionals and filmmakers announced the winners of its 2019 awards on Tuesday (U.S. time).

Martin Scorsese's Netflix drama "The Irishman" won the best film award while Quentin Tarantino picked up the best director for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."

The best actor and actress honors went to Adam Sandler of "Uncut Gems" and Renee Zellweger of "Judy."

The awards ceremony will be held on Jan. 8 in New York, the group said.

The NBR awards are widely seen as an indicator of the Academy Awards.

"Parasite," which won the top award at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival, is South Korea's entry to the best international feature film category at the Oscars. The event is scheduled for February.

The black comedy also won the best director, best screenplay and best foreign language film awards from the Atlanta Film Critics Circle this week.

December 5, 2019

HOTEL BY THE RIVER Tops Busan Film Critics Awards
LEE Jung-eun and KI Joo-bong Take Top Acting Prizes in Busan

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

Auteur Hong Sangsoo topped this year’s 20th Busan Film Critics Association Awards by taking the Best Film prize for his film Hotel by the River. The indie film also picked up the Best Actor Prize for its lead KI Joo-bong.

Hotel by the River, Hong’s 23rd film, initially debuted in competition at the Locarno International Film Festival last year, where KI also picked up the Best Actor prize.

Meanwhile the Best Actress Award went to LEE Jung-eun, for her breakout role as the housekeeper in BONG Joon-ho’s PARASITE, and LEE Kang-hyun’s indie film Possible Faces was selected for a Jury Prize.

Busan’s film critics decided to award both KANG Jin-a and CHO Min-kyung as Best New Performers, for their roles in To My River and February, respectively. The Best New Director prize was similarly split, between LEE Sang-geun for the disaster-comedy hit EXIT and KANG Sang-woo for the documentary KIM-GUN (2018).

Finally, the Technical Award went to KANG Kuk-hyun, the cinematographer of KIM Bora’s House of Hummingbird. The awards ceremony for this year’s Busan Film Critics Awards will take place on December 13 at the Korean Film Center in Busan’s Centum district.

To commemorate their 20th anniversary, the Busan Film Critics Association is also hosting screenings of three past Korean works, Viva! Love (2008), M (2007) and Gooseflesh (2001).

‘Parasite’ takes home more awards

By Lee Jae-lim INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

The 91st National Board of Review Awards picked Palme d’Or winner “Parasite” as the Best Foreign Language Film, local media reported on Wednesday.

The American award ceremony usually signals the beginning of successive film awards that ultimately lead up to Academy Awards in February.

Best Film went to “The Irishman,” and Adam Sandler of “Uncut Gems” and Renee Zellweger from “Judy” took home the Best Actor and Best Actress awards.

Best Director was given to Quentin Tarantino for his film “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.” Brad Pitt received Best Supporting Actor for his role in the film.

Director Bong Joon-ho’s latest “Parasite” has been receiving awards at international film festivals throughout the year. On Monday, the film took home three awards from the Atlanta Film Critics Circle (AFCC) - Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Foreign Language Film.

The movie also made it to the Top 10 Films list picked by the association this year. The film was also selected as Korea’s official pick for the Best Foreign Language Film award at next year’s Oscars.

December 6, 2019

Bong Jon-ho's 'Parasite' Named 3rd Best Movie of the Year

Source: Arirang News via The ChosunIlbo

Bong Joon-ho's film "Parasite" has a high chance of winning best foreign film at the Academy Awards, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

The daily ranked the film third on its list of best movies of this year, saying no other film makes viewers feel "sadder about the state of the world and more jubilant about the state of movies."

"Parasite" won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year and has been praised as one of the biggest achievements in Korean film history.

Gold Derby, an American awards prediction website, currently ranks "Parasite" fourth on the list of possible winners for best picture award and third for best director.

The film has been submitted for the best foreign film category at the Oscars, which are awarded in Los Angeles in February.

PARASITE Takes Best Feature Film at 13th Asian Pacific Screen Awards
2nd Korean Film to Take Top Prize at APSAs

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

Director BONG Joon-ho has triumphed once again with his latest film PARASITE, which has earned the Best Feature Film Award from this year’s 13th Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSAs).

BONG’s first fully Korean-language work in ten years, PARASITE began its sensational awards and box office run when it screened in competition at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, where it became the first ever Korean film to earn the Palme d’Or. The film went on to welcome over ten million viewers in Korea and became a box office hit in several countries, including the United States where it is currently screening and has to date grossed over USD 18 million, making it the highest earning foreign-language release of the year in that market.

PARASITE is the second Korean film to take the top award at the APSAs, following LEE Chang-dong’s win for Secret Sunshine at the first ever edition in 2007. BONG’s films been among the main award winners before, when KIM Hye-ja won the Best Performance by an Actress prize for her role in his 2009 film Mother. 

Other Korean films to be nominated at this year’s Asia Pacific Screen Awards included KIM Bora’s House of Hummingbird, for which PARK Ji-hu was nominated for Best Performance by an Actress, and Best Animated Feature nominee Underdog. Korean cinematographer KIM Hyun-seok was also nominated for his work on the Chinese film So Long, My Son.

‘Parasite’ wins AFI Special Awards

Source: The DONG-A ILBO

“‘Parasite’ has already disrupted the film industry. Will it disrupt the Oscars too?” The Washington Post reported on Wednesday (local time).

The Variety reported the same day that Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite” has won Special Awards from the American Film Institute (AFI). As “Roma” won the best foreign language award last year, many critics are raising the possibility of “Parasite” winning an Oscar in February next year.

Founded in 1967, the AFI selects and announces each of the 10 best movies and dramas every year. The movie Parasite did not make the list as only American-produced works are qualified. The Special Award for TV programs went to the British drama “Fleabag.” “Parasite” was selected Tuesday as the best foreign language film by the National Board of Review (NBR). The Korean movie was also ranked the third for the 2019 best film list by the New York Times critics.

“Korean language class thriller has become a darling of both critics and audiences since coming out two months ago,” said The Washington Post. “A victory would “probably prompt grumbling from some observers and rivals that Oscar voters are out of touch with mass tastes.”

Taek Kyoon Sohn sohn@donga.com

December 9, 2019

'Parasite' named best film by L.A. film critics

SEOUL, Dec. 9 (Yonhap) -- South Korean auteur Bong Joon-ho's family satire "Parasite" has been awarded three prizes, including Best Film, by the film critics association in Los Angeles, the association said Monday.

The L.A. Film Critics Association said it chose "Parasite," the winner of this year's Cannes' Palme d'Or, as the best film of the year, with Martin Scorsese's crime film "Irishman" coming in next.

Moreover, Best Director was given to the film's director Bong Joon-ho, while actor Song Kang-ho won the honor of best supporting actor.

"Parasite" also earned best production design and best screenplay runner-up nods, following Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" and Noah Baumbach's "Marriage Story," respectively.

The Korean film, which depicts the entrenched social class system through the lives of two extreme families, has made an auspicious start in North America and has become a hopeful to win an Oscar trophy in February.

Hitting North American screens in October, "Parasite" has raked in nearly US$20 million in ticket sales stateside, the highest-grossing Korean film in the United States ever.

It took home the awards for best picture, best director and best foreign film at this year's Toronto Film Critics Association Awards, while it also won the best foreign language film award from the National Board of Review.

brk@yna.co.kr

December 9, 2019

'Parasite' earns three Golden Globe nominations

SEOUL, Dec. 9 (Yonhap) -- South Korean director Bong Joon-ho's black comedy "Parasite" was nominated in three categories for the upcoming 2020 Golden Globe Awards, organizers said Monday.

In the nominations for the 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards to be held at Beverley Hills on Jan. 5 next year, "Parasite" was listed in the categories of Best Foreign Language Film, Best Director and Best Screenplay.

It is the first time that a South Korean film has made it to the final list of the Golden Globe Awards, as chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

In the Best Foreign Language Film category, "Parasite" will compete with "The Farewell" by Lulu Wang, "Pain and Glory" by Pedro Almodovar, "Les Miserables" by Ladj Ly and "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" by Celine Sciamma.

Bong will vie for the Best Director award with Todd Phillips of "Joker," Martin Scorsese of "The Irishman," Quentin Tarantino of "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and Sam Mendes, who directed "1917."

In the Best Screenplay section, the South Korean film's competitors are "Marriage Story" written and directed by Noah Baumbach, "The Two Popes" written by Anthony McCarten, "The Irishman" and "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."

"Parasite," Bong's seventh feature film, revolves around two families, one rich and one poor, who become entangled, leading to a series of unexpected violent mishaps. It won the top prize, the Palme d'Or, at this year's Cannes Film Festival.

Since its U.S. release in October, it has raked in nearly US$20 million in ticket sales stateside, making it the highest-grossing Korean film there.

It has collected a number of trophies at U.S. film festivals and awards, including the Best Film prize given by the L.A. Film Critics Association.

Moreover, it was selected as South Korea's entry to the category of the best foreign-language film at the upcoming Academy Awards slated for February. U.S. media also consider the film a candidate for the best picture and best director awards.

brk@yna.co.kr

Source: 쉼표 @rmflrhdhsmf

77th Golden Globe January 5, 2020

A nice Forbes article introducing other works by the Parasite actors:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2019/12/10/five-korean-tv-dramas-to-see-the-parasite-actors-shine-in/#5ffa17a17c97

Five Korean TV Dramas To See The ‘Parasite’ Actors Shine In

Joan MacDonaldContributor 
Hollywood & Entertainment
I'm a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film.

Hogu's Love

'Parasite' star Choi Woo-sik demonstrates his comedic charm in 'Hogu's Love," also starring Uee.

TVN

Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite continues to make international film history, recently racking up three nominations for the upcoming 2020 Golden Globe Awards. Although none of the actors in the film were nominated for a Golden Globe, the film is very much an ensemble effort by a team of talented actors. While Song Kang-ho, who played the head of the beleaguered Kim family, is primarily a gifted film actor with a range of interesting must-see roles, the other members of the cast have also demonstrated their acting range in several TV dramas.

Part of the film’s initial comedic charm is delivered by actor Choi Woo-sik, as the resume-forging English tutor to the wealthy Park family. The Korean-Canadian actor has been landing film and drama roles for almost a decade. He won an Actor of the Year award for his role in the coming of age film Set Me Free and appeared in the films Train to Busan and Okja. But he’s also a winning romantic comedy actor, as can be seen in Hogu’s Love, a comedy about a single mom, played by Uee, and the man who foolishly, devotedly loves her. 

Lee Jung-eun

Lee Jung-eun plays Gong Hyo Jin's mom in 'When The Camellia Blooms.'

KBS

Lee Jung-eun plays the Park housekeeper, a woman whose meticulous management allows the Park family to live their comfortable life, but her character is also a woman with a dark secret. The actress, who has appeared in almost 100 films and dramas was most recently seen in When The Camellia Blooms, deftly playing Gong Hyo Jin’s mysterious mother. The actress was in no less than five television dramas this year and also had roles in the highly praised films Another Child  and Miss Baek, which starred Han Ji-min.

Jo Yeo-jeong

Jo Yeo-Jeong plays a desperate cleaning woman in 'Woman of 9.9 Billion,' reuniting with co-star Kim ... [+]

KBS2

Jo Yeo-jeong, who plays the wealthy mom in the Park family, now appears in the TV drama Woman of 9.9 Billion in the role of a desperate cleaning woman drowning under the weight of her repressive life. Married to an abusive husband, played menacingly by Jung Woong-in, her only release is an affair with a man who may not actually care for her. The role is dramatically different from the one she played in Parasite, a testament to her acting skills. Jo is best known for her leading roles in the films The Servant and The Concubine, as well as the TV dramas Haeundae Lovers and I Need Romance. 

Spoiler

Lee Sun Kyun

Lee Sun-kyun's character in 'My Mister' is rescued from a humdrum life when he helps a vulnerable ... [+]

TVN

Lee Sun-kyun plays the father of Parasite’s well-to-do Park family and although his character is not quite a villain, he’s a pretty shallow and generally unlikable. Lee plays a very different role in My Mister, a TV drama about a middle-aged man, whose life changes when he helps a vulnerable girl, played by singer-actress IU. It’s easy to see how Lee’s Parasite character is an example of acting skill after seeing his subtle, tender performance in My Mister. Lee is also known for his roles in the dramas Pasta and Coffee Prince.

Spoiler

Park So Dam

Park So Dam shares popcorn with Jung Il-woo in 'Cinderella and the Four Knights.'

TVN

Park So-dam, who plays the faux art tutor Ki-Jung in Parasite, did not take long to get noticed as an actress. She made a strong impression with her performance in the film The Silenced, winning a Best Supporting Actress award from the Busan Film Critics. She has appeared in several acclaimed films, including Veteran, The Throne and won praise for her role as a possessed high school student in The Priests. But the smart articulate actress is also good at comedy, appearing in the fairy tale romcom Cinderella and The Four Knights, with Jung Il-woo, Ahn Jae Hyun and Lee Jung-shin, as a poor girl who gets to live with three princely heirs.

The praise that Parasite has earned will hopefully earn these talented actors a wider, more international audience.   

Follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn. Check out my website.

Spoiler

Joan MacDonald

I am a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film. Since 2013, my stories on Korean media and culture have been published in the Los Angeles Review of Books, Kultsce...

Highlight by Jason Bechervaise @Jasebechervaise

December 10, 2019

'Parasite' nominated in 7 categories for Critics' Choice Awards

SEOUL, Dec. 10 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean black comedy "Parasite" has earned seven nominations, including best picture and best director, at the upcoming Critics' Choice Awards.

According to the nominations announced by the American-Canadian Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA) on Sunday (U.S. time), "Parasite," directed by Bong Joon-ho, was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Foreign-Language Film, Best Acting Ensemble, Best Production Design and Best Editing for the 25th annual Critics' Choice Awards.

The awards are presented annually by BFCA to honor the finest in cinematic achievement.

For the Best Picture section, "Parasite" will compete with 10 films, including "The Irishman" by Martin Scorsese, "Marriage Story" by Noah Baumbach, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" by Quentin Tarantino and "Joker" by Todd Phillips.

Along with Bong, Baumbach, Scorsese and Tarantino are also among the seven nominees for Best Director, while "Parasite," "Marriage Story," "Knives Out," "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and "The Farewell" are candidates for the Best Original Screenplay award.

In the Best Foreign-Language Film section, "Parasite" will contend with "Atlantics" by Mati Diop, "Les Miserables" by Ladj Ly, "Pain and Glory" by Pedro Almodovar and "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" by Celine Sciamma.

Meanwhile, "The Irishman" led the Critics' Choice Awards nominees with a total of 14 mentions, followed by "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" with 12 nods.

The winners of the 2020 Critics' Choice Awards will be announced on Jan. 12 next year.

Meanwhile, "Parasite," the top award winner of this year's Cannes Film Festival, was nominated in three categories, including the best director for the Golden Globe Awards, revealed Monday.

Moreover, it has been awarded major prizes at U.S. film festivals and awards, considered precursors of the Oscar awards next year.

It captured three trophies, including Best Film given by the L.A. Film Critics Association, and took home the awards for best picture, best director and best foreign film at this year's Toronto Film Critics Association Awards. It also won the best foreign language film award from the National Board of Review.

"Parasite," Bong's seventh feature film, revolves around two families, one rich and one poor, who become entangled, leading to a series of unexpected violent mishaps.

brk@yna.co.kr

December 12, 2019

The Tonight Show makes an exception for Bong Joon-ho

5df16e820ef7d2738245.jpg

South Korean movie director Bong Joon-ho who is sweeping awards for his latest movie “Parasite” made an appearance on NBC’s “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Monday and showed off his sense of humor. His quips were as good as Jimmy Fallon’s and got laughs from the audience.

When asked to describe the record-breaking movie, Bong sulkily said, “I’d like to say as little as possible,” which baffled his host. “Because the film is best when you go into it cold,” the director explained. Fallon said he was the first guest who would not speak in a talk show.

U.S. magazine Vanity Fair said, “Parasite Director Bong Joon-ho might be the best late-night guest ever.” Bong appeared on the show with a female interpreter. U.S. talk shows try not to have an interpreter on the show as it can disrupt conversation flows. However, the rumor has it that The Tonight Show did not mind Bong bringing his interpreter as it really wanted to have him on the show. The Tonight Show made an exception for Director Bong Joon-ho by allowing him to be on the show with his interpreter, reported The Magazine Hollywood Reporter.

The Tonight Show, which is one of the best-known talk shows in the United States, interviews three to four guests for 50 minutes. Bong was the first guest of the show, something that Hollywood stars covet.

Mi-Kyung Jung mickey@donga.com

December 16, 2019

'Parasite' Sweeps Chicago Film Critics Association Awards

Arirang News via The ChosunIlbo

2019121600688_0.jpg

Director Bong Joon-ho's film "Parasite" swept this year's Chicago Film Critics Association Awards, scooping four honors on Saturday.

It was named the best film of the year and also won best foreign film, best director and best screenplay.

The association said the film won four honors for its "masterful send up of classism and capitalism."

"Parasite," the first Korean film to win the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, has recently been nominated for three Golden Globes -- best foreign language film, best director and best screenplay.

It is widely tipped to be shortlisted for best foreign language film at the Academy Awards slated for February next year..

'Parasite' wins four awards from Chicago Film Critics Association

SEOUL, Dec. 16 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's black comedy film "Parasite" bagged four trophies, including best picture from the Chicago Film Critics Association (CFCA), continuing its award-winning rally in the United States in the runup to the Oscar ceremony early next year.

According to the announcement by the CFCA released Saturday (U.S. time), "Parasite," directed by Bong Joon-ho, won best picture, best foreign language film, best director and best original screenplay.

"Little Women" by Greta Gerwig also earned four awards of best adapted screenplay, best original score, best costume design and best supporting actress for Florence Pugh.

"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" by Quentin Tarantino collected two wins for best art direction and best supporting actor for Brad Pitt.

The awards of best actor and best actress went to Adam Driver from "Marriage Story" and Lupita Nyong'o from "US," respectively.

The Korean flick, which depicts the entrenched social class system through the lives of two extreme families, has been loading up on major trophies in North American film awards and has become a strong hopeful to win a trophy at the 92nd Academy Awards in February.

It captured three trophies, including best film given by the L.A. Film Critics Association, and took home the awards for best picture, best director and best foreign film at this year's Toronto Film Critics Association Awards. It also won the best foreign language film award from the National Board of Review.

Moreover, "Parasite," the top award winner of this year's Cannes Film Festival, was nominated in three categories, including the best director for the Golden Globe Awards slated for Jan. 5.

Organizers of the Oscar Awards will reveal its 10-film shortlist for best international feature film later in the day out of a number of non-English films submitted by each country.

About a year ago, South Korea's "Burning" directed by Lee Chang-dong made it to the December shortlist but failed to be included in the final.

For the 2020 competition, "Parasite" has been selected as South Korea's entry to the category.

The final five nominees will be announced Jan. 13, along with full nominations of other categories.

brk@yna.co.kr

December 17, 2019

PARASITE Cast Scores Rare Screen Actors Guild Best Ensemble Nomination
YANG Jin-mo Lands Prestigious Best Editing Nod from ACE

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

Hot on the heels of its historic three nominations at the Golden Globes, BONG Joon-ho’s PARASITE has landed a prestigious nomination for Best Ensemble at the forthcoming 26th Annual Screen Actors Guild (SAG) awards, as well as a nod in the Best Film Editing - Drama category of the 70th ACE (American Cinema Editors) Eddie Awards.

While the actors of PARASITE weren’t featured in any individual acting categories, BONG’s film received a nomination for Best Ensemble, a section which is seen as the body’s best film award equivalent. SONG Kang-ho, LEE Sun-kyun, JO Yeo-jeong, CHOI Woo-shik, PARK So-dam, JANG Hye-jin, LEE Jung-eun, PARK Myeong-hoon, JEONG Ji-so and JEONG Hyeon-jun make up the ensemble that has been recognized by SAG. It is only the second time for a foreign language film to be nominated for Best Ensemble, following Roberto BENIGNI’s Life Is Beautiful in 1997.

The cast of PARASITE will be facing off against the actors of Bombshell, The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Considering the overlap between the SAG and Academy Award voters, this Best Ensemble nomination further strengthens PARASITE’s chances of landing a Best Film nomination at the Academy Awards next month.

Equally impressive is YANG Jin-mo’s nomination for Best Film Editing in the drama category from ACE’s Eddie Awards. YANG is nominated alongside Jeff GROTH for Joker, Jennifer LAME for Marriage Story, Michael McCUSKER and Andrew BUCKLAND for Ford V Ferrari as well as Thelma SCHOONMAKER for The Irishman.

YANG is one of Korea’s top editors, whose credits include BONG’s Okja (2017), JANG Joon-hwan’s 1987: When the Day Comes (2017), KIM Jee-woon’s The Age of Shadows (2016) and YEON Sang-ho’s TRAIN TO BUSAN (2016).

'Parasite' Earns Honors in San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver

Source: Arirang News via The ChosunIlbo

Director Bong Joon-ho's film "Parasite" has swept awards given by critics associations in cities in North America -- San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver.

"Parasite" received best director, best original screenplay and best foreign language film awards from the San Francisco Bay Area Film Critics Circle on Monday, while the Seattle Film Critics Society honored the film with five awards, including best picture of the year.

Bong's film also scooped up three top honors from the Vancouver Film Critics Circle.

‘Parasite’ earns four awards from Chicago Film Critics Association

South Korea’s Oscar entry “Parasite” has won four trophies from the Chicago Film Critics Association (CFCA) including best picture, best director, best original screenplay, and best foreign language film.

The black comedy film’s director Bong Joon-ho also won the best director, according to the foreign press Sunday (local time). “Parasite” was a film with the most wins together with “Little Women” by Greta Gerwig, which picked up four awards of best adapted screenplay, best original score, best costume design, and best supporting actress. Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” received two awards, namely best art direction and best supporting actor.

Continuing its award-winning rally in the United States, the South Korean film has become a strong candidate to win a trophy at the Academy Awards in February next year. It took home the awards for best picture, best director, and best supporting actor from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, and bagged the trophies for best picture, best director, and best foreign film at the Toronto Film Critics Association Awards. The satire also won the best picture, best director, and best screenplay awards at the New York Film Critics Online Awards.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), which hosts the annual Academy Awards, will announce the shortlist for best international feature film (previously known as best foreign language film) on Monday. With “Parasite” having earned a nomination Wednesday for the awards given by the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), many of whose members are in the AMPAS, expectations are growing that the movie could bag a trophy at the Oscars.

Seo-Hyun Lee baltika7@donga.com

December 17, 2019

'Parasite' shortlisted for Oscars' best international film

SEOUL, Dec. 17 (Yonhap) -- Bong Joon-ho's black comedy "Parasite" was shortlisted for best international feature film at the upcoming Academy Awards, U.S. media reported Tuesday, raising hopes that it might become the first South Korean film to win an Oscar.

According to the Hollywood Reporter and other entertainment news media, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) revealed the list of 10 contenders for the category, previously called the best foreign language film, out of 91 films.

The nine other films on the shortlist were "The Painted Bird" by Vaclav Marhoul from Czech Republic, "Truth and Justice" by Tanel Toom from Estonia, "Les Miserables" by Ladj Ly from France, "Those Who Remained" by Barnabas Toth from Hungary, "Honeyland" co-directed by Tamara Kotevska and Ljubomir Stefanov from North Macedonia, "Corpus Christi" by Jan Komasa from Poland, "Beanpole" by Kantemir Balagov from Russia, "Atlantics" Mati Diop from Senegal and "Pain and Glory" by Pedro Almodovar from Spain.

For the non-English-language movie category, a country submits a single film as their official representative, and the movies vie for five nominations. "Parasite" was selected as South Korea's entry to the best international feature film category in August.

"Parasite" was also included in the 15-film shortlist of the original song category. "A Glass of Soju," lyrics by Bong Joon-ho, will vie for the final nominations with "Speechless" from "Aladdin," "Into The Unknown" from "Frozen II" and "Spirit" from "The Lion King."

The final five nominees of each section will be announced on Jan. 13 along with the full nominations for the other categories, and the ceremony is scheduled for Feb. 9 at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron's "Roma" won the title this year.

It is the second time that a South Korea-produced movie has made it to the 10-film shortlist, following Lee Chang-dong's "Burning" last year. But Lee's mystery drama failed to be included in the final of the 91st Oscars.

For the 92nd Academy Awards, however, "Parasite" is widely considered to be the strongest challenger for best international feature film on a stack of trophies that the movie has collected since May, when it won Cannes' highest prize, the Palme d'Or.

It captured three trophies, including best film, from the L.A. Film Critics Association, and took home the awards for best picture, best director and best foreign film at this year's Toronto Film Critics Association Awards. It also won the best foreign language film award from the National Board of Review.

The Chicago Film Critics Association gave "Parasite" four prizes, including best picture and best director.

It has been nominated in three categories, including best director, for the Golden Globe Awards slated for Jan. 5.

For the Academy Awards, it has emerged as a candidate for best picture, best director and best screenplay along with Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," Todd Phillips' "Joker" and Martin Scorsese's "The Irishman."

The film is a family satire that depicts the entrenched social class system through the lives of two families, one rich and one poor, with Bong's trademark humor and suspense.

brk@yna.co.kr

December 18, 2019

Bong Joon-ho’s ‘Parasite’ advances on Oscars best international film shortlist

Source: The DONG-A Ilbo

Bong Joon-ho’s black comedy “Parasite” has been shortlisted for best international feature film at the 92nd Academy Awards to be held on February 9.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) revealed Monday (local time) contenders of nine categories including international feature, documentary feature, documentary short, makeup and hairstyling, song, score, live-action and animated short.

“A Glass of Soju” from the movie is also nominated for best original song category. Bong wrote the lyrics and actor Choi Woo-sik who played Ki-taek in the film sang the song. The lyrics representing weary lives of the youth were put onto a song composed by musical director Jeong Jae-il. “I would like to suggest viewers to listen to the lyrics of the end-credit song,” said Bong when the film was released in Korea.

The final nominations for the awards will be announced on January 13, while best picture and director nominations will be announced on the same day. The ceremony will be held on February 9 at Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles.

Seo-Hyun Lee baltika7@donga.com

December 18, 2019

Jo Yeo-jung and Lee Jung-eun to Participate in Golden Globe Awards Ceremony

By William Schwartz on HanCinema.net

photo1133774.jpg

On December 18th Jo Yeo-jung's agency confirmed that the actress would be participating in the upcoming Golden Globes ceremony that will be taking place on January 5th. Though Jo Yeo-jung is currently starring in the leading role of the popular drama "Woman of 9.9 Billion", she reportedly has received a brief enough reprieve to attend the ceremony and come back.

Though Jo Yeo-jung is not up for any awards directly at the Golden Globes, "Parasite" has three overall nominations, and attending the ceremony is a good chance to further improve her profile. "Woman of 9.9 Billion" has been popular in part because of the fame earned by Jo Yeo-Jung In her award-winning role in the internationally acclaimed film.

Shooting for "Woman of 9.9 Billion" also appears to be going smoothly, given that Jo Yeo-jung was able to receive the break. This indirect news is a welcome reprieve for a local drama industry that has faced much criticism for intolerable working environments that too often left everything up until the last minute.

In related news, actress Lee Jung-eun has also been confirmed to be attending the ceremony, in a similar capacity. However, in Lee Jung-eun's case work accomodations were not necessary, as she was able to pencil in the event in the context of a personal family trip. Lee Jung-eun is not currently working on a project, though she has been confirmed to be appearing in the drama "I've Been There Once", which will start airing next year on March 21st.

Written by William Schwartz

December 19, 2019

Director, actor of Cannes-winning 'Parasite' awarded cultural medal

By Yonhap via The Korea Herald

Director Bong Joon-ho and actor Song Kang-ho of Cannes-winning film "Parasite" were awarded national cultural medals for their contributions to the promotion of the Korean film industry, the South Korean government said Thursday.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism said that it gave the Eungwan Order of Cultural Merit, the second highest class of the South Korean cultural decoration, to Bong and the fourth-highest Okgwan medal to Song during a ceremony held at the National Theater of Korea in central Seoul.

20191219000679_0.jpg

(Yonhap)

Bong's seventh feature, "Parasite," starring Song, won the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, becoming the first Korea-made film to clinch the highest prize at the world-renowned cinematic competition.

The black comedy-thriller, which depicts the entrenched social class divisions through two extreme families, has also emerged as a candidate for best international feature film of the Academy Awards.

"Director Bong has contributed to improving the status of Korean film on the international stage thanks to his critically acclaimed and commercially successful features, including 'Barking Dogs Never Bite,' 'Memories of Murder,' 'The Host,' 'Mother' and 'Snowpiercer,'" the ministry said in a release.

It also credited Song for his role in developing the Korean film industry on the back of a series of box office-hit movies, like "The Host," "Snowpiercer," "The Attorney" and "A Taxi Driver."

Kim Ki-duk, who won the Golden Lion award for "Pieta" at Venice film festival in 2012, received the Eungwan medal in the same year, while Park Chan-wook was given the third-grade Bogwan decoration in 2004 for winning the Cannes' No. 2 prize for "Oldboy." (Yonhap)

Archived